What happened to Pacific College of Med Assistants in San Diego, CA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 114)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Theresa Theobald in Eugene, Oregon

84 months ago

I am a 1978 graduate of Pacific College of Medical and Dental Assistants in San Diego, CA. My last name while attending the college was Labate. I need to take the certification class next year. But I cannot find any listing of this school, where my transcripts are, course descriptions and proof that this was an Accredited College. I have to be able to prove that it was accredited for the test. I live in Eugene, OR now. Lane Community College gives the test once a year, in June. Is anyone here a grad from this College? Please help!!
Thanks,
Terri Theobald
chuckt@efn.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

B. in Valley Center, California

83 months ago

I am having the same trouble. I only have the graduation picture from the front steps.

83 months ago

Hi B,

Okay, here's what I found out. I called the AAMA (American Association of Medical Assistants). Their website is www.aama-ntl.org. It's a very helpful site. They have access to which colleges were accredited. Pacific College was accredited from 1972 to 1987 through CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs). www.caahep.org So we are covered on that requirement.

Then I started to look for my transcripts because you must have them to take the cerification test, or meet the standards of the California Certifying Board for Medical Assistants. Go to their website, it will explain to you what the qualifications are. abc.eznettools.net/ccbma/index.html

I called the U.S. Department of Education reguarding closed schools and how to get old transcripts. They are destroyed after 5 years!!! Arggggg!! The woman's name is DeNice Hill and her phone number is 206-615-3638. But it sounds like your transcripts are probably gone too.

Be sure to visit the California Certifying Board for Medical Assistants site, because it gives the exact qualifications necessary to take the test.

Do you still have your diploma? I have mine. What year did you complete the course?

Hope this helps.
:-)Terri

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

83 months ago

Guide

But will you be able to take the certification test? Which agency were you going for?

83 months ago

I am not able to obtain my transcripts, so these are my choice, no matter which agency I go with. AAMA is the agency which I want to be associated with.

Q. What are the qualifications?

A. The applicant must

1. Be currently employed in the capacity of a medical assistant by a licensed physician or podiatrist in the United States or
2. Have been so employed for at least two of the previous five years, or
3. Have graduated from a medical assisting program in an accredited institution in the United States within one year preceding the examination, or
4. Be currently employed as a medical assisting instructor in an accredited institution in the United States or United States Military training or United States schooling equivalent to that provided by accredited medical assisting programs.

Q. What is included in the comprehensive examination?

A. There are three components of the exam:

1. Basic
2. Administrative
3. Clinical

In order to receive a certificate, the applicant must pass the Basic examination plus one specialty, either Administrative (front office) or Clinical (back office). A second specialty is optional.

Refer to the web links that I gave to you. Call you local communitiy college to see what is required in your local.

Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

83 months ago

Guide

Have you been working as an MA? I was under the impression that it only takes work experience to take the RMA exam. Here are the AMT requirements-

3. Applicant must meet one of the following requirements:

A. Applicant shall be a graduate of a:

1. Medical assistant program that holds programmatic accreditation by (or is in a post-secondary school or college that holds institutional accreditation by) the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) or the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP) OR,

2. Medical assistant program in a post-secondary school or college that has institutional accreditation by a Regional Accrediting Commission or by a national accrediting organization approved by the United States Department of Education. That program must include a minimum of 720 clock hours (or equivalent) of training in medical assisting skills (including a clinical externship) OR,

3. Formal medical services training program of the United States Armed Forces.

B. Experience

Applicant shall have been employed in the profession of Medical Assisting for a minimum of five (5) years, no more than two (2) years of which may have been as an instructor in a postsecondary medical assistant program.

4. Applicants applying under 3 A or B must take and pass the AMT certification examination for Registered Medical Assistant (RMA).

Have you contacted AMT and spoken to them about your situation? I know you wanted to go with AAMA but if AMT will permit you to take the exam,not to mention it's a little easier test,then I would try that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

No I haven't been working as a MA. I worked as a MA for about 4 years. Then I applied at the local hospital and was hired on as a phelbotomist. I made so much more money at the hospital and the benefits were incredible. I worked there for 15 years. When I moved over here to Eugene, I figured that Oregon Medical Lab had the same pay. No!! About $6.50 less per hour. So I've been working at the city library, but am experiencing repetative stress injuries to my elbow tendons.

I will check out the RMA testing info. Do you happen to have web site addresses for the AMT and RNA? I need to find a MA job, but most MD's want a CMS.

I have surgery planned for my left elbow in December, right elbow was operated on in September. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I need to have the surgery done first.

Thanks soooo much for your information!!

:-) Terri

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

83 months ago

Guide

AMT's website is-

www.amt1.com/

If you are able to take their test,I have the preview exam which is helpful.

There is a big misunderstanding about the difference between a CMA and an RMA because of the wording,so many offices,including their doctors,think that an RMA isn't the same as a CMA but they ARE. Being registered IS being certified. AMT has a letter that can be shown to any hiring personnel that proves that.

Whatever you find out and do,good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Hi LC,

That would be so great and kind of you if you could send me the preview exam. Is it a book or pdf? If it's a book, let me know what you need in $$ to get it to me.

At least I can start studying while I am searching for a job and recovering from elbow surg.

Are we able to send our personal email addys through this forum? If you would rather email me directly, let me know.

Again, thanks so much.

Terri

83 months ago

Hi LC,
I went to the AMT website and looked at the huge list of books in the Study Reference Material pdf. Wow, it would cost a lot of money to buy all the recent editions of the many different subjects that are listed on the Content Outline of Examination page.

Maybe the library has some of these books.

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

83 months ago

Guide

My e-mail address is in my profile. Since you have one,you can add your own in also.

I have the preview exam in a draft that I can e-mail anyone. It's a little over 120 questions. If you bought it from AMT they would charge about $15.

eBay has a lot of medical assisting books,some real cheap.

83 months ago

Okay, so can you email it to me at chuckt@efn.org? Check out my MySpace site too. www.myspace.com/terri58.

Thanks LC,
Terri

B in Valley Center, California

83 months ago

I have contacted several people working for the City of San Diego seeking the former owner of Pacific College to reveal the dispositon of our records. I do remember Mr. Ben Ferber being the director but do not know the exact address, except that is was up by San Diego State. If you have that old business address I can get to City public records. Anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Yes I have it.

Pacific College of Medical and Dental Assistants
4411 30th St.
San Diego, CA 92116
Old phone number 714-280-5005
The President of the school was Ben Ferber

Although, as I understand, the records are destroyed every 5 years. I hope you find out otherwise!!

83 months ago

Still trying to learn about the demise of Pacific College. The San Diego City Clerk's office has trying to be helpful but can find no info for that address at that time period. Do you have a business lic. no. or any other info on your diploma or old paper work? I can drive to S.D. and go through the clerk's archives if nec.

83 months ago

No, unfortunately not. All I have is my diploma. It ain't worth a hill of beans at this point. I will most likely have to take the course over again. At least I know I will ace it "again"!! Arggg.

justine in Huntsville, Alabama

82 months ago

Hi, The school was bought over by another school in SD. I called them about 5 years ago. I got my transcript then. I forgot what the school name is though. Call around to all the medical assistant school in San diego. It might me concorde.

Kathy in Clearwater, Florida

82 months ago

justine in Huntsville, Alabama said: Hi, The school was bought over by another school in SD. I called them about 5 years ago. I got my transcript then. I forgot what the school name is though. Call around to all the medical assistant school in San diego. It might me concorde.

Justine,
When did you go to Pacific College? I went to school with a Justine-I attended June 1985 to December 1985. My husband was in the Navy at the time.
I may need my transcripts-thanks for the info.

82 months ago

Could the name of the name of the school that purchased Pacific College have been "Maric"?

82 months ago

I think I FOUND THE TRANSRCIPT RECORDS from Pacific College of Medical and Dental Assistants in San Diego. Thanks to Justine I called around.
Here it is: Concorde Career College
4393 Imperial Avenue
San Diego, CA phone# (619) 688-0800
I talked to Mr. Daniel O'Brien and he said they have the records in the archives. You can fax a request to: (619) 220-4175 or write to above address. He needs the following info: approx. year of grad(this is how they start the search), name at time of grad, soc. sec.#, address where to send to, and most inportantly your signature releasing records. This info is also available on the registrar's phone recording.
Good luck ladies.
I also found numerous books at the public library for the test preps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

B in Valley Center, California said: I think I FOUND THE TRANSRCIPT RECORDS from Pacific College of Medical and Dental Assistants in San Diego. Thanks to Justine I called around.
Here it is: Concorde Career College
4393 Imperial Avenue
I talked to Mr. Daniel O'Brien and he said they have the records in the archives. You can fax a request to: (619) 220-4175 or write to above address. He needs the following info: approx. year of grad(this is how they start the search), name at time of grad, soc. sec.#, address where to send to, and most inportantly your signature releasing records. This info is also available on the registrar's phone recording.
Good luck ladies.
I also found numerous books at the public library for the test preps.

Thanks B-just started looking online today-how fortuitous!
Never know when we may need these things!

Terri Theobald in Eugene, Oregon

82 months ago

Wow, thank you soooo much for your persistence and perseverance
on finding our transcripts. I did my own sleuthing for our transcripts last month and I spoke with Daniel O'Brien at Concorde. He told me the records were only kept for 5 years, but now he is saying they do have the records all the way back to 1966!! There must have been so many calls and requests that they had a change of heart about looking for our transcripts. Whatever, I'm just glad they have decided to start digging for us! :-)

82 months ago

Terri-How had you found out about Mr. O'Brien? I hadn't a clue what school to call until Justine's comment last week.
As I stated earlier, I found numerous books onthe test prep that my local library can order from the county system. Maybe your library can do the same. We have many, many jobs for Medical Assistants with or without certification in San Diego but the UC School and hospital clinics want certification on record. How about your area. Did you get your transcipts? Where will you test? I have faxed Mr. O'Brien my info and request. I have also asked him if the Concorde Schools offer the CMA testing for Pacific College Alumni. I'll let you know what happens.

Terri Theobald in Eugene, Oregon

82 months ago

Hi B,
I Google'd for MA schools in the SD area and Concorde was one of the schools that came up. I must have called 7 to 10 schools in the greater SD area.
I found a PreTest book at our library already and Linda was kind enough to send me a pdf on pretest questions that she had.
There are many jobs here in Eugene, but they want CMA's too, or you have to be in a program to get your certificate within a year of employment.
I FAX'd my info to Daniel today, so I'm not sure when to expect my transcripts. I pretty sure they won't do me any good since I haven't worked as a MA for many moons... 1981. Check out the beginning of this thread for info on my past employment hx.
As I understand it, either you have to be currently working for a MD or have worked as a MA within the past 5 years to be eligible to retake the test. If so, I'm soooo screwed.
Good luck to you and please keep us all updated on your success.
Take care,
Terri

Terri in Eugene, Oregon

81 months ago

Hey, guess what?!?! I received my transcripts today by UPS from Concorde!! Not sure what good they will do me but at least I have them now. They have the records in the archives.So make sure to FAX your info to:

Concorde Career College
4393 Imperial Avenue
Mr. Daniel O'Brien
FAX a request to: (619) 220-4175

Or write to above address.

He needs the following info: approx. year of grad(this is how they start the search), name at time of grad, soc. sec.#, address where to send to, and most inportantly your signature releasing records.

This is the same info as above from Kathy in Clearwater, FL

Thanks again Kathy!! You rock GurlFriend :-)

Terri

81 months ago

I also received my transcripts from Mr. O'Brien via UPS. I have also contacted Ms. June Henley the Certified Communications Coordinator for the American Association of Medical Assistants (jhenley@aama-ntl.org) requesting next step information i.e.transcript submission and testing sites ect. She has quickly responded to other inguiries I have had with her and I am sure she will be helpful again.

81 months ago

I can't take the credit--I just don't know how too post properly--it was B that had the correct info.
I also received my transcripts yesterday--I dont think they are very detailed, but if I want to recertify I may need them.

I am now trying to get into a 2 year RN program--so at least if I need them in the future.

Thanks!

81 months ago

also, I know they are sealed, but I had to look at them.

I did pretty good!

Terri in Eugene, Oregon

81 months ago

I opened mine too. There was no way I wasn't going to! LOL I did very well too. Of course when I was 19 years old I had a lot more energy. I hope I can muster up the old brain cells to take the certificate test. Time will tell. I'm so glad we all had such great luck in finding our transcripts. Thanks again to all.

81 months ago

I was wondering who would be brave enought to break the "official seal" (and confess). Good for you Kathy, go for the RN. Had I known back then that I enjoy my work so much now I would have taken the RN route, but I was young, impatient and had no guidance. Luckily, I have had great jobs, quit for 20 years to raise a family and recently I fell into a job left by an RN after 12 years in that occupation. Despite that, I would still advise any young person to take the RN course at any school. I paid Pacific College $1,500 for that year, I wonder what if costs for that type of program now, anyone know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

It is an associates degree now at most schools, probably 8 to 10 grand the way education costs now. For the money it was the best thing I ever did, I worked in the field for 12 years and was a manager of a large practice when I left. Put my husband through college--now my turn again!

I think the 2 year RN is the best right now- I can get my BSN practically online later.

Terri in Eugene, Oregon

81 months ago

Here in Eugene, OR at Pioneer Pacific College, it costs $13,000!! The program pays for EVERYTHING though... scrubs, books, any other supplies, placement, certification test, externship, etc...

81 months ago

Kathy- Following a successful career as a M.A., what prompts you to seek an RN degree? You certainly would have an advantage in the course work after years of experience. What made you want the transcipts from Pacific College? They are not applicable toward anything except certification are they?
I do want to remember to thank Mr. O'Brien again, he could have easily dismissed my request.

81 months ago

Terri- Are you planning to take the cert. exam now that you have your transcripts. I thought I would join the AAMA, submit my transcripts with my CPR for Healthcare Providers card and take the test. Your thoughts? Isn't it as easy as that (provided I pass the test).
And Kathy you are right,the time and money spent at Pacific College was well worth it and has easily paid for itself over and over.

Terri in Eugene, Oregon

81 months ago

That's my plan. I joined the AAMA a couple months ago and have emailed the person that someone listed as a contact for the AAMA. That email is jhenley@aama-ntl.org. I have asked for her guidance on what I need to do at this point. I will let you know what I find out when I hear back from her.
I think you should get in touch with her too. I'm sure she can set all of us on the right path. Since each of us have different goals. It will be interesting to see how each of us reach these goals we want. Keep in touch.
Take good care,
Terri

Sue Larson in Tomah, Wisconsin

81 months ago

Theresa Theobald in Eugene, Oregon said: I am a 1978 graduate of Pacific College of Medical and Dental Assistants in San Diego, CA. My last name while attending the college was Labate. I need to take the certification class next year. But I cannot find any listing of this school, where my transcripts are, course descriptions and proof that this was an Accredited College. I have to be able to prove that it was accredited for the test. I live in Eugene, OR now. Lane Community College gives the test once a year, in June. Is anyone here a grad from this College? Please help!!
Thanks,
Terri Theobald
chuckt@efn.org

I am also a graduate of Pacific College I think in 1978, that was a long time ago. What I need is a copy of my certification and I can't seem to locate it? Anybody have any ideas.

Name at school was Sue DeMunck

81 months ago

Did you try calling Mr. O'Brien (phone# above) or e-mail June Henley at the AAMA. Ms. Henley was able to give me info. on Pacific College's eligibility status during the time I went to school and may have your certification in their archives. The AAMA will check for your membership records and certification starting with your soc. sec.# and also your name at that time. Their contact # is available at their webite and they are open during normal business hours, Chicago time.
Isn't it interesting how Pacific College alumni are still working and live all over the county?

vanessa talley in Henderson, North Carolina

78 months ago

how do you obtain a copy of your certificate if you graduated in 1997 as a medical assistant? and does anybody know where i can get a copy of my license if i was licensed by the state of north carolina as a residential conselor but through the company i worked for?

Will in Hackensack, New Jersey

78 months ago

Hey, does anyone know whether a Ph.D. could have been obtained through Pacific College of Medical and Dental Assistants in San Diego, CA between the years that it was accredited and in service????

78 months ago

It was just a tech school for medical and dental assistants-- If you look in previous questions someone may have info about the years it was open.

78 months ago

Thanks Kathy, I already have all info on years it was open. I just need to know if one would have been able to obtain Ph.D. at that particular school when it was open? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject. I take it by you saying, "It was just a tech school for medical and dental assistants," that you meant NO?!?! However, I was looking for clarification and a str8 answer. THANKS!

78 months ago

No problem--I went there-- didn't mean to sound that way--It got me into a good career but it was really just a 6 month course --not a regular college as in a 2 year or even 4 year type of college.

Hope someone isn't trying to pass it off as more than that!

78 months ago

Not to my knowledge.

78 months ago

It was just a tech school. What's the problem? She had the right answer for you.

78 months ago

Hey thanks guys! No problem, just doing reseach for book. Someone claimed that they attended Pacific College in CA and got Ph.D. I checked with Pac. Col. of Oriental Medicine and person didn't attend as per the registrar. However, he directed me to Pac. Col. - Med. and Den. and found this board. Great info...u guys are great, thanks again!

Lela in Denver, Colorado

77 months ago

Anyone know of a good Medical Technician program in the San jose area?
I am moving from Colorado before I was supposed to and I want to look at schools.

AMMA in Prospect Heights, Illinois

77 months ago

CAN I TAKE MY MEDICAL ASSISTANT LICENCING EXAM WITH OUT ATTENDING TO ANY OF THESE SCHOOLS?WHAT DO I NEED?WHEN AND WHERE CAN I TAKE?DO I NEED TO ATTEND THESE SCHOOLS FOR SURE?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brook

76 months ago

I have 2 questions what is the difference getting you r associates degree or just getting certified as a medical assistant? and has anyone taking medical assisting with U.S. career Institute online? wanting to make sure it is legit?

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

76 months ago

Guide

AMMA in Prospect Heights, Illinois said: CAN I TAKE MY MEDICAL ASSISTANT LICENCING EXAM WITH OUT ATTENDING TO ANY OF THESE SCHOOLS?WHAT DO I NEED?WHEN AND WHERE CAN I TAKE?DO I NEED TO ATTEND THESE SCHOOLS FOR SURE?

Check with American Medical Technologists,who will let you take the exam if you can prove so many years of working as a medical assistant.

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

76 months ago

Guide

Brook said: I have 2 questions what is the difference getting you r associates degree or just getting certified as a medical assistant? and has anyone taking medical assisting with U.S. career Institute online? wanting to make sure it is legit?

The only real difference is that the degree program lasts longer,there is more schooling,so you will be owing more. There is no difference in the availability to get a job,or in pay. Job sites are looking for experienced MAs,especially if they are certified,not degrees.

Online programs are questionable. How do you practice clinical duties? Who will be the one to assist in job placement? How much will it cost? Check on www.ripoffreport.com to see if anyone has complained about that online course or ask the question on the message board of the "Advanced Medical Assistants of America" website.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.