Which Cosmetology School to attend?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Lily in Santee, California

32 months ago

I am 29 years old and have always wanted to get into the beauty industry. Of course I was discouraged and pushed to go to traditional school. I attended college and graduated with a BSBA, but am not able to find a job, or at least one that pays more than $10 an hour while doing a job that 5 people used to do.

Anyway I am looking into getting into a cosmetology program, but am not sure whether to go to an expesive school like Paul Mitchell or a cheap ghetto school and pay a fraction of the price. I would be able to use my Husband's GI bill for the expensive school. Although I was also thinking of saving it in case I decided to go into a Master's degree program in thte future. I have read on here to go the cheapest school possible because all you learn is how to pass the test and learn your real skills on the job the first year. I do see a huge difference though in students who attend PM schools. The school is strict and very structured.
Right now I am finishing up my manicure training at the cheap school and they would allow me to transfer over 400 hours from a previous cosmetology school I atteded and my manicure hours. PM would not allow me to transfer any hours at all. I am not very impressed with their teaching though and have only learned from teaching myslef, since the teacher does not speak English at all. The cosmetology teacher does actually speak english and is a former teacher from Marinello, so it looks like this program might be a bit better.

So anyways just wanted some opinions please.
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Morgana in San Francisco, California

31 months ago

Don't go to PM or Aveda, too expensive. You have 400 hours already, you should credit them towards cosmetology school. After you finish it and get your license take CE. Another thing, tell you family and friends you will do their hair for free while you go to school. Save your money you will need it later. Believe me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in West Covina, California

31 months ago

Yes, a more expensive school may offer more structure, but most of your success comes from your own drive. How ever you get your hours our your license is up to you, but what you do once you have it determines your success. Once you have your license, invest in putting yourself on Hair Street. Take pictures of the work you are proud of, your best cuts/colors/extensions/braids/up do's, because you can put them on your page and clients can find you based on your location, specialties, pictures, and products you use. You can also use your hair street page as a resume for getting a job. Go to www.hairstreet.com/join to find out more

Morgana in San Francisco, California

31 months ago

Lisa in West Covina, California said: Yes, a more expensive school may offer more structure, but most of your success comes from your own drive. How ever you get your hours our your license is up to you, but what you do once you have it determines your success. Once you have your license, invest in putting yourself on Hair Street. Take pictures of the work you are proud of, your best cuts/colors/extensions/braids/up do's, because you can put them on your page and clients can find you based on your location, specialties, pictures, and products you use. You can also use your hair street page as a resume for getting a job. Go to www.hairstreet.com/join to find out more

I totally agree with you Lisa

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.