Advice on finding a job in California after internship.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

CLSStudent2012 in California

25 months ago

I'm currently doing my internship this year, but I like to look at job postings once and a while and would like to get a rough idea of areas I'd want to live/work in. It is unlikely that the hospital I'm rotating at will hire me- it seems they hire one intern every 3 years or so, so I'm not expecting a job offer at the end. I was just wondering if people could share their experiences finding a job after their rotation, and if any websites or other resources were helpful in locating a position.

What would be especially helpful is if anyone works in the micro department. I have a feeling this is where I'll end up, as my BA is in Medical Micro and I have a very strong background in and enjoy this field. On the downside, 99% of the entry level jobs I've found is for the automated departments.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RecentMTGrad in Carrollton, Texas

25 months ago

Look on sites like monster.com, indeed.com, or simply hired.com

Also if your really having trouble finding a job there are specific staffing agencies like Medical Search Associates,KA-recruiting,CompHealth Permanent Placement, Titan Mecical and etc that staff medical technologists all over the USA (they get some bonus if the hospital they sent your resume hires you after the interview since there job is pretty much like sales they really help to fit your needs and get your hired so they can make that commission)

Don't think you will get a job real fast I know people who graduated and certified still looking for their first job after like 7 months and no one is hiring them and then I know others who got a job in less than 2 weeks after applying its just the luck of the draw and when and where you apply.

Push comes to shove contact a staffing agency they might be in areas across the country from where you live but do work with hospitals all over the USA to get you a job.

If your looking for a Micro Specific job your just limiting your chances of getting a job quicker most places want a MT-generalist but keep actively looking online and calling healthcare staffing agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

WhiskeySlick in California

25 months ago

CLSStudent2012 in California said: I'm currently doing my internship this year, but I like to look at job postings once and a while and would like to get a rough idea of areas I'd want to live/work in. It is unlikely that the hospital I'm rotating at will hire me- it seems they hire one intern every 3 years or so, so I'm not expecting a job offer at the end. I was just wondering if people could share their experiences finding a job after their rotation, and if any websites or other resources were helpful in locating a position.

What would be especially helpful is if anyone works in the micro department. I have a feeling this is where I'll end up, as my BA is in Medical Micro and I have a very strong background in and enjoy this field. On the downside, 99% of the entry level jobs I've found is for the automated departments.

Thanks!

TONS of jobs in CA. Ask around, be inquisitive and show interest. I read somewhere that the average age of a CA CLS is 58, that means tons of retirees here in a few years. Most importantly be proactive and the jobs will come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

we are hiring CA CLSs in Los Angeles, California

19 months ago

Hope you don't mind me jumping into your conversation, but our facility in West Los Angeles is hiring CA CLS's who have their license or have applied for their license beyond the trainee license, and often has openings if you are not looking for one at this point. We are looking for CGMBS's or generalist CLS's to perform molecular techniques for genotyping. It is a lot of manual benchwork, with some automated DNA extraction. All training is provided as long as you have the license. We have several shifts available and welcome any questions or inquiries! If you are interested, please contact me directly. I am not with a staffing agency. You can e-mail me at cching@ngi.com. Best of luck in your job search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.