MLT to MT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 72)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

JD in Levittown, New York

58 months ago

Hello
I am curently a ASCP Medical Lab Tech in New york with a license and with an associates degree.
i have been working for 3 years and I am interested in taking the test to become a technologist. Do you HAVE to have a a bachelors degree to do so? Does work experience take the place of more schooling? Or is getting the bachelors the only way?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

58 months ago

Fortunately they do require a bachelors. It's not weak like the AMT or AAB where you can have a shortcut to "MT" certification without a bachelors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Rus in Chickasha, Oklahoma

58 months ago

There are schools out there, however, that offer online "transitional" bachelors degree programs if you have your MLT and work in a lab willing to help you with your internship. My program director really pushed one here in Oklahoma. It is supposed to be a fairly nasty-hard program, but I find myself thinking about it more and more often. It sounds like a nifty deal to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

58 months ago

Rus in Chickasha, Oklahoma said: There are schools out there, however, that offer online "transitional" bachelors degree programs if you have your MLT and work in a lab willing to help you with your internship. My program director really pushed one here in Oklahoma. It is supposed to be a fairly nasty-hard program, but I find myself thinking about it more and more often. It sounds like a nifty deal to me.

That does sound like a good deal. It's still a bachelors degree and you get an internship with it also even though it's online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tommy

58 months ago

I work with a MLT that is trying to get a MT degree online. She told me all the test she can take at home (it's th honor system).

I told her when she takes the BS MT ASCP it will bot be open book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ljwriteon in Corpus Christi, Texas

55 months ago

Can a MT H (ASCP) apply for MT generalist positions if they have generalist experience as an MLT? Or do they have to apply for Hematology MT positions only? Most employers hire generalists and then if you are lucky you get a day job in a single department. Will I limit myself by taking the H only exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ljwriteon in Corpus Christi, Texas

55 months ago

What is the benefit of getting an online MT degree if you already have a BS? Don't you still need all your generalist experience including micro and immunology? It is the experience that limits us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wahee in bolingbrook, Illinois

54 months ago

I have MT(AMT)certificate, now I want to apply fot ASCP(MT)/generalist,but I don't have any Blood Banking experience.I am wondering, is there any loop,any other route from which I can apply for MT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Liberty G. in Muskogee, Oklahoma

46 months ago

I did an online MLT to MT program. It was mostly honor system, aside from major exams. You only screwed yourself if you cheated on the coursework because you would certainly not pass the big exams or your registry. It was a great program. I have now been a MT for 3 years and am loving the pay. I think its a great idea for MLTs to consider. You don't have to move or quit your job. Only one course at a time. I'm not limited to any area in the lab since I am a full blown ASCP CLS generalist. Doing the BS with a year of experience is too limiting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

Irish4694

45 months ago

ljwriteon in Corpus Christi, Texas said: Can a MT H (ASCP) apply for MT generalist positions if they have generalist experience as an MLT? Or do they have to apply for Hematology MT positions only? Most employers hire generalists and then if you are lucky you get a day job in a single department. Will I limit myself by taking the H only exam?

Yes you will limit yourself because you will not be an MT in all other lab areas. And most labs ( the one I work in) would only hire you as an MLT, so that you could be a generalist, because they would never, ever hire someone with the intention of only having them work the hematology dept. That would not be beneficial for the lab. Or they just may not hire you if it becomes too much of a hassle. I highly recommend that you take the generalist ASCP MT BOR. You have a great opportunity here! :) take the whole thing and you will be glad you did. Don't be daunted by the test, study well bc I've heard they've changed it and it's much harder now, but you are a lab tech and you have the knowledge and skills, so use them. I have no doubt you will be happy you made the right choice, it will change your life! I wish I was you right now! Good luck and rock on!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alberto in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

hello!Liberity.G CONGRA !FOR UR MT ,I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE MT OLINE I AM MLT CERTIFIED WITH ASCP .HOW LONG TAKE TO COMPLETE THE PROGRAM PLEASE LET ME KNOW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Liberty G. in Muskogee, Oklahoma

44 months ago

It took just a little over a year. I think they consider it two years plus one semester. I went through the University of Cincinnati. Their registry pass rate is higher than the national average. Its a good sign that they are truly educating and preparing their students. I have nothing but good things to say about the program and the instructors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alberto in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH LIBERITY

totidemi in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

i am mlt amt can i go for my mt on line please what is the craiteria to go mt from mlt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

toti in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

i am mlt amt can i go for mt on line .what is rhe criteria to be mt from mlt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Libby G. in Muskogee, Oklahoma

44 months ago

toti in San Francisco, California said: i am mlt amt can i go for mt on line .what is rhe criteria to be mt from mlt

You must have 2-3 years experience as an MLT and be currently working in a lab as an MLT. The University will send paperwork and a contract to your employer to have them sign an agreement stating that they will help oversee your clinicals. Like any MT program, you must complete benchwork as well as coursework. If your employer won't or can't agree to let you do your clinicals there, the University will help locate another hospital/clinic in your area that will. If you are an ASCP accredited MLT and have 2-3 years experience, the program at University of Cincinnati should take you. A couple years after I got my MT another co-worker of mine did the same. It is a good program. I never had to go to Ohio at all. I did it all at home, in my town.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

toti in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

thank you so much Libby.G i will do my mt soon. I was waiting your answer thanks one more time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rus in Norman, Oklahoma

44 months ago

Libby G. in Muskogee, Oklahoma said: You must have 2-3 years experience as an MLT and be currently working in a lab as an MLT. The University will send paperwork and a contract to your employer to have them sign an agreement stating that they will help oversee your clinicals. Like any MT program, you must complete benchwork as well as coursework. If your employer won't or can't agree to let you do your clinicals there, the University will help locate another hospital/clinic in your area that will. If you are an ASCP accredited MLT and have 2-3 years experience, the program at University of Cincinnati should take you. A couple years after I got my MT another co-worker of mine did the same. It is a good program. I never had to go to Ohio at all. I did it all at home, in my town.

Being in Muskogee, I'm surprised that you didn't go through NSU in Tahlequah. Do you know anything much about that program? I'm currently enrolled in it, but it would be nice to get a review or something, just to find out what kind of education to expect.

44 months ago

NSU wasn't a good option for me. The online program was very practical for someone who has to work full time while going to school. No commuting, no downtime between classes. One course at a time. I was able to working 40 hours a week on night shift at St. John's in Tulsa. I live in Tulsa. I would come home, get into my pajamas, get laundry going and sit down with my laptop for school. It was really great. :) I even was able to make a vacation trip to Vegas while in school. I just took my laptop with me. It is a very practical way to do it. You do your clinical rotation at your job.

Katelynn in Fulton, Missouri

44 months ago

I will graduate with my Bachelor's in Biology this May and I am in the interview process with a local university hospital for a MLT/ Lab Tech position. I have done some research and I realize their is specific certification required. However, I have not seen what options are available for me in particular. What is the type of certification I am missing in order to complete the full MLT requirements?

Betty in Irving, Texas

43 months ago

Hi,
I have done Masters degree in Biotechnology and work as Research associate under a Professor.However prior to this I worked just for a year in an Animal diagnostics Co as Microbiologist(they did not require a certification there).
My question is will I be eligible for this ASCP exam?as I already have a Masters degree?Do I need any recommendation letter?If so ,is it ok to get from my professor who is PhD?
Pls help:(((

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I don't believe that the ASCP cares whether you have a masters degree or not. A recommendation letter has no influence. With a BS or MS in an applicable science and one year working a laboratory, you may be eligible to sit for a specific area of the registry. However, you would only be ASCP certified in that area. In your case you might qualify for MLS (ASCP-microbiology only). I'm not sure if that lab would count since it is not an ASCP governed lab. A friend of mine is a doctor from overseas. His MD only counted as much as a BS. He still had to do a year in a Hematology dept. hospital and then he was eligible to sit for the ASCP Hematology exam. I would definitely check out more at the ASCP website.
Hope it helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Betty in Irving, Texas

43 months ago

Thank you Libby..The sute however had a criteria of having atleast a BS degree to qualify for the exam,which is why I brought it up.
Thank you for ur advice:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Holland, Ohio

39 months ago

I have a Bachelors in biology and I don't really know what to do now so I am considering to become a MLT. I mostly got B's in my science courses like biology and chemistry. Also, I don't remember getting any A's on any of my lab reports because I didn't enjoy writing them so I guess my question is should I still go for MLT or do you think I will hate it and fail the program? If there is a lot of writing in the MLT program, how hard would you say it is compared to undergraduate courses where we had to write lots of lab reports? Also, from all the biology and chemistry labs I took, I would have to say microbiology lab was my favorite because I got to see the living micro-organisms under the microscope and I didn't have to write any lab reports and that is really why I am considering to become a MLT. My other question is how hard is the MLT program and how can I transition from a MLT to MT/CLS?

Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

SoniaR. in Gainesville, Florida

39 months ago

Dave in Holland, Ohio said: I have a Bachelors in biology and I don't really know what to do now so I am considering to become a MLT. I mostly got B's in my science courses like biology and chemistry. Also, I don't remember getting any A's on any of my lab reports because I didn't enjoy writing them so I guess my question is should I still go for MLT or do you think I will hate it and fail the program? If there is a lot of writing in the MLT program, how hard would you say it is compared to undergraduate courses where we had to write lots of lab reports? Also, from all the biology and chemistry labs I took, I would have to say microbiology lab was my favorite because I got to see the living micro-organisms under the microscope and I didn't have to write any lab reports and that is really why I am considering to become a MLT. My other question is how hard is the MLT program and how can I transition from a MLT to MT/CLS?

Thanks in advance.

If you already have a bachelor is better to go for the MT/CLS. You can go to school for a year to get your certificate if you have the prerequirements.

Jean Thomas in Wasilla, Alaska

38 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Fortunately they do require a bachelors. It's not weak like the AMT or AAB where you can have a shortcut to "MT" certification without a bachelors.

I'm a MT(AMT) with only an AAS. I was lucky I could sit for the MT test while holding just an AAS. Effective 1 Jan 2006 the AMT started to require a BS to take the MT exam. FYI the ASCP before 2000 (I don't have the exact year ASCP began requiring a BS for the MT but this is close) an AAS MLT could sit for the MT certification with 3 years experience (I have an old BOR study book for proof). The NCA went to the BS MT requirement around 2003.

Presently I am working toward my BS. I've been working in a clinical lab since 1996 and can work circles around some the MTs. And since ASCP absorbed NCA the AMT is now second in line.

Please open your mind to exploring other possiblities other than just ASCP.

Thank You

Malin in Highland, Indiana

37 months ago

Does anyone know the approximate pay difference between an MLT and MT? Many of the job listings I'm looking at in the Chicago area seem to accept both MLT and MT.

I have a B.S. in Biotechnology and am interested in eventually becoming an MT. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any affordable MT programs close to me. I'm looking into an MLT program at Kankakee Community College in Illinois. It is very affordable and is an online hybrid class, so I would only have to actually be there once every week or two.

I am considering getting the MLT certification, and then hopefully finding work as an MLT, and after a few years, converting to an MT. Does this sound like a good plan, or should I just skip the MLT and take out a loan and go straight for an MT?

Also, how competitive are MT programs? I had a very bad year in my early twenties and was unable to focus on school and really messed up my GPA. My cumulative is 2.99 and my science is around 3.3.

37 months ago

The pay difference isn't so significant starting out, but it does differ quite a bit through the years. If you get your MLT and work in a lab for two years you can do online courses and finish your BS in Clinical Laboratory Science through the University of Cincinnati. Its a good program. No campus visits at all. All online. It is ASCP recognized. In state tuition. I went that route. So did two of my friends. We got our MTs and the pay bump while working full time around our schooling. I would always suggest finishing your MT at some point. There are a lot of places that want MTs rather than MLTs. There are often restrictions on duties and responsibilities for MLTs. And of course you might be doing the same things, but always paid less. Check it out. You might like the MLT to MT program. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

wahee in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

If you are BS in biological science, and working in lab, after two year or one year experience you can give ASCP exam, and can be certified as Medical Technologist. I don't know about other state but in Il you can work in Lab as MT if you have BS degree or certain hours in chemistry, Biology, Math etc. Go and check ASCP web site or you can call them to find out which route is good. I forget but probably route 2 is for this.

37 months ago

Yes, you can sit for the ASCP exam with just a BS in biological science after one year of working in a lab. HOWEVER, you can only sit for the area of the registry in which you were working. It isn't so easy to qualify for the generalist exam. As I had posted earlier, a friend of mine has a BS in Biology. Worked in a large lab for a year. He only qualified to sit for the chemistry portion. He is now a CLS (ASCP-CH) Chemistry only. Many labs do not want employees with that kind of restriction. They want generalists. Something to keep in mind before you commit to a route.

Kayle Buffington in Vinton, Iowa

36 months ago

Where did you do your MT online thru?

Liberty G. in Muskogee, Oklahoma said: I did an online MLT to MT program. It was mostly honor system, aside from major exams. You only screwed yourself if you cheated on the coursework because you would certainly not pass the big exams or your registry. It was a great program. I have now been a MT for 3 years and am loving the pay. I think its a great idea for MLTs to consider. You don't have to move or quit your job. Only one course at a time. I'm not limited to any area in the lab since I am a full blown ASCP CLS generalist. Doing the BS with a year of experience is too limiting.

Liberty G. in Tulsa, Oklahoma

35 months ago

Kayle Buffington in Vinton, Iowa said: Where did you do your MT online thru?

I did mine throught he University of Cincinnati. They have a Distance Learning (DL) program. I believe that Weber State also offers a similiar degree. I was very happy with UC. They offer in state tuition no matter where you are from. They were very helpful and easy to work with. I never even had to set foot in Ohio. :)

amethio in Alexandria, Virginia

35 months ago

If you have a BS in Chemistry and AAS in MLT and have worked in a lab for 2 years, how easy is it to qualify for the MT ASCP generalist exam? Someone in another forum stated that you can only sit for the area of the registry in which you were working. I guess my question is do many MLTs get to work in all areas and are able to sit for the generalist exam after 2 years of working in a lab?

Liberty G. in Tulsa, Oklahoma

34 months ago

I think it all depends on where you decide to work. If you choose to work in a smaller lab then you will be expected to work as a generalist and therefore will be eligible to sit for the generalist exam I believe. Some of the very large labs prefer to have employees that only specialize in one department. They stick to one area and do it well. I don't personally know anyone who went the BS in a science and MLT with experience route. Are you able to sit for the regular generalist exam or do you have to take each exam separately?

Kimberly in Greeley, Colorado

34 months ago

I have just graduated from a MLT program and am about to sit for my AMT board test. I want to have the ASCP and MT. I have a bachelors from 1998, a mafsters from 2006 and now the associates with MLT. have been working as an extern for four months and as a MLT for 3 months. I do not know if this experience counts as part of my year experience or not, as I haven't taken the actual test yet. I was also told that since my bachelors degree is over 10 years ago, it doesnt count. Anyone have any advice?

Jean Thomas in Palmer, Alaska

34 months ago

Kimberly in Greeley, Colorado said: I have just graduated from a MLT program and am about to sit for my AMT board test. I want to have the ASCP and MT. I have a bachelors from 1998, a mafsters from 2006 and now the associates with MLT. have been working as an extern for four months and as a MLT for 3 months. I do not know if this experience counts as part of my year experience or not, as I haven't taken the actual test yet. I was also told that since my bachelors degree is over 10 years ago, it doesnt count. Anyone have any advice?

I have been a MLT since 1996. I believe the requirments is working experience. So your externship would be educational experience. I just checked the ASCP and you need your MLT certification and 2 years experience. The 10 years, I believe is for the experience not the education. It didn't notitate any age requirement for the BS degree.
Good Luck.

babspre in Atlanta, Georgia

33 months ago

Does the university of cincinnati require Organic Chemistry, as a pre-req also I noticed that the tuition there was 27,000 as opposed to others in the 10-15,ooo range.

Libby G.

33 months ago

To be honest I don't remember. They don't really pick apart your classes as part of prerequisites. If you have an AS in MLT they automatically take you in as a 3rd year student. They know you had to not only meet the course requirements for ASCP but you also had to pass the exam. Their tuition is pretty reasonable for the school. The tuition is $3,630 per term which is only $120 per term more than in-state resident students taking the courses on campus. Different states and different schools have different tuition rates. If it is too expensive just go to a cheaper school near you.

babspre in Atlanta, Georgia

33 months ago

Libby G. said: To be honest I don't remember. They don't really pick apart your classes as part of prerequisites. If you have an AS in MLT they automatically take you in as a 3rd year student. They know you had to not only meet the course requirements for ASCP but you also had to pass the exam. Their tuition is pretty reasonable for the school. The tuition is $3,630 per term which is only $120 per term more than in-state resident students taking the courses on campus. Different states and different schools have different tuition rates. If it is too expensive just go to a cheaper school near you.

Thank You Libby/Cost doesn't bother me as much as getting through the program and realizing you need more classes for ASCP Cert. I did notice though at ASCP website MLS eligibility for Cert. states this.

Route 1: A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university including courses in biological science, chemistry and mathematics AND successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Laboratory Science program within the last 5 years.

I guess route 1 is their loophole to ASCP Cert. and not needing Organic Chemistry.

Libby G.

33 months ago

I know I may be a little biased, but it really is a great program. One of my MLT co-workers went through it about 2 years after I did. It isn't easy. It is very manageable with work though. But you learn a lot. Their registry pass rate is consistantly higher than the national average. The teachers are outstanding and there is always someone an email or phone call away to help. I have a BS in Clinical Laboratory Science from University of Cincinnati. Nowhere does it specify or note that I did it online.

Dex in Fairborn, Ohio

33 months ago

I have a BS in Biology and completed a MLT program/internship. I passed the MLT(ASCP) exam and, after three years work experience, I was able to challenge and pass the MT(ASCP) exam. Do employers see "Route 2" (BS + MLT = MT) technologists differently than BSMT techs? Would it behoove me to take an MT internship/certificate program?

Libby G.

33 months ago

Dex, I think it really depends on the employer. Some facilities do prefer having someone with a BS in either Medical Technology or Clinical Laboratory Science. They know those techs got at thorough background education specific to laboratory. I know several techs who went your route (BS in a science and take the registry after years working in a lab) Sadly they are missing a lot of the medical background. Their education is really only as strong as what they were exposed to on the bench. And taking the registry is really a pass/fail attempt. But it is just fine for lots of people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dex in Fairborn, Ohio

33 months ago

Thank you Libby. That's what I thought.

sarah in Everett, Washington

33 months ago

I have been working as MLT for 3years, and have associate degree in chemistry. I am planning to do MT but do know, where to start w/ out spending too much money and time. Also will I will be eligible to for the Chemistry and hematology certification. please help.

thank you

SurfLab in Gainesville, Florida

33 months ago

I heard that the University of Cincinnati have a very good accredited program online for MLT to MT. One of my coworkers went trough the program and she is now a certified MT.

33 months ago

Dex in Fairborn, Ohio said: I have a BS in Biology and completed a MLT program/internship. I passed the MLT(ASCP) exam and, after three years work experience, I was able to challenge and pass the MT(ASCP) exam. Do employers see "Route 2" (BS + MLT = MT) technologists differently than BSMT techs? Would it behoove me to take an MT internship/certificate program?

Veterans affairs does. You have to have a clinical practice from a NAACLS accredited program to be able to aply for a job. They don't count years of experience as clinical practice. It has to be part of a program.

33 months ago

SurfLab in Gainesville, Florida said: Veterans affairs does. You have to have a clinical practice from a NAACLS accredited program to be able to aply for a job. They don't count years of experience as clinical practice. It has to be part of a program.

I meant apply.

CD in Elkhart, Indiana

28 months ago

Libby G. said: I know I may be a little biased, but it really is a great program. One of my MLT co-workers went through it about 2 years after I did. It isn't easy. It is very manageable with work though. But you learn a lot. Their registry pass rate is consistantly higher than the national average. The teachers are outstanding and there is always someone an email or phone call away to help. I have a BS in Clinical Laboratory Science from University of Cincinnati. Nowhere does it specify or note that I did it online.

How much did it cost to do MLS program online?

CD in Elkhart, Indiana

28 months ago

I am very interested in the online MLS program. My lab doesn't have a Micro Dept or Immunology Dept, would I have to do a clinical rotation for the program?

Chellezy in Asheville, North Carolina

28 months ago

CD in Elkhart, Indiana said: I am very interested in the online MLS program. My lab doesn't have a Micro Dept or Immunology Dept, would I have to do a clinical rotation for the program?

I am taking the MLS program at Univ of Cincinnati.I started last Fall Quarter (September 2011). However, the University of Cincinnati will start the Quarter to Semester conversion on August. Due to semester conversion, it will take 2 more years to finish MLS. The tuition fee is $290 per credit hours for out-of-state. I finished Fall, Winter and Spring Quarter and each quarter has 10 credits. I paid $3000 per quarter. However, when I register this coming Fall, the credit per hour is $465 for out-of-state and I will be taking Micro by Fall with 8 credit hours.

If you have years of experience as generalist or in any department, you can apply for life experience credit. If your life credit experience application proves that you have the required knowledge through your experience on any department , you do not need to repeat the clinical rotation on a particular department. For example, I am working in chemistry department, I can apply for life credit experience and I do not need to do a clinical rotation in chemistry if my application proves that I am proficient in chemistry. However, you need to submit a two reference and a letter from your department manager together with you application fee.
My experience at UC is rewarding because the case studies are very challenging but it is a great learning experience. The student assistant and the facilitators are always accommodating because they will reply to your email or calls immediately. It is one of the reason why I decided taking my MLS at UC even if it is expensive because their customer service is excellent. I applied to one of the distance learning program in my state but it took days to even a week before they will reply to my queries during my application.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.