Over 50 and can't find a job in Vegas

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 60)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Debi

80 months ago

I went to school to become a CMA. What they didn't tell me was it seems like no one wants someone who's over 50. It's all about the money. When I graduated they got me an externship working for a podiatrist!!! I learned about EKGs and Blood draws for THAT? I was lucky enough to find another Dr. who took me on for the rest of my externship. I worked there after it was over but then had my hours shortened so I had to leave. It's been TWO YEARS and I still can't find a job. It's the same old story.......you aren't hired because you don't have experience. HOW CAN YOU GET EXPERIENCE IF NO ONE WILL HIRE YOU???????
I have gotten divorced and can't get a life and support myself because of all this. Doesn't anyone care? I know how to deal with patients. I was a dental assistant for over 15 years. It's not brain surgery people.
Thanks for letting me vent. I'm sure it won't help me find a job but I feel your pain when I read postings about no one else being able to find a job either........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Diane

80 months ago

Thanks, I received your resume. I will be calling you soon for an interview on Thursday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

IAMACMA in Henderson, Nevada

80 months ago

UPDATE ON PERSON WHO RESPONDED TO MY SEARCHING FOR A JOB.....
Well-I sent my resume. After countless calls and B.S. this woman just disappeared. Go figure huh? It's not bad enough that I'm struggling to find a job but NOW I'm faced with people who are only interested in playing cat and mouse games.
I will start looking for a job doing something else out of pure desparation. I'm facing a $10,000 loan on top of this nonsense. I truly wonder what it is with people who insist on playing games, making promises and then doing this. Maybe one day someone will understand just what a struggle this is. I am more than willing to start at pretty much any salary. I'm honest, caring and just a good person who's intelligent and wanting to find my niche. But this is what I get.....
I cannot express my level of frustration. It's just unreal.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Guide

Debi-People do this all the time on these forums,come on say they have a job but it turns out to be nothing,especially since they NEVER say who they really are,with some detailed information about their company. I have yet to see an update like yours though so thanks for posting.

Yeah,it's hard all right. I once posted a question on a website called "Advanced Medical Assistants of America" about whether it's easier to get a job as an inexperienced MA if you are younger rather than in your 40s,like I am (and it's been 2 years for me also). Nobody was willing to really answer it. Someone did say a younger person would be viewed as having more energy.

The only thing I have had luck with are health screenings,and there are a lot of companies that perform them. Do an online search for "Onsite health screenings (or wellness exams)". It's easy work,you go to a work site like a factory and do vitals on the workers. Some of these companies will even pay to fly you around to do them,like "Health Fitness".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

It was a legitimate business. Some "allergist or internal med dr"-John McAllister. She sent me the two addresses and had stories for it all. I called her "private number" and someone answered the phone and put me on hold and nothing. Then I called the "regular" number and got some BS story again followed by another few BS emails. It just really ticks me off.
I'll look into what you mentioned. I appreciate your help and encouragement. Nothing's easy. It just never ceases to amaze me that there are such mean people out there.
Thanks again and I wish you all the luck also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs Teacher

79 months ago

I teach at a vo-tech center and place students in medical settings for externship. The students that have a problem getting (and keeping) a job are usually the ones with lower than average employability skills.

We can teach students the skills of the job, but the so called "soft skills" such as getting along with others, positive attitude, puctual, great attendence are not so easy.

There is probably a reason you needed two externships and that after two years you don't have a job. The reason is you. How many interviews have you gone on? If not many, than you are not active enough in your job search. If you have gone on many, then maybe it is your interviewing skills. You might try contacting some places that didn't hire you and ask what you could have done differently. Revisit your resume. Is there something on it that deters potential employers or do you make it to the interview process and lose there?

Again, as an instructor I have a hard time believing your story. The fact that you gave out the doctors name and are bashing them, makes me sure I wouldn't want to hire you. Could it be they are avoiding you for a good reason?.

Also, did you make a good impression on externship? Over 90% of my students receive gainful employment with in 90 days of graduation. The students who do not, and complain, and complain, are the ones who lack proper social skills to land a position and keep it. They tend to be the ones who enjoy complaining and blaming rather than working and receiving a paycheck.

Just some thoughts from the other side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

First of all-you seem awfully angry and hostile. Second, the reason I had "two externships" was because the office manager knew I wanted to be in a medical setting where I'd be able to practice my skills that were taught me, rather than a podiatrist's office where I felt I had nothing to offer nor would I learn anything to help me in the future.
As far as my correspondence with Dr. McAllister's office is concerned I would be more than happy to send you ALL emails between her and myself so you can see for yourself what went down. I don't appreciate being lied to or having games played.
I haven't even gotten the chance to GO on interviews because the ads state "experience necessary". I have, however, sent my resumes. Feel free to comment on that as well as I'm sure you will. My feeling is that NO ONE should make ssumptions until they know all the facts Mrs. Teacher.
My interview skills are just fine thank you. I get the feeling that you are a bit too impressed with yourself. If you are such a professional then you should really do more research before you attack someone you know nothing about. And as far as my "bashing" the dr. and his staff-I didn't appreciate what they did to me either.
You have a lovely holiday weekend. I really have nothing else to express. That would only tell people that I am guilty of what you accused me of. So with that being said I suggest you give your advice to someone who really needs it. I wish those good luck. You don't seem to possess any empathy towards anyone-you must live here in Vegas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

little nicky in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

Forums like this are a great place to vent when things aren't going well. You have to vent SOMEWHERE! It's not like she would be venting like this at an interview. That was a pretty stupid thing to assume Mrs Teacher.

It's tough out there now for those over 40. It's even harder to have to compete with those younger applicants for the same jobs.

Honestly, I would have to say it's more about your age than anything else. Age discrimination is alive and well in America. Youth is so over-prized in this country, just witness the number of snotty, disinterested receptionists and assistants rolling their eyes and talking on their cell phones. They can be, they know that they could get another job in a heartbeat if need be.

Well Deb, I would like to think that sometime soon it will be realized that youth doesn't always equal an hardworking, upbeat, employee. In fact, some of those I have come across were socially unpleasant, and did more complaining than I ever did.

Keep pluggin along...you will find something that was meant for you. Employers will come to a point were they will prize experience over youth when they see their profits going down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Thank you so much for your support. At least there are some caring people around. It made me feel much better. Things are really tough for me right now and I didn't need that posting from her. But hey-that's the problem in this world. There are too many mean hateful people around. I happen to be a caring person who would be nothing more than an asset in ANY office. I guess it's their loss. I've done volunteer work in hospitals and patients have sat on the edges of their beds waiting for me each day.
No one will admit to the age discrimination situation which makes it a deep loss. I have been treated poorly repeatedly by young receptionists and either the doctors don't know or they just don't care.
Thank you again for your support.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

Guide

These forums ARE for venting and for offering helpful suggestions on finding work,not blaming someone when they can't. There are many who have no concept on what it is like to be fully trained for something and then the end result is that no matter what a person does or tries,they can't get a job,so it's assumed that there must be something wrong with that person. Sure there are many that had no business being in a medical assisting program but there are many more who had a perfect right to be and are now paying a price because of certain factors (such as coming from a school with a bad rep) that seems to prevent them from being hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Sometimes people just have to throw their two cents in to stir things up I guess. They have their own private issues and need to lash out at someone.
All I wanted was a job. PERIOD. I have much to offer and am an extremely nurturing person. I guess in this day and age that's not a good trait. There are always people who prey on other's vulnerabilities. That drs office was one of them. What can I say? It never ceases to amaze me how people can be so cruel.......
Good luck to all the well-intentioned people who went to school to become a caring MA and only got what I got.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

little nicky in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

Didn't go to school to become a MA, but I am experiencing the same as you. I KNOW what you are going through. Yep, it's tough.
It always amazes me too, that people have that kind of extra time to come on here and bash someone when their down, all in the name of "teaching" of course. One thing about these forums you have to keep in mind, anyone can post here and say they are whatever they want to be. Forums can be a great place to vent and get support from others like you, but also any idiot with computer access can ruin your day. I doubt very much if Mrs. Teacher is what she says she is.

Caring, dependable, people like you BELONG in your chosen profession, don't let anyone tell you any different. It will pay off, trust me. Just takes us a little longer, that's all.

Just keep trying till you find your perfect fit. It does exist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Thanks again. But since I"m going to be 59 next Tuesday I'm not sure I"m going to find a decent job at all. I'm seriously considering a PCA position. It's the only thing I can do. I'm discouraged and fed up. I do appreciate your encouragement. I wish you such good things to you because I can tell that you're an awesome person. Any time you need to chat I'm here for 'ya!

Mrs Teacher

79 months ago

Most of the employers in my medical community prefer the more mature student for externship and employment.

I still maintain my point that you need to analyze what is going wrong with your resume, interviews and potential employers. This includes some very serious (and yes potentially painful) self reflection. Since you have not been able to get a job in two years something is wrong and its not just your age.

I did make an assumption here though, an assumption that you were looking for help, ideas, tips, leads. I gave them to you. By bashing others, by name, in the medical community you are trying to enter, was not a good way to handle that problem. Even if it was a negative experience, be careful.

As I ended my earlier post. These are just thoughts from the other side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

LOL I refuse to dignify anything you write again. Spew your anger and hatred and "help" to someone else. You have no idea of what you are talking about. End of subject. It's apparent that you don't because no one agrees with you. I really don't care what you think of me. Have a wonderful day.
Why don't you chastise that "drs" office for playing games with me? Or is that acceptable with you? Never mind-I don't really care what your opinion is.
Let's just stop this ok? I don't need anymore stress and you don't need to lecture me when you don't even know me. I do plenty of "retrospection" every single day and i wonder about "people" like you.
Be happy and healthy. I will not respond to further postings from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mshmelling in Mattawan, Michigan

79 months ago

iam sixty frustrated also. discrimination is real. i realized that sadly i cant be what employers want me to be.
but it does no good to fret or complain .iam still plugging away with the faith and belief that i will eventually find a decent job. there is a fear among employers about hiring older people, its about high insurance costs and liability if one gets deathly sick. us older people are the black and other minorities of the past pre 1960s 50s etc. if a monority was lucky enough to find a decent job they had to work harder and prove themselves more than A CACU or white back then had to do.
the only other alternative as i see it now is to organize as martin luther king did and other civil rights leaders did and adopt an in your face atitude demanding that society as awhole treat us over 50 with the respect that we deserve. society in the 60s had to be compelled to do the right thing by the passing of the civil rights bill which made it a law that needed to be enforced to ensure that all minorities be treated fairly . perhaps a simular movement is needed now among us over50s eventhough that susposidly is already the law. id hate to see that happen though, i believe in freedom and america, and the free enterprise system. i think employers should basically be able to hire who they want but they should at least give the oppertunity to suceed or or to fail to us over 50 as they were sadly compelled to do for minorities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 and underemployed in Phoenix, Arizona

78 months ago

The age discrimination thing is huge! Especially for women over 50. I have been underemployed and unemployed since 2001! I used to make over 70K/year plus excellent benefits. I have passed two and three phone interviews but when I get to the over 50 white guy at the top of the food chain, he acts as though I am wasting his time! And they have this really confused look on their face during the entire interview. What's up with that? Is it some "code of the school yard" thing that they teach middle age white guys? Or are they naturally afraid of post menopausal women? I don't get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 and underemployed in Phoenix, Arizona

78 months ago

Mrs Teacher said: Most of the employers in my medical community prefer the more mature student for externship and employment.

I still maintain my point that you need to analyze what is going wrong with your resume, interviews and potential employers. This includes some very serious (and yes potentially painful) self reflection. Since you have not been able to get a job in two years something is wrong and its not just your age.

I did make an assumption here though, an assumption that you were looking for help, ideas, tips, leads. I gave them to you. By bashing others, by name, in the medical community you are trying to enter, was not a good way to handle that problem. Even if it was a negative experience, be careful.

I totally disagree with you. May I inquire as to YOUR age? I can tell by your answers that you are probably under 40. Wait til YOU experience it (age discrimination). It will blow your mind!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs Teacher

78 months ago

Apparently the point of my post has been missed.

I meant to convey that:

1. bashing a medical provider by name, in this forum, in the medical community you are attempting to gain employment in, is a very very bad move.

2. If you have not been able to even gain employment for two years, even entry level in any medical facility (as the original poster stated) then it may not be your age.

3. I offered areas to look at. Does she make it to an interview? How many in the past 24 months? If many than her resume is doing its job. If hardly any, the resume and presentation (email, personal delivery, networking, mail) may be something to look at. If she is not getting the jobs after an interview than it may be the interviewing skills that are lacking. I suggested bluntly asking them what critiques they could offer her.

4.Age Discrimination is alive and well, I agree. However my providers (externships and job opportunities) want me to send them mature students. By mature I don't mean age, I mean dedication, determination, respect, optimism, tolerance, and many other "soft skills" that employers want and need.

Honestly my older students are the ones who match their requirements and are offered the jobs.

That was my point and I still contend it is a good one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stephen in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

78 months ago

the economy is not doing so well, as we all know.
gotta have some patience

Much regards,
David
www.travellinesexpress.com
www.selfhelpgrowing.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah Schoenfeld in Las Vegas, Nevada

78 months ago

Actually I find it rather funny that EVERYONE seems to take the side of that drs office. But that'sok. That's just the way the world is. And before you continue to make statements about ME perhaps you should re-think that as well. As for my age I happen to be close to 60 than 50. What the reasons for my not getting a job in this town are I guess I'll never understand or know. It's been MY experience that the majority of offices are looking for experience ONLY. There is nothing wrong with my resume or my attitude and maybe, just maybe you should take a look at the person who responded to my ad and then continued to play little head games with me when she obviously had no intention of even getting to know the person I am.
I tried to get that posting with the drs name on it deleted just to make you people happy who can't get over it. I made a mistake with his first name anyway. If she is inclined to bash me after what she did to me then she's free to have at it. And the rest of you as well.
I'm tired of the judgemental responses I've gotten. And to those who teach-as the saying goes "those how can't do-teach".
I'm really not interested in the rest of your comments if you're intent on putting me down. I responded to that person with all good intentions. And since NONE of you were present at any interview I've gone on I suggest you keep your comments to yourselves.
My mistake for ever trying to vent my feelings on this board. It was the biggest mistake I made........after spending ten thousand dollars on a stupid attempt at trying to better myself with some school who was far from honest. They are now out of business. I rest my case.
Try being nice. It goes further than what you have been doing. Pay it forward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

joann in Ann Arbor, Michigan

78 months ago

I know that in some way but I have hope for the furture

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nita in Goldsboro, North Carolina

76 months ago

Debi said: I went to school to become a CMA. What they didn't tell me was it seems like no one wants someone who's over 50. It's all about the money. When I graduated they got me an externship working for a podiatrist!!! I learned about EKGs and Blood draws for THAT? I was lucky enough to find another Dr. who took me on for the rest of my externship. I worked there after it was over but then had my hours shortened so I had to leave. It's been TWO YEARS and I still can't find a job. It's the same old story.......you aren't hired because you don't have experience. HOW CAN YOU GET EXPERIENCE IF NO ONE WILL HIRE YOU???????
I have gotten divorced and can't get a life and support myself because of all this. Doesn't anyone care? I know how to deal with patients. I was a dental assistant for over 15 years. It's not brain surgery people.
Thanks for letting me vent. I'm sure it won't help me find a job but I feel your pain when I read postings about no one else being able to find a job either........

Debbi hang in there, I recently graduated 5/09 and passed the certification test. Unfortunately I havent found employent either. I live in NC and if you go online to the employment security commision they mostly want CNA's. I could have done that in 4monts vs 2 years I feel your pain.

Debi in Las Vegas, Nevada

76 months ago

Thanks for your support. The truth is that the schools should be more honest. I guess the hint for me should have been that I was the oldest student in the institute. But all they saw was money. They are now out of business and could care less about their students.....not that they cared much when there were in business!
One day maybe others will care about people and it won't just be all about the almighty buck.
I wish you much luck with your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs.Teacher

76 months ago

This is a tough job market right now. Follow up and networking are your best solutions.

I recommend following the application requirements whether it be an online application or a fax. Follow up with a nice hard copy with a cover letter. After a week and a half give a follow up phone call. Whats the worst that can happen?

I find that many students are intimidated and do not follow up or send more than one or two resumes a week. Activity produces results. You do not have to just apply or send resumes to places that are listing a job opening. Apply everywhere and keep a journal. Document when you sent the resume or applied, when you followed up and with whom you spoke. you may even create a new networking contact.

Finally most employment is obtained by networking and referrals. Your teachers, school administrators, counselors, students in your program and others as well as your externship coworkers have all seen your value and if you made a good impression will be willing to keep an eye out for you. Keep in touch with them often. My students should have 15-20 good contacts just from school alone. Don't write them off yet!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Experienced MA in Phoenix, Arizona

75 months ago

This forum has actually helped me realize that I am not alone, which is how I have felt for months!

Mrs. Teacher is right...this is a VERY difficult job market at the moment. I graduated as a Medical Assistant in 1999, worked in reputable clinics and eventually became an instructor at a private college. Within three years I became the program director. It was great!!!

I moved to Arizona in June to care for a sick relative. I had a few potential jobs lined up and thought that it would be easy.
Well...I've been here three months and hardly even get call backs when I send out my resume, and the clinics that I apply to all tell me I'm overqualified. Even the teaching jobs appear to be nonexistent.

I also wanted to say that I don't feel Mrs. Teacher was being angry or hateful, she was trying to convey the idea that soft skills can make or break a job hunt.

Good luck to everyone! Lets hope 09 is better then 08!!

iamacma in Las Vegas, Nevada

75 months ago

Actually the truth is that I don't even get to send my resume out. I respond to ads and NOTHING. Same as you. I am in my late 50s with no prospects AND we are going to lose our home next. My resume has nothing to do with anything. But what angers and hurts me most is that someone took the time to send out a phone number......made empty promises and then left me feeling even worse than before. No one seems to understand that part of it. But really it's ok. When I'm living in the streets I'm sure that my loan will still be there and no one will give a damn then either. When I was a kid I could have any job I wanted when I was a Dental Assistant. Funny how life can be isn't it? I never thought things would turn out this way but then again I"m sure alot of people are thinking the same thing.
It really doesn't matter anymore.

75 months ago

you sound scared and I don't blame you. My home back in MN is also in forclosure and I have no hope of saving it. My car is about to be repo'd and with my aunt ill and my husband only being able to find a menial job for very low pay i'm not even sure how much longer I will keep the electricity on.

I feel your pain! I'm scared too!

All we can do is push forward and pray that things will turn around. Good luck to you and God Bless.

75 months ago

Thank you so much. I hope things get better for you. It's nice to know that there are some genuine people around. Vegas is nothing more than a cess pool. If I could I'd send you money to help you but I just can't. I hope something good happens for you and your family and thank you so much for taking the time to let me know someone cares........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Holden, Massachusetts

75 months ago

Debi said: I went to school to become a CMA. What they didn't tell me was it seems like no one wants someone who's over 50. It's all about the money. When I graduated they got me an externship working for a podiatrist!!! I learned about EKGs and Blood draws for THAT? I was lucky enough to find another Dr. who took me on for the rest of my externship. I worked there after it was over but then had my hours shortened so I had to leave. It's been TWO YEARS and I still can't find a job. It's the same old story.......you aren't hired because you don't have experience. HOW CAN YOU GET EXPERIENCE IF NO ONE WILL HIRE YOU???????

First of all externship is only considered as another class, so it doesn't really matter what kind of office you went to. Some people go to Dermatology or eye doctors. There is no such thing as you can't find a job, have you applied for admitting at the local hospital or MRI Service coordinator or unit secretary? How about Phlebotomy or EKG tech, you are eligible for all of these things under a CMA. Don't just apply online, it's like dropping your resume into a dark hole. Physically bring your resume or fax it or mail it. Age has nothing to do with it. At least prosepective employers know that you won't have babysitter issues, like so many people have, so that is a plus, also the maturity level is higher, another plus, work ethic is probably better. You need to focus on these positives! You will get a job!

My2Cents

75 months ago

Mrs Teacher said: Most of the employers in my medical community prefer the more mature student for externship and employment.

Ms Teacher, I think you are extremely naive to the unemployment situation we are faced with today. Many highly qualified and socially acceptable (if I may) individuals are working full time at trying to find a decent job in their chosen field. It is with 100% confidence I can also state that age discrimination is a huge factor. It is a shame. If for some unfortunate reason you find yourself out of work at the age of 50, no matter how professional, well liked, or talented you are, you are in for the eye opening fight of your life. You will never be told, by the way, that the reason they did not hire you is because of your age. That is illegal; of course they will not give you the real reason. Consider this also, most people interviewing these 50+ and highly qualified and experienced candidates are half their age with less maturity, less experience, less professionalism, less worldly knowledge, and usually less talent. Yet, they have their own image of who they want to hire, and it is not someone twice their age. Why? Because...these young interviewers/recruiters themselves lack the knowledge, experience, maturity, talent to spot the best talent based on the

My2Cents

75 months ago

...based on their own bias. The ones really being hurt by this, obviously the 50+ year old unfortunate enough to find themself in the job market - and the collateral damage...the company that missed out on a fabulous employee.

Mrs. Teacher

75 months ago

Debbie said she doesnt even "get" to send out her resume! I didn't know that hitting 50 would do that.

The economy is hard right now. Hiring freezes are all over every industry. Even more so than the five months or so ago that this post started. And especially not two years ago when this all started with Debbie and age discrimination.

Debbie is like some of my students. If she doesnt even "get" to try, I will expect she will not get a job for the next two years.

Attitude and activity was my point. The job fairy with a $20/hr job is not going to fly into your living room with an offer today.

I know my students dont really believe the above, but they sure act like they do.

75 months ago

As far as the word "GET" goes..........What I meant whas I don't "GET" responses before I sent my resume out. I"m sick and tired of having to defend myself. I am not sitting in my living room waiting for the job fairy. Please-give it a rest. You're only showing your ignorance by getting on my case every time I say something in these posts.

Maybe one day you'll understand that there are people who don't have any hidden agendas or lie about what they state. You have no idea of what you're pontificating about so get a life already and get off my ass. You don't know me-I don't know you but I certainly know that you are making blanket statements about something you know NOTHING about.

Whether I was "bashing " anyone certainly has nothing to do with you so why don't you find something else to get nasty about? Geeze. My stress level is out the door and when I come on here to read your ridiculous remarks it only angers me more.

You don't know much about the real world do you? Find something constructive to do with your time other than to make baseless remarks about someone you know nothing about. This is a struggle you shouldn't even have to experience. But the way things are-you never know do you? You may be the next one to lose YOUR job.........then see how happy you are and what you'll be up against and I truly hope you run into the lack of compassion that YOU display. Have a wonderful weekend. Find something to do other than draw empty conclusions about someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. Teacher

75 months ago

I am sorry, I misunderstood "get" and I have assumed since you made a post on this public forum, you realized everyone would not coddle you.

Most important though is why do you wait for responses to send a resume?

Mrs. Teacher

75 months ago

Oh Yeah.

Bashing the doctor, by name, for giving you the run around and not hiring you was the reason I first posted. They knew you were over 50!
That was not age discrimination on their part, but almost slander on yours.

Not the way to get a job in a medical community that uses this board.

75 months ago

yup-i was 'bashing' the dr. that's why i tried getting the post deleted more than once. serves me right for not being able to get a job now. you're so right. have a nice day.

RM in Gilbert, Arizona

75 months ago

I have been watching this thread for awhile. I am 51 and looking for work in another field and believe me, age and gender discrimination exists. Nobody wants to hire their mother! It actually starts just after age 40, as the actuarial charts start showing an uptick in medical costs. For this reason alone, age discrimination is built into the fabric of our financial system-- the very same system that is currently failing us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

RM in Gilbert, Arizona

75 months ago

Mrs. Teacher said: Oh Yeah.

Bashing the doctor, by name, for giving you the run around and not hiring you was the reason I first posted. They knew you were over 50!
That was not age discrimination on their part, but almost slander on yours.

Not the way to get a job in a medical community that uses this board.

I never saw the Doctor's name. Was that on THIS list?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. Allen

75 months ago

Yes the doc name is on this list. But the original poster states she has tried to get it off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. Allen

75 months ago

Good news is the poster states she messed up on the name. So thank god its not real.

Had me going. I thought it was real and couldn't believe it.

Steven in Sumter, South Carolina

75 months ago

Best way to solve age discrimination. Work for yourself. That or do what I decided in my 20's, be retired before my 50's.

75 months ago

Steven in Sumter, South Carolina said: Best way to solve age discrimination. Work for yourself. That or do what I decided in my 20's, be retired before my 50's.

lol...Okay, everyone just go work for yourself.
If only it were that easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs Teacher

75 months ago

or marry into money. I tried both.

Ms. Senion in Seminole, Florida

75 months ago

Ms. Teacher, you do give some good advice. However, I am over fifty, live in FL, and the economy is wicked here.

I have been burned before by private schools. Paying money for a new career field for naught.

I just wish that the medical assisting school I attended would have been honest with me, telling me that I am not employable in this field because of my age.

I am out of work, and out of funds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

It's ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL about the money. And if the school DID tell you that you're too old then it would have been a discrimination issue! They can't come out and tell you that. And again-it's about the money. WHY would they pass up someone who's going to pay them all that money? The school I went to is now closed. Go figure huh?
You're not the only person in this situation. It's scarey and sad and very frustrating. In Vegas it's all about what you look like and how young you are-NOT how old you are. Go into most offices and there aren't any women in their 50s or 40s for that matter.
Hang in there. Try to think that things will change for the better. I know what you're going through.

Scoots in West Union, Ohio

51 months ago

SO many months later I come upon this thread. Debi, I hope you found a job by now! Me, I am 55, have a 20+ year history of working in health care, laid off 4 times in 5 years, and this last time for almost 2 years. THERE ARE NO JOBS OUT THERE FOR most of us, especially the 50+ crowd. I should know, I just spent 2 years sending out 100s or resumes. TWO YEARS ago I got calls and interviews rather easily. Now? Nothing. SO...I enrolled in a local community college for an MA program and now find myself as disenchanted as ever about potential employment as an MA AT ALL and about how expensive the program is over 2 academic years. How can it be worth $20,000 to either be unemployed all over (or still) or make $9-11 an hour after all that? I can go out as a CNA after a 3 week vocational school course and make $12 an hour! Point is not so much the money as a job is better than NO job, but after going through hell to get the coursework done and racking up a hugh student loan it doen't take a genuis to figure out that this all must be a hugh rip-off and waste of time. Especially since most MA positions advertised don't require a CMA, RMA or degree. Right now I am taking a college level course teaching how to take a message or answer a phone in an office! Give me a break! How ridiculous! I am beginning to believe that an MA is nothing more than a glorified "doctor's gopher/secretary" doing the crap work of the medical office (scheduling, cleaning, answering phones, dealing with irate patients, ETC.) I hope to make a decision very soon about continuing or switching over to something else or just dropping all the courses and going back to job hunting doing anything. I mean ANYTHING.

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

51 months ago

Guide

Well written. I got a lot of training 5+ years ago and now I am looking for cleaning jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda S. in Beaverton, Oregon

50 months ago

I feel everybody's pain, here. I am 53 and after being laid off from my job two years ago I enrolled in a MA program, graduated and got certified June/2010. Still looking for a job. Even the nurse's aides jobs in senior living centers (not called "nursing homes" any more) require certification. When I did that kind of work back in my 20's, certification was not required at most facilities. I thought that kind of work NOBODY wanted to do, and I could always do that if I couldn't find any other job. After going through MA training I don't want again to have to go back to school to become a certified nurse's aide! I am looking for a solution to this ageism problem. Can't affirmative action be used in our case? Mandate that comapanies have to hire so many individuals in older age brackets proportionate to how many employees they have? I don't know...just looking for solutions.

Bob T in Beachwood, Ohio

47 months ago

I am just wondering if you should try to become a nurse. At our community college it is a 2 year course. I am probably going to do it , even tho i really dont want to be a nurse. There are not really many jobs out there other than these. I am in my 40's and i need to find something in which i can work. LC i live in Cleveland and think you should give it a try.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.