What are the best gis technician qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a gis technician? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective gis technician?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

mr moabi in Johannesburg, South Africa

59 months ago

i want to know what requirement are needed in order to purchase a career in gis technician

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Deepak Upreti in India

36 months ago

GIS is very vast and includes many domains,having specialization in any one domain and then strong understanding in GIS, or a certification or a degree in GIS can provide you with a good job and career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

WhyteRabbit

16 months ago

I have worked in the field for several years. My suggestion for success is to focus on computer programing and the field of analytics. GIS line monkeys are a dime a dozen people who can creatively interact with spatial data and understand the workings of an SDE, a sql database and when to dedicate time to ArcObject development or to focus on turnaround using python. The trick to success is to sell yourself, build a reputation for a diverse knowledge base and over deliver whenever you can.

The most effective training you can receive for this is on the job so you will likely have to pay it forward. Take the initiative build on your skills and interests and get a c# / .net / mysql For Dummies book and teach yourself to code. The biggest piece of advice I received while hunting out my first contracts was that the most valuable part of the acronym GIS is the IS. The G is just what your interested in the IS is what people buy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.