CAREER CHANGE TO HVAC?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 729)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Dmj in Houston, Texas

98 months ago

I'am a 35year old male about to make a career change from carpentry to HVAC,I would like to know is HVAC a good career or not? SERIOUS ANSWERS PLEASE,THANK YOU!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in El Cajon, California

97 months ago

Absolutely! HVAC is a great career to go into. I currently work in San Diego and have helped a company start a HVAC training program because the industry continues to lose their journeymen to retirement. The pay is excellent, in San Diego you can make from 13.00-18.00 in the first year. The sky is the limit after you have a few years of experience.
To cement the fact that HVAC is an excellent career choice, look around at everything that needs to be refrigerated (airplanes, buildings, refrigerated trucks, ships) as the climate changes and the summer gets longer, AC will become mandatory in more and more areas.
Not only can you make money with a company, you can also work on your own and take on projects after hours. All the HVAC techs I know easily bring in $80,000 a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (113) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in El Cajon, California

97 months ago

For us here in San Diego they have work all year long. Not only are you working on the A/C but you also work on the heating. The systems that were created 20+ years ago need to have techs come out and repair them frequently. Now they have new systems that have a computer. The benefit of the training is you will get experience on the old and the new systems.

There is such a shortage right now and the shortage will continue as more and more people retire from the field. Currently only 1 person is going into construction to every 5 that leave. The odds are in your favor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

New Commer in Washington, District of Columbia

97 months ago

Dmj in Houston, Texas said: How far can I go with HVAC? I was told you can get an ASSOCIATES DEGREE in HVAC,is that true? OR can I get A BACHLOR or MASTER'S DEGREE?

You can go with the certificate in HVAC or get the associate degree in HVAC with any of it you can't go wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Longview, Texas

93 months ago

Dmj in Houston, Texas said: I'am a 35year old male about to make a career change from carpentry to HVAC,I would like to know is HVAC a good career or not? SERIOUS ANSWERS PLEASE,THANK YOU!

If you like to crawl in attics at 150 degrees all summer and make no money in the winter, and put your family last... It's a Great Career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Al in Scottsdale, Arizona

93 months ago

Hvac is a good carreer chouce.Going to a 2 year college is a good idea the real clincher is when you go through a apprenticeship program thatn is sponsored by your local union,An HVAC occupation is goog because unions have made it so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Longview, Texas

92 months ago

Al in Scottsdale, Arizona said: Hvac is a good carreer chouce.Going to a 2 year college is a good idea the real clincher is when you go through a apprenticeship program thatn is sponsored by your local union,An HVAC occupation is goog because unions have made it so.

That's great if your in a union!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in United Kingdom

92 months ago

We are in the UK. My husband has 30+ yrs experience in the hvacr business mostly commercial and industrial A/C, chillers and gas and oil combustion too. We really want to relocate to the States through his work. We love Florida but is it "overdone" with technicians and should we look at other states. Any advise would be gratefully received. Thanks!!
I hope it works out for you Martin - never been to Houston but it must be good to make you move there!

Jenny, Sussex, UK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Houston, Texas

92 months ago

Is there a school in houston that can provide a short term extensive training before you can get your EPA cert. I am thinking of going 2yrs. for HVAC but if there is a shorter term that would be great. Please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Houston, Texas

91 months ago

Jeff in Houston, Texas said: Is there a school in houston that can provide a short term extensive training before you can get your EPA cert. I am thinking of going 2yrs. for HVAC but if there is a shorter term that would be great. Please help.

Go to www.sanjac.edu/9185.html and look under Technical Programs. There is a 16 week Certificate Program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ben in London, United Kingdom

91 months ago

Al in Scottsdale, Arizona said: Hvac is a good carreer chouce.Going to a 2 year college is a good idea the real clincher is when you go through a apprenticeship program thatn is sponsored by your local union,An HVAC occupation is goog because unions have made it so.

I am currently studying part-time in the second year of an HND in Building Services Engineering here in the UK (equivalent to an Associates degree in the US I think) and have been working as a Junior Mechanical Engineer for a large Building Services and general engineering consultancy for around 6 months. I may need to relocate to the US and would appreciate any further advice regarding courses, apprenticeships etc., preferably union run, available in the US, particularly the Bay Area or Chicago regions.

My wife is American so I should have no problems with the immigration requirements but I am interested to know how much job trusting and residency qualifications play a part in getting onto apprenticeships if you are from abroad. I went in for the engineering rather than HVAC service and maintenance route here because apprenticeships and technical courses are hard to come by, but I want to go for the practical side given this is available in the US. I am therefore also interested to know if having an engineering qualification, design and well grounded in theory, but not so practical, would be of help to me in the US. All advice and information is much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike

90 months ago

brian G in Wilmington, Delaware said: ive been in the hvac field now for about 10 years as a service technician. What i was wondering, what is the next step. What is a higher career move from this. Management, tech support? Any training needed for that? I dont want to be a tech all my life

I was a service tech for 15 years, developed my skills in customer relations, and went into sales for 1 year, then became service manager of a good size contractor. I left that (long story), now manage mechanical maintenance (HVAC, Bldgs. & Grounds) for a university, which is the best job I've ever had.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike

90 months ago

Jenny in United Kingdom said: We are in the UK. My husband has 30+ yrs experience in the hvacr business mostly commercial and industrial A/C, chillers and gas and oil combustion too. We really want to relocate to the States through his work. We love Florida but is it "overdone" with technicians and should we look at other states. Any advise would be gratefully received. Thanks!!
I hope it works out for you Martin - never been to Houston but it must be good to make you move there!

Jenny, Sussex, UK

Check out Madison Wisconsin. Every contractor here is seeking top notch service people. Steamfitters Union is easy to get into and strong here. Scale is $32/hr. plus benefits. Good quality of life too.
Trane, Johnson Controls and other large shops are good to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John White in Houston, Texas

90 months ago

Jenny,

Madison, Wisconsin is a good recommendation if you like the cooler weather and snow. The northern portion of the country has on average better wages and benefits than the south where I am from mostly due to unions.

However if you prefer the warmer weather although you won't get much work with gas and oil fired boilers/ heaters etc you will more than make up for it with cooling in both residential and commercial systems. A field service technician with one of the major chiller companies would be a good job and pay well. If interested I would research them on line and perhaps have a job or at least an interview when you arrive stateside. Let them tell you where they need techs and then ask people here in this site about that area or research it yourself on line. Good luck! I am full blooded English 3rd generation from England myself.

John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in United Kingdom

90 months ago

John,

Many thanks for your useful tips - will definitely follow up - sent off for info. on Wisconsin already! Glad you're proud of your heritage - bet you got an American accent though!!!

Jenny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in United Kingdom

90 months ago

Thanks Mike for sending that through to us re. Madison.

Jenny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in San Diego, California

89 months ago

Im in San Diego and am going to be taking classes to get my HVAC certificate. I am just coming out of the military where I have mechanical experience, but nothing close to HVAC/R. Is there any way to get a job while I'm getting my certificate? I would raly apprecate any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jim

89 months ago

HVAC is a good career but you are never home,you are on call for emergencies,I worked in New York city for 20 years yes you will make 20.00-33.00 hr. but now in north carolina the pay is really bad to many mexicans ruining the field they pay between 13.00-18.00hr not worth it for me not to kill yourself .your knees are the first to go.I did it all service tech for 14 years then duct design,layout and fabrication for 6 years. But after a whle your body cannot keep up you do get burnt out. I am looking to do a career change but not in hvac had enough...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Portland, Texas

89 months ago

Stephanie in El Cajon, California said: Absolutely! HVAC is a great career to go into. I currently work in San Diego and have helped a company start a HVAC training program because the industry continues to lose their journeymen to retirement. The pay is excellent, in San Diego you can make from 13.00-18.00 in the first year. The sky is the limit after you have a few years of experience.
To cement the fact that HVAC is an excellent career choice, look around at everything that needs to be refrigerated (airplanes, buildings, refrigerated trucks, ships) as the climate changes and the summer gets longer, AC will become mandatory in more and more areas.
Not only can you make money with a company, you can also work on your own and take on projects after hours. All the HVAC techs I know easily bring in $80,000 a year.

I am interested in this career. Are you a woman and how hard is the job?

Pat

john in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

There is nothing wrong with saving money but one cannot save time when it comes to education. Get the best training and then keep current by taking short seminars over the years. Learn all you can and strive to be the best. Good techs are sought after while average techs are a dime a dozen. If you are not in the field and can afford to, get an entry level position and get hands on while schooling after hours at a junior college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Jackson Heights, New York

88 months ago

I am also thinking of going into some HVAC related career but I will be doing a career change from accounting. I am 32, and already have a college degree and live in the Stamford CT area but willing to relocate.

How would I go about doing this?? Is it possible at this stage??

John in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

Might I ask why you want to change careers? Is it to get away from accounting or do you just want HVAC because you think you might like it? How much have you researched the HVAC field and what do you think you like about it?

I would imagine with a degree and by now you are doing fairly well salary wise in accounting. You won't start out at the top financially in HVAC, quite the opposite. After training it would take some years of experience to get top wages perhaps. You would undoubtedly have to hang on in accounting while training in HVAC and perhaps still a while while working part time in the field to get experience then make the jump.

Unless you just had to be in HVAC I'd say anyone changing fields today should consider any of the medical fields such as RN in two years, Rad Tech, Nuclear Med Tech two years and they all work inside in good environment and have more opportunity than imaginable. My wife changed fields to become an RN and by year two made $73,000. She did it at age 40 and English was her second language. Male nurses are in great need and do very well. Contrary to some peoples belief all male nurses are certainly not efeminate or gay. My brother in law is an RN here in Houston and made over $100,000 last year counting his overtime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MC in La Vernia, Texas

88 months ago

As a wife of an AC tech, be prepared for long night and early mornings. Be sure to prepare for slow months and prepare your family for the high demand of this industry. The money is good but you make a lot of sacrifices...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MS HVAC CHICAGO in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

Dmj in Houston, Texas said: I'am a 35year old male about to make a career change from carpentry to HVAC,I would like to know is HVAC a good career or not? SERIOUS ANSWERS PLEASE,THANK YOU!

HVAC IS ALWAYS AND WILL ALWAYS BE AN EXCELLENT WELL PAYING CAREER. GO FOR COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL. THAT'S WHERE THE MONEY AND BENEFITS ARE...BUT...YOU HAVE TO EARN IT...MUST GET DEGREE...MUST BE A NATURAL AT SELLING NEW EQUIPMENT...MUST DEVELOP A 'BUSINESS MIND'...IF YOU GET NATE QUALIFIED, THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER. If it's just too difficult for you to get qualified for commercial/industrial, you can still make it pretty big if you have the selling gift, the business mind and get NATE qualified. With commissions, some of my techs make more than the owner - TRUE! BEST WISHES!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Sean in Houston, Texas said: Go to www.sanjac.edu/9185.html and look under Technical Programs. There is a 16 week Certificate Program.

HEY JEFF -- NO PAIN, NO GAIN, BUDDY. LIFE'S A MARATHON, NOT A SPRINT. GET SERIOUS AND TRAIN HARD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Jenny in United Kingdom said: John,

Many thanks for your useful tips - will definitely follow up - sent off for info. on Wisconsin already! Glad you're proud of your heritage - bet you got an American accent though!!!

Jenny

HEY JENNY. I live in Illinois. WISCONSIN IS ONE OF THE FEW STATES THAT'S ACTUALLY GROWING. Good people, good schools, decent cost of living. I agree with John. Concentrate your efforts in Wisconsin. The prettiest area (but colder & snowier than Madison & Milwaukee) is nearer to Minneapolis, Minnesota (commute from Wisconsin side). And because it's so close to Minneapolis, job selection/pay are quite good. The area gets really rural north of Madision or Milwaukee. If you prefer city dwelling - where the job selection, money & benefits are much better - stay in the Milwaukee area (although the area surrounding Madison is prettier). Of course there's plenty of HVAC jobs (higher level) available in the Chicago Area. You'll like the Chicago area - everybody does. Forget the southern states. Generally speaking there aren't a lot of customers because they can't afford it. Don't go west, pollution, outrageious cost of living, schools are terrible, strange people. Except SEATTLE - EXCELLENT, BEAUTIFUL, TEPID, RAINY - just like home. The state of Washington (not to be confused with Washington D.C. - it is not a state) is reported to have the most highly educated people. If it weren't for the rain, I'd move there myself. If it weren't for the cold & snow of NW Wisconsin, I'd go there. The Chicago area is the best compromise. The only profitable area in the east is New York City - yuck. OWNING YOUR OWN BUSINESS: FORGET IT. You can make more money in a good company especially if you have a business mind & can sell. Companies kill for income generators. Too many excellent techs on their own diminish the overall quality of the industry, hurt the economy, and GOOD CUSTOMERS who deserve good techs are left wanting. BEST WISHES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

QUOTE who="John White in Houston, Texas"]Brian,

If you have the desire and drive a next good step would be to study the process for opening and running a small business and be an owner. Remember, I don't care how good a tech ytou are running the business is entirely different requiring a different set of skills. However, if you want a feeling of accomplishment and better living think about this idea.

John

DEAR BRIAN. I disagree with John about going into your own business. If you are a highly skilled tech who has a business mind and can sell, you can make more money in a good company and not have to have the headaches of owning your own business. Companies will kill for excellent money generators. If you love being a tech, you'll hate being an office boy. Because that's what a tech becomes when he chooses to open his own business. Furthermore, too many excellent techs on their own diminish the quality of the industry, hurt the economy, and GOOD CUSTOMERS who deserve good techs are left wanting. If you are an excellent tech/salesman you can absolutely write your own ticket JUST ABOUT anywhere. If you are an excellent tech/salesman and you are having trouble writing your own ticket, either you are delusionary or you need to relocate. No matter what anybody does or where in life they are, one must find the drive, determination and discipline to get what one wants. There's an overabundance of installers - what does that tell you!? Most young HVAC guys don't want to run the marathon of excellence. They don't seem to be interested in getting past 'installer' - and there's not even any SERIOUS money in being an installer. Personally, my problem is finding SKILLED technicians. And when I do find one, he's either unreliable, undisciplined or a lousy salesman. Immigrants are MOTIVATED, but they take too long to train. So if you think you can be happy as an office boy first and a tech second, be prepared to do it completely on your own. BEST WISHES.

MS HVAC in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

Nick in Jackson Heights, New York said: I am also thinking of going into some HVAC related career but I will be doing a career change from accounting. I am 32, and already have a college degree and live in the Stamford CT area but willing to relocate.

How would I go about doing this?? Is it possible at this stage??

Hi Nick: I've got 30 year olds working for me who just got into the HVAC business. But they've just been kicking around all through their 20s. Not you, though. If you have a strong back and don't mind working like a plow horse, HVAC is your game - even at 32. Problems: you have to go to school nights and weekends for a little while. You have to pass the EPA test. You have to get an entry level position which are a dime a dozen and pays under $15/hr. Serious money comes with technical experience (3 years) and the natural ability to sell - a lot. Accountants aren't known for their selling prowess, so think about that. You have to be very personable, determined, disciplined, self-motivated. A trade like this isn't only about technical skill. If I haven't disuaded you yet, then when you are interviewing for that entry level job, you aren't just going to be an amicable candidate. You have to let the boss know you really mean business. You have to convince him that you are absolutely trainable (most bosses know that by the time a person is 30, they are stuck in their ways and are difficult to train) and that you will give him 500% if he can convice you that he will be an excellent trainer. Many bosses don't think they have to be excellent trainers. But you know which job to fight for when you know which boss will fight for your future. Remember, they don't owe it to you. You owe it to them. Make it clear to a prospective boss that you are willing if he is willing. THEN do everything your boss tells you to do. Do it EXACTLY THE WAY he tells you to do it, immediately. BEST WISHES.

leah gill in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

87 months ago

Dmj in Houston, Texas said: Thank you Cynthia in Chicago Illinois your reply is greatly appreciated.)Now I have another question foryou Cynthia,hopefully you can help me with some good advice] Does HVAC work gets slow in the winter season?(2)If you had to choose a career change between HVAC or Engineer,which one would you choose?Question(3)Can I go higher in HVAC education,farther than a associate's degree,if so how far? PLEASE ANSWER WITH YOUR TRUE AND HONEST OPINION,I APPRECIATE IT.Don in Houston Tx
hvac-r is a excellent carrer field for any season/weather. not only do you deal with heating and cooling buildings but you can work on restraunt freezers, friers, and on car heaters and coolers. the heating and air world has jobs year round nomatter where you live or what the climate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hvac4u in Dallas, Texas

87 months ago

You can get an associate in either residential orcommercial, it is called associate in applied sciences , airconditioning and refrigeration technology.Then u can go on and get any engineering from mechanical to electrical . getting my assoc. from eastfield in mesquite tx.

Nick in Stamford, Connecticut

87 months ago

hvac4u in Dallas, Texas said: You can get an associate in either residential orcommercial, it is called associate in applied sciences , airconditioning and refrigeration technology.Then u can go on and get any engineering from mechanical to electrical . getting my assoc. from eastfield in mesquite tx.

But what if you ALREADY have a BA & MS degrees?? I was the one who posted as the Accountant who wanted to change to HVAC. I am unemployed for reasons I won't get into here & need to change careers. Seems illogical to go back for an associates and then have to explain these three degrees in a new field.

STEFON GRIFF in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

WELL I HAVE BEEN WORKING IN THE hvac FIELD AS A SERVICE TECH. NOW FOR 20 YEARS AND I CAN TELL YOU SOMETHING THE PAY FOR MY EXPERIENCE IS A DISGRACE.. THERE IS A SHORTAGE OF hvac PEOPLE THIS IS TRUE DUE TO THE FACT THAT MOST YOUNGER FOLKS GO TO COLLEGE, AND ACTUALLY DO NOT WANT TO WORK HARD ANYWAY AT LEAST THE ONES I HAVE SEEN, AND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN IS JUST AS PLAIN, EMPLOYERS DO NOTHING TO ATTRACT PEOPLE INTO THE TRADE.. THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL GET. LONG HOURS, CRAP PAY, LITTLE IF NO BENIFITS, NOT MENY VACATION DAYS, NO SICK DAYS, USE YOUR VACATION TIME FOR THIS, YOU WILL NOT BE PAID OVERTIME UNTIL YOU REACH 40 HOURS BUT YOU CAN BE SURE WHEN YOU WHERE WORKING ON THE WEEKEND OR AT NIGHT AFTER YOU JUST PUT IN A LONG LONG DAY YOU WILL BE PAID STRIGHT TIME.. BUT YOU CAN BE SURE YOUR EMPLOYER IS CHARGING THE OVERTIME RATE TO THE CUSTOMER.. YOUR JUST NOT GETTING IT. THIS NEVER SAT WELL WITH ME.
MOST COMPANIES ARE SMALL OR FAMILY RUN YOUR OPPERTUNITIES IN THESE SHOPS ARE LIMITED. IF YOU START AS A SERVICE TECH OR INSTALLER. YOU CAN BET YOUR BUTT 30 YEARS LATER (IF THE COMPANY IS STILL IN EXSISTENCE) YOU WILL BE IN THE SAME POSITION THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS YOUR 30 YEARS OLDER. IT GETS TO THE POINT WITH THE OVERTIME IT BENIFITS THE COMPANY MORE THEN IT DOES YOU WITH YOUR TAXES THE MORE YOU MAKE THE MORE THEY TAKE AND WHEN YOU SEE WHAT YOU HAVE LEFT IT JUST IS NOT WORTH IT. IF I HAD KNOWN THIS 20 YEARS AGO I WOULD HAVE GONE TO COLLEGE TO. BUT I GAVE IT A CHANCE RIGHT NOTHING HAPPENS OVERNIGHT, BUT AFTER 20 YEARS I CAN TELL YOU THE TRADE TOOK MORE THAN IT GAVE.
AS FOR UNION SHOPS THE PAY AND BENIFITS ARE MUCH BETTER OVERTIME AFTER 8 HOURS OVERTIME ON SATURDAYS AND TRIPEL TIME ON SUNDAYS AND HOLIDAYS. BUT GETTING INTO A UNION IS DIFFICULT BETTER KNOW SOMEONE.
OR YOU CAN OWN THE HVAC COMPANY THEN YOU MAKE MONEY BUT THIS TAKES TIME AND IT IS CUT5 THROAT.. THEN YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE CUSTOMERS GIVING YOU HEADACHS AND YOU WILL BE WORKING 24/365 THINK ABOUT IT FOLKS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jim

87 months ago

Amen you said it all, that is the truth I am in the same boat there is no respect for the trade I don't care what people say, plumbers and electricians make alot more than hvac techs. HVAC techs get no respect. In New york city union techs make about 33.an hour and electricians make 42 an hour, and thats union. so you can guess that private companies they think that 20.00 is alot of money. and now you have illegals (mexicans) ruining the bussiness they pay them less and there is no one to stop them. So after 21 years in the field I can say this wrong, I should have stayed in school and became a lawyer lol

stefon in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

jim said: Amen you said it all, that is the truth I am in the same boat there is no respect for the trade I don't care what people say, plumbers and electricians make alot more than hvac techs. HVAC techs get no respect. In New york city union techs make about 33.an hour and electricians make 42 an hour, and thats union. so you can guess that private companies they think that 20.00 is alot of money. and now you have illegals (mexicans) ruining the bussiness they pay them less and there is no one to stop them. So after 21 years in the field I can say this wrong, I should have stayed in school and became a lawyer lol

i know what you mean, but hell at my age now what am i going to do go back to school for 4 years or even two at night you will get hell if you miss your on call night to go to school, and once your outy in 5 to 8 years who will employ someone at 50 years old

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jim

87 months ago

If you are 50 maybe you can get a steady job with sears as a tech and you probably won't kill yourself and there is no on call with them. just stick to your guns as far as salary with sears they will try an b.s. you about salary,so watch them. but at least it is steady work .

Nick in Astoria, New York

87 months ago

hvac4u in Dallas, Texas said: You can get an associate in either residential orcommercial, it is called associate in applied sciences , airconditioning and refrigeration technology.Then u can go on and get any engineering from mechanical to electrical . getting my assoc. from eastfield in mesquite tx.

No one is going to hire someone with no experience in the field with just an associates degree unless they are one of these 'coveted' twenty something (aka the gen Y crowd) recent grads.

Actually acting professional, dressing decently and wearing clothes that fit properly and going that extra mile don't mean much these days anyway.

Getting a job is all about BS ing your way thru anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Astoria, New York

87 months ago

stefon in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: i know what you mean, but hell at my age now what am i going to do go back to school for 4 years or even two at night you will get hell if you miss your on call night to go to school, and once your outy in 5 to 8 years who will employ someone at 50 years old

No one will without experience. The 'schools' sell empty promises and false hopes. They have no incentive about helping you get a job only taking your money and selling you on false hope.

Don't waste your money, because you will be passed over in favor of some 19 year old with no experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

remajohn in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

yes, you may BS your way into a job but keeping it and progressing upwards takes knowledge and production. If you don't like HVAC try plumbing. These boys make money if they work. My 34 year old son in Huntsville, Al works for Roto Rooter as a master plumber and made over $128.000 year before last.

What I hear these older fellas saying is don't waste your life on something if it isn't working. Investigating it thoroughly before one starts can illiminate a lot of disappointment later. I know, I wasted 30 years on a wife that never grew up. Have courage and get out of the boat before it sinks.

87 months ago

did plumbing it tyo me was like HVAC except wet but as for the pay i think what actually bothers me is two points one i work nights and weekends and holidays but until i hit the magical 40 hours i am on straight time i am thinking i am missing time with my family and friends to drive around in the middle of the night for straight time but when i bill the customer you can bet your life company polocy is time and a half i just am not getting it and the other i have been a service tech for 20 years and my pay is 3 to 4 dollers more then someone right out of school that is not right either

and as for the boat well it sank a long time ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

i understand the education part i have an associates in HVACR and a BA degree in management but to return to school while your in the trade of HVAC is impossable because you work in the day and then when you have the ability to attend is in th evening and if your on call that night your screwed you boss doesn't want to hear you have school tonight, he will more than likely say if you cannot do it i will get someone else who will i have herd it and seen this happen over the past 20 years..so you end up missing classes assignments and failing out due to lack of attendence because of your work schedual.
als seen gues here take the NATE test and have all of the patches. and all of the company owners i have seen do not really care ..do not expect a raise from it. most case i have seen they will just expect more and pay you the same don't bother.

87 months ago

the sears techs in may area are bailing left and right the service manager is a woman with no experience and roughly 50% of their tech here are part-time

87 months ago

all i would like to tell folks thinking about entering the hvace field is THINK THINK THINK about it long and hard. but if you have the burning desire to do it then apply to the unions and let them train you. the money is better, and bennies as well. NEVER.! REPEAT NEVER WORK FOR A PRIVATE COMPANY after 20 years i can tell you the only thing that changes about them is the color of the van your driving and the name on the shirt. other than thatm, it is all the same. bad pay, bad hours, no or low benifits. no sick day. bad vacation time,no retirement plans,
But keep in mind your sweat and hard work and experience is to afford the person who owns the company a good life not you, you will never get anywhere working for anyone else unless you have a master degree from a university then you can have a comfortable life.

remajohn in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

Fella's, some of you sound like me 30 years ago, so sour and negative. It looks like a pity party for one's self and it is. I learned the hard way that pity goes no where and no one else cares so you end up pitiful and alone often. America is the greatest country in the world. Immigrants, legal or illegal prove it every day. They come with nothing and soon own businesses.Fear is a terrible thing fellas but if you don't let it overtake you it can be good at keeping you on your toes as you move forward.

There are more opportunities in America than Carter has little liver pills and the only thing that usually stops people from taking advantage of them is fear, laziness or not knowing how to research for opportunities. It's never too late. Colonial Sanders of KFC started at age 68 from door to door. Get help if you need to know how to research on line. Good Luck and God Bless! Life is worth the Living.

jim

87 months ago

unfortunately the tech managers from sears have to a degree of some sort to be a manager,witch is bad your best managers are ex technicians. the sonner sears figures that out the better they will be. I geuss that is why sears is going down hill,to much book knowledge and no practical sense.

Nick in Jackson Heights, New York

87 months ago

remajohn in Houston, Texas said: Fella's, some of you sound like me 30 years ago, so sour and negative. It looks like a pity party for one's self and it is. I learned the hard way that pity goes no where and no one else cares so you end up pitiful and alone often. America is the greatest country in the world. Immigrants, legal or illegal prove it every day. They come with nothing and soon own businesses.Fear is a terrible thing fellas but if you don't let it overtake you it can be good at keeping you on your toes as you move forward.

There are more opportunities in America than Carter has little liver pills and the only thing that usually stops people from taking advantage of them is fear, laziness or not knowing how to research for opportunities. It's never too late. Colonial Sanders of KFC started at age 68 from door to door. Get help if you need to know how to research on line. Good Luck and God Bless! Life is worth the Living.

Not these days. You can be a total nitwit, but as long as you are under 30, dress nice, look like you belong on reality TV and can talk the talk (BS) you will get hired.

Actual qualifications, hard work, & skill has gone out the window in place of this 'survivor' reality TV show behavior in the workplace.

And age discrimination runs rampant. Changing careers may look nice in theory but nearly impossible if you are older than 30 an already have a degree in something else.

87 months ago

well i think sears is on the same track as almost every company you need a college degree to be in a management position, i guess they feel actually knowing the type of company you manage is not inportent i have management degree but was never once offered a position in management but for the mom and pop companies you have no chance of advancement unless you marry into the family,
and your right on the low wage workers if these companies can get people to work legal or otherwise for low pay it is just a benifit for the company it lowers their overhead but also lowers the wages for everyone in the field, i am afraid it is just going to be another hit the trades in the future are going to have to accept.
as far as pitty goes i accept my choices good and bad i just want other people to hear the otherside of the coin because there are two sides, and perhaps they can get some insite into something that i did not get. we all learn from our mistakes but for a lot of use the truth comes to late, the HVAC profession could once again be a good one but it is going to take a very large change in the mind set of the general public, and yes of the company owners as well if you want good people you need to attract them and to attract them you need to offer them something other than bad wages ..benifits. and futures you can find that anywere a career is more difficult to find. and the argument of "We cannot afford it" doesn't was with me, one case in point would have to be one company i worked for said the samething but the owner owned two airplanes and a 600.000 dollar home..no wounder he cannot afford it, i cannot either. i worked in germany for 12 of the 20 years moving back to the states when my father took ill and i can tell you it is night and day between treatment of trades people in europe and here that i have seen i worked 35 hours a week, no nights weekends or holidays 30 days paid vacation first year 16 paid holidays and this was in the HVAC field

Bob in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

87 months ago

Do you want to be treated with respect and dignity? Go union!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jim

87 months ago

sorry pal there are no unions in north carolina

Bob in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

87 months ago

Yes there is bud, the UA is nationwide, it would take a little research on your part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

87 months ago

I stand corrected, the closest Local to you is Local 421 in Charleston South Carolina. I have worked Union for over 23 years and I would not work any other way. I am glad I had the opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.