Internships/apprentice programs?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 100)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Aja G in San Antonio, Texas

75 months ago

I am also looking for a paid internship for medical transcriptionist. I'm just about finishined with my program and having trouble finding a healthcare facility that will take me in for training in San Antonio or surrounding areas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

baijusve in Mississauga, Ontario

73 months ago

I am looking for an internship paid or unpaid for more practice.

Baiju

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spareti08@hotmail.com in Houston, Texas

65 months ago

Ashley in Modesto, California said: I recently graduated from a medical transcription program and I am having a really hard time finding work. Does anyone know of any companies that do some sort of internship paid or not?

Have you found work? I am recently completed a course, cant find anyone willing to hire a newbie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

karen in Port Orange, Florida

63 months ago

I'm also a recent graduate from Allied Business School as a Medical Transcriptionist. Currently looking for employment or some kind of internship. I'm eager to start. I live in Port Orange, FL and right now a lot of places are not hiring, like hospitals and such, rather laying people off. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsay in Danville, Kentucky

62 months ago

Hi,
I am looking to transcribe some medical records(real or not) for practice. I am studying to be a Medical Transcripionist, I'm nearly done with my course, and I wanted to start early with practicing my skill.
Thanks!
Lindsay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Baiju in Mississauga, Ontario

62 months ago

Hi
Great to know that you are going to complete the course. After you complete your course you can contact any doctors clinic, if they are having the trancription facility then you can practice there.
Regards
Baiju

Melissa in Indianapolis, Indiana

61 months ago

Hey all! I graduated from Career STep in July with the promise that they would help me find a job---no such luck!!!!! I am REALLY frustrated and things are getting pretty bad financially around here! Anyone have any info. on paid internships?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

kimberlyjohnson in Denver, Colorado

61 months ago

karen in Port Orange, Florida said: I'm also a recent graduate from Allied Business School as a Medical Transcriptionist. Currently looking for employment or some kind of internship. I'm eager to start. I live in Port Orange, FL and right now a lot of places are not hiring, like hospitals and such, rather laying people off. Any suggestions?

Hi there. I'm about to finish Allied's program in medical transcription. Just curious how things are going for you? Have you found a job yet? Have you taken the exam to get yourself registered, and if so, how did it go? I'm really liking the program so far. Do you know if, while you were attending Allied, were they an AHDI approved program (I know they are now). Did you happen to sign up and pay for them to give you lifetime assistance for resume, job search, ect.? (Sorry for all the question's, I haven't been able to find anyone else that has gone through Allied). Hope things are going well for you. Also, here is a great information page from AHDI for anyone reading this!www.ahdionline.org/TipSheetforBecomingaSelfemployedMT/tabid/359/Default.aspx

Thanks Kim Johnson

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindi in Bemidji, Minnesota

60 months ago

cindy in Kingston, Jamaica said: I recently graduate from Penn Foster where i major in Medical Transcriptionist program and i am looking forward to do internship, or someone to Mentor me if it paid or not.Thank you

same here! I am almost done with the medical transcription program through Penn Foster, and seeking employment in this field, however, every place I have applied to is looking for someone with at least a year of experience. My question is, How do you get experience, unless someone gives you the opportunity?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maple Grandma in Burlington, Vermont

58 months ago

karen in Port Orange, Florida said: I'm also a recent graduate from Allied Business School as a Medical Transcriptionist. Currently looking for employment or some kind of internship. I'm eager to start. I live in Port Orange, FL and right now a lot of places are not hiring, like hospitals and such, rather laying people off. Any suggestions?

I am also a graduate of Allied Medical School. How are you doing with them helping you find work?

I am frustrated and discouraged for several reasons.

Allied recommended AIM/Dawn Houck for an internship program.
After applying, testing, and paying a fee, and told I'd be put on a waiting list,
AIM/Dawn Houck refuses to answer my e-mail queries about when I actually start.

My ed. advisor and her super. at Allied know of this situation.

I find it dangerous to "surf" for a job, having already been burned $$$$$.

Hope you have a better experience finding an internship/job.

Blessings,

Maple Grandma
for a really long time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

karen in Port Orange, Florida

58 months ago

Yeah I still haven't found any work and it's been awhile. They're sending me sights and such but no bites. It's more than frustrating for sure, and you're right about searching for jobs on your own because I've tried to do that same exact thing and all I get are scams. I work in a hospital doing pharmacy tech and even having my foot in the door it's hard. Nobody is hiring at all. Good luck to you as well and I hope you find something soon. I personally wouldn't recommend Allied to anyone.

Doreen McNary in Ventura, California

58 months ago

Maple Grandma in Burlington, Vermont said: I am also a graduate of Allied Medical School. How are you doing with them helping you find work?

I am frustrated and discouraged for several reasons.

Allied recommended AIM/Dawn Houck for an internship program.
After applying, testing, and paying a fee, and told I'd be put on a waiting list,
AIM/Dawn Houck refuses to answer my e-mail queries about when I actually start.

My ed. advisor and her super. at Allied know of this situation.

I find it dangerous to "surf" for a job, having already been burned $$$$$.

Hope you have a better experience finding an internship/job.

Blessings,

Maple Grandma
for a really long time

I live in California. I started work for Dawn Houck in November, and I was promised 9 cents per line and that I would be paid after the first month of work. It is now February, and I STILL have not received one penny for all of the work I have done. I decided to pull the plug and refuse to do any more work. I should have investigated more thoroughly before I started working for her. I do not know if she ever intends to pay me--I am still waiting. We should report her to the Better Business Bureau, at the very least, if things do not get resolved to our satisfaction.

A Friend in California

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

JustWonderin' in Martin, Tennessee

58 months ago

DID YOU EVER GET PAID????

Doreen McNary in Ventura, California said: I live in California. I started work for Dawn Houck in November, and I was promised 9 cents per line and that I would be paid after the first month of work. It is now February, and I STILL have not received one penny for all of the work I have done. I decided to pull the plug and refuse to do any more work. I should have investigated more thoroughly before I started working for her. I do not know if she ever intends to pay me--I am still waiting. We should report her to the Better Business Bureau, at the very least, if things do not get resolved to our satisfaction.

A Friend in California

cuveliercm in Salt Lake City, Utah

58 months ago

Has anyone heard of Med Workshops??

58 months ago

Has anyone had a good or bad experience with this company? It sounds like a dream come true if money is not an issue.

58 months ago

I applied, tested, and paid $99.00 in early October 2009 an MT internship with AIM/Dawn Houck.
I am still waiting.

She first promised it would start end of Dec. 2009.

I have not been able to get her response to the situation.
She finally apologetically responded, Feb. 2010 and said
there were 4 other people ahead of me and
the internship would start in March 2010, if not before.

After reading your message, I am once again feeling like I too should
"pull the plug."

I feel an internship is hard to find and crucial in this profession.

Look forward to your comments.
Thanks for your response.

from Vermont,
Diane Mortier

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Spokane, Washington

57 months ago

cuveliercm in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Has anyone had a good or bad experience with this company? It sounds like a dream come true if money is not an issue.

Hi - I'm an at-home transcriptionist with over 35 years of experience. Several years ago I set up an informational web site to help potential students wade through the "hype" on the Internet about this career. One of my most frequent questions is about mentoring/internship programs. Because of that I have looked into a lot of them. I ran across this forum while looking to update information on my web site about programs.

Although I don't have personal knowledge of Med Workhops or even know of anyone who has gone through their program, when I did a review of their program for some other students, I concluded that it does sound like something worth looking into. I have not found any bad things about them. I looked them up on the Better Business Bureau and they have 2 complaints in 3 years (that were resolved) with an A+ rating. That's pretty good.

Just my 2 cents. Dee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sandra-53 in West Warwick, Rhode Island

57 months ago

Maple Grandma in Burlington, Vermont said: I have finally got a response from AIM/Dawn Houck.
There are people ahead of me. The MT internship with AIM
should start in March if not before.

I have come to realize the American MTs are struggling
to survive the tidal wave of off-shore competition.

I am hoping that this delay is because of the current
struggle for American companies (especially small ones)
to survive.

Maple Grandma

I also have applied and tested for Dawn/Aim program but i have not paid the enrollment fee but she did tell me in her email that there is an internship starting up in March. The only I have not paid the enrollment fee is because I am on fixed income. I also went to Allied Medical School to learn the medical transcription. Vocational Rehab paid for my course.

57 months ago

Dee in Spokane, Washington said: Hi - I'm an at-home transcriptionist with over 35 years of experience. Several years ago I set up an informational web site to help potential students wade through the "hype" on the Internet about this career. One of my most frequent questions is about mentoring/internship programs. Because of that I have looked into a lot of them. I ran across this forum while looking to update information on my web site about programs.

Although I don't have personal knowledge of Med Workhops or even know of anyone who has gone through their program, when I did a review of their program for some other students, I concluded that it does sound like something worth looking into. I have not found any bad things about them. I looked them up on the Better Business Bureau and they have 2 complaints in 3 years (that were resolved) with an A+ rating. That's pretty good.

Just my 2 cents. Dee

I even tried looking Dawn/Aim program up on BBB and I could not find anything. How did you find out this information?

57 months ago

sandra-53 in West Warwick, Rhode Island said: I even tried looking Dawn/Aim program up on BBB and I could not find anything. How did you find out this information?

Hi Sandra - Maybe my former posting got a little garbled in the translation, :o) but I was responding to a question about Med Workshops and that is the one I found on the BBB, not Allstate/AIM. I hadn't tried looking up Allstate/AIM on the BBB.

lleann4mk in Kent, Washington

57 months ago

cuveliercm in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Has anyone heard of Med Workshops??

Hello. My niece is a currant student with Med Workshops and has several friends who received their training with them. It is legit and the jobs are real. TNI Transcription Network trains you through Med Workshops and then provides the internship with one of their accounts. The client you intern with is the same one that will be employing you. They can guarantee a job because part of their contract with the clients is to provide the MT's. The friend I've been in contact with for info has been working for them for 6 yrs. I myself am about to enroll for training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

unemployedteacher in Buckeye, Arizona

57 months ago

Dee in Spokane, Washington said: Hi - I'm an at-home transcriptionist with over 35 years of experience. Several years ago I set up an informational web site to help potential students wade through the "hype" on the Internet about this career. One of my most frequent questions is about mentoring/internship programs. Because of that I have looked into a lot of them. I ran across this forum while looking to update information on my web site about programs.

Just my 2 cents. Dee

I am just beginning to look into MT programs. I have checked out Allied Medical school and Career Step. Do you know anything about either of these? Also, as I have been researching, I have discovered that the jobs are not as plentiful as they sound on the internet...any comments here? And last...what program did you go through?

Prin989898@aol.com in Iron Gate, Virginia

57 months ago

I graduated from At-home professions 2005. Never found a Job do to no experience. Also could not make an 98% on the test. Very difficult it get a job in MT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Yes, I have looked into both those schools, but I have a general comment about schools. If was looking to take a correspondence course today (1)I would pick one of the AHDI-approved schools. Almost any national or regional company will test/hire you if they see you graduated successfuly from an AHDI school because they know there are curriculum standards that had to be met to get approved by the AHDI. Check AHDI website for the list.(2)If one doesn't pick from an AHDI-approved school, it looks like the next best thing is to go with a program that has an internship/mentor program built in that hires their own graduates. This area is a little bit of mine field, as there seem to be good ones and very bad ones who do this...which is the focus of this whole thread.

Now as for Allied and Career Step, they meet option 1 above, they are both AHDI-approved schools. You can't go wrong with either choice. Compare cost, time, materials provided to help in your decision.

As to jobs, there are a lot of us who are getting to retirement age and there is a huge need to replace us. I feel the TYPE of work future MTs will do is what will change more than the AMOUNT of jobs, that being more speech recognition/editing than typing. Editing is not as lucrative and not as satisfying as straight typing, so for quite a while I have been recommending people look locally for jobs rather than nationally because they are less likely to have switched to voice recognition. I recommend: Check with every physician office and clinic where you have a connection. Find/talk to who does their transcription, tell them you're in training and to keep you in mind for a job, vacation help, etc. Find/call any of the smaller local and regional companies in your area. Tell them you are in training and would like to talk to them when you are done. In other words: Network! Hope that helps. Your last question: I graduated from a good local MT/MA program; 35 years ago there were no MT correspondence schools.

57 months ago

It would be nice to be able to trust this. I just have not heard anyone talk about them except people from washington. That just happens to be where they are located. I am not calling you a liar, I am just very skeptical. Money is not the issue. If I knew it was legite I would pay. I am just worried about getting taken advantage of and then there being some sort of loop hole I didn't see as to why I would not be guaranteed a job. If there is something you can show me or someone I can talk to that is enrolled that would be great. Thank you for responding though.

leann4mk in Kent, Washington

57 months ago

cuveliercm in Salt Lake City, Utah said: It would be nice to be able to trust this. I just have not heard anyone talk about them except people from washington. That just happens to be where they are located. I am not calling you a liar, I am just very skeptical. Money is not the issue. If I knew it was legite I would pay. I am just worried about getting taken advantage of and then there being some sort of loop hole I didn't see as to why I would not be guaranteed a job. If there is something you can show me or someone I can talk to that is enrolled that would be great. Thank you for responding though.

Hi! I understand how hard it is to trust the internet with our future and money. I just completed my enrollment with Med Workshops. It's true that I live in WA and that may be why I've been able to trust them. The founder of the school has been the Business Woman of the Year twice. I have been to scared to commit to an online school because of the same fears you have. I'm not even going to tell anyone to sign with any school they haven't checked out for themselves. Thankfully, I have a niece enrolled and she signed up because her friend went through this program, graduated and is still employed by TNI. She's now a proof- reader making $25 per hr. The only requirement for job placement is graduating. I've seen all of my nieces books, curriculum and correspondence. I've pestered her with questions and seen her contract. I'm not easily convinced. The course is rigorous, but so are all good ones. Anyway, I've sent my payment (doing the 12 mos plan). I'm 56 and excited that I've finally made the decision! I'd love to keep updated on your journey. I'm thinking about blogging about my experience. The idea of school at my age is a little daunting! Lol!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

leann4mk in Kent, Washington

57 months ago

cuveliercm in Salt Lake City, Utah said: It would be nice to be able to trust this. I just have not heard anyone talk about them except people from washington. That just happens to be where they are located. I am not calling you a liar, I am just very skeptical. Money is not the issue. If I knew it was legite I would pay. I am just worried about getting taken advantage of and then there being some sort of loop hole I didn't see as to why I would not be guaranteed a job. If there is something you can show me or someone I can talk to that is enrolled that would be great. Thank you for responding though.[/QU

I'd give you names if I knew how to do so safely. I don't want to print my nieces name here. If you know how we can connect, I would. I should have my own school info anytime now. I enrolled this morning. Let me know what you would like to see and I'll try to help. My name is LeAnn.

57 months ago

Maple Grandma in Burlington, Vermont said: I applied, tested, and paid $99.00 in early October 2009 an MT internship with AIM/Dawn Houck.
I am still waiting.

She first promised it would start end of Dec. 2009.

I have not been able to get her response to the situation.
She finally apologetically responded, Feb. 2010 and said
there were 4 other people ahead of me and
the internship would start in March 2010, if not before.

After reading your message, I am once again feeling like I too should
"pull the plug."

I feel an internship is hard to find and crucial in this profession.

Look forward to your comments.
Thanks for your response.

from Vermont,
Diane Mortier

So, you paid for the internship and then and five months later you still have not started the internship? I actuall looked up this company and was thinking about doing their internship but if you have to waite months just to get in I may think otherwise. Can you give me some advice before I make the wroong choice, thank you.

57 months ago

Here's my take on this now:

AIM/Dawn Houck's Transcription company is worth the expense and the wait.

I am getting valuable, hospital MT experience, and have a mentor with 20 years experience available on Yahoo IM while I'm working.

See if your transcription school will cover 1/2 the $99.00 fee.
Allied Medical School did.

I also feel that I was well prepared by Allied for the internship.
I never could have gotten a job as an MT without this first.

57 months ago

Good Luck!

concerned

57 months ago

Maple Grandma in Burlington, Vermont said: Here's my take on this now:

AIM/Dawn Houck's Transcription company is worth the expense and the wait.

I am getting valuable, hospital MT experience, and have a mentor with 20 years experience available on Yahoo IM while I'm working.

See if your transcription school will cover 1/2 the $99.00 fee.
Allied Medical School did.

I also feel that I was well prepared by Allied for the internship.
I never could have gotten a job as an MT without this first.

I have worked for Dawn and I have not yet been paid for Dec. 09, Jan. 10 or Feb 10. She lies about when she gets the checks and when she mails them. I have even contacted SGS and they were very rude. They even lie about when the checks are mailed. Good luck with your work.

concerned

57 months ago

sandra-53 in West Warwick, Rhode Island said: I even tried looking Dawn/Aim program up on BBB and I could not find anything. How did you find out this information?

It is under Houck Transcription.

57 months ago

Through the online school Allied Medical School,Laguna Hills CA

57 months ago

Try dawn@aimprogram.info.

Good luck. There is a fee and a long wait.

57 months ago

This, to use the American vernacular "sucks."
How long have you worked for Houck?
What is your schedule like?

How long have you been an MT?

I am relieved to get some experience as a newbie.
The search for a job as an MT became unbearable.

I'll be mindful, because of your experience with Houck.

Thanks.

Maple Grandma

concerned

57 months ago

I have worked for her for 5 months. I turned in my notice and I am seeking something else. I worked from 9 til I got my line count in. I graduated in 2008 and have worked for 1 year. The months prior I had an 8-5 job doing orthopedics. I have learned I will be doing more research before I commit to another at home job.

57 months ago

concerned said: I have worked for her for 5 months. I turned in my notice and I am seeking something else. I worked from 9 til I got my line count in. I graduated in 2008 and have worked for 1 year. The months prior I had an 8-5 job doing orthopedics. I have learned I will be doing more research before I commit to another at home job.

I feel really cautious after reading this, thanks for the heads-up.
I will to finish my internship.

Why are you not wanting to do MT work at home?
For a bunch of reasons, (being a recent widow one of them),
I'm hoping working at home works out for me.

Thanks for your frank replies.

Maple Grandma

MS girl in Meridian, Mississippi

57 months ago

Maple Grandma in Burlington, Vermont said: I feel really cautious after reading this, thanks for the heads-up.
I will to finish my internship.

Why are you not wanting to do MT work at home?
For a bunch of reasons, (being a recent widow one of them),
I'm hoping working at home works out for me.

Thanks for your frank replies.

Maple Grandma

I also worked for Houck Transcription for 5 months. I am owed a lot of money and do not know when I will get it. I finally quit. Do not work there. You won't get paid. If you do it will be very late.

concerned

57 months ago

I too am still waiting for my money. I turned in a notice but was unable to work during my 2 week notice due to being locked out of the account. I even tried changing my password and it kicked me out.

Kathy Plaxico in Aberdeen, Mississippi

57 months ago

Hello everyone, I too just graduated from a medical transcription school and am seeking employment. It looks like a real nightmare out there trying to get hired especially with no experience except school. I too was looking into the AIM program. I need experience with the hopes of getting hired on somewhere. I was told that there was such a need for this profession. I spent a lot of money and time and effort. I am in my 50's also.

57 months ago

Where is this AIM program located?

57 months ago

From what I have been reading it is supposed to be located in Pennsylvania.

MT from Iowa in Tipton, Iowa

57 months ago

I really feel for all the newbie MTs who think that paying for an internship is the way to get a job in this field. You should NEVER have to pay a company to work for them!! Can you say "I've been scammed?" Any legit MTSO will contract with you and PAY YOU in a timely fashion in accordance to what your SIGNED CONTRACT says. Anything less---you are doing someone else's dirty work for free.

As far as online MT schools, only one worth mentioning any more (AHDI will recommend anyone who pays a fee to get mentioned--credentially through them don't mean much of anything.) Andrews School is the only school where you actually get an education and the help you need to find a job in these tough times. Any other school---you'll be taking your chances.

Good luck to all trying to enter this field or find that first job. Tough times in MT these days, and if you don't have the best education for it, it's really hard to find that first job (and keep it). If you're having to pay someone for that first "job," then it's not really a job, and you're being taken advantage of.

Not just my opinion either--check out MTChat.com if you want to read more about schools/legit companies, etc.

57 months ago

I had a lengthy telephone conversation with my Career/Guidance Counselor and she told me that a mentoring or apprentice or internship would be a wonderful idea. The fee that they charge is well within reason. It would give on the job experience even if you didn't get paid. It would be an asset to also add it to your resume. She also mentioned that checking around with local doctors and clinics etc and inquire to see if they have any mentoring or apprentice programs.

concerned

57 months ago

Please really check into the programs. Do Not use Houck Transcription. She doesn't respond to emails and as for a person that has actually worked for her I am still waiting on my pay from the past 3 months. Needless to say I am no longer working for her as and IC. Good luck in your job search.

57 months ago

Thank you, I really appreciate what you are saying. I have learned that I don't just jump into things without checking them out first. I have really learned the hard way on that. I wish everyone the very best of luck on their job searches.

tjeany in Toccoa, Georgia

57 months ago

Ashley in Modesto, California said: I recently graduated from a medical transcription program and I am having a really hard time finding work. Does anyone know of any companies that do some sort of internship paid or not?

elance go there

57 months ago

Dawn Houck/AIM program.

57 months ago

Why do you work so long without
speaking up about what was owed you?

concerned

57 months ago

I did speak up everyday day but it was blamed on SGS. I called SGS and the people were very rude and told me I had to take it up with Dawn. At any rate I no longer work for her and still waiting on my check. I will be getting an attorney in the next day or so.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.