Any Medical Technologist from Texas

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

bio2013 in Dallas, Texas

14 months ago

I have a BS in Microbiology and been thinking of going back to school for a whole now.I was thinking of getting a certification on MT from TexasTech. I was wondering if this is a right way to go. Are MTs good demand in Texas? What is the job market for this career in Texas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas

14 months ago

Yes, there is demand at virtually every hospital. The demand will only increase because most MTs are nearing retirement age and there are not adequate replacements. This will (hopefully) increase demand and pay, but so far I haven't seen much evidence of that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

myr texas in Tyler, Texas

14 months ago

Yes, on the next 2-8 years there will be more demand of med techs.In some laboratories that I've been working more are baby boomers and I am one of them.I will retire at the end of 2014.
I think you are on the right spot.Get your MT first and be willing to be train in Micro department since that's your major . Goodluck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bio2013 in Dallas, Texas

14 months ago

Thank you for ur comments! That gives me some confidence. Do you happen to know anyone who took this certification prgm frm TexasTech in Lubbock. They offer an online prgm, and that's what I was looking to apply for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bio2013 in Dallas, Texas

14 months ago

And what is the pay like at the moment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hugh_UTMB in Fort Worth, Texas

14 months ago

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas said: Yes, there is demand at virtually every hospital. The demand will only increase because most MTs are nearing retirement age and there are

Hi Andy ! This is Hugh. I will be a new student a utmb cls regular track this fall 2013, I am so excited to be there and I glad that I know you via this website ! I am trying to study as much as possible to fulfill my immature knowledge on cls. I am o worried about that!
Nice to know you
I am very looking forward to hearing from you and learning from you
Best regards,
Hugh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Hugh_UTMB in Fort Worth, Texas said:

Hey Hugh, glad to hear you're coming to UTMB. The program here has a pretty rigorous didactic component. I came to this program with little knowledge of CLS too, but I studied hard and got through the classes just fine. The first semester consists of hematology (red cells, white white cells, platelets; disorders (anemias, leukemias, etc.); and coagulation), microbiology (staph, strep, gram positive rods and enterobacteriacae), biochemistry (Krebs cycle, gluconeogenesis, etc.) and basic laboratory techniques (how to do serial dilutions, proper pipetting, calculation concentration and venipuncture)

Good luck! Fall '13 is my last semester at UTMB, so you might see me around.

14 months ago

Bio2013, the pay is generally around $45,000 for new grads, ~$55,000 for experienced non-managers, ~$65-70 for supervisors and ~$80-100,000 for laboratory managers or chief technologists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brenda Z in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

Hello! I also live in Texas and I am looking into applying to medical technology programs after I get my bachelors from biochemistry in one year. Currently I am looking into applying into Methodist Hospital, MD Anderson and the Categorial-certification microbiology program at UTMB. It seems that you guys have already gone through the application process and are already in the school so I would like to ask how hard is it to get into these programs especially the programs at UTMB and Methodist?

14 months ago

Brenda Z in Houston, Texas said: Hello! I also live in Texas and I am looking into applying to medical technology programs after I get my bachelors from biochemistry in one year. Currently I am looking into applying into Methodist Hospital, MD Anderson and the Categorial-certification microbiology program at UTMB. It seems that you guys have already gone through the application process and are already in the school so I would like to ask how hard is it to get into these programs especially the programs at UTMB and Methodist?

What's your GPA?

14 months ago

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas said: Hey Hugh, glad to hear you're coming to UTMB. The program here has a pretty rigorous didactic component. I came to this program with little knowledge of CLS too, but I studied hard and got through the classes just fine. The first semester consists of hematology (red cells, white white cells, platelets; disorders (anemias, leukemias, etc.); and coagulation), microbiology (staph, strep, gram positive rods and enterobacteriacae), biochemistry (Krebs cycle, gluconeogenesis, etc.) and basic laboratory techniques (how to do serial dilutions, proper pipetting, calculation concentration and venipuncture)

Good luck! Fall '13 is my last semester at UTMB, so you might see me around.

Thanks Andy! It's a blessing for me to know and learn from you! I am pretty worried and stressed to know that cuz they would dismiss us from the program if we did not do well! I have bought books for the 1st semester. Are you doing clinical rotations now?

Peejay_85 in Texas

14 months ago

Hey guys, I stumbled over this field about a year ago and I have one more class to complete (Chem II) before I can apply to UTMB.

Right now, my GPA is a 3.0 and I as far as degrees go, I only have an Associates in General Sciences. I'm going to take Chemistry II this summer to finish out my pre-requisites.

All I would like to know is if I have a strong chance on getting accepted to UTMB.

medlabtalk in Fair Lawn, New Jersey

14 months ago

Peejay_85 in Texas said: Hey guys, I stumbled over this field about a year ago and I have one more class to complete (Chem II) before I can apply to UTMB.

Right now, my GPA is a 3.0 and I as far as degrees go, I only have an Associates in General Sciences. I'm going to take Chemistry II this summer to finish out my pre-requisites.

All I would like to know is if I have a strong chance on getting accepted to UTMB.

High GPA is not only thing that programs look into. 3.0 is good. (I think I had 3.1 to 3.2 before I was accepted.) In General they also look at what other activites you do or past history. Like a job in a hospital as a: Secretary, nurse assistant, phlebotomist, lab assistant etc. This is a great boost because of work experience, and how many years. As of someone who has a 4.0 GPA who has no work experience. Or as a Volunteer at a hospital nursing home, etc. This shows you are a eager person to be in the medical field. Consider also the recommendation letters. And also a huge help is if you know someone from UTMB.

Bio2013 in Dallas, Texas

14 months ago

Do u guys knw anyone who took this as a certification frm Texas Tech in Lubbock. THats whr I applied for.

14 months ago

Hello Andy, medlabtalk and everyone else. I have a 3.8. I've volunteered at a pathology lab (doing general things like filing and running errands)and I've also done a little bit of research in a biochem lab at my school. Right now I am looking into volunteering again at the hospital as an interpreter. I am hoping this all helps in the future! =)

14 months ago

Brenda Z in Houston, Texas said: Hello Andy, medlabtalk and everyone else. I have a 3.8. I've volunteered at a pathology lab (doing general things like filing and running errands)and I've also done a little bit of research in a biochem lab at my school. Right now I am looking into volunteering again at the hospital as an interpreter. I am hoping this all helps in the future! =)

You'll have absolutely no trouble getting in with a 3.8 and those extracurriculars. My GPA was about 3.3 and I got in without issues. In fact, if I were you I would set my sights higher than medical technology. With that GPA and a decent MCAT, you can get into any medical school in TX! Of course, that's if you want to be a doctor :)

14 months ago

Also, I would definitely do the full 2-year program rather than the categorical micro certification. While you may get hired as a categorical, you'll have fewer places to work as many hospitals send out their micro specimens to other labs. For example, Memorial Hermann's entire system of hospitals sends their micro to one centralized location (MH Southwest Hospital near 59 and the beltway). With the 2-year program, you can be MLS(ASCP) certified, allowing you to specialize in any division or work as a generalist. Who knows, you might enjoy one of the other divisions (chemistry, hematology or blood banking) more than micro!

14 months ago

Hugh_UTMB in Fort Worth, Texas said: Thanks Andy! It's a blessing for me to know and learn from you! I am pretty worried and stressed to know that cuz they would dismiss us from the program if we did not do well! I have bought books for the 1st semester. Are you doing clinical rotations now?

Yes, I'm done with rotations this week and beginning to study for the comprehensive exam ("comp") required to graduate. UTMB students must pass the comp before they are allowed to graduate, ensuring they do well on the national ASCP exam.

Freddy in Lima, Peru

14 months ago

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas said: Yes, I'm done with rotations this week and beginning to study for the comprehensive exam ("comp") required to graduate. UTMB students must pass the comp before they are allowed to graduate, ensuring they do well on the national ASCP exam.

Hello everyone, I need a help. I am a Peruvian medical technologist and I work in a hospital. I wonder if you tell me how I can say my title job in English as I am not neither a supervisor nor a managner, I just perform micorbiological tests in my routine work. Thank you

13 months ago

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas said: Also, I would definitely do the full 2-year program rather than the categorical micro certification. While you may get hired as a categorical, you'll have fewer places to work as many hospitals send out their micro specimens to other labs. For example, Memorial Hermann's entire system of hospitals sends their micro to one centralized location (MH Southwest Hospital near 59 and the beltway). With the 2-year program, you can be MLS(ASCP) certified, allowing you to specialize in any division or work as a generalist. Who knows, you might enjoy one of the other divisions (chemistry, hematology or blood banking) more than micro!

Thank you Andy for the information. I would prefer to do a one-year program, which is why I was looking more into the categorical certificate, but if its more beneficial to do the 2-year program then I will consider that option. I am planning to go to an open house at UTMB to get more information on the programs.
And being a doctor is a good suggestion but it is definitely out of the question. I considered it before but I found that I don't have the passion or the attitude that a good doctor should have.

11 months ago

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas said: Yes, I'm done with rotations this week and beginning to study for the comprehensive exam ("comp") required to graduate. UTMB students must pass the comp before they are allowed to graduate, ensuring they do well on the national ASCP exam.

Hey andy ! i am going down to Galveston this coming up August for orientation and starts off a new life there. Would you mind if I can meet you and hear to to share about studying skills and life experience there ? this is my first time leaving far away to live alone so that I will definitely need your experienced advices and supports. If you dont mind please email me at quanghuy1811@gmail.com.
I am very looking forward to hearing from you,
Best Regards !

hugh

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.