how to get a home position

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 250)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

shawne

82 months ago

I am a nurse and was wondering if that would cut down on the courses required to be a medical transcriptionist. Also how long does it take to complete a legitimate online course and is it realistic to think i could get an at-home position to start. Thanks shawne

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (507) / No (81) Reply - Report abuse

Jude Russo in Leesburg, Virginia

82 months ago

I have 20 yrs. of orthopaedic surgery and plastic/reconstruction surgery, about 5 yrs. dermatology, 2 yrs. peds and approx. 5 yrs. general surg./internal med. and emergency/urgent care transcription. What else can I tell you? Thanks, Jude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Teri in Metairie, Louisiana

81 months ago

Jude Russo in Leesburg, Virginia said: I have 20 yrs. experience in medicine as educator/medical transcriber. Looking for in-home work medical transcription now. I have all equipment to transcribe. Please reply ASAP as I need the income. Please reply judedude@comcast.net

Jude have you tried looking for a job on mtjobs.com There are many many jobs on that site. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Shubhda Chaube in Saint Petersburg, Florida

80 months ago

I do have an experience too..so well accustomed with foreign voices. Had to take a break because of childbirth. Now set again for part-time job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Shubhda Chaube in Saint Petersburg, Florida

79 months ago

That would be a nice thing to do. Only problem being I dont have any software like medical dictionary. Can you help me with that too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Julia in Rezekne, Latvia

78 months ago

Position from home: business-consultant in american travel agency.If you have interest write me lijaniki@yahoo.ie
www.lalija3.mytravelclubusa.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Springfield, Illinois

78 months ago

I do not feel sorry for you at all!!! Now the India MT's understand what they did to us in the United States....What goes around comes around!!! India destroyed the job industry for us MT's in the USA!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Springfield, Illinois

78 months ago

Banaja in Bombay, India said: i interested to do medical transcriptino work at home so can u please povide home based MT wokk so i will be obliged.

You need to learn English!!! There are so many grammer mistakes in your sentence, nobody would hire you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

mtathome in Yorba Linda, California

78 months ago

shawne said: I am a nurse and was wondering if that would cut down on the courses required to be a medical transcriptionist. Also how long does it take to complete a legitimate online course and is it realistic to think i could get an at-home position to start. Thanks shawne

One of the BIG-3 MT schools has a course designed for medical pro's...I think it might be either M-Tec or Andrews. You might check their websites.

It's easy to find a wah MT job if you graduate from a good school...most MTs do work at home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I highly recommend choosing an AHDI-approved school. You can read about them at this link:

www.ahdionline.org/scriptcontent/mtapproved.cfm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

linda in Senegal

77 months ago

sanjay in Calcutta, India said: hi i am a science garaduate(bio);having no MT experience but having a good command over medical terminalogy. can you tell about essential equipments and criteria for doing home based MT jobs.

lindamayor2005@yahoo.ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tootie in Minneapolis, Minnesota

77 months ago

Susan in Springfield, Illinois said: I completed a Medical Transcription course at college with a GPA of 3.85 and I can't seem to find a job for a newbie. I take pride in my work and would give 110%. I can work any time, any days.
Thank you.

Good Luck, I have ten years experience and got laid off from my last two jobs. It is bad career move because there is nothing out there right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tootie in Minneapolis, Minnesota

77 months ago

shawne said: I am a nurse and was wondering if that would cut down on the courses required to be a medical transcriptionist. Also how long does it take to complete a legitimate online course and is it realistic to think i could get an at-home position to start. Thanks shawne

You don't want to get in this field. First of all, even if you could get a medical transcription job, you would get paid significantly less. Second, there is nothing out there but crap work now because of ....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Deanna Shulman in Windermere, British Columbia

76 months ago

I am soon to start studying to become an MT and am wondering what a seasoned MT makes for an average wage nowadays?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

"I am soon to start studying to become an MT and am wondering what a seasoned MT makes for an average wage nowadays?"

Seasoned MTs can make anywhere from $25,000 to $50,000+, depending on how they do the work, i.e., working for some large national MT companies pays the least; working for yourself pays well; working for a hospital pays well, etc. There are many different ways to do the work.

You do have to be well trained to make the best money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Deanna Shulman in Windermere, British Columbia

76 months ago

Thanks Linda, guess I better get started:-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Personally, I would be furious if someone, from any country, undercut me and took my job. I'm careful not to offer my services at such a low rate that it undercuts other American MTs; that's what brings pay down for everyone.

MTs from India and other countries undercut American MTs, which causes American MTs to lose their jobs. American MTs need their jobs just as much as foreign MTs need jobs. American MTs have kids to support, bills to pay, as do foreign MTs.

As you mentioned, we should be angry at the companies that offshore, not the individual MTs who work for them, and yet the individual MTs who take American jobs are the ones getting our work, transcribing our own doctors' dictation, doctors from our own towns and cities, and it's very difficult not to blame the individual hearing those doctors' voices, transcribing those doctors' reports, for the loss of our jobs; those individuals are here asking for our jobs from our home towns.

Again, it's the companies that offshore that should take the blame, but emotionally it's very difficult to watch people from India looking to transcribe for doctors from Ohio, Michigan, New York...our cities, our doctors, our American patients.

Besides, sending medical records overseas is a violation of privacy for Americans. I don't want my medical records floating around in some foreign country...I want my medical records kept in my own country.

What I'm saying is this - I do know American MTs who have lost their jobs to India, American MTs who needed their jobs very much, and it's very difficult to turn the other cheek and say, sure, take our jobs.

It seems that Indian MTs should transcribe for their own local doctors, just as we transcribe for our own local doctors. It seems like poaching. That's why people get mad. It isn't that there aren't any doctors in India that need their reports transcribed....there are many, many doctors, hospitals, and clinics in India that need transcriptionists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

I couldn't add any more to my previous post above...the box was full, but I also wanted to say this:

I don't have any hatred for Indian MTs. I know there are plenty of US jobs available to me and to other American MTs, and we won't run out of work. I was trying to explain, in my post above, why there is animosity toward Indian MTs. It isn't caused by ignorance or hatred; it's caused by the threat of losing a job that is very important to an American MT, one who needs to feed her kids, pay her rent, pay her bills. American jobs are important to American MTs too, not just to Indian MTs.

But again, there are plenty of US jobs available, and MTs won't run out of work because of Indian MTs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jjudy in Bolingbrook, Illinois

74 months ago

Seeking employment as a Radiology Transcriptionist from home or nearby location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Springfield, Missouri

74 months ago

Susan in Springfield, Illinois said: I completed a Medical Transcription course at college with a GPA of 3.85 and I can't seem to find a job for a newbie. I take pride in my work and would give 110%. I can work any time, any days.
Thank you.

I'm considering medical transcription coursework and am trying to find out how easy or hard it will be to find a job. Have you found a job, yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

someone who knows in Brownstown, Indiana

73 months ago

WHY THE HELL DO YOU WANT TO BECOME A MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST, IF YOU ARE A NURSE? You are in for a rude awakening. The general unspoken consensus is that medical transcriptionists are a bunch if idiot typists who don't know anything but how to type and can't even spell. That's the fact even though the the contrary is true. Be careful, because once you get into this unpleasant field with a bunch of hateful women, you will have a difficult time getting out. People will wonder what was wrong with your nursing skills that you are transcribing. Keep your nursing license up because once you finally are aware of all of this, it will be too late.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Kathy in Springfield, Illinois said: I do not feel sorry for you at all!!! Now the India MT's understand what they did to us in the United States....What goes around comes around!!! India destroyed the job industry for us MT's in the USA!!!!!!!

I somewhat agree with this; however, I think that the greedy/needy transcriptionists in the USA started their own demise by undercutting themselves by gaining their self-worth by how many lines an hour they can do for as cheap as possible. There is a reason why the respect has gone to h_ll in a handbasket and transcriptionists are referred to as sl_t typists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

mtathome in Yorba Linda, California said: "I am soon to start studying to become an MT and am wondering what a seasoned MT makes for an average wage nowadays?"

Seasoned MTs can make anywhere from $25,000 to $50,000+, depending on how they do the work, i.e., working for some large national MT companies pays the least; working for yourself pays well; working for a hospital pays well, etc. There are many different ways to do the work.

You do have to be well trained to make the best money.

Anyone who tells you that you have to be well trained to make the best money is not telling you the whole story. There is more to your ability to make money than just your knowledge. You need to know that the company you work for WILL have control over your connectivity whether you have the BEST and FASTEST ISP and latest and greatest computer equipment and setup. If the company you connect to "bottlenecks" you at the entrance point (because it is cheaper for them to use some half-wit setup), you will only go as fast as they allow you. Wake up and start believing that if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Remember, the company is in business to make money. Their goal is to get it done as cheap as possible in all aspects. I know it is done because I have experienced it, witnessed it, and have been told that it was being done by two different ISPs watching my system. I don't care if you have a PhD and can type 100 wpm, if the company bottlenecks you to a certain speed that is only how fast you are going to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Shyla Beach in Oviedo, Florida said: I am a new stay at home mom who is looking for work from home. I am looking for any information on transcription training or jobs. I am not sure where to start and i am eagar to learn and start working. Any information or advise would be greatly appreciated.

God love ya Shyla Beach of Oviedo, Florida! Because you are a new mom looking to work from home to be with your kids, you are a prime target for the "transcription at home" bull. Think long and hard before you do this, because you WILL be taken for a ride. Make sure you realize that you are NOT going to make big money unless you want to work 12 hours days 7 days a week. AND, your pay will go up and down depending on how the company decides to connect you that day and what they give you to work on. I recommend getting into some other respectable field. Many mothers work away from home, get paid more money (even though they pay childcare) and are much better off financially and emotionally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Kim in Springfield, Missouri said: I'm considering medical transcription coursework and am trying to find out how easy or hard it will be to find a job. Have you found a job, yet?

Good luck Kim in Springfield, Missouri. I recommend consider some other field. Medical transcription coursework actually means absolutely nothing in the real world no matter what they state on paper. I am formally trained and have 17 years experience even only with digital systems, etc. I refuse to work by the line, because I have seen and know how the system can be and is manipulated by speed, etc. It is a very abusive job and most all of the people that I have worked with are very hateful women, and if they aren't hateful at first they soon will be. I have been trying to get out of transcription for many years, because it is dead-end job. No one once to hire you for any other type of job no matter what you have done or what kind of education you have, because they either want to pigeon-hole you into that position or just plain think you are stupid. I will soon graduate from a Big Ten University with a degree in another field, and I am still having a time getting out of transcription because of the stereotyping that accompanies it. I may have a big break by volunteering in the field of my new degree; so, that may be my open door at this point.

Don't be persuaded by the hype. Please invest in yourself and your future and do something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I am not sure how this system got that I am from "Brownstown, Indiana," but that is highly incorrect. I have worked in hospitals in a major metropolitan area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

someone who knows in Brownstown, Indiana said: WHY THE HELL DO YOU WANT TO BECOME A MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST, IF YOU ARE A NURSE? You are in for a rude awakening. The general unspoken consensus is that medical transcriptionists are a bunch if idiot typists who don't know anything but how to type and can't even spell. That's the fact even though the the contrary is true. Be careful, because once you get into this unpleasant field with a bunch of hateful women, you will have a difficult time getting out. People will wonder what was wrong with your nursing skills that you are transcribing. Keep your nursing license up because once you finally are aware of all of this, it will be too late.

I am not sure how this system got that I am from "Brownstown, Indiana," but that is highly incorrect. I have worked in hospitals in a major metropolitan area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

someone who knows in Brownstown, Indiana said: Good luck Kim in Springfield, Missouri. I recommend consider some other field. Medical transcription coursework actually means absolutely nothing in the real world no matter what they state on paper. I am formally trained and have 17 years experience even only with digital systems, etc. I refuse to work by the line, because I have seen and know how the system can be and is manipulated by speed, etc. It is a very abusive job and most all of the people that I have worked with are very hateful women, and if they aren't hateful at first they soon will be. I have been trying to get out of transcription for many years, because it is dead-end job. No one once to hire you for any other type of job no matter what you have done or what kind of education you have, because they either want to pigeon-hole you into that position or just plain think you are stupid. I will soon graduate from a Big Ten University with a degree in another field, and I am still having a time getting out of transcription because of the stereotyping that accompanies it. I may have a big break by volunteering in the field of my new degree; so, that may be my open door at this point.

Don't be persuaded by the hype. Please invest in yourself and your future and do something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

someone who knows in Brownstown, Indiana said: Good luck Kim in Springfield, Missouri. I recommend consider some other field. Medical transcription coursework actually means absolutely nothing in the real world no matter what they state on paper. I am formally trained and have 17 years experience even only with digital systems, etc. I refuse to work by the line, because I have seen and know how the system can be and is manipulated by speed, etc. It is a very abusive job and most all of the people that I have worked with are very hateful women, and if they aren't hateful at first they soon will be. I have been trying to get out of transcription for many years, because it is dead-end job. No one once to hire you for any other type of job no matter what you have done or what kind of education you have, because they either want to pigeon-hole you into that position or just plain think you are stupid. I will soon graduate from a Big Ten University with a degree in another field, and I am still having a time getting out of transcription because of the stereotyping that accompanies it. I may have a big break by volunteering in the field of my new degree; so, that may be my open door at this point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

someone who knows in Brownstown, Indiana said: God love ya Shyla Beach of Oviedo, Florida! Because you are a new mom looking to work from home to be with your kids, you are a prime target for the "transcription at home" bull. Think long and hard before you do this, because you WILL be taken for a ride. Make sure you realize that you are NOT going to make big money unless you want to work 12 hours days 7 days a week. AND, your pay will go up and down depending on how the company decides to connect you that day and what they give you to work on. I recommend getting into some other respectable field. Many mothers work away from home, get paid more money (even though they pay childcare) and are much better off financially and emotionally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

someone who knows in Brownstown, Indiana said: Anyone who tells you that you have to be well trained to make the best money is not telling you the whole story. There is more to your ability to make money than just your knowledge. You need to know that the company you work for WILL have control over your connectivity whether you have the BEST and FASTEST ISP and latest and greatest computer equipment and setup. If the company you connect to "bottlenecks" you at the entrance point (because it is cheaper for them to use some half-wit setup), you will only go as fast as they allow you. Wake up and start believing that if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Remember, the company is in business to make money. Their goal is to get it done as cheap as possible in all aspects. I know it is done because I have experienced it, witnessed it, and have been told that it was being done by two different ISPs watching my system. I don't care if you have a PhD and can type 100 wpm, if the company bottlenecks you to a certain speed that is only how fast you are going to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

someone who knows in Brownstown, Indiana said: I respect your effort, but reality is that a GPA of 3.85 in medical transcription means nothing in the real world, because in reality the transcriptionist's knowledge is not respected or acknowledged. I recommend searching for some other type of work, while you are still not involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sandinmytoes in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

^^^HOW MANY TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO TYPE THAT? IS IT REALLY NECESSARY FOR YOU TO KEEP REPEATING YOURSELF? FRANKLY WHO GIVES A RAT'S BEHIND???

^^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

WOW in Jackson, Michigan

73 months ago

WOW, There really are some hateful and angry people here.

Someone who knows. Did you work WITH women? Because if you did that would be why you appear so psychotic here.

What about working from home? 17 years?

Why were you so rotten to the nurse? Do you know what it is like to be a nurse? Talk about working with hateful women.

Your "reputation" from being an MT wouldn't be what is keeping you out of the work force it is your psychotic behavior.

I just stumbled across this site to investigate business opportunities in MT. You have totally polluted this site with your anonymous psychotic behavior.

Unfortunately since you are the only one carrying on about this field this way I wonder if it is a personal problem for you and not typical of the the MT prospect.

If you want to get a message across about the field you should try not coming across like a lunatic. I get the feeling that these hateful women around you didn't care for your psychotic behavior so you came here to try to abuse people.

I would really like to know what your rational is about hating this field so much but I'm afraid you have no "rational" in you. You aren't getting any message across about the field here, the only message is that you are nuts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No Reply - Report abuse

TJill in New York, New York

73 months ago

someone who knows in Brownstown, Indiana said: You need to know that the company you work for WILL have control over your connectivity whether you have the BEST and FASTEST ISP and latest and greatest computer equipment and setup. If the company you connect to "bottlenecks" you at the entrance point (because it is cheaper for them to use some half-wit setup), you will only go as fast as they allow you.

This is interesting. Can you tell us which companies do this?

Instead of typing everything directly into the system, could you get around it by typing as fast as you can and saving on your hard drive and then pouring the text into the conduit to their system? That way you can type as fast as you want on your own computer and only after you are done typing does the content get filtered into their system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rene in Leesburg, Florida

73 months ago

I am finishing up MT at pennfoster career school and should be done by the end of the month. I have been looking for jobs as a MT on mtjob.com and it seems like you have to have a year of experence or more to even get a job anywhere. How do I get a job at home? Do I need to work at the company first and then work at home? And how do I go about getting a job with only school behind me? Thank You and please no negative talk:) Thank You, Rene

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

pdsmith2002 in Woodridge, Illinois

72 months ago

Many companies will only hire transcriptionists with experience. Schooling is one thing - actual work is another. Especially withthe "online classes" the employers - especially the work at home ones will want to see that not only can you transcribe, but they will also want references showing that you do your work and on time. They want to make sure that theis is your career and not a hobby.

There is a lot of banter and bashing out here - but I do know with this being the digital age, MT jobs are not what they used to be. Why hire somone totype when the technology is headed in the direction of voice recognition?

Tonya in Burnsville, Minnesota

72 months ago

I am a single mother of 3 and interested in starting a MT course soon. After reading the comments, I'm wondering if it is going to be a good 2nd job, or just a big waste of time.. seriously. $1000 for an online course is not chump change for me, is it worth it??? Thanks alot for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TJill in New York, New York

72 months ago

That really stinks! You should cross-post these stories to as many MT messageboards as you can!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mardiboo in Biloxi, Mississippi

72 months ago

The clinic that I work for wants to go to line counts instead of page count or characters.

My question is:

If I type 1,000 characters @ 65 per line (including spaces and expanders), how many characters is this? I dont know why this has me so stumped. Probably just exhaustion.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RK in Hyderabad, India

72 months ago

for 1000 characters its gonna be 15.38 lesser than 50, so it becomes 15 lines for your 1000 characters

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Wayland, Michigan

71 months ago

Is there anyone that can tell me how to find a MT job. I have been looking for a long time and haven't been able to find anything yet. I recent completed a MT course and really need a job asap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Connie M in Ionia, Michigan

71 months ago

Rene in Leesburg, Florida said: I am finishing up MT at pennfoster career school and should be done by the end of the month. I have been looking for jobs as a MT on mtjob.com and it seems like you have to have a year of experence or more to even get a job anywhere. How do I get a job at home? Do I need to work at the company first and then work at home? And how do I go about getting a job with only school behind me? Thank You and please no negative talk:) Thank You, Rene

If you find out how to get a job let me know because I just finished an MT course and can't seem to find anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

madaline in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

I don't thing experience has anything to do with being a MT. It is the school you get your training from. M-Tech, Andrews, and Career Step are the schools that companies will hire from, with no other experience needed. These schools will waive the 2 years needed. A lot of these companies will hire as soon as you graduate--some do not even require you to test for them--as long as you come from one of these schools. Those of you who went to Penn Foster, you wasted you time and money. This school is not going to get you a MT job. I am a graduate from CS and received a job offer four days after graduating. It is possible. Good luck to you all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

madaline in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

madaline in Cleveland, Ohio said: I don't thing experience has anything to do with being a MT. It is the school you get your training from. M-Tech, Andrews, and Career Step are the schools that companies will hire from, with no other experience needed. These schools will waive the 2 years needed. A lot of these companies will hire as soon as you graduate--some do not even require you to test for them--as long as you come from one of these schools. Those of you who went to Penn Foster, you wasted you time and money. This school is not going to get you a MT job. I am a graduate from CS and received a job offer four days after graduating. It is possible. Good luck to you all!

Sorry for the incorrect spelling **think**

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ranjeet Sharma in Tokyo, Japan

70 months ago

mtathome in Yorba Linda, California said: Personally, I would be furious if someone, from any country, undercut me and took my job. I'm careful not to offer my services at such a low rate that it undercuts other American MTs; that's what brings pay down for everyone.

Again, it's the companies that offshore that should take the blame, but emotionally it's very difficult to watch people from India looking to transcribe for doctors from Ohio, Michigan, New York...our cities, our doctors, our American patients.

Well I think more than 25% of American doctors are belongs to India. :) Check it..

It isn't that there aren't any doctors in India that need their reports transcribed....there are many, many doctors, hospitals, and clinics in India

There are lots of doctors in India but there is no concept of medical records here.. I think this concept is only in US..

Well ones again I don't know ABC of MT Jobs but just visiting this site and I saw ur post so replying to u.. :)

The truth about MT in Bel Air, Maryland

70 months ago

I'm an MT. I've been one for several years. Here are a few facts. MT is one of the lowest paid professions (yes, it is a profession, not simply a job) out there. Literally, the average pay is only a few dollars above minimum wage. If you work for a company, realize that they are all about making money. You will have a line count you have to maintain. There is an excellent chance you will be required to work at least some of your shift on weekends. You will have to work at least several major holidays a year. If you work part time, you probably will get no benefits. Even if you work full time, if your line count drops for any reason (including low workload available) you will lose your benefits for that period of time. It is not unusual for major companies to pay somewhere between $0.08 to $0.09 a line. In fact, MT is one of the few professions where the average pay per line has decreased over the past 10 years! It used to be $0.12 or $0.13 per line. As far as voice editing goes, you will be compensated even less, somewhere in the range of $0.04 per line. MT is a production pay career. You are not paid hourly. Any time you are not typing, you are not making money. That includes researching correct terminology, deciphering foreign accents or (even worse) extremely poor grammar from American doctors, or even taking a bathroom break. Yes, there are people who make money at this, but there are a lot who only make 20,000 to 25,000 a year full time, and I guarantee you that they probably do quite a bit of overtime to reach that. For a profession that routinely requires 98% accuracy and above and an in-depth knowledge of medical science, that pay scale is a slap in the face. It is also pretty much a dead-end job with no advancement opportunities. If the children are small and you really need to stay at home and work, do it for a short time, but also explore other options for when they go to school. This is a profession burns lots of people out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

enimary in Goffstown, New Hampshire

70 months ago

I agree 100%. When I retired, I worked with a friend out of her home office. I have a B.S. degree in Medical Technology, so I thought this is good getting back into the medical field after working in the airline industry for 23-years. I could not believe the laziness of the American doctors who wouldn't speak clearly. I just about mastered the foreign doctors as it was a matter of understanding the accent after a while. I let it go, because I seemingly was working a lot harder than I had done with the airlines for too little money and long, long hours. I would never suggest anyone do MT unless you have done it in the past and you are the business owner. I do believe most doctors are, however, going with the hospital department of MT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Trish in Towson, Maryland

68 months ago

I found your INDEED comments very interesting, especially since I am from the Towson area. I graduated Career Step a few months ago and I am OK with not making much until I get some experience, but I'm having a hard time finding someone who is willing to hire part time newbies. Comments?

enimary in Manchester, New Hampshire

68 months ago

Trish in Towson, Maryland said: I found your INDEED comments very interesting, especially since I am from the Towson area. I graduated Career Step a few months ago and I am OK with not making much until I get some experience, but I'm having a hard time finding someone who is willing to hire part time newbies. Comments?

Sorry I really don't have any insight to that. I totally gave it up. You may want to call your local hospitals to see what their hiring practices are. When I discontinued, the local hospitals would hire you fulltime/partime. You would be given a code to dial into the center and you would take whatever was in the que. I absolutely loved I was able to get back into the medical field, but I just found that I was working 3X harder than I had with my airline job. $22/hour versus 7 cents a word and possibly taking a hour or more to get one case done just wasn't worth the time it took. Understanding the doctors was the key to getting things done in a timely manner AND as I mentioned before caused too many headaches because of accents etc.

Now I work from home with my own business. Good luck to you as I hope you find something soon.

Mary
workathomelivewell.com

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.