Over 50 Male New Grad Medical Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

19 months ago

Anyone out there that is over 50 and male having a difficult time find a job as a new grad medical assistant?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Galia in Des Plaines, Illinois

19 months ago

I'm not a male but I would imagine that you have a difficult time finding a job. I had a classmate who was around that age but never actually saw him after we graduated to see if he found a job. It will be hard I can tell you that but don't lose hope. Try looking for administrative medical assistant, something at the front desk, or something of that sort. Go to your school and ask for help, they might have a career coordinator.
Good luck Mike!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

19 months ago

I just finished my program classroom part. It was 10 weeks front office and 10 weeks back office. I also passed by national certification for MA through NCCT and will be taking my NCCT for phlebotomy so I can get certified and licensed her in California. I will also be starting my externship for 2 weeks for phlebotomy at a Kaiser hospital and then 4 weeks for medical assistant at a medical group.

I have been in the medical field for over 25 years but that was on the admin side doing patient registration and ER admitting, plus customer service. I have heard that being over 50, some places prefer more mature people then those in their 20's. I was also 11 years active duty Air Force and 11 years Reserves in Medical Administration so that background will help get a job.

The bad part here in Southern California is that a lot of offices want you to also speak Spanish which I do not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.