CLS Licensing for Philippine Graduate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 56)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Tamaraw in Manila, Philippines

25 months ago

I'm a U.S. citizen currently taking the B.S. Med Tech Course at Far Eastern University, Manila, Phlippines. I'll be graduating in 2014. The course offers 7 months in clinical rotation. Would I be able to just go back to California and apply for the exam or do I need further training(internships, classes, etc.)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

25 months ago

You will need 1 year of rotations. Unfortunately, some Filipino CLS schools shortened their internship and now made their graduates ineligible to get a CA CLS license. It will only exasperate the shortage here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

I appreciate the quick response. I guess all I need to figure out now is whether I should complete my internship requirements in the Philippines or in the U.S.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alen in Jamaica, New York

25 months ago

Why didn't you just do a program in the US?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

1. My tuition is only a $2000.00 a year:)
2. I won't have any student loans when I'm finished, so all the money from my paycheck will go in my pocket.
3. There's no waiting list.
4. It's a four year degree, but the first two years are only general subjects, which means there's two years for the actual program.
5. Who wouldn't want to study abroad? (where a beer is less than a dollar:) )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Tamaraw in Manila, Philippines said: 1. My tuition is only a $2000.00 a year:)
2. I won't have any student loans when I'm finished, so all the money from my paycheck will go in my pocket.
3. There's no waiting list.
4. It's a four year degree, but the first two years are only general subjects, which means there's two years for the actual program.
5. Who wouldn't want to study abroad? (where a beer is less than a dollar:) )

This is one of the best kept secrets that only a handful of Fil-Ams(Filipino-Americans)know about. The same quality education at an exponentially discounted price. The tuition, however, only seems affordable to us Americans because our money carries so much weight over here. The rest of the population may see the tuition as expensive though.

Also, when I was at City College of San Francisco there was always a waiting list for classes that I needed. I wouldn't get no more than four classes per sem. Over here, however, as long as you pay the tuition you're guaranteed classes and as long as yoou don't repeat any subjects, you're guaranteed to finish with a bachelors in four years. I can't say the same in the U.S. Not to mention the books here are the same one's students are using in the U.S. The only differences are that they are paperback, made from recycled paper, and cost $10.00 instead of $100.00. I can go on and on about why it's better to study in the Philippines, but I'll just leave you with those reasons for now:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

25 months ago

That sounds terrific, but the only caveat is their rotations are only 7 months which means no CA CLS license. Sounds like a waste of time for me then because it will have to be redone in the US anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

CLS48 in California said: That sounds terrific, but the only caveat is their rotations are only 7 months which means no CA CLS license. Sounds like a waste of time for me then because it will have to be redone in the US anyway.

Redone? Or couldn't I just do 5 months extra?

CLS48 in California

25 months ago

No redone. There are no programs in CA that offer 5 months. You can try going somewhere else in the US for another 6 month rotation, but one, I don't know if there are any, and two, I'm not sure how CA will look at rotations from two different programs. They might just say redo the whole thing. It's unfortunate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

h1b in California

25 months ago

or you can transfer to another school that still offers 1 year internship. I know Velez College in Cebu still has 11-month internship training program which I think would be accepted by CA LFS. Though you may need to relocate, this maybe your option since getting into program here in the US is very competitive as they only accept very few students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

What if I pass the board exam in the Philippines and work as a Med Tech for a year in a Philippine hospital before going home? Will CA accept that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alen in Jamaica, New York

25 months ago

You need to remember there are an increase of graduates now doing BS MT naacl programs in the states due to the economic situation. I can tell you first hand as unfair as it may sound to you, hospitals will always prefer the grad who went to school in the states than a foreign student. It's pretty much reality right now. Hospital admin will immediately ask you why you didn't choose to Goto school here if your a citizen, if they hear the response you gave they will definitely reject you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Alen in Jamaica, New York said: You need to remember there are an increase of graduates now doing BS MT naacl programs in the states due to the economic situation. I can tell you first hand as unfair as it may sound to you, hospitals will always prefer the grad who went to school in the states than a foreign student. It's pretty much reality right now. Hospital admin will immediately ask you why you didn't choose to Goto school here if your a citizen, if they hear the response you gave they will definitely reject you.

Thank you for your input. That may be true, but I'm banking on the chance that the scarcity of the CLS's by the time I graduate will allow for many job opportunities with minimal competition. I will definitely remember not to give the response I gave to you to the hospital admin unless they themselves are Philippine grads.

Osyrus in San Francisco, California

24 months ago

Tamaraw in Manila, Philippines said: Thank you for your input. That may be true, but I'm banking on the chance that the scarcity of the CLS's by the time I graduate will allow for many job opportunities with minimal competition. I will definitely remember not to give the response I gave to you to the hospital admin unless they themselves are Philippine grads.

Im in a similar situation as you. Graduated in SFSU in spring 2012 with a BS in Microbiology. Didnt get accepted in the program just as many of my student colleagues. It's definitely more difficult to get into despite the supposed shortage n increase in CLS retirements. I called numbers from CDPH.ca.gov and LFS asking about the internships in the Philippines and if CA would credit it. Nobody had straight answers for me. Then i was told to email this lady and so im currently waiting for her reply (if she ever does). I asked specifically how many weeks of field experience they want. Maybe i can convince (im willing to pay) them there in the Philippines to allow me to train longer to meet reqiurements CA is looking for. The tuition for the CLS internship program alone is about $16,000.00 right now in SFSU and SJSU. I wouldnt spend that much if i did my 1 year internship in the PHilippines. My brother finished his studies there in the Philippines and he's been working as a CLS for UCSF for 9yrs. Requirements were different but we know the quality of education there is sufficient. Do you know of any schools out there that may be able to help my situation? Any lead is greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Does anybody know of any colleges anywhere in the Philippines that offer 1 year training program for CLS?

Or is there any way to beat the system like taking 2 terms of 6 month training programs to equal the requirement in California?

Any advice or lead is greatly appreciated.

FEU Tamaraw in Manila, Philippines

24 months ago

Osyrus in San Francisco, California said: Im in a similar situation as you. Graduated in SFSU in spring 2012 with a BS in Microbiology. Didnt get accepted in the program just as many of my student colleagues. It's definitely more difficult to get into despite the supposed shortage n increase in CLS retirements. I called numbers from CDPH.ca.gov and LFS asking about the internships in the Philippines and if CA would credit it. Nobody had straight answers for me. Then i was told to email this lady and so im currently waiting for her reply (if she ever does). I asked specifically how many weeks of field experience they want. Maybe i can convince (im willing to pay) them there in the Philippines to allow me to train longer to meet reqiurements CA is looking for. The tuition for the CLS internship program alone is about $16,000.00 right now in SFSU and SJSU. I wouldnt spend that much if i did my 1 year internship in the PHilippines. My brother finished his studies there in the Philippines and he's been working as a CLS for UCSF for 9yrs. Requirements were different but we know the quality of education there is sufficient. Do you know of any schools out there that may be able to help my situation? Any lead is greatly appreciated.

My teacher told me that I would need to pass the board in the Philippines first, then work as a med tech in an "externship" program. It's basically volunteering at a hospital or clinic, but the good news is unlike nurses we won't have to pay the hospital to get the experience. I can't remember if she told me whether I could just add the additional 6 months to my experience in school or if I would have to start over and work for a year. Either way, I'm not complaining:) My teacher, a licensed med tech here in the Philippines, also said that there are many foreign students as well as those looking to work abroad doing this after they graduate from school in order to meet the requirements back home.

24 months ago

FEU Tamaraw in Manila, Philippines said: My teacher told me that I would need to pass the board in the Philippines first, then work as a med tech in an "externship" program. It's basically volunteering at a hospital or clinic, but the good news is unlike nurses we won't have to pay the hospital to get the experience. I can't remember if she told me whether I could just add the additional 6 months to my experience in school or if I would have to start over and work for a year. Either way, I'm not complaining:) My teacher, a licensed med tech here in the Philippines, also said that there are many foreign students as well as those looking to work abroad doing this after they graduate from school in order to meet the requirements back home.

The top schools for Medical Technology are Far Eastern Universtiy and University of Santo Thomas. UST is the oldest school in the Philippines and more prestigious, so the tuition is higher and kinda harder to get in to, but honestly it doesn't matter where you graduate from as long as you don't plan on working in the Philippines(I've got friends who've graduated in the province and are now RNs in CA). With your bachelor's in Microbio, you might be able to enroll as a third year student, which is when the actual Med Tech program starts if you started as a freshman. All of 3rd year and the first sem of 4th year is all academics(Microbio, Histo, Clinical Chem, etc.) and then the last sem of 4th year. are your clinicals(the actual internship). What I described is the program at my school, FEU, but I'm not sure of the internship program at UST. I'll have to get back to you on that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Osyrus in San Francisco, California said: Does anybody know of any colleges anywhere in the Philippines that offer 1 year training program for CLS?

Or is there any way to beat the system like taking 2 terms of 6 month training programs to equal the requirement in California?

Any advice or lead is greatly appreciated.

Check out my response to Osyrus. "Beat the system" I like the way you think brother:)

24 months ago

Osyrus in San Francisco, California said: Im in a similar situation as you. Graduated in SFSU in spring 2012 with a BS in Microbiology. Didnt get accepted in the program just as many of my student colleagues. It's definitely more difficult to get into despite the supposed shortage n increase in CLS retirements. I called numbers from CDPH.ca.gov and LFS asking about the internships in the Philippines and if CA would credit it. Nobody had straight answers for me. Then i was told to email this lady and so im currently waiting for her reply (if she ever does). I asked specifically how many weeks of field experience they want. Maybe i can convince (im willing to pay) them there in the Philippines to allow me to train longer to meet reqiurements CA is looking for. The tuition for the CLS internship program alone is about $16,000.00 right now in SFSU and SJSU. I wouldnt spend that much if i did my 1 year internship in the PHilippines. My brother finished his studies there in the Philippines and he's been working as a CLS for UCSF for 9yrs. Requirements were different but we know the quality of education there is sufficient. Do you know of any schools out there that may be able to help my situation? Any lead is greatly appreciated.

Hey, my uncle's been a CLS at UCSF since the 80's. Maybe they know each other:)

24 months ago

FEU Tamaraw in Manila, Philippines said: Hey, my uncle's been a CLS at UCSF since the 80's. Maybe they know each other:)

Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate every information. I just found out that my brother attended FEU as well so that's a good look. I just emailed FEU and hoping to get a reply. I wanted to know if they can accept me as a senior or if I can just enter the clinical training program, since I already completed the upper division courses here. Do you know the email of the head in charge of the CLS program?

Fatima in Quezon City, Philippines

16 months ago

Tamaraw in Manila, Philippines said: What if I pass the board exam in the Philippines and work as a Med Tech for a year in a Philippine hospital before going home? Will CA accept that?

Hi! Did u ever found out what to do to extend the university's 6 months internship?

Our program here is also 6 months. What to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CLS in Torrance, California

16 months ago

Fatima in Quezon City, Philippines said: Hi! Did u ever found out what to do to extend the university's 6 months internship ?

Our program here is also 6 months. What to do?

Hi Fatima! I think the best think that you can do is to cross enroll your intenrship. Some of my friends are from FEU and cross enrolled to another school for one year internship. They will be late for the their own graduation though but most of them dont really care cause they dont plan to practice in PI anyway. So that is the best thing that you can do I think. Hope it helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CLS Trainee in Los Angeles, California

7 months ago

I am a fresh BSMT graduate from Philippines. I only had 6 months of internship there, but I didn't take the Philippine Board Exam nor worked there. I got here in the US and asked the CDPH-LFS if I can qualify for the CA CLS license. They told me I need 1 year of clinical rotation here. I read about the ASCP requirements, and I need to have a year of training at a NAACLS-accredited school to be qualified for the (MLS) ASCP certification.

I am currently applying at San Francisco State University, Calstate LA, Calstate Dominguez Hills, and Loma Linda University. These schools are what I think are easier on requirements based on my situation compared to the other schools here in CA (which I think we'll both have).

What I suggest you do is ask your registrar if they can mail transcripts directly to US institutions; if not, then after you graduate be sure to request OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS WITH THE SCHOOL's SEAL, and request to of them (maybe 7) just so that you can be prepared later. If you requested them because they won't directly mail those transcripts, when you received the transcripts, be sure to have a school envelope for each, leave these transcripts in the Philippines to anyone you know so that they will be the ones who will mail these transcripts later to US institutions (Note: schools do not want transcripts coming from you).

Another thing to do is pick at least 2-3 of your science instructors that you could ask a recommendation from and ask them if they are willing to help you later. You will need to ask them for letter of recommendations later.

If you have any more questions just email me, comrade.

God bless you.

Niel E.
xeniemoego9@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS Trainee in Los Angeles, California

7 months ago

Even if you extend your training to a year in the Philippines and qualify for a CLS license in CA, it doesn't help you qualify for the ASCP because the ASCP requires you to be trained in a NAACLS-accredited program or you need to follow the other routes. Visit ASCP.ORG

CLS559 in Fresno, California

6 months ago

CLS trainee in Los Angeles, thats where your wrong. We are qualified for the ASCPi which is accepted in California :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joy in Philippines

4 months ago

Hello! I would just like to ask, i am a student of medical technology in Velez college Cebu city in the philippines... i have 1 more year til i graduate and i would like to pursue my career in california. I am a US citizen so i was wondering if it is possible just to take my board exam in california rather then taking it here, can this happen?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

h1b in California

4 months ago

joy in Philippines said: Hello! I would just like to ask, i am a student of medical technology in Velez college Cebu city in the philippines... i have 1 more year til i graduate and i would like to pursue my career in california. I am a US citizen so i was wondering if it is possible just to take my board exam in california rather then taking it here, can this happen?

Well congrats in making it to the intership since you only have 1 year left at Velez College. I am not sure if you can take the the Philippine board since you are a US citizen( unless you are a dual citizen). You can take the ASCPi though, you just have to select a different route for you to qualify as oppose to those who have a Philippine license. Once you have that, then you can apply for California license.

joy in Buting, Philippines

4 months ago

I would like to correct myself, i am a dual citizen... if i take the philippine board exam to be a certified medical technologist, what are the requirements i need to apply for a job in the states? Or what do you think is better and simpler with no hassle?

h1b in California

4 months ago

joy in Buting, Philippines said: I would like to correct myself, i am a dual citizen... if i take the philippine board exam to be a certified medical technologist, what are the requirements i need to apply for a job in the states? Or what do you think is better and simpler with no hassle?

The only difference is the route you select for ASCPi certification. When you take the the Philippine board, then you would only need your PRC # to be eligible to take ASCPi, If you don't, then you would need to send your school credentials to ASCP. As for the State of California License, all requirements and procedure are the same. You would still need to send your school credentials to the State of California.

Davao_CLS in Fresno, California

4 months ago

joy in Buting, Philippines said: I would like to correct myself, i am a dual citizen... if i take the philippine board exam to be a certified medical technologist, what are the requirements i need to apply for a job in the states? Or what do you think is better and simpler with no hassle?

Hi Joy, I was also like you. I am also a dual citizen, and I graduated in 2011 from Davao. First (1) thing you need to know is that the Philippines board exam is useless in America since you are already a citizen, they will not look at it so basically you don not have to take the Philippine board exam. I didnt take it, I just took the ASCPi International MT exam. Second (2) If your internship is not ONE(1) year, California will not grant you permission to appy for the license even though you passed the ASCPi certification. Solving the problem to number two would have to be working outside CA for one year as a generalist and have you Lab manager/Chief Medtech then apply for your CA CLS license.

cmcrisostomo in Union City, California

4 months ago

Davao_CLS in Fresno, California said: Hi Joy, I was also like you. I am also a dual citizen, and I graduated in 2011 from Davao. First (1) thing you need to know is that the Philippines board exam is useless in America since you are already a citizen, they will not look at it so basically you don not have to take the Philippine board exam. I didnt take it, I just took the ASCPi International MT exam. Second (2) If your internship is not ONE(1) year, California will not grant you permission to appy for the license even though you passed the ASCPi certification. Solving the problem to number two would have to be working outside CA for one year as a generalist and have you Lab manager/Chief Medtech then apply for your CA CLS license.

So,was yours 1 year then when u graduated 2011? I am worried regarding that one year of internship. It didn't made sense why Philippines change there curricula. Are LFS very strict to that or depends on the staff who will review the application?

Ana in Waipahu, Hawaii

4 months ago

I would like to ask about my situation. I am graduated in the philippines as medical technologist and i had only 6 months internship program. I do not have working experience as medical technologist after graduation. I am green card holder. I passed the local board but i don't have PRC license due to my age. We move here in hawaii last february 2014. Can i able to to take a licensure exam in ascp and work after i pass? help please thank you

4 months ago

cmcrisostomo in Union City, California said: So,was yours 1 year then when u graduated 2011? I am worried regarding that one year of internship. It didn't made sense why Philippines change there curricula. Are LFS very strict to that or depends on the staff who will review the application?

No my internship was 6 months. But since I was a US citizen already I was able to get a job as a CLS for the federal governmen, then got my CA license. The Philippine curriculum was changed to better prepare students for the Philippine board exam. Thus they cater for the Philippine students to have more theory than experience. They are not strict but they already have a standard checklist. if you do not have 1 year then you automatically do not qualify simple as that. I know its harsh but thats the law in California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Ana in Waipahu, Hawaii said: I would like to ask about my situation. I am graduated in the philippines as medical technologist and i had only 6 months internship program. I do not have working experience as medical technologist after graduation. I am green card holder. I passed the local board but i don't have PRC license due to my age. We move here in hawaii last february 2014. Can i able to to take a licensure exam in ascp and work after i pass? help please thank you

First thing you must know is that your PRC/MLS license from the Philippines means nothing in America so basically dont even mention it. next is the MLS program in the Philippines is eligible for the ASCPi MT route which is accepted in California. I do not know about the state laws of Hawaii.

PS. It wouldnt be bad to fix your grammar since your already in America. lol You gave me a hard time with that question. not trying to be mean just a word of advice from a kababayan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angelica in Mariveles, Philippines

3 months ago

Davao_CLS in Fresno, California said: Hi Joy, I was also like you. I am also a dual citizen, and I graduated in 2011 from Davao. First (1) thing you need to know is that the Philippines board exam is useless in America since you are already a citizen, they will not look at it so basically you don not have to take the Philippine board exam. I didnt take it, I just took the ASCPi International MT exam. Second (2) If your internship is not ONE(1) year, California will not grant you permission to appy for the license even though you passed the ASCPi certification. Solving the problem to number two would have to be working outside CA for one year as a generalist and have you Lab manager/Chief Medtech then apply for your CA CLS license.

Hi Davao_cls! I just graduated this year and I'll be moving in California or Maryland this year and I'm a little confused on what and where to take the ASCP. Should I just take ASCPi here in the Philippines? or can I take it abroad? And did you have your transcripts evaluated to AACRAO? Thank you.

3 months ago

Angelica in Mariveles, Philippines said: Hi Davao_cls! I just graduated this year and I'll be moving in California or Maryland this year and I'm a little confused on what and where to take the ASCP. Should I just take ASCPi here in the Philippines? or can I take it abroad? And did you have your transcripts evaluated to AACRAO? Thank you.

It doesnt matter where you take your ASCPi exam, they are all thru the same testing centers (Pearson Vue). For California yes you need ur transcripts evaluated from AACRAO. In Maryland I have no idea what their policies are.

Angelica in Mariveles, Philippines

3 months ago

Davao_CLS in Fresno, California said: It doesnt matter where you take your ASCPi exam, they are all thru the same testing centers (Pearson Vue). For California yes you need ur transcripts evaluated from AACRAO. In Maryland I have no idea what their policies are.

But ASCPi can only be taken here in the Philippines right? If I apply in california for ASCP, will I be able to take the test? Because it says in their site that you should be graduate from a NAACLS approved program. So I'm really confused. And when sending transcripts to AACRAO, how much did you pay for it?

h1b in California

3 months ago

Angelica in Mariveles, Philippines said: But ASCPi can only be taken here in the Philippines right? If I apply in california for ASCP, will I be able to take the test? Because it says in their site that you should be graduate from a NAACLS approved program. So I'm really confused. And when sending transcripts to AACRAO, how much did you pay for it?

ASCPi can be taken anywhere where there is testing center, even in the US. A foreign graduate does not qualify for ASCP unless one has 5 year experience that they recognize. Please refer to AACRAO for the cost as it might have changed.

Aleeza in Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey

3 months ago

Ana in Waipahu, Hawaii said: I would like to ask about my situation. I am graduated in the philippines as medical technologist and i had only 6 months internship program. I do not have working experience as medical technologist after graduation. I am green card holder. I passed the local board but i don't have PRC license due to my age. We move here in hawaii last february 2014. Can i able to to take a licensure exam in ascp and work after i pass? help please thank you

Since you took and passed the local board examination in the Phil,it also comes with an advantage for you(though some thought of having no use or credit of this in states).I, myself, took this after reviewing in Acts Review Center last year. After passing and obtained my PRC license no., it's the only requirement I sent to the Board of Certification which made me eligible to take the ASCP exam. For your case, try to contact PRC if you can obtain your license number in regards with your concern.

medtech in Quezon, Philippines

3 months ago

Aleeza in Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey said: Since you took and passed the local board examination in the Phil,it also comes with an advantage for you(though some thought of having no use or credit of this in states).I, myself, took this after reviewing in Acts Review Center last year. After passing and obtained my PRC license no., it's the only requirement I sent to the Board of Certification which made me eligible to take the ASCP exam. For your case, try to contact PRC if you can obtain your license number in regards with your concern.

Hi! Did you take your ASCPi exam in the Philippines? And which exam is harder, the local boards or the ascpi? Thank you! :)

Aleeza in Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey

3 months ago

medtech in Quezon, Philippines said: Hi! Did you take your ASCPi exam in the Philippines? And which exam is harder, the local boards or the ascpi? Thank you! :)

No, I took it here in the U.S. The ASCpi exam is 50 items. They will grade each number according to its difficulty level. The passing score would be 400/1000. Yes, it is hard but if you passed the local boards, I think you could also do the same for the ASCPi. Goodluck!

Moejoe in Castaic, California

3 months ago

CLS559 in Fresno, California said: CLS trainee in Los Angeles, thats where your wrong. We are qualified for the ASCPi which is accepted in California :)

He cls559 , this is my situation

I have passed both the Philippine board and ASCPi
I applied for a cls license in california however i was rejected due to the fact that i only had 6months of training

Now Nema Lintag ( the person who does the processing for cls applicants) mentioned
I can still apply for a cls license after i work as a cls outside california for a year
Will working for another year in the philippines be credited? Or is it only applicable if you work for a year in a different state?

If i somehow apply for an externship in my old university for an additional 6 months and ask them to include it and update my transcript will that be another option?

And if i become a trainee here in california what are the neccessary steps to do so and how much would the tuition be?

Feel free to add as much details as you want or anyone else who can answer me

Thank you fellow colleagues

Ana in Waipahu, Hawaii

2 months ago

Aleeza in Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey said: No, I took it here in the U.S. The ASCpi exam is 50 items. They will grade each number according to its difficulty level. The passing score would be 400/1000. Yes, it is hard but if you passed the local boards, I think you could also do the same for the ASCPi. Goodluck!

Thank you for your response. Now, I am waiting for my Admission Letter for ASCPi. We are moving to Cali few weeks from now. Can I Apply for a California State License. Does 6 months training program acceptable in California?

Ana in Waipahu, Hawaii

2 months ago

Angelica in Mariveles, Philippines said: Hi Davao_cls! I just graduated this year and I'll be moving in California or Maryland this year and I'm a little confused on what and where to take the ASCP. Should I just take ASCPi here in the Philippines? or can I take it abroad? And did you have your transcripts evaluated to AACRAO? Thank you.

Hi you cannot take the ascp outside US and you should have at least 3 years experience as CLS in US. You can take the ASCP international if you are a foreign graduate.

Ana in Waipahu, Hawaii

2 months ago

Davao_CLS in Fresno, California said: First thing you must know is that your PRC/MLS license from the Philippines means nothing in America so basically dont even mention it. next is the MLS program in the Philippines is eligible for the ASCPi MT route which is accepted in California. I do not know about the state laws of Hawaii.

PS. It wouldnt be bad to fix your grammar since your already in America. lol You gave me a hard time with that question. not trying to be mean just a word of advice from a kababayan.

Thank you for your informative response. Ok I will sorry for that.

2 months ago

You can take it anywhere you want. It will be at a Pearson Vue testing center. Its up to you PI or US same thing. I had the AACRAO do my evaluations since AACRAO was the certifying agency required by CA.

2 months ago

h1b in California said: ASCPi can be taken anywhere where there is testing center, even in the US. A foreign graduate does not qualify for ASCP unless one has 5 year experience that they recognize. Please refer to AACRAO for the cost as it might have changed.

Im sorry but this is totaly false. I Graduated 2011 and took the ASCPi 2 months after. Philippines qualifies due to the fact our curriculum is NAACLS approved via CHED in the Philippines.

2 months ago

Moejoe in Castaic, California said: He cls559 , this is my situation

I have passed both the Philippine board and ASCPi
I applied for a cls license in california however i was rejected due to the fact that i only had 6months of training

Now Nema Lintag ( the person who does the processing for cls applicants) mentioned
I can still apply for a cls license after i work as a cls outside california for a year
Will working for another year in the philippines be credited? Or is it only applicable if you work for a year in a different state?

If i somehow apply for an externship in my old university for an additional 6 months and ask them to include it and update my transcript will that be another option?

And if i become a trainee here in california what are the neccessary steps to do so and how much would the tuition be?

Feel free to add as much details as you want or anyone else who can answer me

Thank you fellow colleagues

To be totally honest with your situation I suggest working outside california for a year. I dont have the exact answers to be honest because i worked as a CLS in CA for the federal government for a year since i was eligble (Federal government does not require CA license) and I was a US citizen. regarding going back to school idk if that will work or not.

2 months ago

Ana in Waipahu, Hawaii said: Thank you for your response. Now, I am waiting for my Admission Letter for ASCPi. We are moving to Cali few weeks from now. Can I Apply for a California State License. Does 6 months training program acceptable in California?

No california only accepts 1 year internship.

h1b in California

2 months ago

Davao_CLS in Fresno, California said: Im sorry but this is totaly false. I Graduated 2011 and took the ASCPi 2 months after. Philippines qualifies due to the fact our curriculum is NAACLS approved via CHED in the Philippines.

I was referring to ASCP not ASCPi. There is a difference

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.