is there a demand for MB (ASCP)?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

DT in Houston, Texas

26 months ago

My question is if there is high demand out there for Molecular Biologists MB (ASCP) certified. Are there any jobs for such individuals? The vast majority of the job postings that I have seen is for MT (ASCP) (or MLS (ASCP)). My understanding is that MLS certification is much broader than MB and includes the molecular biology skills. But is MB preferred in molecular diagnostics labs over MLS?
Many thanks in advance to the people who will reply to this posting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ellen in Saint Louis, Missouri

23 months ago

DT in Houston, Texas said: My question is if there is high demand out there for Molecular Biologists MB (ASCP) certified. Are there any jobs for such individuals? The vast majority of the job postings that I have seen is for MT (ASCP) (or MLS (ASCP)). My understanding is that MLS certification is much broader than MB and includes the molecular biology skills. But is MB preferred in molecular diagnostics labs over MLS?
Many thanks in advance to the people who will reply to this posting.

-------------------------------------------------
Do you find any answer for your question? I am thinking switch my career from a post-doc researcher to a molecular biology technologist, but not sure if it worth to spend time on the preparing of the MB certificate exam, if the job opening is very few. As I known, the molecular diagnosis is still not a routine in may hospitals because it is too sensitive and expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Clinical Intern in SE, Michigan

22 months ago

I kind of see MB (ASCP) as an add-on for someone who is already an MLS (ASCP).
I have never seen any openings for MB (ASCP) but I do know if you are an MLS and have your MB certification you
would probably get full run of PCR or virology and maybe even become a department manager since you will be way
more educated then your fellow co-workers in that department.

Thats my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.