Need help becoming a Freight Broker

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 483)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Jody Schuster

75 months ago

Thank you both for responding and I will be contacting you both Monday. Please understand that I am going to be very cautious threw this process because I can't afford to be scammed. I do have a family that I need to support and have lost over $6500 in non pay since Nov 27 2007.

Anybody else wish to offer help? I would appreciate it and again you would not be disappointed with my desire to succeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy

74 months ago

Jody - I'm just starting out meaning I have everything in place and I'm making calls trying to get business. I took a couple courses and wasted my money. Most of what they taught I already knew or had or was able to get. Frank is right that you probably have a lot of information that could even help me out maybe we can help each other. I have learned the most from others starting out. The free help is great if you can sort it out and throw out the down right stupid stuff. Some stuff makes you want to turn tail and run and its intended to do that because I'm finding some don't want a new broker to compete with. But in 3 months I have found a few that I can't thank enough for the great information and tips. I don't want all the pie just a piece. Its slow to build but with Gods help I will get those loads and then be on my way. I'm not giving up till they take my computer away. take that back I can go find another one. I've heard it enough to know its true it takes time this business doesn't just start itself no shortcuts just good advice from those that have made it and those that are starting out and going to make it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wendy

74 months ago

Where do you get this 3 in 100 make it do you just pull this out of the air. I learn everyday too and yes if I could find good training it would cut the learning curve but...... I think the best training comes from those that are not making a profit off of the training other than learning from each other that is the best because if you get 20 broker friends together each one will learn something new now wouldn't that be a great training workshop and all it would cost is each person putting up a little of what they know man I think I'm on to something here lets train each other anyone wanting to join a training club let me know we can start the first free broker club hummmm I think I like the idea. wwt1957@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kesha Hamilton in Memphis, Tennessee

74 months ago

Frank in Los Angeles, California said: Jo,

You can callme if you like at <Edited by Host: contact info deleted>.

Frank

Hey m, arfe you willing to work w/ anyone that is completely new to the business??? I understand the basic concepts but am looking to learn more and find a dependable company to work with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jody Schuster in Lansing, Michigan

74 months ago

Okay, before I call contact anybody, would sombody tell me what exactly do I need to get started..
I have
1. Phone with unlimited long distance
2. 3 computers and all are online
3. desire to succeed

Something I know I need but have questions about.
1. Fax
I have been looking at differnt models and read many review..
I have one picked out if i choose to go that route.

2nd part to this is online fax threw email services.
Very atractive prices for this service compared to buying a fax machine and having a second line at my house to run a fax..

Anybody have any suggestions on the fax?
Fax at the house on a second line or use a online fax..

Load boards..
Sure this service is a must and many of them
Simply need to know the cost to get started with them (yes i know it caries from board to board)

Basically I need to know the setup cost in order to get started as an AGENT..
Don't want to waste anybodies time and find out I may need to have more cash on hand..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jody Schuster in Lansing, Michigan

74 months ago

Wendy
I will be contacting you when I get started.. I agree with you when you say sharing knowledge from beginners is very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nechia in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

Hello everyone, I have been visiting this forum for a little over a month. I have found through different conversations some very valueable information. I know this is a competitive field and I wish that more individuals would offer mentoring for those of us who are new to the business. I know the name of the game is "making money", but we all had to start as "newbies". I would love to start or be part of network of agents / brokers that communicate. There is so much too learn and we all know something different. This pie (brokering loads)is large enough for all of us....For those that have been helpful...thank you for all your valuable advice. If anyone would like to network you can contact me at nechia.patton@gmail.com or check my profile...Good luck..to us all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sydney Ann Adams

74 months ago

Barbara Collins in Kansas City, Missouri said: Hi. If you get the right fax you can fax through e-mail anyway. You should have highspeed internet,fax, and phone lines. Basic stuff. You can always add as you go. Look for an all in one machine.

Get a large wall map of the USA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jody Schuster in Lebanon, Indiana

74 months ago

Thank you all again for posting.. I have updated my profile and if you are interested in helping me then pleas contact me at schusterjo@yahoo .com

I have emailed everybody but nobody has responded as of yet...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Thank you.

I emailed you

I have another question from you all.. What would be a reasonable percentage rate far as being an agent? Lets say I find customers here in my area or find loads on the board. Successfully negotiate it, what would be good split between the broker company I am working for and myself? I ask this on the open forum becuase I am honestly tired of getting ripped off for the hard work I put in.. As I mentioned above lost a lot of money here as late and its actually been a trend almost my entire life..

Another question I have to ask is, what would be a reasonable amount of time I should be paid from the broker I would be working for?

Thank you in advance..

I really would like to be on my own so I would not really need to worry about the above questions, I simply just don't have the overhead to get something like that going...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sydney Ann Adams

74 months ago

Jody Schuster in Lebanon, Indiana said: Thank you.

I emailed you

I have another question from you all.. What would be a reasonable percentage rate far as being an agent? Lets say I find customers here in my area or find loads on the board. Successfully negotiate it, what would be good split between the broker company I am working for and myself? I ask this on the open forum becuase I am honestly tired of getting ripped off for the hard work I put in.. As I mentioned above lost a lot of money here as late and its actually been a trend almost my entire life..

Another question I have to ask is, what would be a reasonable amount of time I should be paid from the broker I would be working for?

Thank you in advance..

I really would like to be on my own so I would not really need to worry about the above questions, I simply just don't have the overhead to get something like that going...

50/50 or 60/40Agents are paid weekly commissions by mail odirect deposit orinto your bank account. Your commission is based on a percentage of the gross profit of invoiced loads for the previous week. A report should be sent to you weekly showing the loads that were billed and the commissions to be paid to you. You should verify the information, after then the funds should be deposited to your bank account by the end of the week or mailed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sydney Ann Adams

74 months ago

Sydney Ann Adams said: 50/50 or 60/40 Agents are paid weekly commissions by mail or direct deposit into their bank account. Your commission is based on a percentage of the gross profit of invoiced loads for the previous week. A report should be sent to you weekly showing the loads that were billed and the commissions to be paid to you. You should verify the information, after that, the funds should be deposited to your bank account by the end of the week or mailed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

To be honest I really didn't expect an answer to my questions lol.. That seems like info people would not want to share.. I appreciate your honesty and your willingness to help others..

Thanks
Jo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eugene Shulikov in Vancouver, Washington

74 months ago

Id like to point out that a lot of these training programs teach most of what we already know. Im a dispatcher and look forward to make a little change in my work to a broker like all you here. I know the job preety well because well... it is my job. I did have a few questions though and at the begining of this forum read a post about having someone reaching out and giving a few words and answering some questions for a driver that wanted to make it to a broker.

His post was answered by a very helpful broker named frank and his #. I left him a message and got a call back within a few minutes and had my questions answered in a very businesslike and at the same time friendly manner.

If anybody is trying get some questions squared away with an actual BROKER not a rip off school, give the the guy a jingle <Edited by Host: contact info removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in Bloomingdale, Illinois

74 months ago

I work for an actual broker as well. Our outside reps get 50% commision on the profit of the load. It is not paid until there customer pays the freight bill. I have thought about opening my own company as well sometimes. I can not afford driving to and from work any more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zakiya in Decatur, Georgia

74 months ago

Hello All,

I have been thinking about becoming an agent/broker for a while. I googled schools and came up with a school in Jacksonville that charge $2400 with job placement. What school can I attend in person or on line that is extremely less expensive? How lucrative is this industry? How long does it take for an agent to have success? What is the best avenue to take to gain quality leads? Is the potential for success still as great considering the economy? I know that's a lot of questions...but I really need help with this next step in my life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!! You can also reach me at purchaseahome@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in Glendale Heights, Illinois

74 months ago

It is not an easy market. If you find some great customers things are a lot easier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy

74 months ago

Jody how are you doing with your start up? Hope all is well. Wendy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah in Midlothian, Virginia

74 months ago

Hello everybody,

I bought a truck Ram 3500.And wanted to start my own car transporting business.
I need help from you guys. What is first step for that?
For example how to get DOT number or do I need it at all.
What about cheap insurance companies. What about companies who will hire me as contractor?

I have a “friend” he is not willing to talk about details. I don’t know why.He became "Silent".Anyway, we have a lot of gooood people here.
Please help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carla in Wichita, Kansas

74 months ago

Wendy. I will get to the leads here in awhile.

Ari Wibowo in Columbus, Ohio

74 months ago

sorry my email address: wibowo2@aol.com

Wendy

74 months ago

I tried to email you and your email address is an unknown member. mine is wwt1957@aol.com

Wendy

74 months ago

should have read all my emails and not reply to the last lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tltlogistics@centurytel.net in Brandon, Wisconsin

74 months ago

try freightbizz.com/ for some insight.

Cece in Ozark, Alabama

74 months ago

Jody Schuster in Lansing, Michigan said: Okay, before I call contact anybody, would sombody tell me what exactly do I need to get started..
I have
1. Phone with unlimited long distance
2. 3 computers and all are online
3. desire to succeed

Something I know I need but have questions about.
1. Fax
I have been looking at differnt models and read many review..
I have one picked out if i choose to go that route.

2nd part to this is online fax threw email services.
Very atractive prices for this service compared to buying a fax machine and having a second line at my house to run a fax..

Anybody have any suggestions on the fax?
Fax at the house on a second line or use a online fax..

Load boards..
Sure this service is a must and many of them
Simply need to know the cost to get started with them (yes i know it caries from board to board)

Basically I need to know the setup cost in order to get started as an AGENT..
Don't want to waste anybodies time and find out I may need to have more cash on hand..

Jody I started brokering and it cost me nothing but lots of time. Call me anytime, ill be glad to help. Please don't pay anybody any money for this...it's way to easy. I can even help you with phone lines, faxes free or practically nothing. You can call me any time, came here looking around for help in my home office because I'm so busy I cant keep up. As god is my witness I started about two weeks ago. Best I can do is talk with you tell you what i did. Best to call on weekends of after six during the week god my phones go nuts on me. Best to ya anyway you go, Call Cece <Edited by Host: contact info removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Carla in Wichita, Kansas

74 months ago

Wendy. I went on YouTube and watched that traing crap. OMG. He was doing it with a webcam in a trailer!..Very funny.

Wendy

74 months ago

First I never asked for your help unless your talking about when you were someone else and Humm the your # has a plano TX area code Now where have I seen a post from Plano TX before? If it sounds to good and to easy it must not be freight brokering. I got on this post to get some tips and learn some thing. I got scamed. Now I remain on this post just to point things out so people can question these things too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wendy

74 months ago

Carla in Wichita, Kansas said: Wendy. I went on YouTube and watched that traing crap. OMG. He was doing it with a webcam in a trailer!..Very funny.

I'm kinda lost Carla !!!!!!!! You need to read what you just wrote lol There is a training video on youtube on finding shippers and its just a computer screen. Are you talking about the A1 training guy? He actually is a really nice guy. You must have went to the wrong site LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

angie in Detroit, Michigan

74 months ago

i am new to this forum. Cece i wanted to call you but your number is a texas area code and you say you are from AL. i would really like some help getting broker license. my whole family is in trucking . I know how to deal with carriers I just need to know how to find shippers. I would like just to work for my family. Between all my brother in-laws, father and cousins there are around 14 truks.

74 months ago

sorry i just a call from texas for a school and i thought you might be with them. sorry did not mean to offend. but i might take you up on that offer.

Wendy

74 months ago

Cece in Ozark, Alabama said: I am in ozark, and I dont know what the big deal is about my number, in this business you never change your number, mine goes with me when I travel. My home is texas, living in alabama for a while, no big secret. Happy to answer any questions with any help i can give, no scam no bull, its just what I have done and can tell you how i did this, how and I got started how to save loads of money on you phone bill and as I do take my phone anywhere and keep the same phone number etc. etc. I could tell you where to go and who to contact to get hired without shippers. Honestly im so busy i have limited time so you can call me but please be sure to call after 7pm, and on weekends anytime are fine during the week days im far to busy to talk but happy to help where I can.

b

Its more than the number its that you have the same name too of Marty and the same number as another marty who was not on the up and up when you have two things going on then it might be wise to ask questions if you don't ask questions how would we know that you are who you say you are. Why do you get sooooo upset at questions??????? If your not the Marty that was pretending to have a brokerage than your okay. If your not the Marty that stole peoples contacts Your okay. Just stay calm and get back to freight brokering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Well, I haven't visited this post in a while.. I kind of in a way put everything on the back burner for a while... To afraid of all the scams going on out there, as I already mentioned I have lost well over $7000 in pay since the beginning of the year due to companies not paying.. Can't afford for anymore loss.. I still plan on getting this broker business going if I can hookup with the right people.. I now have Fax unlimited long distance ext... So, I am preparing myself but just waiting for the right people to come along or find a way to finance the buis on my own...

One thing is for sure I will get it going one way or another, just been taking my time in doing so.. This way I know it will be done right...

Sydney Adams in Shreveport, Louisiana

72 months ago

Jody Schuster in Lebanon, Indiana said: Well, I haven't visited this post in a while.. I kind of in a way put everything on the back burner for a while... To afraid of all the scams going on out there, as I already mentioned I have lost well over $7000 in pay since the beginning of the year due to companies not paying.. Can't afford for anymore loss.. I still plan on getting this broker business going if I can hookup with the right people.. I now have Fax unlimited long distance ext... So, I am preparing myself but just waiting for the right people to come along or find a way to finance the buis on my own...

One thing is for sure I will get it going one way or another, just been taking my time in doing so.. This way I know it will be done right...

I sorry to read this but it will get better

angela in West Bloomfield, Michigan

72 months ago

I have been brokering since 1999. I worked for a large broker and now I have my own successful broker. I never went to broker training school, but had a wonderful mentor and numerous years in the transportation industry so I was already familar with concepts and the process. I see these freight broker classes for 1500.00 and 3000.00 and I think that it is way too much for the duration of the training, but I disagree that you should not pay for your training. When anyone is taking time to teach you a skill and how to perfect it-their time and knowledge is worth something. It is one thing to learn how to broker freight and it's another to learn how to broker freight successfully so you can do it as a long term sustainable career. I offer training on a one on one basis and I do charge. My prices are reasonable and the my trainees are happy with the resources that I provide them with. I offer my clients the initial training and then I am available to mentor them when they get started as well. I charge on hourly basis so they can determine how much time they want to work with me.
Good Luck to all of you joining us in the industry.

Angela <edited by host: contact information removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ahmad&laminda

72 months ago

b

i have no idea who you guys called . but i talked to cece/marty and she was very helpful ,sharing info we spoke for a while and i think she is a ginuine caring person besides the busness .

Jo Schuster in Auburn, Indiana

72 months ago

Hey Wendy how are things going for you? You can email me... You still have my email right?

MS3G in Arlington, Texas

71 months ago

i am interested in what you are about to do right now i dont want to be a broker i need to get a little more training but i would be willing to be an agent for you if that's ok

CJ in River Falls, Wisconsin

71 months ago

Do you need authority to work as a broker?

Sydney in Shreveport, Louisiana

71 months ago

yes, but not as a agent
ggod luck

Philip Douglas

71 months ago

angela in West Bloomfield, Michigan said: I have been brokering since 1999. I worked for a large broker and now I have my own successful broker. I never went to broker training school, but had a wonderful mentor and numerous years in the transportation industry so I was already familar with concepts and the process. I see these freight broker classes for 1500.00 and 3000.00 and I think that it is way too much for the duration of the training, but I disagree that you should not pay for your training. When anyone is taking time to teach you a skill and how to perfect it-their time and knowledge is worth something. It is one thing to learn how to broker freight and it's another to learn how to broker freight successfully so you can do it as a long term sustainable career. I offer training on a one on one basis and I do charge. My prices are reasonable and the my trainees are happy with the resources that I provide them with. I offer my clients the initial training and then I am available to mentor them when they get started as well. I charge on hourly basis so they can determine how much time they want to work with me.

Hi Angela, I am interested in becoming a broker and would like more info on your training. Thanks.

71 months ago

i took angelas course. she wrote about it last month and i called her. i loved the service she offered. i didn't know anything about brokering, she showed me all the ropes. it was worth every penny. i also like the idea of her being around knowing she will answer any question i have. i recomend her training. i was also nice that we both live in the same metro area, it was a one on one training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Drew in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

angela in West Bloomfield, Michigan said: I have been brokering since 1999. I worked for a large broker and now I have my own successful broker. I never went to broker training school, but had a wonderful mentor and numerous years in the transportation industry so I was already familar with concepts and the process. I see these freight broker classes for 1500.00 and 3000.00 and I think that it is way too much for the duration of the training, but I disagree that you should not pay for your training. When anyone is taking time to teach you a skill and how to perfect it-their time and knowledge is worth something. It is one thing to learn how to broker freight and it's another to learn how to broker freight successfully so you can do it as a long term sustainable career. I offer training on a one on one basis and I do charge. My prices are reasonable and the my trainees are happy with the resources that I provide them with. I offer my clients the initial training and then I am available to mentor them when they get started as well. I charge on hourly basis so they can determine how much time they want to work with me.

Angela what kind of prices do yu charge...?? drewcarr196@gmail.com.........I am a newbie trying to get some advicer...

Hugo in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

angie in Detroit, Michigan said: i took angelas course. she wrote about it last month and i called her. i loved the service she offered. i didn't know anything about brokering, she showed me all the ropes. it was worth every penny. i also like the idea of her being around knowing she will answer any question i have. i recomend her training. i was also nice that we both live in the same metro area, it was a one on one training.

Angela and Angie, similar names and locations.It's either a coincidence or something fishy.
What is it exactly?

Angela in West Bloomfield, Michigan

70 months ago

nothing fishy about it-I think if I was going to make up a name I would come up with something a little more creative. Actually we are not in similar locations_angie came from downriver for my training
and I am one hour north. My new Trainee is in New Jersey. Listen Buddy I am doing this as side work to help people out. I am not trying to scam anyone or make millions. I would appreciate it if you did not make assumptions. I run a legitimate brokerage and I have a A+ credit rating. I have customer base that has been with me for years. If people are interested in meeting with me one on one to learn the brokering for a fair rate instead of paying 3000.00 for a 2 day course then I am here to provide a mentorship. I did not join the forum with the intention to promote my training, but decided to after seeing the demand for it. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me and dont slander me please.

Angela (not to be mistaken for the one and only Angela in America-come on now

-------------- Original message --------------

Forums > Job > Freight Agent Broker

Reply posted to Need help becoming a Freight Broker

angie in Detroit, Michigan said: i took angelas course. she wrote about it last month and i called her. i loved the service she offered. i didn't know anything about brokering, she showed me all the ropes. it was worth every penny. i also like the idea of her being around knowing she will answer any question i have. i recomend her training. i was also nice that we both live in the same metro area, it was a one on one training.

Angela and Angie, similar names and locations.It's either a coincidence or something fishy.
What is it exactly?

Reply - View Comments
Hugo in Miami, Florida

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hugo in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

Come on Angela! There's no such thing as trying to slander you. Why would I without even know you? I'm not this type anyway. I was wondering if it was the same person promoting her business and I asked a question. You need to understand there's so much going on out there people need to be careful. Fortunately it came out that it was a coincidence that the names and state are similar. I hope you understand my point and I'm pretty sure if you come across something like that you would ask the same question.

Hugo in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

Angela in West Bloomfield, Michigan said: nothing fishy about it-I think if I was going to make up a name I would come up with something a little more creative. Actually we are not in similar locations_angie came from downriver for my training
and I am one hour north. My new Trainee is in New Jersey. Listen Buddy I am doing this as side work to help people out. I am not trying to scam anyone or make millions. I would appreciate it if you did not make assumptions. I run a legitimate brokerage and I have a A+ credit rating. I have customer base that has been with me for years. If people are interested in meeting with me one on one to learn the brokering for a fair rate instead of paying 3000.00 for a 2 day course then I am here to provide a mentorship. I did not join the forum with the intention to promote my training, but decided to after seeing the demand for it. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me and dont slander me please.

Angela (not to be mistaken for the one and only Angela in America-come on now

-------------- Original message --------------

Forums > Job > Freight Agent Broker

Reply posted to Need help becoming a Freight Broker

What is it exactly?

Reply - View Comments
Hugo in Miami, Florida

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angela I do have some questions about pricing. How do I contact you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rachael

70 months ago

Angela do u help people who only want to get into the agent part and not a broker, if so could you please let me know how to contact you or how much you charge. I just recently got laid-off from my job and need to change career paths.
Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hugo in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

Angela in West Bloomfield, Michigan said: I sent you a personal email and answered your questions regarding rates free of charge as a gesture of good faith. I understand your point and hope that the information I sent you is valuable. I wish you the best.

angela williams

Angela I read your email on my cell phone and I will surely reply to you as soon as I'm in my home office as I'm driving now. I need more time to reply to your email than I do to reply to this post via my cell. And yes your email is extremely informative and helpful. You can expect to receive my email sometimes today. Thanks a lot.

Donny in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

Hey Angela can you tell me the average cost of starting up? (llc,authority,surety bond ,)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Donny in Baldwin Park, California

68 months ago

do you have to have a dba to get your authority?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.