Can I make a decent living being a hairstylist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 115)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

ashley in Wesley Chapel, Florida

61 months ago

Its not easy trust me. Most people hop from one place to another. Then when you find it the pay isn't that great either. One way I've been making some extra money to pay for bills is to do surveys and offers at [comment edited by forum moderator] They are one of the ones that isn't a scam. Its a little boring but you can actually make enough money to pay for a few of your bills without putting very much time in. I still love doing hair and thats what keeps me going.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (52) Reply - Report abuse

Daniella G in Brooklyn, New York

61 months ago

haha. I'm also from Brooklyn, NY... in the SAME problem as this chick...Yeah I'm half way through Collge too...thinkin about droppin it to go be a hair stylist...THE BEST school in NY btw, is Paul Mitchell Academy which is in Staten Island, and of course I have questions to as far as the income goes and how i'll be without training wheels once I graduate....but I've been talented with hair & make-up since the age of 13....I always had a passion for it anyway.... I just hope I can make a living out of it....not expecting anything crazy....I'd be happy with enough to live decently....but you guys think it's tough to find a job right after you come out of cosmetology school in NYC ????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

people in Cedar Park, Texas

57 months ago

kendallll. in Cedar Park, Texas said: people dont need to be rude to other people about these things. everyone should just give there own oppinion or story about there life and success of being a hair stylist so that this girl can see all the different life styles that people have while being a hair stylist and decide if she thinks that its the right occupation for her or not,

u spelled opinion wrong

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

kendallll. in Cedar Park, Texas said: you spelled you own name wrong.
so i wouldnt be talking cole.
your not my friend anymore

im jk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

kendallll. in Cedar Park, Texas said: im not

alright well why cant you say this in real life because you are less than 2 feet away

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

not kendalls friend in Cedar Park, Texas

57 months ago

kendallll. in Cedar Park, Texas said: because im never ever talking to you again. we are no longer friends so leave me alone!

ight

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

50 + in Forest Hills, New York

57 months ago

Hi jayme
Ok so Im taking that an older woman no matter how decent she keep herself together WILL get discriminated agains . What are professions for older women 50 + ????Goodness!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

kendallll. in Cedar Park, Texas

57 months ago

yes you can. dont listen to her. it doesnt matter how old you are, besides, people will think you have been doing it for a long time because of your age and come to you because they will think that you really do know what your doing, dont let her scare you away

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

people...again in Cedar Park, Texas

57 months ago

kendallll. in Cedar Park, Texas said: yes you can. dont listen to her. it doesnt matter how old you are, besides, people will think you have been doing it for a long time because of your age and come to you because they will think that you really do know what your doing, dont let her scare you away

ssupp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

oh nothing. you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

people...again in Cedar Park, Texas

57 months ago

bored in this class playin some spider solitare

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

same same, took you long enough

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

hairstylist in Asheville, North Carolina

57 months ago

ashley in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: Its not easy trust me. Most people hop from one place to another. Then when you find it the pay isn't that great either. One way I've been making some extra money to pay for bills is to do surveys and offers at [comment edited by forum moderator] They are one of the ones that isn't a scam. Its a little boring but you can actually make enough money to pay for a few of your bills without putting very much time in. I still love doing hair and thats what keeps me going.

Whats [comment edited by forum moderator] that? How do you get to do that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

ashkaylin

56 months ago

NYC girl in Brooklyn, New York said: Thanks Kila. I really appreciate your advice. One other question...if I go to school at Carsten and then get my license, will I get work as a hairstylist or do I have to start by washing hair and sweeping floors?

I have been a hairstylist for 23 years. It's a tricky business and very hard work if you want to make good money. Your paycheck depend on if someone cancels or keeps an appointment for that day or week. I have a daughter in college right now and one in high school. If she asked me about going to beauty school instead of college, I would tell her not to do it. I am burned out with hair right now, so I decided to take a break, but I don't have a backup now. If I had gone to college and decided on beauty school as a backup, I would be fine right now. Luckily, my husband makes pretty good money while I try to go back to school to get a degree at my age. So, I advice you honey, to stay in college and finish. You maybe tire of it, but you will look back on your decision in 20 years and be greatful. You can go to beauty school as a secondary choice later. I have back pain and developed allergies to the chemicals also. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

maia in Sarasota, Florida

56 months ago

Wow yall must be doing hair in North Dakota! lol here in Florida there is a lot of money to be made.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

second career in Baldwin, New York

54 months ago

I went to Carsten and finished two years ago, I started in the night program and then switched to the day. I was actually a teacher and everyone thinks I"m crazy to give up all those benefits, but I've always wanted to do hair, and I truly do love it.

Here's the lowdown:
Carsten is the best school to go to in NYC. You don't appreciate it while you're in it, but in most schools you barely get to work on human heads, and if you do, it's just roller sets/perms. At Carsten I was doing highlights and cuts on clients everyday, so when I came out of school, I was much more experienced than other graduates.

My fellow classmates went on to be assistants at big name places like Fekkai, Rita Hazaan, Cutler, etc...If you feel you are young enough and patient enough to do this, you will most likely be an assistant for 2-3 years. Hours will be long, you will get yelled at, but you will be making amazing tips ($20 a shampoo), and if you last you will be making serious money and respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

second career in Baldwin, New York

54 months ago

my reply continued:

For me, it was a little different. I was 27 when I finished school (a little older to get in the game, everyone in my class was around 21), and I was done living and working in the city and having completely insane hours. I felt if I was an assistant for 3 years, I'd be 30 by the time I got on the floor, the time I want to have kids. I moved out to the beach in LI and started assisting in an extremely highend place, but proved myself quickly b/c I was older/more experienced and got on the floor in 4 months. I stayed at that salon for a year but wasn't happy, so am now somewhere new. It's really annoying to switch salons b/c you lose your clients and have to start from scratch, which means no money and sitting for most of the day, but it's only been two months and I'm already getting referrals, and things are getting better everyday. It usually takes a year to start building a following, so don't hop around. Money is not great, and there's no benefits, but I love it. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Janie Lee in Louisville, Kentucky

54 months ago

I am going to cosmetology school in a few months. i plan on pursuing a career in doing hair but i would like to know if i would be making enough money to earn an independent living. advice please?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

i would like to know how much hours i would be working everyday as a hair dresser. i don't really wanna work all day if you know what i mean. lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

im going to cosmetology school simply because i have no interest in any other career. and no matter what, the demand for hair stylists will remain becuse people are always going to need their hair cut or styled. so this can be almost a guaranteed career after i get a license for it. i agree that college is the best outcome but i want to stick with something i know i have an interest in so i know i will be successful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

virgoedge in Atlanta, Georgia

54 months ago

Janie Lee, this is meant in all kindness. If you are not wanting to put in long hours, this is probably not the business for you. I have been a stylist since '95 and have worked in about every type of salon. When you are totally new to the biz, working long hours is a must. The typical salon opens at 10 am and you need to be there for the morning people. They there is usually a slow period between 12-2 but then the afternoon/evening rush starts. It is not uncommon to be at the salon working until 8-10 pm (or later!)and you need tobe there to develop the clients and make some money. So it is not unusual to be at the salon 10 hours a day. You may not be working the whole time as a new stylist, but you need to be there. And when you are not working, you are not earning.

And from a salon owners viewpoint, if you are not willing to pay your dues and be there for walk-ins and new clients, you are not seen as being motivated. Every stylist has had to do this in the beginning, and it will just depend on you how long it takes to build a clientel. If time goes by and the owner does not think you are really aggresively trying to build clients, they will put someone else in that chair who will. This may sound harsh, but it is the reality of business.

There will always be demand for stylists, but it is survival of the fittest. The best will always be busy and do well, the mediocher will usually end up changing careers. There are so many stylists now, there is no such thing as a guaranteed career. It depends 100% on the stylists talents and ability. Most ppl would rather wait 2 weeks to get in with someone they know is good, instead of seeing someone mediocher immediately. It is the nature of the beast.

Good luck to you if you decide to pursue it. But just know it is a very hard career and you absolutely have to love it to make it. There is no easy ride in the hair industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jayme in Granite City, Illinois

54 months ago

ashkaylin said: I have been a hairstylist for 23 years. It's a tricky business and very hard work if you want to make good money. Your paycheck depend on if someone cancels or keeps an appointment for that day or week. I have a daughter in college right now and one in high school. If she asked me about going to beauty school instead of college, I would tell her not to do it. I am burned out with hair right now, so I decided to take a break, but I don't have a backup now. If I had gone to college and decided on beauty school as a backup, I would be fine right now. Luckily, my husband makes pretty good money while I try to go back to school to get a degree at my age. So, I advice you honey, to stay in college and finish. You maybe tire of it, but you will look back on your decision in 20 years and be greatful. You can go to beauty school as a secondary choice later. I have back pain and developed allergies to the chemicals also. Good luck!

i could not agree more...ive been a stylist since 2005 and it just seems to be a constant struggle for me! ive been in a few different salons but it all seems to repeat itself...unreliable pay...no benefits...expensive to keep goin! :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

dartsmith in Charlotte, North Carolina

53 months ago

kila in Norfolk, Virginia said: im a hair stylist and first off you have to love being one in order to achieve. then you have to develop the confidence in order to build a cleintele. i love my job and i make enough to take care of myself, but i have the opportunity to advance even more everyday. you decide your paycheck as a hairstylist especially if you work for yourself and i suggest you do if you really want to expand financially but if you just want to live good and go home at the end of the day try a high end company once you have the skills which take some time

I am finishing up at The Aveda Institute and I love it. I have a college degree and finally decided to follow my heart and go to cosmetology school. I want to move to New York City upon graduation. I would love to do hair, and I understand this may be a pipe dream. I am no stranger to hard work and I am more than willing to put in long hours. My question is: Is it possible to work a second job (i.e., in a restaurant) in addition to the long hours being put in at the salon (assisting/apprenticing)? Do you work until 10pm every single day or can you get off in time to go work in a restaurant. I am not scared of being tired...I just want to know if it is possible to support oneself in NYC starting out? Anyone???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DeeDee in Brooklyn, New York

53 months ago

Sure you can.. I'm about to go to Aveda Institute... I grew up in NY my whole life..... I am also a passionate underground Club/Techno Producer and DJ. I am going to work in a spa, doing facials.....and also producing my tracks and spinning in various clubs in around NYC. These are both equal passions of mine. You can fit time into anything if you want to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

salon owner in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

52 months ago

jayme in Granite City, Illinois said:

Hello Jayme, Sorry to hear you are having such a struggle. It is very unfortunate in our industry that there are more unreliable, unaccountable salons out there.

To all who are struggling in this industry you do not have to.
I am a salon owner and would not run my business anything less than professional and reliable for our stylists to succeed. I hold myself accountable to their success. My business is not successful if they are not happy and motivated as a team. I have stylists that make enough to purchase their own home and they are single. No man to have to co-sign or help them finance. I am very proud of them and they have worked their butts off for it.
My function as an owner is just like a coach of a football or baseball team. Your team is only as good as your coach. If your coach isn't present, isn't there for guidance, isn't helping you be successful then you need to find a team that is.
I would look for a salon that is a PBA member. You can look up salons that are members here www.probeauty.org/sections/directory/ Distributors and manufactures are listed first so you will have to scroll down to see salon/spa members. They are in alphabetical order. I also encourage you to become an NCA member which is now a part of PBA. You will get a lot of help from both organizations. They have helped me more than I ever imagined. I would no longer have a salon if it were not for PBA (formerly known as TSA)Look for a salon that offers regular education & has an education fund. Try to find on that offers medical insurance. Yes there are many out there. I am one.

Finding a good salon is like dating.. visit each salon you are considering. Spend a full day in it & see if it fits

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

New student in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

What r some different jobs you can work at while in school. I am going to be attending Paul Mitchell's school here in Houston from 5 pm to 10 pm and I need to figure out how to make a decent living while in school. I am having trouble trying to figure out what job will fit my sch. and also enable me to continue my current lifestyle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jessie-whop in Houston, Texas

49 months ago

brittanyy521 in Utica, New York said: --screw that! if you love your job and you are GOOD at what you do, you will do FINE. i've been licensed for 2 yrs & only started building clientelle within the past yr and already have enough money for a down payment on a house & im 20 yrs old! everyone is different ; dont scare ppl away from something they want to do just because you're no good at it!

thank you soooo much for clearing that up brittanyy521. i have been stired away from doing hair my WHOLE life by my family. I taught myself how to braid by the age of 4yrs old and have been doing hair on the side my WHOLE LIFE. I NEVER had the courage to do hair full time and I am now 24yrs old and doing a job that i absolutely KNOW is not for me. If your heart is in what you do the rest (finacially) will take care of itself. Follow your heart!! I am taking my own advice and in the process of getting on at a chain salon just to build my clientale and still have benefits and a pay check. Once I put in my time there I plan to open my own hair salon. As far as benefits sweetie bluecross blueshield has plenty of plans for business owners. And retirement is as simple as going to the bank opening an IRA!! "Jobs" are great but for those of ius that have drive and passion we do not need a JOB to delegate our money. Trust me it can be done. Please listen to your heart. I dont know if I would suggest totally quitting school depending on how far along you are BUT maybe you can go part time and work at a chain salon and by the time you finish school you will have a decent clientale and a degree. Let me know if you have ANY questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jessie-whop in Houston, Texas

49 months ago

New student in Houston, Texas said: What r some different jobs you can work at while in school. I am going to be attending Paul Mitchell's school here in Houston from 5 pm to 10 pm and I need to figure out how to make a decent living while in school. I am having trouble trying to figure out what job will fit my sch. and also enable me to continue my current lifestyle.

not sure if you have any college course but substituting is great. if you dont want to go to work you dont have to answer the phone when the district calls. I worked at a bank for 3yrs. Bankers hours might be very beneficial for your school sched! hope this helped

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Lufkin, Texas

48 months ago

50 + in Forest Hills, New York said: Hey gals Im thinking of making a career change do you think a 50 year old can cut hair and not get discriminated againt because of her age??

Yes, I do I started doing hair when I was 39 I am 42 now....You can do it... I do...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jaigi

47 months ago

I have a simple question...what is the typical price for COSMO SCHOOL?? I am enrolled, I don't start untill a couple of weeks the tuition is like $$20,000, to me this seems expensive! Does it matter wht school you go to? Is the cirriculam the same? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jaigi

47 months ago

sorry I meant *curriculum* =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hairdresser in Hurst, Texas

47 months ago

My friend got her college degree and then went back and got her masters degree yet still can not find a full time job. She currently has settled for teaching part time at a junior college and has to live w/her parents to make ends meet after divorcing. She is 50!

I only went to one year of college then dropped out to become a hairdresser because I love doing hair and it was a shorter means to help put my former husband through school. That was 25 years ago and I only work 4 days a week...make my own hours and avg about 60,000 a year. If I worked more hours I could make more but that is my choice.

But the secret is you have to be able to love people and then have a passion for hair. Because if you lack the people or the passion you will not make money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jaigi

47 months ago

OK, so here is another question, DO you have to take the nail course?

I have NO interest in doing pedi's and mani's. I will, if that is what it takes...I just am not all that excited about it. I am very excited to learn how to cut, color, hair, and I LOVE doing peoples makeup!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Candace in Richmond, Virginia

46 months ago

ashley in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: Its not easy trust me. Most people hop from one place to another. Then when you find it the pay isn't that great either. One way I've been making some extra money to pay for bills is to do surveys and offers at [comment edited by forum moderator] They are one of the ones that isn't a scam. Its a little boring but you can actually make enough money to pay for a few of your bills without putting very much time in. I still love doing hair and thats what keeps me going.

What is the name of the thing you do to make extra money? It wouldn't post it. email me back with the info at candy_boo_2000@yahoo.com Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

yessenia22q

45 months ago

omg THANK YOU!!!verry much...
u helped me so much,im just going to
start school & her comment was scarring me
=]]
i appreciate it<3

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

yessenia22q

45 months ago

THANK YOU VERRY MUCH,
her comment was actually
scarring me away from going
to school.
ur right every one is diff.
<3

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

maia in Sarasota, Florida said: Wow yall must be doing hair in North Dakota! lol here in Florida there is a lot of money to be made.

i need to move to florida ha! :) where i live everyone wants to b a stylist and the industry here is flooded. ive never made great money..but i also started out booth rental :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

I cant remember who responded to one of my post think it was britney idk. anywAY my point was i AM very good at hair makeup the works but it has been super challenging where i live to make it just doing hair.i am a single mother and have supported my daughter who is now 4 but it has been a struggle the whole time. Hairstylist are just not in huge demand here lets face it. i mean.. all it takes is going to one hair show in to realized THERES A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO R TRYING TO DO THIS. when i hear a young girl say shes gunna drop out of college to go to cosmetology..my response is NO!its just an atomatic response!SORRY. i have learned through my own experience and through what stylist who have been in this industry for 20 plus years have said.its freakin hard. are there a few who luck out and do great where they r the first two years...i have no doubt!! but from my experience (2005 to now) You have to get lucky where u go when u get out of school. if u go to a busy salon w/ walk-ins and call ins then YES u will build if youre good but if u choose an appointment only salon where there r very few walkins and call ins u just screwed yourself. just my opinion thought thAT was what this forum was for?? if anything i said made someone really think about it IM HAPPY. im a helpful person and a very caring one..just dont want n e one going through what i have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

yessenia22q in Kenmore, Washington

45 months ago

Thats good,i still appreciate her comment because
everyone is different..even though yeah u may
be right but everyone can turn their hopes
into reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

janethomas in Lake Havasu City, Arizona

44 months ago

stay in college- do not become a hairdresser. There is no retirement, job status or money in hairstyling. You stand all day with your arms up in the air entertaining people. You are too tired at night to function socially.

Finish your college degree so you can socialize with your peers in a respectiful manner which requires you to be respected as a professional.. That AINT GONNA happen in a salon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

50 + in Forest Hills, New York said: Hey gals Im thinking of making a career change do you think a 50 year old can cut hair and not get discriminated againt because of her age??

No, you will be treated unfairly. I am using 30 years of expreience, not just guessing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

sad but true :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

jayme in Granite City, Illinois said: i could not agree more...ive been a stylist since 2005 and it just seems to be a constant struggle for me! ive been in a few different salons but it all seems to repeat itself...unreliable pay...no benefits...expensive to keep goin! :(

its an EXTREMELY tough job in that aspect :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

i know in Happy Valley, Newfoundland said: yeah.....there may be alot of money to be made in hairstyling...but the problem there is, is you have to take the time to make a name for yourself....and that does not happen over night! that big amount of money that is out there...is going to those who have been in business for a very long time and if you ask any hairstylist out there they will tell you the same as i am.....its not as glamorous as it looks. take your time...find something that makes you happy....and yet pays well. something that will build you a comfortable birds nest when its time to retire!

120% AGREE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sarah in Denver, North Carolina

43 months ago

I am a senior in high school, and have decided i want to do hair. Im probably going to go to the paul mitchell school in charlotte, its a 10 month program, and they like guarantee your first job and its an awesome program. Living in charlotte nc, which is a big city, i think i will do very well. Im so in love with all the glam, the hair, the makeup, everything and i know i will struggle with business in the beginning but i plan to open my own salon in a big city and do very well. what do ya think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Jamaica, New York

43 months ago

I went to the Carsten Aveda Institute in Manhattan, NY. It is THE best school in NYC because you get real clients that want haircuts, highlights, and haircuts almost every day after your 3rd month in the program. Afterwords, you can assist in a Manhattan salon which means working all day with hardly any break. You learn a lot and it can be fun. You make minimum wage and tips. It is hard though but manageable. You can expect to assist from anywhere from 1 year to 2 years before you are allowed to work with a client as all your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DeeBabie in Brooklyn, New York

43 months ago

Ummmm NO. Actually the BEST school in NYC is Aveda Institute. I am now almost done, soon graduating. But at first, I had visited both schools. Carsten is not the real Aveda Institute, it jocks us. Most people who get kicked out of my school because their grades fall, usually transfer to Carsten. We also take clients in school...and we do it in our 2nd month. We have tons of projects as well, we take trips to other cities, conventions, we go to hair shows, we do editorial work that our school represents us in for models, and a lot more than that. Aveda Institute is the most famous and prestigious beauty school in NYC, and widely respected. Carsten is 2nd pick since they follow the original. Also, the staff at Carsten couldn't COMPARE to the professionalism at Aveda. Half the staff at Carsten doesn't spean English, only Spanish. The other half is rude, only wants your money and doesn't assist you with any concerns or questions. Just would never go there unless my grades dropped and I got kicked out of Aveda.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Jamaica, New York

42 months ago

I only speak english and the staff at Carsten absolutely speaks english. Why would you lie? I just am giving my honest opinion of what I have observed and experienced and am not here to bash any one's opinion.

Are you taking paying clients in your 2nd month? I took "clients" in my 2nd month too, but we actually called them models since they weren't paying. As students we had to demonstrate our competancy on models that we recruited before we are assign paying clients. Since both of our schools have the same levels of instruction Intro, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and then State Boards or as you stated our school "jocks" yours, I find it hard to believe you were assigned paying clients in your 2nd month of school. During Alpha is when we submit photos of our models in order to go to the next level Beta where you can receive clients.

Anyways, I may have posted my original reply in the wrong discussion because I could have sworn someone asked about the school I went to. Sorry for being off topic. I just feel like I was attacked for no reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DeeBabie in Brooklyn, New York

42 months ago

No I just think you're giving false information for saying that Carsten is the BEST beauty school in NYC when that's so not true. Obviously they're cheaper than the real Aveda...but when you graduate, it's the name "AVEDA" that stands out to employers....not Carsten. Yes we took MODELS in Alpha, but we even started taking Models in Intro already...so by Alpha 2, yes we take on clients. Beta we already know what we're doing but they teach us razor techniques and some more stuff and that's about it. Our schools also a lot busier than Carsten....I've had friends that went to Carsten and sometimes didn't even have a client...there was never a time in Aveda where I didn't have a client. At times I would do 4 or 5 a day. Yes it's more expensive, but it's the best at it's game, especially when you're in a tough ballgame like NYC. We even got to meet Horst Rechelbacher which is the Owner of Aveda...he came here. And at Carsten, the admissions guy speaks with a funny spanish accent, he looked money hungry. He wouldn't even listen to my questions because as soon as I asked him something, he nodded his head and proceeded to talk about the money process. The financial aid lady also was spanish, and didn't have the same professionalism the FAFSA office does at Aveda. She was texting on her cell phone the whole time I was there. Also, even the TEACHER was Spanish....Forgot her name already. It was like Miss Gloria or something. Basically, the school can never step up top notch to the professionalism and busy chaotic atmosphere Aveda gets...plus it's in Soho...also helps it's in one of the cutest areas of NYC.

That's my take.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.