Interior Design (study in taiwan and work in US)?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Victor in Hacienda Heights, California

57 months ago

Hello,

here is my situation. Im 25 yrs old and I graduated with dual major in marketing and international business 2 yrs ago. I personally is very interested in Interior Design. I will be going to Taiwan beginning of 2010 and stay there for 6 months. I am wondering:

1. I do not have the time and money to invest in a degree in the US so I am considering learning lessons from interior designer on a 1-on-1 base while I am in Taiwan. I will have full day dedicated in learning during my 6 months in there. But I am worrying about the fact that the different standards of the interior design field in Taiwan and the US. Concepts and some theories may be the same but I am concerning the cultural differences such as material selections, price negotiation and estimates that will prohibit me from landing an interior design job in here, any suggestion?

2. Will I be able to land an interior design job in here with a strong portfolio that I develop in Taiwan and learn the rest during work?

3. I will also likely be studying web and graphic design while I am in TW, compared them to Interior design, is it much easier to land a job in here since they are more related to my degree (marketing / internation business)?

any suggesion is appreciated

-Victor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kay in New York, New York

51 months ago

You can probably learn a lot being in Taiwan, in an international environment. However, I would suggest getting further education when you return to California because each state has regulations as to how you can get licensed.

By the way, you're starting interior design at 25? Me too, and I also double majored with marketing and business.

Let me know what you're up to now.

Mel in Inwood, New York

34 months ago

Kay in New York, New York said: You can probably learn a lot being in Taiwan, in an international environment. However, I would suggest getting further education when you return to California because each state has regulations as to how you can get licensed.

By the way, you're starting interior design at 25? Me too, and I also double majored with marketing and business.

Let me know what you're up to now.

Hi Kay, I am looking for an interior designer student who may be able to help me with my bedroom. Do you know anyone who may be interested in building their portfolios?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.