What are the best freight agent broker qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 182)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What is the best training for becoming a freight agent broker? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective freight agent broker?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

don jipping in Columbus, Ohio

93 months ago

On the job training is the best. Learn as much as you can from all sources,(internet,drivers,shippers,brokers,etc.)
Get yourself a position with a brokerage firm as an agent/dispatcher.
A certificate of training from a brokerage school is not necessary, but it will add to your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

both methods should be utilized, although phone is best.

Script? Need any trucks?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Roanoke, Texas

93 months ago

the best type of training is what is best for you. Some companies offer a one day seminar and some offer a full week. You can even take an on-line course.
The main reason for the school is to gt knowledge.
Knowledge is just knowledge unless you use it then it becomes wisdom.

Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Roanoke, Texas

93 months ago

I agree with Atex. You will find your niche or it will find you. Focus n what you do best or what contacts you have or even the area you work out of.

Some broker only handle produce, some only heavy haul,...
Try to narrow your niche and go for 10 regular customers and try to use the same carriers.

If you can manage this you will prosper in this business.
My niche has always been expedited freight so that means I turn away a lot of freight. That's okay because I know how to manage my niche and who to call when I need service.

Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hardly workin in Kingsland, Georgia

93 months ago

the best training for becoming a freight agent is to have a wealthy relative or a contact in a big global corporation;if you don't have that welcome to the world of reverse auctions where the lowest bidder wins...good luck....hope you already have a subsidised income....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in FLorida in Tampa, Florida

93 months ago

It doesn't take any formal training or certificates. It does however help to work with another agent to learn the ropes, even if it's for a lower percentage than you'd like. Eventually you'll be ready to do it on your own. The business is a great business, the only one I can think of that a person with no formal education or degree can make more than most doctors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Keller, Texas

92 months ago

A few of the training schools will train you and you can even get 100% FA through DARS or the VA if your disabled.

I think a combination of training and hands on with an exsisiting brokerage is a great mix after you graduate from class.

I am not promoting my school. You should research all schools off-line and on-line and check references.

Moving forward,

Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

john in ohio said: ok tell me where to go then. i have 16 yrs of longhaul with a reefer all 48 states. i want or i should say i have to stop driving i had shoulder surgery in Dec. and i cant drive the big trucks anymore. i need a new job and want to stay in this field.being in the brokering field whould be a good change.so if u can help plz do and tks

after 16 years in the business, surly you have made some contacts. Start calling and asking around, check the phone book for brokers and or carriers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Keller, Texas

91 months ago

You never know when a relationship is going to make or break you.

I remember one year when General Motors called in 180 loads over Christmas. To find that many trucks on the spot would have been impossible. But, since we had developed a relationship with the best-equipped carrier in the business, had paid them quickly at a good rate, they gladly helped us out. We made a few calls and they took every one of the loads. When we had reached our credit limit with that carrier ($100,000), we wired money to them immediately. They increased our credit line and picked up every load. This particular deal simply took a few calls, but only because we had spent years nurturing that relationship.

Who do you think we called first for every load after that?

They never back-solicited us, and we sold the same type of expedited service that they provided. What could have been a Christmas nightmare for our customer actually brightened our everyone's Christmas.

Be thinking about startegic alliiance's. Start now building those
key relationships. Zig Ziglar always says it best.

"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want". I love to listen to Zig because he always makes me laugh and his message is always dead on.

Have a great freight day.

JR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

quintin in Blacklick, Ohio

89 months ago

I would love some background information about being a freight broker. I would love to have training and some partnership into the field hoping to have a firm determined co-operation with a hardworking partner/partners into having the best business we can manage to make. Please feel much welcomed to give me as much information as you can for example, the challenges expected, the ways to go around the bumpy roads, the best region to project eyes at and many more. God bless you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Philip in San Antonio, Texas

89 months ago

How do you get started as an agent if all the brokers want you to have a client base before they will take you on?
I have been in the trucking business for a while and own a couple of dump trucks but want to get into the broker/agent part of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Freight broker learner in South Amboy, New Jersey

89 months ago

Hi, my name is Harry, I was driving truck for almost 4 years, now i lost my job, and i wish i can learn how to become a freight broker, i do not have money to pay for any class, i wish i can find someone who can teach me some practical skills. Thx.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Freight broker learner in South Amboy, New Jersey

89 months ago

john in ohio in West Alexandria, Ohio said: if you need a job let me know i may b able to fine one for you with my co. we go to nj alot. do u have refer exp and west coast exp.

I dont think i would drive a truck and also i was driving in the city (NY) and had an accident.... so... i trying to get in freight broker sphere, thanks anyway if that job was about driving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CCB in NC

89 months ago

What is involved in getting a license? Do I need a certificate? Is it a test? Just started looking into this. Been in the transportation industry for 28 years. Airline, not trucking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Keller, Texas

89 months ago

www.fmcsa.gov

Go to this web site and you can order a license on-line or
go to DOT Auth.com and they can do it for you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Keller, Texas

88 months ago

Being a broker will mean you have to pay the carrier first before getting paid by your shipper. Being a new broker means you will often have to pay the carrier up to two weeks prior to receiving your money from the shipper. So yes you can easily make 3000K being a broker but you will first need a 10k bond, authority, training and substantial cash flow just to operate your business. Being a freight broker agent requires nothing more than knowledge and a broker that will put you on as an agent. You can do it from home. The secret is to keep your fixed cost as low aI say crawl, walk, run then run faster than everyone else.

I would never advise anyone to open a brokerage when so many brokers are willing to set you up and continue training you after you gain some type of initial training. Being an agent - you still own your own business, you do not need a license or a bond or cash flow. You just need to be able to work hard everyday.

This is not a get rich quick business and to make 300k a year will require years in business.
if your not careful and make wise decisions when your starting out, you will end up with a bond, a mc number and no business. If you have to use a factoring company - then it makes more sense to be a freight broker agent. Why?
Because not only does a broker assist the agent with cash flow, they assist with technology, a carrier base and often continued training.

A one day seminar is awesome to get information on the business and an overview.
Dot Authority has a great one day seminar on the industry.

The only thing worse than training your staff and they leave is not training and they stay.
Go to the one day seminar and then continue your training before investing your money.

it takes 3-6 months to get any small business going. Being a freight broker agent or freight broker is no different.

You better know what your doing or the carrier or the shipper will not do business with you.

moving forward

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rodney Tabler in Columbus, Ohio

87 months ago

I have been in the trucking business for several years but two years ago was involved in an accident and can no longer drive. I am interested in the brokerage part of the business but want to start as an agent. I am unemployed right now and feel this is a good time to start can anyone send me some information or something I dont have a lot of money for classes and such. My wife and I are now living solely on her income so money is tight any help is appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Keller, Texas

87 months ago

I now of at least three schools that offer full assistance if your disabled.

Google

freight broker school - do your research

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ken Fellenstein in Cleveland, Ohio

87 months ago

Does anyonr know of any classes that will accept reasonable downpayments and monthly payments? Don't have 500-700/month to use at this time due to circumstances not worth going into. Not looking for a handout or "free lunch", just a reasonable alternative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sandy

86 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a freight agent broker? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective freight agent broker?

i am amazed that there is a school for agents. i guess i have given away free training to the people that i have trained and then they went on to "try" the agency business. it is tough. #1 rule. don't trust anybody. keep your stuff to yourself. i've done this for a lot of years. long long before deregulation. gosh, if you don't know about trucking deregulation, then i guess you should go to school.....wonder how much it would cost me a mile to send my knowledge across the land to another mind. shades of star trek. good luck to you all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Keller, Texas

86 months ago

Schools and seminars are great for increasing the learning curve.
You never graduate from learning.
Trust and you will be trusted
Live
Laugh
Love

Google Freight broker school and you will find several
great schools.

This business is great if you know what your doing. If you don't then you will lose money for sure. I am not saying you need to pay for education. Find a mentor or go to a school.

That is my advice and I have been doing this for 20 years and I know for sure I know what I am talking about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

M bean in Cordova, Tennessee

86 months ago

I'm interested in becoming a freight broker agent. I've checked out some schools online and I really don't have the money to attend school right now, but i'm eager to learn this part of the transportation industry. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marjorie in Patrick, South Carolina

84 months ago

BigMACK in Cornelius, North Carolina said: Between Email and Telephone, which way is the best way to contact potential shippers? I know the answers are going to vary, but I am still interested in all of the opinions on this issue.

Also, what are some good scipts to use for phone calls and for emails?

what some good scripts? i'd like to know myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

meemee in Greenville, South Carolina

82 months ago

everyone is always stating that being a freight broker is a low startup business, but if u have to have a substantial cash flow to pay carriers then how is that possible? my husband has been a truck driver for 15 years. I have always been interested in the business because i know there is alot of money to be made. I am so amped about being a freight broker i cant stand it. I know it will take awhile to get started but what is wrong with working with a factor at the beginning of starting business? I think that is what they are there for.also, should u start calling shippers before u get your authority or after? i am not interested in signing up for any school but any answers are welcomed.oh, and why do u have to wait so long for the shipper to send u the payment for services? do they all take the same amount of time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shanell in Ogden, Utah

82 months ago

This information has been great, what are the top schools for training that you would recommend? My Husband and I are starting as an agent first, but we are always interested in learning more. What are the keys to obtaining your clients? I have always worked for Accounting Firms and that is completly differnt cliental. Is most of it sales?

Broker in Overland Park, Kansas

79 months ago

"Please feel much welcomed to give me as much information as you can for example, the challenges expected, the ways to go around the bumpy roads, the best region to project eyes at and many more."

I had on the job training through a web based brokerage. Challenges are probably different for different people but I make around 500 calls a week and obtain about 2 new customers a week, so you have to be brutally tough & persistent, you will get hung up on, cussed, etc, etc and have weeks where you won't obtain a new customer yet make 700 calls (at least I've had weeks like that unfortunately). Currently have a book of business with about 50 shippers underneath me and doing alright but always have a boss on my back to do more of course, such is sales. I don't have a script I talk to them like a real human & not a robot.

To startup with your own money and do this out of your house would pose several problems.

First is creditability. The web based brokers can quote online very quickly and are getting better & more popular everyday. Some customers won't want to pay or take forever to pay, you'll have to deal with that. Carriers you use will back solicit your clients & try to steal them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terry Trepanier in Fall River, Wisconsin

79 months ago

Broker in Overland Park, Kansas said: "Please feel much welcomed to give me as much information as you can for example, the challenges expected, the ways to go around the bumpy roads, the best region to project eyes at and many more."

I had on the job training through a web based brokerage. Challenges are probably different for different people but I make around 500 calls a week and obtain about 2 new customers a week, so you have to be brutally tough & persistent, you will get hung up on, cussed, etc, etc and have weeks where you won't obtain a new customer yet make 700 calls (at least I've had weeks like that unfortunately). Currently have a book of business with about 50 shippers underneath me and doing alright but always have a boss on my back to do more of course, such is sales. I don't have a script I talk to them like a real human & not a robot.

To startup with your own money and do this out of your house would pose several problems.

First is creditability. The web based brokers can quote online very quickly and are getting better & more popular everyday. Some customers won't want to pay or take forever to pay, you'll have to deal with that. Carriers you use will back solicit your clients & try to steal them.

this is very good advise.you have to be willing to take rejection and realize that its not directed towards you personally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Al in Sacramento, California

79 months ago

Ryan Gruhn in Ames, Iowa said: I own a freight brokerage with the main office based in Ames, Iowa. We are willing to work with inexperienced agents around the country if they have the drive and focus that it takes to be successful. Training programs can be helpful for someone who hasn't worked in the transportation industry, but we are often willing to work with people who don't have experience. We use very intuitive web-based software to manage our business and offer the top loadboards for our agents to use. We don't charge our agents for their software access, we pay our agents twice per month and offer a competitive commission structure. Please click on my profile link and contact us through the information you find on our website if you are interested in learning more. Thank you.

Best regards,
Ryan

can't drive any more, need help how start

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Columbia, South Carolina

79 months ago

I have worked for both large and small freight brokerages and have recently started my own firm. I have made tons of sales calls and it has taken a lot of follow-ups, disappointments, mini-victories, and anxiety to get the ball rolling. I firmly believe that long-term success is only achievable through hard work, providing value, and doing whatever it takes to get the shipment delivered on time. It is important to keep both the carriers and shippers happy.

I am looking for any networking associations and/or educational tools that can help expedite the developement of these relationships. One of the greatest barriers to entry in this industry is earning trust, from both the carriers and shippers. I understand shippers maintaining diversity in their carrier portfolio, as well as carriers wanting to be paid fast for their services. This is extremely challenging from a cash flow perspective. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ellie in Hollywood, Florida

79 months ago

Hello i just got into the transportation business, currently working in the family owned business and i need my freight broker lisence. My husband and i want to take the business one step higher. If anyone here has any recommendations please let me know. Thanks in asvanced.

ellie

Money Money in Dothan, Alabama

79 months ago

Broker in Overland Park, Kansas said: "....... but I make around 500 calls a week and obtain about 2 new customers a week, so you have to be brutally tough & persistent, you will get hung up on, cussed, etc, etc and have weeks where you won't obtain a new customer yet make 700 calls.......

Wow, its great that you are making that many phonecalls to new accounts, but honestly, if you are only converting .4% (less than 1%) of your cold call into customers, then you are doing something wrong. Not sure if your calling the wrong areas, calling on freight your not familiar with or what.

Dont get me wrong here, I am not downing you. I am trying to help you find where your making mistakes at so you can be more successful. I think i would throw the phone out the window if I even made 100 cold call and didnt pick up a handful of accounts. Like I said, I am not sure if its your terminology, your knowledge about their industry or what. Either way, something is not quite right.

With you being cussed out and hung up on, I wonder what it is your saying? I have come across rude sounding people, but never been cussed out nor hung up on by a customer, or potential customer. I dont know man, wish I knew what to tell you, but getting customers is not that hard to do really. Its a numbers game, but your numbers arent working for some reason. Maybe you do need a script? I dont use them and dont like them, but you never know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Keller, Texas

79 months ago

The truth is the average gross margin on a brokered load is about 12% if you bill the shipper the Fuel Surcharge and pass it along to the carrier.

The Fuel Surcharge comes out weekly and is determined by the EIA.

You can go to www.brooketraining.com and get the weekly update
on fuel and you will also find true and accurate information
about this industry.

We need serious and ethical business men and women in this industry. The carriers are on the verge of having to get out because of operating cost. Treat the carrrier with the same respect you do the customer and pay them on time and fair.

You can't make 2000-5000 per shipment. On a 2000.00 load, an honest broker averages around $240.00. This is a fair margin if the broker is paying the carrier on time.

A broker simply acts as an extension of both the shipper's office and the brokers office. Their are no secrets and no short cuts. It takes hard work and proper training.

If you can't get training then find a mentor. This is not a get rich quick business.

Moving Forward,

Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

John D Thomas in Juarez, Mexico

79 months ago

John D Thomas in Juarez, Mexico said: Amen Jeff. I saw the post regarding a $3000-$5000 profit per load. Seriously, I think this was a typo. It maybe should have read, $300.00 to $500.00 profit per load. This is more realistic.

If it wasn't a typo, then shame on you. People need the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Readers should be able to quickly spot a phony service provider. How? Phony, so-called freight broker "trainers" focus on the bundles of money you can make (they don't tell you how long it takes). Or, they want to provide a "short" course that is supposed to put you in a fast track to a pot of gold where you quickly learn most everything there is to know about brokering.

It is very enticing to make people think they are going to hit a grand slam no matter who they are or what they do. Grand slams in baseball are very, very far and few between.

It's better to learn to hit singles and doubles first. Then, maybe the right stars will align themselves and give you the opportunity to hit your grand slam.

In a short word, it will take a ton of training material and at least 30 days of both one-on-one training and going over the materials before a person is really ready to fact the freight broker world.

I hope the freight broker training profession does disintegrate into a bunch of opportunists looking to make a quick buck. If you want a source of free, straight, honest and powerful information, check out the blog at www.freightbrokeringblog.com

Forgive me for the typos - it's late. It should read - "I hope the freight broker training business does NOT disintegrate ....... " That's it. I'm calling it a night.

John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Priscilla in Frankfort, Kentucky

79 months ago

It shows how much you guys know about logistics. Yes you can make 3K-5K per load, we would not say if that was not corect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Priscilla,

With the type of claim you are making, I think you owe it the readers to verify that you are indeed consistently getting $3K-$5K per load.

Your claim would be verified if you would provide at least 2-3 INDEPENDENT sources that can basically substantiate and guarantee that your figures are correct.

Are you up to the challenge?

We are waiting.

Carla in Wichita, Kansas

79 months ago

Now why would she give up her customers information? Also, people in here disguise themselves. Everyone should be aware of this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Frankfort, Kentucky

79 months ago

I did not say you make that 3-5k with every load. I said you can make 3k-5k for moving a load. This is whay you do not make money becouse you want to stay on the computer and judge people, even when you do not know, how they know this information.

Carla in Wichita, Kansas

79 months ago

Is anyone in who they say that they are? Just wondering. Seems people slide in under aliases. Kinda funny since you can figure it out pretty quickly by their responses. Thanks Priscilla for the help.

jeff in Keller, Texas

79 months ago

I am sure carriers are lined up to do business with a broker who makes 3-5k a load. What a joke?

Learn how to spell and please respect our industry.

This Forum is for serious brokers/agents.

The average margin on any load is around 12%.

You can go to the TIA web site and any reputable school will
confirm this.

Moving forward with a laugh,

JR

79 months ago

Lisa in Frankfort, Kentucky said: I did not say you make that 3-5k with every load. I said you can make 3k-5k for moving a load. This is whay you do not make money becouse you want to stay on the computer and judge people, even when you do not know, how they know this information.

No, I did not think you meant $3K-$5K for EVERY load. But you know, you CAN run a 5 minute mile too. But for the average person - no, they couldn't even come close. Just because you CAN do something does not mean you WILL do it - or even come close.

I'd be surprised if your AVERAGE profit per load is even remotely close to the $3K-$5K.

There is no reason why you should be misleading these readers UNLESS you have some ulterior motive for doing so.

By the way, I don't judge people - I judge what they say and what statements they make - I listen and read their claims. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. If they make a claim and can't back it up - then why even mention it? Why - even - mention - it?

Do you think your clients will average $1K - $2K per load? What WOULD they average? Tell us. Let's talk about averages, if you don't mind.

This will probably be my last post on this subject.

79 months ago

Exactly, then, what IS your guarantee? Are you guaranteeing results? If so, what are they?

If you are only guaranteeing 100% satisfaction without guaranteeing results, are there any reasons why a person would not get a 100% refund if they told you they were dissatisfied?

What are your disclaimers, if any?

Could a person get a refund after taking your training without actually working the business?

If what you say is true ($3K-$5K on many or most loads???), I want to take your training and I want to move about 10 loads per week. At 10 loads with just a $2K profit per load, that's about $20K profit per week and over $1 million profit every year.

I can squeeze by on that. I'm ready for training!

Carla in Wichita, Kansas

79 months ago

Everyone has their moments and I made a mistake. See, I admit it. I have done this for a very long time. I like this forum because of the input and the sharing of information. You know what? If you are a legit company or broker, why do you change your name and location? It is outrageous to me. It's like the pot calling the kettle black. That is why tell people to find their niche. Oh yeah. I bounce back rather quickly. My customers are loyal and I didn't lose anything.Have a great nite.

Carla in Wichita, Kansas

79 months ago

Yes. I made a mistake. I should have done more research. Take note newbies. Don't make such hasty decisions. Make sure the broker is the right fit for you so you can be productive. John Kerry? MMM Ok. I am happy with my broker and she is wonderful at moving my freight. Also, if you are wanting training, research that also.

Al in Sacramento, California

79 months ago

Carla you telling that you don’t want to move any freight because you never got paid from your broker…
Are you teaching how to cheat?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Carla in Wichita, Kansas

79 months ago

It is the agreement I have now. I turn over my freight and someone else dispatches. Works great.. How am I teachin how to cheat?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sydney Ann Adams

79 months ago

Al in Sacramento, California said: Carla you telling that you don’t want to move any freight because you never got paid from your broker…
Are you teaching how to cheat?

I spoke with Carla a few times and had no problems. The information I receive was and is very useful. Actually speaking with someone can tell you alot, so take her advice and do lots of research before reaching out to a broker. If they only speak of the flowers and never the weeds then seek information elsewhere.

Pete in Frankfort, Kentucky

78 months ago

Jeff in Keller, Texas said: This is a very hard business and it takes a while to build of a nice book of business. If your looking for training - make sure
the people doing the training have an agency or a brokerage.
We have a class coming up in Ontario California in two weeks.
The instructor has the third largest Landstar agency.

This week I have a class in Dallas. We will have two shippers speaking to the class. Several if not all industry leading brokers looking for agents. Plus all the top vendors in the industry will do a presentation for the class.

Thursday we will make about 500 prospect calls to get our students hands on training and we have a brokerage set up in class on a huge big screen so the class can see what happens
when you secure freight. We teach the process - then we do it.

Way is it with you guys? that you have to put everybody down all the time. Until you know what kind of training they do, you have no right to judge anyone. They don’t have to be a broker company at the present time. Is its because they charge

Cindy Kapp in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a freight agent broker? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective freight agent broker?

The best training is the training that is most effective for your learning style, your time frame and your preferences. If you do best with interaction and hands on I'd recommend a live class. If you are a self motivated type you should try online. Brooketraining.com offers both online and live classes. After you take the course the instructors are available on an ongoing basis to answer questions or address concerns. Jeff Roach of Brooke Training also has a blog that has lots of information. He's been successful for decades(made a lot more that what the salary chart shows) so he and his team teach a method that works in the real marketplace. In the week of training you do actual prospecting. Some students even secure a load while in class. On the last day of class each student is given the opportunity to talk with broker agencies to see if they'd like to be an agent and given resources to start their own brokerage.

If you haven't take some time to research the different course options, read through testimonials and get a general feel for the schools to see which one seems like the right option for you.

Freight Brokering is a non-traditional career path because you are your own boss. Your earning potential is dependent on how much time and perseverance you put in. Good luck with your career.

Damian in Jersey City, New Jersey

78 months ago

hi,how you doing. I am a salesman for a truking company but I want to become a freight broker. My question is; how can I find a mentor

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.