Best Route to take to get into PET Scan.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 56)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Chris in Wichita Falls, Texas

79 months ago

I am currently Active Duty Air Force working as an X-ray tech. I am about 1 month from taking my National Registry and have no worries about passing it. My question is concerning PET Scan. I have decided that I would like to persue a career in PET Scan but have had a hard time finding information about how to start and what path to take. The only credits I have towards a degree are the ones I've gotten from my rad training in the AF (About 60 Credits) so my degree path is still wide open to change. I leave the AF in about 2 years, but while I'm in I can still take a few classes per semester. I was wondering if anyone has any information about the best way to gear up for a career in PET Scan. What type of degree would be best? Do I need to get registered in CT, MRI, or NM? Anyone been in my shoes and have advice? I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Poca, West Virginia

79 months ago

To become certified in PET you must be a certified nuclear medicine tech first. In this particular modality though, there is a little gray area. Preferrably, most PET scanners are manned by two techs: a nuc tech and ct tech. Although alot of people are starting to become certified in both. Some places are picky that the nuc tech handle the radioisotopes and the CT tech handles the CT portion of the test. Each state is different regarding the rules about who does what in a PET/CT environment. Also, each hospital may do things differently to save money and not have to hire two people to run PET. Some NM departments rotate their nuc techs between PET and regular NM. Some hire just dedicated PET techs. To get a PET job though, I would plan on having at least two years of PET experience as NM tech before they will even talk to you. Also, there is a separate NM PET certification that you can get after you have had enough experience working in PET. Hope some of this helps ya.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Salt Lake City, Utah

77 months ago

Chris in Wichita Falls, Texas said: I am currently Active Duty Air Force working as an X-ray tech. I am about 1 month from taking my National Registry and have no worries about passing it. My question is concerning PET Scan. I have decided that I would like to persue a career in PET Scan but have had a hard time finding information about how to start and what path to take. The only credits I have towards a degree are the ones I've gotten from my rad training in the AF (About 60 Credits) so my degree path is still wide open to change. I leave the AF in about 2 years, but while I'm in I can still take a few classes per semester. I was wondering if anyone has any information about the best way to gear up for a career in PET Scan. What type of degree would be best? Do I need to get registered in CT, MRI, or NM? Anyone been in my shoes and have advice? I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Yep, I agree with the other writer, make sure you have your years in Pet b4 you take the Registry. I learned from one of the Authors of the Pet Registry exam, and am still having a hard time justifying the extra time and cost of the 15 books for studying for that exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bizznonya in Texas

73 months ago

Jim in Poca, West Virginia said: To become certified in PET you must be a certified nuclear medicine tech first. In this particular modality though, there is a little gray area. Preferrably, most PET scanners are manned by two techs: a nuc tech and ct tech. Although alot of people are starting to become certified in both. Some places are picky that the nuc tech handle the radioisotopes and the CT tech handles the CT portion of the test. Each state is different regarding the rules about who does what in a PET/CT environment. Also, each hospital may do things differently to save money and not have to hire two people to run PET. Some NM departments rotate their nuc techs between PET and regular NM. Some hire just dedicated PET techs. To get a PET job though, I would plan on having at least two years of PET experience as NM tech before they will even talk to you. Also, there is a separate NM PET certification that you can get after you have had enough experience working in PET. Hope some of this helps ya.

This is not techically correct. There is a pathway that has been established by which CT techs can become certified in PET without becoming a fully certified nuc tech first.There is also a pathway for nuc techs to become CT certified without becoming RT's first. The pathway for the CT tech to become PET certified is longer and more difficult than the one for the nuc tech to become CT certified, so most places strongly prefer a nuc tech, or even better, a dual certified tech. The details can be found on the NMTCB site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

bizznonya in Texas

73 months ago

Jim in Poca, West Virginia said: To become certified in PET you must be a certified nuclear medicine tech first. In this particular modality though, there is a little gray area. Preferrably, most PET scanners are manned by two techs: a nuc tech and ct tech. Although alot of people are starting to become certified in both. Some places are picky that the nuc tech handle the radioisotopes and the CT tech handles the CT portion of the test. Each state is different regarding the rules about who does what in a PET/CT environment. Also, each hospital may do things differently to save money and not have to hire two people to run PET. Some NM departments rotate their nuc techs between PET and regular NM. Some hire just dedicated PET techs. To get a PET job though, I would plan on having at least two years of PET experience as NM tech before they will even talk to you. Also, there is a separate NM PET certification that you can get after you have had enough experience working in PET. Hope some of this helps ya.

www.nmtcb.org/
the alternative pathway for an RT to get certified in PET can be found at the link I posted above

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

73 months ago

There are so few jobs in PET/CT. If you no experience and have the time I would suggest dual certification. Your an X-ray tech so take the one sememster course and become CT certified. Then with a little luck you can do the CT part of the PET/CT scan and train on the PET. After so many hours you can become PET certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

gamma ray in Brooklyn, New York

69 months ago

bizznonya in Texas said: This is not techically correct. There is a pathway that has been established by which CT techs can become certified in PET without becoming a fully certified nuc tech first.There is also a pathway for nuc techs to become CT certified without becoming RT's first. The pathway for the CT tech to become PET certified is longer and more difficult than the one for the nuc tech to become CT certified, so most places strongly prefer a nuc tech, or even better, a dual certified tech. The details can be found on the NMTCB site.

nmtcb.org then go to specialty exams, then go to PET certification. There is no reciprocity for CT techs to sit for the PET exam. you must be nuc tech first before sitting for the exam. i know its unfair but blame the ARRT

bizznonya in Duncanville, Texas

61 months ago

Absolutely not true. A CT tech can absolutely sit for the PET exam PROVIDED THEY HAVE THE REQUIRED NUMBER OF HOURS OF TRAINING. You are mistaken.The details are on the nmtcb.com site. You DO NOT have to be a uc tech to sit for the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

DNE81 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

61 months ago

QUESTION IN OTHER STATES DO THEY REQUIRE YOU TO BE CERTIFIED IN CT AND NUC MED TO DO PET/CT? HERE IN ALBUQUERQUE THEY WANT YOU TO GET CERTIFIED IN CT AND I AM TRYING TO FIND A SHORT TERM PROGRAM? ANY IDEAS

THANKS
DNE81

PET/CT in Mount Morris, New York

60 months ago

HI, I am a PET/CT Technologist. I first went through X-ray school, and then found a college that offered a certification in Nuclear medicine. It was only a one year program, b/c I was already an x-ray tech. This economy is making fewer adn fewer PET/CT jobs. Reimbursement from CME is impacting us right now. Finish your x-ray schooling. Take your boards. Try to find a CT job that will take new grads. Then search for a NM certification program, while you work as a CT Tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathanx in Phila, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Alright listen up all CT or x-Ray techs Jefferson univerSity has a pet/Ct certification program only for nuc med techs however, beginning in January of 2010 it has Been rumored that the program will allow Arrt(R) or (Ct) to become Pet certified through the nmtcb and they provide all the didactic courses and clinical sites for the 700 hours needed to sit for the Boards. How do I know this? Let's just say I have insider info and there is a program in florida that trains Ct techs for PET and it is sponsored by the SNM google learning pet for Ct techs. It is an online program and The can find you a site as for me I am patientley waiting on Jefferson

gammagrl in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

I am a NMT who does PET/CT. There are also 2 programs for NMT to become certified in CT at Houston Community College and Univ. of Utah. It is a one semester program at both places.

samaiya in Lakeland, Florida

59 months ago

gammagrl in Chicago, Illinois said: I am a NMT who does PET/CT. There are also 2 programs for NMT to become certified in CT at Houston Community College and Univ. of Utah. It is a one semester program at both places.

Hi gammagrl. I am a recent graduate here in Florida and I'm moving back to Chicago by the end of September or beginning of October. I just wanted to know if you knew of any open positions anywhere in the Chicago area, and also the website where I can apply for my Illinois State Nuclear Medicine license. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

gammagrl in Chicago, Illinois

59 months ago

Hi Samaiya, Chicago has no jobs in NM right now. I graduated a year ago and have only been able to secure (2) PRN positions. I am going back for radiation therapy in one week. Here's the website for your IL license:
ILLINOIS
IEMA- Division of Nuclear Safety
1035 Outer Park Drive, Springfield, IL 62704
www.iema.illinois.gov/radiation/accredit.asp
Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

CNMT in Chicago, Illinois

59 months ago

Hi Gammagrl, be happy you have a PRN job let alone 2 of them...I can't even get that and I graduated this June. I have not been able to get any work at all. And I have a bachelors degree in nuclear medicine which also leaves you with no options because you are not able to do anything else with that degree...don't get me wrong I love nuclear medicine and I wouldn't change my career choice...Well check back with me in a few months and see if I feel the same way since there are no jobs especially in Chicago.

GoNuc in Columbus, Ohio

59 months ago

OMG! I feel your pain CNMT in Chicago!! I too have a BS in Nuc. Medicine (CNMT Certified) and have been done since Dec. of 2008 and I have yet to find anything!!!! This degree takes you no where.. FAST! I have applied for other jobs that were not picky but only referred a BS degree and still nothing!!! NUc. Med is declining in demand and do not reccomend anyone to major in it but PET is taking over but it too will diminish!

CNMT in Oswego, Illinois

59 months ago

GoNuc in Columbus, The worst part is that I wanted to get my nursing degree and since I already have a bachelors I will not receive any financial aid...Even if I go to community college still no help. I think this education system we have is broken and they 2 year schools are killing the nuc med profession. They are dumping too many techs into the market each year and SNM don't seem to want to help at all. So once again we are screwed. I hope people see these posts and change their minds about going into nuc med. Before its too late and then they can't afford to do anything else cause they have their degree...Well I am interviewing at Macy's next week so hopefully I will get the min wage job.

GoNuc in Columbus, Ohio

59 months ago

That is a shame CNMT in Oswego, I know exactly where you are coming from... I too wanted to go back and get a double major but in Nuclear engineering... All I would have to do is take the Engineering courses because all the others would transfer ... That would put me back in school for another 2 yrs at the most and of course dealing with the finacial aid that I would not get... However, I am 37yrs old I really do not want to keep dragging this whole education thing out... My husband has been so patient and now to still be unemployed really makes me wonder what the world has come to...Good luck at Macy's hopefully you will find something soon because If your student loans are anything like mine .... Macy's is not gonna cut it.....Sorry to say.. BEST WISHES....GoNuc in columbus, Ohio!!!!

CNMT in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

OH no Macy's was a waste of time...Now I am trying to get a job as a patient registrar in a local hospital, just to have my foot in the door somewhere...I have a feeling I might have to get into a new profession, which sucks because I love Nuc med...what else is there to do?

Laz in Sarasota, Florida

57 months ago

I guess I'm lucky because I just graduated from Nuc Med school and inmediately found a job as a PET/CT tech. I think that what helped is that I already had my RT(R) certification. Few people in my class have found jobs, and PRN only; and the class before mine is in the same situation. For those thinking moving into NM, think again. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful profession, but there's absolutely no demand for nuc med techs at this moment. I think schools need to start decreasing the number of students accepted into their programs to level the field out there.

FutureNucMedStudent in Slidell, Louisiana

55 months ago

So I've been reading the comments about Nuclear Medicine techs and the unavailability of jobs out there. I will be finishing up my second year of community college in May. I'll have an associate's degree in general studies with a concentration in biology, and afterwards was considering applying for my school's nuc med tech program. But some would dissuade me from this occupation because of the unavailable positions out there. So if I don't go into nuc med, what other similar professions would you suggest?

BradW in Millsboro, Delaware

54 months ago

Jonathanx in Phila, Pennsylvania said: Alright listen up all CT or x-Ray techs Jefferson univerSity has a pet/Ct certification program only for nuc med techs however, beginning in January of 2010 it has Been rumored that the program will allow Arrt(R) or (Ct) to become Pet certified through the nmtcb and they provide all the didactic courses and clinical sites for the 700 hours needed to sit for the Boards. How do I know this? Let's just say I have insider info and there is a program in florida that trains Ct techs for PET and it is sponsored by the SNM google learning pet for Ct techs. It is an online program and The can find you a site as for me I am patientley waiting on Jefferson

I'm really wanting to get a job as a Nuc Tech in Philly especially one where I can start getting my 700 hrs for PET certification. Im NMTCB certified in Nuc Medicine- my email is bwockenf@gmail.com can you throw me a line if you hear of any openings in the area? thanks

Hello2 in Richmond Hill, Georgia

48 months ago

CNMT in Chicago, Illinois said: OH no Macy's was a waste of time...Now I am trying to get a job as a patient registrar in a local hospital, just to have my foot in the door somewhere...I have a feeling I might have to get into a new profession, which sucks because I love Nuc med...what else is there to do?

maybe anesthesia?

nukesem

47 months ago

I have read many of your comments. I am a Nuc Med Tech in NY. I am also interested in performing PET/CT. However, in the state of NY 4 u 2 operate an XRAY tube U must have a formal degree from an ARRT approved school. By the same token u must have formal education, degree and training from an ARRT approved school also 2 perform Nuclear Medicine exams and administer radioisotopes. NYS is one of the strictest 2 deal with as far as this matter is concerned.
I do live close 2 Connecticut where their rule is- If u are an RT whatever and pass the exam for that specialty w/ ARRT. You are an eligible candidate for that position.
My point being is that the rules and regulations differ so greatly from state 2 state, that I would advise anyone seeking the best route 4 the state that u want 2 work in. Call, write or contact the Board of Health or accrediting agency in your state.
Good Luck 2 all of you in your endeavours.

Solley in Chicago

47 months ago

Nukesem if you are lets say NMTCB registered and also RT(CT) would you be able to do PET/CT? By the same, do they ask that you have some soft of nuc med education and certification in order to inject in NY?

nukesem

46 months ago

In the state of New York, 2 perform injections of any radioisotope you should either be Nuc Med Tech or a nurse that has been given inservices by the health physicist or the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO), and are working under the direct supervision of a physician.
This way if you have not recieved the formal training from an accredited school, a nurse working in a stress lab knows what she or he is dealing with and has been given at least the minimum requirements on handling radioactive materials in a controlled environment. This traing should be documented and kept with the Raidioactive Materials License (RMA)

Solley in Chicago

46 months ago

Nukesem, you are kidding right?!!!! A nurse? So to push a button one must go to school, but to inject Rp. just a 'formal' training by the RSO a? What about labeling RBC's or WBC's? Are nurses allowed to that as well!? In NY can an RT only do PET scans?

gammagrl in chicago in Glendale Heights, Illinois

46 months ago

By law, nurses are not allowed to inject radiopharmaceuticals without a nuc med license. I have never heard of that anywhere! If they are doing it it's against the law. I have a Bachelors in Nursing and I am doing PET but was not allowed to do anything nuc med related without a formal training program and license.

dual licensed tech in Brooklyn, New York

46 months ago

I just wanted to clarify a little about what nukesem is saying. And for all those reading this post, I'm ONLY referring to NY State!! Every state is different. In order to work in NY, as any kind of radiology tech, you MUST apply for radiation license from NYSDOH. There are separate licenses for Xray and Nucs. NY state says that CNMT and/or ARRT(N) can operate a PET/CT scanner only if they take the accredited school at SUNY Stonybrook which allows nuc techs to sit for the CT exam. The limitation is that this is ONLY for LOW DOSE non-diagnostic PET/CT scans.

Here are two obstacles: 1) If the place does high dose (aka diagnostic PET/CT scans using high KV and high mA), then CNMT and/or ARRT(N) CAN NOT operate Pet/CT scanner.

2) only nurses and Xray techs ARRT(R) are allowed to inject IV contrast for the purpose of diagnostic CT imaging, ARRT(R) must apply for a separate NYS injection license for IV contrast. If you are a CNMT and/or ARRT(N), the NYS dept of health will not even send you an application for the license. They do not care even if you have your ARRT(CT) license. along with your ARRT(R) proof, you MUST send a copy of your accredited XRAY SCHOOL in order to apply for NY state injection license (which is separate from NY state nuclear and Xray license). on the NYSDOH website are listed which modality you are allowed to practice and if you are licensed to inject IV contrast by name and unique ID #
I've worked at many hospitals where nuc tech all over NY still "press the button" for diagnostic CT scans. Even though this is considered wrong by the state of NY, a lot of places just say that the doctor "pushed the button" if they ever get audited.

I've also seen nuc techs inject IV contrast without their NY state injection license. All i'm saying is make sure that you are willing to suffer the consequences especially if your pxt dies. Hire a very good lawyer.

46 months ago

@gammagirl and solley: again this reply just replies to NYS

I agree with you guys 100% but in NYS state nurses are allowed in inject RP. What they can't do is prepare the dose. They are not allowed to prepare the dose in the HOT lab. The RP must be dispensed by the nuclear tech or the radiopharmacist. Basically they check the patient id, verify the correct dose and inject the patient.

Nurses union is very powerful here and even though nuclear techs can physically inject, the nurses' union tells the hospital that it is under their "scope of practice" so long as they work under the doctors' orders and supervision. (aka job security)

You won't find this so much at private office b/c many places will not pay a nurses salary just to inject isotope.

I hope i was able to help clarify any questions. Trust me, when i read about other state laws concerning licensing it seem just as foreign to me. My suggestion is just contact the department of health from whatever state you live in and find out whatever works in your favor. And if it doesn't, well i guess moving is always an option...

nukesem

46 months ago

I also have a BS . Not in nursing but in nuclear medicine and 16 yrs experience in the field. It is not against the law and it is done in many institutions. In any hospital that I have worked in. If the stress lab was a great distance from the nuc med lab, either the nurse or the MD injected. You cannot expect a nuc med tech to go back and forth all morning. Again, you are working under the direct supervision of a physician. That physician must be on the RMA however. If u do not believe me then check with your health physicist or someone who does the inspections for the board of health.We have always done a good job of giving inservice to the nurses who worked in stress labs and documenting it for the RMA inspections.I have on several occasions personnally given the log book of Rad Mat Inservice Logs which document the education to an inspector. . The inspectors have even on occasion spoken to the nurse regarding procedure and asked her questions to see if she knew what she was doing.
It is against the law however to be haphazardly handling and then injecting something u know nothing about. I believe they call it wrecklessness.
However, if a person is not comfortable handling radioactive materials in the first place for whatever reason then it is in my opinion that they should not be handling radioactive materials.

Solley in Chicago

46 months ago

@ dual licensed tech, many thanks for the clarification!!! It sounds like if you are R.T.(N)(CT) in NYS you would not be allowed to do diagnostic PET/CT's, am I understanding you correctly? What if you did formal schooling in CT, not just OJT? What if you are lets say CNMT & R.T.(N)(CT), you still can not do CT's and/or diagnostic PET/CT, with the CT being diagnostic?

I tell you, this idea of having nurses inject a dose that a tech prepared does not sound a good one to me at all. It sounds like there are too many hands in the pot and this is just a predisposition for mishandling! But union administration knows better what is safe for the patient I guess!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gammagrl in in Glendale Heights, Illinois

46 months ago

In Illinois it is a direct violation of IEMA for nurses to inject radiopharmaceuticals. And it is not done here. Only trained physicians and nuc med techs.
As for PET/CT, according to ARRT there are only 3 states that nuc med techs can do diagnostic CT and that is OR, AR, & MN. In IL even with a CT course behind you, you will not be allowed to do diagnostic CT. I currently do PET and called and inquired about this very thing. This is what they told me.

Solley in Chicago

46 months ago

@ gammagrl what about if you have RT(CT) on top of the RT(N) or CNMT, would you not be allowed to do diagnostic CT in IL?

gammagrl in in Glendale Heights, Illinois

46 months ago

No! I was going to go out of state and take a CT course for nuc med techs. I was told by ARRT that even if I did that I would not be able to do diagnostic CT in IL. In IL you HAVE to be an xray tech to do diagnostic CT. There is no way around it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Solley in Chicago

46 months ago

gammagrl What about MRI? If you are RT(N) and you go for the RT(MR), can you then do MRI's, or if you are CNMT and sit for the MRI boards?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

gammagrl in Glendale Heights, Illinois

46 months ago

Solley in Chicago said: gammagrl What about MRI? If you are RT(N) and you go for the RT(MR), can you then do MRI's, or if you are CNMT and sit for the MRI boards?

If you take a formal program for MR you can sit for the board. I went back for Radiation Therapy. I'm looking to get into that field as well.

karen in Watertown, Massachusetts

44 months ago

Jonathanx in Phila, Pennsylvania said: Alright listen up all CT or x-Ray techs Jefferson univerSity has a pet/Ct certification program only for nuc med techs however, beginning in January of 2010 it has Been rumored that the program will allow Arrt(R) or (Ct) to become Pet certified through the nmtcb and they provide all the didactic courses and clinical sites for the 700 hours needed to sit for the Boards. How do I know this? Let's just say I have insider info and there is a program in florida that trains Ct techs for PET and it is sponsored by the SNM google learning pet for Ct techs. It is an online program and The can find you a site as for me I am patientley waiting on Jefferson

Hi...I see that you attented Jefferson a few years ago for Nuc. Med...did you like that program? do you know anything about the MRI program at that school?? I have a Bachelors degree in Health science with a concentration in Radiology and I was looking to go to Jefferson but I am from Boston and do not know much about it....hope you can help me..

Thank you

rvohra76 in White Plains, New York

43 months ago

gammagrl in Chicago, Illinois said: I am a NMT who does PET/CT. There are also 2 programs for NMT to become certified in CT at Houston Community College and Univ. of Utah. It is a one semester program at both places.

is this the spect/ct course or is it an actual ct course.

gammagrl in Carol Stream, Illinois

43 months ago

rvohra76 in White Plains, New York said: is this the spect/ct course or is it an actual ct course.

This is an actual CT course for nuc med techs. However, as of now, nuc med techs can only do diagnostic CT in 3 states that I know of.

Seth Gray in Chamapign Urbana, Illinois

43 months ago

I have been in the medical field for a while and looking to become a Nuc Med tech. I found some programs that require you to be an RT first before you can start any Nuc Med courses, but there are some that don't. Is it better to first be a RT before and Nuc med, even if it can be avoided? Also job wise, are you more marketable with certification in both?

Hello2 in Goose Creek, South Carolina

43 months ago

Yes, I think you should be an RT or have a Bachelors degree in the healthcare field first because you need the clinical/pt. experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathanx

43 months ago

karen in Watertown, Massachusetts said: Hi...I see that you attented Jefferson a few years ago for Nuc. Med...did you like that program? do you know anything about the MRI program at that school?? I have a Bachelors degree in Health science with a concentration in Radiology and I was looking to go to Jefferson but I am from Boston and do not know much about it....hope you can help me..

Thank you

Karen,

The MRI program is very good. One of my colleagues didnvery well and is making about 82k.
Boards were easy. Jeff really prepares you.

Nuks. in Bronx, New York

42 months ago

To All,

I have read everyone's comments, but like most of you stated policies & regulations differs from state to state, therfore with a grain of salt do realize that these jobs are more than what beats the eyes. To All Nuks: Knowing the theory of the isotopes and understanding the biodistribution factor of the dose is what differs you from all others. Advice if you know your anatomy and physiology and your cross calibration factors like the back of your hand then by all means contiune to pursue, but if this is just a pay day realize you deal with human beings not cattle. With that note all the best.

Nuc Tech lookin for PET/CT! in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

38 months ago

I am a Nuc Med Tech in Delaware. Looking for a way to take the CT exam in order to do PET/CT exams. Anyone know of a course offered in Delaware?

RTRNCT, CNMT in Dumont, New Jersey

38 months ago

You know I was thinking of taking the PET/CT course in Jefferson University but you have to retake the test every 7 years so whats the point? I need to spend a few thousand dollars again just to be certified again? No thank you. I rather get my BA in business administration and MBA. However, Jefferson university is a great college especially their MR program I heard. Yeah, owning a school healthcare program is the new cash cow!

Stenny in Elmont, New York

38 months ago

bizznonya in Texas said: This is not techically correct. There is a pathway that has been established by which CT techs can become certified in PET without becoming a fully certified nuc tech first.There is also a pathway for nuc techs to become CT certified without becoming RT's first. The pathway for the CT tech to become PET certified is longer and more difficult than the one for the nuc tech to become CT certified, so most places strongly prefer a nuc tech, or even better, a dual certified tech. The details can be found on the NMTCB site.

This is actually correct, I am currently a student at Stony Brook University NM program, I am just finishing my clinicals this june but I am also taking my PET/ CT class on weekends to become certified in PET/ CT. HOWEVER, having this dual license in NY means that I can only work with NON-diagnostic PET/CT cameras and only under supervision of a RT for the CT portion

radioactive in Humble, Texas

37 months ago

gamma ray in Brooklyn, New York said: nmtcb.org then go to specialty exams, then go to PET certification. There is no reciprocity for CT techs to sit for the PET exam. you must be nuc tech first before sitting for the exam. i know its unfair but blame the ARRT

That is not correct. I am a CT Tech and with my documented clinical hours for PET and 45 CE credits that NTCMB recommends, I did sit for the PET boards. I had zero Nuclear Med background.

37 months ago

gamma ray in Brooklyn, New York said: nmtcb.org then go to specialty exams, then go to PET certification. There is no reciprocity for CT techs to sit for the PET exam. you must be nuc tech first before sitting for the exam. i know its unfair but blame the ARRT

Dear radioactive,

PLEASE READ ALL MY COMMENTS before giving out bad information. I know what you are saying is to be true BUT my comments were directed to people who work in NEW YORK STATE ONLY. I was not commenting about the rest of the country. Those post primary certifications are NOT APPLICABLE IN NEW YORK STATE. So for anyone else who tells me that my comments are "incorrect" basically are only commenting are PART of my discussion. So please don't mislead other techs out there. My comments were directed to someone looking for work in NY STATE.

Operating a PET/CT scanner in NY for the purpose of diagnostic CT (diagnostic mA and IV contrast) along with PET requires both X-ray school and nuclear medicine school. For nondiagnostic pet/ct (low mA and no IV contrast) only requires nuclear medicine school and ARRT(CT) certification. of course there are tech out there "pushing the button" illegally but hey to each there own.

NY state also does not recognize CT techs who sit for the nmtcb specialty exam in PET at all. If anyone wishes to tell me that I am "incorrect" i look forward to hearing from you. My comments are posted to help other techs who wanted to know about working in NY. I don't know about the licensing requirements for the 49 other states and i certainly would not comment about another state especially if i didn't know what i was talking about.

Solley in Chicago

37 months ago

dual licensed tech in Brooklyn would you please give the links to the this information? Especially about having CT, as a secondary certification if your primary is NM through the ARRT or NMTCB.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.