Can I make a decent living being a hairstylist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 94)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

ashley in Wesley Chapel, Florida

71 months ago

Its not easy trust me. Most people hop from one place to another. Then when you find it the pay isn't that great either. One way I've been making some extra money to pay for bills is to do surveys and offers at [comment edited by forum moderator] They are one of the ones that isn't a scam. Its a little boring but you can actually make enough money to pay for a few of your bills without putting very much time in. I still love doing hair and thats what keeps me going.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (62) Reply - Report abuse

Daniella G in Brooklyn, New York

70 months ago

haha. I'm also from Brooklyn, NY... in the SAME problem as this chick...Yeah I'm half way through Collge too...thinkin about droppin it to go be a hair stylist...THE BEST school in NY btw, is Paul Mitchell Academy which is in Staten Island, and of course I have questions to as far as the income goes and how i'll be without training wheels once I graduate....but I've been talented with hair & make-up since the age of 13....I always had a passion for it anyway.... I just hope I can make a living out of it....not expecting anything crazy....I'd be happy with enough to live decently....but you guys think it's tough to find a job right after you come out of cosmetology school in NYC ????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

people...again in Cedar Park, Texas

67 months ago

kendallll. in Cedar Park, Texas said: yes you can. dont listen to her. it doesnt matter how old you are, besides, people will think you have been doing it for a long time because of your age and come to you because they will think that you really do know what your doing, dont let her scare you away

ssupp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

kendallll. in Cedar Park, Texas

67 months ago

oh nothing. you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

people...again in Cedar Park, Texas

67 months ago

bored in this class playin some spider solitare

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

kendallll. in Cedar Park, Texas

67 months ago

same same, took you long enough

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

hairstylist in Asheville, North Carolina

67 months ago

ashley in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: Its not easy trust me. Most people hop from one place to another. Then when you find it the pay isn't that great either. One way I've been making some extra money to pay for bills is to do surveys and offers at [comment edited by forum moderator] They are one of the ones that isn't a scam. Its a little boring but you can actually make enough money to pay for a few of your bills without putting very much time in. I still love doing hair and thats what keeps me going.

Whats [comment edited by forum moderator] that? How do you get to do that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

jaigi

56 months ago

OK, so here is another question, DO you have to take the nail course?

I have NO interest in doing pedi's and mani's. I will, if that is what it takes...I just am not all that excited about it. I am very excited to learn how to cut, color, hair, and I LOVE doing peoples makeup!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Candace in Richmond, Virginia

56 months ago

ashley in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: Its not easy trust me. Most people hop from one place to another. Then when you find it the pay isn't that great either. One way I've been making some extra money to pay for bills is to do surveys and offers at [comment edited by forum moderator] They are one of the ones that isn't a scam. Its a little boring but you can actually make enough money to pay for a few of your bills without putting very much time in. I still love doing hair and thats what keeps me going.

What is the name of the thing you do to make extra money? It wouldn't post it. email me back with the info at candy_boo_2000@yahoo.com Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

yessenia22q

54 months ago

omg THANK YOU!!!verry much...
u helped me so much,im just going to
start school & her comment was scarring me
=]]
i appreciate it<3

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

yessenia22q

54 months ago

THANK YOU VERRY MUCH,
her comment was actually
scarring me away from going
to school.
ur right every one is diff.
<3

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jayme in Granite City, Illinois

54 months ago

maia in Sarasota, Florida said: Wow yall must be doing hair in North Dakota! lol here in Florida there is a lot of money to be made.

i need to move to florida ha! :) where i live everyone wants to b a stylist and the industry here is flooded. ive never made great money..but i also started out booth rental :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I cant remember who responded to one of my post think it was britney idk. anywAY my point was i AM very good at hair makeup the works but it has been super challenging where i live to make it just doing hair.i am a single mother and have supported my daughter who is now 4 but it has been a struggle the whole time. Hairstylist are just not in huge demand here lets face it. i mean.. all it takes is going to one hair show in to realized THERES A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO R TRYING TO DO THIS. when i hear a young girl say shes gunna drop out of college to go to cosmetology..my response is NO!its just an atomatic response!SORRY. i have learned through my own experience and through what stylist who have been in this industry for 20 plus years have said.its freakin hard. are there a few who luck out and do great where they r the first two years...i have no doubt!! but from my experience (2005 to now) You have to get lucky where u go when u get out of school. if u go to a busy salon w/ walk-ins and call ins then YES u will build if youre good but if u choose an appointment only salon where there r very few walkins and call ins u just screwed yourself. just my opinion thought thAT was what this forum was for?? if anything i said made someone really think about it IM HAPPY. im a helpful person and a very caring one..just dont want n e one going through what i have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

yessenia22q in Kenmore, Washington

54 months ago

Thats good,i still appreciate her comment because
everyone is different..even though yeah u may
be right but everyone can turn their hopes
into reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

janethomas in Lake Havasu City, Arizona

53 months ago

stay in college- do not become a hairdresser. There is no retirement, job status or money in hairstyling. You stand all day with your arms up in the air entertaining people. You are too tired at night to function socially.

Finish your college degree so you can socialize with your peers in a respectiful manner which requires you to be respected as a professional.. That AINT GONNA happen in a salon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

50 + in Forest Hills, New York said: Hey gals Im thinking of making a career change do you think a 50 year old can cut hair and not get discriminated againt because of her age??

No, you will be treated unfairly. I am using 30 years of expreience, not just guessing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

sad but true :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

jayme in Granite City, Illinois said: i could not agree more...ive been a stylist since 2005 and it just seems to be a constant struggle for me! ive been in a few different salons but it all seems to repeat itself...unreliable pay...no benefits...expensive to keep goin! :(

its an EXTREMELY tough job in that aspect :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

i know in Happy Valley, Newfoundland said: yeah.....there may be alot of money to be made in hairstyling...but the problem there is, is you have to take the time to make a name for yourself....and that does not happen over night! that big amount of money that is out there...is going to those who have been in business for a very long time and if you ask any hairstylist out there they will tell you the same as i am.....its not as glamorous as it looks. take your time...find something that makes you happy....and yet pays well. something that will build you a comfortable birds nest when its time to retire!

120% AGREE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sarah in Denver, North Carolina

52 months ago

I am a senior in high school, and have decided i want to do hair. Im probably going to go to the paul mitchell school in charlotte, its a 10 month program, and they like guarantee your first job and its an awesome program. Living in charlotte nc, which is a big city, i think i will do very well. Im so in love with all the glam, the hair, the makeup, everything and i know i will struggle with business in the beginning but i plan to open my own salon in a big city and do very well. what do ya think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Jamaica, New York

52 months ago

I went to the Carsten Aveda Institute in Manhattan, NY. It is THE best school in NYC because you get real clients that want haircuts, highlights, and haircuts almost every day after your 3rd month in the program. Afterwords, you can assist in a Manhattan salon which means working all day with hardly any break. You learn a lot and it can be fun. You make minimum wage and tips. It is hard though but manageable. You can expect to assist from anywhere from 1 year to 2 years before you are allowed to work with a client as all your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DeeBabie in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

Ummmm NO. Actually the BEST school in NYC is Aveda Institute. I am now almost done, soon graduating. But at first, I had visited both schools. Carsten is not the real Aveda Institute, it jocks us. Most people who get kicked out of my school because their grades fall, usually transfer to Carsten. We also take clients in school...and we do it in our 2nd month. We have tons of projects as well, we take trips to other cities, conventions, we go to hair shows, we do editorial work that our school represents us in for models, and a lot more than that. Aveda Institute is the most famous and prestigious beauty school in NYC, and widely respected. Carsten is 2nd pick since they follow the original. Also, the staff at Carsten couldn't COMPARE to the professionalism at Aveda. Half the staff at Carsten doesn't spean English, only Spanish. The other half is rude, only wants your money and doesn't assist you with any concerns or questions. Just would never go there unless my grades dropped and I got kicked out of Aveda.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

I only speak english and the staff at Carsten absolutely speaks english. Why would you lie? I just am giving my honest opinion of what I have observed and experienced and am not here to bash any one's opinion.

Are you taking paying clients in your 2nd month? I took "clients" in my 2nd month too, but we actually called them models since they weren't paying. As students we had to demonstrate our competancy on models that we recruited before we are assign paying clients. Since both of our schools have the same levels of instruction Intro, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and then State Boards or as you stated our school "jocks" yours, I find it hard to believe you were assigned paying clients in your 2nd month of school. During Alpha is when we submit photos of our models in order to go to the next level Beta where you can receive clients.

Anyways, I may have posted my original reply in the wrong discussion because I could have sworn someone asked about the school I went to. Sorry for being off topic. I just feel like I was attacked for no reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DeeBabie in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

No I just think you're giving false information for saying that Carsten is the BEST beauty school in NYC when that's so not true. Obviously they're cheaper than the real Aveda...but when you graduate, it's the name "AVEDA" that stands out to employers....not Carsten. Yes we took MODELS in Alpha, but we even started taking Models in Intro already...so by Alpha 2, yes we take on clients. Beta we already know what we're doing but they teach us razor techniques and some more stuff and that's about it. Our schools also a lot busier than Carsten....I've had friends that went to Carsten and sometimes didn't even have a client...there was never a time in Aveda where I didn't have a client. At times I would do 4 or 5 a day. Yes it's more expensive, but it's the best at it's game, especially when you're in a tough ballgame like NYC. We even got to meet Horst Rechelbacher which is the Owner of Aveda...he came here. And at Carsten, the admissions guy speaks with a funny spanish accent, he looked money hungry. He wouldn't even listen to my questions because as soon as I asked him something, he nodded his head and proceeded to talk about the money process. The financial aid lady also was spanish, and didn't have the same professionalism the FAFSA office does at Aveda. She was texting on her cell phone the whole time I was there. Also, even the TEACHER was Spanish....Forgot her name already. It was like Miss Gloria or something. Basically, the school can never step up top notch to the professionalism and busy chaotic atmosphere Aveda gets...plus it's in Soho...also helps it's in one of the cutest areas of NYC.

That's my take.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Dear DeeBabie,

You're school sounds great, and I'm glad you enjoyed your experience there as much as I enjoyed my experience at the school I attended, however, I would not have chosen it for myself even with the $4,000 discount they offered me.

Since you know it all, you will obviously have an amazing career being that hairdressing is so easy for you to master :)

You also seem like you work well with others as long as they don't have "funny" accents; I'm sure you'll do very well in NYC ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

health/fitness/beauty pro in Little Elm, Texas

52 months ago

You should check out Vonaby.com They have a lot of ways beauty pros can promote their business and make money while you do it. It's in beta right now but I'm sure you can sign up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

It can be a rough world for a racist in NYC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

coiffeuse

52 months ago

Here's what worked for me. I rented a booth in a salon. I went to 28th Street to buy most of my hair products in bulk. I found a wholesale color supplier for Wella and bought my hair coloring products. I created a flyer for free services for women like, precision cuts, extensions, and eyebrow threading. I went to the mall, public schools in the mornings and handed out flyers. I also posted the free services on craigslist. The clients brought their own styling and shampoo products. I gave each client a relaxing scalp massage when shampooing and gave them advice on how to care for there hair @ home. My 2nd week 20% of the free clients returned and paid for there services. My 3rd week 25% of them returned. Then I started a referral program giving clients a free eyebrow wax or threading service. 7 months post graduation I had a $1,700 weekly gross profit. Now I am @ $2,200 weekly gross profit and I've been out of school for 2 yrs. My advice is buy all the cutting and coloring dvds you can. Go on websites like behind the chair and scissor boy for free hair tutorials by professional stylist. Go to salons with your friends and family and watch the stylist. Once you get comfortable financially, find a wholesale supplier for hair products to sell to your client. You will see a 30% increase in your income. Learn all about extension techniques and offer those services. They can generate 20% more income for you. Also before you graduate school be sure you have mastered hair cutting and texturizing, color application, color correction, and be sure to practice every moment to enhance your speed. Clients become loyal to their stylist for these reasons... The stylist listens to them, makes them feel comfortable by keeping their hair out of their face, not wetting their back while shampooing,not burning the scalp while blow drying, the stylist is pleasant and gentle with their hair, The stylist gives them advice on how to recreate the style @ home etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Your comment was very inspiring. I assist in a commission based salon right now and wish I was brave to do what you did. Most times when I look at what's available as far as booth rental and they always mention you have to have a following. How did you get around that when you're just out of school and don't have one yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Your comment was very inspiring. I assist in a commission based salon right now and wish I was brave to do what you did. Most times when I look at what's available as far as booth rental and they always mention you have to have a following. How did you get around that when you're just out of school and don't have one yet.

coiffeuse

52 months ago

Lauren in Jamaica, New York said: Your comment was very inspiring. I assist in a commission based salon right now and wish I was brave to do what you did. Most times when I look at what's available as far as booth rental and they always mention you have to have a following. How did you get around that when you're just out of school and don't have one yet.

I had no clientele. I paid my booth rental and just built up my clientele from handing out the flyers for free services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

virgoedge in Atlanta, Georgia said: Janie Lee, this is meant in all kindness. If you are not wanting to put in long hours, this is probably not the business for you. I have been a stylist since '95 and have worked in about every type of salon. When you are totally new to the biz, working long hours is a must. The typical salon opens at 10 am and you need to be there for the morning people. They there is usually a slow period between 12-2 but then the afternoon/evening rush starts. It is not uncommon to be at the salon working until 8-10 pm (or later!)and you need tobe there to develop the clients and make some money. So it is not unusual to be at the salon 10 hours a day. You may not be working the whole time as a new stylist, but you need to be there. And when you are not working, you are not earning.

And from a salon owners viewpoint, if you are not willing to pay your dues and be there for walk-ins and new clients, you are not seen as being motivated. Every stylist has had to do this in the beginning, and it will just depend on you how long it takes to build a clientel. If time goes by and the owner does not think you are really aggresively trying to build clients, they will put someone else in that chair who will. This may sound harsh, but it is the reality of business.

There will always be demand for stylists, but it is survival of the fittest. The best will always be busy and do well, the mediocher will usually end up changing careers. There are so many stylists now, there is no such thing as a guaranteed career. It depends 100% on the stylists talents and ability. Most ppl would rather wait 2 weeks to get in with someone they know is good, instead of seeing someone mediocher immediately. It is the nature of the beast.

Good luck to you if you decide to pursue it. But just know it is a very hard career and you absolutely have to love it to make it. There is no easy ride in the hair industry.

I 100,000,000 % AGREE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ava marie in Toms River, New Jersey

51 months ago

I have to add my opinion because some of you are right and some are wrong. EVERY THING right now is hard to get into but i think the advantage of hair styling as oppose to any other career is UP to u for ur money. If u want to succeed and be the BEST you have to work hard and take it seriously but if your not going to do that it will not benefit you in any way.. I chose hair styling simply because i am a go getter. I don't stop until i know that i am completely satisfied in what i am doing and how good i am doing. i went to college for ONE semester and said to myself what am i going for? when i really LOVE beauty fashion and photography and i knew that if i love all of that my only choice right now is hair stylist.. and you can do so much with a licenses. and i think its a great job with a family, ( if you want your own salon). I cant wait to finish! GOODLUCK EVERYONE :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Keiko in Mililani, Hawaii

46 months ago

NYC girl in Brooklyn, New York said: I'm halfway through college. Thinking about leaving college and going to school to be a hairdresser. Can someone tell me what the process is to become a hairdresser in NYC? If I go to Carsten School located in Manhattan, which is an 8 month program, what happens next? How much can I expect to make the first few years? I would think that there are no paid benefits at the majority of the salons. If this is true, how do people pay for their health insurance, retirement? Do you receive any paid vacation or sick days? Thanks very much in advance for your responses.

I have been doing hair for 12 years. you can make good money but you have to work hard for it. It is a "service" Customer service skills, technical skills, sales skills and constantly getting new education. It is like exersize the more you put in the more you get back . when you first start out you will hardly make anything , but onceyou build clients it becomes easier. The plan is not to move around . start off at a corporation , such as Regis so that you can have the medical benefits and training you need to advance . Staying in one location will build you devoted clients . If you change salons alot , you will almost have to start over from scratch to build your business and even if your working for a company you are your own business. so research into the salon you want . ask questions about pay . you want commision and you want it to be at least 40-45 % starting out . Not hourly . youdo have to purchase your own tools most of the time but that is better because you will have tools that you like that are best for you . Good Luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

tiffany clay in Harvey, Illinois

44 months ago

girl you do not know what you talking about yes your going to pay evreything in life ant free of esay to get you have to work for it look i am 15 years old wishing i had the job you have rite now i have been doing hair since i was 9 i cant wait to get a shop be greatfie for what you got and pay them bills

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Meriden, Connecticut

44 months ago

I have been working since 1982 and with the same group of girls for almost 30 years. This industry is very cut throat and when I say no benifits I mean NONE! The pay is unrealiable and nothing for retirement, Can't stand on your own 2 feet. I love my clients,but lets face it they cancel,go off to college,pass away, move, ect. With this econemy its ver hard to make new ones,noone is spending like they used to. I work at a high end salon,am a master designer,constintley taking classes and am very good at my job. Stay in college, maybe use this as a little part time job. It is not the money making job they tell you it is,you will break your back for 50% if youlucky,no clients no pay,no sick days nada. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pondering Beauty School in Searcy, Arkansas

44 months ago

I have always been a creative person. I paint and draw. I taught myself how to braid at a yound age and then to french braid as a teenager. Recently taught myself how to plait braid aka fish braid. I love doing funky hairstyles.. The situation Im in is Ive finished 2 years at a community college only to be able to get medical reception jobs and its not for me. I cant afford to go on to a 4yr University. So, Im considering going to beauty school bc I like the idea I can make my own hours and basically work for myself. I Dressing trendy is a plus too.
I found this website interesting and I think I will go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amyfan1994 in New Rochelle, New York

43 months ago

If you want to make GOOD money as a cosmetologist, look into the science of cosmetology college programs AFTER going to cos school because you can be the lazy person on weekends naming nail polish colors & making hundreds upon thousands of dollars. I have a cosmetology teacher that owns an entire estate of town houses, has a MASSIVE clientel (she said she charges an easy $500 for highlights on hair) & teaches for the first half of the day.
She makes alot of money because she doesn't work at a salon, AND SHE GETS 401K BENEFITS for working as a field cosmetology "scientist".
She is in her 50's & she's had her license for 35 years. She's an amazing woman.

However, if you want to work as a hairstylist at a salon that 99.99% of the time will pay about $10 an hour (minus tips)with NO benefits, don't pay me any mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jasmine in San Antonio, Texas

42 months ago

hairdresser is its hard makeing a live as a hairdresser?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

emcie0515 in Portland, Oregon

42 months ago

Mind if i ask what the survey company is? i am a student and would love to make some pocket money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

elan in Roanoke, Virginia

42 months ago

kila in Norfolk, Virginia said: yes there is paid vacation and health insurance and investment plans in most chain salons

I agree..with comments that caution you. It is a hard job on your feet with little time off. Competition is great, pay goes up and down depending, no benefits or insurance and at the end of the day the owner of the salon goes home with the money. I hold three licenses one is cosmetology and I wouldn't do it again. If you want a future..go for nursing..They are in constant demand, you have many options, a choice of cities that want you and if you like you can become an medical esthetician giving injections and laser treatments for a physician..and here's the point~ WITH benefits and a salary you can count on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Salon Owner in Ohio in Cleveland, Ohio

42 months ago

There are salons out there that offer insurance, benefits and 401K. Just depends on your area and the type of salon you are working for. There are salon owners that believe in giving back and growing their own. Look for salons that belong to large associations like the PBA (Professional Beauty Association. They are salons that uphold good values, good ethics, and network with other like minded salon owners. There are smaller salons and larger salons within this association. If you contact them they can help you with who may be in your area.

In any career you will need to work hard... be it nursing or hairstyling.

Follow your heart and your passion with whatever career you choose. Find your own happiness. It is out there =)

XO
A Salon Owner that does care =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

joey-phila in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

second career in Baldwin, New York said: I went to Carsten and finished two years ago, I started in the night program and then switched to the day. I was actually a teacher and everyone thinks I"m crazy to give up all those benefits, but I've always wanted to do hair, and I truly do love it.

Here's the lowdown:
Carsten is the best school to go to in NYC. You don't appreciate it while you're in it, but in most schools you barely get to work on human heads, and if you do, it's just roller sets/perms. At Carsten I was doing highlights and cuts on clients everyday, so when I came out of school, I was much more experienced than other graduates.

My fellow classmates went on to be assistants at big name places like Fekkai, Rita Hazaan, Cutler, etc...If you feel you are young enough and patient enough to do this, you will most likely be an assistant for 2-3 years. Hours will be long, you will get yelled at, but you will be making amazing tips ($20 a shampoo), and if you last you will be making serious money and respect.

Hey all, So i am 27 with some college credits. I keep taking classes and dropping. I have an eye for fashion and hair, so i think i Might be attending Jean Madaline hair school. My question to you is, do you think I will live comfortably and gain experience here in Philly and then move elsewhere like NYC. I do have a friend that offer me a chair right after i graduate the program. Also, the tution is very high, 17,600 + 1000 for kit....reasonable? They seem like the best school to go to. I also thought, you get paid an hourly wage + tips in some saloons.? No benefits anywhere? don't people move up to management and make ntips?

Salon Owner in Ohio in Cleveland, Ohio

42 months ago

joey-phila in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hey all, So i am 27 with some college credits. I keep taking classes and dropping. I have an eye for fashion and hair, so i think i Might be attending Jean Madaline hair school. My question to you is, do you think I will live comfortably and gain experience here in Philly and then move elsewhere like NYC. I do have a friend that offer me a chair right after i graduate the program. Also, the tution is very high, 17,600 + 1000 for kit....reasonable? They seem like the best school to go to. I also thought, you get paid an hourly wage + tips in some saloons.? No benefits anywhere? don't people move up to management and make ntips?

Joey,

I have a friend that owns a salon in Philly. She is incredible. Guest Artist with me many years ago. She also has won NAHA awards for her photography fashion work. Her salon in Follicle Studio. Francesca is great she can help you in your area. It is always good to have a local mentor =)

XOXO
Salon Owner that Cares

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aaarista in New York, New York

41 months ago

how much does it cost to go to school in nyc to become a hairdresser ? i'd like to learn about hair coloring, cutting, styling, exntensions, etc. and how long does it take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessie in Woodbridge, Virginia

40 months ago

I make over 100k a year doing hair. I love what I do and have worked hard to earn a good living. There is a lot of money to be made in the hair industry but you need talent and a realization that it is also a business to do really well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Jacksonville, North Carolina

40 months ago

I was ion a salon for 6 years and was making $60,000. If I had stayed long it would probably have increased. Cuts about $50-55, color $70-125. It can be done but if you're a "salon hopper" you wont see much money out of the career. Also, education to set you aside from other stylists and to be well informed on your craft.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

ABR36965 in New York, New York

40 months ago

could you tell me how much are classes? How long does schooling take to become a hairdresser, colorist (both?), esthician? I live in new york city but I can commute to nj if cheaper. Also which schools are good, which to stay away from?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AnthonyStyle in Stamford, Connecticut

40 months ago

There are a million opportunities in the cosmetology field! I am a stylist in an upbeat salon in southern westchester in NY. I have been there 5 years and I make over 50k and that is not including tips! I must agree with some of the people, if you do not love it, it shows. You really have to feel what you are doing and you can create anything. I wouldn't change my job for anything. Did I mention that I only work 4 days a week? Did I mention that I only work 5 hours a day? so 50k for 20 hours a week? I am not complaining!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.