Which city is best?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

M.B in Vincennes, France

82 months ago

Hello,

I'm a Network Engineer(WAN), CCNA, ITIL and right now seeking my PMP.
I'm moving to the US soon and I'm city shopping, I need your advise in which city it will be best for my career.

After a lot of research I found that San Jose is the most appropriate. What do you think?

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Kennebunk, Maine

81 months ago

I am on the East coast and i would tell you to look at Boston. Lots of IT jobs, but high rent, you'd want to live outside the city and commute. Massachuettes offers great transportation options.

Heat though is VERY expensive and you wouldn't need as much in California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

MikeC in Irvine, California

80 months ago

M.B in Vincennes, France said: Hello,

I'm a Network Engineer(WAN), CCNA, ITIL and right now seeking my PMP.
I'm moving to the US soon and I'm city shopping, I need your advise in which city it will be best for my career.

After a lot of research I found that San Jose is the most appropriate. What do you think?

Thanks.

I would stay away from California, the cost of living is probably the highest in the country and the salaries don't match the added cost. There is a lot of competition and people seem to be willing to work for below market rate.

I lived in NJ 36 years and now I am in California 4, NJ is a much better place, the cost of living is lower and you can always commute to Manhattan and command a higher salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

M.H. in Addison, Texas

79 months ago

You should check out the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas area as well. Cisco has a campus here. AT&T are always hiring contract engineers. There always seems to be a decent ammount of Network Engineer/Systems Engineer/Security Engineer jobs. Cost of living is ok. The heat in the summertime can be brutal. Austin, in my opinion, is the best place to live in Texas, but there just isn't the same job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.