Do medical assistants make enough money to live on or not nearly enough?

Comments (3)

Jessica in Irwinville, Georgia

84 months ago

I am attending college for a medical assistant and from the looks of things on here I won't be makeing any money. I need some advice on this topic please.

alicia

84 months ago

Hi jessica,
The best advice that I can give you is try to get hired at your externship, and stay there for atleast a year, because its very hard to get hired without atleast 1 years experience. The starting pay for a medical assistant is about 10 dollars. I know a person who started out making 10 dollars an hour, worked hard, and now a year later she is making 15 dollars an hour. I am struggling to get a job as a medical assistant. I was hired at my externship but was laid off within 6 months because the medical office was struggling financially. I have less than one years experience, and its very difficult for me to get a job. The key points are, stay at your externship for atleast a year, and expect to earn about 10 dollars an hour to start.
Good luck.

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

24 months ago

alicia said: Hi jessica,
The best advice that I can give you is try to get hired at your externship, and stay there for atleast a year, because its very hard to get hired without atleast 1 years experience. The starting pay for a medical assistant is about 10 dollars. I know a person who started out making 10 dollars an hour, worked hard, and now a year later she is making 15 dollars an hour. I am struggling to get a job as a medical assistant. I was hired at my externship but was laid off within 6 months because the medical office was struggling financially. I have less than one years experience, and its very difficult for me to get a job. The key points are, stay at your externship for atleast a year, and expect to earn about 10 dollars an hour to start.
Good luck.

That's if you get hired at your externship facility. I just completed my 160 hours MA externship and they had no openings, so now I am looking for a MA job. I live just north of Los Angeles and everyone wants at least 1 year experience and a lot want bilingual Spanish.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.