Do medical assistants make enough money to live on or not nearly enough?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Jessica in Irwinville, Georgia

73 months ago

I am attending college for a medical assistant and from the looks of things on here I won't be makeing any money. I need some advice on this topic please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

alicia

73 months ago

Hi jessica,
The best advice that I can give you is try to get hired at your externship, and stay there for atleast a year, because its very hard to get hired without atleast 1 years experience. The starting pay for a medical assistant is about 10 dollars. I know a person who started out making 10 dollars an hour, worked hard, and now a year later she is making 15 dollars an hour. I am struggling to get a job as a medical assistant. I was hired at my externship but was laid off within 6 months because the medical office was struggling financially. I have less than one years experience, and its very difficult for me to get a job. The key points are, stay at your externship for atleast a year, and expect to earn about 10 dollars an hour to start.
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

14 months ago

alicia said: Hi jessica,
The best advice that I can give you is try to get hired at your externship, and stay there for atleast a year, because its very hard to get hired without atleast 1 years experience. The starting pay for a medical assistant is about 10 dollars. I know a person who started out making 10 dollars an hour, worked hard, and now a year later she is making 15 dollars an hour. I am struggling to get a job as a medical assistant. I was hired at my externship but was laid off within 6 months because the medical office was struggling financially. I have less than one years experience, and its very difficult for me to get a job. The key points are, stay at your externship for atleast a year, and expect to earn about 10 dollars an hour to start.
Good luck.

That's if you get hired at your externship facility. I just completed my 160 hours MA externship and they had no openings, so now I am looking for a MA job. I live just north of Los Angeles and everyone wants at least 1 year experience and a lot want bilingual Spanish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.