MASSAGE THERAPY IN OREGON! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP AND READ!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Beaux Brasseur in Palm Bay, Florida

60 months ago

so heres my situation.. i live in florida.. where its a 500 hr course.. and mblex or nctmb is required.. and im originally from oreogn.. and i plan on moving back when i graduate in 2 months.. the problem is the school im at is pretty much amazing... theres a teacher who is on the boards of florida.. and our school owner was the therapist for the florida marlins profesh. baseball team..

but however.. this doesnt change the fact that its a good school.. its a great school and all but i dont feel to confidant in what i know...

can someone prepair me for what to expect when i move back to oregon... IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE MBLEX... at all...

but i am stressing 2 things...

1. my friend told me that in oregon you go in a room and they choose 7 random muscles and you have to tell them the "origin insertion action and range of motion" for all of them.. which i do not think i can do! i know majority of the muscles and relitive range of where they are but i dont know any of that!

AND

2. what other testing do they require to become certified there? it seems like oregon is the freaking hardest place in the world to get licenced..

could someone please explain the tests that i will need to take there...

and could someone please tell me what to study for the tests.. including the MBLEX (WHICH IM TAKING IN 1 MONTH)!

thanks a million! god bless you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PranaMassage in Quincy, Massachusetts

60 months ago

Beaux Brasseur in Palm Bay, Florida said: so heres my situation.. i live in florida.. where its a 500 hr course.. and mblex or nctmb is required.. and im originally from oreogn.. and i plan on moving back when i graduate in 2 months.. the problem is the school im at is pretty much amazing... theres a teacher who is on the boards of florida.. and our school owner was the therapist for the florida marlins profesh. baseball team..

but however.. this doesnt change the fact that its a good school.. its a great school and all but i dont feel to confidant in what i know...

can someone prepair me for what to expect when i move back to oregon... IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE MBLEX... at all...

but i am stressing 2 things...

1. my friend told me that in oregon you go in a room and they choose 7 random muscles and you have to tell them the "origin insertion action and range of motion" for all of them.. which i do not think i can do! i know majority of the muscles and relitive range of where they are but i dont know any of that!

AND

2. what other testing do they require to become certified there? it seems like oregon is the freaking hardest place in the world to get licenced..

could someone please explain the tests that i will need to take there...

and could someone please tell me what to study for the tests.. including the MBLEX (WHICH IM TAKING IN 1 MONTH)!

thanks a million! god bless you!

The origin is the proximal end of the muscle, and the insertion is the distal end....surprised that you wouldn't have learned that in your program. Proximal means nearer to the body (on the extremities) and distal is the end further away. Use the heart as a reference point and you're good. They wouldn't ask you "range of motion" bc that varies from person 2 person, but they will probably expect you to know the action of each maj muscle (i.e. extends the knee, externally rotates the hip)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

i know what distal and lateral and all those terms mean.. i know what the origin and insertion is... i just dont know what they are for each muscle. if that makes more sense...

so what should i studyY? and know for oregons testS?

and WE HAVE BARLEY TOUCHED PATHOLOGIES!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PBR in Vancouver, Washington

60 months ago

Oregon wants to force everyone who moves here to go to one of their schools. They make it much harder than it has to be. But don't stress about it, seriously. Everyone who studies passes!

Oregon requires the NCE or the MBLEx and a hands-on practical exam. You'll have to pay $50 (I think) and have your transcript sent to the state for evaluation. You MAY have to take more hours of A&P, maybe not. Send Kathryn Watson an email at kathryn.watson@state.or.us and she'll tell you what to do.

Go to this page www.oregon.gov/OBMT/forms.shtml and download "Candidate Handbook and Application" under the Examination/Licensure section. It tells you everything you need to know about getting licensed, including what you need to know for the practical exam and what books to study for it.

Many OR schools offer classes for people just like you who are moving into the state and need to pass the practical exam or get few more A&P hours. Which town are you moving to? If you like, I'll see if I can find a school that offers these classes.

59 months ago

ahh that would be amazing thank you so much!! IM MOVING TO MEDFORD OREGONN :) do keep me updated thanks soo much!

god bless your night!

PBR in Vancouver, Washington

59 months ago

The Ashland Institute of Massage has a 650-hour program. Last I checked they will only let you transfer your hours to their school, finish the other 150 hours and graduate from their program. They have worked with many students who moved in out of state. This is a very good school and you will be more than ready to pass the practical exam.

If you choose this route you won't have to send your transcript to the state for evaluation. Graduation from an Oregon school qualifies you to take the Oregon practical exam and get your license. That's what I recommend, especially since it sounds like you are not fully confident in your training yet.

www.aimashland.com/

The next closest school that I know of is Lane Community College in Eugene, which is over 2 hours away. They might let you just take the hours you need to meet Oregon's requirements.

lanecc.edu/ce/massage/massagecoursedesc.htm

Good luck, and don't let the Oregonian Bureaucrats intimidate you!

jmslack

47 months ago

Th mblex is only 125 multiple choice questions. A couple on every subject like a&p pathology, kines etc. it was just basic questions just go over your notes and past tests and quizzes before the test. The practical one is easier then I thought it would be. 5 of the 7 muscles picked are outlined. You don't need to say anything while outlining them but u do have to say the actions outloud as your doing them. The other 2 mm you need to either demonstrate on your cl how to shorten or lengthen then give a 10 min demo massage of the modality of your choice. They will also give you a pathology and ask you what you would do for a cl with that issue. For the practical you have 3 parts of the test that's graded and you need 70% or higher in each section to pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jmslack

47 months ago

Th mblex is only 125 multiple choice questions. A couple on every subject like a&p pathology, kines etc. it was just basic questions just go over your notes and past tests and quizzes before the test. The practical one is easier then I thought it would be. 5 of the 7 muscles picked are outlined. You don't need to say anything while outlining them but u do have to say the actions outloud as your doing them. The other 2 mm you need to either demonstrate on your cl how to shorten or lengthen then give a 10 min demo massage of the modality of your choice. They will also give you a pathology and ask you what you would do for a cl with that issue. For the practical you have 3 parts of the test that's graded and you need 70% or higher in each section to pass.

jmslack

47 months ago

cc in Ontario, California

46 months ago

any opinions on California mblex?? thanks

natalie d. in Hillsboro, Oregon

33 months ago

I am from California and grad. From national holistic institute in 2009. Got 720 hrs schooling and got Calif. State certified. I moved to Oregon in 2011 as my husband got a career opportunity that we couldn't say no to. I took the mblex for Oregon and passed. Now I am studying for the practical. I am making flash cards for all of diseases and bought some muscle flash cards for what they are asking for in their app. Its been a couple of years since graduating and I haven't massaged in a while. Any other notes or things to look out for or anything like that? I'm really nervous. I figure,when I'm confident I can pass, ill send the app in. Anything is appreciated! I live in hillsboro BTW.

Tlyn22 in Sandy, Oregon

26 months ago

The comments have been helpful! My test is in 2 days!!! I'm wondering if we have to outline the muscles with a chinese marker or something? or are we just kind of pointing to the insertions?
Thanks
-T

OregonPrep in Portland, Oregon

16 months ago

I am a massage instructor in the Portland area, and I think I can answer any questions you have about your boards. I designed a website to help you pass. Check it out at www.OregonPrep.MassageTherapy.com

It is loaded with everything you need to know. If you have any questions contact me.

Brandon

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.