Finding Jobs That Will Hire People With a Felony.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1317)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Martisa Hunt in Rochester, Michigan

87 months ago

Hi severeal years ago i was in a domestic violence relationship and i ended up assaulting my assaulter and i
got in trouble for that I have a lot of
work experience in light industrial general labor machine operator assembly
sorting and housekeping supervisor,but
i cant find a job because everyone does
backround checks.I dont think that's
fair if you dont give people a chance
how will you ever know how good of a
worker you passed up.What should i do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (560) / No (78) Reply - Report abuse

christopher barnum in Port Huron, Michigan

85 months ago

believe me you are not alone i have been free and clear for 3yrs and have only managed to work 1yr to provide for my family of 4 try denny's resturauntthey say they check but they dont

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (209) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

calvin jiles in Terre Haute, Indiana

82 months ago

ive been clear on my felony convinction of posession of cocaine since the year of 2002 and realize i made a mistake in my younger years but feel like i been discrimated against because how do people not just myself supposed to provide for their families if the work force world always is holding something against us for something that is the past.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (248) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

boomer11 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

81 months ago

Good man looking for a good job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

arlenie in Old Bridge, New Jersey

80 months ago

What you have to do is build your own business, there are many places to start on the internet.

Look for a business you want to work in with the internet there are many business you can start for as little as 10.00 a month, it only takes you doing the work. I dont know anyone who is willing to do the hard work they need that has not been a success.

You just have to find what works for you.

I wish you all much success...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (109) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

millennium in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Love You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Tignall, Georgia

80 months ago

Trish said: You'll eat at a low class place like Denny's and have the nerve to say who should work there,

Well actually the guy has a point in that the only (ONLY, mind you)reason Denny's Restaurant exists is to please that guy - and thousands of others like him. The customer is the reason for any business. Without the customer being happy, the business will not exist for very long and if you advertise that you are hiring felons to work there it WILL turn off some customers.

Since most people in the US are of the same opinion as that fellow, it is possible that Denny's could lose enough business to actually cease to exist. You see there is a very good reason companies are willing to fork over about $25 dollars per employee to do drug tests and criminal background tests. If they don't, they lose assets and they lose customers.

No matter how much you disagree, there are not enough criminal minded people/supporters in the US to operate your own country and keep yourselves alive even if we gave you the western half of the country. You need honest people for your very existence.

To think otherwise is basic anarchy and that idea does not work either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (268) Reply - Report abuse

shelly in Providence, Rhode Island

80 months ago

My boyfriend has been free and clear for 10yrs. and no one will hire him for a job because of his criminal backround, what can he do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (329) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

MrMr. in Millington, Michigan

79 months ago

Yes I agree to that to an extent. But when your starving for money to eat and have shelter for yourself or your family some times in reality the ends DOES justify the means. Its real easy to be aloft, above being that way If your all secure in your comfort zone but when theres no comfort zone or anything else as a support you do what you have to do short of any type of crime and if thats means that you left some blanks or cooked the application by way of saying youwere selfemployed or what ever then so be it cause people are prejudice against x felons n they hold it against you if you open up and go round telling the truth. they say they are equal opp but soon as a pencil is missing whom do you think is gonna get looked at first?
Of course by human nature the x. So, sure its better to tell the truth but its even better not to go round telling on yourself. Besides Ive never had an employer come back on me for it. Cause what they really want is the bottom line a good and a hard working employee an when they see that (cause the proof is in the work) they have the attendency to not care about anything else, Rember employers are there to make money and you show them 101 percent loyality and that work comes first and if they have any decency in them nothing will be said. They say opions are like ***holes everybodys got one n ...well there is mine. Anyways good life n living to all good people an too all the rest ? Whatever... God bless them anyways.. just do right unto yoursels n others... but rember too that in reality the ends does justify the means some times

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Still working at it in Worcester, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

In this country, there are over one million people with felony records that are not still incarcerated. Included in this numbers are some of the most wealthiest people in the US. Martha Steward just to name one.

Give ex-felons the western half of the US and I beg to differ that it will thrive. Some of us are more educated about running a business than the people who stand up and believe that we can't thrive or work in or at a decent paying position.

I have a bachelors degree, I'm a graduate student studying marketing. In the end, I'll finish my education with an MBA, a Master of Science in Marketing and a bachelors degree in business administration. I'll be more qualified to head a company than most CEO's who run fortune 500/billion dollar companies. Hell, as it stands right now, I have more education than some of the richest men in the US, Bill Gates to name another.

I'm not going to comment on opinions of how worthless or how we should be left in prison because it is just that. My only goal in life is to prove people who think like this how wrong they are.

My felony record will keep me from working in most of these fortune 500/multi-billion dollar companies. That's reality. Nevertheless, my educational level and experiences in life will prove not what I'm missing but only what these companies are missing out on.

Finally, on the topic of discrimination, it has been around for years and will continue to be around for many more years. Nevertheless, it's not the goal to defeat what ignorant people think. It should be the goal to allow them to continue because in the end, it's what's you're worth that counts.

I may not be able to live in a gated community where every house looks the same, but what does it matter if I'm able to afford to buy a million dollar loft over looking the city!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (143) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Mr. Pennyselvania (sp)

Thankyou I know your right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

ThankYou Ladu D in Buffalo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

i agree with you, people that think convicted felons are not smart needs to know that the Best of them has been convicted, lets take Don King for an example, i said that to say this, i have 2 of the best College Degrees in the world, prison and the streets ,and i assure you i can hang with the Best of them!Know how to use the format of syste-matic that profile that Protecol into play,because you are a scientist doesnt make you smarter than me, you just had an interest in science i've been most places most think about going in a life-time, with my intellectual compacity to think independently. Havent punched a clock in 16 years, working on my 5th bussiness, and i have no regrets about the path that my life experienced!

Keep on striving to exale, and i will see you where life is the sweetest and the most luxurest!

To the one that has tap into the powers that be!

You have some one who have a degree in drugs/alcohol counselling, oppose to some-one that experience drugs for 30 plus years, most institutions will give the job to the one that has the degree, i would give the job to the one that has life experience in teaching the subject matter. Now you tell me whose the smartest?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Thanks Millen you are one of the examples that prove me right time an again about this subject

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

Thanks, you are one of the many reasons the crime rate never really goes down! America says you pay your debt to society for your mistake. Instead they run into jerks like you who make HYPOCRITES another name for Americans. I hope you never need someone to save your life or lend a hand--you never know, it just might be an ex-felon. If you don't offer them decent jobs; just what do you think they are going to do??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Michelle in Cleveland, Ohio said: Thanks, you are one of the many reasons the crime rate never really goes down! America says you pay your debt to society for your mistake. Instead they run into jerks like you who make HYPOCRITES another name for Americans. I hope you never need someone to save your life or lend a hand--you never know, it just might be an ex-felon. If you don't offer them decent jobs; just what do you think they are going to do??

Iam an x felon and I was agreeing with you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

you have my deepest apology Sir, if it was i that misconstrued you!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

johnathan duncan in Moreno Valley, California

79 months ago

befor i went to jail on jan26,o7 i was working at a home sercurity store for 8 months i am a really hard worker i am 21yrs old 1986 i have a car to get to work everyday my # 951 485 6694 thankyou

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

msladyme in Hamilton, Michigan

79 months ago

I think that it is very frustrating for someone coming out of prison and not able to find employment. Frustrating to the point that many people go right back to where they began their crime and before you know it, they are back in prison. My heart goes out to those who are not able to find employment to provide for their families.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (80) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida said: Shelly:
Some companies simply will not hire someone with a felony.
Others, it depends on the type of felony (if it's a violent one, for example.)

However, there may be other possibilities!

Can you tell me what his educational background? What kind of work is he looking for? Does he have experience?

That might help re: ideas as to where to look.

I'd be very interested in your ideas on where to look or at least what type of jobs to look for. I'm aware that being 'labeled violent offender' closes many doors--so what's left? It takes some young people longer than others to master their temper.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

It's people like yourself that I love, you keep that Blessing alive, because that is what the World needs, LOVE YOU, AND COLOR has nothing to do with it!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Candie M. Martin

79 months ago

Where can I send my resume?

arlenie in Old Bridge, New Jersey said: well my corporation will hire ya! you can be out of Yale or out of Jail, thank god you dont need any requirements to work for yourself in America.

We have full medical and dental and life Insurance, we even offer bonus from 1,000.00 to 1 Million dollars.

I would have to say if you really want to make it you gotta be willing to do what it takes. If that means starting your own business then you have got to be willing to get up and get going.

Just my own experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Dallas, Texas

79 months ago

msladyme in Hamilton, Michigan said: I think that it is very frustrating for someone coming out of prison and not able to find employment. Frustrating to the point that many people go right back to where they began their crime and before you know it, they are back in prison. My heart goes out to those who are not able to find employment to provide for their families.

How nice a comment you have stated. It is exactly this idea why companies like www.second-chance-employment.com have been started. It is so hard to get good work for those who have had past problems. It is no wonder the circle never ends. People need to learn to forgive, like Christ.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

GOD BLESS YOU GOOD PEOPLE< GOD BLESS YOUS in JESUS name through the HOLY Spirit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

79 months ago

Guide

Debbie in Dallas, Texas said: How nice a comment you have stated. It is exactly this idea why companies like www.second-chance-employment.com have been started. It is so hard to get good work for those who have had past problems. It is no wonder the circle never ends. People need to learn to forgive, like Christ.

Good that there is a site like that out there! Hope they can make it work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cj in Portland, Oregon

79 months ago

That would be a very wrong thing to do! Lying is never the way to achieve success. Take ownership for what you did and someone out there will respect you if YOU RESPECT YOURSELF!

MrMr. in Millington, Michigan said: dont tell people youve been convicted make up personal work history for time being locked up say you worked for yourself

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

cj in Portland, Oregon said: That would be a very wrong thing to do! Lying is never the way to achieve success. Take ownership for what you did and someone out there will respect you if YOU RESPECT YOURSELF!

And I dis agree w/ you in return cause people r prejudice against x felons so I have done what is necessary to ascertain a job cause when your hungry try eating your 100 percent honesty. You live in the pie in the sky come back down here to reality will ya/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Name Withheld in Detroit, Michigan

79 months ago

Martisa Hunt in Rochester, Michigan said: Hi severeal years ago i was in a domestic violence relationship and i ended up assaulting my assaulter and i

Start your own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Suzette in Denver, Colorado

79 months ago

When you hand in an application, ask to speak to the recruiter first (Tell them there is something you need to tell them about your application that is CONFIDENTIAL) OR if you can't, add a personal SEALED note with your application about the situation that you were protecting yourself. ANSWER the "charge" before they see it! Be proactive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Suzette in Denver, Colorado

79 months ago

Good information in Winterville, Georgia said: Thanks for the info. I will never spend another dime at Denny's. I sure don't want a criminal cooking my food.

Please let us all know if you folks get jobs at other businesses so we can avoid those as well.

YOU'RE the JERK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle Regan in Atchison, Kansas

79 months ago

Ok here is my issue my husband has been denied employment because he was charged with a felony for non-support, forget the fact that his Ex- forged his signature and used an old paystub to get the amount she was awarded and although he has paid well over what the amount should of been according to 7 different attorney's he was still arrested and charged and now has been fired from his previous employer because he is on probation for this felony we lost our health insurance the paycheck that helped pay the bills and the child support now no one will hire him people have no idea what this does to someone, he feels worthless how does he even attempt to take care of his respondsiblities how can someone get back up after getting kicked down so hard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in New York, New York

79 months ago

Martisa Hunt in Rochester, Michigan said: Hi severeal years ago i was in a domestic violence relationship and i ended up assaulting my assaulter and i

Just be honest on all applications - they are a potential employee's first test of a reliable employee.
also - can you get references, letters of recommendation from someone that you worked for previously or someone with whom you worked as part of your conviction (po, social worker, etc.)
You should have access to programs through the justice system. Also, check out women's organizations - call a women's shelter for example - and explain your situation and see if they can help refer you somewhere.
Don't give up. Many good people go through the system and prove to be very valuable employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Michelle Regan in Atchison, Kansas said: Ok here is my issue my husband has been denied employment because he was charged with a felony for non-support, forget the fact that his Ex- forged his signature and used an old paystub to get the amount she was awarded and although he has paid well over what the amount should of been according to 7 different attorney's he was still arrested and charged and now has been fired from his previous employer because he is on probation for this felony we lost our health insurance the paycheck that helped pay the bills and the child support now no one will hire him people have no idea what this does to someone, he feels worthless how does he even attempt to take care of his respondsiblities how can someone get back up after getting kicked down so hard

Im very much aware how bias against men the legal system is. The corropt run the show.
Im sad for you GOOD People just stay honest as you can and keep trying I hope and pray as I type this for all of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dia in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

I have a boyfriend that is currently serving out his time. He commited his crime last year and has since seen the error of his ways. Both he and I are afraid that when he is released in 3-6 months he won't be able to find a job. He has two felony5 in possesion. We have a son. I wanted to know how can I prevent him from going back into the streets when it will seem like his only option to making money and providing for his family? Who will give him that opportunity that he needed a year ago?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TK in Corona Del Mar, California

79 months ago

Good information in Winterville, Georgia said: Thanks for the info. I will never spend another dime at Denny's. I sure don't want a criminal cooking my food.

Please let us all know if you folks get jobs at other businesses so we can avoid those as well.

You are a disgusting human being. You obviously sterotype everyone. Bad things happen to good people. I realize our justice system is the best we have and I am thankful to live in a free country but it doesn't always work and innocent people or victimized people are sometimes caught up in the stupidity of our judicial system and their lives are changed forever for the worse. You are an idiot who obviously judges all situations without knowing the facts. It's people like you who convict innocent people. I hope you NEVER have the opportunity to be a juror! You have no compassion and no brains!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Thank you for your open-minded understanding and Love for the situations that occur in LIfe, when it is PURE from the heart, it makes a different. you are one of th e many that is one of a KIND!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Michelle Regan in Atchison, Kansas said: Ok here is my issue my husband has been denied employment because he was charged with a felony for non-support, forget the fact that his Ex- forged his signature and used an old paystub to get the amount she was awarded and although he has paid well over what the amount should of been according to 7 different attorney's he was still arrested and charged and now has been fired from his previous employer because he is on probation for this felony we lost our health insurance the paycheck that helped pay the bills and the child support now no one will hire him people have no idea what this does to someone, he feels worthless how does he even attempt to take care of his respondsiblities how can someone get back up after getting kicked down so hard

Simply create for your self, don't let no one dictate to you, you dont need the system, the system needs you, without you, there wouldnt be a system, we as a people put the system there, create for yourself. Theres a determination within you that wont just lay down, use it, dont feel angry, be angry and use that anger to Prove to them that cant nothing hold you down, Be strong, discover that will within and Handle your Business, you have a family, they needs you , Provide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Charlie in Tignall, Georgia said: Well actually the guy has a point in that the only (ONLY, mind you)reason Denny's Restaurant exists is to please that guy - and thousands of others like him. The customer is the reason for any business. Without the customer being happy, the business will not exist for very long and if you advertise that you are hiring felons to work there it WILL turn off some customers.

Since most people in the US are of the same opinion as that fellow, it is possible that Denny's could lose enough business to actually cease to exist. You see there is a very good reason companies are willing to fork over about $25 dollars per employee to do drug tests and criminal background tests. If they don't, they lose assets and they lose customers.

No matter how much you disagree, there are not enough criminal minded people/supporters in the US to operate your own country and keep yourselves alive even if we gave you the western half of the country. You need honest people for your very existence.

To think otherwise is basic anarchy and that idea does not work either.

YOU DONT ADVERTISE YOU ARE HIRING A FELON, YOU HIRE PEOPLE, LOOK AT OUR GOVERMENT, HOW THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW, AND WE PUT THEM THERE TO PROTECT, DID YOU KNOW THE OWNER WHO ESTABLISHED DENNYS DID TIME IN JAIL, YOU DONT KNOW THAT BECAUSE THEY NEVER TOLD YOU, GET MY DRIFT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

SCAMPPERSMOM in Lafayette, Indiana

78 months ago

you are RUDE, UNKIND, AND HOPEFULLY will starve to death. when a person has paid their debt to socity-it's over-done, leave them alone. I'm sure we could find a few bones in your closet to hold over your head. it's ignorant a---holes like you that cause more misery in life than helpping your fellow man. do the world a favor-DROP DEAD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

michelle in Cleveland, Ohio said: As a mother I totally empathize with you. My family has been down this road too! The most important things seem to be: Be supportive but don't let the fear of your ex-felon returning to his old ways turn into 'guilt' and set you up as a victim. The road of the ex-felon is difficult but he or she has to take responsibility and not drain the life out of family & friends by trying to financially rescue them over & over again. This only leads to you becoming the co-dependent/crutch. Encourage them to keep on the right path. You can't do it for them and you can't protect anyone from themselves...

Beautiful, very well said!!!!!!!!!! Much Love!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

To the ignorant wanna be a man in Winterville, Georgia.

Dude you got some inner issues to resolve.

All of us are in this together and its that negetive attitude that you have that is like a staff infection in society I wish we could cut out infections like you or at least cut out the infectious thinking that you have against your fellow humanity that are good people too, out of your head

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mr unknown and will say mr private in Indianapolis, Indiana

78 months ago

with some people in society now days always looking at people who has paid their debts to society and are rehabilitated to their wrong in the past in which cant be tooken back but we as ex felons have to be strong and overlook ignorant people because they will always look at you as a criminal because you may have made a wrong decision in the past in your lifetime but no one is perfect and just give that person a chance to change their lifestyle by hiring them and you will see how much feeling like a productive citizen of society makes a person feel and changes their future instead of holding our past against us because it will never make things better but will just add onto a ongoing crime rate that will never end any way

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mando in Casper, Wyoming

78 months ago

Nice! Great idea! " don't hire the felons! let them keep breaking laws to provide and get by"! Try taking a look around at your family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

AMANDA in Mableton, Georgia

78 months ago

YOU ARE AN IDIOT I HOPE SOMEONE STEALS EVERYTHING YOU GOT AND BURNS DOWN YOUR HOUSE AND FRAMES YOU FOR INSURANCE FRAUD AND THEN YOU CAN SPEND SOME QUALITY TIME WITH SOME CRIMINALS AND SOME BIG DUDE NAMED BUTCH MAKES YOU HIS LADY AND THEN WHEN YOU FINALLY DO GET OUT YOU CAN'T FIND A JOB THEN SOME MAN JUST LIKE YOU WILL SEE YOU AND TELL "YOU GET AWAY FROM ME YOU CRIMINAL" BUT THEN AGAIN YOU PROBABLY DON'T NEED ANYONE TO SET YOU UP YOU ARE PROBABLY A BIGGER CRIMINAL THEN ANY OF US ..... GOD WILL JUDGE YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Deshawn in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

Have anyone tried hiring a lawyner to get their record sealed?

I did (felony)and when someone runs a background check....my background is blank.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nelson in Jersey City, New Jersey

78 months ago

arlenie in Old Bridge, New Jersey, how do i come about working for your corporation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Suggestion: Some government jobs will not hold your record against you, depending upon what type of felony you have, what your skills are and what type of job you are applying for. You might start with City, County and or Federal. There are also special programs within the City of Cleveland that will assist you with your job search, educational/training programs, writing your resume' and expunging your record if you have only one felony or misdeamenor. Hope this helps!

78 months ago

michelle in Cleveland, Ohio said: Suggestion: Some government jobs will not hold your record against you, depending upon what type of felony you have, what your skills are and what type of job you are applying for. You might start with City, County and or Federal. There are also special programs within the City of Cleveland that will assist you with your job search, educational/training programs, writing your resume' and expunging your record if you have only one felony or misdeamenor. Hope this helps!
Bye the way, did you know the government offers monetary incentives to employers to hire ex-felons. You might want to use that little nugget to help sell yourself at the next interview..

Darius in Indianapolis, Indiana

78 months ago

I just recently got convicted of domestic violence and need a job in anything. I'm very literate in computers and computer tech. I have a trade diploma schooling and several other things to back me please need help!!!

Also if your a felon try temp services and light industrial work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.