corrupt bosses?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

overworked and confused in Buffalo, New York

47 months ago

I'm a new legal secretary trying to learn and save up for the notary exam. In normal circumstances, I can take a lot of stress. But my boss seems to cross the line financially sometimes, making it very difficult for me to stay optimistic. He pays the bare minimum, does not pay for gas or parking (even though he makes me drive him to court about twice a day) and only pays for overtime under the table (which means he can also pay less). It's also difficult to learn when he is never there and never puts time into the files. I often have to ask the OPPOSING attorney what I should do. I have reason to believe he is also involved in under the table real estate deals and knowingly represents slumlords.

Before anyone suggests why don't I quit, I live in Western NY and I am not a notary. Finding another job is extremely difficult. I'm not looking for a solution, as I have been looking for a different job for months. I can't just quit on the spot, but I want to get out sooner than later.

I only want to know if anyone else has experienced situations like this in their legal careers. Is this normal? Should I just go to another field entirely? I enjoy legal work, but this is not worth it. I know that if I stay in his practice long enough, he will ruin any chance I have at working for another law firm. This is a small legal community. He also does not like people quitting, even with two weeks notice. He views it as an insult. This small practice is a little too small for me. I have lost all respect I once had for my boss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dogface in Houston, Texas

47 months ago

overworked and confused in Buffalo, New York said: I'm a new legal secretary trying to learn and save up for the notary exam. In normal circumstances, I can take a lot of stress. But my boss seems to cross the line financially sometimes, making it very difficult for me to stay optimistic. He pays the bare minimum, does not pay for gas or parking (even though he makes me drive him to court about twice a day) and only pays for overtime under the table (which means he can also pay less). It's also difficult to learn when he is never there and never puts time into the files. I often have to ask the OPPOSING attorney what I should do. I have reason to believe he is also involved in under the table real estate deals and knowingly represents slumlords.

Before anyone suggests why don't I quit, I live in Western NY and I am not a notary. Finding another job is extremely difficult. I'm not looking for a solution, as I have been looking for a different job for months. I can't just quit on the spot, but I want to get out sooner than later.

I only want to know if anyone else has experienced situations like this in their legal careers. Is this normal? Should I just go to another field entirely? I enjoy legal work, but this is not worth it. I know that if I stay in his practice long enough, he will ruin any chance I have at working for another law firm. This is a small legal community. He also does not like people quitting, even with two weeks notice. He views it as an insult. This small practice is a little too small for me. I have lost all respect I once had for my boss.

I would like to point out, now this is my opinion. Paying you under the table is illegal. Sounds to me the man is cheating Uncle Sam. Your earnings whatever that may be, have to be accountable as gross income and is therefore taxable. Ever go to Las Vegas and win big. Whatever your winnings and before you cash in, you pay the with holding tax either on the spot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.