What are typical maintenance manager salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Duke Stripling in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

73 months ago

According salary calculators for my area typical salaries for Maintenance Managers are $63000/yr but I am having a hard time finding an employer who is willing to pay that. I would like to read comments from folks in my area about their experiences and what skills they found helped increase their salry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Allen Flanagan in Brockton, Massachusetts

68 months ago

I too have been disappointed when comparing real salaries to survey salaries. I think that the higher salaries in the surveys are reported by guys fortunate enough to have a lot of time invested in tHeir position. I have 5 years invested in my current position and I am much more satisfied with my job and salary than I was when I first took the position. Look at the big picture when considering an opportunity. Is there room to grow? Can you make significant contributions right away? Accept the best job you can find and be the best guy they ever had doing it and the rewards will come your way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

dukestripling@yahoo.com in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

54 months ago

You are right. I too have found that companies would rather hire someone for alot less and deal with the incompetance. However in this poor economy it is a employer's market. My company closed the plant I was a supervisor at and was able to find a job but at a 10k loss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

justsipn

54 months ago

I have been in the apartment industry for 25 plus years and when you start making good money it seems that the complex sells and you are out of a job. The past few years have been hard because the companies want to save on exspences and want to do painting and cleaning in house,and when you do that you get behind on work orders and projects they want done. Well if we were painters we would not be repairing a/c stoves refrigerators etc. Why doesn"t management understand that you can not have all the apartments ready and do everything else that has to be done when you do everything in house and then they do not want to pay you for your skills and knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chuckles the clown in Portland, Oregon

53 months ago

i am a maintenance manager at a chain of pizza shops (5 stores)
i am the only person doing it so i don't know why they call me
a manager... anyways. i fix and maintain everything from the toilets
to the computers to the ovens to the cars, i also preform
scheduled maintenance and special projects and any other thing
they can think up. i came up in this company from a dishwasher/cook
so i make a whopping 28,000 a year. great huh? trying to get a good
salary in this field is very difficult i am finding. but reading
this i feel like i am being take advantage of in a huge way. i don't
have any formal training, i was homeschooled (very well thank you)
so i have no paperwork. however i can diagnose anything that runs
or moves and fix anything i understand, as well as admit when i can't.
i have always had a knack for this and my current boss saw that and
put me in this position, at first it was so great to have a salary
and benefits but in the end i work my self to death save them a bucket
of money and never have enough of my own. i am trying to support a wife
and a new baby or i would tell them to take a long walk off a short pier.
if anyone has any resources or advice that would help me i would be very
thankful, i love this type of work but i can't seem to make it work(pardon
the pun)
email:ssenkcalb@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

buster in Syracuse, New York

53 months ago

To Chuck
As hard as it may seem, take classes, get credentials . We all had to start at the bottom. If you wish to be successful, you have to get there just like everyone else . Its not hard , just do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

buster in Syracuse, New York said: To Chuck
As hard as it may seem, take classes, get credentials . We all had to start at the bottom. If you wish to be successful, you have to get there just like everyone else . Its not hard , just do it.

What credentials? I would be interested to make me more of an asset to an employer.

buster in Syracuse, New York

53 months ago

class completion in for example basic residential and commercial wiring , air condition / refrigeration and gas recovery certification. welding certification aws . masonry , plumbing , hydraulics - its all out there. even in a poor economy , people will fight over who gets to hire you , you have made yourself valuable by increasing your skill level and those skills are marketable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

dusty1 in Littleton, Colorado

49 months ago

I've been a Maintenance Manager for over 10 years. I am a licensed electrical journeyman, and a certified pool operation instructor. In Denver Co. In a healthcare setting, managing a 50,000 sq ft. bldg. I'm only getting $45,000 yr. I feel that too little a salary. There isn't much I can't do or haven't done. It's a shame our economy has deteriorated to this level.

Man89 in Lakin, Kansas

40 months ago

If you guys feel underpaid how should i feel? I make 20,000 a year take home, no insurance. I am a maintance manager for a contracted farm through seaboard. I oversee 55 barns with a multitude of tasks ranging from industrial plumbing, electric, welding i have a boss who does absoulutly nothing and takes home a good 35,000! a year doing nothing 1300 dollar check vs a lousy 784 dollar check every two weeks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

You are so underpaid it makes me sick. No medical and 20,000/yr. Apparently there are no better paying jobs in your area since you are still working for them. Your situation makes me feel blessed. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jj43 in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

There are both professional and technical certifications available. Go to the IFMA web site and check out the industry accepted certifications. Also there are trade certifications/training in HVAC/Refrigeration, manufacturer equipment certifications....the list goes on. When you have found an industry job you are interested in see what they are requesting for experiance, check what is reasonably available with time commitment on your part to meet those requirements. Some employers want dual languages others want CFM/FM certification. Many of these skill training sets are available on line so check it out.
Good luck with the search

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ruby1213 in Gilbert, Arizona

39 months ago

I was a Maintenance Supervisor and then subsequesntly, a Regional Maintenance Director for the same management company for 11 years. Before that I was a Supervisor and Tech for about 4 years with 2 other management companies. I was recently layed off and thought, no big deal I'll just get another job.
Now I'm begging for interviews to be a tech at half of what I was making before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.