Help on building a clientele

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 62)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

SheriC in Orange Park, Florida

58 months ago

Sara Cavin in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I just received my cosmetology license and am currently working in a salon as an assistant. Does anyone have any good advice on how to bring in clients. I need to be able to show the salon owner that I can market myself. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

I've written several bits of info on building clientele under How much do hair stylists make article and another topic on this site. I've only written in the last two months under SheriC in Orange Park or Fleming Island. Please, for your sake, go read what I've written. If you post an email address, I will write you personally, too. I've done hair for 30 years and don't any longer professionally at this time, but do have a salon in my home and will always do hair to some extent. I even do my own and you'd never know it. I forgot about that! :) I got tired of people not even cutting my hair right and my boss said one day, why don't you just try to do it yourself... and you know what? I did, and I've been none for the worse since. Every blue moon, I'll get somone to do my hair, but it's been over 10 years since it's been a blue moon around here. I've very fine hair and it's easy to wipe me out of bangs or make me look butch and not many hair dressers care enough. How about that???? I DO CARE. That's why I'm here and took the time to write on this board. To coach and encourage newbies that want to make a decent life in this business. You can. Just believe in yourself. Get to know people. And treat them with the utmost respect. Every last one of them.

To start with, assist for at least six months and watch and learn from everyone. During this six months you are primarily BUILDING YOUR BUSINESS REPUTATION WITH CLIENTS AS FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL. Do not hesitate to get drinks or help any client. You are also building your work reputation and ethics by being STUDIOUS and RESPECTFUL by GLEANING THE BEST TECHNIQUES OF WHAT TO DO AND WHAT NOT TO DO from everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (92) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

Sara Cavin in Scottsdale, Arizona

57 months ago

Thanks for your great advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Sara Cavin in Scottsdale, Arizona

57 months ago

The interview is pretty much the same as if you were a seasoned stylist. You are there to sell yourself and one way of doing that is to dress appropriately. Hair and makeup done up, clothes fashionable but not party mode. What I found when interviewing salons is you are interviewing them as well as them interviewing you. The interview process will tell you whether that is the salon for you. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mile in Skopje, Macedonia

55 months ago

Hi im a hairdresser for 6 years now
currently im working on a cruise line as hairdresser for 2 years.
I love my job and im pretty good in it because im pick up client pretty well no mater where i am.

but im from Macedonia so i was wondering if anyone know what is the easiest way to get a job in USA as hairdresser ,because im holder on a tourist visa only ,but i dont mind to work for less money while the things are sorted.

thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mile in Skopje, Macedonia

55 months ago

megan haggerty in petaluma, California said: so i rent a station, i have been doing hair for about 7 months professionaly at this salon. I am the youngest styalist and struggle to build my clientell, i have to compete with a gal who has 25 years expeirience and she is still trying to build up her clientell, i have tried everything from flyers to passing out 30% off first service for new clients, with times getting harder im worried that i will have to end up leaving the salon im at because i cannot afford to pay rent, on top of this i work 2 other jobs to make ends meet and sometimes i have to pull from those paychecks in order to affoard rent? any suggestions?

remember this megan : one satisfied customer bring you 3 new customers'
but one unsatisfied teals to 10 not to come.

so the best marketing tools are your clients.try to give your best from taking their coat till saying them buy and the chain will start to go bigger and bigger.

dont get disappointed because is a slow going thing.In average you need at 6 months just to stand on your feet and you need to know that so you gonna encourage your self.
so your head up, try to learn as much as you can,have patience ant it will come to you.
wish u all the best

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

SheriC in Fleming Island, Florida

55 months ago

Mile in Skopje, Macedonia said: Hi im a hairdresser for 6 years now
currently im working on a cruise line as hairdresser for 2 years.
I love my job and im pretty good in it because im pick up client pretty well no mater where i am.

but im from Macedonia so i was wondering if anyone know what is the easiest way to get a job in USA as hairdresser ,because im holder on a tourist visa only ,but i dont mind to work for less money while the things are sorted.

thanks in advance

To my knowledge, there is no reciprocity with other countries unilaterally for doing hair. Licenses are by state. Check out which state you want to live in and apply for a cosmetologist or hair stylist state license there. You may have to go to school in that state, or they may an opportunity for reciprocity; but I doubt it. I strongly suspect that you will have to completely start the process over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Salon Owner in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

54 months ago

Sherri,

I would love to network more with you, off this site.... Are you on FB or may I have your email address?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RonA in Palos Hills, Illinois

53 months ago

Ivelin in Sofia, Bulgaria said: see that site: www.scottsdalehair.com/
That's someone that gets it.. :) And would be your only real competitior in the search engines rankings. We can easily beat her if that's not you of course;P

I'd like some information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ME in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

53 months ago

SheriC in Fleming Island, Florida said:
hair.majesty@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Irving, Texas

49 months ago

Ivelin in Sofia, Bulgaria said: All good advice but..
I can help you get more clients online. Did you know that hundreds of people are looking for "scottsdale hair salon" in google every month. I am a search engine optimization expert and help local businesses get more exposure online. I can build you and rank a website for so that you appear in the top 3 results when someone's searching that. I'm not trying to hard sell you :) just to show you another opportunity..

if you don't believe me go to:
adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
and type "scottsdale hair salon" .This is a tool that google provides to check how many searches each term gets each month just on google.com There are other search engines but 70% of searchers come from google..

Anyway let me know if you would be interested in a service like this. I am currently looking for new clients to help them with their businesses.

Good luck with yours!:)

can I get your email address? You can contact me at topaz8080@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jo in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

I have been working in an upscale salon for the last 2 years and I am still not confident at formulating hair color. I don't have the money for advance classes. Is the anything that I could do or read that might help me understand color better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

salon owner in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

48 months ago

email me at hair.majesty@yahoo.com I will help you :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jerrilyn, florida

43 months ago

jo in Los Angeles, California said: I have been working in an upscale salon for the last 2 years and I am still not confident at formulating hair color. I don't have the money for advance classes. Is the anything that I could do or read that might help me understand color better.

Go to the redken website they have many color formulations and explanations as to how they got it. If you're still unsure, contact Leah Hanson, by way of facebook, she is a redken educator and, she is amazing at explaining color! Also Sam villa, another redken artist has his own websites where you can go in and watch free classes'! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

samantha in Granada Hills, California

39 months ago

Yes I just used this service and it's been bringing me alot of new clients. The best part about it is that it's absolutely free! Here is the email address I have for the coordinator of program salonpromos@yahoo.com his name is Blas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

StephaniB in Birmingham, Alabama

39 months ago

Hi, I just started in a very small, lovely salon. I need ways to bring in
new clients. I've given flyers and cards, and this has helped. However I need more
strategies for new clientele. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mike in wilton manors, florida in Adrian, Michigan

37 months ago

I work for a large corporate owned chain of salons. I'm begining to build a good clientelle.. I'm also over 40 and this corporation is not an easy place to work.. first were paid only min wage and get no commission...they do offer a bonus...but make it very difficlut to get....and usualy I've never made more tha an extra dollar an hour when I have hit it....I realize the only way I will be avle to stay in this industry (wich I love) is to go on my own..... my qustion is what would be the best way to start making my clients aware of my intent while I begin to search for someplace I can either rent a chair open a very small shop... I intend to specialize in mens cuts and color as this is by far my strongest area and also 90% of my regular request clients are men..I realized last week when paid 450 for 2 weeks and was written up because I didn't sell enough 19 dollar hair cream that although fairly happy there and love my coworkes...that I will never be able to save for retirement or much of anything else...... sorry if this sounds depressing.... I'm asking for any reasonable ideas\suggetions .... I cannot afffoard to just leave it would have to be gradual... and ofcource if I'm found out I'm OUT! THANK YOU ALL

M IN WILTON MANORS.FL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Salon Owner in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

37 months ago

Mike,

Have you tried looking at another salon? Many times the chain salons only charge say $15 a haircut... if you were in a larger salon say one that charged $50 a haircut you would be making a lot more money. Plus larger salons offer education, benefits, and many offer retirement... IRA or 401K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stephshair in Brampton, Ontario

36 months ago

I was wondering if it would be possible if you could please send me that artical you mentioned in your comment ... I am a stylist and have been for over 6 Years now however i just changed salons and most of my clients have followed but i can feel the number that haven't

I feel like for every one that i lost i gained 2 more but its just a slower process at this place cause its in a not very good location.

If you could please send me that artical that would be greatly appreciated.

My email address is Hairloungandspa@hotmail.com

THANK YOU!!!

CJ in Forney, Texas

36 months ago

You can advertise on craigslist.org in the barter section - barter your services for something you need/want. Even if you don't end up with a lot of bartering options, you still get your name out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hairqueen06 in Jacksonville, North Carolina

33 months ago

Sara Cavin in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I just received my cosmetology license and am currently working in a salon as an assistant. Does anyone have any good advice on how to bring in clients. I need to be able to show the salon owner that I can market myself. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

hey my name is dana and i wanted to ask you a few questions if you have a chance please email me @ hairqueen06@yahoo.com thank you so much :)

thompson in Denver, Colorado

33 months ago

I have enjoyed all comments. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

loving_color in Cornwall, Ontario

33 months ago

I graduated from cosmetology school 2 months before my oldest daughter was born, in 2009. I went to work in a small salon in a small town when she was 9 months old. After only 2 months of being there, I found out I was pregnant again. My boss was great about it and this week I returned to work after being off a year with my youngest. I am trying to rebuild any clientele that I had already accumulated there but also realize that in the year I was off, they most likely found someone else. How do I draw people into this small town salon 15 to 20 minutes from the small city where I live? I am paid hourly so I don't have the freedom to offer discounts or deals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

watersrunwild@yahoo.com in Beaumont, Texas

33 months ago

Cami in Fort Worth, Texas said: What you need to do is know your weak areas ask questions, watch and learn all you can. Answer the phone and all new clients looking for a new stylist you get them in make sure you know what they want if u can't do it you learn before they get there..get on the computer lay u out a design for a flyer go to office max have them printed up and pass them out everywhere you go, offer special discounted specials and do a free head or two just so someone else can see their hair. I did it because i just moved here from Mississippi and I tell you my clientele is growing fast...I had to star over been in the bus. for 17yrs but no one knew me here and it is working for me..and first pray and believe God will open doors for you and give your hands and give u all the knowledge u need..

Would like more info on starting over . Kimberly AT watersrunwild@yahoo.com

33 months ago

stephshair in Brampton, Ontario said: I was wondering if it would be possible if you could please send me that artical you mentioned in your comment ... I am a stylist and have been for over 6 Years now however i just changed salons and most of my clients have followed but i can feel the number that haven't

I feel like for every one that i lost i gained 2 more but its just a slower process at this place cause its in a not very good location.

If you could please send me that artical that would be greatly appreciated.

My email address is Hairloungandspa@hotmail.com

THANK YOU!!!

ME to watersrunwild@yahoo.com Thanks

Blas in Tarzana, California

33 months ago

Hello my name is Blas I specialize in building clientele for high end salons all over Southern CA, Las Vegas NV, Scottsdale AZ, and soon to be Dallas TX in January 2012. I posted an ad maybe about a year ago about the FREE service I offer to help salons and independent stylists build there clientele. Lately I have been recieving numerous emails about how to get more clients in a salon in this terrible economy. so I thought I'd post another ad to inform more stylists of our program and how it may be very beneficial for some stylists. I'm partnered up with a company called Salon Save and we typically have 2-3 venues per week at Universities, trade shows and gyms to market the services our stylists have to offer. In a sense were kind of like a Group On except we don't take half of your money. We let you keep the full amount. In return the stylists that we work with have to be comfortable offering a couple free samples to intrigue the clients to try their services. We currently work with over 100 salons in 3 states and soon to be 4 states with Texas being added to our list. If your are a stylists starting out in a new city or just would like some more foot traffic. Please feel free to email me with any questions at
Blas@salonsave.com and I would be more than happy to explain how we can build your clientel base in a short period of time for FREE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Well let see what ya got! I dont mine doing a little sample work,thats what I do know to get people in. I'm game.

GlobaljetBusinessSolutions in Buenos Aires, Argentina

32 months ago

Three ways to make more money Sara
1# more clients
2# increase frequency of their visits
3# increase their Avg. Dollar spend

building a business is different most fail within first 6 years!
Step #1 Define why people should go to you. ASK THEM ask your competitions clients why they go to them. Define it and WRITE IT DOWN! BE SPECIFIC!!!
Step #2 Implement your special uniqueness into all areas of your business (you are your business, you can piggy-back on your boss)
Step #3 Build Your Million Dollar Roladex of your clients and BE DETAILED! you want to know how they like their eggs!
for step #4 and more detail on the others like how to leverage off your boss´s advertising to earn more mail me for a consultation@globaljet.me, Good waves and hair days! Raymond E Lee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

StefanieH in Dallas, Texas said: I've been a hairstyles for 16 years and four years ago i worked in a very unprofessional shop I moved to a shop where the atmosphere was wonderful but the rent was to high I was there a year and moved I found a wonder shop now but my clientele has almost disappeared because I've moved twice and the type of client I service has changed, and now I having to rebuild all over in this bad economy and need some advice how to rebuild because my business is really hurting.

Hi Stephanie, happy thanksgiving

Yes things are tough! I am currently assisting some other business owners develop their own mini economies, and extend an invitation to you to have an hour consult with me on your business. Chances are I won´t be able to work with you directly, but I am happy to show you some areas you may have overlooked that can generate you more business profits without spending anything additional on advertising. consultation@globaljet.me
Good waves and hair days
Raymond E Lee

32 months ago

GlobaljetBusinessSolutions in Buenos Aires, Argentina said: Hi Stephanie, happy thanksgiving

Yes things are tough! I am currently assisting some other business owners develop their own mini economies, and extend an invitation to you to have an hour consult with me on your business. Chances are I won´t be able to work with you directly, but I am happy to show you some areas you may have overlooked that can generate you more business profits without spending anything additional on advertising. consultation@globaljet.me
Good waves and hair days
Raymond E Lee

P.S. I just wanted to add that unless you have changed "who you are" you clientele needn´t deplete too much and they are still your number #1 asset but I can explain further when we speak, R

32 months ago

jo in Los Angeles, California said: I have been working in an upscale salon for the last 2 years and I am still not confident at formulating hair color. I don't have the money for advance classes. Is the anything that I could do or read that might help me understand color better.

Hi, you are lucky as rEDKEN have wonderful training phone them up!

Start with: What do I have? drwa a triangle roots at the base, mids and tips at the top, add notes like precoloured? condition, be detailed! What´s my undertone?
Draw another triangle beside it: What do you want to achieve?
Warm? (Right side of colour star) Cool? (left side of colour star)
If it is a really big piece of paper you can put your colour star in the middle. Now, take the numbers from this equation
1(1st triangle) + 1 = 2(what do I want to achieve) and replace them with letters from your colour star e.g Red-Yellow-Orange-Green-Violet-Blue

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mallory in Metairie, Louisiana

31 months ago

I can help you get more clients online. Did you know that hundreds of people are looking for "scottsdale hair salon" in google every month. I am a search engine optimization expert and help local businesses get more exposure online. I can build you and rank a website for so that you appear in the top 3 results when someone's searching that. I'm not trying to hard sell you :) just to show you another opportunity..

and type "scottsdale hair salon" .This is a tool that google provides to check how many searches each term gets each month just on google.com There are other search engines but 70% of searchers come from google..

Anyway let me know if you would be interested in a service like this. I am currently looking for new clients to help them with their businesses.

i am currently working in a salon and i have 1 month to prove myself and gain some clientelle. I am looking for ways to build up my clientelle, could you please help? thanks

Stephanie in Sacramento, California

31 months ago

Please email me about helping my work become one of the top three :)
Stephanie.davis0989@gmail.com

raymondelee in Buenos Aires, Argentina

31 months ago

Hi, just had a thought, this might help give you some ideas on where to start www.Tomaragua.com/clientbuilder/
Let me know how you get on..

MissJuliee in Interlaken, New York

31 months ago

I am currently working for a salon owner, it's just her and I. I started about a month ago so obviously I'm trying to stay positive.. however.. Money is important when you're trying to start a life. It's in a small town and i'm not excatly sure how to get people in here or even know i'm here. It would be nice if we could at least get the phone to ring.. I've messaged over 20 people on facebook giving them deals and such but haven't gotten ONE message back about it.. I'm tired of moving jobs all the time i want something that's going to stick.. someone help pleeease !!

juuless21@aim.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

raymondelee in Buenos Aires, Argentina

31 months ago

I am starting to wonder about the validity of a lot of these post..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NJW in Fresno, California

30 months ago

I've been doing hair for 8 years and I am currently booth renting. I am 29 years old and I used to have potential clients ask me how long have I been in the business. I put a stop to the questions by showcasing my work. I started taking pictures of my work. I have a portfolio on Facebook, Myspace, my website, and one at the shop for clients to look through. I continue my education by going to hair shows and I make sure my clients know about the new techniques I've learned. I also know that I can't survive on just hair cuts and color so I've learned many skills like hair extensions, eyelash extensions, natural hair, hair regrowth, skin care, etc. You have to be confident and be a master at what you do to gain and keep clientel. My clients tell me that they will follow me where ever I go. I take my appointments and keep my own book so that my clients can contact me no matter where I go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in West Covina, California

30 months ago

Check out www.hairstreet.com You can create your own web page and come up when a person looks for a hair stylist in their area. Don't miss out! Check Hair Street out!

Owner upscale Salon in Denver, Colorado

30 months ago

mike in wilton manors, florida in Adrian, Michigan said: I work for a large corporate owned chain of salons. I'm begining to build a good clientelle.. I'm also over 40 and this corporation is not an easy place to work.. first were paid only min wage and get no commission...they do offer a bonus...but make it very difficlut to get....and usualy I've never made more tha an extra dollar an hour when I have hit it....I realize the only way I will be avle to stay in this industry (wich I love) is to go on my own..... my qustion is what would be the best way to start making my clients aware of my intent while I begin to search for someplace I can either rent a chair open a very small shop... I intend to specialize in mens cuts and color as this is by far my strongest area and also 90% of my regular request clients are men... sorry if this sounds depressing.... I'm asking for any reasonable ideas\suggetions .... I cannot afffoard to just leave it would have to be gradual... and ofcource if I'm found out I'm OUT! THANK YOU
M IN WILTON MANORS.FL

GET OUT!! If the owner did not go over a financial goal or increase get out. Always write a resignation letter
outlining what you have learned and are thankfull for. Let them know due to finances you are seeking work elsewhere. Your goal is to own your own salon. Doesn't matter if you found a job yet or not. Make sure your resume is up to date and include a cover letter why you are great.. Write / talk / walk / and dress with confidence. Stand when introduced to someone that is interviewing you whether a banker, salon owner, or new client... Don't burn bridges. You can send out letters to your clients. Most employees get the names & address, I'm OK with it others are not... Can give out your cell ph # when you move. And yes most owners let you go the day you tell them so you can't tell your (their) clients. From now until you move WOW your clients. Keep them yours! Good luck. Be faithful to yourself!

Mary in Las Vegas, Nevada

30 months ago

Yes, I just runned across this by accident check it out www.TheBeautySalonbiz.com
is great, it has hel me a lot
good luck
Mary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sofie in Las Vegas, Nevada

30 months ago

megan haggerty in petaluma, California said: so i rent a station, i have been doing hair for about 7 months professionaly at this salon. I am the youngest styalist and struggle to build my clientell, i have to compete with a gal who has 25 years expeirience and she is still trying to build up her clientell, i have tried everything from flyers to passing out 30% off first service for new clients, with times getting harder im worried that i will have to end up leaving the salon im at because i cannot afford to pay rent, on top of this i work 2 other jobs to make ends meet and sometimes i have to pull from those paychecks in order to affoard rent? any suggestions?

Listen you're not alone, we've all tried the same thing over and over for decades trying to achieve monumental results, the unfortunate things is times have changes and old school methods of attracting new clients no longer work. You need to implement new strategies for the today world.
Check this out if you get a minute is free to look, I have learned so much
www.TheBeautySalonBiz.com
It as help me tremendously and as open my eyes.
thanks for reading

Sofie...

Ereasa Hamilton in Dallas, Texas

30 months ago

i just opened up my own salon, and are in the process of marketing and advestising..ive posted ads on facebook, beautybeautican.com, manta.com, myspace, google..its alot to do for free...if you know anyone who need booth, then refer them to me as well.first month free on booths..email reese81togo@yahoo,com

Ereasa Hamilton in Dallas, Texas

30 months ago

Don't worry, if you need a new salon to work to gain more money, then i have the job for you
Now hiring for Stylist, Nail Techs, and Barbers
contact me at reese81togo@yahoo.com for more info
first month free

hairismylife in Woodbridge, Virginia

29 months ago

Hi all!! Note: the above location is not my location. I have just recently been hired by a multicultural salon owner after 3 years of wanting to be hired by her. We get along great... their is no problems except me building a clientele. Im okay with knowing how to build as I have been in the industry for 8 years. Im okay with that. The problem is I feel as though if it doesn't work out here then I am moving out of state somewhere. I say that because I was looking for 3 years or more for a salon to work in around here and have been descriminated badly at other places of work around here. Yes its a small town but it has alot of traffic and a huge potential for me to grow, but permanently I do not plan on staying here. Should I just move? ...its alot of work to build a clientele and I don't have any money to move away but I would anyway if its the more sensible thing to do. And by the way I am in my hometown and even though it has never been good here except once for me ... and even tho i permanently dont want 2 saty here... it holds significence to me in the sense that I don't want to leave it here until it gets good. Should I just leave already?

schedulista in Seattle, Washington

29 months ago

For anyone interested in how to get their business to appear in Google's results, here's a blog entry about just that: www.iheartscheduling.com/blog/grow-your-business-google-local-search/

Depending on how much competition there is in your area, it may be possible to rank high when someone searches 'hair salon' in your city just by following the steps in that blog entry.

Marissa in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

Hi guys! I've been doing alternative hair and dread extensions for 12+ years, but finally got licensed in 2010 so I could legitimately charge for it. I was on the dean's list at a Paul Mitchell school, I do photoshoots as often as I can, I "do makeup" but I'm not a makeup artist. I have a few facial piercings and a drastically asymmetric cut that is always a fun funky color, and a couple tattoos. I'm specializing in color and styling, but I have just cutting clients as well, i have weird clients like me and "normal" clients that get natural highlights, and for some reason I actually like doing corrective colors. So here's my problem. Based on my looks and my personality, both my current clients and more importantly myself would definitely not fit in at a total upscale Beverly Hills salon, which is sad monetarily speaking. Based on the fact that I was doing things in school that my teachers couldn't always figure out how to do, I decided that if I assisted, it would only be for an awesome salon that I could learn from, not just any salon on the street. I take classes where I can, and I love working in the salon but would ideally covet a place in the film/tv 706 union or on photoshoots.

Anyway. I initially found a job at a salon on commission that was a trendy slightly funky place with a tattoo parlor in back, and it seemed like a great fit. Except then over the 3 months I was there I only had 2 new clients. And the owner bad mouthed me to them because she just didn't like me. We got evicted, though she swore for months we were closing for construction and would reopen in a few. I found a new salon thankfully, at booth rent. Based on what I was making on commission, every month I made enough to pay the rent. When the economy took a dive, the salon owner let me go to a daily rate with the same 24/7 accessibility. There is absolutely zero drama at my salon, no one takes it personally if clients decide to switch stylists for some reason. (continued in next post)

Brent in El Mirage, Arizona

28 months ago

Sorry, correction to previous post: www.scottsdalehairstylist.net

confused in Columbia, South Carolina

25 months ago

I am currently trying to decide if I should attend Cosmetology School because I am 27 years old out of the military with my husband still on active duty and I was in school for nursing but I have a year to wait for the next program start date. Hair was my first love but I got caught up in the hype about college so I went did not graduate, joined the military, got out to go back to school and now I have to wait. I can be finished with the cosmetology program in 9months but I have dont research about income and clientele and now I scared to waste money and then cant make any!! On top of that if my husband get stationed else where anytime soon I WILL be starting over building clientele. I really want to do it and I dont really have support because everyone wants me to be a nurse and although I will continue on when the program accepts me I want to squeeze in cosmetology! I have been telling myself I have to live for me and do what makes me happy but now its just a matter of actually being able to pay the bills after I finish with cosmetology! Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

angi in Los Angeles, California

25 months ago

Hii all I don't know where 2 live and ground myself here! I feel lost like where shuld I start 2 get back in the business???????

Cosmogrl26 in Fountain Valley, California

24 months ago

Hello,
I was reading your blog on helping build clientelle through a website. I was wondering how we could get that started. I have been doing hair for 5 years, and it seems business is a little slow right now. I want to be busy daily, not occasionaly. I would appreciate having some advise if possible. Please feel free to email me back. Thank you so much!

Katie in Houston, Texas

24 months ago

i have only been a hair stylist for about a year. I was working at a corporate store mainly doing haircuts and getting paid minimum wage as well. I now work in a full service salon, I'm not at all bad at what i do, and i think my customer service is average. but i have been here for about a month now and my clientele isnt built up like id like it. I NEED HELP! bills aren't going to pay themselves.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.