Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Elaine in Kanata, Ontario

93 months ago

how did yu start out with no experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ChristyBa in Albany, Georgia

71 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I believe that the education available today for management students is extremely helpful and necessary in order to be a good manager! I have over 15 years experience in administrative support and have worked for a number of "jerks" who could have done well to have the education.

I went to college to get my degree in Management and have learned that the education is not the only thing you need to be in this field. Experience is a must for most companies, and it becomes frustrating when you have the education and the abilities, but no "technical" experience.

However, the education I received not only reinforced management skills and key success factors, it also mirrored my own feelings about the importance of human capital. Not everyone is cut out to be a manager! The old style of "demand and command" managing is no longer effective unless a person is in the military. For the civilian world, it is not only unnecessary, it is unacceptable! Employees deserve to be treated as stakeholders of a company and their success is the company's success. Many managers would do well to remember that everyone is disposable and if you manage your employees and other company resources poorly, you will be looking for another job, hopefully not in managment.

Good luck with your journey!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

whitehurst1954@yahoo.com in Greenville, North Carolina

59 months ago

Elaine in Kanata, Ontario said: how did yu start out with no experience?

Can you tell me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lacey4 in Gainesville, Florida

59 months ago

look for job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.