how to obtain experience?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 78)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

cj in Byron, IL

95 months ago

I want to become a medical transcriptionist, but most of the want ads I see require 1-2 years experience. Where do I get experience if no one is hiring a recent graduate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara B in Smithfield, Rhode Island

90 months ago

I'm in the very same position...can't get experience....hang in there, it will happen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Lincoln, Nebraska

82 months ago

I'm in the same situation, new graduate having a hard time finding at-home work. It seems all the ads are for full-time in-office or they want experience. AHDI recommends joining them and going to local meetings/conferences and meeting people or asking instructors at your school for ideas. I'll try this and see how it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mtathome in Yorba Linda, California

82 months ago

It depends on which MT school you attended. MT companies overlook the experience requirement for grads of Andrews, M-Tec, and Career Step.

If you graduate from a school the companies aren't familiar with, you'll have a harder time finding a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tamala in Colorado Springs, Colorado

80 months ago

What are some of the recruitment agencies? I am getting ready to graduate and need some great advice on how to get out there..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Lincoln, Nebraska

80 months ago

Your school should tell you which companies tend to hire their graduates. Apparently it's true that unless you went to M-tec, Andrews, or Career Step, it's not that easy to start working at home right away. You may need to start in-office or with a mentoring program. People also say you should test with every company that will let you. Before I was hired, I did some research. I'm including the results here:
Some companies that hire new grads-some of them require you to take their test:
www.nemtinc.com/careers.htm NEMT-New England Medical Transcription
www.accustat-mts.com/careers.asp Accustat, Inc.- has mentoring program that pays 4 cpl for new grads
www.medquist.com/ Medquist
www.spheris.com/home.aspx?flash=true Spheris
jobs@qtranscriptions.om Quality Transcription Solutions, LLC (QTS)
www.medwaremt.com/applyonline.html

Mentoring Programs
www.allstatetranscription.com/ AIM Mentoring Program through Allstate Transcription-there is a $100 fee, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about this program.
www.meditec.com/meditec-jumpstart-program.html Meditec’s Jumpstart Program-there is a $400 fee, but I’ve also heard great things about this program.

The following have links to tests on their websites. I don’t know how hard they are, but I’ve been told to make sure you have good references before you start.
www.amphion.mttest.com/
www.transrs.com/careers/default.asp
www.medivoxx.com/
www.md-it.com/

Good resources
forum.mtstars.com/newmts/
www.mtchat.com/frame.php?frame=message

Best of luck to everyone. My heart goes out to all of you who are looking for that first job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tamala in Colorado Springs, Colorado

80 months ago

That is awsome!! Thank you soooo much for the leads on how to

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Lincoln, Nebraska

80 months ago

I am a new MT and am having a dificult time finding employment in the MT field due to lack of experience as well. Any leads on where I can go to get some experience to get started? I have been contacted by Transam a company out of Florida, but am very leary of their report fromt he BBB. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Lincoln, Nebraska

80 months ago

Transam is a scam. Don't do anything for them. Have you asked you school for help? Put your resume on Monster.com or Careerbuilder.com, and try
www.mtjobs.com/
forum.mtstars.com/seeker/
Also, have you googled medical transcription/Lincoln or Omaha to find companies in the area or contacted local hospitals or clinics? Starting in-house may be your best chance. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Lincoln, Nebraska

80 months ago

Thanks for the leads. Melissa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

christie in Lincoln, Nebraska

80 months ago

i found the website you were talking about
i have wrote a couple of the sites down and will check them out this week hopefully we can find something that is legit

thanks to all for the helpful hints

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Lincoln, Nebraska

80 months ago

Rami in Dubai, United Arab Emirates said: I have registered my resume online to almost 6 recruitment agencies. Waiting fo the best. All the best for others like me too

Can I ask which recruitment agencies you are listing with? Thanks Melissa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katherine R. in Canton, Georgia

79 months ago

I am in the same position. I cannot find any place that doesn't take experienced. I cannot drive so I am looking to work from home. I feel very discouraged because it seems like you have to have experience. I dont know what else to do. I just graduated and am ready to start. I just dont know how.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Woody Cock in Tiffin, Ohio

78 months ago

christie in Lincoln, Nebraska said: i found the website you were talking about
i have wrote a couple of the sites down and will check them out this week hopefully we can find something that is legit

thanks to all for the helpful hints

Maybe you should work on your verb tenses while your at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sueann in Jackson, Nebraska

77 months ago

Maybe Woody should also learn some manners as well as some better grammar.
Your shows possession, and your second 'your' should have been spelled you're, "...while you're at it."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Birmingham, Alabama

74 months ago

Has anyone heard anything positive or negative about Ashworth Career School's medical transcription program out of Georgia? I am a stay at home mom, looking into the medical transcription programs-but it seems that there are so many scams. So, I was just wondering if anyone knows for sure that this training school is legit.
Thanks for any input!
-Heather

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ColleenCollect in Boston, Massachusetts

74 months ago

heather, do u have a community college in your area. most offer a medical transcription certificate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Birmingham, Alabama

74 months ago

ColleenCollect in Boston, Massachusetts said: heather, do u have a community college in your area. most offer a medical transcription certificate.

Yes, we have tons of community colleges, but none offer the certificate online. I checked into as many as I could in our own state, before searching the internet for online schools elsewhere. I can only take the classes online, so that narrows my search. Anyway, thanks for your reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Cleveland, Tennessee

72 months ago

Heather in Birmingham, Alabama said: Has anyone heard anything positive or negative about Ashworth Career School's medical transcription program out of Georgia? I am a stay at home mom, looking into the medical transcription programs-but it seems that there are so many scams. So, I was just wondering if anyone knows for sure that this training school is legit.
Thanks for any input!
-Heather

I attended Ashworth when it was previously called PCDI. I just graduated in April from there. I thought it was a great school. My friend's mom graduated from there about 8 years ago and has been working for a company called MedQuist. I am still looking for a home-based position. Whatever you do, do not work for Transam Associates, IT IS A SCAM. I fell for it and you never stop training no matter how good you are, you cannot pass their test. I have yet to find 1 person who has and been paid by them. Well hope this helps and if anyone out there hires newbies, I am a hard worker and willing to learn- (personal contact information removed)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cmanley2@nc.rr.com in Raleigh, North Carolina

72 months ago

I have read and heard a lot about MedQuist. Can anyone tell me if they have tried the on-line course and if so were they successful in finding a job right away? I don't have the money to waste and can't wait long to get a job.

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Kansas City

72 months ago

I just took the exam for Medquist. I will let you know how I did. They have you do a multiple choice exam on medical terms, sentence structure and misspelled words. Then you transcribe 4 reports. They will only let you test in one area (acute care, radiology and I can't remember the other 2). The transcription was from actual doctors, because they bleepped out the names and hospitals. It is really tough finding a job. I have 17 years experience as a medical secretary and did transcription in the early 90s for 2 years. I went to Techskills and they only offered one place that was hiring. I know there was 12 of us in the program when I started and so far only one person has been hired by them (Focus Infomatics). Also, if you have a full-time job currently, most of the companies do not want to wait for you to give 2 weeks notice. Anyone else noticed this? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cat C in West Haven, Connecticut

70 months ago

Oh my gosh! Everyone is making me nervous. I'm almost ready to graduate from Penn Foster. I noticed too that most of the jobs want experience. Hope things will be ok for us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in RIdgecrest, CA in Carbondale, Illinois

70 months ago

I went to Careerstep and just graduated with honors, I applied to Medquist, didn't get accepted. I also saw transam was hiring and applied for them, but since it is a scam..... guess I have to keep looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patty Scott in Hueytown, Alabama

70 months ago

Heather in Birmingham, Alabama said: Has anyone heard anything positive or negative about Ashworth Career School's medical transcription program out of Georgia? I am a stay at home mom, looking into the medical transcription programs-but it seems that there are so many scams. So, I was just wondering if anyone knows for sure that this training school is legit.
Thanks for any input!
-Heather

Heather,
I am from the Birmingham area (actually Hueytown) and I went to everette community college. They were wonderful. As long as you keep in contact with them about the process through e-mail. it is a breeze. I just finished and am in the process of job hunting. Wish me luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AllisonJ in Funk, Nebraska

70 months ago

For those who happen to be still searching about how to get their foot in the door, AHDISA presented a webinar not that long ago about this very topic. It's called "Getting Your Foot In The Door: 2 Years Expericence NOT Required" .. It is in the list of available past webinars recordings & powerpoints avaiable to purchase from AHDI. Please flip through the following link to find any of them that interest you because all of the presentations that we put on are more than worth listening to. We have fantastic presenters with valuable information just waiting for you to gain some of the information you have been searching for.

www.webstream.us/cart/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=1

My personal Blog link is: nebraskanmt.blogspot.com in case anyone would be interested in looking at that also!

^_^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cat C in West Haven, Connecticut

70 months ago

Hi Heather in Birmingham. If Ashworth has a web site, you can see if they are regionally accredited and/or nationally accredited with the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). Although, National Accreditation is better. You can also give them a call to ask that question. I am going through Penn Foster, and they mention it on their home page at the bottom in small print. You can also check the better business bureau (BBC) web site to see if the school is in good standing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cat C in West Haven, Connecticut

70 months ago

AllisonJ in Funk, Nebraska said: For those who happen to be still searching about how to get their foot in the door, AHDISA presented a webinar not that long ago about this very topic. It's called "Getting Your Foot In The Door: 2 Years Expericence NOT Required" .. It is in the list of available past webinars recordings & powerpoints avaiable to purchase from AHDI. Please flip through the following link to find any of them that interest you because all of the presentations that we put on are more than worth listening to. We have fantastic presenters with valuable information just waiting for you to gain some of the information you have been searching for.

www.webstream.us/cart/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=1

My personal Blog link is: nebraskanmt.blogspot.com in case anyone would be interested in looking at that also!

^_^

Thank you for the information. There are lots of great downloads that you can buy on that web site; however, I can not find the one that you are referring to "Getting your foot in the door".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AllisonJ in Funk, Nebraska

70 months ago

Cat C in West Haven, Connecticut said: Thank you for the information. There are lots of great downloads that you can buy on that web site; however, I can not find the one that you are referring to "Getting your foot in the door".

Cat C,

I apologize; I realized after posting the specific name that no matter how hard I looked I couldn't find it there either :(

But in knowing this information is not available there, I will just have to get the presenter to do a repeat performance so that way it will be there. Consider it on my to-do-list of emails for the remainder of this week!

But don't forget there are plenty of current webinars through AHDI that are available every month. I actually have one set up for December about Resume's and will be advertising that one through AHDI, AHDISA, my school, other AHDI Approved schools as well as on my blog: nebraskanmt.blogspot.com as soon as we wrap up the details for the event.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cat C in West Haven, Connecticut

70 months ago

AllisonJ in Funk, Nebraska said: Cat C,

I apologize; I realized after posting the specific name that no matter how hard I looked I couldn't find it there either :(

But in knowing this information is not available there, I will just have to get the presenter to do a repeat performance so that way it will be there. Consider it on my to-do-list of emails for the remainder of this week!

But don't forget there are plenty of current webinars through AHDI that are available every month. I actually have one set up for December about Resume's and will be advertising that one through AHDI, AHDISA, my school, other AHDI Approved schools as well as on my blog: nebraskanmt.blogspot.com as soon as we wrap up the details for the event.

Hi I did eventually find the item. I did a search for the title on their web site. Do you have to be a member to attend the webinars?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AllisonJ in Funk, Nebraska

70 months ago

Cat C,

You don't have to be a member, but being a member does have it's benefits. Non-members pay a little more for the Webinars that have a fee, if you were a member you would receive a slight discount on them as well as discounts through the vendors associated with AHDI. I'm a student member right now and I've probably saved as much as I've paid in for my 2nd year memebership dues as well as all the webinars I've either attended or set-up to attend, plus a couple e-books and the BOS 3rd Ed.

It's worth thinking about anyways. But I'm still going to find the presenter and have her come back at least once next year if not twice because that was a very good Webinar with LOADS of useful information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cat C in West Haven, Connecticut

70 months ago

AllisonJ in Funk, Nebraska said: Cat C,

You don't have to be a member, but being a member does have it's benefits. Non-members pay a little more for the Webinars that have a fee, if you were a member you would receive a slight discount on them as well as discounts through the vendors associated with AHDI. I'm a student member right now and I've probably saved as much as I've paid in for my 2nd year memebership dues as well as all the webinars I've either attended or set-up to attend, plus a couple e-books and the BOS 3rd Ed.

It's worth thinking about anyways. But I'm still going to find the presenter and have her come back at least once next year if not twice because that was a very good Webinar with LOADS of useful information.

Thank you for the information. You are very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AllisonJ in Funk, Nebraska

70 months ago

Cat C,

You're very welcome ^_^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bev in Saint Louis, Missouri

69 months ago

cj in Byron, IL said: I want to become a medical transcriptionist, but most of the want ads I see require 1-2 years experience. Where do I get experience if no one is hiring a recent graduate?

What I did WHILE I attended school was look in the Yellow Pages in my area and called small, local business owners. After about the fifth call, a small business owner allowed me to come to her home and type reports. She was patient, kind, and help me to grown. Now, 14 years later, we are still friends. Don't be afraid to ask for help from locals in your area. You just might find your "Angel" willing to help, simply because we all have been down the road of trying to get there:) Also, I went to Forest Park Community College and got a degree in transcription. We interned here at St. Mary's Hospital in Clayton. For anyone here in St. Louis, I highly recommend Forest Park College.

I now work for Barnes/Jewish Hospital and am an independent contractor. Don't be afraid to also go to clinics, private practices, etc. I really recommend hospital transcription, though.

Good Luck:)

Bev

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in New Haven, Connecticut

69 months ago

Does anybody know of any good internship programs so I can get some hands-on experience? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

momof0730 in Atco, New Jersey

69 months ago

Cat C in West Haven, Connecticut said: Oh my gosh! Everyone is making me nervous. I'm almost ready to graduate from Penn Foster. I noticed too that most of the jobs want experience. Hope things will be ok for us.

Hi. I finally found someone else who is going through Penn Foster. Did you graduate yet? Have you found a job? I will finish up school in Feb and after reading everyone's posting, I am starting to get a little nervous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

catcorso in Meriden, Connecticut

69 months ago

momof0730 in Atco, New Jersey said: Hi. I finally found someone else who is going through Penn Foster. Did you graduate yet? Have you found a job? I will finish up school in Feb and after reading everyone's posting, I am starting to get a little nervous.

Hi. I didn't finish school yet; I plan to be done in a couple of weeks. I'm putting the finishing touches on my last research paper and then will complete my final exam in the MT class. I can relate to your posting. I looked around on various web sites, and mostly all of the jobs require two or more years of experience. The only advice I can give is to keep on trying and believe in yourself. Don't give up. Something will come along. What class are you in now? Let me know how school is going. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

catcorso in Meriden, Connecticut

69 months ago

Lorraine McGuire in Bowling Green, Kentucky said: You can go to www.inscribe.us and look at our company. If you can pass the test...you might have a chance. We have our own online universtiy....mainly because we aren't seeing people with the training necessary to be a transcriptionist. Good Luck..Lorraine

Lorraine. Thank you for the information. I am waiting till I graduate before I apply for a job. My goal is to have my last class completed in a couple of weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cmanley2@nc.rr.com in Raleigh, North Carolina

69 months ago

catcorso in Meriden, Connecticut said: Hi. I didn't finish school yet; I plan to be done in a couple of weeks. I'm putting the finishing touches on my last research paper and then will complete my final exam in the MT class. I can relate to your posting. I looked around on various web sites, and mostly all of the jobs require two or more years of experience. The only advice I can give is to keep on trying and believe in yourself. Don't give up. Something will come along. What class are you in now? Let me know how school is going. Take care.

Let me know how you do. Good luck to you. I am in Pharmacology now. My husband is from Coventry, CT. near UCONN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rednekin2008 in Glen Saint Mary, Florida

68 months ago

Melissa in Kansas City said: I just took the exam for Medquist. I will let you know how I did. They have you do a multiple choice exam on medical terms, sentence structure and misspelled words. Then you transcribe 4 reports. They will only let you test in one area (acute care, radiology and I can't remember the other 2). The transcription was from actual doctors, because they bleepped out the names and hospitals. It is really tough finding a job. I have 17 years experience as a medical secretary and did transcription in the early 90s for 2 years. I went to Techskills and they only offered one place that was hiring. I know there was 12 of us in the program when I started and so far only one person has been hired by them (Focus Infomatics). Also, if you have a full-time job currently, most of the companies do not want to wait for you to give 2 weeks notice. Anyone else noticed this? Thanks

I have heard to stay away from "Focus Infomatics"... as well as Spheris. I don't know why...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cmanley2@nc.rr.com in Raleigh, North Carolina

67 months ago

Yes let me know how it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TC in Hartville, Missouri

65 months ago

If anyone is looking for an online school for Medical Transcription, Kaplan University is a great school.

Before I can graduate I have to do externship with Medical Transcription. Does anyone know of any at-home sites that may offer this? Help would be great.

TC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michiganlooking in Kalamazoo, Michigan

65 months ago

Has anyone heard of At Home Professions? Based out of Colorado.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Everly, Iowa

65 months ago

This has not been my experience. I have 3 years of experience, but only in multi-specialty clinic and PT/OT Rehab clinic and I am a Career Step graduate as of 12/2006. I have not had any luck stating I graduated from this school. When they find I have no acute care experience I am not offered a position.

Lori

mtathome in Yorba Linda, California said: It depends on which MT school you attended. MT companies overlook the experience requirement for grads of Andrews, M-Tec, and Career Step.

If you graduate from a school the companies aren't familiar with, you'll have a harder time finding a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Martha Irwin in Erie, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

I have taken the course from At-Home Professions. It is a very good, accredited course. It is designed so that you can work through the course at your own pace. The material is very well put together and the support from the school is great. I graduated in Februrary '09 and unfortunately, the "newbie" status is still with me as I continue my search for employment.
Marty - Erie, PA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sara Haley in Omaha, Nebraska

64 months ago

Check out the book at store.payloadz.com/go?id=245386 <--it's the Ultimate Transcription Job book and it has over 450 companies, all checked with BBB and lists all their requirements--quite a few of them take newbies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorlyn in Cherokee, Iowa

64 months ago

Thanks Sara - I will check into that. Are you working for an online company or at one of the hospitals or clinics in Omaha?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorlyn in Cherokee, Iowa

64 months ago

Martha,

I already have training in the MT field - I took my education through Everett Community College with their online Career Step program and graduated in 12/2006. I am not a "newbie" technically since I have been working for 3 years now in this field in clinic work, but I am new to acute care accounts and am looking to gain experience or be allowed to work for a company where I can work into that area. I wish you well in your search for employment and hope that you will find what you are looking for.
Thanks!
Lorlyn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cmanley2@nc.rr.com

64 months ago

I am concerned that we are spending a large amount of time and money on the CareerStep course and we are not finding jobs. There are many students saying the same thing.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Charlotte

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Natalie in Greer, South Carolina

63 months ago

I, too, am concerned that I have invested a large amount of time and money into Career Step to find that the job opportunities are only for the experienced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Natalie in Greer, South Carolina

63 months ago

Yes, I would be interested in reading this information book. I welcome any help for obtaining a position as a medical transcriptionist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.