Study Material and how to study for M (ASCP) EXAM they ask obscure ogranims?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

ifwisheswerehorses in Centerport, New York

30 months ago

micrbiologystudent in Carrollton, Texas said: I took the M(ASCP) 2 weeks ago and failed. The test was so hard about 80% of the questions where about organisms subspecies never mentioned in class or stressed. When asking about organisms they are asking the most detailed subspecies I never even heard about like Strep Mitis or streptococcus hydrocephalus like seriously what gives? that was just an example of the organisms they would give.

Basically I know what to expect on the exam now and should do well next time around but what is good study material?

Obviously the BOC book doesn't go into that much depth in its questions.

Don't understand why the ASCP so asking so many detailed organisms subspecies in mycology microbiology if its just obscure organisms

HELP

HELP!

since you are only taking the microbiology portion you should definitely focus on the most consise study material about microbiology. Perhaps the Concise Lab Science Review book should help. It is one of the most detailed review books out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

labgal319 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

29 months ago

I am considering taking this exam as well. It is too bad they don't offer a practice exam/study guide for it....were the questions like "so and so showed systems of blah blah blah and tested neg for this and this" and gave you 4 possible org choices? If you find a good manual to study from - I'd gladly appreciate your input. I wish you well when you take it again - you will pass!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

microbiologystudent in Carrollton, Texas

29 months ago

Yah Basically get a medical microbiology Book (ITS HELPING ALOT NOW AND I USE LAB CE EXAM SIMULATOR AND JUST DO THE PARSIT, MICRO AND MYCOLOGY SECTIONS) and review all the organisms, symptoms, normal flora, symptoms, diseases it cause, tests used [classic an new] and treatment (medication typically for treatment) I remember them asking one or two questions a certain medication for a fungal infection and over a bacteria)

Test covers parasitology, microbiology, mycology, and lab operations/lab saftey

I think my problem was first time taking it was looking at my class notes school notes to much. Class notes skip over the irrelevant organisms because they dont have a stock culture to teach with and I just didn't look it over.

I just got like 2 or 3 medical microbiology textbook from library OR TORRENTS online and review the chapters in detail even the stupid organims that you think wont be important.

I mean it look like so much material but its really not compared to a generalist exam just don't all at once just study like GPC (staphs all one day then all streps the second)

TEST gives you scenario or sometimes a straight fact knowledge question or questions with test results with 4 possible answers the problem was some of the answers were subspecies I never heard of, anyway just know your bacteria well

ALSO FOR MYCOLOGY KNOW MORPOHOLOGY i never got any pictures for mycology part just like questions like "this orgaism which is club-shape etc"

ALSO FOR MICRBO KNOW YOUR BIOCHEM REACTIONS LIA,SIM,CIT, UREA I HAD LIKE 7-8 QUESTION ON THIS AN KNOW WHAT COLOR THE TUBES TURN

GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

labgal319 in North Liberty, Iowa

25 months ago

to microbiologystudent in Carrollton, Texas

Did you retake the exam? If so, how did you do? Thanks!

Any additional tips?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

microbiologystudent in Carrollton, Texas

25 months ago

labagal319

Yes, I passed 2nd time around (finally). I was so under prepared first time around what ever you learn in school is like 40% of what you really need to know.The ASCP exam is detailed.

My advice like i posted above just grab a microbiology book BEST MICRO BOOK EVER MADE (textbook of diagnostic microbiology ) and read and take notes of all the chapters on mirco, tb, parasit, virology (the main viruses)

Dont get me wrong the test was still super hard 2nd time around but was better prepared

know the TB test and organisms just like the questions in the BOC TB section

Also this time around I used labce.com and did just the micro and parsit and mycology sections I honestly think that website questions were harder than the ASCP exam if you can answer those you should be fine.

(also know about muller hinton plates like what happens if you leave it out at room temp to long and put in in incubator OR if put in wrong incubtor or if the plate size is to thick or think or if the inculum to thin or to much ZONE SIZE EFFECT (I HAD LIKE 10 QUESTIONS ON THAT)

1-2 MONTHS IS PLENTY OF STUDY TIME BUT DO GO BACK AND REVIEW THE STUFF U STUDIED OVER AND OVER

GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

labgal319 in North Liberty, Iowa

25 months ago

Thank you so much for all your input! Do you already have a full-time job in microbiology and got the certification as a supplement? I already have a Master's and my employer sees Med Techs as the be all of things, but they would consider this certification w/my Master's as equivalent. It is interesting to hear what other people are doing for their careers. Thanks again for all your help!

Amy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Clinmicrosci in Carson, California

24 months ago

labgal319 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: I am considering taking this exam as well. It is too bad they don't offer a practice exam/study guide for it....were the questions like "so and so showed systems of blah blah blah and tested neg for this and this" and gave you 4 possible org choices? If you find a good manual to study from - I'd gladly appreciate your input. I wish you well when you take it again - you will pass!!

Hi I will be taking the test soon.any advice?Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CT in Manchester, Connecticut

20 months ago

Thank you so much for the information and tips! I am planning on taking the test soon so let see what happens. I was looking for a diagnostic microbiology text book on amazon but found a whole bunch... is there any particular one you recommend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rtoppinwhitejr@yahoo.com in Mansfield, Massachusetts

11 months ago

you can take ABB instead of the ASCP. You have to take the basic knowledge exam first and then, the clinical microbiology exam. ASCP seems to have a monopoly on the Medical technology testing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.