NAACLS Accreditation... How necessary is it, really?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Mike in Melbourne, Florida

17 months ago

The question, I believe, is self-explanatory. If I get my degree from a regionally-accredited school and certified by a national agency such as ASCP, will the lack of NAACLS accreditation of said program be a big deal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas

17 months ago

How do you plan on taking the ASCP if your program is not NAACLS-accredited?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas said: How do you plan on taking the ASCP if your program is not NAACLS-accredited?

Hmmm, good point, I hadn't thought of that. Are there other accrediting agencies that are looked at favorably that don't require NAACLS accreditation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Actually, according to the ASCP site, the program itself doesn't need to be NAACLS accredited, only the lab program you do afterward. "A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university including courses in biological science, chemistry and mathematics, AND successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Laboratory Scientist program within the last 5 years; OR"

www.ascp.org/certification#tabs-1

17 months ago

Or does "program" mean you'd have to go back to college for the requisites for another BS? I find that wording a little confusing.

New York Mets in new york, New York

17 months ago

Mike in Melbourne, Florida said: Or does "program" mean you'd have to go back to college for the requisites for another BS? I find that wording a little confusing.

I believe you misinterpreted it, basically you need to have general required courses in sciences, chemistry, and math(for example in school A, you need 1 year of chemistry, 1 year of biology, etc. etc, before attending the lab program in the school itself. Every school is different in their basic requirements - some schools require 1 year of organic chem, some require only 1 semester.

Most schools are 2 + 2 programs where first two years you are pretty much undeclared(as you complete your prereqs) then the last 2 years you are in the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

New York Mets in new york, New York said: I believe you misinterpreted it, basically you need to have general required courses in sciences, chemistry, and math(for example in school A, you need 1 year of chemistry, 1 year of biology, etc. etc, before attending the lab program in the school itself. Every school is different in their basic requirements - some schools require 1 year of organic chem, some require only 1 semester.

Most schools are 2 + 2 programs where first two years you are pretty much undeclared(as you complete your prereqs) then the last 2 years you are in the program.

Gotcha. The thing is my school doesn't actually have the 2+2 program, it's more like the 4+1 type. I'm just unsure how I'm going to go about doing this as I go to NU, and I'll be trying to get into a lab program post-grad in Florida (the school is in Cali). How do I find a program after graduation? Do I just call labs in the area and ask them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Mike in Melbourne, Florida said: Gotcha. The thing is my school doesn't actually have the 2+2 program, it's more like the 4+1 type. I'm just unsure how I'm going to go about doing this as I go to NU, and I'll be trying to get into a lab program post-grad in Florida (the school is in Cali). How do I find a program after graduation? Do I just call labs in the area and ask them?

You can easily apply on their websites, NAACLS website has an entire list of schools that are accredited by them. Since you are graduating from a 4 year college(NU), before you start your senior year you should apply to one year NAACLS approved program(in California).

Before you do that, I checked NU's Florida campus, and I see it is mostly a 'online' campus, please make sure that the science courses you take include a laboratory segment(which have to be a physical class) and honestly, science courses that are 'online' will most likely not be accepted when you try to transfer.

Once accepted by those 'one year' programs, they will handle placement into labs for your internship.There are some unique cases where their is a competitive placement, but I have only seen these at 3+1 and 2+2 programs.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

New York Mets in new york, New York said: You can easily apply on their websites, NAACLS website has an entire list of schools that are accredited by them. Since you are graduating from a 4 year college(NU), before you start your senior year you should apply to one year NAACLS approved program(in California).

Before you do that, I checked NU's Florida campus, and I see it is mostly a 'online' campus, please make sure that the science courses you take include a laboratory segment(which have to be a physical class) and honestly, science courses that are 'online' will most likely not be accepted when you try to transfer.

Once accepted by those 'one year' programs, they will handle placement into labs for your internship.There are some unique cases where their is a competitive placement, but I have only seen these at 3+1 and 2+2 programs.

Good Luck!

Well, I can't speak to the other science courses, but my Bio class had a virtual laboratory segment. I did wonder about the online nature of NU's distance program, but I also noticed that University of Cincinnati has an NAACLS-accredited online-only CLS program. NU is a brick and mortar in California, and regionally accredited, so I assumed all their credits would transfer. Is that incorrect?

The only reason I'm doing the online route is because logistically it would be difficult to do an on-campus program here in Brevard, though there is one locally at Brevard Community College. The problem is that they only do AS degrees, and I'd have to enter the MLT program instead of a direct 4-year MT program. Should I maybe look at doing that instead? I suppose I could try and find a way to make it work. I've gotten most of my gen ed classes already done through NU, at least.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

On a similar topic, the state of Florida accepts other accrediting credentials such as AAB for licensure; do you think that if I ended up with a CLS degree from NU and an AAB credential I could find a state-approved lab rotation after college? I know that I could probably get those things and the 5 years work experience necessary for ASCP certification, but I was curious as to your take on it.

17 months ago

Mike in Melbourne, Florida said: Well, I can't speak .... done through NU, at least.

Unfortunately, University of Cinn.'s online program is only for MLT's, whom generally completed their basic sciences during the MLT program. Their online MLS programs does involve most courses online, but their clinical rotations are negotiated with the area you actually reside. However, not all hospitals/labs will accept the offer, so there is a chance the person will have to relocate for rotations.

AAB licensure for Florida and California is different(just like ASCP licensure here in NY is different from non-NAACLS schools and NAACLS) so if you plan to go to California it will most likely not be accepted(since not a NAACLS school) I am not sure if a CLS degree from NU and AAB will warrant a lab rotation, as it generally doesn't work that way. The internship is done during 'school' and not after.

The safest route is always to find an accredited NAACLS program in Florida b) go through the MLT route and then MLS online program(but remember it's alot of $$$)

I know you might be a situation where you have to work/support family, hence online program, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made for a better future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Oh, you're right, I forgot that you have to actually be working in a lab also to quality for UC's program. I really want to do the lab rotation for practical experience, but I know that if I go the AAB route I can stay in Florida and work for five years then get ASCP accreditation. I asked NU about the accreditation issue before, and they said that their program qualifies students to sit for the CA licensure exam. I'd love to move to California one day but if I have to, I'm not opposed to staying here in Florida.

I guess the whole reason this is an issue for me in the first place is because I want to move to the West Coast, but maybe I'll be better off just staying in Florida. The entire reason I want to pursue the MT career is as a precursor to a graduate degree in genetics for a research job.

17 months ago

Thanks a lot for your responses, by the way. I've been sending out calls to deaf ears lately and I'm fairly ignorant on this subject. It seems a bit complex.

Do you think that if worse came to worst and my CLS degree wasn't viable for working as an MT I could use it for other careers or as a simple bio degree? I know I can use it as a pre-med degree if anything.

Courtney McIntyre in Rancho Cucamonga, California

3 months ago

Hey guys! I notice none of you are from my side of the US.. I have been looking into some of the NAACLS accredited schools in California, or even schools that offer a pathology program.. I am struggling over here. I have a year left until I earn my BS in health sciences. I noticed San Diego has one but I am 3 hours plus away from there can any one give me some leads... I'm in San Bernardino County and do not mind driving an hour away.... also any tips or additional information is always wanted :) you can e-mail me directly! thanks for taking the time out to answer my question! roxegrl13@aol.com

Courtney

CLS48 in California

3 months ago

Try Loma Linda University for CLS. It is in san bernardino county.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

Thank you so much for that, my sister is actually an E.R. Nurse for Loma Linda and they don't have it :-(

Thank you though!
Courtney

CLS48 in California

3 months ago

Of course they have a CLS program. The students train in the med center in the lab. It's in the school of allied health professions. Your sister is misinformed.

I'd link you to the exact site but indeed does not allow it. Search LLU's website.

3 months ago

Thank you so much for help!! I am going to look into it right now and then send her the info letting her know she should probably just ask some one next time ha ha... Thank you again!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.