Denied Massage Tech license=Denied Forever?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Jane in Corona, California

57 months ago

Here's the scenario

I applied for the CAMTC (California Massage Tech Council) license and got denied for "unapproved school" in March 2010.

At that time I was holding a regular city massage tech license. I submitted a renewal in Feb 2010 for 10-11 Year and got the a rejection letter TODAY stating the renewal is denied because I got denied by the CAMTC so it is considered "...denied by a city, county or state within 10 years prior to the date of application."

Thing was the school documents I submitted for CAMTC were also used for the regular city massage permit when I applied for the first time, which got accepted.

The city in which I was applying for doesn't accept CAMTC regardless if it's even approved. The city only accepts city-issued permits

It's so unfair the city denies me because I got my CAMTC denied.

I'm hoping to appeal because that's not right.

Any advice/comments are appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Therapist in Huntington Beach, California

56 months ago

Jane in Corona, California said: Here's the scenario

I applied for the CAMTC (California Massage Tech Council) license and got denied for "unapproved school" in March 2010.

At that time I was holding a regular city massage tech license. I submitted a renewal in Feb 2010 for 10-11 Year and got the a rejection letter TODAY stating the renewal is denied because I got denied by the CAMTC so it is considered "...denied by a city, county or state within 10 years prior to the date of application."

Thing was the school documents I submitted for CAMTC were also used for the regular city massage permit when I applied for the first time, which got accepted.

The city in which I was applying for doesn't accept CAMTC regardless if it's even approved. The city only accepts city-issued permits

I don't see where you were denied by a city, county or state because CAMTC is neither. You might contact Private Post secondary and ask them for proof your school was still approved when you graduated. If you get a letter from them that says it was, take that letter and the letter from CAMTC to the mayor. You may need to go to city council. You could take it to an attorney but it could be expensive.

You could re-apply with CAMTC once you have the private postsecondary letter, but you will need someone there to work with you on getting your application through and they are unreachable and unresponsive. However, you could send them the letter on the off chance you catch someone working.

Sorry for the sarcasm but I am having trouble with CAMTC as well. They are so awful, I think down the road therapists may be worse off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

greatmassage in Santa Ana, California

56 months ago

CAMTC is so screwed up. Looks like they're going down though. This new legislation will probably kill them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shirley in Huntington Beach, California

56 months ago

The Executive Director of CAMTC is going to be at a meeting in Van Nuys tomorrow. It costs $99.00 to attend. I am going. If you want to attend and share a ride from Huntington Beach, let me know. Shirley go@apollo123.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

babs19 in monterey, California

51 months ago

I too have been denied CAMTC certification even though I can document 30 yrs of practice as a Massage Therapist. I have always held permits/licenses issued by the towns I work in. The once accredited (now closed) schools that I went to in the 70's are not on their list of approved schools. Now I'm forced out of work because these towns require camtc certification. My only option would be to go back to school which takes 4months-2yrs & costs from $2200-6k. I don't have that kind of money. I know a lot of older therapists that are facing this dilema & in my opinion, this is AGE DISCRIMINATION & we should band together, find a lawyer & file a class action lawsuit. Look on their website & tell me if any schools from the 70's or 80's that are now closed are on their list, they are not. They are trying to help their own..the massage schools..but in the meantime, older therapists are without a job is UNFAIR & DISCRIMINATING.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

babs19 in monterey, California

51 months ago

I too have been denied certification through CAMTC because the formerly accredited (now closed) schools I attended in the 70's are not on their list of approved schools. I have been practiciny massage therapy for 30 years & can document it through taxes, licenses & permits that have always been issued by cities & towns. Now I am without a job, oh but CAMTC says I can go back to school. I don't have $2200-6k to go back to school & it is unfair that I can't work in this town any more. This is AGE DISCRIMINATION as it is only affecting older therapists who went to now-closed schools. I know a number of therapists in the same boat & we should band together & file a class action lawsuit for Age Discrimination. I emailed CMATC & got a reply 3 months later..their ineptness & misinformation, they are only trying to get $ for themselves by making people re-apply every time they get turned down & also are trying to help the Massage Schools who pushed this bill through. Something needs to be done & I hope there's a lawyer out there that can do it. Please reply if you would like to band together. It's an outright INJUSTICE to force therapists out of a job.

Tracey in Vallejo, California

49 months ago

Perhaps for people being denied by CAMTC, it would be beneficial for the CAMTC to develop a practical test (like Oregon has, I'm originally from Oregon) for the folks having these issues.

That way if the schools are closed and unable to be verified, the knowledge could be tested and confirmed. It could be a very practical way for long-term therapists to get certified if the schooling is unable to be confirmed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sunny12 in San Jose, California

49 months ago

My application was denied. CAMTC told me that the application due date has been expired. However I never received any notification by mail or email or phone. I have spent a lot of money went to school. The graduation date was a couple of weeks after the application deadline.

I was told that I have to wait for two years to re-apply.

Can anyone recommend a lawyer knows about CAMTC's discrimination when they deny the certification?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

michlmt in Berkeley, California

48 months ago

I haven't even bothered applying because I went to school in AZ. It is an accredited school and I have over 1000 hours of education, but it's not listed. Does that mean if you went to any school outside of CA that you can't work in CA?!? That is crazy!! I graduated only 7 yrs ago and the school is still thriving. What gives?
So, I will have to move to another state because of this if I want to legally work as a therapist? Has anyone had a similar problem or know anyone who has?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shirley, Apollo Correspondence Classes in Huntington Beach, California

48 months ago

michlmt in Berkeley, California said: I haven't even bothered applying because I went to school in AZ. It is an accredited school and I have over 1000 hours of education, but it's not listed. Does that mean if you went to any school outside of CA that you can't work in CA?!? That is crazy!! I graduated only 7 yrs ago and the school is still thriving. What gives?
So, I will have to move to another state because of this if I want to legally work as a therapist? Has anyone had a similar problem or know anyone who has?

If you read CAMTC's "Pathway to certification" you will see that they accept out of states schools.

Shirley, Apollo Correspondence Classes in Huntington Beach, California

48 months ago

Shirley, Apollo Correspondence Classes in Huntington Beach, California said: If you read CAMTC's "Pathway to certification" you will see that they accept out of states schools.

Whoops...forgive the misspelled word.

babs19 in Palm Springs, California

48 months ago

michlmt in Berkeley, California said: I haven't even bothered applying because I went to school in AZ. It is an accredited school and I have over 1000 hours of education, but it's not listed. Does that mean if you went to any school outside of CA that you can't work in CA?!? That is crazy!! I graduated only 7 yrs ago and the school is still thriving. What gives?

I would call CAMTC if you can get ahold of a live person. I have a friend with 1,000 hours who applied 10 months ago & still hasn't heard word from CAMTC (she went to an accredited Calif. school). Their excuse, too many applicants & not enough staff. Some towns require CAMTC certification while other's don't, for now, but on 1/1/15 it may be mandated & become law that every town be required CAMTC, so to get grandfathered in with 250 hours for massage practioner must be done before that date, after that date will be required to have 500 hours. At any time, any city can require CAMTC certification as in my town & is unfair to people who went to school years ago because old schools aren't on their list. Very Wrong.

shirley, Apollo Correspondence Classes in Huntington Beach, California

48 months ago

I've left this information before, but maybe I can explain it better this time.

When a school closes, we don't throw its graduates onto the funeral pyre. If we did, tens of thousands of doctors, lawyers, nurses, accountants, university graduates, technicians, wielders, truck drivers you-name-it, would all have to go back to school and the country would come to a screeching halt. Even though cities in general love to refuse massage licenses, they can't do so just because a school is closed.

Whenever a city, county or state licensing department needs to check on a school(open or closed) they contact Private Postsecondary. This is what cities in California do before granting you a massage license.

A Private Postsecondary department keeps a list of all the schools that were ever approved in that state.

Call Private Postsecondary, get a letter from them stating the period in which your school was approved. (You need the approval period because it has to coincide with the date on your certificate.)Send the letter to CAMCT and get someone there to act on it... remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I did this for a friend whose school was closed and she got her CAMTC certification.

( This is California's Private Postsecondary website www.bppe.ca.gov/.

48 months ago

You do not have to move to another state to work as a massage therapist if you went to an out of state school. I went to massage school in Oregon at an accredited school and I received my CAMTC certification as I had the appropriate credentials.

michlmt in Berkeley, California

48 months ago

Was your school in Oregon on "The List"? I just don't want to spend all the time and money applying when I will just be denied because my school isn't on "The List".
Thanks for the info.

48 months ago

I didn't see "a list" when I applied for CAMTC, three months after it came into being, however I did go to a nationally accredited school...so I assume it is on "the list."

LaToiah in San Diego, California

47 months ago

michlmt in Berkeley, California said: Was your school in Oregon on "The List"? I just don't want to spend all the time and money applying when I will just be denied because my school isn't on "The List".
Thanks for the info.

In the Pathways to Certification, Pathway H says the following:
holds a license issued by another U.S. state or Canadian province whose licensing requirements meet or exceed California requirements.

Did you work in AZ or just go to school there? I would try actually calling and speaking to somebody at CAMTC to see what they say. I would not try email because I sent an email and it took somebody a month to respond. The times that I have called and been able to get through to talk to somebody have been between Tuesday & Friday usually from 3pm to 5pm. I hope that helps you.

cc in Ontario, California

46 months ago

Jane, what school did you attend??

Donna in Land O Lakes, Florida

46 months ago

Are you licensed in AZ? My husband & I got our CAMTC licenses as we had were also currently licensed in Florida, even though the school's records were not availble thru the state of Florida. Hope this helps!

Big Jim - Old Jim in Anaheim, California

45 months ago

CAMTC is an administrative nightmare. I graduated a year ago from a highly rated University with 1,020 hours and I just received my CAMTC certification. Of course being 64, I could have died before I got my certification! I would suggest you join the AMTA and contact their government relations person in your area and go down that road, it worked for me.

When you have a bureaucracy, you have buerocrats who work for almost nothing and are afraid to make a decisions and they clog up the machine. Yes CAMTC is under funded and under staffed, but it is what we have to deal with, so I suggest you learn how to work the system.

Perhaps the road signs are out on the fly by night and still some how certified schools. Perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order.

Pattie Lake in Huntington Beach, California

45 months ago

I don't think underfunding is the issue. The CEO of CAMTC is going to get or is getting $348,000. per year and the executive assistant $144,000. Here is the URL from Magazine that talks about it. That's more than the Governor of California makes. He makes $206,500.

I guess all those applications fees add up nicely. So will the renewal fees later.

massagemag.com/massage-blog/massage-collage/2010/02/04/the-california-gold-rush/

Farm in Denair, California

34 months ago

Big Jim - Old Jim in Anaheim, California said: CAMTC is an administrative nightmare. I graduated a year ago from a highly rated University with 1,020 hours and I just received my CAMTC certification. Of course being 64, I could have died before I got my certification! I would suggest you join the AMTA and contact their government relations person in your area and go down that road, it worked for me.

When you have a bureaucracy, you have buerocrats who work for almost nothing and are afraid to make a decisions.

Perhaps the road signs are out on the fly by night and still some how certified schools. Perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order.

Yes I agree a clas action suit against the massage therapy council in California at least is in order as my wife went to a school which the council revoked its accreditation Just weeks before her graduation. So we call the massage council for advice, they said she must start over from zero at a new accredited school on their list,we found one on the list and called them back to confirm they said this was an acceptable school so she paid and attended. Months after her graduation the second school also lost it's accreditation and as the massage council was still Sitting on her paperwork at that time we then received a demand for "additional and persuasive " proof of her education.
We then sent them receipts for her housing and expenses as well as reams of home work and notes.
More months pass and we receive an intent to deni letter which does not state why she is being denied her massage license! CALIFORNIA MASSAGE THERIPY COUNCIL IS INSANE WE NEED TO FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAIST THIS REDICULIS ORGANIZATIN WHICH IS CLEARLY ABUSING THE POWERS IT HAS BEEN GIVEN SO AS TO LIMIT COMPETITORS (council member own massage companies)CONTACT farm@wildblue.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Chantilly, Virginia

34 months ago

REDICULIS? Maybe this is why schools need to be accredited. They need to meet minimal standards.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.