B.S. Geology, need job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 191)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

wilkeje in Bluefield, West Virginia

78 months ago

mikeg19_82 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I graduated in May 2008 with a BS in Geosciences from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I have had no luck finding work. I've applied for many many jobs including oil companies, as well as local, regional, and national environmental consulting jobs. One world-renowned company I just about got hired to in Washington, DC had a hiring freeze after my final interviews. My resume is on most databases and the "environmental jobs" websites.

What do degree holders do with this degree? I'm currently a part-time bank teller. I need help.

I'm in the same boat - BS in geology, been applying for 7 months. I hope someone provides some insight!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Matthew in Grand Rapids, Michigan

71 months ago

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one having problems finding a job with a BS in geo. Got my degree June 08 and I am still serving at the hotel I've been working at for 5 years. I've even been trying to get an internship with some company, but you need a minimum 3.5 gpa to get into most of them. I am so in debt I don't think I can afford to go back to grad school, but I don't know what my other options are. The local college where I live offers a wind-energy technician certification that only takes about 26 weeks to complete, so I am thinking about taking that avenue--maybe get the certification and see if I can get something that would allow me to go back to school for a masters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan Weller in Sydney, Australia

71 months ago

The Geo job market is a bit better in Australia.
Coal Seam Gas (aka CBM) and metal/coal mining are on the rise with demand from China and Asia.

I moved from the US to Australia for a job logging core with coal seam gas exploration, and hope it is just a stepping stone. I was mudlogging and enviro consulting for 2 years in the US before I came here. Hope to move to something more intellectually challenging soon.

If you can find an employer to get you a 457 sponsored visa that would be best, but there are a few other visa options available too (www.immi.gov.au). However with boom/bust and the influx of geologists it seems that immigration has recently become more focused on protecting Australians, asking companies to hire Australians before internationals.

I only got 1 bite from about 50 applications back in December. Try your luck here if you're interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

h6 in Richmond, Texas

66 months ago

If there was one word I could use to describe The Mudlogging Co, it would be 'LIARS!' They lied to me about sooooo many things and all the people I worked with in the short time I was with them were fed the same pack of lies I had been. They turned keylogging on all their computers and would call up people and scream at them for applying for other jobs! I witnessed a phone call where they made a 30 year old man cry for watching youtube videos at 3am when they were barely drilling enough to take a sample once every 8 hours and frequently shutting down due to mechanical problems. Just terrible! I wouldn't advise ANYONE to work for those villains.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

yz in Mauldin, South Carolina

64 months ago

I went to an interview with The Mudlogging Company. An orientation was "planned" to take place the day after the interview. When i showed up, the orientation was canceled and I had to buy another plane ticket home. The HR Rep really screwed me. The fact that they are always looking for loggers shows that they cannot retain new employees. There are surely some big problems with this company. I would advise to stay away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

h6 in Richmond, Texas

64 months ago

yz in Mauldin, South Carolina said: I went to an interview with The Mudlogging Company. An orientation was "planned" to take place the day after the interview. When i showed up, the orientation was canceled and I had to buy another plane ticket home. The HR Rep really screwed me. The fact that they are always looking for loggers shows that they cannot retain new employees. There are surely some big problems with this company. I would advise to stay away.

They tried to get me to attend an orientation that was scheduled for the next day too! And then they wanted me to start later that week when they knew I had no place to stay. They didn't even interview me so much as when I came in the only question I was asked was "Why do you want to be a mudlogger?" and then the HR guy (It's still the same guy so I know exactly who you're talking about) pretty much hired me on the spot. Its like they are desperate to hire anyone they can get in their office because nobody stays on longer than a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

pld geologist in Lake Jackson, Texas

62 months ago

h6 in Richmond, Texas said: I was lured to Houston from Illinois by a horrible mudlogging job from a DISHONEST company. They told me I'd be working with a team of all-female mudloggers. It wasn't until they sent me out on my first rig that I learned I was not only the youngest person at the drillsite (by about 10 years), I was the only female. I quit after a month and the only job I've been able to get since is at JCPenney. All you geology undergrads- DON'T come to oil, DON'T come to Houston, you'll REGRET it like I am right now.

The same thing happened to me back in 2001. It was a terrible experience for me and I got screwed big time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina in Ogden, Utah

60 months ago

I am currently enrolled at Weber State University. Originally I wanted to do the AEG degree, but a semester in changed to Geology because I wanted a more specialized field to have a better base for graduate school in the future. I am a little discerned after hearing all your guys stories. What would be a solid option for school for something related to the Geosciences? Do you guys feel this is simply an economic slump thing? or should I plan on something different in general. I really love science (particularly earth science) and have thought about geophysics, even though I am not yet great with math. I have a exceptional aptitude for technical things and feel as though I would be able to handle whatever is thrown at me. However I want something that is 40k plus and can pay off my loans. What would your guys suggest as advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

old geologist in Clute, Texas

59 months ago

It has been over two years, but I am still looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina in Ogden, Utah

59 months ago

mikeg19_82 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I am the original poster. I landed a government job at a water purification plant. It's semi-related to some courses I took in college and I like it. It only requires an associates degree, but the younger hires have bachelors and masters in sciences (...)

I appreciate your reply. What have you heard about Environmental Engineering? When I decided to do Geology, I thought it was a great foundational science. I originally wanted to have the knowledge to know what impacts will happen as result of Climate Change. I wanted to mitigate. And I felt the best way to do that was to get an education on how to recognize that. Seemed pretty obvious at least at the time. My brother keeps telling me that I should do this Engineer. As it would allow me to use my passion and knowledge as foundational to actually "mitigate" by resolving those "found" probs. I just never thought about it that way. However I feel if any woman can do it, I can. But you see alot of jobs post for either (Geology, Env Engineer, Hydrologist). So it makes me wonder, if that is even as glamorous as it seems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

h6 in Richmond, Texas

59 months ago

Kristina in Ogden, Utah said: However I feel if any woman can do it, I can. But you see alot of jobs post for either (Geology, Env Engineer, Hydrologist). So it makes me wonder, if that is even as glamorous as it seems.

Kristina, as a woman as well as with someone with a BS in geology that I've gotten absolutely no use out of, please know that if you choose to stick with it you are not choosing an easy path and the fact that you are female is an added challenge. My short experience as a mud-logger (which is pretty much all you're going to get with just a BS) showed me that women are NOT welcomed onto rigs with open arms. In fact, they aren't welcome at all. The things I love about geology there are no practical (employable) applications for. I have been out of school for 2 years and the only thing I could get was mudlogging which was awful. If you plan to have a relationship, if you want to have a family, if you want children- you will not be able to go into geology because the jobs rely very heavily on you traveling (and not to anywhere cool) and staying at sites for months at a time. Additionally, those jobs all have physical requirements that you may or may not be able to meet (I can't) like being able to lift and carry very heavy loads. If you want to be employed when you finish school, go into nursing or get a teaching certificate. Schools are really hurting for science and math teachers and there are probably a lot of options there. You can use a BS in geology and go through an alternative certificate program with no problem.
If you're going to get a masters I'd recommend going ahead and getting a PhD while you're at it and becoming a professor.
I love geology so much, but if I could do it over again I would never major in it in a million years because there are just no jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mikeg19_82 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

59 months ago

Kristina in Ogden, Utah said: I appreciate your reply. What have you heard about Environmental Engineering?

I am not claiming to be a job expert and this is all anecdotal evidence. If you want an "official" outlook look here: www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm#outlook.

I know some civil engineers but don't know any environmental engineers. I do see many postings for civil and especially road and wastewater engineers. There are also mining/geological engineering opportunities in mineral rich regions. It takes a strong personality to make a difference as an engineer, because you are going to be working with people who, in my opinion, generally do not like criticism or feedback.

The advice I can give is contradictory because if you want to think big, think big. If you love environmental work and are willing to face an uncertain job market, do it. You don't want to look back in ten years and regret not doing it if the environment is your passion. You need to find a balance between practicality and passion. I think you should maximize your chance to succeed after college, because it is not easy finding employment.

After I graduated, I was burnt out. I did not want to go for a masters, I chose to make a living instead of applying for grad school. That may have been a mistake, but after four years, I was $20,000 in debt. I reached the limit of how much I could invest into this degree. As a senior, I interviewed with a local consultant for an intern-to-hire position, I realized they required a substantial amount of experience. It was a rude awakening. So if you do environmental studies, I recommend taking as many internships as you possibly can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Geology in Westborough, Massachusetts

59 months ago

A lot of us in hindsight wish we had studied something else. Join the club. Myself, I recently got a license to teach math, and I was never a math major. If you have a clearer view today than you did yesterday, utilize it!! But you wont, because you think 52 is old. Go seek out a marathon runner in his or her 70's and tell them how old you think you are. See if they dont laugh in your face. Some of the youngest people I know are 80. Some of the oldest people I know are 25.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

If I'm reading you right, that is....it seems like more than anything else, your age of 52 is what (in your mind), has you up against the wall...it shouldnt!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

59 months ago

There are quite a few companies who do not have any desire to hire (discriminate against) people in their 50s and 60s. They want the younger people who will accept less pay (sub living wages). In this economy, companies are also overtly discriminating against people who seem like they have job hopped. I saw an ad that stated "IF YOU HAVE HAD MULTIPLE JOBS THAT LASTED LESS THAN A YEAR, DO NOT APPLY". I personally have been laid off from jobs directly due to the bad economy, yet I am being penalized for something I had no control over. Companies want people who are still employed.

I have been unemployed for over two years- what I need now is a JOB, NOT education (I have two degrees and plenty of continuing ed). If I went back to school to get another degree, I will be that much further in debt and that much older (back to employers are discriminating against the older worker).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

John, with all due respect, that all is true in many instances. Be a bold SOB anyway. You look at Stallone who filmed his latest movie at 63. Go take a look at him in that movie. He was a bold SOB to do all that. And I'll bet he will still be a bold SOB at 83. Im quite sure he was roundly mocked for doing that movie at his age. Go check it out and see if YOU....if YOU still feel the same way about your age. Because its YOU that matters here. Its what do YOU think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ras in Auckland, New Zealand

58 months ago

I graduated in 2007 with a BSc in geology. It was during the boom in Australia so a gold company hired me before I had even sat my last exams. But mining really sucks, especially as a girl. But I worked in nz for 5 months then went to Australia in 2008 and was fought over by companies it was crazy. But I got a job in the middle of nowhere it paid good but was the most boring thing ever, I didn’t even need a degree and spent most of my time falling asleep. If you like geology don’t do mining! At least do exploration or engineering geology. I haven’t tried to get a job since and have just been travelling around, I might go back to Australia because so well and I have a massive student loan, but it sucks so much it will be a last resort.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wabs in Casper, Wyoming

58 months ago

Geology is ridonkulous! I wish I would have done something else in school because being outside in a blizzard and windy conditions sucks ass! If you like spending tons of time outside completely alone, in the middle of nowhere doing things that are redundant and boring than go into geology. Every geologist i've met is old and boring, they like rocks and are excited about reading maps. It's not a fun career! I mean i've found a good job but the options are very limited if you don't have a PHD because monkeys can do a geologists work. I feel bad for recent grads due to the fact that they end up sampling dirty groundwater or doing oversight on a drill rig in the middle of nowhere in the cold at midnight. It isn't fun work, you will be worked to death with no future reward unless you stay in the field (meaning outside work) for ten to fifteen years! DO SOMETHING ELSE IN SCHOOL! I know every grad out of school has the view of an amazing future within the field but it isn't that great, it's a job. THATS IT AND THATS ALL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Fred in Visalia, California

58 months ago

After reading most of these posts you'd think it's miserable to be a Geologist. I believe a lot of the problem with most folks here is a poor attitude. I live in California where the unemployment rate is hovering around 12%. However, look on the SF Bay area CL and you'll find a ton of employers needing geologists ranging from staff to senior level. I'm self employed after graduating in 2003 with a B.S. in Geology. We all have to start at the bottom after graduating, which I did. But I focused on passing the ASBOG and California Supplemental exam, got my PG license, and the work won't stop coming in. My advice is to stick it out and get the initial experience and work toward getting your PG license. Once you have tha PG license, many doors will open. The jobs are out there. Environmental work is booming all over the country. And true, if you want to work as a "Geologist" for an O&G company, an M.S. in Geology is definitely the way to go. However, that being said, there is work out there. I love what I do. It's a great career. The economy stinks but it will get better. It appears that burn out or just plain lack of motivation has gripped some folks on this forum. And don't complain about being a woman or being too old, etc. We all can use our race or gender as a crutch. SUCK IT UP! I know MANY geologist of differing races and gender that are working. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

h6 in Richmond, Texas

58 months ago

You know, I'll give you one good reason why it sucks to be a female working in geology. MENSTRUATION. Try having your period while you're on an oil rig and get back to me. Unless you are a woman who has experienced what I have, don't you dare say that "being a woman" is a crutch for a bad attitude. I am not a feminist, I don't blame men for everything, and I certainly don't look for discrimination everywhere I work. I have never, ever, ever felt that being a woman has held me back from anything in my lift EXCEPT for this. And women can do the job. They can do it no problem- in my experience the problem lies with the men who work in that field who are now pissed off at your very existence because they can no longer piss of the side of the rig whenever they want and feel like they have to walk on eggshells because their employers (big oil) have convinced them that a woman on-site is a sexual harassment case waiting to happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (71) Reply - Report abuse

Bruce in Montebello, California

58 months ago

Wow! How depressing these posts are.
My Geology degree did do me some good.
I got it back in the mid 80's in the Midwest.
Worked for a geotechnical company there. I didn't
make much $$$, but I was living at home and the firm
had us technicians travel out of state. Coming out of
college and traveling/staying in hotels was fun.
Then one winter I was fired/laid off. Got unemployment
and almost immediately moved to California.
I really wanted to do something besides geotechnical eng,
but working in sunny CA where the terrain/geology makes
consulting a bit more interesting than flat Midwest.
Did in for a decade, but then got my teaching cred, in
teaching Geology. High School. Believe it or not geology
science teach. cred. are sought after. Did that for about
10 years. And with the summers off I studied a completely
different degree. No longer a teacher or geologist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

christophicus in Irvine, California

57 months ago

Wabs in Casper, Wyoming said: Geology is ridonkulous! I wish I would have done something else in school because being outside in a blizzard and windy conditions sucks ass! If you like spending tons of time outside completely alone, in the middle of nowhere doing things that are redundant and boring than go into geology. Every geologist i've met is old and boring, they like rocks and are excited about reading maps. It's not a fun career! I mean i've found a good job but the options are very limited if you don't have a PHD because monkeys can do a geologists work. I feel bad for recent grads due to the fact that they end up sampling dirty groundwater or doing oversight on a drill rig in the middle of nowhere in the cold at midnight. It isn't fun work, you will be worked to death with no future reward unless you stay in the field (meaning outside work) for ten to fifteen years! DO SOMETHING ELSE IN SCHOOL! I know every grad out of school has the view of an amazing future within the field but it isn't that great, it's a job. THATS IT AND THATS ALL!

If you had no interest in maps or rocks, why did you choose geology as your career path?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

carpediem in Davenport, Iowa

56 months ago

Fred in Visalia, California said: After reading most of these posts you'd think it's miserable to be a Geologist. I believe a lot of the problem with most folks here is a poor attitude. I live in California where the unemployment rate is hovering around 12%. However, look on the SF Bay area CL and you'll find a ton of employers needing geologists ranging from staff to senior level. I'm self employed after graduating in 2003 with a B.S. in Geology. We all have to start at the bottom after graduating, which I did. But I focused on passing the ASBOG and California Supplemental exam, got my PG license, and the work won't stop coming in. My advice is to stick it out and get the initial experience and work toward getting your PG license. Once you have tha PG license, many doors will open. The jobs are out there. Environmental work is booming all over the country. And true, if you want to work as a "Geologist" for an O&G company, an M.S. in Geology is definitely the way to go. However, that being said, there is work out there. I love what I do. It's a great career. The economy stinks but it will get better. It appears that burn out or just plain lack of motivation has gripped some folks on this forum. And don't complain about being a woman or being too old, etc. We all can use our race or gender as a crutch. SUCK IT UP! I know MANY geologist of differing races and gender that are working. Good luck!

Just Curious what type of work you did straight out of college? I am really hurting here. I graduated 6 months ago with a BS in geology and I haven't have one phone call yet. I've had two internships with the government during my college years but still that doesn't seem to help me. I've been digging so deep for jobs. I've applied for almost every single job category in the geosciences.

Anyone have any suggestions for good mud logging companies or anything, just anything. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I have no problem being cold and dirty as long as I am getting paid and using my geological knowledge that I obtained at University!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CuteKitty in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

h6 in Richmond, Texas said: If there was one word I could use to describe The Mudlogging Co, it would be 'LIARS!' They lied to me about sooooo many things and all the people I worked with in the short time I was with them were fed the same pack of lies I had been. They turned keylogging on all their computers and would call up people and scream at them for applying for other jobs! I witnessed a phone call where they made a 30 year old man cry for watching youtube videos at 3am when they were barely drilling enough to take a sample once every 8 hours and frequently shutting down due to mechanical problems. Just terrible! I wouldn't advise ANYONE to work for those villains.

And this my friends is why the oil/gas industry is not for everyone =P. I Mudlogged for about 3 years (2 of which was with TMC). I knew what I was getting myself into, I did the research. It is a very male dominated role but either way I learned a ton and made a good living doing it. Mudlogging was probably the only way a non-graduate degree individual can become a Geologist with a production company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

oilpatch in Rockwall, Texas

55 months ago

I must say, Mudlogging is not a sexy job in the O&G industry. You get dirty, you are away in the field for days, weeks, a month or two at a time. Time off is way too short and precious.
I have been doing this since '93, straight out of the military (9yrs. active duty). Started with a small outfit that slowed down in '98. Moved on to another and then another. The current employer (The Mudlogging Company) has done me right.
I preform a job that is looked down upon in the O&G industry. I am the first one the Company man calls to get answers or to chew my ass for my telling a geologist too much drilling information. jack of all trades? yep, that's a mudlogger.
Martin Ridge: Did I have any prior experience? No. Did I have to learn the job on my own? No. It is called OJT. Some in the field of mudlogging train better then others. I was lucky to have had a decent trainer that took the time to explain, or maybe I asked the right questions. I pull down better then 60K/yr. It comes at a very high cost. Many have asked me why I have stayed in the mudlogging field. I would have to say that I like what I do and am damn good at it. But then a mudlogger is only as good as his last successful well.
Martin Ridge: I have trained so many hands I have lost count. If they stay longer then a year, I feel lucky. If they make it a year, there is a good chance they will go two. Many roll out after just a few weeks or months. Did I mention the lifestyle is not for everyone?
I have trained my sister~in~law, my wife, my brother, the wife of a fellow logger to log and am now working to get my daughter to try logging.
I guess what I am trying to say is, Mudlogging is not for everyone. If you try it, stick with it a year to give yourself the best chance of learning the minimum about to job and see if it becomes easier over that time. Otherwise keep looking for something else. I have only a limited amount of time to train my replacement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MineRecuiter in Colorado Springs, Colorado

55 months ago

I would like to bring a recruiter's perspective on this subject. The mining industry is an extremely specialized industry. The employers are looking for a specialize skill set. Honestly, there are very few entry level positions. In addition, there isn't an establish overall platform to share information about job opportunities with candidates. I think our overall problem is communication. Most entry level positions are not posted and the companies depend on their internal resources to find talent. In addition, you have to obtain the specialize experience during internship, as well, get experience in an industry that is thriving. It is all about experience. My requisitions require a minimum of 5 years of experience. I have had one entry level position and I just happen to forward the resume to the hiring manager because I thought the candidate had good experience and the department just happen to be looking. It was soley by chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Girl in Lafayette, Louisiana

55 months ago

h6 in Richmond, Texas said: Kristina, as a woman as well as with someone with a BS in geology that I've gotten absolutely no use out of, please know that if you choose to stick with it you are not choosing an easy path and the fact that you are female is an added challenge. My short experience as a mud-logger (which is pretty much all you're going to get with just a BS) showed me that women are NOT welcomed onto rigs with open arms. In fact, they aren't welcome at all.

I completely disagree with everything you have said on this forum, H6. I am a girl and have been working on oil rigs (offshore and land) for over a year. All the men (except for one or two grumps) have been nothing but nice to me, treating me as they would a sister. They look out for you because you are a girl, not in spite of it. I don't love this job (I'm a field engineer by the way, but work alongside mudloggers), but it's because of the lifestyle, not the people I work with. Also, I've never worked out my arms a day in my life, but I've been able handle almost all the lifting that is necessary for the job. And on the rare occasion I can't lift something, I just ask a rig hand for help and they are glad to. Finally, I've gotten more periods on a rig than I can count. Suck it up and move on. It's not pleasant, but when is it ever? Pop a Midol and get to work!

Anyway, I would just hate to think of any girls not going into the oilfield based on the bad experience of one woman with a bad attitude. Rig life isn't perfect, but being a girl has nothing to do with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sneji in Granada Hills, California

55 months ago

Fred in Visalia, California said: After reading most of these posts you'd think it's miserable to be a Geologist. I believe a lot of the problem with most folks here is a poor attitude. I live in California where the unemployment rate is hovering around 12%. However, look on the SF Bay area CL and you'll find a ton of employers needing geologists ranging from staff to senior level. I'm self employed after graduating in 2003 with a B.S. in Geology. We all have to start at the bottom after graduating, which I did. But I focused on passing the ASBOG and California Supplemental exam, got my PG license, and the work won't stop coming in. My advice is to stick it out and get the initial experience and work toward getting your PG license. Once you have tha PG license, many doors will open. The jobs are out there. Environmental work is booming all over the country. And true, if you want to work as a "Geologist" for an O&G company, an M.S. in Geology is definitely the way to go. However, that being said, there is work out there. I love what I do. It's a great career. The economy stinks but it will get better. It appears that burn out or just plain lack of motivation has gripped some folks on this forum. And don't complain about being a woman or being too old, etc. We all can use our race or gender as a crutch. SUCK IT UP! I know MANY geologist of differing races and gender that are working. Good luck!

Thank you! Your comment is exactly what I needed to read. And I agree with everything you wrote.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

h6 in Sugar Land, Texas

55 months ago

Girl in Lafayette, Louisiana said: I completely disagree with everything you have said on this forum, H6. I am a girl and have been working on oil rigs (offshore and land) for over a year. All the men (except for one or two grumps) have been nothing but nice to me, treating me as they would a sister. They look out for you because you are a girl, not in spite of it. I don't love this job (I'm a field engineer by the way, but work alongside mudloggers), but it's because of the lifestyle, not the people I work with. Also, I've never worked out my arms a day in my life, but I've been able handle almost all the lifting that is necessary for the job. And on the rare occasion I can't lift something, I just ask a rig hand for help and they are glad to. Finally, I've gotten more periods on a rig than I can count. Suck it up and move on. It's not pleasant, but when is it ever? Pop a Midol and get to work!

Anyway, I would just hate to think of any girls not going into the oilfield based on the bad experience of one woman with a bad attitude. Rig life isn't perfect, but being a girl has nothing to do with it.

You're probably right. I had a bad experience. Not everyone will. I've spent a lot of time pissed off at the world over the financial nightmare my experience caused me, as well as the downward spiral of personal problems I've had stemming from it. I'm not super concerned about it anymore. I injured myself while working at a job I got after mudlogging in such a way that I will never be able to work in the geological field again (or anything else that requires lifting more than like 40 lbs). That's my problem. Everyone have fun doing whatever. At the end of the day I suppose the point of this forum is:

Q: wtf do we do with these BS's in Geology that we earned?

A: Whatever the hell you want. It doesn't really matter. I actually don't think I have any friends from college who are actually working in the field they got their BS in anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

55 months ago

Fred in Visalia, California said: After reading most of these posts you'd think it's miserable to be a Geologist. I believe a lot of the problem with most folks here is a poor attitude...My advice is to stick it out and get the initial experience and work toward getting your PG license. Once you have tha PG license, many doors will open. The jobs are out there. Environmental work is booming all over the country. And true, if you want to work as a "Geologist" for an O&G company, an M.S. in Geology is definitely the way to go. However, that being said, there is work out there. I love what I do. It's a great career. The economy stinks but it will get better. It appears that burn out or just plain lack of motivation has gripped some folks on this forum. And don't complain about being a woman or being too old, etc. We all can use our race or gender as a crutch. SUCK IT UP! I know MANY geologist of differing races and gender that are working. Good luck!

If a PG is the golden ticket to get a job, then colleges are doing a lousy job at communicating that to the students. I don't think any of my professors once mentioned a P.G license.

Also, if it is critical to get a Master's to get an entry level job, this also should be explained. It is obvious for a person to expect more opportunities with a master's, but they are telling people a B.S. will be adequate when in reality it is not, at least without a P.G. or experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Fred in Visalia, California

55 months ago

carpediem in Davenport, Iowa said: Just Curious what type of work you did straight out of college? I am really hurting here. I graduated 6 months ago with a BS in geology and I haven't have one phone call yet. I've had two internships with the government during my college years but still that doesn't seem to help me. I've been digging so deep for jobs. I've applied for almost every single job category in the geosciences.

Anyone have any suggestions for good mud logging companies or anything, just anything. Thank you.

Started as an entry level environmental geo. Have you considered moving to another state? You WILL find work in California. Check the bay area or southern Cal CL posts. There's one in Martinez for Entry level posted Feb 14.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Fred in Visalia, California said: Started as an entry level environmental geo. Have you considered moving to another state? You WILL find work in California. Check the bay area or southern Cal CL posts. There's one in Martinez for Entry level posted Feb 14.

Thank you for the suggestions. I was planning on moving to Utah soon but California has definitely been on my mind as well. I am sure California has many more jobs when compared to Utah.

Edit: While writing this I got a call about an entry level geologist job. Wish me luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Christophicus in Irvine, California

54 months ago

Good luck!!! :)

Longhorn in Austin, Texas

54 months ago

The reason y'all are having such issues is you have no experience and only a B.S. in Geology. Two options: 1) go back to school and get a master's 2) get experience....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Geophysics in Austin, Texas

54 months ago

Longhorn in Austin, Texas said: The reason y'all are having such issues is you have no experience and only a B.S. in Geology. Two options: 1) go back to school and get a master's 2) get experience....

hahaha, AGREED!

There are Bachelor's level jobs in Geoscience available. However, more job opportunities and better advancement potential are available to those with at least a Master's degree in Geology or Geophysics. Environmental scientists also require at least a Bachelor's degree in Hydrogeology, Geochemistry or Geology, but employers often prefer candidates with Master's degrees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CuteKitty in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

Yes it boils down to getting a Graduate degree or just doing your time in the Field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

CuteKitty in Houston, Texas said: Yes it boils down to getting a Graduate degree or just doing your time in the Field.

Hi, I see you worked in the mudlogging business. Would it be ok if I gave you an an email? I would like to ask you a couple questions if that is alright with you.

I'll post my e-mail address once you respond. This way my email will be the only one public. It's a junk email anyway I've had it since middle school, lol.

I guess you would have to send the first mail then. Hope this is ok!

swisler in Stillwater, Oklahoma

54 months ago

I will graduate in Dec of 2011 with my BS in geology at Oklahoma State University. I really wanted to go to grad school and my GPA is over a 3.0, but the financial issue is the most pressing at the moment. I have a husband and a two year old, so obviously extensive 'alone" travel is not what I'm looking for. I love geology which is why I majored in it in the first place. They have always emphasized the need for a MS here. I still don't know what emphasis I want to pursue, environmental or petroleum, or what will be the most conducive to already having a family (though I am still young, turning 25 this April). I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what kind of job I will be looking at with a bachelors or a masters in either field. I really love geology, and I want to live comfortably and be able to support my family. I've been really down on myself just feeling like I know nothing, even though I've gotten A's and B's in every geology/math course I've taken for my major requirements. I'm really feeling uncertain about my future, especially reading the above posts. If anyone has any insight/suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Supporting my family in a job that won't make me miserable is my only goal, and I will work as hard as I have to... Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Geophysicist in Tampa, Florida

54 months ago

swisler in Stillwater, Oklahoma said: I will graduate in Dec of 2011 with my BS in geology at Oklahoma State University. I really wanted to go to grad school and my GPA is over a 3.0, but the financial issue is the most pressing at the moment. I have a husband and a two year old, so obviously extensive 'alone" travel is not what I'm looking for.QUOTE]

Swisler I attended graduate school immediately after obtaining my geology degree. How it works for most universities in America is that more than likely you wont get accepted if they don't have funding; that is, if you get accepted to graduate school in the US 9/10 universities/colleges have the funding to pay for all of your schooling and will also provide a teaching assistantship or research assistantship (talk to your profs about it they should also emphasize this). Try to decide what you want to specialize in and start talking with profs at schools. I kept an open mind and applied all over from Boston, to Hawaii. It is a bit more competative because not only are you trying to get in, but so is the rest of the world because everyone knows the funding is there for this field. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Zhoog in Houten, Netherlands

54 months ago

Interesting discussion here. The job market for graduated geologists is pretty tight right now. I am having the same problems. The thing is to keep trying and there are a lot of companies to apply to. If your mobile this is a great advantage and try to do extra-curricular activities. Don't spend your time waiting, it's better to have a short time job and look from the real one from there. You can also try getting into linked in groups and having your profile and cv updated. Oilcareers.com is also a good one and you might want to sign up to www.epgeology.com as there are a lot of recruiters and professionals there as well. Mingle in the discussions and hope your views and comments are going to get picked up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ss in Calgary, Alberta

54 months ago

ehm, how do u get experience in geology?? Evry job posting I looked at need experience!! How am I gonna get exp. if I just graduated?

oilpatch

54 months ago

"ehm, how do u get experience in geology?? Evry job posting I looked at need experience!! How am I gonna get exp. if I just graduated?"

You take the first job offer that you receive that gives you some experience in the field your looking to work in and you do the best job you can. You ask questions and step up to do more then what is asked of you. When you have the minimum experience required, then you apply for the better jobs.

Of course, if you want to be a bull rider, then you place a handful of marbles in your mouth. Every time you ride a bull, spit one marble out. When you have no more marbles in your head, then You are a Bull rider.

Texan in Odessa, Texas

54 months ago

swisler in Stillwater, Oklahoma said: I will graduate in Dec of 2011 with my BS in geology at Oklahoma State University. I really wanted to go to grad school and my GPA is over a 3.0, but the financial issue is the most pressing at the moment. I have a husband and a two year old, so obviously extensive 'alone" travel is not what I'm looking for. I love geology which is why I majored in it in the first place. They have always emphasized the need for a MS here. I still don't know what emphasis I want to pursue, environmental or petroleum, or what will be the most conducive to already having a family (though I am still young, turning 25 this April). I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what kind of job I will be looking at with a bachelors or a masters in either field. I really love geology, and I want to live comfortably and be able to support my family. I've been really down on myself just feeling like I know nothing, even though I've gotten A's and B's in every geology/math course I've taken for my major requirements. I'm really feeling uncertain about my future, especially reading the above posts. If anyone has any insight/suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Supporting my family in a job that won't make me miserable is my only goal, and I will work as hard as I have to... Thanks.

I would avoid environmental consulting if you can. Maybe I just got tired of being laid off, I"m 40 and with a MS in Limnology. I did that for a decade in the Dallas Fort Worth area and even some in your area of Oklahoma. I now do env. compliance for a large company (and love it). Env. consulting has taken a real beating in this economy and the type of work you might do in the pet. industry is real geology in my opinion. But working for an O&G company will involve lots of travel and foreign assignments I would think.

Steven

telepahn in Colorado Springs, Colorado

54 months ago

Hello Steven,

I am a recruiter in the mining industry. You are still in school, DO AN INTERNSHIP! Companies stategicly market students by attending career fairs and events to spark interests in the study of their business. You have to understand that is where you can gain valuable experience as well as the possiblity of getting a job. Each year about this time companies start posting positions for students who are still in school. For example, I have worked for both Newmont and Kinross who are both Fortune 500 companies and leaders in the gold mining industry. Each company has a robust internship program in which they hire students each year.

I see it time and time again. Students do not complete any internship and when the graduate, they have no experience and no contacts or know any companies that they can work for.

Here is a lead. The Kinross Gold Corporation is seeking a Geology Intern for the summer. No, it isn't a full time job, but you can gain valuable experience and meet people in the industry who could possibly help you obtain full time work in the future.

Send me your resume and I will put you in as a candidate. It is in Round Mountain, NV. A very isolated and remote area. It is only for a few months and it will be good experience.

Send your resume to resumes@miningjobs4u.com

Thank you,

Ronald Hollins
MiningJobs4U

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lc in nv in winnemucca, Nevada

53 months ago

Gary Rogers PG in Greensboro, North Carolina said: I wrote a two part article for AEG News on careers in geology. It has information for you job seekers that will be of use. It's posted on my website at sites.google.com/site/garyrogerspg/
There are jobs out there and many of them are filled before they are posted. So be proactive and go visit everyone who you want to work for.
Good luck and keep applying.

Thank you Gary for your post and website link. If other Geos out there haven't given it a read, I highly suggest it. It is very valuable and thorough. Also I really enjoyed the link to Sarah Andrews writing on how the Geologist thinks.

Btw-Nevada has excellent opportunities for recent Geology grads interested in mining. And you actually would be doing geology..bonus! Applications for summer internships need to be submitted often by January. Entry level positions come up often on infomine.com My suggestions aside from that is to make contacts in the industry either through professional societies or networking with other classmates that enjoy what they are doing, etc.

Cheers Gary and to all!

Fred in Adelaide, Australia

52 months ago

Do not became a mine geologist FIFO leads to divoice
or you end up living in a hole with no decent women aound. Once you are in the game it is very difficult to leave it and start a new career. Do not became a geologist more money does not mean a better standard of living

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

G.Jenk in Newark, Ohio

52 months ago

I'm an unemployed Geologist in Ohio and have been tryin like crazy to find a mudlogger position in Tx but all I get is these places wantin me to pay them to post my resume any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

G.Jenk in Newark, Ohio

52 months ago

mikeg19_82 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I graduated in May 2008 with a BS in Geosciences from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I have had no luck finding work. I've applied for many many jobs including oil companies, as well as local, regional, and national environmental consulting jobs. One world-renowned company I just about got hired to in Washington, DC had a hiring freeze after my final interviews. My resume is on most databases and the "environmental jobs" websites.

What do degree holders do with this degree? I'm currently a part-time bank teller. I need help.

I feel your pain I'm in ohio and have been unemployed almost a year now most civil engineering firms here are pretty much done for seems like everyday i wonder wat made me decide a degree in Geology lol anyway have u tried at jus being a field geologist out behind rigs it sucks but its work tho

oilpatch

52 months ago

G.Jenk in Newark, Ohio said: I'm an unemployed Geologist in Ohio and have been tryin like crazy to find a mudlogger position in Tx but all I get is these places wantin me to pay them to post my resume any suggestions?

The Mudlogging Company USA, LP. Look us up on the web.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.