How much do you charge for bodywork, and why?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

nyLMT in Mastic Beach, New York

43 months ago

I am a female LMT, and live in Long Island. NY has a high requirement of educational hours for licensure and I put the time, money, and effort into my training. However, when I opened my practice 7 months ago, I spent alot of money, thousands, of my personal money to set up a nice, beautiful environment in a nice office building. I thought, if I charge $49 as an introductory rate, and $65 after as the regular rate, I would do well when I showed that not only am I a great MT giving amazing massages, but that I also cared about the clients needs. Now, I am closing down my business, sadly, because most of these clients didn't come back after I didn't agree to date them, or didn't come back after they realized that I do not give nude massages with happy endings. I had a few regulars that came back, but just not enough for me to pay my bills. New York only allows me to accept "no fault" insurance for car accident clients, but that's it. So now, I am so so sad, to invest into all that school, and put all that money into setting up the business, only to fail since most of these clients wanted sexual massages. SO FRUSTRATING! Now I am stuck looking for a new job, with a bad economy and employers that don't want to pay much.. ~sigh~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

lmorgan41 in Independence, Missouri

43 months ago

nyLMT in Mastic Beach, New York said: I am a female LMT, and live in Long Island. NY has a high requirement of educational hours for licensure and I put the time, money, and effort into my training. However, when I opened my practice 7 months ago, I spent alot of money, thousands, of my personal money to set up a nice, beautiful environment in a nice office building. I thought, if I charge $49 as an introductory rate, and $65 after as the regular rate, I would do well when I showed that not only am I a great MT giving amazing massages, but that I also cared about the clients needs. Now, I am closing down my business, sadly, because most of these clients didn't come back after I didn't agree to date them, or didn't come back after they realized that I do not give nude massages with happy endings. I had a few regulars that came back, but just not enough for me to pay my bills. New York only allows me to accept "no fault" insurance for car accident clients, but that's it. So now, I am so so sad, to invest into all that school, and put all that money into setting up the business, only to fail since most of these clients wanted sexual massages. SO FRUSTRATING! Now I am stuck looking for a new job, with a bad economy and employers that don't want to pay much.. ~sigh~

I agree with you a lot of these companies want you to work for practically nothing while they make all the money off your work. Like you, I too had a business. My problem was I just made enough to keep the bills paid I wasn't making much more so I closed my business after 7 months. I still have another full time job, but I don't make know where near as much as I did as a therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.