How to Find Out if You're Really Being Blackballed?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Stang Girl in Phoenix, Arizona

39 months ago

I guess if we were Jesus, we'd say "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do."

Yes, it's unfortunate that those who claim to be so law abiding actually BREAK the law - a lot - in an effort to not suffer the consequences of their previous actions (which were usually ALSO illegal). That shows you they are only law abiding in SOME respects, but not ALL. It also shows you that they are relying on their own schemes and wits to get them through life, and they are NOT relying on God. So you can at least feel sorry for them that they are not operating in a manner that will ultimately bring them any victory in life longterm.

So you are miles ahead in that you DO trust God, you DON'T rely on people who are unreliable and are only out to protect their butts, and you know the true Source of all victory and blessings.

Try praying for your tormentors (I know it will be difficult), but it will open up the windows of Heaven's blessings on you in every area of life (including your career). After all, no matter WHAT anyone does to us, it is much less than the debt we owed God before we accepted Christ. If we want to enjoy the full benefits of that debt cancellation, then we must be willing to forgive and pray for those who have stepped on our career toes. You may not "mean it" when you first pray for them, but over time you WILL "mean it." Just do it anyway, you'll feel better too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Prodriver916 in Sacramento, California

38 months ago

Im in favor of the blog and forming a company. And I heard on the news that Asian immigration is increasing. And they are power players when it comes to high education and skills. Do I feel threatened? I certainly do. Companies are ruthless and will understandably seek the best people for their dollar. We as natives need to take steps to insure that we at least wont be disrepected in the market, even if we make not have benefitted from the level of education as citizens elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Prodriver916 in Sacramento, California

38 months ago

I do have faith in God. And Amatuer Romney has not proven himself beyond plenty od misinformed political rhetoric, to be any more qualified to provide economic reliefe than Obama or anyone else, unless youre a rich fat cat who only cares about keeping everyone else poor so you can remain rich and fat. Please recomend to me, someone who cares more than just about rich white people. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Wanttobeactress in Bowie, Maryland

36 months ago

Hello Everyone.

I fill much better that I am not alone in this matter. I am also being blackballed (Federal Government) by legal and am thinking maybe it is to late to do much at this time anyway. I am thinking of going south to find a job, but I hear there is not much work in the south. I have be applying (on-line) in some areas and am not getting any hits.

I have read all post and think it's a great idea to start a blog or something about these bad employers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rapunzel007 in Torrance, California

35 months ago

Sure. I was thinking of starting a blog that was a dialogue or website, to deal with this unfortunate growing problem. If you have any ideas, would love to hear them. If questions are personal give me your email, and we can talk that way:-). Otherwise, ask away:-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Allisay in Roswell, Georgia

35 months ago

Hi rapunzel,

Do you by chance have another form of contact?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

My 2 pennies

35 months ago

I read this forum topic a year or two ago and found it again today. I truly know "whereof you speak", and I feel your pain, believe me! I just wanted to say to those of you who are thinking of starting a website or blog re the type of employers you're discussing, and those who are thinking of contributing to it, some of us out here were forced to, by economic circumstances, the lack of confidence and money to fight, etc., sign severance agreements preventing us from discussing anything remotely related to our former employer and what we know to be the truth. Sad, but people should be careful, especially on-line. Your friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

Rapunzel007 in Torrance, California said: Sure. I was thinking of starting a blog that was a dialogue or website, to deal with this unfortunate growing problem. If you have any ideas, would love to hear them. If questions are personal give me your email, and we can talk that way:-). Otherwise, ask away:-)

I believe it is real, for sure.
About 10 years ago, I hired an investigator. I found out one place said they would not hire me again. They should have fired the two substance abusing, skipping out of work, employees I worked with. This is not illegal, but can cast a bad tone on the conversation.

I believe they do black-ball. I believe managers might have off the record conversations to scratch each others' backs.

It is all hard to prove, but we know they are so entrenched in drama.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

Rapunzel007 in Torrance, California said: Sure. I was thinking of starting a blog that was a dialogue or website, to deal with this unfortunate growing problem. If you have any ideas, would love to hear them. If questions are personal give me your email, and we can talk that way:-). Otherwise, ask away:-)

We cannot access your email on here...

Rapunzel007 in Torrance, California

35 months ago

Allisay in Roswell, Georgia said: Hi rapunzel,

Do you by chance have another form of contact?

Moniquac@yahoo.com

Bella in Covington, Georgia

35 months ago

Hi I find this conversation very familiar.

I do believe this problem is a hidden and growing concern. I feel that i was blackballed a few years ago, and my work flow has not been good since; however, I had been able to slip into jobs, but after a while some how I would be forced out of the job. Now i am unemployed because the last supervisor i worked under used a so called budget cut against me and hired someone else in my place. I feel that my emails or phone conversations are not private.

How do you fix this problem, what help is there for people who are caught in this situation?

Sincerely
Bella

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bella in Covington, Georgia

35 months ago

Hi,

Thank you so... much for those comforting words, I know that God has carried me thus far and will continue.

This situation is so annoying, because it exist and it's hard to prove. Your suggestion, the temp agency, well when I left the cooperation I worked for that I had filed EEOC on, that's when my problems begin. The funny thing about it is that EEOC said at the time, that I had a case, but I needed a lawyer in that area to handle it for me, unfortunately I did not have or know a lawyer who would challenge this big company, so my time had exspired, yes and I was young and alone on this.

When I moved, I did apply at a temp agency I worked a few jobs and landed one for perminent hire. The agency recruiter would visit the job site every day watching me, she gave me the impression that she did not want me to keep the job, before I new it she was fired from her job. Then I began to feel the effects of the owners not wanting me there, but the hiring manager refused to let me go, she liked me and my work a lot, but I begin to seemingly see her stress. She eventually got married and quit, therefore, new management came in and I was quickly demoted and so I left. I then found another job on my own, the manager that hired me was very nice but he was forced to resign. Tention for me developed on that job and eventually the manager starting harrassing me and then she was able to excuse me from the job and its been hard every since.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tricoastal in Dallas, Texas

34 months ago

20 year Legally Blonde in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I know this goes on, and this just confirms it. I have been looking to obtain full-time employment for almost a year and nothing.
All of my references have said that no one has ever called them!
Maybe we should all start a new blog about this and actually name the names of these administrators who are bad mouthing people into unemployment.
Then maybe they will know what it's like not to be able to find a job!

I'm going to join Nala to see about networking. I worked in California, and all calls for a work reference has to go through HR, period, or its grounds for dismissal. They are limited on what they can disclose. In Texas, these people want references from companies even if it is grounds for dismissal plus they demand to know your salary.
Very different rules across the states. I'llvlook for a blog on this too. I'm not sure if I'm being bad mouthed, but left a couple firms in the last 12 years because of poor management, temper tantrums, or those trying to witch hunt to fire for cause to avoid paying unemployment due to,poor economy. Keep the faith and your integrity. None of us will become that of which we are accused.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fifitrixiebelle in milwaukee, Wisconsin

29 months ago

Stang Girl in Phoenix, Arizona said: many law firm administrators belong to the local chapter of some association of legal administrators. Those associations are only for legal administrators to belong to. They have at least one function per month, as well as a Holiday party toward the end of the year. I believe they compare notes at all of these functions, illegally, on former staff and blackball them during these social association discussions (which are not on any record). Just assume that all the legal administrators in your town know each other and talk to each other. This may explain the brick wall former legal staffers run into when applying all over town.

This is true, and I know that they are colluding against me. What is one supposed to do? No matter where I go, what job I apply for, and how great my references are, it always comes down to potential HR talking to past HR. If I hire a "check your references" type company to prove that this is happening, it won't stop it from happening, or erase what has already happened. Has anyone ever gotten past this and, if so, how?

Let's say I lie and produce a resume that only lists employers from my pre law firm days. If I'm hired, won't a new employer be able to find out, once they have my SS #, that I have lied about my employment history?

I have always been an excellent assistant and very well liked by the attorneys I've worked for. I just can't believe that HR people have the power to ruin my life like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stang Girl from Phoenix (on vaca in...) in Puyallup, Washington

29 months ago

Dear belle:

I agree that if you fib on your next resume by leaving off potentially adverse (inaccurate and unfair as it may be)information from certain employers,that any new employer will (with your SSN) be able to see ALL past employment anyway. I wonder why employers even WANT our resumes, since so much info is available to them anyway about our background...

Instead of thinking of this dilemma as them having the "power to ruin my life like this," think of it as good riddance to not be a part of a field that treats its staff in such a manner. And don't think of HR as a rogue group doing independent bidding aside from what their attorney (bosses) want -- IOW, the things HR does are at the behest of the partners (irregardless of the fake smiles of the partners toward you). Instead of thinking of yourself as being frozen out of law, think of it as them doing you the favor of directing you away from some pretty rotten people and office politics and TOWARD your new, BETTER future (whether it be in a new field, something you have always dreamed about doing, or as an entrepeneur or doing something creative).

Meanwhile, for fun, take a hidden video camera into the elevators at your local "law firm filled" skyscraper and get attorneys on film saying rude and annoying things and post the vids on YouTube.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

canable in Norfolk, Virginia

24 months ago

20 year Legally Blonde in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I know this goes on, and this just confirms it. I have been looking to obtain full-time employment for almost a year and nothing.
All of my references have said that no one has ever called them!
Maybe we should all start a new blog about this and actually name the names of these administrators who are bad mouthing people into unemployment.
Then maybe they will know what it's like not to be able to find a job!

I had the same idea and repled to the employment dept. here in Va. about my contractors actions; (which included cheating me out of my overtime, starting a story about me that was totally false and has impacted my life very negatively in the work field and in my private, and social life). There is no doubt about it because the entire gang , at work, turned against me all at once. friday was fine, monday I was threatened and treated as a pariah. Here in Va. the boss has absolute power. This state does not even keep their own laws when an employee has any problem with an employer. I salute your idea and note the courage required to carry it out. But, I must suggest that you find out from an honest source how your state deals with such problems. Don`t believe a judge or a lawyer or the state itself. Find someone, or some organization that has dealt with this. I suggest you find a Christian Pastor who has real knowledge and hopefully experience with this problem. May GOD Bless you in your time of need. HE has me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PharmacistKeith in Louisville, Kentucky

24 months ago

At age 51, I lost my job in December 2011 (Merry Christmas). I've been a pharmacist now for 18 years with experience in multiple areas. Couldn't find any other work so I went to work for a temp agency in early 2012. Plenty of work until this year. Another 250 new grads in the state form 2 schools and now there isn't even any temp work through his agency. As of today I still have not found other work. One potential job hired me and even gave me a start date then on the day I was to report I was told I couldn't work for them. They said it was due to information they found on my background check. they sent me copies of the background check and there was NOTHING on it. They even told the temp agency that I worked for that I was not allowed to work for them through the temp agency either.

At the beginning of this year I decided to take things into my own hands and started a home wellness business. We use science based, clinically verified, alternative medical nutrition to support and promote the body's natural ability to repair itself. I have seen amazing results with clients. The most dramatic was a gulf war veteran that developed type 2 diabetic that was scheduled for a foot amputation at the VA. After starting our protocol his gangrene tissue repaired itself and he is now completely off of all diabetic medications.

The income potential is amazing as well. To be honest I haven't replaced my RPh salary yet but expect to do so in the next 6 months. I am making enough to cover all my monthly expenses except my mortgage, I get stock options and I just qualified for a car bonus. I need more people to help expand if any of you know anyone with an entrepreneurial spirit. Send me your contact info and best time of day to call. I would love to introduce you to some of the other health professionals that I am working with (including other pharmacists).

In this economy you have to take your future into your own hands. There are lots of ways to create your own income.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

pum7556@yahoo.com in Greenway, Virginia

23 months ago

I am sorry that you had to go through this situation. Same thing happened to me.

I am interested in hearing about your opportunity. Would you be willing to contact me to discuss further?

Thank you,

Pum

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

carl in Norfolk, Virginia

23 months ago

sure I`ll talk, but I will not name the co.s doing it.
I aint that stupid

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

j williams in Jacksonville, Florida

17 months ago

I was released from an employer on Oct. 14 2011 for allege sexual harassment. Since that time I have not bee able to secure a position in my home town since. I have been hired by companies outside of the city but not in the city. Even those companies actually hired me on the spot.
I have come very close to being made offers in my hometown , then all of a sudden the prospective employer lost interest, did not hear from them any more nor did they return calls.
I can leave this company off my resume as I am also self employed, do you think this could help?

benzml 500 in East Saint Louis, Illinois

14 months ago

Now I was working for a company who promise me the world an that it . So I quit them after time after time they would not see to my needs an my well being. Now they have yet to pay my last pay check an did not mean my unemployment. An gave me a bad score on my DAC to keep me from working. No one company should have the power to take a man's livelihood away being the man had the profession before going to the company..

ajeskin in Virginia

12 months ago

Yes, you have a right -- under the Fair Credit Reporting Act -- to see a copy of the background check done on you by any prospective employer. But they don't always cooperate, and just asking can identify you as suspicious or a potential troublemaker. Twenty years ago, I kept getting turned down for jobs with a large company where I had worked as a temp for a year. At first, my supervisor said there was "something negative" in my HR file, but when I spoke to someone in HR, he laughed and denied it. Three years later, I finally tracked down the investigator who did the background checks for them. He was in another city about an hour's drive away, but I made the trip and asked to see the report. I discovered that someone who worked at the same company where I'd worked 10 years earlier told him that I had "severe mental problems" and was fired because I "never got along with anybody." This informant never supervised me, never even worked in my department, and was not connected to HR! To correct this, I had to sign an affidavit authorizing the investigator to re-check my record with that employer. He called me the next day and said, "This time I spoke to someone in HR," which is what he should have done the first time. He said the HR rep referred to their files on me, which contained seven years' worth of outstanding evaluations and recommendations for raises, and my letter of resignation. These documents contained compliments from bosses, peers, and customers; and noted that they offered me another job to try and get me to stay when I resigned. They said they would hire me again if given the chance. Of course, by then serious damage was done by the jerk who lied about me. That false information was shared with people who spread it as gossip throughout their company, and even in professional organizations, severely limiting my chances to get better jobs. Laws have since been enacted that try to prevent this kind of thing from happening, but it doesn't help me now.

Guytonrju10 in Zion, Illinois

12 months ago

I didn't know i was being black balled unitl a co-worker told me to go and check my files, after i had resigned from my job to care for my mother. I couldn't get a job doing anything and no one would tell me why i wasn't getting the jobs i was appling for. So i went to the job humanresource to find out what was going on, and they wouldn't tell are show me the files. My past supervisor had a long history of mental illness and was biopolar and suffered depression. She lived to HUMILIATE, BELITTLED and BULLING staff and inmates. I waitness her for two months bully a co-worker and call her a pittyful niger and a piccannay and pull her wig off her head. I asked the co- worker had she reported her, she stated several times.She said the captain was her friend, and nothing would be done. the co- worker's right side of her face was deformed, and had bothered her all her life, because her siblings were normal. This co-worker stated to a friend that there can't be a god to let this happen to her. I begin to pray for her and it made me think about her son who is special needs. I didn't want her to do anything to her self and felt i needed to do something because she was scared. I reported this woman and they only moved her, but before they moved her she stated to me, that she didn't get mad she get even. I didn't think much of it, because i was also stressed out because of my mom being sick. I resigned 01/2013 it is 08/2014 and i can't get a job sweeping. I am seeking and attorney and have stop using place that job as a referance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Guytonrju10 in Zion, Illinois

12 months ago

I wonder how many people on wellfare, public aid is experiencing this problem. because you now have to take care of us.

guytonrju10

7 months ago

I was the last person to comment, I am back it is now January 22, 2015 and I am still unemployed. I am 49 and

I pray each day, I don't have a job so I can't get an attorney to fight my case. I have given this problem to god, and made prayer, trust in god and faith in god my weapon against this evil women.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kamryn in Telford, Pennsylvania

6 months ago

I believe I am being blackballed as well in my industry. Have been in this industry for 25+. Fired from last job, no reason given. I did absolutely nothing wrong, I was even picked just two months prior for a promotion. What gives? Well, I know what gives. The bottom line for these ruthless creatures is the dollar. If you are in someone's way doing the right thing and are sabotaged by a higher up doing "the wrong things" for their gain, then you go. That is exactly what happened. I have been looking for work for 19 months now. The "not working" gap is getting larger. I need recent experience in my industry, medical. But the medical community is a small one. Patient care has turned into a multi billion dollar industry. Many of these institutions are in the stock market playing games all day with the investors at the expense of patient care. I won't even begin to get into that. PA needs to change their laws and employers need to start valuing their employees.

Linda in Farmington, Michigan

6 months ago

I am not sure I believe in being 'blackballed' from an industry. If there was a problem with your last position giving references and you did nothing wrong, then say that during the interview process. Not everyone is a good fit for every company. It happens. There is no big database of people who are blackballed. Some companies have a 'do not rehire' list, but that is NOT shared with other companies.
Stop using that former employer as a 'reference'. Find someone else to use, or explain you probably won't get a good reference and WHY. I don't know what your specific role was, but the industry can't be that small. If you are still questioning what that employer is saying, hire a lawyer, or a friend, to call to do a reference check and record the conversation. That way you'll know what you're dealing with. Make sure you approach your job search with a positive attitude and put this situation behind you. Yea, it's a Pollyanna way of looking at things, but going on about being blackballed makes you look paranoid and non-cooperative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

celestialseas@broadstripe.net in Arnold, Maryland

6 months ago

Linda in Farmington, Michigan said: I am not sure I believe in being 'blackballed' from an industry. If there was a problem with your last position giving references and you did nothing wrong, then say that during the interview process. Not everyone is a good fit for every company. It happens. There is no big database of people who are blackballed. Some companies have a 'do not rehire' list, but that is NOT shared with other companies.
Stop using that former employer as a 'reference'. Find someone else to use, or explain you probably won't get a good reference and WHY. I don't know what your specific role was, but the industry can't be that small. If you are still questioning what that employer is saying, hire a lawyer, or a friend, to call to do a reference check and record the conversation. That way you'll know what you're dealing with. Make sure you approach your job search with a positive attitude and put this situation behind you. Yea, it's a Pollyanna way of looking at things, but going on about being blackballed makes you look paranoid and non-cooperative.

You could not be more wrong. In Maryland, here's the law - unless it's a govt. or union job (of 50 or more employees), you can, and may get a "bad" reference, you will NEVER know (as you're not told). Everyone seems to be under the impression "it's against the law to give a bad reference".....are they supposing this, or have they not had the very real, prevalent and often-suffered misfortune of working for a "bad boss" or bullying attorney? I worked for man who fired 8 secretaries in only 2 1/2 years. Do you think he'll talk to one of his buddies in the county (your potential employer calling him for a reference) that you were a great worker but he has a habit of firing all his secretaries, often, and keeps them at a paltry low pay as he knows he'll find someone that will take the job? No. He has no desire for YOU go to work for a colleague and tell his real demeanor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

celestialseas@broadstripe.net in Arnold, Maryland

6 months ago

guytonrju10 said: I was the last person to comment, I am back it is now January 22, 2015 and I am still unemployed. I am 49 and

I pray each day, I don't have a job so I can't get an attorney to fight my case. I have given this problem to god, and made prayer, trust in god and faith in god my weapon against this evil women.

I feel for you- I too am unemployed at an older age. In yesterday's world a good resume and some experience sent to an employer warranted a call back, personally, or to see what actual company you were applying to. As you can see on job boards, "no phone calls please" notes means they want no personal interaction to talk with you - and that means that as soon as your resume (no matter how good) will have your name, which will be googled, which will possibly bring up your name - and it's a fact that people 50 and over cannot get employed easily - so good luck....your resume might possibly (one of possibly hundreds on a job board) go into a "reject" pile. You, not even knowing the name of the company you applied with, will never ever know the difference. Good luck claiming age discrimination on that - yes, that's illegal too...and until women wake up and stop taking big pressure and stress jobs for menial pay, and as long as employers can get you hired and then fire you at the drop of a hat and skirt around the reasons why - well, then you are in a bad situation - at worse, menial pay. When's the last time you ever heard of a single MALE secretary supporting his family on his paycheck? Lowly "secretaries" support every single company/corporation and business in this country - yet can't even support themselves on a paycheck in "regular" admin - and the attorneys are using the "economy" as an excuse - the market is overflowing with desperate and hungry women taking the jobs.

Linda in Farmington, Michigan

6 months ago

celestialseas@broadstripe.net in Arnold, Maryland said: You could not be more wrong. In Maryland, here's the law - unless it's a govt. or union job (of 50 or more employees), you can, and may get a "bad" reference, you will NEVER know (as you're not told). Everyone seems to be under the impression "it's against the law to give a bad reference".....are they supposing this, or have they not had the very real, prevalent and often-suffered misfortune of working for a "bad boss" or bullying attorney? I worked for man who fired 8 secretaries in only 2 1/2 years. Do you think he'll talk to one of his buddies in the county (your potential employer calling him for a reference) that you were a great worker but he has a habit of firing all his secretaries, often, and keeps them at a paltry low pay as he knows he'll find someone that will take the job? No. He has no desire for YOU go to work for a colleague and tell his real demeanor.

There is nothing to be 'wrong' about in what I posted. Did you read my comment? Nowhere does it say anything about what you are talking about. If you don't like the reference they give you, move on. Don't use them, or tell the new company up front you won't get a good reference. Did I say anything about it being against the law to give a bad reference? No. I said try to find out what they are saying you know what you are dealing with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mstruebeliever in Madison, Wisconsin

6 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: I believe it is real, for sure.
About 10 years ago, I hired an investigator . I found out one place said they would not hire me again. They should have fired the two substance abusing, skipping out of work, employees I worked with. This is not illegal, but can cast a bad tone on the conversation.

I believe they do black-ball. I believe managers might have off the record conversations to scratch each others' backs.

It is all hard to prove, but we know they are so entrenched in drama.

I am in agreement that their are former employers that blackball employee's names and should not be allowed to do this because most times employer's that are checking references on prospective employees seeking employment, call to speak to their former employers, oppose to asking the prospective employee to submit their references. Then, after speaking to the former employer and being told all kinds of negative feedback, causes the prospective new employer to draw their own conclusions and make a decision to hire other candidacy. There are many individuals dealing with such inappropriate references being told and being accepted by the prospective employers who are unwilling to take a chance on that prospective employee. By law, employers are not to speak badly about an employee, but they're doing it!!! If anyone reads this post, have any ideas of how this can be handled or dealt with, please send a reply because employers should not be able to get away with this. With the Economy being as it is, people have families to care for, medical situations and necessities to deal with and employer's are hurting these people and there should be something that can be done about it. Any Helpful Replies, don't hesitate.

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona

6 months ago

Mstruebeliever in Madison, Wisconsin said: I am in agreement that their are former employers that blackball employee's names and should not be allowed to do this because most times employer's that are checking references on prospective employees seeking employment, call to speak to their former employers, oppose to asking the prospective employee to submit their references. Then, after speaking to the former employer and being told all kinds of negative feedback, causes the prospective new employer to draw their own conclusions and make a decision to hire other candidacy. There are many individuals dealing with such inappropriate references being told and being accepted by the prospective employers who are unwilling to take a chance on that prospective employee. By law, employers are not to speak badly about an employee, but they're doing it!!! If anyone reads this post, have any ideas of how this can be handled or dealt with, please send a reply because employers should not be able to get away with this. With the Economy being as it is, people have families to care for, medical situations and necessities to deal with and employer's are hurting these people and there should be something that can be done about it. Any Helpful Replies, don't hesitate.

Even if we could prove it, it would be hard to do anything about it, because they'd blackball us just for proving it.

49andlooking in Lothian, Maryland

5 months ago

Years ago I was told in casual conversation that yes, indeed, there is a "black list" for legal secretaries in the DC area. Nothing formal, just a behind the scenes "list" on a blog somewhere. And I believe it works both ways. Never in a million years did I ever think I would end up on it - but apparently it has happened. After 20+ years of an excellent work history for some great attorneys, I took a position with a nutcase who is the sort of female partner we all dread - an emotional, backstabbing abusive climber with a diagnosed bi-polar condition. After 7 years of making the best of it (the work and clients were awesome), I was laid off due to work reduction (she was losing clients AND attorneys because of her abusive behavior). Over the years, I had first hand experience with her saying how she was going to ruin staff she didn't like (which was practically everyone). This was relayed to management by many, but since she was a partner and we had diversity requirements from our clients....yadda yadda yadda - nothing was done. Three times during interviews in the last year, this attorney's name has been brought up by prospective employers - all three times in the most negative ways (her reputation is out there). While I was so diplomatic I surprised myself in my responses, it was clear that working for her may have left me "damaged goods," or she has made good on her promise to ruin people. Either way, it is wrong and not much can be done about it. Thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

celestialseas@broadstripe.net in Severna Park, Maryland

5 months ago

I've been told by law staffing agencies (and all research and media advise same) that you CANNOT under any circumstances disparage the employers - in a company that I not a govt. job or in a co. of 50 or less employees they CAN disparage you (and you'll never know) when potential employers are checking your reference with a bully/intimidating/staff is continually fired or quits boss.....YES - for those of you out there who have lucked into decent firms with decent employers, and contrary to "those" people's beliefs that the rest of us are somehow bad employees (not true - so those on here whining because they had a tough day or the boss was a little curt, please don't complain and ruin the integrity of us other unfortunate employees who HAVE been, and know that extreme bullying, intimidation, inconsideration, nastiness, insults, cussing/screaming/hollering (I've had employers THROW things) - is out there (agencies KNOW this) - please bow out.

I think legal secretaries need protection and support against such employers who can stomp on you and then ruin YOUR reference when you are advised "never" defend yourself in interviews. The law is on THEIR side. MD is an "at will" state.....they can fire you any time, for any reason (except to spend tons of $ proving gender, race, sexual abuse or a medical reason) - other than that, WE are unknowing to be hired into a job with the best of intentions only to find that a million before you were fired or quit due to bullying or nastiness of some sort.

What do I think? I think WE as professionals need a network to WARN secretaries of BULLYING and intimidating, verbally abusive and insulting employers - BEFORE we apply to their offices, and to ALSO protect ourselves with a network at I arranged to WARN job candidates what the employer is like BEFORE going into firms. The law isn't protecting well-meaning, good employees, we apparently need organize and protect ourselves.

Linda in Novi, Michigan

5 months ago

You really think someone is going to publish a 'list' of candidates that are 'blackballed'? I honestly can't think of anyone who would go to the trouble to do this. In all my years recruiting I have NEVER experienced an actual blackballed candidate. Some companies have 'no rehire' lists, but those are former employees, and generally for good reason. Any hiring manager that listens to any sort of 'blackball' talk is an idiot. Buying into this is just allowing you to build in an excuse in your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

I did NOT post that, someone else did....and, by the way, I you are a "recruiter" I highly doubt you are on this end of the conversation which is for potential candidates. I also know nothing about such a list as this other girl wrote about, but as an employee who is a professional with probably a much better perspective as your side of the fence, and your being in Michigan, I would say my suggestion to protect legal staffing in some way (not a list, per say, as the other person mentioned) isn't something you need to be commenting on as you seem hostile towards job searchers and insulting in your comment. We don't need that, we need solutions for OUR predicaments when this type of thing happens.

49andlooking in Lothian, Maryland

5 months ago

Linda in Novi, Michigan said: You really think someone is going to publish a 'list' of candidates that are 'blackballed'? I honestly can't think of anyone who would go to the trouble to do this. In all my years recruiting I have NEVER experienced an actual blackballed candidate. Some companies have 'no rehire' lists, but those are former employees, and generally for good reason. Any hiring manager that listens to any sort of 'blackball' talk is an idiot. Buying into this is just allowing you to build in an excuse in your job search.

Something tells me the hiring environment in Novi, Michigan is nothing like the the hiring environment in Washington, DC. And nobody said it was a "published list." Have no doubt that there are backroom and off the record notes on everything in this town. Of course employers are not going to discuss this with you, the recruiter. But to deny that it exists and to call people names is insensitive. In my experience, the "list" can go both ways. The negative comments about my previous employer were brought up TO ME. All I could do was listen, nod politely, and as diplomatically as possible not agree or disagree, find something halfway professional and nice to say and move on. To have it happen more than once was rather disturbing. So it does work both ways.

Linda in Novi, Michigan

5 months ago

celestialseas@broadstripe.net in Severna Park, Maryland said: I did NOT post that, someone else did....and, by the way, I you are a "recruiter" I highly doubt you are on this end of the conversation which is for potential candidates. I also know nothing about such a list as this other girl wrote about, but as an employee who is a professional with probably a much better perspective as your side of the fence, and your being in Michigan, I would say my suggestion to protect legal staffing in some way (not a list, per say, as the other person mentioned) isn't something you need to be commenting on as you seem hostile towards job searchers and insulting in your comment. We don't need that, we need solutions for OUR predicaments when this type of thing happens.

My comment isn't directed at you. You are in no position to tell me what conversations I can participate in or not. I would suggest that your hostility be directed elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

Sure thing - its unproductive for the content of what I was replying to from the girl from Lothian anyway.

Any comments on how to achieve the goal of protection for hard-working professional legal secretaries with integrity are welcomed, in order to be able to achieve a needed, helpful and pro-active goal - maybe you an comment to other "recruiters".

No return comment necessary. Thanks.

Bblln45 in Houston, Texas

3 months ago

I am so please I stumbled on to this site, yes people are being blackballed, costing them there lively hood as well as there lives (sucide) there is a few sites that share information, e.g. Hireright brassring, Taleo, Oricale Hr don't check the information they just go with the say so of an individual, there are two ways you can get blackballed, work performance related and fraud illegal activities , HR don't always get the full storey only half, missing information and screwing up people's lives, I reported it to the Texas work force and it got even worse, if it's performance related you need to get a labour lawyer, if it's fraud it's going to be one fight to prove it, if you request information from the company that they have on you they do t always give you the truth, the only way to sort this is to get a report on yourself and this is difficult as nobody will give you the information and find a lawyer it takes 5 min to screw your life up but it takes years to clear it. if any body has suggestion it would be appreciated

peachmeetswest in southwest, Florida

2 months ago

j williams in Jacksonville, Florida said: I was released from an employer on Oct. 14 2011 for allege sexual harassment. Since that time I have not bee able to secure a position in my home town since.....

You say "alleged sexual harassment" - that is something that needs to be proven (not alleged) or they may be looking at a defamation suit. They CAN say things like "he had a bad attitude" or "Susie didn't get along with others" because those are matters of opinion that can't be proven. But a claim of sexual harassment is as bad as saying "He came to work intoxicated" or "David stole from petty cash." Then that employer better have some proven facts to back up the accusation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unique Username in Bloomington, Indiana

2 months ago

I understand this is JUST a forum And a venting thread.

BUT, I am really surprised at the horrible spelling and grammatical errors in the posts.

You all are in the "legal" field so I'm wondering if perhaps this lack of attention to detail might possibly be a part of why you are having difficulties attaining employment.

Anyway, I wish you all good luck in your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.