Entry-Level Medical Records, Coding, Billing Employment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 86)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Tracy

67 months ago

I live in the Flint Michigan area and am looking for entry level employment in the area of medical records, coding, or billing. I have an associate's degree in health information technology as well as a diploma in medical billing. I am willing to travel to Saginaw, Bay City, and the surrounding areas for an opportunity to gain experience in this industry.

If a current opening is not available, I am willing to participate in an internship to obtain additional experience. I have completed an internship in the Medical Records Department at a local trauma facility, yet I am willing to do so again in a different location to broaden my skills and capabilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

student in Fairborn, Ohio

67 months ago

Have you thought about volunteering? Call up the HIM department and ask if you can volunteer. State that you have your RHIT and you need some experience.

Have you also thought about applying to the jobs who ask for experience? What does it say about experience? Is it require or just prefered or desired? Apply anyway, you never know. At one of my local hopsitals there was been an opening for an RHIT for 6 months! The experience states "2 years desired".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy

67 months ago

I do not have my RHIT credentials yet, but I am currently studying to take the examination in the fall of this year. I graduated at the end of April of this year. I have contemplated volunteering, and I even apply to positions that prefer 1-2 years experience, yet I am not having any luck. I live in the Flint area, and many places are not hiring right now, due to the economy.

Thank you for your response, though. I will definitely consider contacting numerous facilities in the area to volunteer. (P.S.- I was hoping to attract a professional in the industry that may be in need of filling a position. It never hurts to try, right?)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nisha in Nashville, Tennessee

67 months ago

Tracy said: I do not have my RHIT credentials yet, but I am currently studying to take the examination in the fall of this year. I graduated at the end of April of this year. I have contemplated volunteering, and I even apply to positions that prefer 1-2 years experience, yet I am not having any luck. I live in the Flint area, and many places are not hiring right now, due to the economy.

Thank you for your response, though. I will definitely consider contacting numerous facilities in the area to volunteer. (P.S.- I was hoping to attract a professional in the industry that may be in need of filling a position. It never hurts to try, right?)

I was once in your position with my internship experience only and my coding professor recommended me to a hospital that would have been a hour and a half drive for me, so I turned it down. But I did not give up and I was willing to go to work in a hospital in admitting in a local hospital and I seen the coding position I have now and applied for it I put my application in even though they wanted experience and they called me the next day and here I am now. The other coder told me they had interviewed other people with experience and i got the job. You have to put your faith in God and pray and he will answer your prayer. That's why I never worried about a job I knew it was coming.Also, just because they say on a job listing they want experience or experience preferred I would apply anyway and another suggestions that I learned was it is not good to put applications in online all the time go directly to the place where you want to be employed and put your application in and ask for the director and talk your way to make her wanting to give you an interview. I told my director on my interview that I didn't have experience or my RHIT, but I was preparing to take it. I also told her I was one of the top coder in my class and my teacher had recommended me to a hospital but I turned it down because of the commute time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy

67 months ago

Thanks Nisha! That is great advice! My husband suggested the same thing about going right to the location to submit my resume and talk with the director. I will definitely keep this in mind when applying for future positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

student in Franklin, Ohio

67 months ago

Tracy said: Thanks Nisha! That is great advice! My husband suggested the same thing about going right to the location to submit my resume and talk with the director. I will definitely keep this in mind when applying for future positions.

I like the idea of going directly to the hiring department, usually human resources. I applied to basic jobs in the hopsital online and was turned down. In high school I applied to work in the cafeteria and was turned down. I thought it was really odd. I don't think the online applications are very good, it always seems like they are "going with other applicants" no matter if you have experience in the field or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nisha in Nashville, Tennessee

67 months ago

I'm glad I could help but try it and you will get better results and have a better chance at getting hired than applying online because several people does this daily.Also, it will really help for you to go ahead and prepare for your RHIT exam because when if you are hired most facilities wants you to have your RHIT or RHIA within 6 months. I had 6 months to take my test and hospital reimbursed me back but I had to pass it in order for them to pay me back. Thank god I passed it 6 months on the dot. But I studied 2 to 3 hours a day and passed with a 90 so I was happy. I wish you the best of luck. The entire idea is to get your foot in the door and get enough experience and then you can venture out or stay if you love where you are hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy

67 months ago

Thanks for the encouragement. I have started to prepare for the exam, which I have found to be an important credential to have as leverage in the job search. It makes sense to go right to the source, as this shows initiative. Perhaps it will bring me some luck. Thanks again,

Tracy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nisha in Nashville, Tennessee

67 months ago

Tracy said: Thanks for the encouragement. I have started to prepare for the exam, which I have found to be an important credential to have as leverage in the job search. It makes sense to go right to the source, as this shows initiative. Perhaps it will bring me some luck. Thanks again,

Tracy

Glad I could help please let me know your results and focus on passing the Exam and everyone else will fall into place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cloquetmom in Duluth, Minnesota

67 months ago

I am graduating on Thursday from DBU - Duluth. In the Medical Billing/Coding program. Are there legit online coding jobs? Or legit online billing jobs?

Need some direction, to determine if this would be right for me. I live 17 miles from Duluth, don't know my way around Duluth that well, just trying to cover all my bases.

Thank you

Pat G

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

I've been reading about Medical Billing/Coding and Medical Transcription posts on this site. Though, I have yet to figured out what's the best program to get into. I know it's not a get-rich system, but I'm willing to work hard and be patient. I just want to know which schools are reputable, who long a program should be to have a legit certificate in the end, and bottom line, I want to know where to start.

Both programs are being offered online which will be better for me considering my children. I can surely keep my 2 part time jobs while working on this program... which I hope I can pull it off. I pretty much just need anyone's opinion on how I can get started in a new career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

megan in Saginaw, Michigan

67 months ago

Check out the Covenant Hospital website--they have a billing position open as well as one for admitting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy

67 months ago

megan in Saginaw, Michigan said: Check out the Covenant Hospital website--they have a billing position open as well as one for admitting.

Thanks for the insight on the open positions at Covenant in Saginaw. I saw them posted on Indeed.com today and I just applied for the billing position. I haven't had any experience in this field outside of my training for my medical billing diploma and my HIT associate's degree. I am hoping that a hospital will consider my education and my work ethics when looking for a good candidate. Wish me luck! Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

susiergood in New York, New York

66 months ago

Hi, I need help! I am a RHIT,CCA and a CPC. I have an Associate's degree in Health Information Technology, a Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and a Master's in Food Management. I just finished doing 3 internships in the Medical Records field, including coding and I have 1 year of experience and I have even called hospitals offering to volunteer in their Medical Records departments and I still have been unable to land a job. I don't know if I should go back to Nutrition or just get into regular clerical work. I am currently studying for the CCS, but I wonder if it's worth the trouble if I can't get a job now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shaji chozhiyath in palo alto, California

64 months ago

I live in Palo alto ,northern californiaarea and am looking for entry level employment in the area of medical records, coding, or billing.I worked for one year in a hospital medical records in los angeles and a company in los angeles.If a current opening is not available, I am willing to participate in an internship to obtain additional experience.I am hoping that a hospital or a company will consider my education and my work ethics when looking for a good candidate. Wish me luck! Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

linda@columbia in Columbia, Missouri

61 months ago

I am a HIT student at Minnesota State and plan to take my exam in May.I will do a second Clinical in the Summer 2010.I am a older student and have nothing to tie me down. I would love to travel and work for the Indian health services. Does anyone have any information on them. I wonder how hard it is to get into to their organization.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

linda@columbia in Columbia, Missouri

61 months ago

I am a HIT student and will take my exam in May 2010. Does anyone know if also taking the CPC exam would help me get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tysha in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

61 months ago

You could go to the AHIMA or AAPC websites, they have job postings there that are strictly for coders. With only one year experience, that should not matter because of your credentials. Have you tried any physician group practices.

susiergood in New York, New York said: Hi, I need help! I am a RHIT,CCA and a CPC. I have an Associate's degree in Health Information Technology, a Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and a Master's in Food Management. I just finished doing 3 internships in the Medical Records field, including coding and I have 1 year of experience and I have even called hospitals offering to volunteer in their Medical Records departments and I still have been unable to land a job. I don't know if I should go back to Nutrition or just get into regular clerical work. I am currently studying for the CCS, but I wonder if it's worth the trouble if I can't get a job now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Virginia in Georgetown, Texas

60 months ago

Hi!, I am currently attending a program in Health Care Administration/Medical Records, working towards an Associates Degree. I want to pursue a career in Health Information Management(HIM). I have researched the pre-requisites for the HIM and it appears that I must have completed at least 90 percent of my associates degree before entering into the HIM program. Is this absolutely true for regional and national accreditation schools?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Shreveport, Louisiana

59 months ago

I graduated in 2004 in medical coding and transcription. I worked as biller for ambulance co. to get my feet wet now have worked as ward clerk and have been taking charts down and keeping the dc's as well as overflow in order, Short of doing the thinning. I pretty much do everything to having dr sign to adding updated material to charts. I was wondering if I could put on resume that I have ex in medical records or if there are other courses to take. I have put off getting certified because you do this yearly and only a few have received jobs that I graduated with. I plan to get certified I study all the time so I wont forget all codes I learned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Shreveport, Louisiana

59 months ago

Connie in Shreveport, Louisiana said: I graduated in 2004 in medical coding and transcription. I worked as biller for ambulance co. to get my feet wet now have worked as ward clerk and have been taking charts down and keeping the dc's as well as overflow in order, Short of doing the thinning. I pretty much do everything to having dr sign to adding updated material to charts. I was wondering if I could put on resume that I have ex in medical records or if there are other courses to take. I have put off getting certified because you do this yearly and only a few have received jobs that I graduated with. I plan to get certified I study all the time so I wont forget all codes I learned.

Hi Connie, I was wondering if you could give me any info on the demand for coders in the Shreveport area. I am currently taking classes with Career Step, and am worried about finding a job where they only want someone with experience. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Shreveport, Louisiana

59 months ago

Hi, there are jobs here in Shreveport area. Seems to be mostly in hospitals. I think you can get a coding job almost anywhere but we all seem to have the same problems and that is getting your foot in the door. It all comes down to how much experience you have and with out a job you can't get the experience. That is why I have been working at any job I can find like billing and ward clerk it has aloud me to learn more about medical records and anything new you can learn I think that it will help land you that job. It all goes together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Farhath in Des Plaines, Illinois

54 months ago

I had Certificate in medical billing, Medical Transcriptionist, Pharmacy technician currently out of job, looking for it. It is a good idea to just work as ward or record clerk to step in future job opening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cherilyn in Dayton, Ohio

54 months ago

student in Franklin, Ohio said: I like the idea of going directly to the hiring department, usually human resources. I applied to basic jobs in the hopsital online and was turned down. In high school I applied to work in the cafeteria and was turned down. I thought it was really odd. I don't think the online applications are very good, it always seems like they are "going with other applicants" no matter if you have experience in the field or not.

I agree, I have a diploma in Medical Billing and I am going to go back and get my AA degree in HIT. I have tried to apply for medical records, admitting, basic hospital jobs and I am never getting any calls. I have applied numerous times and no avail. How can one get their foot in the door? Does one have to volunteer? I have kids and need some sort of basic employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

54 months ago

Cherilyn in Dayton, Ohio said: I agree, I have a diploma in Medical Billing and I am going to go back and get my AA degree in HIT. I have tried to apply for medical records, admitting, basic hospital jobs and I am never getting any calls. I have applied numerous times and no avail. How can one get their foot in the door? Does one have to volunteer? I have kids and need some sort of basic employment.

the best way is to start somewhere else, such as medical records, front desk or billing. and then gain experience and network to get a coding job. Going back for your associates will be a smart move, hospitals are always in need of RHIT's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Denise McGuire in Manteo, North Carolina

51 months ago

I too am having a problem finding medical coding jobs that are entry level I have applied at various hospitals and doctors offices and so far they only want people who have experience already in medical records. I have asked to volunteer but so far no one wants me to volunteer. What should I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

51 months ago

Denise McGuire in Manteo, North Carolina said: I too am having a problem finding medical coding jobs that are entry level I have applied at various hospitals and doctors offices and so far they only want people who have experience already in medical records. I have asked to volunteer but so far no one wants me to volunteer. What should I do?

You may have to start out lower in HIM such as billing, data entry or front desk, at least until you gain some medical experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Stacey P Williams in Brooklyn, New York

51 months ago

Hi I am also having a similar problem like susiergood. I don't have the year coding experience but I have done two internships, have A.A.S in HIT and just got my BS in HIM. I am also currently a RHIT. But with my limited experience I have been applying to entry-level work like file clerks, analyst, MR clerks and still no calls. What can I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RHIT Student in Franklin, Ohio

51 months ago

Stacey P Williams in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi I am also having a similar problem like susiergood. I don't have the year coding experience but I have done two internships, have A.A.S in HIT and just got my BS in HIM. I am also currently a RHIT. But with my limited experience I have been applying to entry-level work like file clerks, analyst, MR clerks and still no calls. What can I do?

Make sure you are putting down what you did in your internships on your resume that should help. Also if you can put the length of the internships or at least how many hours it ended up being on it as well.

If you have basic computer skills (microsoft applications, etc) put that as well, any software you know how to use, if you know how to use an encoder, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JRB in Springfield, Missouri

48 months ago

Well this is disheartening. I just finished my A.A (Gen ed)to transfer to MSU to start working on a BS in HIM but by looking at Stacy's post- credentials and degrees mean nothing if a person doesn't have experience. How is it there are supposedly so many HIT job openings yet so few people seem to have a genuine job as a RHIT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine2 in salt lake city, Utah

48 months ago

JRB in Springfield, Missouri said: Well this is disheartening. I just finished my A.A (Gen ed)to transfer to MSU to start working on a BS in HIM but by looking at Stacy's post- credentials and degrees mean nothing if a person doesn't have experience. How is it there are supposedly so many HIT job openings yet so few people seem to have a genuine job as a RHIT?

That is one problem with this field, everyone wants degrees, credentials and experience. so much so that they will leave a position vacant for months looking for that person. It is frustrating.

If you have the time and money, I would continue to pursue your BS in HIM, because while it is disheartening to start as a file clerk, once you get that initial experience, you will be in high demand. Hospitals really do prefer RHIT's and RHIA's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sprinkle75 in Annapolis, Maryland

45 months ago

I am in the process of taking an online course for medical code and billing. I will receive a diploma when I am done. Any advice on what I should or need to do? I am currently working as a Residential Director with the Develpomental disabled. I have been in this field for 9 years. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sprinkle75 in Annapolis, Maryland

45 months ago

I am in the process of taking an online course for medical code and billing. I will receive a diploma when I am done. Any advice on what I should or need to do? Should I go further than just a diploma? I am currently working as a Residential Director with the Develpomental disabled. I have been in this field for 9 years. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Park City, Utah

45 months ago

sprinkle75 in Annapolis, Maryland said: I am in the process of taking an online course for medical code and billing. I will receive a diploma when I am done. Any advice on what I should or need to do? Should I go further than just a diploma? I am currently working as a Residential Director with the Develpomental disabled. I have been in this field for 9 years. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

not sure what you are asking, but do you mean what you should do after you finish your program? I would recommend getting certified, which certification you get depends on where you want your career to go, but I'd suggest either the CCA or CCS-P from AHIMA or the CPC from AAPC.

Not entirely sure what your current job is, but if you are not directly using ICD 9 or CPT every day, you might have to find a lower entry job to gain experience and network. I started out doing data entry and was able to leverage that experience into a coding job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

penmartin1963 in Columbus, Indiana

44 months ago

I just received my Associates degree in Medical Records and can not get my foot in the door at any medical clinic. I have worked in a factory for many years. How do you get a internship at a hospital? Is volunteering with hospice a good or bad idea? HELP!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Volunteer Cordinator in Stockton, California

44 months ago

It is illegal to use a volunteer in any office capacity to help staff. Volunteers are for the Resident in the facility. They also have a very fine line with HIPPA Laws. I think you should apply for a position as an entry level coder in convalescent homes. Most people don’t like working in these places because it can be depressing to some but it can also make you appreciate your own life. Larger corporate hospitals expect the person they hire to have a degree of 2 to 4 years with several years of experience. I would apply at every Convalescent Hospital that I could find because it is truly a hard profession to find work in. Coding is a very important because it pays the hospital for the care the Residents receive. The MDS team supplies coding with the necessary information to code with. If one person on the MDS team has filled out their section wrong or left something out such as Resident uses a cane to ambulate or needs to be assisted with their meals, the facility can lose thousands of dollars. So this is just part of the coding area. But it starts with the Resident. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

penmartin1963 in Columbus, Indiana

44 months ago

So you are saying I should start out in a nursing home volunteering and then get the experience I need to jump start my career. I am currently trying to volunteer with Hospice. Will that help me as well? They ask for volunteers for the clerical area also. Is that illegal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Emily in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

I am still studying HIT, and it is my first year to study. So I do not have any experience or credential. But I want to be a volunteer at this career and study at the same time. Is it possible? Do you know I will get the volunteer job? What should I do? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Emily in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

I am still studying HIT, and it is my first year to study. So I do not have any experience or credential. But I want to be a volunteer at this career and study at the same time. Is it possible? Do you know I will get the volunteer job which is in san francisco? What should I do? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Park City, Utah

44 months ago

Emily in San Francisco, California said: I am still studying HIT, and it is my first year to study. So I do not have any experience or credential. But I want to be a volunteer at this career and study at the same time. Is it possible? Do you know I will get the volunteer job which is in san francisco? What should I do? Thank you

The hospital I work, we have volunteers that work in medical records, they help file. You could try something like that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Rockville, Maryland

44 months ago

I completed a certificate program in Medical Billing and Coding and I was thinking of taking the CCA or the CPC exams this summer. All of the other students I was in school with cannot find jobs. We all were required to complete an unpaid externship as a part of the program, but that isnt enough experience. All the jobs in the area are asking for at least 3 years of experience. I feel like I might have made a mistake

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Park City, Utah

44 months ago

Michael in Rockville, Maryland said: I completed a certificate program in Medical Billing and Coding and I was thinking of taking the CCA or the CPC exams this summer. All of the other students I was in school with cannot find jobs. We all were required to complete an unpaid externship as a part of the program, but that isnt enough experience. All the jobs in the area are asking for at least 3 years of experience. I feel like I might have made a mistake

We ALL had to start at the bottom, I started out doing data entry (6 years ago)and then moved up to coding. Get certified, as you can not compete in this field without a credential and look for an entry level HIM job, something in medical records, billing, account follow up, data entry or front desk. Gain some much needed medical experience, become more familiar with ICD 9 and CPT and move up.

Also, hospitals tend to hire from within, so if you are already employed in the HIM dept, that gives you an advantage when a job becomes available.

This is a great field, with a lot of opportunity, I don't think you made a mistake, I know I didn't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

penmartin1963 in Columbus, Indiana

44 months ago

valentine in Park City, Utah said: We ALL had to start at the bottom, I started out doing data entry (6 years ago)and then moved up to coding. Get certified, as you can not compete in this field without a credential and look for an entry level HIM job, something in medical records, billing, account follow up, data entry or front desk. Gain some much needed medical experience, become more familiar with ICD 9 and CPT and move up.

Also, hospitals tend to hire from within, so if you are already employed in the HIM dept, that gives you an advantage when a job becomes available.

This is a great field, with a lot of opportunity, I don't think you made a mistake, I know I didn't.

No mistake. I can't find a job that will hire me. I am going to do volunteer work and hopefully I will meet someone that will hire me. Can you still get certified if you have not worked in the medical field before?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KJ in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

HELP!!!

I have been working for small collections agency that is contracted with a major hospital (memorial hermann) here in Houston. We pursue and follow up with the Insurance co for denied medical claims so i in turn pull any and/or all pertinent documents (UB claims/HCFA 1500), medical records including resolving denied claims with coding and registration issues...I started in jan 2005 and now i deal mostly with denied clms with Coding issues which has really peeked my interest in the Coding/HIM field....I'm currently taking a smalll medical billing and coding course through Penn Foster(because it was affordable)....but I really want to do more Coding/Medical records...Where do i start????...i have no credentials just 6 + yrs of clerical experience within the hosptial system....would anyone hire me for coding/medical records position???...I'm a very hard worker!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephen in San Diego in San Diego, California

43 months ago

student in Fairborn, Ohio said: Have you thought about volunteering? Call up the HIM department and ask if you can volunteer. State that you have your RHIT and you need some experience.

Have you also thought about applying to the jobs who ask for experience? What does it say about experience? Is it require or just prefered or desired? Apply anyway, you never know. At one of my local hopsitals there was been an opening for an RHIT for 6 months! The experience states "2 years desired".


I volunteered at a local hospital, and was put in the gift shop, which was not my first choice. I asked about volunteering in the medical records, and was told that they don't allow internships, due to HIPPA Rules. I've been certified for about a year. I have an AS. In the program I was in, we were given access to a coding program, but the time allowed was very limited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

penmartin1963 in Columbus, Indiana

43 months ago

I also was put in the gift shop as a volunteer and I am also volunteering for Hospice. What is the requirements to get be a RHIT? I am so anxious to start my career in medical records but since I have never worked in the area before, it is hard to get your foot in the door. I have only my associates degree. Someone please lead me in the right direction!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Queenie in Lawrenceville, Georgia

43 months ago

penmartin1963, do you have your associate's in health information technology (HIT) or health information management (HIM) from a CAHIIM-accredited school?

If so, to become a RHIT (i.e. to become "registered"), you have to take and pass the AHIMA RHIT exam. Go to this site for more info: www.ahima.org/certification/rhit.aspx

Hicareers.com (AHIMA's HIM career site) is also a good site to learn more about HIM careers.

From what I have been reading, employees love people who are RHIT but you might have to start at the very bottom even if you are RHIT because of lack of experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ro in Alhambra, California

43 months ago

I am about to finish the Medical Administrative Specialist Program at a vocational school and I want to get into billing and coding. I just got my certificate as an Insurance and Coding Specialist through NCCT and I am applying for a Medical Billing Clerk position at a Healthcare Consulting Firm which is basically a third party administrator/clearinghouse. They work with denied claims that are already filled out from hospitals and other healthcare facilities.

My question is if I get the job and stay there for at least a year or 2, will I be able to utilize that experience for a future career in coding? I need advice. I am a little hesitant about this position because I mainly wanted to get into billing and coding for hospitals or healthcare facilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Park City, Utah

43 months ago

ro in Alhambra, California said: I am about to finish the Medical Administrative Specialist Program at a vocational school and I want to get into billing and coding. I just got my certificate as an Insurance and Coding Specialist through NCCT and I am applying for a Medical Billing Clerk position at a Healthcare Consulting Firm which is basically a third party administrator/clearinghouse. They work with denied claims that are already filled out from hospitals and other healthcare facilities.

My question is if I get the job and stay there for at least a year or 2, will I be able to utilize that experience for a future career in coding? I need advice. I am a little hesitant about this position because I mainly wanted to get into billing and coding for hospitals or healthcare facilities.

This sounds like a great opportunity. When working denied claims, you get experience with both ICD 9 and CPT as well experience with reimbursement. This should definitely help you get a coding job.

If you start out at a clearinghouse, you are not locked out of coding for a hospital or clinic. That is the nice thing about this field, there is a lot of mobility and opportunity.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mitra80 in Bentonville, Arkansas

42 months ago

valentine in Park City, Utah said: We ALL had to start at the bottom, I started out doing data entry (6 years ago)and then moved up to coding. Get certified, as you can not compete in this field without a credential and look for an entry level HIM job, something in medical records, billing, account follow up, data entry or front desk. Gain some much needed medical experience, become more familiar with ICD 9 and CPT and move up.

Also, hospitals tend to hire from within, so if you are already employed in the HIM dept, that gives you an advantage when a job becomes available.

This is a great field, with a lot of opportunity, I don't think you made a mistake, I know I didn't.

Hi Valentine,

I can see that you have lots of experience in this field. I am thinking about doing a certification program in medical billing and coding in a local community college. They only have four classes in the program: Medical Terminology for Coding,CPT Coding, ICD-9 Coding and Insurance Billing for Medical Billing and Coding. Will I be prepared to take the CCA or CPC exam and do a job after completing these courses? Or do I need to learn more? The program costs $2000.00 (excluding the books). Do you think it's worth that money? I have plan to do an Associate degree in HIT in the future, but I want to start with a diploma,do some volunteering and see if I can find a entry-level job in coding. Please help and give me some advice.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.