The case for a CA CLS at LLU

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

CLS48 in California

30 months ago

Loma Linda University is the least competitive CA CLS school to get into. They have 15 to 20 spots, there is no interview to get into the program, and you're competing against fewer applicants because no one wants to pay that tuition.

Once you're accepted, as long as you do the 2 years, you will get a BS in CLS. You don't have to worry about reapplying for an internship portion because the last year of the internship is included.

Their internship year has an advantage over the other 1 year internships because you rotate in at least 4 different hospital labs. Every lab is different, and each experience will help you in getting a job because your resume will show you have worked on different instruments. This helped me. CSUDH students are kept in 1 hospital, UCI students the same, and almost all the other CA schools are similar.

The disadvantage is the $70K private school tuition. To that I say consider medical schools and pharmacy schools. The state schools are cheaper obviously but that doesn't stop students from going to the private schools and paying more for the education. Going to USC medical school will cost around $300K while going to UCLA med school would cost around $80K. Both graduate as MDs at the end, but that's a $220K difference. The LLU CLS student pays $70K while the CSUDH CLS student might pay $5K to $10K making a $60K difference. A full time and per diem CLS job can help pay that off in 4 years which is what I did. At least for me, peace of mind in knowing my career was set was worth more than the cheaper "can I get in" schools. Just something to think about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Testiculite in Saint Louis, Missouri

30 months ago

Is LLU an in-state university?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Basically, could I get licensed for CA by going to a CA school? (post bac)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

30 months ago

Yes it's in California. It's located about 60 miles east of Los Angeles. It's a private school so I don't think it matters if you're an instate resident or out of state. Yes you would be licensed as a CA CLS if you went to that school. Half the students had BS degrees before attending as did I.

It's a health professions school so they have a med school, pharm school, physical therapy school, OT, RN, CLS, etc. Cost for CLS is actually $522 a unit for 63 units a year, which comes out to $32,886 a year or $65,772 for the whole program, a little cheaper than what I thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

How much would living expenses inflate the total annual cost? Will I have to live in cardboard?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

30 months ago

Haha well yes living expenses would be more. A lot of students commuted from the surrounding areas. Living on campus would be cheaper. I myself had an apartment by campus which was $1K a month at the time. You could always get a roommate and split rent on a 2 bedroom and pay $600 each a month. You could do the math from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ca in Vacaville, California

30 months ago

What are the required classes that I need to take before applying for LLU?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ca123456 in Vacaville, California

30 months ago

What are the required classes that I need to take before applying for this program at LLU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

30 months ago

From their website. Indeed won't let me link it for some reason.

DOMAIN 1: SPIRITUAL AND CULTURAL HERITAGE
(20 quarter units or 14 semester units total)

Select units from at least three areas listed below:
Art/Music (performing arts limited to 4 quarter units)
Civilization/History, Foreign Language, Literature, Philosophy, Religion (a maximum of 8 quarter units may be applied to Domain 1; for students who attended or are enrolled in an Adventist college, 4 quarter units of religion are required per year attended).

DOMAIN 2: SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY AND ANALYSIS

Required:
College Mathematics (algebra or higher level)*
General Chemistry with laboratory (complete sequence)*
Organic Chemistry with laboratory (complete sequence)*
Introductory Physics with laboratory*
.(must include principles of light and electricity).
General Biology with laboratory (one course)*

SOCIAL SCIENCES (10 quarter units or 7 semester units total)

Required:
Cultural Diversity or Cultural Anthropology (one course)

Select remainder of social science units (to total 10 quarter units) from at least two areas listed below:
Anthropology, Economics, Geography, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology

DOMAIN 3: COMMUNICATION
(9 quarter units or 6 semester units total)

Required:
Freshman English (complete sequence)

Select remainder of communication units (to total 9 quarter units) from the courses listed below:
Computers
Public Speaking

DOMAIN 4: HEALTH AND WELLNESS
(2-6 quarter units or 2-4 semester units)

Required:
Physical Activity (two courses)
Health Education (personal health or nutrition)

DOMAIN 5: ELECTIVES
(to meet the minimum 96 quarter units or 64 semester units)

Recommended:
Anatomy and Physiology, Biochemistry, Cellular or Molecular Biology, Genetics, Speech, Computer Applications, Critical Thinking

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

30 months ago

The following is their FAQ taken from their website:

Frequently Asked Questions For Clinical Laboratory Science Program/Medical Technology

What is the average incoming GPA of your clinical lab science students?
The average incoming GPA is 3.0. We recommend a minimum incoming science GPA of 2.75. If you are not sure if you qualify, ask to speak with an advisor.

When should I apply?
Applications are accepted from December 1 to June 1 for the upcoming academic year. However, the Admissions Committee begins to review completed applications in January and continues the review process until all program positions have been filled.

What are the tuition rates?

SAHP Tuition Rates
Do I have to be a Seventh-day Adventist to get into the program?
Although Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) institution, we welcome students of all faiths.

I am graduating from high school in June, should I apply December 1 for early acceptance?
No, you should wait to apply until you are close to completing prerequisite courses. It usually takes about two years to complete prerequisite coursework at another college before you can enter our program. We do not have an early acceptance program.

Can I enter your program right after high school as a college freshman?
No, students enter the CLS program at the junior-year college level and transfer in from community colleges or other colleges or universities.

Do I have to complete all the prerequisites before I apply?
No, you do not need to have all your prerequisites completed before you apply. Simply complete the section on the application called "Projected Study Plan" so that the admissions committee knows when you plan to complete the prerequisites. Many of our applicants take prerequisite courses during the summer session immediately before the program begins in August....

CLS48 in California

30 months ago

How long does it usually take to complete all the prerequisites?
It usually takes a minimum of two years at another college to complete all prerequisites.

When does the program begin?
The program begins the third week of August.

Can I enter the program mid-year, for example in the winter or spring quarters?
Students are only allowed to enter the program at the beginning of the academic year, which begins the third week of August. If you miss the August entry date, you will have to wait until the following August to join the program.

What is the annual tuition for your program?
See program information for the latest tuition costs.

Do you provide financial aid or scholarships?
The financial aid office is able to fully fund many Loma Linda University students through grants, loans, or scholarships. Independent of the LLU financial aid office, the CLS program itself has a limited number of scholarships available. These are distributed during the program and are awarded on the basis of academic or clinical performance, dedication to the profession, and/or financial need.

I already have a bachelor's degree, can I enroll for just the clinical training portion of your program?
No, we do not accept students for the clinical training portion only. Even though you already have a BS or BA, if you join our program, you would still enter at the junior-year level and would receive a second bachelor's degree at the end of the senior year.

If I have a bachelor's degree and want to take non-degree courses, will this qualify me to take the national certification exam and qualify me to work as a Clinical Lab Scientist in California?No, in order to work in California you must have a trainee license and train in an approved laboratory before being licensed in the state of California...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

30 months ago

Do you offer a certificate in Clinical Laboratory Science?
No, only a bachelor's degree is offered. A certifiicate is available in the field of Cytotechnology.

I am currently qualified to receive a California state CLS trainee license. Can I apply to your program?
Yes, you may apply, but you would still be required to take the full two-year sequence, which includes one year of clinical training.

How soon can I get job as a CLS (med tech) after I graduate?
Graduates are immediately eligible to apply to the state for licensure and take the Board Certification Exam. After passing the exam, graduates are eligible for employment. LLU CLS employment rates have historically been close to 100 percent. The majority of graduates receive job offers within a few weeks after they begin seeking employment.

What is the average starting salary for a CLS?
The average starting salary for a CLS in California is $61,000 per year, or about $29.36/hour.

Will I be able to work while I'm enrolled in the program?
The CLS program is a full schedule with classes or clinical training scheduled all day, Monday through Friday. Full-time employment is not advisable and usually not possible. Some students work part-time during the program, but usually less than 20 hours/week.

How many of your graduates go on into medical or dental school?
On average, 30 percent of Loma Linda University CLS graduates go on to medicine, dentistry, physician's assistant, and pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

30 months ago

The Clinical Laboratory Science is a professional bachelors (4 year) program. The freshman and sophomore years, are taken at any accredited college or university, afford the fundamentals of a liberal education. Entry to the program is in the post-summer quarter at the junior-year level. After satisfactory completion of the program, the student is awarded a bachelor of science degree and is eligible for state licensure and to take the national board examination.

The junior year is a ten-month program of lecture and laboratory. Emphasis is on the basic clinical science courses necessary for CLS/MT. The senior year is a ten-month clinical practicum that provides professional clinical experience in the hospital laboratory environment. Emphasis is on technical proficiency, organization and the laboratory's relationship to patient care. Senior students must coordinate their schedules with the operation of the Loma Linda University Medical Center clinical laboratory and with supplemental training laboratories in the community. Transportation to supplemental training laboratories is the responsibility of the student. Depending on the clinical assignment, commuting times may be up to two hours one way.

The senior schedule is a full-time week (40 clock hours), arranged with a Monday through Friday, day-shift schedule for lecture and laboratory requirements. On occasion, days or times outside of this typical schedule may be necessary to allow students exposure to unique procedures. A special calendar schedule is followed which is different from the University academic calendar.

Clinical Laboratory Science--Bachelor of Science cost
YEAR 1 -63 units at $522 a unit

YEAR 2 -63 units at $522 a unit for Track A, B, C

Program affiliates: Lifestream blood bank, Community Hospital of San Bernardino, Veteran's Memorial Medical Center, Kaiser Permanente Fontana, Loma Linda Med center, Hoag memorial in Newport Beach. Students rotate in at least 3 or 4 of these labs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

PE courses... really?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

PE courses? seriously?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

30 months ago

Yes PE classes. It's dumb, but I did yoga and a fitness class lol.

Kwoked in Chino, California

18 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Loma Linda University is the least competitive CA CLS school to get into. They have 15 to 20 spots, there is no interview to get into the program, and you're competing against fewer applicants because no one wants to pay that tuition.

Once you're accepted, as long as you do the 2 years, you will get a BS in CLS. You don't have to worry about reapplying for an internship portion because the last year of the internship is included.

Their internship year has an advantage over the other 1 year internships because you rotate in at least 4 different hospital labs. Every lab is different, and each experience will help you in getting a job because your resume will show you have worked on different instruments. This helped me. CSUDH students are kept in 1 hospital, UCI students the same, and almost all the other CA schools are similar.

The disadvantage is the $70K private school tuition. To that I say consider medical schools and pharmacy schools. The state schools are cheaper obviously but that doesn't stop students from going to the private schools and paying more for the education . Going to USC medical school will cost around $300K while going to UCLA med school would cost around $80K. Both graduate as MDs at the end, but that's a $220K difference. The LLU CLS student pays $70K while the CSUDH CLS student might pay $5K to $10K making a $60K difference. A full time and per diem CLS job can help pay that off in 4 years which is what I did. At least for me, peace of mind in knowing my career was set was worth more than the cheaper "can I get in" schools. Just something to think about.

CLS48, I am worried about being accepted to LLU? My GPA is at the cut off point. What are some ways to boast my chance of being accepted?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

18 months ago

I forgot I posted this awhile ago. You could try calling and speaking with an advisor about how to increase your chances of getting into the program. I went to this CLS admissions event and did that. My gpa was already good though, so it's not like I needed help. However, the advisor that helped me was also part of the group that decided who gets accepted.

They WILL accept applicants who they know and like over those with better grades. You're stuck with the people for 2 years. They want to admit students that are eager to learn and are pleasant to talk to. It's to your advantage to show your interest in the program if you're set on going there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TFarnon in Sparks, Nevada

17 months ago

I attended the now-defunct CLS program at University of Nevada, Las Vegas. I am and was a Nevada resident, so I paid in-state tuition rates. Even though the program wasn't as selective as programs like UC Davis' program as far as GPAs went, the program was sufficiently rigorous to ensure that graduates passed the ASCP exam. It had been years since a student didn't pass the exam.

My GPA at the time of application was a skin-of-the-teeth 3.0. My science grades weren't stellar, even though I managed to earn bachelors' degrees in Biology and Chemistry. I was glad to get in because I knew that my GPA doesn't reflect my knowledge of these subjects. Proof of this was in the form of my GPA during my two years in the CLS program. I actually was on the Dean's List for two semesters! My grades went up, when the general trend is for a student's grades to drop a full grade point in a rigorous CLS program. CLS just "clicked" for me. It also helped that I had 9 years' experience in a medical basic science research lab. I was already accustomed to the language of science and medicine, and accustomed to using laboratory equipment.

What I'm trying to say here is that just because your grades aren't stellar doesn't mean that you can't find a CLS program that will take you. You may have to work incredibly hard just to pass in a CLS program, but there is a program for you somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.