Advice on starting massage therapy program in Canada

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 121)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

JJoy in Destin, Florida

57 months ago

rmttobe in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Are there any massage therapists from Canada (ON or BC) on this forum?

I'm thinking of becoming a RMT, but it's a huge commitment since in BC you have to complete a 3000 hour program to be a massage therapist.

I see that many people in this forum are complaining that they can't find jobs or make enough money, but most are from the US where the training is much shorter so there are too many therapists.

I've heard that BC actually has a shortage of RMTs, is that true? How hard is it to find a job or build up your clientele if you are a decent therapist?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot!

I've found it to be more difficult to build a clientel in a small town vs. a big city. Also of all the type of environments - spa, wellness center, and gymnasium, the spa is the most difficult. There are many ways to market yourself- you just have to keep at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sbrmt in Hamilton, Ontario

57 months ago

HI
Im an RMT in Ontario, and I went to school and completed 2200 hrs of hands-on/theory! it was a VERY long process, but here in Canada, it's clearly different from the US.

I've been in this practice for 3 years and there are pros and cons about it. Always do your research no matter what. I spent a few months figuring out if I really wanted to do the program and now I wouldn't go back! =)

No matter what, you will always have this as a background to fall back on if you don't enjoy the work afterwards. Myself, I really like what I do, but at some point you may feel theres more you want to learn. With massage therapists in Ontario, we have to complete CEU's every 3 years so that means you have to learn other modalities you could use in your practice (ie. reflexology, hot stone, aromatherapy) These things can be expensive but they will also increase your pay and probably give you more clients. Theres alot of research you should do if you are still hesitant to study massage, but I'm sure in the end you will love the program =)

I hope this helps!
Registered massage therapists are ALWAYS in demand! There are TONS everywhere, but who says you won't be the best in your area?...=) GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rmttobe in Surrey, British Columbia

57 months ago

Thank you for your answer, it's good to hear from someone from Canada! I'm happy that you're enjoying being an RMT, I hope that I'll end up being happy as well.

One thing that I'm worried about is burning out a few years into my career. I've talked to a few RMTs and they complain about back and wrist pain. I've asked the school about this and they say that they teach good body mechanics and that if you are careful you shouldn't be in pain.

Have you found that massage is really hard on your body? I'm not expecting it to be easy, but I don't want to be in crippling pain after a few years of doing it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WhyMassageTherapy in Halifax, Nova Scotia

57 months ago

Hi Rmttobe,

I have been a massage therapist for nearly 10 years - I was educated and currently live in Nova Scotia (from a 2200-hour program), but passed my CMTO board exams after graduation. I am working in a great clinic now, though there have been times when I didn't work in the best places. I think that the BC education is fantastic, but I would caution you that you have to be very business minded to make a great go of it. Massage therapy IS a business, and if you go about it in the right way you can do very well for yourself - it takes commitment and business savvy. I do discuss massage therapy careers on my massage therapy website www.whymassagetherapy.com , feel free to email me if you have more questions. I also encourage you to find an in-demand niche that you love and specialize right away - this will make your skills much more marketable than other therapists who spread themselves too thinly.

As for the quote from Pariah "...I decided not to go, because the vain, rich, stupid people are willing to pay too much for massage. I'll keep on taking advantage of them!" I am disappointed to hear that you think your clients are "vain, rich, stupid" - this attitude will eventually catch up to you, and I really think that the same clients whom you call these things deserve more respect, especially since their investment in your services are paying your bills and living expenses.

Rmttobe - best of luck with everything, and I think you're on the right track researching and asking questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sbrmt in Hamilton, Ontario

56 months ago

Hey BC
i can't say massage is hard on my body because it is true how they teach you good body mechanics. Those who do feel the pain are not following the right techniques and thats where you get the high number of mt's quitting the business. So far i'm doing pretty good. I've had a sore back the odd time, and I only blame myself for that, but nothing a good stretch and heat won't help =)

I was always worried about getting injured and possibly getting carpal tunnel, but its funny because there are things you can do for yourself and stretches you can do to prevent things like that! you have to take care of yourself before you can care for others right!

Hope this helps...I'm sure you'll make a good decision. Just remember that its a very flexible career. YOu can do so much with it. GOOD LUCK!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rmttobe in Vancouver, British Columbia

56 months ago

Thanks for all the helpful information. I looked at your site and there's lots of good information on there. I am aware that massage therapy is a business, and I already have a university business degree, so I'm hoping that it will help! Of course making money is not all I care about, I think that helping people will be rewarding as well. I don't want to get rich, but I want to be comfortable and pay back my student loans. I will definitely email you if I have more questions, thanks for the offer!

sbrmt, thanks for answering my question about burnout. This is my other big fear when it comes to entering this field. I'm happy to hear that body mechanics help and that there are things you can do to prevent being in pain. I feel a lot better about my decision to become a massage therapist now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jesse r ontario in Brampton, Ontario

55 months ago

Thanks for your advice it helps! I am assuming that you are a rmt and if so, have you experienced burn out? Do a lot of rmt's become burned out? How do we stop that from happening. And also are insurance copanies discontinuing their insurance benifits for people to have their massages paid for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deb:) in Vancouver, British Columbia

54 months ago

I've heard the school costs to become an RMT in BC are really steep - I'm wondering about the most economical way to do it here and which school is the best. Any advice??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Regina, Saskatchewan

54 months ago

Thank you all for these questions and answers. I am interested in becoming a RMT here in Canada as well. Most of the questions here are of the same with mine. I would also like to know which school would you recommend in Ontario or in Alberta?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

WhyMassageTherapy in Halifax, Nova Scotia

53 months ago

Hi Tracy,

I wouldn't go so far as to recommend a school in ONtario or Alberta, but if you go to Ontario the standard is 2200-hours and you should do the CMTO exams. I would HIGHLY recommend that if you go to Alberta you choose a 2200-hour program as well, and then do the exams with MTAA.

For the other questions - as far as earning potential, I've said it before, if you can get a corner on a market by specializing (in an in-demand niche) you can eventually start your own business and rent space to others to cover your operating expenses. This takes business savvy, but I know a few former classmates who are making a gross income of about $80K. THIS IS NOT TYPICAL, but is definitely doable. I may make about 1/2 of that, but I have chosen to work at someone else's clinic. I have to say that after 10 years of practice I am happier than I have ever been, I love the people I work with, I enjoy my clients, I am busy, and the owner treats me with respect. AND, I am available for 25 treatment hours a week - I wouldn't go anywhere else unless I decided to specialize and open my own clinic.

As a massage therapist, you have to network and market yourself EVERY day, no exceptions, even if you work at someone else's clinic.

Best of luck to all aspiring massage therapists!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Hi, I just started a RMT course in BC, and so far I love it. I'm really fascinated to learn about the human body and can't wait to graduate and work in this industry. The course is pretty tough, there is LOTS of work, so if you have kids you'll need some help from your family while in school.
I know someone who graduated a year ago in Ontario, she said that the course there was hard too, she hardly had any free time. Now she works and makes pretty good money, so I wouldn't worry about that, there is a demand for RMTs and they are well paid. Also, you get to make your own schedule, which is nice if you have a family.
From what I've heard massage is hard on the body, but you will learn proper body mechanics while in school and if you apply what you learn then you shouldn't have problems. Sitting on a chair in an office all day is also not good for the body.
Good luck with trying to make this decision, and make sure that you have some support from family or friends if you decide to go to school!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

mx6 in Richmond, British Columbia

52 months ago

rmttobe in Surrey, British Columbia said: Hi, I just started a RMT course in BC, and so far I love it. I'm really fascinated to learn about the human body and can't wait to graduate and work in this industry. The course is pretty tough, there is LOTS of work, so if you have kids you'll need some help from your family while in school.
I know someone who graduated a year ago in Ontario, she said that the course there was hard too, she hardly had any free time. Now she works and makes pretty good money, so I wouldn't worry about that, there is a demand for RMTs and they are well paid. Also, you get to make your own schedule, which is nice if you have a family.
From what I've heard massage is hard on the body, but you will learn proper body mechanics while in school and if you apply what you learn then you shouldn't have problems. Sitting on a chair in an office all day is also not good for the body.
Good luck with trying to make this decision, and make sure that you have some support from family or friends if you decide to go to school!

Thanks very much, rmttobe. It is encouraging to hear that.
Do you have any idea how much a newly graduated RMT will make? Since the tuition is pretty steep in BC, I just worry if I can make up the money and the time I have invested. I am not young and it may be the last time I can afford to go back to school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kaylen in Surrey, British Columbia

52 months ago

Is there anyone graduated RMT school in BC and working in that industry nowadays? I'm also applying for the RMT course soon and kinda worried if there is no enough space for new grads. Some say the pay starts at around 8-10bucks which sounds pretty harsh. Anyone can tell the decent salary range in Vancouver area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RMTinTraining in Red Deer, Alberta

51 months ago

HI everyone!! I started my first year (1000 hour part time class)in january, to become an RMT. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! I love being able to help people.And there is so much stuff out there to learn! I am in alberta. The school is great, the teachers are amazing and so helpful!! And the cost for first and second year (a total of 2200 hours) will only be about $12,000 ish.. considering tuition, books, your table, linens etc.(it also included a trip to the cadaver lab, and first aid) I think it is worth every penny. We just finished mid terms :) I am very much looking forward to 2nd year and then furthering my education with some reflexology, and other things. I want to learn everything! One day at a time. Also, everyone has been asking about pay.. my instructor told me it depends where you work. Some places will charge you rent for the room, and that can be as pricey as renting an apartment! others pay by the hour (she mentioned one here in red deer only pays $9/hr) again depends where you go. More and more chiropractors are working with massage therapists now, as they should be! They will pay you a perentage. So do your research! I hope this has helped a bit, good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tara in Guelph, Ontario

51 months ago

rmttobe in Surrey, British Columbia said: Hi, I just started a RMT course in BC, and so far I love it. I'm really fascinated to learn about the human body and can't wait to graduate and work in this industry. The course is pretty tough, there is LOTS of work, so if you have kids you'll need some help from your family while in school.

Thank you so much for the advice. I definetly have alot of family support! I have decided though to wait until my 2 youngest are in school full-time (3 years) to take the course. In the mean time I am taking a medical terminology course and anatomy & physiology course online. Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mx6 in Richmond, British Columbia

51 months ago

Thanks very much rmttobe. It is very encouraging. Is the market very competitive? It seems like there are lots of RMT out there. Good luck on your course and future career. May be we will become colleague one day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jm in Toronto, Ontario

45 months ago

Tara in Guelph, Ontario said: Thank you so much for the advice. I definetly have alot of family support! I have decided though to wait until my 2 youngest are in school full-time (3 years) to take the course. In the mean time I am taking a medical terminology course and anatomy & physiology course online. Thanks again!

hahaha ok don't learn too much in the terminology/anatomy/physiology or you will be bored witless in a 2200 hr Ontario course. For example, the hardest question on my OSCE was which lowers blood pressure?
a. aldosterone
b. antidiuretic hormone
c. atrinatriuretic peptide
d. a and b.

obviously a and b increase BP. leaving c. nat = sodium, ur = pee. water follows sodium. the less fluid the lower the pressure.

this is really as hard as it gets. These courses are not hard if you do the reading and insist on understanding why.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Victoria, British Columbia

44 months ago

Hi, I'm just wondering. I'm thinking of taking an RMT course at WCCMT. How much is an income a year? Are there any federal government jobs within the federal government? Would it best to own my own business?

lmp in Lake Stevens, Washington

43 months ago

I am a licensed massage therapist (LMP) in Washington, with over three years experience. I am Canadian and moving back 'home' to BC this summer, and I wonder what $ I can expect to make as I am not a RMT? Also what kind of setting I can work in?
Thanks to anyone who can help me!

MissMia

41 months ago

I just graduated and am wondering if an employer offers me 9bucks an hour including tip is decent? Or what should I be asking?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

MountainView Wellness in New Westminster, British Columbia

39 months ago

MissMia said: I just graduated and am wondering if an employer offers me 9bucks an hour including tip is decent? Or what should I be asking?

We offer a lot more than that at our clinic! I wouldn't take that offer....

We offer a percentage, so for every session, you get 35% of it, so if an hour is $100 then you would get $35, which definitely beats that $9 per hour. Also, we provide full ameniities and don't charge you for that and already have an established client base for you to work on.

Be diligent when applying at different clinics because each one will offer you different rates and options.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

newcareer in Red Deer, Alberta

39 months ago

definately shop around! there is a shop in my city that also only offers a low hourly rate, and if it isn't busy she sends you home. We could make more workin at walmart if thats how it goes. HA. where i am working now, they offer me hourly rate as well as commission. So even on slow days im still getting paid. But everywhere has their own way. some rent you a room, but its hard starting out to be sure you have clientelle that will allow you to pay for the rent of the room as well as take home for yourself. Shop around!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Caleb in Kentville, Nova Scotia

37 months ago

This thread has been going awhile, but I thought I'd ask my own questions: I'm a male, Nurse, and have just decided I'd rather do massage. I will have to go in to debt with a student loan in order to do this, and don't think it will even cover all the costs. I am wondering if anyone has taken the CCMH course in Halifax, and if it's possible to work while doing this? I'm also wondering about males in the profession, as well as if the NS market is saturated in general with RMT? As 'WhyMassageTherapy' said above it's a good idea to get into a 'niche' market, however, as a new grad just trying to build a name, it will be tough to make enough money to pay back a student loan let alone take more courses for a niche market.

Anyway, I'm wondering about other recent grads from NS area and how they're doing today? Can Nova Scotia really support an extra 100 or so RMT graduating every year!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

massagermt.ca in Montreal, Quebec

36 months ago

Caleb in Kentville, Nova Scotia said: This thread has been going awhile, but I thought I'd ask my own questions: I'm a male, Nurse, and have just decided I'd rather do massage. I will have to go in to debt with a student loan in order to do this, and don't think it will even cover all the costs. I am wondering if anyone has taken the CCMH course in Halifax, and if it's possible to work while doing this? I'm also wondering about males in the profession, as well as if the NS market is saturated in general with RMT? As 'WhyMassageTherapy' said above it's a good idea to get into a 'niche' market, however, as a new grad just trying to build a name, it will be tough to make enough money to pay back a student loan let alone take more courses for a niche market.

Anyway, I'm wondering about other recent grads from NS area and how they're doing today? Can Nova Scotia really support an extra 100 or so RMT graduating every year!?

www.massagermt.ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

massagermt.ca in Montreal, Quebec

36 months ago

WhyMassageTherapy in Halifax, Nova Scotia said: Hi Tracy,

I wouldn't go so far as to recommend a school in ONtario or Alberta, but if you go to Ontario the standard is 2200-hours and you should do the CMTO exams. I would HIGHLY recommend that if you go to Alberta you choose a 2200-hour program as well, and then do the exams with MTAA.

For the other questions - as far as earning potential, I've said it before, if you can get a corner on a market by specializing (in an in-demand niche) you can eventually start your own business and rent space to others to cover your operating expenses. This takes business savvy, but I know a few former classmates who are making a gross income of about $80K. THIS IS NOT TYPICAL, but is definitely doable. I may make about 1/2 of that, but I have chosen to work at someone else's clinic. I have to say that after 10 years of practice I am happier than I have ever been, I love the people I work with, I enjoy my clients, I am busy, and the owner treats me with respect. AND, I am available for 25 treatment hours a week - I wouldn't go anywhere else unless I decided to specialize and open my own clinic.

As a massage therapist, you have to network and market yourself EVERY day, no exceptions, even if you work at someone else's clinic.

Best of luck to all aspiring massage therapists!

www.massagermt.ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Toronto, Ontario

36 months ago

I would like to take this course as well but I'm not good in biology I wonder How can we do well in this course is there any treat that you can share that will be appreciated learning anatomy and physiolology is very very hard?
Is that hard to find a job in the clinic in Toronto?

Thank you very much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

inna in Winnipeg, Manitoba

35 months ago

Can anybody recomend a RMT school in Winnipeg? Thanks
www.massagewinnipeg.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

massagestudentvernon in Toronto, Ontario

33 months ago

rmttobe in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Thanks for the reply, I wasn't sure if there is actually a shortage since I heard that from the school so I was not sure if they are not just saying that to get students.

Anyway, there are only two massage schools around Vancouver, so I don't think they're so desperate for students, I wanted to start in January but the class was already full.

It's nice to know that you were successful in the US although there are so many massage therapists. I think it's the same situation here in BC, people care a lot about their image, and they think that if they pay more for something than it must be better.

I just want to make sure that I can make a good living doing massage, because it's so expensive living here, and the education is long and expensive!

There are now 3 massage therapy schools on the coast(new Westminster, Victoria, and Vancouver) and one in Vernon BC. The reason there aren't many schools is because they're privately owned. Im graduating this coming January and have been looking for work and the only place I haven't found several listings looking for registered massage therapists is the town with the school. some places are booking a full calendar year in advance. there is demand but you have to do the schooling. it is unfair to the profession for people to do a weekend or couple month long course and call themselves therapists. also the board has just voted to bring down the 3000 hour requirement so it will most likely go back down to two years. most RMTs I know that are working roughly 4-5 days a week are making 65-140 thousand (gross) a year. It just depends how much you put into your work and if you have your own business with people working for your clinic or just working for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Courtenay, British Columbia

33 months ago

massagestudentvernon in Toronto, Ontario said: There are now 3 massage therapy schools on the coast(new Westminster, Victoria, and Vancouver) and one in Vernon BC. The reason there aren't many schools is because they're privately owned. Im graduating this coming January and have been looking for work and the only place I haven't found several listings looking for registered massage therapists is the town with the school. some places are booking a full calendar year in advance. there is demand but you have to do the schooling. it is unfair to the profession for people to do a weekend or couple month long course and call themselves therapists. also the board has just voted to bring down the 3000 hour requirement so it will most likely go back down to two years. most RMTs I know that are working roughly 4-5 days a week are making 65-140 thousand (gross) a year. It just depends how much you put into your work and if you have your own business with people working for your clinic or just working for yourself.

I am curious about your comment about lowering the requirement to 2 years. I was schooled in AB with a 2 year 2200 hour course and cannot be registered in BC because I haven't attended a BC school. However the city I live in doesn't have a school for it to upgrade. Do you know who I can talk to about this or is it just a rumor right now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

soon-to-be RMT in Vancouver, British Columbia

32 months ago

Diana in Courtenay, British Columbia said: I am curious about your comment about lowering the requirement to 2 years. I was schooled in AB with a 2 year 2200 hour course and cannot be registered in BC because I haven't attended a BC school. However the city I live in doesn't have a school for it to upgrade. Do you know who I can talk to about this or is it just a rumor right now?

it is possible to upgrade and then take the CMT board examinations to become registered in BC. Not sure how much the schools would charge but I know it has been done. The closest to you would be the WCCMT Victoria campus. It's worth looking into as it will boost your earning potential considerable. It's unfortunate that someone who has done a considerable amount of education has the same job prospects as someone who took a weekend workshop...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Seirra in Belleville, Ontario

32 months ago

I would like to provide my support and positive feedback for non-RMT masseuses. I regularily have massages and have used the services of both RMT's and non-RMT's. I have received good and not so good massages from both, however, the best masseuse I have ever had and which I continue to go to is a non-RMT. From my experiences, I do not believe that being an RMT necessarily makes someone a better massage therapist. I cannot say enough good things about the massage therapist I go to. If there is anyone in the Belleville Ontario area, who is looking for a fabulous masseuse, I highly recommend you visit her website at www.meridianmassagetherapy.ca and book an appontment with Tammy. You will not be disappointed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Syd in Vancouver, British Columbia

31 months ago

Can anyone give me a price range for tuition to get your 2200 hour certificate in Ontario? Thanks.

eelindsay in Etobicoke, Ontario

30 months ago

Syd in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Can anyone give me a price range for tuition to get your 2200 hour certificate in Ontario? Thanks.

Prices vary depending on school. Massage Therapy has become a popular course in most community colleges in Ontario. I was going to Humber College for a career in Physiotherapy/Occupational Therapy and decided to leave because it wasn't the type of rehab I wanted to do. Shortly after I left, I joined a private school for Massage. Now the private school ran about 25k. But I also did my course in 88 weeks--no break between semesters (that is NOT typical for private schools, mine just happened to work out that way) and there are no extra courses (English, or Humanities) you have to take, like with a community college. Just the courses you needed, which I would have had to endure the extra stuff if I went back to Humber because they added Massage Therapy to their roster the year I left. Now going to a community college the prices will be lower, text books will probably be the same price but the duration is longer. It can take anywhere from 2 years to 3 depending on the college and what your situation is (full time vs part time student). Research some Ontario Colleges. Humber College (www.humber.ca), Georgian College (www.georgianc.on.ca), www.centennialcollege.ca . There's also CCMH (www.collegeofmassage.com), www.sutherland-chan.com Those last two are considered private college. Even Everest College offers massage therapy.

Hope it helped.

Oh and keep in mind if you want to be a RMT in Ontario you have to take the CMTO board exams which run about $925 -- $700 for the practical exam and $225 for the written (multiple choice). You have three chances to pass both and yes, you have to pay each time you take them should you fail one section. If you fail the third time, you either have to do an approved refresher course or take the final year all over again, what ever the board recommends

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sueded in Granville Ferry, Nova Scotia

30 months ago

Hey Caleb in Kentville!! I'm a graphic designer who is making a career change and im also thinking of taking the Ccmh course in Halifax at Ccmh this fall. I've started my pre requisite courses and I'm pretty excited to go into the course this fall. I'm also terrified of the debt that is inevitable but I know it will pay off in the long run. I would recommend going to Ccmh to be student for a day. I did it back in January and it was amazing. Makes you realize how little we actually know about our own bodies. I started working at a physio clinic to get exposed to the similar atmosphere as a massage therapy place and it's helped a lot. I'm starting to pick up on terms and even correct the therapists spelling errors on reports ;) feels great to help people and teach them about their bodies and how to get better . :D good luck, maybe I'll see you this fall!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

darla in Chilliwack, British Columbia

29 months ago

Has anyone ever been trained as a massage therapist in Alberta and then attempted to take the board exam in BC to get RMT status via Credential and Prior Learning Assessments. www.cmtbc.bc.ca/registration-and-licensure/application-for-membership/application-for-credential-prior-learning.aspx

I'm looking at a program that offers different levels of training I'm thinking about the level 4- 2200 hours or level 5 - 3500 hours. I would like to eventually end up back in BC. What would you out there recommend in order for me to be able to pass BC board exams?

Jessica in Scarborough, Ontario

29 months ago

Hi, Guys:

Is there anyone can tell me which school is best to study RMT in Toronto, Sutherland Chan School & Teaching Clinic Or Canadian College of Massage & Hydrotherapy??? I'm headache for choosing these 2 schools.

Thank very much for helping!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anika Miller in North Vancouver, British Columbia

29 months ago

Hello,

What's the job market like in Vancouver, are there lots of jobs or is the market flooded with RMTs? I'm really interested in becoming a RMT, but with such expensive tuition I want to make sure there will be work when I graduate..

29 months ago

Hi, I am the one who started this thread over two years ago, I decided to go the RMT route and I have recently become an RMT! I can tell you that the school was very tough, a lot thougher than I thought it would be, and I basically had no life for two years, however, I think it was worth it. I really enjoyed learning about the human body and working with people.

I a now working at a spa, it was very easy getting a job after graduation. I am going to be joining a clinic as well in the fall. The market is not flooded with RMTs, there is definitely work out there. The thing with being an RMT is that you don't get paid unless you are working, even at the spa I only get paid per massage. Some days it's busy, and some days it is dead, so your income will vary, however, so far I am still making more money and working less hours than I was at my previous job.

If you have any other questions for me about school or anything else let me know, I know I had lots when I was looking into doing this, it is a big commitment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aew50 in Richmond, British Columbia

29 months ago

Hi rmttobe, I'm interested in doing the RMT course at WCCMT in New Westminster...is this where you studied?? If so, could you tell me how much the tuition is? I've heard it's steep, but I can't seem to find any info on it!!

Stef in Vernon, British Columbia

29 months ago

Hi rmttobe, I am also interested in becoming an RMT, right now I am half way done my first year at OVCMT in Vernon BC. Once I am finished the first year I will be a spa practitioner and an RMT if I finish the entire 2.5 year program with 3000 hrs. I was wondering if it is worth it to become and RMT or if financially I could be just as successful as a spa practitioner with my own business? I love massage and I know I want to work in a spa setting I am just unsure if its worth the money and time to be an RMT who works in a spa? Any information regarding this or advice while I am in school would be great! Thank you :) I also want to travel and was wondering about after becoming an RMT how many credits you need for continuing education? Do I have to continue gaining credits yearly? How does that work? Along with success on board exams, do you have an advice or tips?

29 months ago

I did the course at Utopia Academy, their tuition right now is almost $30,000 for the 20 month program. West Coast's tuition is probably in the same range, but their program is longer, 27 months, which is why I chose Utopia, I wanted to be done as soon as possible.
You should go by and visit all the schools before you decide where to go, so you can get a feel of which environment works best for you, then you can find out all details like tuition, etc. If you have more questions let me know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Coquitlam, British Columbia

29 months ago

Has anyone taken the RMT program @ VCC and if so, is it recommended?

29 months ago

T in Coquitlam, British Columbia said: Has anyone taken the RMT program @ VCC and if so, is it recommended?

Hi, I think the program at VCC is new, they just got accredited and are starting their first intake of students, so I haven't heard anything about it.

eliza in Vancouver, British Columbia

28 months ago

Hi rmttobe. I'm thinking of changing careers from the office to an RMT. I'm debating between West Coast and Utopia Academy. West Coast has been around the longest, but Utopia is closer to me. Seeing how I'll be dedicating 20 months of my life to this, I really want this to work (especially since I'm in it for the long run!)

Both are private colleges...were you able to claim the full time courses on your income tax at Utopia? Also, what did you like about Utopia? What did you dislike about Utopia?

I'm waiting to get more information from Utopia. West Coast has already replied to my inquiries, so I might get a private tour of their facilities soon.

28 months ago

Hi rmttobe. I'm thinking of changing careers from the office to an RMT. I'm debating between West Coast and Utopia Academy. West Coast has been around the longest, but Utopia is closer to me. Seeing how I'll be dedicating 20 months of my life to this, I really want this to work (especially since I'm in it for the long run!)

Both are private colleges...were you able to claim the full time courses on your income tax at Utopia? Also, what did you like about Utopia? What did you dislike about Utopia?

I'm waiting to get more information from Utopia. West Coast has already replied to my inquiries, so I might get a private tour of their facilities soon.

28 months ago

Hi Eliza, you can claim your tuition on your income tax at both schools. The reason why I chose Utopia over West Coast was that the program was shorter at the time, but it looks like West Coast might have shortened it as well. Also, another consideration was the class sizes, at West Coast they run very large classes (around 40 students per class), while at Utopia they only take about 20 people per class. It's nice to have the smaller class size, since it's easier to ask questions and to see the massage demos during class. Also, Utopia is a newer school, and all their equipment is new, they have electric massage tables and nice hydro equipment.
I liked the small family like environment at Utopia, and felt like I got a good education, now for the negatives, the library is small and the student computers are pretty much unusable, however, that didn't bother me that much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Thanks, rmttobe!

I was able to see both schools and talk to the administrators. It's nice that Utopia is closer to me, but the amount of extroverted eclectic energy exuding from the school overwhelmed me! Was it that crazy "in your face" pace in the classroom? I'm a more quiet individual, so the right environment is going to be the determining factor here.

Both schools have the same curriculum. Both schools boast a high employment and high board exam passing rate. Both schools claim to have knowledgeable and experienced faculty, etc.

Thanks again for your feedback. It's much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

asia lim in Montreal, Quebec

26 months ago

I have been a massage therapist for 3 years and when i start to advertised my services. Some pervs are calling for such happy ending and any touching. So i decided to studied esthetics for 1 yr and i just got my diploma last month. I open my business a month ago, renting a room in gym facility in downtown. For first month, is ok, i had enough but still troubling about marketing and improve my business skills. I add many services like waxing, facial and body treatment, mani and pedi but still hard to get more clients. I dont have extra money for advertising in newspaper or any big flyers. I tried to apply too to other spa. They like to hire me but they dont want me to keep my business because fear of getting their clients.

Is anybody there could give me an advice or ideas. I am very appreciate it. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vchaum in Ottawa, Ontario

26 months ago

I have been looking at the school's in the Ottawa area that offer the program and there is a VERY big difference--if anyone out there has feedback or advice or personal experience they'd like to share about the courses at Algonquin College and Everest college it would be helpful!. I am not looking to start the program until 2013, and have already toured both campuses. One significant difference is the cost of the tuition--Everest is significantly higher, however the program length is short, 20months vs 3 yrs for Algonquin. Another positive about Everest is the set schedule for the full 20month term--your school hours/classes don't change semester to semester. The feel for both campuses was nice, both had small-ish class sizes to offer. Another bonus for everest is that it is walking distance from my house OR if I drive, parking is free--Algonquin unfortunely is at the other end of the city and parking is expensive! Does anyone know where I can review the sucess of the programs and the percantage of students who actually have successful positions in their field of study for both these schools?

Thank you for starting this thread! Also thank you for the webiste "why massage therapy"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BLF in Toronto, Ontario

25 months ago

I have been practising for 4 years as an RMT in Toronto (at both a clinic and a spa) and am thinking of going to BC to work there in massage. I am wondering if anyone has gone through the cerification process in BC coming from a different province/country, and what their experience was like?

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.