Is it worth it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Allyofthrvalley

14 months ago

I'm a stay-at-home mom about to go to school for medical assistant. I am beginning to think that going to school isn't worth the $10K loan I will be taking out or going to school 4x a week. All I have heard is how hard it is to find a job, most are out of work, how lousy the pay is and how competitive it is. Nothing but negativity! I'm really beginning to worry! I want to find a better job than working at fast food or retail. I need a decent paying job to pay for daycare AND have money left over. I can't have a large loan on my credit that I won't be able to pay after! Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amber in Fort Dodge, Iowa

14 months ago

Depends on where you are located if there are any jobs. Search the local hospital websites for career listings and see what you find. This is what I did and there seems to be quite a few jobs in my area (Iowa) for MA's. I worked in retail for 9 years and had enough of it, have been a stay at home mom for 2 years now and am ready to start the MA program in the fall. I was initially going to go into nursing but I decided to try Medical Assisting first. If I don't get a clinical job at least I will have the administrative part to go off of.

Good Luck to you!

amber in Fort Dodge, Iowa

14 months ago

Allyofthrvalley said: I'm a stay-at-home mom about to go to school for medical assistant . I am beginning to think that going to school isn't worth the $10K loan I will be taking out or going to school 4x a week. All I have heard is how hard it is to find a job, most are out of work, how lousy the pay is and how competitive it is. Nothing but negativity! I'm really beginning to worry! I want to find a better job than working at fast food or retail. I need a decent paying job to pay for daycare AND have money left over. I can't have a large loan on my credit that I won't be able to pay after! Any advice?

Depends on where you are located if there are any jobs. Search the local hospital websites for career listings and see what you find. This is what I did and there seems to be quite a few jobs in my area (Iowa) for MA's. I worked in retail for 9 years and had enough of it, have been a stay at home mom for 2 years now and am ready to start the MA program in the fall. I was initially going to go into nursing but I decided to try Medical Assisting first. If I don't get a clinical job at least I will have the administrative part to go off of.

Good Luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Allyofthrvalley said: I'm a stay-at-home mom about to go to school for medical assistant . I am beginning to think that going to school isn't worth the $10K loan I will be taking out or going to school 4x a week. All I have heard is how hard it is to find a job, most are out of work, how lousy the pay is and how competitive it is. Nothing but negativity! I'm really beginning to worry! I want to find a better job than working at fast food or retail. I need a decent paying job to pay for daycare AND have money left over. I can't have a large loan on my credit that I won't be able to pay after! Any advice?

Look at the requirements for MA first! Many require at least one year experience and that you speak Spanish before they will hire you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.