Tell me about Route 2, MLT to MT certification

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

cathymg2 in Kernersville, North Carolina

13 months ago

Hi! I'm a certified (ASCP) MLT and I need to get my MT certification to move ahead in my laboratory. I have a B.A. in journalism (long story, this is my second career). I had a bunch of science classes from the first degree, but ended up with the B.A. After the career change, I got my MLT certification through a local MLT program. According to route 2, I can challenge the MLS exam if I meet the criteria of working full time two years and have the classes. I'm finishing up the chemistry classes soon, and then, on paper, I should qualify to sit.
However, I'm worried my work experience may hinder me. I work in a large hospital, and only work in Chemistry, Hematology and Urinalysis. I don't do any blood bank or microbiology (outside of what I did as part of my clinical rotations). Will ASCP look at this, or only that I'm working full time in a certified lab?
I've tried to talk with the people at ASCP and they seem to think it's ok, but no one will come out and say it. I get the standard "You need to send us your credentials and transcript" speech. I just hate to get my hopes up in case this doesn't work out.
Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nuggets24 in New Haven, Connecticut

12 months ago

I did Rt2 but first had MLT(ASCP). Id say just go ahead and get your certification, it will get you more dough, or it should. Of course, if you have the ability, do a full MT program. If you don't have the ability, get certified, study alot on your own cuz those liberal arts sciences classes have NOTHING to do with MT. But, expect to continue working in hemo, chem, UA.

After you get certified, find an employer who will train you for BB/micro/MB, whatever. You probably really should not work in BB/micro etc unless you have extensive job training anyway. Ask yourself if you enjoyed those clinical rotations in your MLT program, which should have included them. good luck. petition away. its a route for a reason, but from my experience, its better to get a BS in MT. whatever, i did rt.2 as we

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer78 in Mobile, Alabama

11 months ago

cathymg2 in Kernersville, North Carolina said: Hi! I'm a certified (ASCP) MLT and I need to get my MT certification to move ahead in my laboratory . I have a B.A. in journalism (long story, this is my second career). I had a bunch of science classes from the first degree, but ended up with the B.A. After the career change, I got my MLT certification through a local MLT program. According to route 2, I can challenge the MLS exam if I meet the criteria of working full time two years and have the classes. I'm finishing up the chemistry classes soon, and then, on paper, I should qualify to sit.
However, I'm worried my work experience may hinder me. I work in a large hospital , and only work in Chemistry, Hematology and Urinalysis. I don't do any blood bank or microbiology (outside of what I did as part of my clinical rotations). Will ASCP look at this, or only that I'm working full time in a certified lab ?

I've tried to talk with the people at ASCP and they seem to think it's ok, but no one will come out and say it. I get the standard "You need to send us your credentials and transcript" speech. I just hate to get my hopes up in case this doesn't work out.
Thanks!!

Did you find anything out? I am curious about this as well. I also have a bachelors degree in something non science, and am looking to take a MLT program at a local college. I dont want to be stuck with another dead end degree. I was thinking if i could find a job for the two years as a MLT while taking the extra chem and bio class i need i could do route 2 as well. Local jobs for MLT look to be few and far between, everyone wants MLS...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cathy in Kernersville, North Carolina

11 months ago

I have enough science credits along with my BA to take the hematology portion of the test. I am going to finish up my classes, but take the heme MT portion of the test in the interim. Once I qualify I will apply to sit for the entire exam. Kind of redundant, but will make me eligible for an upcoming MT position in our lab.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.