MDS COORDINATOR

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

reflexologist in Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

I have been an R.N. for 20 years, with approximately 3 years in MDS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dee.mackinnon@gmail.com in Hanover, Massachusetts

61 months ago

dvargas2@roadrunner.com in Oxnard, California said: I am looking for an MDS coordinator to work for an assisted living facility must have RN or LVN to be considered. Flex hours + benefits...where is the best place to find these people?

I am an MMQ Coordinator and AANAC certified MDS coordinator, I am an LPN with a bachelors degree in psychology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gdparduhn3@gmail.com in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

dee.mackinnon@gmail.com in Hanover, Massachusetts said: I am an MMQ Coordinator and AANAC certified MDS coordinator, I am an LPN with a bachelors degree in psychology.

take your BA degree. . and try transfering it / applying for an ADN Advanced Degree Nursing. . it would'nt take much. . . prob less than a year or even a few months pending what school you go thru. . dont use a tech "" "" school . ..

many schools have "transition programs availible now.. or in the works. . JUST ASK. .

as an ADN your be refered to as a NURSE and classified as RN. . with that fatter check . .

sounds like you have ample administrative experience.. why not take it up a nocth , then maybe try doing home health, like running your own biz. .

its the original american dream.

(mopre money be your own boss. . blah blah. . )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

B Compton in Florence, Kentucky

48 months ago

gdparduhn3@gmail.com in Houston, Texas said: take your BA degree. . and try transfering it / applying for an ADN Advanced Degree Nursing. . it would'nt take much. . . prob less than a year or even a few months pending what school you go thru. . dont use a tech "" "" school . ..

many schools have "transition programs availible now.. or in the works. . JUST ASK. .

as an ADN your be refered to as a NURSE and classified as RN. . with that fatter check . .

sounds like you have ample administrative experience.. why not take it up a nocth , then maybe try doing home health, like running your own biz. .

its the original american dream.

(mopre money be your own boss. . blah blah. . )

I am soory, but are you saying that the Licensed Practical Nurse is not a NURSE? they are licensed just as the Registered Nurse is, this is just another example of the the division that is present between these 2 types of nurse Yes RN's have a bit more training, but in the time in which we live one needs the other, get educated about what you are saying before you say it. It is a true injustice stating that the LPN is not a nurse!

B Compton: RN BSN CCRN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

from the dept of labor. .

www.bls.gov/oco/ocos102.htm

Licensed practical nurses (LPNs), or licensed vocational nurses (LVNs), care for people who are sick, injured, convalescent, or disabled under the direction of physicians and registered nurses. (The work of physicians and surgeons and of registered nurses is described elsewhere in the Handbook.) The nature of the direction and supervision required varies by State and job setting.

-----now something about RN's www.bls.gov/oco/ocos083.htm

Registered nurses (RNs), regardless of specialty or work setting, treat patients, educate patients and the public about various medical conditions, and provide advice and emotional support to patients' family members. RNs record patients' medical histories and symptoms, help perform diagnostic tests and analyze results, operate medical machinery, administer treatment and medications, and help with patient follow-up and rehabilitation.

RNs teach patients and their families how to manage their illnesses or injuries, explaining post-treatment home care needs; diet, nutrition, and exercise programs; and self-administration of medication and physical therapy. Some RNs may work to promote general health by educating the public on warning signs and symptoms of disease. RNs also might run general health screening or immunization clinics, blood drives, and public seminars on various conditions.

When caring for patients, RNs establish a care plan or contribute to an existing plan. Plans may include numerous activities, such as administering medication, including careful checking of dosages and avoiding interactions; starting, maintaining, and discontinuing intravenous (IV) lines for fluid, medication, blood, and blood products; administering therapies and treatments; observing the patient and recording those observations; and consulting with physicians and other healthcare clinicians.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

more to the point. . .

Some RNs provide direction to licensed practical nurses and nursing aides regarding patient care. (See the statements on licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses; nursing and psychiatric aides; and home health aides elsewhere in the Handbook). RNs with advanced educational preparation and training may perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures and may have prescriptive authority.

pecific work responsibilities will vary from one RN to the next. An RN’s duties and title are often determined by their work setting or patient population served. RNs can specialize in one or more areas of patient care. There generally are four ways to specialize. RNs may work a particular setting or type of treatment, such as perioperative nurses, who work in operating rooms and assist surgeons. RNs may specialize in specific health conditions, as do diabetes management nurses, who assist patients to manage diabetes. Other RNs specialize in working with one or more organs or body system types, such as dermatology nurses, who work with patients who have skin disorders. RNs may also specialize with a well-defined population, such as geriatric nurses, who work with the elderly. Some RNs may combine specialties. For example, pediatric oncology nurses deal with children and adolescents who have cancer. The opportunities for specialization in registered nursing are extensive and are often determined on the job.

There are many options for RNs who specialize in a work setting or type of treatment.

Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement About this section

The three typical educational paths to registered nursing are a bachelor's degree, an associate degree, and a diploma from an approved nursing program. Nurses most commonly enter the occupation by completing an associate degree or bachelor's degree program.

47 months ago

********************************************************************************
Many RNs with an ADN or diploma later enter bachelor's degree programs to prepare for a broader scope of nursing practice. Often, they can find an entry-level position and then take advantage of tuition reimbursement benefits to work toward a BSN by completing an RN-to-BSN program. Accelerated master's degree in nursing (MSN) programs also are available. They typically take 3-4 years to complete full time and result in the award of both the BSN and MSN.

There are education programs available for people interested in switching to a career in nursing as well. Individuals who already hold a bachelor’s degree in another field may enroll in an accelerated BSN program. Accelerated BSN programs last 12 to 18 months and provide the fastest route to a BSN for individuals who already hold a degree. MSN programs also are available for individuals who hold a bachelor's or higher degree in another field; master’s degree programs usually last 2 years.

All nursing education programs include classroom instruction and supervised clinical experience in hospitals and other healthcare facilities. Students take courses in anatomy, physiology, microbiology, chemistry, nutrition, psychology and other behavioral sciences, and nursing. Coursework also includes the liberal arts for ADN and BSN students.

Median annual wages of licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses were $39,030 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $33,360 and $46,710. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $28,260, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $53,580.

Median annual wages of registered nurses were $62,450 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $51,640 and $76,570. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $43,410, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $92,240.

47 months ago

It is a true injustice stating that the LPN is not a nurse!

dont read between any lines, they're are none, i never said a LPN is not a nurse, i know people in the proffession, and administration alike, small business owners with home health agencies, its a clear trend at least in some states that LPN and LVN's alike will not see the high paying positions, or have as many options ( again in some states) as larger hospital chains branch out and stop hiring lesser certified individuals. (some for liability reasons i hear, some for money) Unless they move up the food chain , most with 1 -to 1 1/2 year certifications and no 2 year degree will have to specialize or move up, unless they only want nursing home and assisted living positions. Some do and thats great, for other who want a change before burning out or getting bored, ask around.

everyone can agree on that. What I did clearly state is that there are many programs and options to choose from should one look into it. Some hospitals even have their own training programs.

personally , the only difference I see is pay grade, and responsibility. (don't forget stress level) I believe it is the larger employers for now that set any " division" between the two levels, and of course the stock of licensed individuals they have to choose from...

It is really and truly up to the individual to establish themselves as responsible, articulate, and accurate in their role so that they and we can show that a name tag sometimes really is just a piece of plastic and not a measure of specific knowledge or character.

Theresa LPN GN in Muskegon, Michigan

46 months ago

wow! gdparduhn3@gmail.com I think that was well said. I myself have been an LPN for 13 years, and it is a simple fact... we are not looked at as "true" nurses as times. And you are certainly correct, with only having your LPN you are limited. Even if you could do the job, you may not even get a glance. I have had patients ask me if I was an RN or LPN, and when I say LPN they want to know who is going to be the real nurse.. Not that that happens a lot. But it does. I do not think of myself or other LPN's as not real nurses. But the general public has a lack of knowledge or understanding in regards to what LPN's do. Even the description that you found for what an LPN does is vague at best. This leads to the lack of knowledge of the scope of practice of an LPN.
I knew that to get past the obstacles and open more opportunities I had to do just what you suggested.. go back to school. I did, and I am ready to take my boards in a few weeks. I already have a new RN job lined up, that I could not have gotten as an LPN. So.. for the people bashing for your advice.. well honestly its good advice, and accurate.

dee.mackinnon@gmail.com in South Weymouth, Massachusetts

46 months ago

I am looking for consulting/part time/temporaqry MDS PPS positions in Massachusetts. I am AANAC certified and have taken the Harmony Healthcare 3 day intensive MDS 3.0 course. Dee Mackinnon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

gdparduhn3 in Houston, Texas

46 months ago

Thanx.

Good luck on the boards and keep moving forward .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.