How much do you charge for bodywork, and why?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

Nunya Beezwax in Dallas, Texas

62 months ago

Miller Massage in Jacksonville, Florida said: For those who set their own prices, how much do you charge? What were your thoughts when you set your prices? Do you want to get rich or keep your prices affordable?

I charge $60 for an hour, $50 for senior citizens. I want to keep my prices affordable so everyone to afford at least half an hour. I prefer to live within my means instead of trying to get rich from a career that took 6 months of education.

I'm working on a business plan for my own business. It's kind of scary! I've just read Making the Switch to Being Rich and a few other books that teach the prosperity doctrine. It makes me uncomfortable with my diverse spiritual background. I'm no fundamentalist by any means but appreciate what Hebrews teaches, "Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have."

I also may have a moral dilemma charging maximum prices. What do you think about this, Sabeena: the more you charge, the more you want, the more likely you are to book clients for more massage than they actually need so you can get more. Money and healing conflict because healer may actually create needs that don't exist to get more money. Make sense or off base?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

62 months ago

I have one thing to say to you, Nunya:

BOOMER...............SOOONER! OU is my alma!

Now seriously, I had to think about your take on charging maximum prices. You may have a good point about healers. If your goals is to get rich healing people, you will find ways to extract as much money from their hides as possible. Chiropractors who set you up for 3 visits a week in perpetuity come to mind. Do we really need that much adjustment? Probably not. They create a false need to maximize their wealth, which is immoral and unethical.

My business is primarily luxury spa and relaxation. Right now I can't think of a moral dilemma charging the maximum price for luxury services. I do some healing work as well and do think about the healing aspects of relaxation. But there's enough optional luxury work to make it worth my time so I don't need to create an artificial need for necessary healing services.

My hypocritical behavior toward what I charge and what I pay bothers me the more I think about it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nunya Beezwax in Dallas, Texas

62 months ago

Oh God, not another rassa-frasssa-frickin-frackin %&*#%*%&! land-thievin' Sooner! Shoot me in the eye...NOW! I flunked out of TT but still must come back at ya with a big Hook 'em Horns! ;-)

Do you charge the same for relaxation and therapeutic treatments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

62 months ago

Nunya Beezwax in Dallas, Texas said: Oh God, not another rassa-frasssa-frickin-frackin %&*#%*%&! land-thievin' Sooner! Shoot me in the eye...NOW! I flunked out of TT but still must come back at ya with a big Hook 'em Horns! ;-)

Do you charge the same for relaxation and therapeutic treatments?

If I shot you in the eye, I couldn't razz you about the Big 12 Championship...when do you think the Ol' Cows will pull one out their chute again? Before the next century hmmmmmm? Beavo...it's what's for dinner!

I charge $60 for a basic deep tissue, Swedish or hot stone massage. For more advanced modalities such as Dalton, Hanna Somatics or spa services like aromatherapy, foot scrubs or salt glows it's $70.

Do you have a general part of town in mind or are you open?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kison in Lehigh Acres, Florida

62 months ago

I'm a retired nurse and charge $45 for the hour and $25 for the half hour. There is nothing about a massage therapist's training or treatment that makes it worth more than I made as a life-saving critical care nurse. Charging more is just pandering to the decadent crowd. Those are the types who financed their SUVs and Starbucks with the home equity loans they can't afford which caused the mortgage meltdown. I refuse to participate in the overspending scam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Pete Spairring in Renton, Washington

61 months ago

Miller Massage in Jacksonville, Florida said: For those who set their own prices, how much do you charge? What were your thoughts when you set your prices? Do you want to get rich or keep your prices affordable?

I charge $60 for an hour, $50 for senior citizens. I want to keep my prices affordable so everyone to afford at least half an hour. I prefer to live within my means instead of trying to get rich from a career that took 6 months of education.

Any massage therapist out there needs to realize that Obama's Health care system if passed will cause massage therapist to lose their jobs. If it is passed their will be no reimbursment by insurance companies and 80% of us in washington state and other states too will be out of a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Meagan Holub LMT in Seattle, Washington

61 months ago

My answer to this question might surprise you. I charge the going rate for any service I provide. I provide a lot of massage in other locations: homes, hotels, events. Each hotel asks that I charge a certain price, usually between $110 and $135 per hour. For my clients who prefer in-home massage the rate is based on local rates of $110-125 per hour, depending on how far I have to travel. (The other company in town began charging $135 per 50 minutes when the economy was peaked, I simply refused to increase my prices. Honestly, I feel that $120 is a good high-end fee, no more). Remember these rates are based on Seattle. There is a very high cost of living here.

I would charge more in larger cities and less in smaller ones. However, I would choose different routes there too. (I'd slash prices, get an overflow of business and refer to other MTs in less dense areas).

When I work from home I am often providing massage to friends and family. My rate runs anywhere from barter to $90 per hour, depending on what treatment the client needs.

I always feel safest when I branch out in many different fields of massage. My belief is that if one area falls, another sustains you. I think the current economy has proven that only the most versatile are flourishing.

Massage is not going to get you "rich". However, I am living proof that it can earn you a six figure income, and allow you to work less and play more.

www.hundredthousanddollarmassage.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KelticKell in New Holland, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

kison in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: I'm a retired nurse and charge $45 for the hour and $25 for the half hour. There is nothing about a massage therapist's training or treatment that makes it worth more than I made as a life-saving critical care nurse. Charging more is just pandering to the decadent crowd. Those are the types who financed their SUVs and Starbucks with the home equity loans they can't afford which caused the mortgage meltdown. I refuse to participate in the overspending scam.

As someone who is about to enter the field, I found your post inspiring!

I would love for you to tell me more about the field, how to find good clients, or any advice you might have. Do you have a liscense?

I appreciate your time,

Sincerely,

Kell

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

aa in Saint Petersburg, Florida

61 months ago

abodyworker in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I bill insurance $80 and charge $65 for cash clients. I fell into the trap at my old clinic of billing insurance excessively high rates ($150 an hour) because everyone else was doing it and I didn't think it through. Well the insurance companies put a stop to that. Now they limit reimbursement to around $80, or 75% of what PT's/OT's bill. They are absolutely right. You don't even have to go to college for massage and you can do energy work like craniosacral and reiki that have no foundations in the observable world. If you want to earn big pay then pay your dues and go to college and earn it. Don't just try to get rich quick off massage that hasn't even been proven to work.

if you think massage hasn't been proven to work ; you dont know much about massage and you shouldn't be practicing if you dont believe in your field . how do consult your clients if you don't believe in your trade...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brandon Wayne in Chicago, Illinois

48 months ago

6 Months? Maybe the reason you charge such a minimal amount is because you have such a minimal amount of education. When it comes to massage you get what you pay for. I'm guessing that your clients aren't getting much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Charging.... in New Holland, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

I went to MT school for a year and Physical Therapy in College before that for two years, and I charge $45 an hour and that includes me traveling to you. It's my belief that a good massage should be something that the average person can afford. Besides, I would rather have the work then have the client go somewhere else.
My clients are all very satisfied and some have had massages all over the U.S. Keep your prices competitive.
If someone really likes their Massage you will get a $20 tip, & then you have made $65 AND made them feel as though they are getting a good deal!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Millar in Portland, Oregon

48 months ago

Charging.... in New Holland, Pennsylvania said: I went to MT school for a year and Physical Therapy in College before that for two years, and I charge $45 an hour and that includes me traveling to you. It's my belief that a good massage should be something that the average person can afford. Besides, I would rather have the work then have the client go somewhere else.
My clients are all very satisfied and some have had massages all over the U.S. Keep your prices competitive.
If someone really likes their Massage you will get a $20 tip, & then you have made $65 AND made them feel as though they are getting a good deal!

I so agree with you. Problem is a lot of therapists think we charge too little and debase our profession because of it. What do you think about that point of view?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Albany, New York

33 months ago

abodyworker in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I bill insurance $80 and charge $65 for cash clients. I fell into the trap at my old clinic of billing insurance excessively high rates ($150 an hour) because everyone else was doing it and I didn't think it through. Well the insurance companies put a stop to that. Now they limit reimbursement to around $80, or 75% of what PT's/OT's bill. They are absolutely right. You don't even have to go to college for massage and you can do energy work like craniosacral and reiki that have no foundations in the observable world. If you want to earn big pay then pay your dues and go to college and earn it. Don't just try to get rich quick off massage that hasn't even been proven to work.

How can you be a massage therapist when you obviously have no faith in the benefits of it? Please quit now and stop making the rest of us look bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lmorgan41 in Independence, Missouri

33 months ago

kison in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: I'm a retired nurse and charge $45 for the hour and $25 for the half hour. There is nothing about a massage therapist's training or treatment that makes it worth more than I made as a life-saving critical care nurse. Charging more is just pandering to the decadent crowd. Those are the types who financed their SUVs and Starbucks with the home equity loans they can't afford which caused the mortgage meltdown. I refuse to participate in the overspending scam.

I have read and agree with some of the remarks about pricing 1 should never overcharge I also read something about a person going to school for 6 months?? Well I graduated from Heritage College, with a Associates degree after 16 months, classes were 5 days a week, 4 hrs a day so I would like to charge a price that I can live off of so at $45.00 for Swedish/Deep Tissue Massage, I personally don't see as a bad deal Considering I have the education needed to charge more yet I understand our current economy.. I also think, it's those who have limited skills in this area trying to get rich! Giving all therapist a Bad name.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Brandon Wayne in Chicago, Illinois said: 6 Months? Maybe the reason you charge such a minimal amount is because you have such a minimal amount of education. When it comes to massage you get what you pay for. I'm guessing that your clients aren't getting much.

The guy has 6 months of schooling and ppl pay him 60 bucks an hr, and over for a Massage?!?! I don't charge that and I have almost 3 times the schooling. That's hard for me to believe in this economy. When there is so many other ppl in the field charging cheaper rates. People lie about what they make an hr all the time.I'd like to know where this person resides cause if he can get that I can only imagine what I can get being a (Licensed Massage Therapist) with an Associates in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nyLMT in Mastic Beach, New York

33 months ago

I am a female LMT, and live in Long Island. NY has a high requirement of educational hours for licensure and I put the time, money, and effort into my training. However, when I opened my practice 7 months ago, I spent alot of money, thousands, of my personal money to set up a nice, beautiful environment in a nice office building. I thought, if I charge $49 as an introductory rate, and $65 after as the regular rate, I would do well when I showed that not only am I a great MT giving amazing massages, but that I also cared about the clients needs. Now, I am closing down my business, sadly, because most of these clients didn't come back after I didn't agree to date them, or didn't come back after they realized that I do not give nude massages with happy endings. I had a few regulars that came back, but just not enough for me to pay my bills. New York only allows me to accept "no fault" insurance for car accident clients, but that's it. So now, I am so so sad, to invest into all that school, and put all that money into setting up the business, only to fail since most of these clients wanted sexual massages. SO FRUSTRATING! Now I am stuck looking for a new job, with a bad economy and employers that don't want to pay much.. ~sigh~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

nyLMT in Mastic Beach, New York said: I am a female LMT, and live in Long Island. NY has a high requirement of educational hours for licensure and I put the time, money, and effort into my training. However, when I opened my practice 7 months ago, I spent alot of money, thousands, of my personal money to set up a nice, beautiful environment in a nice office building. I thought, if I charge $49 as an introductory rate, and $65 after as the regular rate, I would do well when I showed that not only am I a great MT giving amazing massages, but that I also cared about the clients needs. Now, I am closing down my business, sadly, because most of these clients didn't come back after I didn't agree to date them, or didn't come back after they realized that I do not give nude massages with happy endings. I had a few regulars that came back, but just not enough for me to pay my bills. New York only allows me to accept "no fault" insurance for car accident clients, but that's it. So now, I am so so sad, to invest into all that school, and put all that money into setting up the business, only to fail since most of these clients wanted sexual massages. SO FRUSTRATING! Now I am stuck looking for a new job, with a bad economy and employers that don't want to pay much.. ~sigh~

I agree with you a lot of these companies want you to work for practically nothing while they make all the money off your work. Like you, I too had a business. My problem was I just made enough to keep the bills paid I wasn't making much more so I closed my business after 7 months. I still have another full time job, but I don't make know where near as much as I did as a therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sean Slovik in Melbourne, Florida

30 months ago

First figure out what you are worth as per hour as an employee. That is how much your labor costs the business in total (hourly wage + payroll taxes + any benefits). Many business theories state that the cost for service should be about 3-4 times the cost of labor.

So if the cost for labor might be ($20/hour wage + 15% payroll taxes{$6} + no benefits)=$26/hour cost of labor x 3-4= $78-$104 per hour.

If you are not charging somewhere bewteen those numbers, your business will suffer and may die. For sure, it will never expand, because you will not make the reserves for expansion.

Hope this helps.

--Sean

www.occupational-therapy-brevard-fl.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kellsmassage in New Holland, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

You don't have to go to College to fix a car either....and look at what mechanics charge.
we are like mechanics of the body-which is arguably even more important than a car!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nogutsnoglory in Newtown, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

I charge $60 for an hour, $50 for senior citizens. I want to keep my prices affordable so everyone to afford at least half an hour. I prefer to live within my means instead of trying to get rich from a career that took 6 months of education .

For those of us who have made it a career choice and spent over two decades fine tuning our craft that you minimalize by your 6 month education...all I can say is you get what you pay for. I am passionate about what I do and chose to help people for a living while raising a family of five. And by the way, I don't know any massage therapists who are living in mansions soley on their own income, even with a fairer rate of pay. It must only be from ignorance that you posted such an inflammatory statement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

american

25 months ago

I think massage is needed , and all therapist should charge what they think are worth. I am not a chiro or doctor but my hands are a work of god and I do help people with their aches and pain as well as their sufferings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Indianapolis, Indiana

4 months ago

I charge $50 per hour for a customized session. I think anything less then this is too little. There are times I travel 30 min one way so by the time I return home I've spent 2.5 hours for a 1 hour session. When you divide that by $50 it's less then 25 per hour (unless you require tip, which I don't) not to mention the traveling costs. I personally feel that I'm charging to little for traveling but I wouldn't change my rates for existing loyal clients. I don't agree with the comment made by the nurse about how we shouldn't charge more then what she made. These are two different professions that require a different skill set. Yes, both are in the healthcare field but think about it... You go to a hospital and work 8-12 hours for say $25 per hour and you've made out well. It would take much longer to travel and do 8-12 hours of therapy in one day. Your time, energy, and education are invaluable. If you feel you should charge 80 and hour or even a 100 an hour, don't let people tell you you are charging to much. Consider your costs, set your price, and believe in yourself. If you are a talented healer/therapist who works very hard and are being fair, your clients will stick with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Irving, Texas

10 days ago

I have been practicing 27 years. I only charge $80 an hour. Often I get tipped $20 but not all the time. I know my work is worth way more but it's hard to raise rates. It's almost like one needs to uproot and start over somewhere at the rate they want to charge. I would like to be at $100 an hour, I book on the hour and a quarter so it's a full hour, and its mostly very specific treatment work I do. I understand lesser rates when one is starting out. It makes sense. But as you grow in experience and knowledge, it seems we should raise our rates. I know for a fact every therapist has trouble doing this and inflation happens. As to the people who practice who don't know if it works, it does. You just aren't there yet and your dues aren't paid thru college they are paid thru mentors, exchanges, classes, and the general passionate pursuit of perfecting your therapy. I can stop migraines, open your rib cage, get you breathing deeper, unblock your meridians, get rid of diabetic nerve pain in feet, stop people from needing carpel tunnel surgery etc. it's done by spending the entire time on the problem, not full body. Treatment work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Irving, Texas

10 days ago

Kat in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I charge $50 per hour for a customized session. I think anything less then this is too little. There are times I travel 30 min one way so by the time I return home I've spent 2.5 hours for a 1 hour session. When you divide that by $50 it's less then 25 per hour (unless you require tip, which I don't) not to mention the traveling costs. I personally feel that I'm charging to little for traveling but I wouldn't change my rates for existing loyal clients. I don't agree with the comment made by the nurse about how we shouldn't charge more then what she made. These are two different professions that require a different skill set. Yes, both are in the healthcare field but think about it... You go to a hospital and work 8-12 hours for say $25 per hour and you've made out well. It would take much longer to travel and do 8-12 hours of therapy in one day. Your time, energy , and education are invaluable. If you feel you should charge 80 and hour or even a 100 an hour, don't let people tell you you are charging to much. Consider your costs, set your price, and believe in yourself. If you are a talented healer/therapist who works very hard and are being fair, your clients will stick with you.

Hi... You are cheating yourself. You should be at $50 plus an extra $.50 per mile, both ways. which is standard mileage. After you consider gas and wear and tear on your car, even if you are a beginner this is too cheap. Having someone come to you is a luxury, there's extra work involved and set up time. At least raise the rates for new clients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.