Here's how to put Massage Envy out of business.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (32)

massage in Kansas City, Missouri

66 months ago

Well 15 beats the 5 a spa offered when they came around to our school
cant remember the name of it something new to the Kansas city area
most of us laughed and walked out I didnt pay all that money for 5 dollars an hour they expected the clients to leave 85 dollar tips
And I agree all that we have to do to uphold are licence the non stop education,and the courses arent cheap you are right benefits should be offered by these places we are trained professionals

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Redmond, Washington

66 months ago

There are already a ton of franchises and that doesn't hurt massage envy one bit.

The only thing that will put them out of business is if massage therapists start refusing to take jobs there until there is better pay and benefits but that will never happen.

ME is a good place to start and learn and go on and set up your own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gardener in Washington

66 months ago

Julie in Redmond, Washington said: There are already a ton of franchises and that doesn't hurt massage envy one bit.

The only thing that will put them out of business is if massage therapists start refusing to take jobs there until there is better pay and benefits but that will never happen.

ME is a good place to start and learn and go on and set up your own business.

Those other franchises aren't competition because they don't offer great benefits.

A national company could still come along and offer great benefits to MTs. That would devestate the current massage member clinics.

I know someone who works at an ME and he said he's actually lost clients when they find out that the therapists don't get any kind of health insurance. Clients don't always wanna support that kinda business once they know their favorite therapist isn't taken care of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tommie Lee Jones in Elkhart, Indiana

63 months ago

Dear Fellow Therapist,

Since 2002, I have watched how this industry has became a joke. It starts with the Schools and then go on to the company's. The associations that suppose to have our interest, that supplies the insurances,etc These all are money making institues. I became a massage therapist because I wanted to aide in the suffering of mankind as well as earn a living for myself. However , I am noticing that we as massage therapist are not representing ourselves, the horror stories of working for $5, $10 etc...dollars a hour. Until we unite, have a voice on the deciding side of what our qualifications and salary, benefits, just graduating out of school should be, these horrors will continue. BECAUSE WE ARE NOT ORGANIZED AS A WHOLE!!!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE LEFT IT UP TO THE NCBMT AND OTHERS TO DECIDE FOR US. WHILE WE ARE BE BLOWN OUT.........................THE ARE MAKING THE BUCKS OFF OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

63 months ago

Tommie Lee Jones in Elkhart, Indiana said: BECAUSE WE ARE NOT ORGANIZED AS A WHOLE!!!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE LEFT IT UP TO THE NCBMT AND OTHERS TO DECIDE FOR US. WHILE WE ARE BE BLOWN OUT...THE ARE MAKING THE BUCKS OFF OF US!

Again I have to disagree. Individual horror stories happen because individuals don't have the guts to stand up for themselves to demand the respect and pay they are worth. Uniting is absolutely not an answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Landis in Clementon, New Jersey

60 months ago

Massage Envy is a large and wellknown franchise. If you are a customer searching for massage, one of the first web results you will get is massage envys website.

More massage therapists presenting themselves professionally, and with a stronger internet identity will really help your business.

Look at the website very recently created for New Jersey Massage Therapy out of Cresskill, NJ.

www.201wellness.com

This will give massage envy something to compete with.

If more people would promote their smaller businesses better, this will put larger franchises in an area of strong competition, whereas right now, they have none.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

inspiredpauper in Cedar Park, Texas

60 months ago

I work for Massage envy and have for 2 years... While $15 an hour is pretty rank, you get to build a clientelle and regulars tend to tip around $20 an hour. But you don't have to market for yourself, you dont have to provide your own sheets, oils, lotions, or biofreeze. You don't have to book your own appointments and they do all the advertising. Its GREAT! so to me, its a fair trade off...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Luis in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

60 months ago

The ultimate goal of a franchise is to make a profit by employing a system that works, as inspiredpauper has put it, a system of trade offs where those that benefit from them will take part in it, otherwise the system would never hold up.

It is just another example of how the wealthy with room for risk take a risk so that those with no room for risk don't have to take any, but this comes at a higher price than what one may consider "fair" because their goal is not fairness, their goal is "as much profit possible (or as permitted by therapists)".

There will always be therapists who permit such "exploitation" for lack of a milder word...specially those that have a very different personal goal...the goal to simply put their skills to work while helping others feel better, of course while attaining peace of mind in a secure and stress free environment, and enough profit to sustain their needs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Priestess in Elkhart, Indiana

60 months ago

I agree totally, As for the healers that we are, to take the low road of expoitation makes all of our training worthless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jesus aka cave man in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

59 months ago

i feel all of you and no one sticks together because no one wants to spend money starting a union is hard work from state to state money balls and time getting others to F&*&k Massage envy and all the money makers... lets do this

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Babyace in Montclair, New Jersey

59 months ago

I cannot believe that such a large business like ME does not offer benefits. I went to school at 47 years old in 2007, and already have my own benefits. I often told the younger kids in my school that is is imperative to get benefits and a pension plan. These businesses really take advantage of people. Not to mention a complete bulls@#$ per hour pay. I have a Part time job that pays more than that. Maybe I'll start my own franchise that offers benefits and a good pay. hhummm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ME Therapist in Glencoe, Illinois

50 months ago

I've been with ME for 3-1/2 years. It is up to each franchise owner individually to make the decision on whether or not to offer benefits. One owner in Naperville Illinois does offer health insurance - in Las Vegas, at least two locations I know of offer vision/medical/dental insurance after 3 mos. and 401k participation after one year.

The owner of my particualr location has said he will not offer insurance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

50 months ago

Joe Landis in Clementon, New Jersey said: Massage Envy is a large and wellknown franchise. If you are a customer searching for massage, one of the first web results you will get is massage envys website.

More massage therapists presenting themselves professionally, and with a stronger internet identity will really help your business.

Look at the website very recently created for New Jersey Massage Therapy out of Cresskill, NJ.

www.201wellness.com

This will give massage envy something to compete with.

If more people would promote their smaller businesses better, this will put larger franchises in an area of strong competition, whereas right now, they have none.

I agree- there is a need to up advertising! As a customer, it is very, very hard to locate a good MT- the ads in the paper and Craigs list and such are FULL of prostitutes- they need to be prosecuted! It makes it scary to try out new practioners if all you want is a massage. And spas and such are EXPENSIVE and not necessarily good quality. More effective advertising for legit practioners would be an a great benefit to consumers! One reason ME and other chains are doing well is that the give an easy to access, safe appearance for customers looking for massage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Janel in Charlotte, North Carolina

43 months ago

I can't even get a job at massage envy...I'm not sure what they want. :-(. Massage Heights is coming around though and they seem to offer great benefits...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Sacramento, California

33 months ago

Despite what may or may not be true about Massage Envy, the injustice of the way corporations treat their employees exist in all fields of work. Workers are constantly being exploited by different companies and we can't let that affect our work as massage therapists. If you're really unhappy at Massage Envy, it is possible to be able to build up private clientele at those locations when your clients like you enough. But like any employee underneath corporate ladders, it is possible to improve the conditions in where you work even if it is over time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

33 months ago

anonymous in Sacramento, California said: Despite what may or may not be true about Massage Envy, the injustice of the way corporations treat their employees exist in all fields of work. Workers are constantly being exploited by different companies and we can't let that affect our work as massage therapists. If you're really unhappy at Massage Envy, it is possible to be able to build up private clientele at those locations when your clients like you enough. But like any employee underneath corporate ladders, it is possible to improve the conditions in where you work even if it is over time.

Unions. That's the entire reason unions exist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jacob in Burlington, North Carolina

28 months ago

Babyace in Montclair, New Jersey said: I cannot believe that such a large business like ME does not offer benefits. I went to school at 47 years old in 2007, and already have my own benefits. I often told the younger kids in my school that is is imperative to get benefits and a pension plan. These businesses really take advantage of people. Not to mention a complete bulls@#$ per hour pay. I have a Part time job that pays more than that. Maybe I'll start my own franchise that offers benefits and a good pay. hhummm.

Exactly how did you manage to land a job as a massage therapist that includes benefits? Or did i read that wrong...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Babyace in River Edge, New Jersey

28 months ago

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. I am retired from my first career, and I receive benefits and a pension as part of my retirement. It makes me feel so bad that people cannot get medical benefits that easily anymore, and they are so expensive. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

frustrated in Little River, South Carolina

27 months ago

Massage Envy is the "WAL-Mart" of our profession. Assembly line massage with no room to grow to become better doing cookie cutter work for an insulting $15.00 an hour... Grocery stockers make more than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

myHolisticServices.com in Austin, Texas

27 months ago

We believe that the massage therapist should build their own clientele and stop letting this big franchises take advantage of their labor.
At myHolisticServices.com we enable the practitioners to hear about all the clients in the area and give them a chance to win the client's business. 90% of the money paid for the service goes into practitioner's pocket!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Frisco, Texas

24 months ago

I worked for ME for over a year. It is low pay and most of the time the owners do not care about the therapist. It is a great way to get a ton of experience , but also a great way to get burned out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

yaddah yaddah yaddah in Denton, Texas

24 months ago

All of the MEs are franchised owned so that means that every owner runs their clinic(s) differently. I hear lots of horror stories about lots of clinics but the owner of the ME that I work at is a really nice man. He offers benefits for therapists who work full time and pays for our massage insurance. Every therapist gets an opportunity to get a raise every six months. He also offers us free CE classes and reimburses us for the classes we chose to take because he cares about having quality therapists at his clinic. We get a lot of bonuses as well. He also provides advertising, receptionists to book my appointments, clean linens and all of the supplies I need. I have never been pressured to do more massages than I choose to do. The owner of my clinic knows that if his therapists are happy they will give great massages and that is how he runs his business. I'm sorry to hear that some of you have worked for ME and had bad experiences, but I don't have any complaints.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kiofornia in Sacramento, California

14 months ago

well, in sacramento they have dental visual and 401k, and they pay 30 an hour, but they work you more than you can and it's not really okay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

watchyourmoney in Burlingame, California

13 months ago

several young employees did not notice what some of us older wiser ones noticed. hundreds of dollars were removed from our paychecks. HUMAN ERROR? \
one woman said " wow I am missing three services from my paycheck" this spread like wild fire and everyone was noticing money being taken and skimmed the management would apologize and reimburse missing pay but for the young bucks who just do not pay attention at all they are out thousands every year!! BEWARE YOU CANNOT TRUST YOUR PAY CHECK MONITOR YOUR SERVICES DAILY...THESE ERRORS ARE TOO FREQUENT TO BE JUST ERRORS!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

watchyourmoney in Burlingame, California

13 months ago

myHolisticServices.com in Austin, Texas said: We believe that the massage therapist should build their own clientele and stop letting this big franchises take advantage of their labor .
At myHolisticServices.com we enable the practitioners to hear about all the clients in the area and give them a chance to win the client's business . 90% of the money paid for the service goes into practitioner's pocket!

paychecks not properly calculated noticed and unnoticed seems to be a theme have others come forth realizing their wages and tips maybe skimmed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

1683 in San Francisco, California

13 months ago

watchyourmoney in Burlingame, California said: several young employees did not notice what some of us older wiser ones noticed. hundreds of dollars were removed from our paychecks. HUMAN ERROR? .....

I agree with you WYM. I was with ME in Daly City for over a year. This location is owned by the same people who the own Burlingame location. Human error or unethical business practices, mistakes on paychecks are NOT acceptable. Furthermore, they lead you to believe that you will make a lot more money than you do by making you think that any hours spent waiting for clients will be paid at minimum wage. This is false. Every new person has that day when they realize that their non-massage hours are spent in the office unpaid. I've seen people cry, get angry, quit, or just get depressed over it. Sometimes it takes months before they realize it because the services log included with the paychecks are so confusing. I made it my mission to inform them of this as soon as possible because nothing sucks more than going into a new job with false hopes, only to be let down.

After a year with the company, I calculated my earnings against the hours I worked. After taxes my hourly income was $11.16 per hour-- including credit card tips. Not cool. I quit.

ME is great if you are a fresh graduate. You can gain more experience and confidence in just six months than you would in a year at most smaller spas. Nobody goes straight from school to a private practice or a well paid position. Spending some time gaining experience and developing your style in an environment where you aren't expected to perform advanced techniques or give a 5 star massage is probably a good idea. Just know that there are drawbacks. Lower your expectations, keep track of your services, and it may not suck as much to ripped off by the Man.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LMT in Flushing, New York

7 months ago

Tommie Lee Jones in Elkhart, Indiana said: Dear Fellow Therapist,

Since 2002, I have watched how this industry has became a joke. It starts with the Schools and then go on to the company's. The associations that suppose to have our interest, that supplies the insurances,etc These all are money making institues. I became a massage therapist because I wanted to aide in the suffering of mankind as well as earn a living for myself. However , I am noticing that we as massage therapist are not representing ourselves, the horror stories of working for $5, $10 etc...dollars a hour. Until we unite, have a voice on the deciding side of what our qualifications and salary, benefits, just graduating out of school should be, these horrors will continue. BECAUSE WE ARE NOT ORGANIZED AS A WHOLE!!!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE LEFT IT UP TO THE NCBMT AND OTHERS TO DECIDE FOR US. WHILE WE ARE BE BLOWN OUT.........................THE ARE MAKING THE BUCKS OFF OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen!

We are starting to mobilize. You can join us at www.facebook.com/groups/lmtsagainstthefranchise

We also have a petition you can sign as well at www.change.org/petitions/the-massage-franchise-increase-payrates-for-massage-therapists-decrease-lowballing-of-massage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LMT in Flushing, New York

7 months ago

ME is great if you are a fresh graduate. You can gain more experience and confidence in just six months than you would in a year at most smaller spas. Nobody goes straight from school to a private practice or a well paid position. Spending some time gaining experience and developing your style in an environment where you aren't expected to perform advanced techniques or give a 5 star massage is probably a good idea. Just know that there are drawbacks. Lower your expectations, keep track of your services, and it may not suck as much to ripped off by the Man.

Just so you know, I graduated in 2002 and my first job out of school I got paid $25/hr. It is only since the franchise came into inception that therapists can't get paid well straight out of school. It is a myth that the franchise created that therapists couldn't find work fresh out of school. They lie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LMT in Flushing, New York

7 months ago

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Again I have to disagree. Individual horror stories happen because individuals don't have the guts to stand up for themselves to demand the respect and pay they are worth. Uniting is absolutely not an answer.

Yes we have to stand up for ourselves but what about the younger therapists? The schools have left them with zero support and guidance and everyone needs good leadership and guidance to succeed in life period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

skin surfer in Pardeeville, Wisconsin

7 months ago

I think part of the problem, among many, is the high turnover/burnout rate for massage therapists. Those of us who remember the 'good old days' aren't as plentiful, those fresh out of school are entering into "recession mindset" and happy to be working. Do they just not know any better?

Did all these schools that popped out of the ground like mushrooms fail to teach them their value? Apparently they did. I was taught that I needed to earn a fair wage, and NOT over do it (no more than 20 hours a week TOPS, less if deep work) if I wanted to last, and I've lasted 3x the average therapist...for the most part, I've always made a decent wage...until...

Make no bones about it, I was a single mom and supported a family with my massage business...I can't even buy groceries and gas on what I earn now...and it breaks my heart.

Simple economics dictates that when an industry is hot, people are drawn to it like flies, and as massage became mainstream...so this happened, and rates, as a result, fell. I'm grateful the bulk of my career was before the economy tanked and before anyone ever thought of franchising bodywork. I think we'll see that people who can't feed themselves will leave the industry in droves over the next few years...and those who settle for crap wages, will bring down the overall quality and perception of the value, which is a shame.

I just wish massage pros would take as good care of their FINANCES and selves (you can't take care of yourself without money in modern day America, sorry folks, I don't care how spiritual, earthy, giving you are). An empty well cannot serve anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LMT in Flushing, New York

7 months ago

Great comment and point. Please join our group. We would love to have you. www.facebook.com/groups/lmtsagainstthefranchise

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

hobbity gobbity in Grand Prairie, Texas

6 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.