Is Coding & Billing Being Outsourced Overseas?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 86)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

LisaMD in Maryland

69 months ago

Is outsourcing of medical billing and coding to India becoming a growing trend? I just passed my CPC (yesterday :)} and I am interviewing for jobs. A manager mentioned to me that a large local practice & another company were outsourcing their work to India. With the economy the way it is, I am concerned that this is true and will make entering the field even harder

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

68 months ago

working on both sides ..for insurance comapany and medical provider.
Medical Billng/Coding has been outsourced to countries for last
ten years that I have know. Indian,Jamacia,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

3184 in Killeen, Texas

64 months ago

1689

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kris in Sarasota, Florida

63 months ago

While I think that medical transcription can and is being outsourced, I think that outsourcing medical coding could cause major problems, and one thing we all know...doctors want to get paid.

One job I worked in had outsourced the medical transcription, and I was specifically hired to provide quality control. That was a full-time job in its own right; I would hate to think what would happen in the sense of medical coding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

shirley blesnuk in Buffalo, New York

63 months ago

To Lisa in MD--coding is being outsourced by a large hospital in Orlando FL so I would think many other hospitals and medical offices will be doing the same thing to save $$$$. It is unfortunate I am also certified as 2008 and cannot find a coding position in any of the states I applied. Companies are not hiring CPC's with limited or no experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annie21 in Millington, Michigan

63 months ago

I would honestly be suprised if hospitals went to overseas coding. As someone mentioned above, there are huge HIPAA issues. Then you get into issues of accuracy--with the RAC audits now happening hospitals are more cautious than ever when it comes to their coding.

Even if it does shift, facilities will still need to have coders on staff to review charts. IMO the majority of jobs are safe. I know of two facilities that hired transcription services from overseas and the quality was so poor that they had to have full time staff just to review the reports! Both facilities stopped after a few months and restarted their transcription in-house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shirley blesnuk in Buffalo, New York

63 months ago

I know someone with many credentials that went to Orlando FL for a coding convention and she was told that a large hospital in Orlando was outsourcing their coding. I am sure most are not as of right now but you never know what can happen down the road. I just wish I would have done more research before I left a good job to pursue a career in coding only because without the experience most places won't even give you an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa in Orlando, Florida

63 months ago

shirley blesnuk in Buffalo, New York said: To Lisa in MD--coding is being outsourced by a large hospital in Orlando FL so I would think many other hospitals and medical offices will be doing the same thing to save $$$$. It is unfortunate I am also certified as 2008 and cannot find a coding position in any of the states I applied. Companies are not hiring CPC's with limited or no experience.

I am currently working to complete a coding certification. Can you tell me which hospital it is in Orlando? That is so discouraging as I live here and do not currently work locally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shirley blesnuk in Buffalo, New York

63 months ago

Hi Teresa-I do not know the name of the hospital in Orlando that does outsourcing the conversation I had with my teacher was brief and she never mentioned the name.  I do see there are many hospitals in the Orlando area that hire coders with experience. I feel your pain though it is very difficult to stay positive when you spend time and money going to school for something and you can't even get an interview. I have been trying to contact people that are involved in the chapters in different states.I have only got a few responses and they just tell me to keep applying. They told me to take a billing job if I have to just to get my foot in the door. Sorry I wish I could give you more positive feedback. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kris Leitz in Sarasota, Florida

63 months ago

I think that the hospital in Orlando that is outsourcing their coding is going to find that it is going to bite them on the a$$. With Medicare putting a lot more restrictions on what they are going to pay (i.e. if a pt acquires a health acquired condition - infection, falls, etc.), hospitals are going to need to be super diligent in their coding and reviewing of charts. Also, HIPAA is another big issue.

Think about it...when you look at the job list on this website, 99.9% seem to be looking for people with at least 2 years of experience, plus certifications - CCS, RHIT/RHIA. At least on site, they can monitor their coders...how can they do that if it is outsourced.

Those facilities that do outsource may find themselves in real hot water if PHI is breeched. Think of all the information on billing forms...talk about identity theft. It scares me just to think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Zebulon, North Carolina

63 months ago

I worry less about coding being outsourced than I do about computerized coding. The results would still need to be reviewed for accuracy or omissions, and I wonder how well they abstract.
The fact does remain that it is extremely difficult to get a coding job, even if you're credentialed. How are you supposed to get acute care experience when no one will hire you? And forget about trying to learn inpatient coding. But I digress...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

donmar in Utica, Michigan

62 months ago

Its unfortunate AAPC, the organization that certifies coders has been training people in India since 2007 in Coding, Billing and Medical Transcription. I work at a hospital in the Detroit area, and they send a good portion of their medical transcription to India. Pitiful when you read about a patient with a pancreatic "mask" or medical records filled with blanks where either the transcriptionist couldn't understand the foreign doctor, or they couldn't grasp 20% of the dictation, for whatever reason. A simple word as "went" is spelled "whent". If US staff typed this mess, we'd be fired. Shame on the hospitals that offshore, in order to save paying out benefits and salary. They get what they pay for, and maybe Medicare will need to embarrass these institutions by sending the medical record back to be rewritten! If hospitals aren't offshoring their billing, they're outsourcing their coding/billing. Those newly certified may need to look into an outsourcing company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PMRNC in New York

62 months ago

Yes, and it's been going on for years. Even HBMA seems to support or at least have no problems with supporting offshore outsourcing.
I've been trying to gather signatures for HR 427 which would require providers to notify patient's before outsourcing personal information. It isn't going to stop it but it is going to put control BACK into the consumer's (Patient's) hands by giving patient's the opportunity to say "NO" you may not send my personal health information overseas!
the petition is at the following link:
www.rallycongress.com/support-for-h-r-427-nabopia/

Those that belong to professional organizations that don't seem to care need to take a stand as well and let them know it's not ok to turn a blind eye while these offshore companies not only steal jobs from us but breach our privacy act and are NOT legally bound by our rules/laws!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

shirley blesnuk in Buffalo, New York

62 months ago

I was thinking the same thing when I saw on the AAPC website the application for people in India to take the coding exam.  I think it is a disgrace that the AAPC would support and promote people in another country taking jobs away from people here in the United States.  What's it going to take for people to wake up? I guess how much money their going to make by promoting coding in other countries is all they care about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SDP Seattle in Bellevue, Washington

56 months ago

I am seriuolsy considering starting a 9 month medical coding program. After reading this I'm wondering if it will be worth it? Has anyone had a different experience, better luck finding a job? Is it easier in a larger city?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

donmar in rochester, Michigan

56 months ago

I became certified in 2006, but I don't know if I would do it in 2010. It doesn't seem to matter if you're working in a large city vs.smaller one; companies are finding it advantageous to offshore due to cost saving measures for the organization. I'd like to hear from anyone who is working for a Billing/Coding Outsourcing company. When I retire from my current Coding job at a hospital, I'd like to know if they're are more job opportunities for Billers and Coders in the Outsourcing field? Unfortunately, I'm hearing it is not just the medical field, but State and Local jobs are being outsourced so they don't have to pay benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sblesnuk in Buffalo, New York

56 months ago

Coding is an extremely hard field to get into without experience. I have 20 years in the billing/coding field but recently became certified and I still am not considered for coding positions. I did get a job but it was only because I knew the person who interviewed me and she knew my work ethic and medical background. I also make much more money with my cleaning company than as a coder. Very sad but true. Just wanted to give you something to think about not trying to discourage anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susie in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

56 months ago

I was wondering if you own your own cleaning business and how do you advertise your business? I am another victim to the coding field and have not had any luck finding a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sblesnuk in Buffalo, New York

56 months ago

Susie in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: I was wondering if you own your own cleaning business and how do you advertise your business? I am another victim to the coding field and have not had any luck finding a job.

I do own my own cleaning business I started it 2 years ago when I decided to go to school for coding. I worked with my sister cleaning and then I just put an add in a newspaper that is published every week. I also got jobs by word of mouth. I love the flexibility it has to offer and the money you can make is incredible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

BaltoCoder in Maryland

56 months ago

I think that, because of the economy, finding a job without experience is tough no matter what field you want. Plus, the fields that may have the highest number of opennings may not have the wages you want.

According to the BLS, the two industries with the most jobs open and the best future growth are Service and Professional. In those two industries, the top areas are a. Service- Food Prep, Food Service, and Healthcare Support b. Professional(75% of the jobs in this grp are in: Computers/Math, Health & Technical Practioners and Education.)

So this means it is REALLY easy to get a job at McDonalds, Outback, Subway... It is so competitive from the employers' standpt that no experience or education is reqd, BUT the median wage (50% make more and 50% make less) is $7.24/hr. In the Healthcare SUPPORT field the jobs such as Dental and Medical Asst, Phys Therap Asst and Pharm Asst usually require a HS diploma and vocational training. The median salary in this group is about $14/hr.

The Professional Industry (#2 on job opennings)-lots of growth, lots of jobs. The education/training spans AA degrees to Medical School. At the lower end of the education reqs is Pharm Tech, Health Info Tech, LPN, Dental Hygien, Teaching Asst and Preschool Teacher. The median salary is from $12/hr (Pharm Tech, Preschool and Teaching Asst) to $17 (HIT & Recreational Therap), $20/hr (LPN & Cardio Tech)to $24/hr for Resp. Therap & $30/hr for Hygientist. Careers w/Bach degree-Teacher ($21/hr), Dietician ($23/hr), RN ($30/hr), Software Eng and Syst Anal ($35). Masters and above per hr -Librarian ($24), teachers ($30), RNs and Actuaries ($40), Drs and surg ($60-$100).

To wrap it up, decide what you like to do, how much education you are willing to get and how bothered you are by bodily fluids :) since you will notice a Dental Hygien w/AA degree and a teacher with a Masters degree both make $30/hr apx.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SDP Seattle in Bellevue, Washington

56 months ago

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming, it is helpful. I have an AA degree in Dietetic Technology and after working as a Renal Nutritionist for almost 8 years was laid off & have not been able to find another Diet Tech job in the last 6 months and I live in a huge metropolitan area. I am giving in and thinking I need to go back to school. All of the feedback I've gotten about coding (not just on this site) is not good as far as being able to get a job is concerned. So now I'm wondering about certification in Medical Billing, most of the many job openings for these positions in my area say you need to be "familiar" with medical coding. I know I'll never be able to take any of the coding exams and become a professional coder... but I proably can get a job.
Does HIT stand for Health Information Technician? This is a tough decision at 51 years of age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sblesnuk in Buffalo, New York

56 months ago

If money is not important just having a job you may want to consider billing over coding. Billing generally only starts at $12-15.00 an hour. Coding if your lucky enough to get a job with only the certification no experience around $15.00 an hour. I left a position two years ago making $18.00 an hour to go back to school for coding thinking it would be more stable than the job I had. Wrong I took a $3.00 an hour pay cut. BIG MISTAKE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patti in Wagener, South Carolina

56 months ago

Susie in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: I was wondering if you own your own cleaning business and how do you advertise your business? I am another victim to the coding field and have not had any luck finding a job.

Flyers work, I did that one time. I put so many colored flyers on so many cars that I had too much business. You just make up a flyer, go get colored paper and run off copies. You can get you children involved or just do this yourself. Leave them on windshields, go into businesses and ask if you can leave a flyer, they usually say yes. Try it, I hope it works for you like it did for me. I too am a victim of the "coding field" and they are still saying the same thing "take this course, be a coder, work at home" it is all not true. I have not been able to find a job and I have almost two years experience. Good luck with the flyers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patti in Wagener, South Carolina

56 months ago

donmar in rochester, Michigan said: I became certified in 2006, but I don't know if I would do it in 2010. It doesn't seem to matter if you're working in a large city vs.smaller one; companies are finding it advantageous to offshore due to cost saving measures for the organization. I'd like to hear from anyone who is working for a Billing/Coding Outsourcing company. When I retire from my current Coding job at a hospital, I'd like to know if they're are more job opportunities for Billers and Coders in the Outsourcing field? Unfortunately, I'm hearing it is not just the medical field, but State and Local jobs are being outsourced so they don't have to pay benefits.

I would like to know too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Monica Atlanta GA in Acworth, Georgia

56 months ago

I have been working in the health care administration filed for over 5 years in medical records ether working for a small private medical practice or a large medical coding / billing company. I was lade off from my job on March 5th 09 at this large medical billing/coding company after 2 years of serves as a medical records rep.

I just turned 24 a few months ago, and this past summer I decided to further my medical career so now am at a great local community college in the Allied Health Certified Medical Coding and Billing Specialist program. It's a 12-month program that is listed under the Medical Assistant degree program as well.

I guess the good news is a lot of the prerequisite and curriculum classes are the some for the certified medical assistant and the certified medical coding specialist, but I am very concerned about what I'm hearing and reading in regards to the future outlook of the medical coder and biller with the outsourcing of billing jobs and computerized coding.

My question is what would benefit a person like me more? I already have years of experience in the medical records health care admin filed. Medical assisting and Medical Coding both interest me. I could go ether way in the program I'm in, ether focusing more in coding or medical assisting, or perhaps a duel certification in both.

I have completed all of my prerequisites courses and now it's time to pick an area of focus.

I’m young and very concerned about my future in the health Care filed.
Should I focus on the coding certification or medical assistant certification or both.

FYI I have no previous experience as a coder and after I graduate I was considering taking the CPC under the AAPC.

Please would any one with experience give a young person like me any
Advice☺

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Monica Atlanta GA in Acworth, Georgia

56 months ago

I have been working in the health care administration filed for over 5 years in medical records ether working for a small private medical practice or a large medical coding / billing company. I was lade off from my job on March 5th 09 at this large medical billing/coding company after 2 years of serves as a medical records rep.

I just turned 24 a few months ago, and this past summer I decided to further my medical career so now am at a great local community college in the Allied Health Certified Medical Coding and Billing Specialist program. It's a 12-month program that is listed under the Medical Assistant degree program as well.

I guess the good news is a lot of the prerequisite and curriculum classes are the some for the certified medical assistant and the certified medical coding specialist, but I am very concerned about what I'm hearing and reading in regards to the future outlook of the medical coder and biller with the outsourcing of billing jobs and computerized coding.

My question is what would benefit a person like me more? I already have years of experience in the medical records health care admin filed. Medical assisting and Medical Coding both interest me. I could go ether way in the program I'm in, ether focusing more in coding or medical assisting, or perhaps a duel certification in both.

I have completed all of my prerequisites courses and now it's time to pick an area of focus.

I’m young and very concerned about my future in the health Care filed.
Should I focus on the coding certification or medical assistant certification or both.

FYI I have no previous experience as a coder and after I graduate I was considering taking the CPC under the AAPC.

Please would any one with experience give a young person like me any
Advice☺

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sblesnuk in Buffalo, New York

56 months ago

I have 22 years in the medical billing field and 2 years in coding. If I were to do it all over again I would go into a field that pays more such as radiology, nursing or some kind of tech program. I think you would be better off getting into the medical assistant program I think it will be easier to get a job with no experience. It has been extremely difficult finding work as a coder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

donmar in rochester, Michigan

56 months ago

I was a medical biller 25 yrs before becoming certified in coding. Four yrs ago, it appeared the Coding field was wide open, coders were in demand, but as the workforce goes, so goes the healthcare field. I realize Customer Service and some billing has been outsourced in the past decade, but had not heard of Coding going that way, until 2 yrs ago. When I heard AAPC was overseas training people in India in Coding and Billing, I was stunned. I asked some of my Indian coworkers and they suggested I google in "coding India" and read the news. I know of several hospitals that send their medical transription to India, their I.T departments are located overseas also. My feeling, is go into a profession that CANNOT be outsourced, as in face to face patient contact. I started in healthcare in 1980 and I don't like the changes. Many of my coworkers suggest the same, especially we older ones that have been in the Billing/Coding field 20yrs +. RN, Lab Tech, Rad Techs, etc, all have to be present to do their work. Any job related to paper, or phone work, can be outsourced. You might want to do some detective work and contact Dr's offices and hospitals to see who is doing their billing/coding? If it's outsourced, but work is being performed in America, that is fine,but if you discover their billing/coding is going overseas, add up your answers. Unsure if Billing Depts will level with you on this issue,but there may be Internet searches you can do. Just a FYI..to those facilites who outsource overseas to save a dollar...administrators might take a glance at your medical records and take note of the spelling, incorrect terminology along with other terminology in the patient's medical record. I would think the inconsistencies is a poor reflection on the hospital or doctor in their ability to submit a clean claim to the insurance carrier! Someone else in this forum suggested patients need to take a stand with their doctor who may be sending personal info, overseas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patti in Wagener, South Carolina

56 months ago

I totally agree, I have a RHIT and have been looking for a job and there is nothing out there. One thing I have noted is that they want at least 3 years experience and then that is usually in inpatient. Personally, I would not recommend this field to anyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patti in Wagener, South Carolina

56 months ago

I have signed the petition and will continue to support it in any way I can, thank you for passing the information along and making us aware that we do have a voice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SRivera in Arvada, Colorado

53 months ago

PMRNC in New York said: Yes, and it's been going on for years. Even HBMA seems to support or at least have no problems with supporting offshore outsourcing.
I've been trying to gather signatures for HR 427 which would require providers to notify patient's before outsourcing personal information. It isn't going to stop it but it is going to put control BACK into the consumer's (Patient's) hands by giving patient's the opportunity to say "NO" you may not send my personal health information overseas!
the petition is at the following link:
www.rallycongress.com/support-for-h-r-427-nabopia/

Those that belong to professional organizations that don't seem to care need to take a stand as well and let them know it's not ok to turn a blind eye while these offshore companies not only steal jobs from us but breach our privacy act and are NOT legally bound by our rules/laws!

I think the petition is a wonderful thing. I would not even support a provider who sends medical records overseas. How awful. These people are the reason why our economy is doing so badly. Eventually they will start losing money because if we don't have a job due to it being outsourced, then how can we be a patients and pay for our care? I rather just stay healthy and save my money rather than seek their expensive services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

SABBERDAB in Mount Vernon, Washington

47 months ago

Monica Atlanta GA in Acworth, Georgia said: I have been working in the health care administration filed for over 5 years in medical records ether working for a small private medical practice or a large medical coding / billing company. I was lade off from my job on March 5th 09 at this large medical billing/coding company after 2 years of serves as a medical records rep.

I just turned 24 a few months ago, and this past summer I decided to further my medical career so now am at a great local community college in the Allied Health Certified Medical Coding and Billing Specialist program. It's a 12-month program that is listed under the Medical Assistant degree program as well.

I guess the good news is a lot of the prerequisite and curriculum classes are the some for the certified medical assistant and the certified medical coding specialist, but I am very concerned about what I'm hearing and reading in regards to the future outlook of the medical coder and biller with the outsourcing of billing jobs and computerized coding.

My question is what would benefit a person like me more? I already have years of experience in the medical records health care admin filed. Medical assisting and Medical Coding both interest me. I could go ether way in the program I'm in, ether focusing more in coding or medical assisting, or perhaps a duel certification in both.

I have completed all of my prerequisites courses and now it's time to pick an area of focus.

I’m young and very concerned about my future in the health Care filed.
Should I focus on the coding certification or medical assistant certification or both.

FYI I have no previous experience as a coder and after I graduate I was considering taking the CPC under the AAPC.

Please would any one with experience give a young person like me any
Advice☺

I'm sorry to be so blunt. But you could start by checking your spelling. Spelling errors lead to coding/billing errors and medical mistakes-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

47 months ago

SABBERDAB in Mount Vernon, Washington said: I'm sorry to be so blunt. But you could start by checking your spelling. Spelling errors lead to coding/billing errors and medical mistakes-

There is no edit option with indeed, which doesn't make any sense. when you are writing a lenghty response it is easy to misspell a word.

And you should take your grammatical concerns up with a physician, they are the only ones that spell anything, in the coding field, we use codes, not words.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monica Atlanta GA in Marietta, Georgia

47 months ago

Im sorry to be so blunt ,but get a life was in rush when I wrote this like forever ago
and I'm about to graduate from my program in a few and I was just hired as MA for a nice Dermatology practice!!
I must be doing something right thanks!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

patti in Wagener, South Carolina

47 months ago

Hi there,

I understand your concern so let me start by saying that I completed the RN program, failed the last class that was my second "D" so I walked away with nothing. Then I completed the two year program for medical coding and received my RHIT. CCS and CPC are certificates, RHIT is an Associates Degree in Health Information Management. Having said all that, I would not recommend medical coding right now, you have to have at least three years experience and maybe you can use the experience that you already have which would be great. That is a hard field and I have been without work for months now, it has been very difficult to get the experience that I have. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MEDICAL CODING!! Do something like dental assistant, surgical tech, even radiology. I wish you luck and hopefully I have completed this without spelling errors, it is always good to look over your work, you will improve with your prerequisites, hang in there kiddo you are young, don't waste time with medical coding right now, that is my advice. If you do decide to go that route, try to get your instructor to get a hospital to let you intern, do what you can to get your foot in the door. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

patti in Wagener, South Carolina

47 months ago

That is great, I am glad for you, I should have read further to see how you did. I am still looking and really started putting my resume out there. I am not far from Georgia and am considering circulating my resume there. I am happy it was not a bad experience for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

47 months ago

patti in Wagener, South Carolina said: Hi there,

I understand your concern so let me start by saying that I completed the RN program, failed the last class that was my second "D" so I walked away with nothing. Then I completed the two year program for medical coding and received my RHIT. CCS and CPC are certificates, RHIT is an Associates Degree in Health Information Management. Having said all that, I would not recommend medical coding right now, you have to have at least three years experience and maybe you can use the experience that you already have which would be great. That is a hard field and I have been without work for months now, it has been very difficult to get the experience that I have. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MEDICAL CODING!! Do something like dental assistant, surgical tech, even radiology. I wish you luck and hopefully I have completed this without spelling errors, it is always good to look over your work, you will improve with your prerequisites, hang in there kiddo you are young, don't waste time with medical coding right now, that is my advice. If you do decide to go that route, try to get your instructor to get a hospital to let you intern, do what you can to get your foot in the door. Good luck!

while coding is hard to get into, if you browse this forum you will quickly see that surgical techs and radiology are in the same situation of over saturation and most people who post in the DA forums say they HATE their jobs.

there are ways to break into coding, but it requires taking a step down and starting at the bottom. Many struggle with this because they feel that they should be able to get a coding job right away, unfortunately that is not the case. Start somewhere else in HIM. gain experience and move over to coding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monica Atlanta GA in Powder Springs, Georgia

47 months ago

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah said: while coding is hard to get into, if you browse this forum you will quickly see that surgical techs and radiology are in the same situation of over saturation and most people who post in the DA forums say they HATE their jobs.

there are ways to break into coding, but it requires taking a step down and starting at the bottom. Many struggle with this because they feel that they should be able to get a coding job right away, unfortunately that is not the case. Start somewhere else in HIM. gain experience and move over to coding.

Thanks so much for your advice and I sorta figured that coding would be hard to get into from what i have heard so i decided to become a MA..
Thanks again and best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Cape Coral, Florida

46 months ago

Bharanidharan in Madras, India said: I am bharanidharan, medical coder in chennai. Three years experiance. CPC certified. I have my dreams to get jobs in america. Is it possible to get medical coding jobs in any states of america?
Please any one clarify me. It is very important to me. Thanking u

Yes, Every State in America need coders. I you look at Magazines like "For the Record", you will see how many hospitals and businesses are looking for coders.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zyra in NC, in Wake Forest, North Carolina

45 months ago

sblesnuk in Buffalo, New York said: Coding is an extremely hard field to get into without experience. I have 20 years in the billing/coding field but recently became certified and I still am not considered for coding positions. I did get a job but it was only because I knew the person who interviewed me and she knew my work ethic and medical background. I also make much more money with my cleaning company than as a coder. Very sad but true. Just wanted to give you something to think about not trying to discourage anyone.

Hey, I'm taking a boot camp class right now in order to sit for my exam as an CPC, I"ve called around to a lot of places in New York which is where I"m moving back to, but also in NC, to see if I can get my feet wet, no one is willing to even let you come in and train or observe, in order to gain experience. after reading all the responces I hope I havent wasted 2 years of education. it was not cheap. Is there any one that knows any agencys in New York, The Bronx or Mahattan, that hire's right out of school, even on a part time bases.I thought this was going to be a great change, I have medical experience as a medical asst, and nursing asst, What hapening to those coders that work from home how did you get your position's, Please pass on the info, Each one teach one!!!!,, keep us in your Prayers, Thanks Zee in NC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Zyra in NC, in Wake Forest, North Carolina

45 months ago

Cheryl in Zebulon, North Carolina said: I worry less about coding being outsourced than I do about computerized coding. The results would still need to be reviewed for accuracy or omissions, and I wonder how well they abstract.
The fact does remain that it is extremely difficult to get a coding job, even if you're credentialed. How are you supposed to get acute care experience when no one will hire you? And forget about trying to learn inpatient coding. But I digress...

Hey Cherly, there is a place called Genisis Billing in Wake Forest, I not sure is they hire right out of school, but they do need people, it's pathology billing and coding only, Try there wed site, you need to do your application on line, Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

may22 in Wyandotte, Michigan

44 months ago

I was reading the posts here and I am in my first semester for hit program. I think I might be better off switching to pharm. tech here in michigan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lily in San Francisco, California

43 months ago

So I've been going to school for 5 yrs since I got out of H.S. I have my AA in Liberal Arts w/ emphasis in Arts and Humanities. I was working on my Bachelors when it hit me that getting a job in that field is very unlikely so I switched over to working on a Certificate in billing and coding at my local community college. I'm in my first semester but, I have to say, I am feeling less confident in this choice after reading these comments. I am working in a medical office as a receptionist/front office/ data entry so I was hopeful I could advance in this Group in the future as a coder and biller. Having said that, I would like to know what your opinions are about my particular situation, since many of you seem like you know what you are talking about with regards to this field. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine2 in salt lake city, Utah

43 months ago

Lily in San Francisco, California said: So I've been going to school for 5 yrs since I got out of H.S. I have my AA in Liberal Arts w/ emphasis in Arts and Humanities. I was working on my Bachelors when it hit me that getting a job in that field is very unlikely so I switched over to working on a Certificate in billing and coding at my local community college. I'm in my first semester but, I have to say, I am feeling less confident in this choice after reading these comments. I am working in a medical office as a receptionist/front office/ data entry so I was hopeful I could advance in this Group in the future as a coder and biller. Having said that, I would like to know what your opinions are about my particular situation, since many of you seem like you know what you are talking about with regards to this field. Thanks!

You already working in the medical field, especially doing data entry (I assume you mean you enter charges?) will give you an incredible advantage when you graduate. I started out the same way, worked front desk, got my certificate and then started working in our insurance/billing dept, I learned enough to leverage it for a coding job.

You are not guaranteed a job, but your prospects are a lot better than most new grads who have ZERO medical experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cappucino_k in Parker, Colorado

40 months ago

Lily in San Francisco, California said: So I've been going to school for 5 yrs since I got out of H.S. I have my AA in Liberal Arts w/ emphasis in Arts and Humanities. I was working on my Bachelors when it hit me that getting a job in that field is very unlikely so I switched over to working on a Certificate in billing and coding at my local community college. I'm in my first semester but, I have to say, I am feeling less confident in this choice after reading these comments. I am working in a medical office as a receptionist/front office/ data entry so I was hopeful I could advance in this Group in the future as a coder and biller. Having said that, I would like to know what your opinions are about my particular situation, since many of you seem like you know what you are talking about with regards to this field. Thanks!

I am a career changer so I wanted to pick my next field carefully. I have done so much research on this field. Getting into this field is not a mistake. All practices will be required to go to electronic health records, thus the need for more coding. If I remember, the date for this is by 2015. By 2013 the ICD9 will go away being replaced by a new code set of ICD10, thus creating a new wave of need for highly trained individuals. Especially during the initial implementation of the EHR's and the conversion to ICD10. Look it up elsewhere other than forums...such as the AHIMA website or the AAPC website. You can also stay abreast of changes and informative articles by liking them on your FB page. IT IS NOT a mistake. Hard to break into, so you must be willing to volunteer or start at the very bottom, even with a degree. Once you get the experience, you have a very great career path.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

EDCtx in Texas

40 months ago

donmar in Utica, Michigan said: Its unfortunate AAPC, the organization that certifies coders has been training people in India since 2007 in Coding, Billing and Medical Transcription. I work at a hospital in the Detroit area, and they send a good portion of their medical transcription to India. Pitiful when you read about a patient with a pancreatic "mask" or medical records filled with blanks where either the transcriptionist couldn't understand the foreign doctor, or they couldn't grasp 20% of the dictation, for whatever reason. A simple word as "went" is spelled "whent". If US staff typed this mess, we'd be fired. Shame on the hospitals that offshore, in order to save paying out benefits and salary. They get what they pay for, and maybe Medicare will need to embarrass these institutions by sending the medical record back to be rewritten! If hospitals aren't offshoring their billing, they're outsourcing their coding/billing. Those newly certified may need to look into an outsourcing company.

All the more reason to get credentials with AHIMA, in my opinion. I do not like coding work going off shore at all. My own company has just started sending some work over there and I never thought that would happen. Not all of the hospitals we code for will allow it (thank goodness!). I have noticed that the job postings for hospitals local to my area, specifically require AHIMA credentials. I wonder if that is why?

We need the work in America right now. I see so many coders that have finished coding programs and can't find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shirl in Buffalo, New York

40 months ago

I say to anyone interested in going into the coding field DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. I spent $10,000 going to school to make $20,000 less than my previous job which was not coding or billing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vivi in Monroe, North Carolina

40 months ago

Shirl in Buffalo, New York said: I say to anyone interested in going into the coding field DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. I spent $10,000 going to school to make $20,000 less than my previous job which was not coding or billing.

Are you certified?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

EDCtx in Texas

40 months ago

Vivi in Monroe, North Carolina said: Are you certified?

That's what I would ask too. These schools that are charging people a ridiculous amount of money are telling their students the truth. You need credentials. I recommend AHIMA credentials. If these schools aren't accredited by AHIMA, you are wasting your money. This is really frustrating when I read that so many are spending that much money! Shame on these schools!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sam in Bowie, Maryland

37 months ago

I am a foreign medical doctor. Was too aged for going residency when I came to USA. I started coding got my CCS without much effort in two months. It was really very easy test for me. I have worked in dozens of hospitals as inpatient coder and recently as auditor, but I think coding department rarely has good working enviornment. It is because it is mostly woman who hold its managerial position. This makes the department very repressive unimpressive.
Do not go for this job. I am here just to save my family and making good money more than $80,000 a year from my full time job. Not bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.