B.S. Geology, need job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 220)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

wilkeje in Bluefield, West Virginia

66 months ago

mikeg19_82 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I graduated in May 2008 with a BS in Geosciences from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I have had no luck finding work. I've applied for many many jobs including oil companies, as well as local, regional, and national environmental consulting jobs. One world-renowned company I just about got hired to in Washington, DC had a hiring freeze after my final interviews. My resume is on most databases and the "environmental jobs" websites.

What do degree holders do with this degree? I'm currently a part-time bank teller. I need help.

I'm in the same boat - BS in geology, been applying for 7 months. I hope someone provides some insight!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

wellsitegeo

64 months ago

I am a wellsite geologist in Canada. The oil an gas industry is highly cyclical, so going back to school when things are slow is a good idea. In fact that's what I did about eight years ago, the last time there was a lull. It will be ok.

Your other option is to sell fruit by the side of the road, that also worked for me. Find something that you can make some money doing and that you can leave at the drop of a hat. Doing something like that will also give a sense of what it takes to make a living and an appreciation for where you are when you get there down the road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Milwaukee, WI in Arlington, Tennessee

64 months ago

Update got a job (not related to Geology)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Matthew in Grand Rapids, Michigan

60 months ago

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one having problems finding a job with a BS in geo. Got my degree June 08 and I am still serving at the hotel I've been working at for 5 years. I've even been trying to get an internship with some company, but you need a minimum 3.5 gpa to get into most of them. I am so in debt I don't think I can afford to go back to grad school, but I don't know what my other options are. The local college where I live offers a wind-energy technician certification that only takes about 26 weeks to complete, so I am thinking about taking that avenue--maybe get the certification and see if I can get something that would allow me to go back to school for a masters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Gary Rogers PG in Greensboro, North Carolina

60 months ago

I wrote a two part article for AEG News on careers in geology. It has information for you job seekers that will be of use. It's posted on my website at sites.google.com/site/garyrogerspg/
There are jobs out there and many of them are filled before they are posted. So be proactive and go visit everyone who you want to work for.
Good luck and keep applying.

mikeg19_82 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I graduated in May 2008 with a BS in Geosciences from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I have had no luck finding work. I've applied for many many jobs including oil companies, as well as local, regional, and national environmental consulting jobs. One world-renowned company I just about got hired to in Washington, DC had a hiring freeze after my final interviews. My resume is on most databases and the "environmental jobs" websites.

What do degree holders do with this degree? I'm currently a part-time bank teller. I need help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan Weller in Sydney, Australia

60 months ago

The Geo job market is a bit better in Australia.
Coal Seam Gas (aka CBM) and metal/coal mining are on the rise with demand from China and Asia.

I moved from the US to Australia for a job logging core with coal seam gas exploration, and hope it is just a stepping stone. I was mudlogging and enviro consulting for 2 years in the US before I came here. Hope to move to something more intellectually challenging soon.

If you can find an employer to get you a 457 sponsored visa that would be best, but there are a few other visa options available too (www.immi.gov.au). However with boom/bust and the influx of geologists it seems that immigration has recently become more focused on protecting Australians, asking companies to hire Australians before internationals.

I only got 1 bite from about 50 applications back in December. Try your luck here if you're interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

J in Calgary in Calgary, Alberta

59 months ago

I am a recent geo grad working in Calgary, Alberta. Due to the economic slow down I just lost my job. Although, I gained some very critical references finding a job in the industry is next to impossible. Its a boom/bust industry and must cash in the boom and save up for the busts. I suggest renting a house/apartment, and bank your money, invest wisely, and find something you truly enjoy and go do that. Geoscience never be stable, just like commodities never are. We all knew that going in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nickelpickle in Tustin, California

57 months ago

hum,
all of your suggestions are interesting I am new in the field and am still in school .Any advice as to the direction of my career path.I am interested in mining as well as the oil fields.Would like to work in South America

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

h6 in Richmond, Texas

56 months ago

I was lured to Houston from Illinois by a horrible mudlogging job from a DISHONEST company. They told me I'd be working with a team of all-female mudloggers. It wasn't until they sent me out on my first rig that I learned I was not only the youngest person at the drillsite (by about 10 years), I was the only female. I quit after a month and the only job I've been able to get since is at JCPenney. All you geology undergrads- DON'T come to oil, DON'T come to Houston, you'll REGRET it like I am right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

mataactor in Kalamazoo, Michigan

56 months ago

I totally feel ya on that one! Went to Midland, Texas to work for a small mudlogging company under the impression I would be doing a good thing towards starting my geo career. I was told that my self-training would take 2-3 weeks and after that I would be making 150$ a day. When I got into the field I discovered that I was the youngest person there by 20 years! And, everything I had been told by the owner of the company was exaggerated! Training lasted at least a month if not two, I had to sit in a trailer with two 300 lb ex Navy/convict 50 yr olds who listened to gospel on youtube all day while getting into shouting matches about who was the right religion and why the other would be going to heck, and noone in the history of the company has gone on to be recruited as an actual wellsite geologist! It didn't help that during my 'self training period" i would only be making about 7.50/hr to do the worlds most tedious job in close quarters with a bunch of close minded self-important dudes... Actual quote from guy #1 in reference to the last graduate to "self train" with him :
"I can smell a bad geologist a mile away! I got me two degrees in animal farm science and nu-clear technologies! I know stuff the governe-ment wouldn't want you to know!" "Dale (guy #2), you will be judged by the lord savior for your sins and your blind faith!"
What a bad experience, I DID NOT goto school for 5 years and get a geoscience degree to do this! Left Midland TX promptly after a week in the field. This is not a GEOLOGY job. The actual intellectual stimulating geology work you will do takes up approximately twenty minutes of your day. The rest is data entry, youtube goofing, arguing with your coworkers, and making constant trips to the shaker to get covered in mud every so often. (This part started out kinda cool, I don't mind getting dirty, but it lost its luster fairly quickly as it becomes tedious and annoying.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mataactor in Kalamazoo, Michigan

56 months ago

I felt like I was in some sort of prison. I had to call and check in with the boss like 8 times a day. And I never knew I was mildly claustrophobic until I started staying in the trailer on site. Public restroom is exactly right, super tiny living/working quarters.
I bought their crock o' BS hook-line-and-sinker. Didn't take long for me to figure that it was mostly bogus once I started "working." They paid me gas money for the trip down, but certainly not on the way home! I was also made to sign a contract that said if I quit or got "poached" by another logging company I would have to pay them around 2 grand for the "training" they provided me. I thought that smelled a little fishy, since we were supposed to "self-train."
I continue to work at the hotel I worked at during college, bartending and catering. But as you said, credit card bills and student loans are piling up. I make about 15,000 a year and that is not cutting it! It really sucks that every geo-company hiring right now wants people with masters degrees or 2+ years of experience. Mudlogging CAN NOT be the only entry-level geology job available, can it? Anywho, the job search sucks right now here in Michigan, but I am trying to keep a stiff upper lip. I would like to do something with my geology degree, but in this climate it doesn't seem plausible. Ah well, don't listen to bitter old me. I graduated in 08 and have been actively geo-job hunting ever since. Of the hundreds of apps and resumes I've sent out, the mudlogging company was the first legitimate call I had for a geo job. Can you say "frustration?"

P.S. Mahjong is fun!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

h6 in Richmond, Texas

56 months ago

I have been looking around for entry-level work in Environmental Consulting. Environ is accepting apps nationwide for entry-level associates, There are probably a few others that are as well. In college our geo classes were pretty heavy on environmental stuff anyway being that there's no oil in Illinois... On geology.com they have a listing of major consulting firms and other companies that hire geologists, too.

geology.com/jobs.htm

Its worth looking at, I guess. you're making more at your hotel than I was at JCP (after working there over a year, i just quit last week, i'd rather be unemployed than get lectured on not taking cashier calls and cleaning out my fitting rooms on time)

I didn't spend all that time memorizing the chemical formulas of minerals and different types of soil and whatnot to get treated like a second class citizen by high schoolers wanting t-shirts taken down from pegs too high on the wall to reach.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Australia

55 months ago

Susan in Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania said: Howdy,

Send me your resume and I will forward it to my company. PA would be a more suitable location in the Marcellus Shale, no doubt.

Hi Susan, I went to school at Pitt and am considering a move back state-side, what's a good email address to contact you at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JustinV in Grass Valley, California

55 months ago

It is good to know I am not the only Geology graduate having a hard time looking for a job. I graduated 10 months ago and up until now I have no luck in finding a geology related job. I've also known about the abundance of geology related jobs in Australia, but I have no luck finding a company willing to sponsor a 457 visa. I envy my older geology friends that were hired immediately because of the mining boom around 2-3 years ago. The Oil and gas industry as well as the mining industry are highly cyclical as said by wellsitegeo, it is just too bad we graduated in a "bust" season of the industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Josh White

54 months ago

Man, I gotta tell you, you all are in EXACTLY the same boat as me!! I graduated from the Univ. of Wyoming with my BS in Geology last august and have had a tough time of it too. After driving a truck for 6 months I finally landed a job as (yep, you guessed it) a mudlogger! Fortunately the company I work for is pretty cool, real small with a great owner who's trying to get me on with EOG... but even then I'll only be a land tech (like a 2nd class landman) making pennies so... looks like grad school is the only wat to go for us. Hate to say it but...
btw... The Mudlogging Company called me at the same time I got this job and offered my 172/day, but according to my boss (who is certainly not overpaying me, but has been extremely upfront and honest about everything) they lie frequently and use a sliding pay scale so that 172 would probably be considerably less in actuality. But hey, feels good to know i'm not the only one out there with a great education and nothing to do with it!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

h6 in Richmond, Texas

54 months ago

If there was one word I could use to describe The Mudlogging Co, it would be 'LIARS!' They lied to me about sooooo many things and all the people I worked with in the short time I was with them were fed the same pack of lies I had been. They turned keylogging on all their computers and would call up people and scream at them for applying for other jobs! I witnessed a phone call where they made a 30 year old man cry for watching youtube videos at 3am when they were barely drilling enough to take a sample once every 8 hours and frequently shutting down due to mechanical problems. Just terrible! I wouldn't advise ANYONE to work for those villains.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brandi in Tallmadge, Ohio

54 months ago

I earned my BS in Geology in 2001; got sick and tired of being laid off every two years so I went back for my MBA with a finance concentration luckily I didn't pay a dime for that degree and now I am waitressing with a seasonal inspecion job; neither of which I needed a degree for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

maresh in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

Susan in Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania said: Howdy,

I am from Texas and presently work in Pennsylvania. Typically, I work with another female because when we work in the same area, the company supplies an apartment or hotel. We are normally the only females on site, but that can't be all bad. Anyway, our company is good and we are looking for experienced loggers that are degreed. Send me your resume and I will forward it to my company. PA would be a more suitable location in the Marcellus Shale, no doubt. I do miss Texas, though.

how do we send u the resumes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

swilliamson

54 months ago

swilliamson.ski@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

T in Scottsdale, Arizona

54 months ago

To those that are new to the field: If it makes anyone feel any better, I just wanted to put this out there that my Dad has had SO many years of experience it isn't even funny in oil and methane geology work and he is still struggling to find a steady stream of work during these last few bust years. He was fortunate to get his start during the boom in the early 80's so he's probably the only consulting geologist that has stuck it out through the hard times in northeast Wyoming. So if y'all are trying to find work right out of school I would suggest having a back up plan like my Dad did for many years, like a part time job you can put on hold when a big job comes up. He did a variety of different second jobs so you definately have to flexible in this line of work. I can't even imagine the pressure he must of had trying to support us growing up... but he sure did a great job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

yz in Mauldin, South Carolina

53 months ago

I went to an interview with The Mudlogging Company. An orientation was "planned" to take place the day after the interview. When i showed up, the orientation was canceled and I had to buy another plane ticket home. The HR Rep really screwed me. The fact that they are always looking for loggers shows that they cannot retain new employees. There are surely some big problems with this company. I would advise to stay away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

h6 in Richmond, Texas

53 months ago

yz in Mauldin, South Carolina said: I went to an interview with The Mudlogging Company. An orientation was "planned" to take place the day after the interview. When i showed up, the orientation was canceled and I had to buy another plane ticket home. The HR Rep really screwed me. The fact that they are always looking for loggers shows that they cannot retain new employees. There are surely some big problems with this company. I would advise to stay away.

They tried to get me to attend an orientation that was scheduled for the next day too! And then they wanted me to start later that week when they knew I had no place to stay. They didn't even interview me so much as when I came in the only question I was asked was "Why do you want to be a mudlogger?" and then the HR guy (It's still the same guy so I know exactly who you're talking about) pretty much hired me on the spot. Its like they are desperate to hire anyone they can get in their office because nobody stays on longer than a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

bcu123

53 months ago

mikeg19_82 in Grasonville, Maryland said: You need experience, isn't that funny how that works. I have a field geology job and am not a geologist. I train the ba,bs and master degreed geologists that come to my company. We are hiring geologists, I am a rare bird, so don't be too disgusted. Look up Geosearch Logging, based out of Oklahoma. We are drilling in the Marcellus Shale and provide service to Oil and Natural Gas companies from all over the world. If you do not have a job at this moment, this is a place to get experience and acquired life changing contacts. swilliamson.ski@gmail.com. Good luck.

geosearc is one of the worst company's to work for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Regina in Windermere, Florida

52 months ago

To all you graduate of BS Geology. Geologist are highly sought after here in Florida. Because of Sinkhole we always have around. A lot of Engineering Companies like ours are looking for so long for a Licensed Geologist who could write report and work for us. if you have an excellent writting skills and highly impecable eye for working on details. Do send your resume to us. info@wpes.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

muri72 in Las Vegas, Nevada

51 months ago

I am also a woman in the field of Geology. I have had some luck in finding work in the past but now I have only 2 years of work experience and most of it is in environmental planning I have not had any luck finding a job. The thing to do is keep applying and consider going back to school for that MS degree. I am looking now into an MS program in environmental planning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

flyncatfish in Birmingham, Alabama

51 months ago

I've been a geologist for over 20 years. When I first came out of school the joke was: What do you call a geologist? A: Hey Waiter! Some things never change. Hang in their guys and gals - it will turn around. I hear they're hiring down at the Gulf.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

old geologist in Lake Jackson, Texas

51 months ago

I graduated in 1985 right in the middle of the bust. I worked and got screwed by an industrial mining company. He promised me I was a permanent hire but I was laid off after two years. I lost my job, my girlfriend decided to marry another man, my car broke, and my Dad told me he had cancer and would die soon, all of this happened on the same day! the same day! I returned to graduate school after Dad died. I went to UHCL and obtained a MS in environmental geology in 1993. I worked at an environmental consulting company, one that no longer exist, and found that they were not the most honest company out there. I quit six months later, figured that was better than risking going to prison because of what people in that company were doing. I worked at Sears for awhile, and ended up being a prison guard for a total of 10 years. During 2008 I was getting phone calls from recruiters about oil and gas jobs and I resigned from my little job at TDCJ, hoping I would be making three times the pay. No company hired me and I have been unemployed for over two years. I feel your pain and you are not alone. I often wish I had listened to my Dad and been a chemical engineer. I had a bad experience with a mudlogging company in Midland, Texas back in 2001. Old Bob watched animia (cartoons) all the time and he and his brother would get into fist fights on sight of each other. It was not a Quality experience at 150 dollars per day (about $12 per hour).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Regina in Windermere, Florida said: To all you graduate of BS Geology. Geologist are highly sought after here in Florida. Because of Sinkhole we always have around. A lot of Engineering Companies like ours are looking for so long for a Licensed Geologist who could write report and work for us. if you have an excellent writting skills and highly impecable eye for working on details. Do send your resume to us. info@wpes.net

I have applied to some of those jobs. I passed the FG exam in Texas and I would like to get my PG somewhere. Will they consider relocation expenses? What are the job requirements? I have a MS in Geology and have beeb looking for a job for over two years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Just heard from a mining company in another country. They said I do not have the skills they desire. Funny, I have done the same job in the past and I found minerals. I wrote the report and calculated the reserves. I even laid out the mine area for the engineers. I do not think these HR people have a clue about just what a Geologist does or how to read a resume. Anyone else have these types of experiences?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RmacTTU in San Antonio, Texas

50 months ago

I heard Apache was opening up a relatively large, new office in the Midland/Odessa area and were in need of Geo Techs and a Sr. Geologist.

It's interesting to read all these comments because, by the time I graduated, I wished I had pursued a degree in Geology.

Granted, the O&G industry is the one that pays the best(on average) but don't be afraid to look into state jobs or water conservation related areas. Also, I've seen numerous GIS positions in and around the city of San Antonio. Wish I qualified to apply for them but, alas, I lack any formal education in ArcGIS or related tools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pld geologist in Lake Jackson, Texas

50 months ago

h6 in Richmond, Texas said: I was lured to Houston from Illinois by a horrible mudlogging job from a DISHONEST company. They told me I'd be working with a team of all-female mudloggers. It wasn't until they sent me out on my first rig that I learned I was not only the youngest person at the drillsite (by about 10 years), I was the only female. I quit after a month and the only job I've been able to get since is at JCPenney. All you geology undergrads- DON'T come to oil, DON'T come to Houston, you'll REGRET it like I am right now.

The same thing happened to me back in 2001. It was a terrible experience for me and I got screwed big time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina in Ogden, Utah

48 months ago

I am currently enrolled at Weber State University. Originally I wanted to do the AEG degree, but a semester in changed to Geology because I wanted a more specialized field to have a better base for graduate school in the future. I am a little discerned after hearing all your guys stories. What would be a solid option for school for something related to the Geosciences? Do you guys feel this is simply an economic slump thing? or should I plan on something different in general. I really love science (particularly earth science) and have thought about geophysics, even though I am not yet great with math. I have a exceptional aptitude for technical things and feel as though I would be able to handle whatever is thrown at me. However I want something that is 40k plus and can pay off my loans. What would your guys suggest as advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

old geologist in Clute, Texas

48 months ago

It has been over two years, but I am still looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina in Ogden, Utah

48 months ago

mikeg19_82 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I am the original poster. I landed a government job at a water purification plant. It's semi-related to some courses I took in college and I like it. It only requires an associates degree, but the younger hires have bachelors and masters in sciences (...)

I appreciate your reply. What have you heard about Environmental Engineering? When I decided to do Geology, I thought it was a great foundational science. I originally wanted to have the knowledge to know what impacts will happen as result of Climate Change. I wanted to mitigate. And I felt the best way to do that was to get an education on how to recognize that. Seemed pretty obvious at least at the time. My brother keeps telling me that I should do this Engineer. As it would allow me to use my passion and knowledge as foundational to actually "mitigate" by resolving those "found" probs. I just never thought about it that way. However I feel if any woman can do it, I can. But you see alot of jobs post for either (Geology, Env Engineer, Hydrologist). So it makes me wonder, if that is even as glamorous as it seems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

h6 in Richmond, Texas

48 months ago

Kristina in Ogden, Utah said: However I feel if any woman can do it, I can. But you see alot of jobs post for either (Geology, Env Engineer, Hydrologist). So it makes me wonder, if that is even as glamorous as it seems.

Kristina, as a woman as well as with someone with a BS in geology that I've gotten absolutely no use out of, please know that if you choose to stick with it you are not choosing an easy path and the fact that you are female is an added challenge. My short experience as a mud-logger (which is pretty much all you're going to get with just a BS) showed me that women are NOT welcomed onto rigs with open arms. In fact, they aren't welcome at all. The things I love about geology there are no practical (employable) applications for. I have been out of school for 2 years and the only thing I could get was mudlogging which was awful. If you plan to have a relationship, if you want to have a family, if you want children- you will not be able to go into geology because the jobs rely very heavily on you traveling (and not to anywhere cool) and staying at sites for months at a time. Additionally, those jobs all have physical requirements that you may or may not be able to meet (I can't) like being able to lift and carry very heavy loads. If you want to be employed when you finish school, go into nursing or get a teaching certificate. Schools are really hurting for science and math teachers and there are probably a lot of options there. You can use a BS in geology and go through an alternative certificate program with no problem.
If you're going to get a masters I'd recommend going ahead and getting a PhD while you're at it and becoming a professor.
I love geology so much, but if I could do it over again I would never major in it in a million years because there are just no jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

old geologist in Clute, Texas

48 months ago

I have often thought my BS and MS in geology were a waste of my time and money. However, I know other geologist who I went to school with that make well over $100,000 per year. Most of them were more mature than I and could manage school, keep good grades, and date the right type of women. They ended up being good providers for their families and only saw one or two rounds of layoffs at the most since the middle 80s after we graduated. I went a different route throughout life and it has been a painfull one and I am lonely. I often wish I had never gone to college in the first place and ended up becoming a cop or an operator inside the chemical plants. As it is now, I have spent mosst of my adult life unemployed or underemployed. I walked off my last job on 02/18/2010 because I felt I was too good a geologist to spend another day working as a prison guard, taking home a few dollars more that $20,000 per year, the corruption and incompetence of my uneducated superiors never ceased to amaze me, the threats of violence, being stalked or spied upon, and other things, as well as being the caregiver for my Mother with alzheimer's disease proved to be too much for me. I have been unemployed for over 2.5 years and now my Mother has passed away. In short, I have no retirement, no job, no future, and no money. I just turned 52 and I doubt I will survive longer than 5 years. For me, chasing that geology major was the wrong choice, and it is one I deeply regret.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mikeg19_82 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

48 months ago

Kristina in Ogden, Utah said: I appreciate your reply. What have you heard about Environmental Engineering?

I am not claiming to be a job expert and this is all anecdotal evidence. If you want an "official" outlook look here: www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm#outlook.

I know some civil engineers but don't know any environmental engineers. I do see many postings for civil and especially road and wastewater engineers. There are also mining/geological engineering opportunities in mineral rich regions. It takes a strong personality to make a difference as an engineer, because you are going to be working with people who, in my opinion, generally do not like criticism or feedback.

The advice I can give is contradictory because if you want to think big, think big. If you love environmental work and are willing to face an uncertain job market, do it. You don't want to look back in ten years and regret not doing it if the environment is your passion. You need to find a balance between practicality and passion. I think you should maximize your chance to succeed after college, because it is not easy finding employment.

After I graduated, I was burnt out. I did not want to go for a masters, I chose to make a living instead of applying for grad school. That may have been a mistake, but after four years, I was $20,000 in debt. I reached the limit of how much I could invest into this degree. As a senior, I interviewed with a local consultant for an intern-to-hire position, I realized they required a substantial amount of experience. It was a rude awakening. So if you do environmental studies, I recommend taking as many internships as you possibly can.

Geology in Westborough, Massachusetts

48 months ago

A lot of us in hindsight wish we had studied something else. Join the club. Myself, I recently got a license to teach math, and I was never a math major. If you have a clearer view today than you did yesterday, utilize it!! But you wont, because you think 52 is old. Go seek out a marathon runner in his or her 70's and tell them how old you think you are. See if they dont laugh in your face. Some of the youngest people I know are 80. Some of the oldest people I know are 25.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

If I'm reading you right, that is....it seems like more than anything else, your age of 52 is what (in your mind), has you up against the wall...it shouldnt!!!!

John in Catonsville, Maryland

48 months ago

There are quite a few companies who do not have any desire to hire (discriminate against) people in their 50s and 60s. They want the younger people who will accept less pay (sub living wages). In this economy, companies are also overtly discriminating against people who seem like they have job hopped. I saw an ad that stated "IF YOU HAVE HAD MULTIPLE JOBS THAT LASTED LESS THAN A YEAR, DO NOT APPLY". I personally have been laid off from jobs directly due to the bad economy, yet I am being penalized for something I had no control over. Companies want people who are still employed.

I have been unemployed for over two years- what I need now is a JOB, NOT education (I have two degrees and plenty of continuing ed). If I went back to school to get another degree, I will be that much further in debt and that much older (back to employers are discriminating against the older worker).

47 months ago

John, with all due respect, that all is true in many instances. Be a bold SOB anyway. You look at Stallone who filmed his latest movie at 63. Go take a look at him in that movie. He was a bold SOB to do all that. And I'll bet he will still be a bold SOB at 83. Im quite sure he was roundly mocked for doing that movie at his age. Go check it out and see if YOU....if YOU still feel the same way about your age. Because its YOU that matters here. Its what do YOU think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ras in Auckland, New Zealand

47 months ago

I graduated in 2007 with a BSc in geology. It was during the boom in Australia so a gold company hired me before I had even sat my last exams. But mining really sucks, especially as a girl. But I worked in nz for 5 months then went to Australia in 2008 and was fought over by companies it was crazy. But I got a job in the middle of nowhere it paid good but was the most boring thing ever, I didn’t even need a degree and spent most of my time falling asleep. If you like geology don’t do mining! At least do exploration or engineering geology. I haven’t tried to get a job since and have just been travelling around, I might go back to Australia because so well and I have a massive student loan, but it sucks so much it will be a last resort.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wabs in Casper, Wyoming

46 months ago

Geology is ridonkulous! I wish I would have done something else in school because being outside in a blizzard and windy conditions sucks ass! If you like spending tons of time outside completely alone, in the middle of nowhere doing things that are redundant and boring than go into geology. Every geologist i've met is old and boring, they like rocks and are excited about reading maps. It's not a fun career! I mean i've found a good job but the options are very limited if you don't have a PHD because monkeys can do a geologists work. I feel bad for recent grads due to the fact that they end up sampling dirty groundwater or doing oversight on a drill rig in the middle of nowhere in the cold at midnight. It isn't fun work, you will be worked to death with no future reward unless you stay in the field (meaning outside work) for ten to fifteen years! DO SOMETHING ELSE IN SCHOOL! I know every grad out of school has the view of an amazing future within the field but it isn't that great, it's a job. THATS IT AND THATS ALL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Fred in Visalia, California

46 months ago

After reading most of these posts you'd think it's miserable to be a Geologist. I believe a lot of the problem with most folks here is a poor attitude. I live in California where the unemployment rate is hovering around 12%. However, look on the SF Bay area CL and you'll find a ton of employers needing geologists ranging from staff to senior level. I'm self employed after graduating in 2003 with a B.S. in Geology. We all have to start at the bottom after graduating, which I did. But I focused on passing the ASBOG and California Supplemental exam, got my PG license, and the work won't stop coming in. My advice is to stick it out and get the initial experience and work toward getting your PG license. Once you have tha PG license, many doors will open. The jobs are out there. Environmental work is booming all over the country. And true, if you want to work as a "Geologist" for an O&G company, an M.S. in Geology is definitely the way to go. However, that being said, there is work out there. I love what I do. It's a great career. The economy stinks but it will get better. It appears that burn out or just plain lack of motivation has gripped some folks on this forum. And don't complain about being a woman or being too old, etc. We all can use our race or gender as a crutch. SUCK IT UP! I know MANY geologist of differing races and gender that are working. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

h6 in Richmond, Texas

46 months ago

You know, I'll give you one good reason why it sucks to be a female working in geology. MENSTRUATION. Try having your period while you're on an oil rig and get back to me. Unless you are a woman who has experienced what I have, don't you dare say that "being a woman" is a crutch for a bad attitude. I am not a feminist, I don't blame men for everything, and I certainly don't look for discrimination everywhere I work. I have never, ever, ever felt that being a woman has held me back from anything in my lift EXCEPT for this. And women can do the job. They can do it no problem- in my experience the problem lies with the men who work in that field who are now pissed off at your very existence because they can no longer piss of the side of the rig whenever they want and feel like they have to walk on eggshells because their employers (big oil) have convinced them that a woman on-site is a sexual harassment case waiting to happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (67) Reply - Report abuse

Bruce in Montebello, California

46 months ago

Wow! How depressing these posts are.
My Geology degree did do me some good.
I got it back in the mid 80's in the Midwest.
Worked for a geotechnical company there. I didn't
make much $$$, but I was living at home and the firm
had us technicians travel out of state. Coming out of
college and traveling/staying in hotels was fun.
Then one winter I was fired/laid off. Got unemployment
and almost immediately moved to California.
I really wanted to do something besides geotechnical eng,
but working in sunny CA where the terrain/geology makes
consulting a bit more interesting than flat Midwest.
Did in for a decade, but then got my teaching cred, in
teaching Geology. High School. Believe it or not geology
science teach. cred. are sought after. Did that for about
10 years. And with the summers off I studied a completely
different degree. No longer a teacher or geologist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

christophicus in Irvine, California

45 months ago

Wabs in Casper, Wyoming said: Geology is ridonkulous! I wish I would have done something else in school because being outside in a blizzard and windy conditions sucks ass! If you like spending tons of time outside completely alone, in the middle of nowhere doing things that are redundant and boring than go into geology. Every geologist i've met is old and boring, they like rocks and are excited about reading maps. It's not a fun career! I mean i've found a good job but the options are very limited if you don't have a PHD because monkeys can do a geologists work. I feel bad for recent grads due to the fact that they end up sampling dirty groundwater or doing oversight on a drill rig in the middle of nowhere in the cold at midnight. It isn't fun work, you will be worked to death with no future reward unless you stay in the field (meaning outside work) for ten to fifteen years! DO SOMETHING ELSE IN SCHOOL! I know every grad out of school has the view of an amazing future within the field but it isn't that great, it's a job. THATS IT AND THATS ALL!

If you had no interest in maps or rocks, why did you choose geology as your career path?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

carpediem in Davenport, Iowa

45 months ago

Fred in Visalia, California said: After reading most of these posts you'd think it's miserable to be a Geologist. I believe a lot of the problem with most folks here is a poor attitude. I live in California where the unemployment rate is hovering around 12%. However, look on the SF Bay area CL and you'll find a ton of employers needing geologists ranging from staff to senior level. I'm self employed after graduating in 2003 with a B.S. in Geology. We all have to start at the bottom after graduating, which I did. But I focused on passing the ASBOG and California Supplemental exam, got my PG license, and the work won't stop coming in. My advice is to stick it out and get the initial experience and work toward getting your PG license. Once you have tha PG license, many doors will open. The jobs are out there. Environmental work is booming all over the country. And true, if you want to work as a "Geologist" for an O&G company, an M.S. in Geology is definitely the way to go. However, that being said, there is work out there. I love what I do. It's a great career. The economy stinks but it will get better. It appears that burn out or just plain lack of motivation has gripped some folks on this forum. And don't complain about being a woman or being too old, etc. We all can use our race or gender as a crutch. SUCK IT UP! I know MANY geologist of differing races and gender that are working. Good luck!

Just Curious what type of work you did straight out of college? I am really hurting here. I graduated 6 months ago with a BS in geology and I haven't have one phone call yet. I've had two internships with the government during my college years but still that doesn't seem to help me. I've been digging so deep for jobs. I've applied for almost every single job category in the geosciences.

Anyone have any suggestions for good mud logging companies or anything, just anything. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

carpediem in Davenport, Iowa

45 months ago

I have no problem being cold and dirty as long as I am getting paid and using my geological knowledge that I obtained at University!

Eva geologist UAM in Poznan, Poland

44 months ago

hey everyone
I am studying geology at Adam Mickiewicz University. In Poland, the geology is still underestimated, which was evident after this year's floods. In my country, educated people go to the west (Germany, France) where there are better wages for our work. In Poland, there are very few people end the geology as it is in our very high level, but the study is free. I think specialization engineering geology or petrology and mineralogy of this is my greater passion. My dream is to visit Australia and work here as a geologist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.