Should Medical Assistants have a Lincense to practice under their scope of practice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 98)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Kat in Arlington, Texas

58 months ago

Regulation, yes. Licensing, maybe... This would mean that MAs would have to complete mandated education from accredited and approved program by the licensing agency. The curriculum taught would be regulated and minimum standard maintained just as with nursing or other medical professions. This would greatly limit the number of people entering the MA profession. As of now, there about about 30 schools in my area churning out MAs and making big bucks off of it. That would probably mean a serious loss of money for these "career colleges" who operate with little regulation. I doubt most physicians would support this. I think at a minimum, mandatory certification should be required.

Expanding one's scope of practice such as allowing IVP meds without the education is downright dangerous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Layton. in Sandy, Utah

58 months ago

Kat in Arlington, Texas said: Regulation, yes. Licensing, maybe... This would mean that MAs would have to complete mandated education from accredited and approved program by the licensing agency. The curriculum taught would be regulated and minimum standard maintained just as with nursing or other medical professions. This would greatly limit the number of people entering the MA profession. As of now, there about about 30 schools in my area churning out MAs and making big bucks off of it. That would probably mean a serious loss of money for these "career colleges" who operate with little regulation. I doubt most physicians would support this. I think at a minimum, mandatory certification should be required.

Expanding one's scope of practice such as allowing IVP meds without the education is downright dangerous.

Hello there, I thank you for your response. I believe that with the many MA's fresh out of school that there should be some kind of regulations put on them even if it means going back to school for a little while longer...so that they will be better out the field. It is always a good thing to expand one's skills and I agree with you completely. Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

ptabby in Jackson Heights, New York said: Absolutely not. Their education level and scope of practice is not anywhere up near there. That's why there are LICENSED Practical Nurses and REGISTERED Nurses. There's no easy way around it. They would have to compete with a few hundred people for the chance to have a seat in a 15 spot program.

Medical Assistant school is completely different from that. I just don't understand why they feel their status is so much higher than it really is...not to sound mean.

Hi there, I hope your Thanksgiving was a good one? And thank you for replying to my posting. I do agree that the licenses should be for Nurses and LPN's...and the new Medical Assistants coming out of school should have extra traing like on their externship being extended and maybe a license a few years down the road. I'm not trying to say that all of us Medical Assistants are bad. If were we put under a lincense with what ever state we are I believe it would make us more marketable and would it make a lot of us more proud of job that we do...and continuing our education is a good thing. I think Nurses and LPN's are pretty awesome and so are us Medical Assistants are awesome as well. I do thank you all for all your answers to my question have a nice weekend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ptabby in Jackson Heights, New York

57 months ago

Thanks. I guess I came off sounding harsh. I think it would be great to be an MA. If I could afford to..I would be one. But, for me, at least, money is an issue. I need to make enough for different things.

I think what I meant was--some people might look @ it like " Medical Assistants want licensing...? For that, become an LPN". An LPN is kind of like the next step up, and I'm sure their license has a lot to do with them being paid more and having a more difficult school load.

It's just my thought that if they start licensing Medical Assistants, they will have to bring their education standards up drastically, and it will be much more competitive to become one..or even get into a school for it. And for that, they would be doing the same thing as an LPN (if they are going to give them more responsibly etc.)...so why not just become an LPN?

Have a nice day. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

ptabby in Jackson Heights, New York said: Thanks. I guess I came off sounding harsh. I think it would be great to be an MA. If I could afford to..I would be one. But, for me, at least, money is an issue. I need to make enough for different things.

I think what I meant was--some people might look @ it like " Medical Assistants want licensing...? For that, become an LPN". An LPN is kind of like the next step up, and I'm sure their license has a lot to do with them being paid more and having a more difficult school load.

It's just my thought that if they start licensing Medical Assistants, they will have to bring their education standards up drastically, and it will be much more competitive to become one..or even get into a school for it. And for that, they would be doing the same thing as an LPN (if they are going to give them more responsibly etc.)...so why not just become an LPN?

Good morning, I'm pretty happy where I'm at. Maybe down the road it will happen...I'm in no rush. I'm a CMA (Certified Medical Asistant). I enjoy being a Medical Assistant it has given myself andmy family a better life. Have a great day.

57 months ago

Definitely. I'm not telling MAs to become nurses or vice versa. I was just referring to the licensing issue. Take Care

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

55 months ago

SORRY TO ALL OF THE ABOVE. I AM THE ONE WHO BEGAN PETITION, I HAVE 650,000 NAMES. NATIONAL COLLEGE OF LABOR, I AM CURRENTLY WORKING WITH HOUSE OF LEGISLATION AND CONGRESS TO MANDATE IF YOU PRACTICE AS A MEDICAL ASSISTANT IN WHATEVER STATE YOU MUST BE LICENSED. NO DIFFERENT THAN A LPN OR RN. RIGHT NOW NO STATE MANDATES OR CONTROLS THE MA ENVIROMENT. THE ACCREDITED SCHOOLS OF TODAY ENSURE THE CIRRCULUM WILL GET THEM READY, FOR EX: I HAVE HAD LPN/RN THAT I HAVE RAN CIRCLES AROUND IN THE CLINICS. MEDICAL ASSISTANT ARE WELL READY TO TAKE THE TEST OR NOT PRACTICE. IT SHOULD BE THAT SIMPLE IF NO SCHOOL WAS GONE THRU THEY CAN GRAND-FATHER IN BUT STILL MUST TAKE THE LIC TESTURE. THIS IS TO MAKE THE PROFESSION WE WORK IN RESPECT AND PAID ACCORDINGLY AND THERE WILL BE A HUGH INCREASE TO THE PAY. SHOULD YOU NEED TO CONTACT ME. HEAVENDELIGHT@AOL.COM
IN SOLIDARTY
SARAH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

~rose~ in Corona, New York

55 months ago

You can try to get around it in as many forms as possible. If you want the pay, respect, stability, and job opportunities- you need to apply to nursing school. Unfortunately it really IS that simple.
Right now the economy is suffering. Nurses are being paid a lot less because foreign nurses are being brought in. What makes you think MA salaries are going to rise? Quite the contrary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

55 months ago

KEEP IN MIND- THE PIECE OF PAPER YOU HAVE (MA, RN) DOESN'T DO THE JOB/TASK GIVEN. THE INDIVIUAL DOES. YOU CAN BELIEVE ESPECIALLY WHERE I AM THE PAY HAS BEEN STEADING RISING AND I WILL CONTINUE TO FIGHT- I SEE A $2-$4 INCREASE ESPECIALLY IN THE CLINICAL SETTING. WHY SHOULD A MA MAKE LESS THAN OTHER EMPLOYEES AND THEY ARE DOING THE SAME JOB, TASK, JOB DISCRPITION IS THE SAME. BEEN THERE AND DONE IT. AND QUITE FRANKLY, DID IT BETTER THAN THE OTHER ASSOCIATE. THE RMA, CMA, RCMA W/ XRAY LIC. ARE REPLACING THE LPN, LVN- THEY WILL EVENTALLY BE OUT. RIGHT NOW COMPARED TO 10 YRS AGO, THERE WERE 12 LPN SCHOOLS HERE NOW, THERE ARE 2. ONE BEING A COMMUNITY COLLEGE. THE CIRRCULUM I REC'D OUT OF THE YEAR AT SCHOOL FOCUS ON CLINICAL PERFORMANCE WE HAVE LAB- VENIPUNCTURE 2 HRS NIGHTLY- 5 DAYS A WK, 12 MONTHS, THERE WAS ONE CHAPTER ON FRONT OFFICE- SO I AM NOT SURE WHY SOCIETY GETS MA AND MOA CONFUSED THEY ARE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT STUDY..
I HAVE A PASSION FOR NURSING HOWEVER I DO NOT ENJOY HOSP WORK. I ENJOY CLINICAL SETTING URGENT CARE, FAMILY PRACTICE, MINOR SURGERY ETC--
**AT THE END OF THE DAY:**IF I WANTED TO WORK IN HOSP THEN YES I WOULD GO BACK AND GET THE R.N. I REC'D MY IV CERTIFICATION IN 1993-MY STATE.I HAVE STARTED MANY. I HAVE PRIVELGES AT HOSP WHEN THE MD NEEDS ME TO MAKE ROUNDS AND CHART FOR HIM I DO SO.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF THE RMA, CMA- AND REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR CEU'S UP- AAMA, NCPPT ETC ALL OF THESE CAN HELP YOU.
IN THE FUTURE OF OUR CAREERS I WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE FORWARD,

RESPECTFYLLY,
SARAH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SMOORE7382

54 months ago

CONGRADULATIONS TO THE STATE OF TENNESSEE. THE SENATE AND LEGISLATION IS CURRENTLY REVIEW THE NEED FOR ALL CMA/RMA/RCMA TO BE STATE LICENSE.
WHAT AN HISTORIC EVENT AND VICTORY WILL BE OURS VERY SOON. WE DO HAVE A VOICE AND WE HAVE PRACTICE IT TO THE EXTENT OF LAW MAKERS LISTENING. I AM SURE BY THE END OF THE MONTH IT WILL BE PLACED IN LAW.
GREAT JOB!!

RESPECTFULLY,
SARAH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

COLA48 in Columbia, South Carolina

54 months ago

ptabby in Jackson Heights, New York said: Thanks. I guess I came off sounding harsh. I think it would be great to be an MA. If I could afford to..I would be one. But, for me, at least, money is an issue. I need to make enough for different things.

Hello I just graduated as a Medical Assistant and while in school I was told we will be replacing LPNs simply because we have learned how to do Iv's and injections, from what I was told LPNs don't have that experience unless they have been working along time for there doctor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pam w in Murrieta, California

54 months ago

COLA48 in Columbia, South Carolina said: Hello I just graduated as a Medical Assistant and while in school I was told we will be replacing LPNs simply because we have learned how to do Iv's and injections, from what I was told LPNs don't have that experience unless they have been working along time for there doctor.

You have been told wrong. I can draw blood, give injections just as well as any MA and I have not worked in a doctor's office. Those skills are not very difficult and LVN's have a much broader knowledge base than MA's therefore nurses cannot be replaced by MA's. LVN's also typically do not work in a doctor's office, MD's do not want to pay the higher salary and they can train the MA to do what they want the way they want it done. Nurse's have to work under their scope of practice/license.

smoore7382

54 months ago

Hearing and reading your replys. I work in the State Of Tn.I am working very closely to have it a LAW/BILL IN WHICH IF YOU PRACTICE IN YOUR SCOPE OF MEDICAL ASSISTING YOU MUST BE LICENSED BY THE NCBN (NURSING BOARD WHICH ALSO ARE LIC) IF YOU ARE A CMA, RCMA, RMA- IT IS A NEED THAT THEY BE LICENSED DUE TO THE ACCOUNTIBILITY OF THE WORKER. THE CWA-AFA IS WORKING WITH ME TO GET THIS LAW PASSED. I HAVE WORKED WITH RN'S LPNS, MA- THE STUDIES AND FOCUS ON THE MEDICAL ASSISTING SCOPE THAT IS TAUGHT IN CLASS/CLINIAL/ROTATIONS- ARE VERY VERY SIMULAR OF THAT OF LPN'S IN OUR STATE. LPNS, RNS, DO NOT FOCUS ON PHELEBOTMY, OTHER THAN IV- MOST MA ARE GEARED TOWARD MD'S OFFICE, CLINICAL SETTINGS, URGENT CARE, THEY ARE TRAINED TO HANDLE ALL ASPECT OF THE CLINICAL RESPONSIBLITY IN THE BACK OFFICE OF A MEDICAL CENTER. WHEN THE BILL IS PASSED IN OUR STATE THE NEED OF MA'S WILL BE MORE UTILIZED IN HOSP, AND OTHER HEALTH CARE SETTINGS. THE MEDICAL ASSISTING PROGRAMS IN OUR STATE ARE APPROX 10 MONTHS LONG AND VERY INTENSE. WITH 2 HRS OF LAB BOTH INVASIVE AND NON-INVASE PROCEDURES. I BELIEVE AFTER LOOKING AT THE STANDARDS OF JCACO- COMMISSION OF HIGHER EDUCATION: IT IS BEING LOOKED AT NOW. COMPARED TO 10 YEARS AGO THERE WERE 12 LPNS SCHOOL IN MEMPHIS, TN NOW WE HAVE 3. THERE ARE 5 DEDICATED MEDICAL ASSISTING PROGRAMS IN OUR CITY NOW. THE COMMONISSER OF NURSING IS ALSO INVOLVED AND LOOKING AND STUDY THE SIMIARLITIES OF LPN/LVN AND MEDICAL ASSISTING BOTH CERTIFIED OR REGISTER. AAMA, NCPPT. ARE ALL INVOLVED. ONCE THE RULING IS MADE- ESPECIALLY IN STATE OF TN. I KNOW THE PAY SCALE WILL RISE, THE NEED OF REGISTED/LIC MEDICAL ASSISTANT WILL BE IN DEMAND. BOTH HOSP/CLINICAL/PHYSICIAN OFFICES. BE PATIENT IF YOU ARE INTERESTED STUDY THE CLEP, GO TO THE WEB SITE OF NURSING BOARD LICSURE AND CHALLENGE THE NURSING BOARD, I DID AND WAS VERY SUCCESSFUL. I HAVE PUT ON THE TABLE SEVERAL ISSUES TO LOOK AT AND ENHANCE THE WIDE OPENINGS FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANT IN OUR ENTIRE STATE..
RESPECTFULLY
SARAH MOORE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

54 months ago

Matt in Layton. in Sandy, Utah said: Good morning, I'm pretty happy where I'm at. Maybe down the road it will happen...I'm in no rush. I'm a CMA (Certified Medical Asistant). I enjoy being a Medical Assistant it has given myself andmy family a better life. Have a great day.

KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB, LEARN AND APPLY YOURSELF. YOU WILL GO FAR, IN THE END CMA JOBS WILL BE A DIME A DOZEN AND YOU WILL SUPERCEDE YOUR OWN EXPECTATIONS. I AM PROUD OF YOU. YOU HELP CARRY DEDICATED CMA'S AND THEIR PASSION FOR TAKING CARE OF THEIR PATIENTS. JUST A NOTE: BE LIKE A SPONGE AND ABSORB ALL YOU CAN LEARN AND THEN APPLY.
SARAH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

54 months ago

Matt in Layton. in Sandy, Utah said: Good morning, I'm pretty happy where I'm at. Maybe down the road it will happen...I'm in no rush. I'm a CMA (Certified Medical Asistant). I enjoy being a Medical Assistant it has given myself andmy family a better life. Have a great day.

TO TEXAS: YOU ARE CORRECT BUT THERE IS CHANGE COMING ALL MEDICAL ASSISTINGS WAY--THE SCHOOLS IN WHICH OFFER THE COURSE WILL HAVE TO UP THEIR STANDARDS OR STEP OUT. GREAT POINT BUT MEDICAL ASSISTANT DESERVE TO BE LICENSED JUST LIKE RN,LPN,LVN ETC. MAINLY DUE TO ACCOUNTIBILTY.
RESPECTFULLY,
SARAH MOORE
RCMA
LX
VP LEC86 CWA-AFA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

54 months ago

Matt in Layton. in Sandy, Utah said: Hi there, I hope your Thanksgiving was a good one? And thank you for replying to my posting. I do agree that the licenses should be for Nurses and LPN's...and the new Medical Assistants coming out of school should have extra traing like on their externship being extended and maybe a license a few years down the road. I'm not trying to say that all of us Medical Assistants are bad. If were we put under a lincense with what ever state we are I believe it would make us more marketable and would it make a lot of us more proud of job that we do...and continuing our education is a good thing. I think Nurses and LPN's are pretty awesome and so are us Medical Assistants are awesome as well. I do thank you all for all your answers to my question have a nice weekend.

HELLO- MATT
I AM A RCMA, I HAVE BEEN A REGISTER MEDICAL ASSISTANT, WITH MY XRAY LIC FOR 18 YRS- I DESERVE TO BE LICENSED AND WILL THERE ARE MORE MA THAN LPN IN MY STATE IN 2009. WHAT DOES THIS TELL YOU. THE COMMISSION ON HIGHER EDUCATION OF US- STATE DEPT IS LOOKING AT THE SCHOOLS. THE ACCOUNTIBILTY OF MEDICAL ASSISTANT NEED LICENSE IN WHICH THEIR PERFORMANCE IS MONITERED. I HAVE NO DESIRE TO BE LPN, RN. I EVEN TEACH A MEDICAL ASSISTANT CLASS EVENING IN MY STATE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU TAKE AND PASS THE A&P. OR HAVE ANY LPN TO SIT IN AND TAKE THE TEST. IT WOULD BE VERY INTERESTING OF THE RESULTS. WE HAVE CLINICAL LAB 2 HOURS X 5 DAY EVERY WEEK. ACTUAL HANDS ON. THEY FEEL, TOUCH, SEE APPLY.
THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS HOWEVER IT WILL BE COME A REALITY, OF THE MEDICAL ASSISTANTS BILL MANDATING THEY ARE LIC BY THE STATE IN WHICH THEY PRACTICE. THE 3500 PHYSICIAN I HAVE DEALT WITH ARE ON BOARD AND I HAVE THEIR FULL SUPPORT. MY PASSION AND DEDICATION WILL SEE THIS THRU, I DO HOPE THAT OTHER STATE WILL FOLLOW SUIT- IT WILL ENHANCE NUMEROUS ISSUES WE FACE AS A COMMUNITY AND NOT TO MENTION THE REVENUE THE SAID STATE WILL GENERATE.
RESPECTFULLY,
SARAH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ptabby in Corona, New York

54 months ago

COLA48 in Columbia, South Carolina said: Hello I just graduated as a Medical Assistant and while in school I was told we will be replacing LPNs simply because we have learned how to do Iv's and injections, from what I was told LPNs don't have that experience unless they have been working along time for there doctor.

Well, sweetheart, you have been ill-advised. Medical Assistants will never EVER replace LPNs. I have respect for all health care careers, but let's be realistic. Medical Assistant school, ALONE, is not on the same level as nursing. Is there anything wrong with that? Nope. Just as nursing is not on the same level of medical school.

However, don't be fooled. They will say ANYTHING to you to get you in those doors (re: Medical Assisting programs). You're not replacing nurses anytime soon. I have heard rumors, like that, for years. They couldn't be more false.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

BTW- What is up with the caps? Is that really necessary?

Also....no, there will not be a demand for medical assistants any time soon. Phlebotomy classes are easy to come by and several nurses take them in their spare time.

Thousands of medical assistants graduate every month. They just aren't in demand. Medical Assisting school is also VERY easy to get into. Again, if you have done well as an MA, bless you...but I wanted to bring some reality back to this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Modesto, California

54 months ago

ptabby in Corona, New York said: BTW- What is up with the caps? Is that really necessary?

Also....no, there will not be a demand for medical assistants any time soon. Phlebotomy classes are easy to come by and several nurses take them in their spare time.

Thousands of medical assistants graduate every month. They just aren't in demand. Medical Assisting school is also VERY easy to get into. Again, if you have done well as an MA, bless you...but I wanted to bring some reality back to this forum.

Thank you for the reality check. For anyone who's interested, here's a list of some of the educational requirements for LPN's:

"Education courses for LPN programs consist of anatomy and physiology, psychology, nursing fundamentals, adult health care, mental health, pediatric health, nursing roles, and practical internships in clinical situations. Other courses include: obstetrics, medical-surgical nursing, administration of drugs, first aid, and nutrition."

I'm sure this list is not all inclusive. ptabby care to add anything?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

rolinda in San Diego, California

54 months ago

Education and training. Medical assisting programs are offered in vocational-technical high schools, postsecondary vocational schools, and community and junior colleges. Postsecondary programs usually last either 1 year and result in a certificate or diploma, or 2 years and result in an associate degree. Courses cover anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology, as well as keyboarding, transcription, recordkeeping, accounting, and insurance processing. Students learn laboratory techniques, clinical and diagnostic procedures, pharmaceutical principles, the administration of medications, and first aid. They study office practices, patient relations, medical law, and ethics. There are two accrediting bodies that accredit medical assisting programs. Accredited programs often include an internship that provides practical experience in physicians' offices or other healthcare facilities.

Formal training in medical assisting, while generally preferred, is not required. Many medical assistants are trained on the job, and usually only need to have a high school diploma or the equivalent. Recommended high school courses include mathematics, health, biology, keyboarding, bookkeeping, computers, and office skills. Volunteer experience in the healthcare field also is helpful. Medical assistants who are trained on the job usually spend their first few months attending training sessions and working closely with more experienced workers.

Some States allow medical assistants to perform more advanced procedures, such as giving injections or taking x rays, after passing a test or taking a course.

54 months ago

Education and training.

LPNs must complete a State-approved training program in practical nursing to be eligible for licensure. Contact your State’s board of nursing for a list of approved programs. Most training programs are available from technical and vocational schools or community and junior colleges. Other programs are available through high schools, hospitals, and colleges and universities. A high school diploma or its equivalent usually is required for entry, although some programs accept candidates without a diploma, and some programs are part of a high school curriculum.

Most year-long practical nursing programs include both classroom study and supervised clinical practice (patient care). Classroom study covers basic nursing concepts and subjects related to patient care, including anatomy, physiology, medical-surgical nursing, pediatrics, obstetrics nursing, pharmacology, nutrition, and first aid. Clinical practice usually is in a hospital but sometimes includes other settings.

Licensure. The National Council Licensure Examination, or NCLEX-PN, is required in order to obtain licensure as an LPN. The exam is developed and administered by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing. The NCLEX-PN is a computer-based exam and varies in length. The exam covers four major Client Needs categories: safe and effective care environment, health promotion and maintenance, psychosocial integrity, and physiological integrity. Eligibility for licensure may vary by State; for details, contact your State’s board of nursing.

54 months ago

Medical assistants perform work similar to the tasks completed by other workers in medical support occupations. Administrative medical assistants do work similar to that of:

Medical records and health information technicians

Medical secretaries

Medical transcriptionists

Clinical medical assistants perform duties similar to those of:

Dental assistants

Dental hygienists

Licensed practical and licensed vocational nurses

Nursing and psychiatric aides

Occupational therapist assistants and aides

Pharmacy technicians and aides

Physical therapist assistants and aides

Surgical technologists

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ptabby1 in Corona, New York

54 months ago

key word: SIMILAR.

..and as a NURSE, they do work that is "similar" to a doctor.
Not in the same category. Sorry. You cannot convince me otherwise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ptabby1 in Corona, New York

54 months ago

RN in Modesto, California said: Thank you for the reality check. For anyone who's interested, here's a list of some of the educational requirements for LPN's:

"Education courses for LPN programs consist of anatomy and physiology, psychology, nursing fundamentals, adult health care, mental health, pediatric health, nursing roles, and practical internships in clinical situations. Other courses include: obstetrics, medical-surgical nursing, administration of drugs, first aid, and nutrition."

I'm sure this list is not all inclusive. ptabby care to add anything?

I'm sure I could add for a lifetime..but that at least covers some of the basics :). Then, when one goes on to an RN program, it becomes even more intense. My respect goes out to you. Becoming a Registered Nurse is not easy. It's BEYOND competitive to gain admission into a program and the field is equally as challenging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Layton. in Salt Lake City, Utah

54 months ago

smoore7382 said: HELLO- MATT
I AM A RCMA, I HAVE BEEN A REGISTER MEDICAL ASSISTANT, WITH MY XRAY LIC FOR 18 YRS- I DESERVE TO BE LICENSED AND WILL THERE ARE MORE MA THAN LPN IN MY STATE IN 2009. WHAT DOES THIS TELL YOU. THE COMMISSION ON HIGHER EDUCATION OF US- STATE DEPT IS LOOKING AT THE SCHOOLS. THE ACCOUNTIBILTY OF MEDICAL ASSISTANT NEED LICENSE IN WHICH THEIR PERFORMANCE IS MONITERED. I HAVE NO DESIRE TO BE LPN, RN. I EVEN TEACH A MEDICAL ASSISTANT CLASS EVENING IN MY STATE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU TAKE AND PASS THE A&P. OR HAVE ANY LPN TO SIT IN AND TAKE THE TEST. IT WOULD BE VERY INTERESTING OF THE RESULTS. WE HAVE CLINICAL LAB 2 HOURS X 5 DAY EVERY WEEK. ACTUAL HANDS ON. THEY FEEL, TOUCH, SEE APPLY.
THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS HOWEVER IT WILL BE COME A REALITY, OF THE MEDICAL ASSISTANTS BILL MANDATING THEY ARE LIC BY THE STATE IN WHICH THEY PRACTICE. THE 3500 PHYSICIAN I HAVE DEALT WITH ARE ON BOARD AND I HAVE THEIR FULL SUPPORT. MY PASSION AND DEDICATION WILL SEE THIS THRU, I DO HOPE THAT OTHER STATE WILL FOLLOW SUIT- IT WILL ENHANCE NUMEROUS ISSUES WE FACE AS A COMMUNITY AND NOT TO MENTION THE REVENUE THE SAID STATE WILL GENERATE.
RESPECTFULLY,
SARAH

Hi Sarah, I'm a NCMA and have been for two years now. I'm also a CNA in the state of Utah. I've been doing that for 14 years, and I was also a Medic in the ARMY for 4 years. I was working at Hill, AFB I was a contractor in Family Medicine for 14 months and Iwas laid off last December due to cut backs. I have my Diploma in Medical Assisting and I'm just finishing up my Associates Degree in Medical Assisting and I will be done in June this year. I have a lot of people tell me I should go into Nursing and perhaps they are right but at this time it does not feel right, and besides that I can not transfer any of my credits and I'm not ready to start over again. I got that same crap when I came home from the ARMY in 1994 I could not get a job as a EMT or as Paramedic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

54 months ago

ptabby1 in Corona, New York said: key word: SIMILAR.

..and as a NURSE, they do work that is "similar" to a doctor.
Not in the same category. Sorry. You cannot convince me otherwise.

This April will be the start of my 11th year as a Respiratory Therapist. I am aware of the differences, which is why I provided the information. Some MAs here are under the erroneous impression that their job is the same as a Nurse. Only while working in the Clinic setting do I see similarities in the job duties of MAs, LVNs/LPNs and RNs. Within the Hospital environment, I work with RNs and LVNs/LPNs. I have yet to see MAs caring for ill patients here. It is beyond their education, knowledge, skills and scope of practice. Although each is essential, they are very different professions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Hi Sarah, Just to finish up from my last posting. I would have to start over again. I didn't mind that the first time, but for right now I'm happy where I'm at and I think that if my state of Utah makes it to where all Medical Assistants have to have a license to make myself a better Medical Assistant than I'm all for it. I take great pride in what I know and what I do. I love learning new things everyday and I have a great rescept for Nurses, and LPN's and other professions in Medicine and we all can learn from each other as long you love what your doing and knowing if you could help just one person and then its well worth it to me. Thank you and God bless.
Sincerely,
Matt Edler, NCMA

54 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: This April will be the start of my 11th year as a Respiratory Therapist. I am aware of the differences, which is why I provided the information. Some MAs here are under the erroneous impression that their job is the same as a Nurse. Only while working in the Clinic setting do I see similarities in the job duties of MAs, LVNs/LPNs and RNs. Within the Hospital environment, I work with RNs and LVNs/LPNs. I have yet to see MAs caring for ill patients here. It is beyond their education, knowledge, skills and scope of practice. Although each is essential, they are very different professions.

Oops, correction; April will be the start of my 11th year with my current employer. I have worked as a Respiratory Therapist for nearly 13 years.

54 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Oops, correction; April will be the start of my 11th year with my current employer. I have worked as a Respiratory Therapist for nearly 13 years.

Hi Rolinda, Congrads on your up coming on your 11th year with current employer. That's really cool and also being a Respiratory Therapist for 13 years is pretty good as well. I wish you all the best with career and may God bless you.

54 months ago

Matt in Layton. in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Hi Rolinda, Congrads on your up coming on your 11th year with current employer. That's really cool and also being a Respiratory Therapist for 13 years is pretty good as well. I wish you all the best with career and may God bless you.

Hi Matt, Thank you. I feel very fortunate. I like what I do and I work with a good employer. Congratulations on your up coming graduation. I'm happy for you. All your hard work will pay off. I wish you much success. Good journey.

54 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Hi Matt, Thank you. I feel very fortunate. I like what I do and I work with a good employer. Congratulations on your up coming graduation. I'm happy for you. All your hard work will pay off. I wish you much success. Good journey.

Hi Rolinda, Thank you for the kind words it really helps a lot and I hope you a good journey as well. Have a good night.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

RN in Modesto, California

53 months ago

smoore7382 said: I EVEN TEACH A MEDICAL ASSISTANT CLASS EVENING IN MY STATE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU TAKE AND PASS THE A&P. OR HAVE ANY LPN TO SIT IN AND TAKE THE TEST. IT WOULD BE VERY INTERESTING OF THE RESULTS. WE HAVE CLINICAL LAB 2 HOURS X 5 DAY EVERY WEEK.

I don't get the cockiness of this statement.

Our anatomy classes were taught by bachelor's or master's prepared certified teachers at the college level. Their educational level was far superior to a MA.

In my anatomy class we were required to dissect a cat's brain (Yes, we had to get out the bone saw). We not only learned skeletal muscles and organs from a human cadaver ( a man and woman who had donated their bodies to our college), but they were also used for part of our class tests.

I would like to see the poster take and pass those tests.

faye holt in Ocala, Florida

53 months ago

SMOORE7382 said: CONGRADULATIONS TO THE STATE OF TENNESSEE. THE SENATE AND LEGISLATION IS CURRENTLY REVIEW THE NEED FOR ALL CMA/RMA/RCMA TO BE STATE LICENSE.
WHAT AN HISTORIC EVENT AND VICTORY WILL BE OURS VERY SOON. WE DO HAVE A VOICE AND WE HAVE PRACTICE IT TO THE EXTENT OF LAW MAKERS LISTENING. I AM SURE BY THE END OF THE MONTH IT WILL BE PLACED IN LAW.
GREAT JOB!!

RESPECTFULLY,
SARAH

I think that is a wonderful idea this has been along time coming keep us updated.
Thanks faye

poohbear

53 months ago

smoore7382 said: SORRY TO ALL OF THE ABOVE. I AM THE ONE WHO BEGAN PETITION, I HAVE 650,000 NAMES. NATIONAL COLLEGE OF LABOR, I AM CURRENTLY WORKING WITH HOUSE OF LEGISLATION AND CONGRESS TO MANDATE IF YOU PRACTICE AS A MEDICAL ASSISTANT IN WHATEVER STATE YOU MUST BE LICENSED. NO DIFFERENT THAN A LPN OR RN. RIGHT NOW NO STATE MANDATES OR CONTROLS THE MA ENVIROMENT. THE ACCREDITED SCHOOLS OF TODAY ENSURE THE CIRRCULUM WILL GET THEM READY, FOR EX: I HAVE HAD LPN/RN THAT I HAVE RAN CIRCLES AROUND IN THE CLINICS. MEDICAL ASSISTANT ARE WELL READY TO TAKE THE TEST OR NOT PRACTICE. IT SHOULD BE THAT SIMPLE IF NO SCHOOL WAS GONE THRU THEY CAN GRAND-FATHER IN BUT STILL MUST TAKE THE LIC TESTURE. THIS IS TO MAKE THE PROFESSION WE WORK IN RESPECT AND PAID ACCORDINGLY AND THERE WILL BE A HUGH INCREASE TO THE PAY. SHOULD YOU NEED TO CONTACT ME. HEAVENDELIGHT@AOL.COM
IN SOLIDARTY
SARAH

I'm a CMA and I also run circles around the LPN and RN'S at the clinic I work at. I'm just so tried of people at work looking down on my degree just because I'm a CMA I can do just about anything that the nurses do except start Iv. I think sometimes that Nurse Aide are recognized more than CMA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

RN in Modesto, California said: I don't get the cockiness of this statement.

Our anatomy classes were taught by bachelor's or master's prepared certified teachers at the college level. Their educational level was far superior to a MA.

In my anatomy class we were required to dissect a cat's brain (Yes, we had to get out the bone saw). We not only learned skeletal muscles and organs from a human cadaver ( a man and woman who had donated their bodies to our college), but they were also used for part of our class tests.

I would like to see the poster take and pass those tests.

Seriously..what is the hang up? I don't get it either! Sorry to say, but medical assistant school is NOTHING compared to Nursing school. Absolutely NOTHING.
I don't look down on medical assistants. I look down on people who feel their education is superior to others when in reality it is SEVERAL notches lower. It makes medical assistants look VERY ignorant to compare themselves to nurses.

Not even nurses compare themselves to doctors. It's apples and oranges. Most nurses could probably go to medical school, you pick a field your heart is in. It doesn't sound like many of you were sure about the field that YOU picked, but let's wake up and smell the coffee...medical assisting and nursing are on TOTALLY different levels.

smoore7382

53 months ago

Thanks for your reply, HOWEVER, I am not sure why kind of Medical Assisting School are you speaking of. Tennessee has set standards.
God Bless you and you will see in my STATE of TN we will prevail.. I will post the date it is logged into Bill With the Senate..

Move forward (:) No you should not look down on Medical Assistant or any other Professional- this is not even an issue. But I know and BELIEVE it when I say- I can Run circles around you with no problem.
And by the way a Doctor Performing in a NURSE ROLE- give me a break- Will never happen in the state I live in or I doubt that it would happen in CA-
RESPECTFULLY,
SMOORE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

53 months ago

I will become licensed in the State of Tennessee, Do you feel threaten in some way- thats if your an LPN-
you may need to re-eval what you went to school for- and as fars as sitting for the Exam- quite impressive , but you still have to acquire clinical hours before you sit for the exam so they both go hand over hand
good luck
smoore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

53 months ago

faye holt in Ocala, Florida said: I think that is a wonderful idea this has been along time coming keep us updated.
Thanks faye

Faye your name is on the post for state leg.
Thanks again for your support and keep up the great work
smoore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rolinda in Chula Vista, California

53 months ago

poohbear said: I'm a CMA and I also run circles around the LPN and RN'S at the clinic I work at. I'm just so tried of people at work looking down on my degree just because I'm a CMA I can do just about anything that the nurses do except start Iv. I think sometimes that Nurse Aide are recognized more than CMA.

It is the arrogance that is looked down upon, not the degree. Have a good evening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: It is the arrogance that is looked down upon, not the degree. Have a good evening.

Exactly...except I refer to it as ignorance. Every time I see replies on here it's no wonder that some of these people were not accepted to nursing school. Nursing school and medical school are reserved for the cream of the crop. You must be very intelligent & hardworking. I'm really not sensing that, here, and hope someone changes my mind. There is no reason people should look down on one another, but I can't help myself when I see the ignorance in this forum.

53 months ago

SMOORE7382 in Memphis, Tennessee said: i AM VERY DISTURBED BY YOUR RESISTANCE TO THIS, WHY SHOULD WE COMPROMISE MEDICAL ASSISTING ACCOUTABILITY THIS IS MY WE ARE WANTING AND IT IS MOST NEEDED IN OUR STATE.
I some how wish you would understanding the importance of this mission, I pray for you to open you heart and not be so hositle. If I wanted to be a R.N. Trust me I would have sought that 18 yrs ago, however, that's not why I went into the medical field. It is compassion for caring for others. How about you
Respectfully,
smoore

I just pray that you learn how to write and speak before you try to bring up this "crucial" issue to important state reps. I have already made my points and pointed out the facts. The U.S.A. is a free country. Even though you will not succeed in your mission, you're still free to try! ;)

smoore7382

53 months ago

HOW SAD YOU MUST BE, YOUR ARE RIGHT IN SAYING ONLY- "CRUCIAL I HAVE A LEGAL TEAM DOING THE GROUND WORK FOR ME AND BELIEVE WHEN I SAY "THEY ARE WELL ROUNDED,Trust me using THE NATIONAL COLLEGE OF LABOR AND THE C.W.A WITH MY MISSION THIS BILL WILL BE PUT INTO PLACE IN MY STATE.MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY AND BE AN ENGLISH TEACHER SINCE THAT IS WHAT U SEEM TO BE FOCUSED ON:I CERTAINLY FELL SO SORRY FOR THE PATIENTS YOU MUST COME INTO CONTACT WITH. AT THIS POINT MAYBE "SOUL SEARCHING WOULD BE HELPFUL. I DO NOT INTEND ON COMMENTING AFTER THIS, WHEN THE BILL PASSES YOUR ARE CERTAINLY ON THE TOP OF MY LIST TO GET "COPY". ONE DAY WHEN IT BECOMES A REALITY- THEN YOU EMBRACE IT, OR CHANGE CAREERS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

53 months ago

GROW UP I CERTAINLY CAN RUN CIRCLE AROUND YOU. AND YOUR NOT MY BOSS MY LAST ASSIGNMENT IN MEMPHIS, TN I WAS PAID $32.00, SO IF YOUR CMA OR RMCA MAKE $10 PER HOUR, YOU ARE CERTAINLY UNDER PAID BOTH NURSES AND MA- OUR RN, MSN BSN RANGE FROM 45-60 PER HOUR ON THE CLINICAL FLOORS.. WHAT A POOR STATE YOU MUST LIVE IN/.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

53 months ago

Matt in Layton. in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Hi Sarah, Just to finish up from my last posting. I would have to start over again. I didn't mind that the first time, but for right now I'm happy where I'm at and I think that if my state of Utah makes it to where all Medical Assistants have to have a license to make myself a better Medical Assistant than I'm all for it. I take great pride in what I know and what I do. I love learning new things everyday and I have a great rescept for Nurses, and LPN's and other professions in Medicine and we all can learn from each other as long you love what your doing and knowing if you could help just one person and then its well worth it to me. Thank you and God bless.
Sincerely,
Matt Edler, NCMA

I certainly hope God bless you, Thank you for the kind words. I want to make it BETTER for each active Medical Assistant that practice in any state- The main reason is ACCOUNTABILTY. Thanks again Matt and I do apologize for sounding so harsh, however I should have learn about the opposition When I was in Washington Lobbing for this BIll. They were every where just like I have experience very Rude, Unacceptable Professional Behavior and hostlity again MA'S. I just can't understand "WHY" we are all taught the S>M>S and A & P, Biology- etc. NEW YORK I feel for the Medical Assistants as One nurse acts so Superior- I Don't Buy it, See it, Feel it..... Thanks again Matt and Sept is just around the corner for us. Keep up the great JOB and most importantly your kind HEART

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

smoore7382 said: GROW UP I CERTAINLY CAN RUN CIRCLE AROUND YOU. AND YOUR NOT MY BOSS MY LAST ASSIGNMENT IN MEMPHIS, TN I WAS PAID $32.00, SO IF YOUR CMA OR RMCA MAKE $10 PER HOUR, YOU ARE CERTAINLY UNDER PAID BOTH NURSES AND MA- OUR RN, MSN BSN RANGE FROM 45-60 PER HOUR ON THE CLINICAL FLOORS.. WHAT A POOR STATE YOU MUST LIVE IN/.

LOL. Yes--I believe you!...because a Medical Assistant who makes that much fights HARD to lobby for a license.
A Medical Assistant who earns $32/hr can BARELY put a paragraph together and has more time on their hand to put down nurses than to spend all that money they are making.

I completely believe you! It makes as much sense as a nurse, who makes $100/hr lobbying to have M.D. put behind their name, because they want MORE responsibility and respect.

You're an idiot. Point blank. I would clean toilets for $32.00/hr with a smile on my face, and I sure wouldn't be lobbying to have my profession given any licenses or certification. I would be way too happy to have such an easy job to be worrying about that.

It sounds like you have an inferiority complex sweetheart!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Average Salary of Jobs Matching Your Search
In USD as of Apr 23, 2010 35k 70k 105k
medical assistant in Memphis, TN $40,000

Average medical assistant salaries for job postings in Memphis, TN are 18% lower than average medical assistant salaries for job postings nationwide.

Average Salary of Jobs with Related Titles
Medical Administrative Assistant Training in Memphis, TN $31,000
Medical Assistant Training in Memphis, TN $29,000
Assistant Manager Growing Company in Memphis, TN $88,000
Training Surgical Technician in Memphis, TN $46,000
Medical Billing Coding Training in Memphis, TN $35,000
Pharmacy Technician Training in Memphis, TN $24,000
Training in Memphis, TN $27,000
Dental Assistant Training in Memphis, TN $31,000
Medical Assistant Careers Training in Memphis, TN $27,000
Medical Office Assistant in Memphis, TN $23,000
Medical Administrative Assistant in Memphis, TN $26,000

pam in Corona, California

53 months ago

ptabby in Jackson Heights, New York said: LOL. Yes--I believe you!...because a Medical Assistant who makes that much fights HARD to lobby for a license.
A Medical Assistant who earns $32/hr can BARELY put a paragraph together and has more time on their hand to put down nurses than to spend all that money they are making.

I completely believe you! It makes as much sense as a nurse, who makes $100/hr lobbying to have M.D. put behind their name, because they want MORE responsibility and respect.

You're an idiot. Point blank. I would clean toilets for $32.00/hr with a smile on my face, and I sure wouldn't be lobbying to have my profession given any licenses or certification. I would be way too happy to have such an easy job to be worrying about that.

It sounds like you have an inferiority complex sweetheart!

Man do I love and agree with your responses!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

The information above displays the earning potential for Medical Assistants located in Memphis, TN. The average is $40,000.

smoore, You are very fortunate. If your claim of earning $32.00 is true, it is the exception, not the rule.

QUOTE who="smoore7382"]GROW UP I CERTAINLY CAN RUN CIRCLE AROUND YOU. AND YOUR NOT MY BOSS MY LAST ASSIGNMENT IN MEMPHIS, TN I WAS PAID $32.00, SO IF YOUR CMA OR RMCA MAKE $10 PER HOUR, YOU ARE CERTAINLY UNDER PAID BOTH NURSES AND MA- OUR RN, MSN BSN RANGE FROM 45-60 PER HOUR ON THE CLINICAL FLOORS.. WHAT A POOR STATE YOU MUST LIVE IN/.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Average Salary of Jobs Matching Your Search
medical assistant in Memphis, TN $40,000

Average medical assistant salaries for job postings in Memphis, TN are 18% lower than average medical assistant salaries for job postings nationwide.

Average Salary of Jobs with Related Titles
Medical Administrative Assistant Training in Memphis, TN $31,000
Medical Assistant Training in Memphis, TN $29,000
Assistant Manager Growing Company in Memphis, TN $88,000
Training Surgical Technician in Memphis, TN $46,000
Medical Billing Coding Training in Memphis, TN $35,000
Pharmacy Technician Training in Memphis, TN $24,000
Training in Memphis, TN $27,000
Dental Assistant Training in Memphis, TN $31,000
Medical Assistant Careers Training in Memphis, TN $27,000
Medical Office Assistant in Memphis, TN $23,000
Medical Administrative Assistant in Memphis, TN $26,000

Thanks for the information, but it is a little bit off. I live in NYC and I was in L.A. before..two of the BIGGEST cities in the U.S.A. The pay in L.A. averaged around $10/hr to start and NYC averages at $15/hr to start. That's barely hitting the 30k mark, so I find it hard to believe that other places are doing that much better. Perhaps with experience a MA can make 40k.

53 months ago

pam in Corona, California said: Man do I love and agree with your responses!!

Thank You. Glad to know there are at least a few intellectuals here ;).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.