Lookng for a job with a BA in Geology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Senor Citason

88 months ago

Reza Khaladj esmaily in Tehran, Iran, Islamic Republic of said: Now I'll immigrated to USA as a permanent resident on 4th. of October.

So sorry, Senor. No more room here. Try Syria maybe?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

PKD

77 months ago

Hello,

I can relate to some of you with BA's on here looking for a job. I just graduated with BA in geology in May. I had a internship for the month of June, which was really cool and unique. However, I have been looking for a job for about a month and a half. So far I have sent out about 40 resumes with one recruiter interested. Find connections from people who have graduated from your department. Newtwork with professors. Any how is there any more advice on how to get through the whole online application process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John Boom in Springfield, Virginia

76 months ago

Go to contruction sites and speak to the geologists there or find out when they are coming and see them then. They can give you a lot of info and networking

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John Roche in Saratoga Springs, New York

76 months ago

please forward your resume including your salary requirements and geographic preferences to john@jprrecruiting.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RedMuley in Boca Raton, Florida

61 months ago

I am getting my BA in geology as well. Ironically enough, especially you "Mr. I have a BS so I am better than anyone"....My uncle is a very very well paid geologist, he has a major in biology and got his masters in geology. His son has a BS in geology and is having trouble finding jobs. Its about who you know and your passion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Pablo

61 months ago

I have a BS in geol, but I dont think it really matters if its a BA or a BS. I know lots of geologists that a brilliant and have B.A.'s. One degree might offer you a BS that is really easy, while another institution has a BA that is hard to attain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GlowingLIght in Gresham, Oregon

60 months ago

I am working on my BA in Geology, and yes I would like to be a Mid/Sec. Teacher. The BA offers more flexibility with courses that are suited to this career. However, I am also concerned about the future of teaching and need to be flexible and open to other positions. What are some of the other types of careers an individual can get with a BA in Geology?

(PS I chose the BA not because I thought the classes were easier. Most of them are the same with a couple exceptions, but because of the language proficiency requirements. With so many Spanish children it seemed like an ever better way to ensure job security in a middle school on the West Coast.)

Thanks for any help or suggestions, I really enjoy this field of study and look forward to doing more research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GlowingLIght in Gresham, Oregon

60 months ago

David,

If math and Chemistry aren't for you then try looking into the BA of Urban Planning with a minor in Geology. This might be a better path for you and Geology would marry well with planning. Good luck!

~Deedra

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

salim in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

hello i am new here
i had my degree since 1997 in geology in my country may be here equivalent a BS DEGREE
i think if i have chance to study from begining. my english is weak.
and i have 42 y old. doesnt matter???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

geologyron in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts

57 months ago

Folks, while dyer's comment may have been out of line he does have a point, Geology is all about synthesizing basic science courses with applied Geoscience courses. What he was trying to say was that, basic science and math allow for a much more comprehensive knowledge of Geology. He was saying that even a BA should definitely be taking basic science courses. My advisor gave me that advice when I was a Sophomore, and I stress it to others too. I myself am graduating in May with a BS in Geology because I love it, and I wanted to get every scrap of knowledge my degree had to offer me.

I've also been looking for jobs recently too, beginning a Geoscience career is a rough road whether BS, BA or whatever. All that really matters are the rocks!

Also, if anybody had suggestions for jobs, I'd like to hear them too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mkf in Madison, Wisconsin

56 months ago

I'm about to graduate with a BA in geology. Do you know what the difference between the BS and BA was in my case? One biology class, that was it. I took 3 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of calc based physics, and 2 semesters of chem. All that on top of taking damn near every geo class offered. I'm also one of the distinguished seniors in a very good department.

I have no interest in biology/paleontology so I didn't feel that it was necessary to take the extra bio course. I'm about to go on to a Master's in structural geology at a top tier grad school. Don't tell me that BA's won't get you where you want to go. Its what you put into it that determines how far you go in life. I'll most likely attempt to get a PhD after my Master's as well. This BA vs. BS stuff is hogwash....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

geologyron in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts

56 months ago

First of all, I did my thesis in structural and I can tell you that paleontology can be very important for relative dating. So don't discount it. I'm trying to put anyone down, but the reality of the industry is that now companies are looking for well rounded geoscientists and a BS might just give you the extra edge. Just saying... I've actually heard this from contacts in the industry. Don't let a BA stop you from doing what you love, it just might be easier and more lucrative to get a BS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

abhishek in Dallas, Texas

56 months ago

David Rockest in Washington, District of Columbia said: It took me 4 tries to pass Intermediate Algebra and 4 tries to pass College Algebra, 3 times to pass stats, 3 times in chemistry with no luck, and 2 pre-calc with no luck. Maybe I just did not work hard enough? So is a BS in geology out of reach? Maybe a BA is probably my best bet. I really love Geology, but I worry about the future and jobs with a BA, since I don’t want to become a teacher, but work in the field.

Dude,
I'm like in the same situation as you, I tried to pass pre-cal 2 times and I failed, calculus 3 times and i failed. i got c grades in sediment stratigrapy, structure analysis, even engineers geology i failed. I just haven't had a good college experience college and it isn't true that college isnn't for everyone because what you got to realise is that you make mistakes and you are ulitmately responsible for your own actions don't feel down because i feel your pain. I'm going through some sort of life changing experience right now.
just don't give up, seek out help if you need it ask for help! there are 6 billion people on this planet to help you out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Geodude in Scottsville, Kentucky

55 months ago

I graduated with a BA and searched for about a month for a job when I landed a Wellsite geologist job in Australia. I found this job in an ad on facebook. This was my foot in the door. In Australia there is no rank system. If your a geologist, all that matters is what you know and how you work. With the BA we automatically have to start on a lower level than BS even though most of the classes are the same. My suggestion is to think outside the box. Dont just sit on your computer and send resumes all day. Everybody can do that. Call people, go visit companys, get your feelers out there. Search for everything including internships. Its all about who you know and how you impact someone who might be hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

abhishek in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

Geodude in Scottsville, Kentucky said: I graduated with a BA and searched for about a month for a job when I landed a Wellsite geologist job in Australia. I found this job in an ad on facebook. This was my foot in the door. In Australia there is no rank system. If your a geologist, all that matters is what you know and how you work. With the BA we automatically have to start on a lower level than BS even though most of the classes are the same. My suggestion is to think outside the box. Dont just sit on your computer and send resumes all day. Everybody can do that. Call people, go visit companys, get your feelers out there. Search for everything including internships. Its all about who you know and how you impact someone who might be hiring.

Yes geodude
you could not have said it better, its all about who know and what you are capable of. thank you for your advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Big_Papa in Vicksburg, Mississippi

53 months ago

I can relate to yalls worry with BA and BS equivilency. I am currently working on my BA in Environmental Studies with a minor in Geology, and ive been wondering whether it would be a better decision (career wise) to get the BS in Environmental Science with the minor in Geology. Any suggestions or opinions???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Orogeny21 in Miami, Florida

53 months ago

I would suggest going the BS route if you're looking for a Phd or masters. Whatever you don't do in undergrad, you'll have to complete those deficiencies in graduate school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

old geologist in Lake Jackson, Texas

50 months ago

There was once a time when the Ivy League schools only offered a BA and MA in geology. I lot of those people are still working for O&G companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

future geo in Lakewood, Ohio

49 months ago

I just recently decided to major in geology and from the research I've done Im definitely getting a BS. At my school the only difference is calc vs lower math for the BA and then an extra semester of classes. BS isn't that much more difficult but gives you the upper hand when looking for a job...but Im going to grad school anyway

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ATimea in Europe

47 months ago

I graduated in 2008 with MSc in Geology, specialized on Micropaleontology. I wrote my thesis from Upper-Cretaceous foraminifers and have two years laboratory experience with recent ones, ostracods and bivalves. I am very interested in working with microfacies analysis, biostratigraphy, biogeochemistry and carbonate sedimentology. I have been looking for a job anywhere in the world in the last three months, sent lots of CVs without result. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Mcallen, Texas

39 months ago

i starting freshmen year in college this year and planing in getting my BA, pleny of oil company's down south, so will see what happends in four to five years long way to go.. or ill just go back to work in the refineries beats me, we just need the money!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

fatou mata bah in Barcelona, Spain

38 months ago

i ma looking job will ba

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

coco1155 in Austin, Texas

34 months ago

dyer440 in Lewisville, Texas said: Don't get a BA, get the BS if you want a career in Geology. BA's are for slackers or for people who want to teach Elementary, Middle, or High School Science.

I would never hire a BA Geology, b/c I know they didn't have to take any of the harder classes. Your income level is directly proportional to amount of calculus and physics courses you take (at least regarding science/engineering careers). Keep that in mind.

I have a B.A. and I took all of the calculus and physics required of a B.S. I decided to get a B.A. because it was the more well-rounded degree that allowed for me to get a minor in Biology as well. I find this perspective a little narrow. You might miss out on intelligent candidates if this is your selection process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

coco1155 in Austin, Texas

34 months ago

dyer440 in Lewisville, Texas said: Don't get a BA, get the BS if you want a career in Geology. BA's are for slackers or for people who want to teach Elementary, Middle, or High School Science.

I would never hire a BA Geology, b/c I know they didn't have to take any of the harder classes. Your income level is directly proportional to amount of calculus and physics courses you take (at least regarding science/engineering careers). Keep that in mind.

I have a B.A. and I took all of the calculus and physics required of a B.S. I decided to get a B.A. because it was the more well-rounded degree that allowed for me to get a minor in Biology as well. I find this perspective a little narrow. You might miss out on intelligent candidates if this is your selection process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

emaykay in Wilmington, North Carolina

33 months ago

There was a BIG difference between the BA and BS at my college. As a BS, I had to take two semesters of physics, two semesters of calculus, and two semesters of chemistry PLUS core classes like stratigraphy, structural geology, and field camp. I have classmates that took the BA and graduated before me who are still looking for a job. (One sells recliners and the others wait tables). I've been out of school for two months and just accepted a job offer with a O&G company. Maybe some schools offer a "more well rounded" route - but my attitude is this: if you're going to study SCIENCE, you should get a bachelors of SCIENCE. Not arts.

If I can offer anyone advice, GO TO FIELD CAMP. Get that experience. Do as much extra research as you can. It will give you something to talk about in a job interview and prove that you are a self-motivated individual. It will really put you heads above your peers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

emaykay in Wilmington, North Carolina

33 months ago

There was a BIG difference between the BA and BS at my college. As a BS, I had to take two semesters of physics, two semesters of calculus, and two semesters of chemistry PLUS core classes like stratigraphy, structural geology, and field camp. I have classmates that took the BA and graduated before me who are still looking for a job. (One sells recliners and the others wait tables). I've been out of school for two months and just accepted a job offer with a O&G company. Maybe some schools offer a "more well rounded" route - but my attitude is this: if you're going to study SCIENCE, you should get a bachelors of SCIENCE. Not arts.

If I can offer anyone advice, GO TO FIELD CAMP. I had one classmate who got a BA and went to field camp and she is the only one I know who is actually employed. Get that experience. Do as much extra research as you can. It will give you something to talk about in a job interview and prove that you are a self-motivated individual. It will really put you heads above your peers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

BN97201 in Portland, Oregon

33 months ago

Perhaps I can share a perspective from having been working as a geologist for the past 30 years. By all means, whatever degree you're pursuing, challenge yourself to take difficult and quantitative courses. You will benefit in the long run both by being more employable and by having more tools in your toolbox once you get to work.

That said, I find the patronizing and frankly odd bias against B.A. or A.B (as it is sometimes abbreviated) degree holders tiresome. I have an A.B. because my undergraduate school did not offer a B.S. in geology. It did offer a B.S. in mineralogy, but that wasn't my primary interest. I was required to take calculus through partial differential equations, a year of chemistry and physics, summer field camp, invertebrate paleo, mineralogy, petrology, structural geology, and on and on. In short, there was little to no difference between my background and those who have a B.S. (the difference in the mineralogy degree was physical chemistry, which I didn't take).

Employers (and I am one) look less at the name of the degree and more at what courses were taken, what textbooks were used (a clue about their degree of rigor if I'm unfamiliar with the program) and how well the applicant did. I frankly have never made a distinction between a B.S. and an A.B. or B.A. degree when weighing different candidates and neither do my co-workers in other offices of our firm. Others may, but that is by no means as universal as some of these comments would lead one to believe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

abhishek in Coppell, Texas

29 months ago

BN97201 in Portland, Oregon said: Perhaps I can share a perspective from having been working as a geologist for the past 30 years. By all means, whatever degree you're pursuing, challenge yourself to take difficult and quantitative courses. You will benefit in the long run both by being more employable and by having more tools in your toolbox once you get to work.

That said, I find the patronizing and frankly odd bias against B.A. or A.B (as it is sometimes abbreviated) degree holders tiresome. I have an A.B. because my undergraduate school did not offer a B.S. in geology . It did offer a B.S. in mineralogy, but that wasn't my primary interest. I was required to take calculus through partial differential equations, a year of chemistry and physics, summer field camp, invertebrate paleo, mineralogy, petrology, structural geology, and on and on. In short, there was little to no difference between my background and those who have a B.S. (the difference in the mineralogy degree was physical chemistry, which I didn't take).

Employers (and I am one) look less at the name of the degree and more at what courses were taken, what textbooks were used (a clue about their degree of rigor if I'm unfamiliar with the program) and how well the applicant did. I frankly have never made a distinction between a B.S. and an A.B. or B.A. degree when weighing different candidates and neither do my co-workers in other offices of our firm. Others may, but that is by no means as universal as some of these comments would lead one to believe.

Are there any companies that offer paid training, like internships? I've graduated from BA in geology at university in Texas i'm experiencing some financial problems for 2 years and haven't been able to fund grad school. trying to figure out whether i should just jump in directly into the oil and gas exploration field or rather get my M.S and then apply. Any advice would help. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

HesAlm in Mumbai, India

23 months ago

Hi Guys,

Need some advice.

I completed my BSc in Geology in 2004. However, I did not pursue a career in geology and instead, took up a job in communications and PR. I have been working for over 8 years now and am not quite satisfied with the prospects of this career.

This brings me to the question. Is it advisable to pursue a career in Geology(Petroleum) today? Is there a demand for Geologists in the market?

I am willing to do a MSc in Geology if it is necessary, but just need to gauge the prospects before i make the decision.

Really appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance.

HA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BN Guy in Yaoundé, Cameroon

5 months ago

Hi guys.

Our company is currently recruiting Petroluem Geologist to work in oil Fields in West Africa.

Recent Grads and experience Gologist with degrees in Geology should email me with your resume and diplmas.

Email. eostulatecruss@freenet.de

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.