Has anyone heard about a Specialty Certified Medical Assistant?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Lauren, MA in Raleigh, North Carolina

31 months ago

There has been a recent buzz about this new certification where you can become a specialty CMA or SCMA. Has anyone heard about them and what potentially this could be? Do you know if they offer anything that a CMA currently doesn’t hold through their training? I was recently contacted by them and they stated that they offer free job placement after passing the exam and a free resume review. They also informed me that offices who have their entire staff specialized are receiving higher pay because the medical professionals that they work for are saving so much on their malpractice insurance anywhere from 20 to 25%.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Danni R. in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts

30 months ago

So, Lauren, is what you are asking whether it is too good to be true? One way to find out is to research your local job market, and if you are already working in one of the offered specialty focus areas, e.g. family, pediatrics, urology, or oncology, just ask your current boss whether he/she has heard of the certification you are contemplating and if they would be willing to give you a raise. Medical assisting certifications remain largely voluntary in the USA.

Danni R.
CertMedAssistant.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Orlando, Florida

29 months ago

It sounds like a scam to me. It's a corporation trying to make money.

Me in Middleton, Wisconsin

29 months ago

I thought it sounded scammy too, but the testing center locations are state technical colleges and universities in my area. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Jude L in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

Never heard of any such thing.. Make sure the sources are credible..

MA Beth in Roanoke, Virginia

29 months ago

I thought it sounded a little scammy to me as well, however I did call and speak with them about the certifications. I also noticed that on their “About Us” page, the certification developers/reviewers are real people. They also told me that they were launching a new certification sometime this summer for orthopedics. They sounded legit to me, I hope this helps.

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

MA Beth in Roanoke, Virginia said: I thought it sounded a little scammy to me as well, however I did call and speak with them about the certifications. I also noticed that on their “About Us” page, the certification developers/reviewers are real people. They also told me that they were launching a new certification sometime this summer for orthopedics. They sounded legit to me, I hope this helps.

That is a new one on me. Course, if there is a way to make a buck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

Jude L in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Never heard of any such thing.. Make sure the sources are credible..

Yeah, and make sure that you check something more reliable than the Internet. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in Layton, Utah

29 months ago

Hi there, (NCCT) has a specialty courses that a Medical Assistant can take in different areas to help that individual gain more skills to help them further along in their growth as a Medical Assistant. It will not get them any more money per hour in most cases. You also have to re-certify every year. I hope that helped somebody out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Raleigh, North Carolina

21 months ago

It is not a scam, medical assistant certifications are voluntary and you may choose from a variety of certification designations. The SCMA is different than the CMA and RMA etc., because it focuses on a specific specialty. There are 13 different therapeutic specialties in which you can become certified. It is recognized in all 50 states, you must pay an annual recertification fee, and complete a certain number of continuing education units to maintain your credentials.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria Paul in Vancover, British Columbia

19 months ago

If it's not a scam, the next question you should ask yourself is if it's applicable to you and if the job placement offered really exists. Medical assistant training (www.careerstep.ca/medical-administrative-assistant-job) has always been a voluntary certification field, and if they're able to find better paying jobs for SCMAs, then props to them! Just look out for your interests at all times in the process.

Aaron1959 in San Antonio, Texas

9 months ago

Medical Assistant is not a scam, but a much better option is LVN/LPN. The MA programs are typically businesses such as the one's you see on daytime TV commercials. They are expensive. Most of them require you to pay per contract whether you gradauate or not. Requires 9 to 18 months depending on the program. May cost up to $19,000. Pays about $12 per hour when you find employment. LVN/LPN is generally 18 months or less. Costs $7,000 if you can get into a community type college that offers it. Costs about $19,000 if you go with the schools you see advertised on TV. Pays about $20 per hour starting. Why would you go to school for over a year, pay more, and get a job paying $12 per hour, when you could commit the same amount of time and money, graduate and make $20 per hour?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.