Becoming an independent repair jeweler

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Abbie Handford in Richmond, Virginia

69 months ago

I am looking to start my own business as a bench jeweler from home. I would like to start out doing basic and complex jewelry repairs with metals such as silver, gold, and platinum. I am wondering if anybody either does this or has done this and can give me some advice. I know all the technical side and none of the business side. Also I have never tried to get an account with a jewelry store and would love to know how that works. Any info would be great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mandingo in Washington, District of Columbia

64 months ago

Try asking this question at: www.ganoksin.com (a website where bench jewelers from the world over meet to discuss all kinds of related topics, and answer questions such as yours).

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

David Whipple in Los Angeles, California

63 months ago

Abbie Handford in Richmond, Virginia said: I am looking to start my own business as a bench jeweler from home. I would like to start out doing basic and complex jewelry repairs with metals such as silver, gold, and platinum. I am wondering if anybody either does this or has done this and can give me some advice. I know all the technical side and none of the business side. Also I have never tried to get an account with a jewelry store and would love to know how that works. Any info would be great!

A good place to start is with the "Gellar" hand book...it not only gives you pricing info but can also give tips to make it easier.....However, working on customer repairs is very difficult because they, the customer, can be very critical.....your work must be perfect, it is very risky work, if you are not a top notch "smith" this could be a disaster for you....I have been doing this for 40 years and I am very busy, but am also careful not to inherate other people's poor work,one mistake can make your life miserable.....carry insurance, the work is out there but you better know what you are doing......even with lots of experiance..it is challenging...David

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.