Adult NP- New Graduate Job Search

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 185)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Dee in Conyers, Georgia

71 months ago

Hello,
I am a new graduate Adult NP, which isn't as marketable as FNP. I'm finding many employers are requiring at least 2-3 years of experience. Anyone no of employers that are willing to hire new grads in Atlanta or nearby cities?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (136) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Conyers, Georgia

71 months ago

Sorry about the typo guys, Question should be, Does anyone know of employers that are willing to hire new graduate Adult NP's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LaQuay in MetroAtlanta, Georgia

69 months ago

Dee in Conyers, Georgia said: Hello,
I am a new graduate Adult NP, which isn't as marketable as FNP. I'm finding many employers are requiring at least 2-3 years of experience. Anyone no of employers that are willing to hire new grads in Atlanta or nearby cities?

Hi Dee,I have a younger sister called Dee.Anyway,I am a certified Adult NP with more than 15 yrs of experience and was laid off from my job of many many yrs.I am also looking for work.Where have you applied?
Some one is willing to give you a chance as a new graduate in the areas of school health/college-NP, hospitals- out patient/primary care clinics in internal medicine,correctional health,and/or Public health/community clinics.You may have to hit the pavement in addition to your online job search,stay positive,assertive and keep your Faith.The economy is not good for any of us right now! Just remember your first job may be the bridge to your "dream job".You may email me if you would like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Hi Dee,I have a younger sister called Dee.Anyway,I am a certified Adult NP with more than 15 yrs of experience and was laid off from my job of many many yrs.I am also looking for work.Where have you applied?
Some one is willing to give you a chance as a new graduate in the areas of school health/college-NP, hospitals- out patient/primary care clinics in internal medicine,correctional health,and/or Public health/community clinics.You may have to hit the pavement in addition to your online job search,stay positive,assertive and keep your Faith.The economy is not good for any of us right now! Just remember your first job may be the bridge to your "dream job".You may email me if you would like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

LaQuay in MetroAtlanta, Georgia said: Hi Dee,I have a younger sister called Dee.Anyway,I am a certified Adult NP with more than 15 yrs of experience and was laid off from my job of many many yrs.I am also looking for work.Where have you applied?
Some one one is willing to give you a chance as a new graduate in the areas of school health/college-NP, hospitals- out patient/primary care clinics in internal medicine,correctional health,and/or Public health/community clinics.You may have to hit the pavement in addition to your online job search,stay positive,assertive and keep your Faith.The economy is not good for any of us right now! Just remember your first job may be the bridge to your "dream job".You may email me if you would like.
lqj729@bellouth.net.Sorry,I wrote my comment in your box.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lanelle Streater in Nashville, Tennessee

69 months ago

Hi, I will be having that same problem. I do not graduate until May 2009. I want to move to the Columbia/Chaleston/Spartanbu, SC area. Does anyone know where I might find a job right out of graduate school? I do have 16 year experience as an RN, but none as a FNP.
Thanks!
Patrycia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Conyers, Georgia

69 months ago

Hi Patrycia, you should look into the mini clinics at Targets, Walgreens, CVS etc. They are always hiring FNP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in New Rochelle, New York

68 months ago

Dee in Conyers, Georgia said: Hi Patrycia, you should look into the mini clinics at Targets, Walgreens, CVS etc. They are always hiring FNP.

Hi Dee
Thanks for reponding.I have reviewed postings for these types of postions. In that they see patients of all ages, they only hire FNP's. As an ANP in NY - can only see as young as I think 14 years
I just graduated this past June, and I have already looked into a few FNP Poat Masters Certificate Programs. If I had to do all over again, should have/would have pursued FNP track. Thanks again, Pat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

shri123 in Jaipur, India

64 months ago

Drug Treatment Centers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bennett in Woodstock, Georgia

58 months ago

Hi...I am a new FNP-C also looking for a position. I have
used all my resources to the max. I will move anywhere in the
southeast region, and still having a hard time finding a position.
Im really considering the Airforce if I continue to have this kind of
luck!! Hell, I don't know if they would even want me...everybody seems to want an experinced NP?? It has been nearly six months since I finished my program! I never
thought I would have this kind of problem finding a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Marietta, Georgia

58 months ago

Try your luck at Emory Healthcare. They have several positions open. Stay positive, pray, and keep looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Charlotte, North Carolina

57 months ago

Hello I am a FNP new Graduate in Charlotte and I have been looking for a Practice to join for about 4 months. I am looking for full time work. I have applied it seems everywhere and everyone wants EXPERIENCED NPs. This is frustrating. Help I need a job in the Charlotte or Gastonia area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CrysCFNP in Woodstock, Virginia

56 months ago

Hey Dee,
I have been a FNP for 7 years and I am going through the same kind of problems. first nobody would hire me full-time so i had to leave those jobs. Then I ended up in 3 jobs where I had managers who were jealous at the knowledge I had and made my life miserable to the point of quiting. Now I work in a nursing home and the supervising physician is not to pleasant to work for. I am now looking again. it doesn't make your resume look good though when they look at a resume with 4-5 jobs in 7 years. Plus where I live in virginia doesn't know how to pay FNP's......Good luck on you job hunt......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dmossgirl in West Chester, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

I'm an FNP looking for work anywhere in SE Pennsylvania or Northern Delaware.
I spent the last year working abroad in S. Sudan in a small rural medical clinic, so I have some NP experience, just not in the US. Any thoughts?
I am particularly interested in ED fast track or urgent care, since I love suturing and minor injury care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rosewood

55 months ago

I found a position in a correctional institution was of great benefit to me as a new graduate ANP. The collaborating physicians were very kind and helpful as were the staff and inmates that were happy I was there. I learned how to treat everything from athletes foot to alligator bites!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Netzer in Nashville, Tennessee

55 months ago

I understand the dilema. Also a new A NP from Vanderbilt, I am finding it amazingly difficult to become hired, as most places desire prior experience or a FNP focus.
I have tried to find work secondarily as an RN, ALSO impossible.

thoughts?

Netzer in Nashville, Tennessee

55 months ago

Bennett in Woodstock, Georgia said: Hi...I am a new FNP-C also looking for a position. I have
used all my resources to the max. I will move anywhere in the
southeast region, and still having a hard time finding a position.
Im really considering the Airforce if I continue to have this kind of
luck!! Hell, I don't know if they would even want me...everybody seems to want an experinced NP?? It has been nearly six months since I finished my program! I never
thought I would have this kind of problem finding a job.

I understand. I am having the same issues as both an RN (new) and a ANP (new and pending boards). I am trying to find work, so I can pay the Boards fees, but this is proving after 4 months to be...difficult. Graduated in August.
Any thoughts. I am now looking into Indian Health Services, and moving ANYwhere that I ca to get a year of expereince as RN/or NP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia Pugni in New Rochelle, New York

55 months ago

Netzer in Nashville, Tennessee said: Are YOU for real???!
Most of my classmates who went through this program, which takes your from non-nurse to NP, are already working as NP. I have been trying to become hired as an RN since we got out of School 6 months ago. Why? Why you may ask? It is because i felt the need to work as an RN first. To gain experience first. As a matter of Choice, not requirement. For it is NOT a requirement to work as an RN...EVER...to become a Nurse Practitioner. The two do not overlap. Get it? Got it? Good.
Now. If you would like to apologise for your presumption, condemnation, and attitude, I will also pullback, and perhaps apologize.
Thank you,
Jon Makay a.k.a. Netzer[/QUOTE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

What presumption? attitude ? apologize ? for what ? Am for real - yes I am. Most schools that I am aware of, require RN experience prior to MSN degress for Nurse Practitioner program. There are some very reputable programs that offer non RN-BS to BSN-MSN degrees. However, as an RN for over 25 years prior to obtaining my NP cerification and licensure as such; I do not feel they can compete in the current job environment with EMPLOYERS who are not simply impressed with your degree accomplishments.
You are dissapointed you cannot find work as new RN-and as NP without certification. Potential employers may not think of you as someone they want to invest their money and time in as an RN-when at first blush you may leave for an NP position. As I said, I feel badly you are having a difficult time. Hang in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Bennett in Villa Rica, Georgia

55 months ago

Hang in there. I obtained my NP certification in July. I sent out several CV's to employers and some called and some didn't. I have been on a total of eight interviews and some offered positions while others didn't. I just completed a interview this week and was offered a position...in another state. I have recently accepted that job. I learned through the whole experience...Patience! Something came my way, and it is the right opportunity for me. So hang in there, and keep looking!!! Yours will come too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

donna foster 281 in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

yes, please email me asap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mrs Garcia in Royal Oak, Michigan

54 months ago

Hello,
I am a new Adult Nurse Practitioner graduate and currently looking for a job in Detroit, Michigan ....
I rotated in primary care, internal medicine / critical care, and cardiology .
Do you know of anybody wanting to hire ??
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Margie Sessions in Tucson, Arizona

54 months ago

Holly in Denver, Colorado said: I am an newly board-certified ANP looking for work in Colorado...anyone interested in taking on a new person. I'm flexible and can work part-time or full-time.

hhyattlangdon@earthlink.net

I wish to relocate to Colorado (Denver area), what is the outlook for FNP's there? I am a new grad FNP with 27 yrs RN experience.
Margie

Holly in Denver, Colorado

54 months ago

I think you may fare better as an FNP but I must say that the job market for new NP's is very tight here. I passed boards a year ago and am still looking. While I think alot of it is bad timing with the economy, getting your foot in the door here has never been super easy.

54 months ago

Holly in Denver, Colorado said: I think you may fare better as an FNP but I must say that the job market for new NP's is very tight here. I passed boards a year ago and am still looking. While I think alot of it is bad timing with the economy, getting your foot in the door here has never been super easy.

Thanks Holly, I have seen ads for FNP's online and wondered about the possibility of a new grad getting in. I have my ACLS BSCL and speak intermediate spanish and could use that to advantage. Currently I am in Corrections as a clinic RN. The economy is sick to say the least!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

husker311 in Watertown, Massachusetts

54 months ago

Hey I'll be graduating from Boston College in May 2010 as an FNP and I'm just starting to my job search. I'm pretty open to moving. My ideal cities are New Orleans, Austin, Charleston, Raleigh/Durham, Tucson or Sacramento. I've been working with the homeless as an RN and I would love to continue in that population or work in a community health clinic. If anyone knows of someone hiring that I might be a good fit for let me know! Thanks!

54 months ago

Congrat's on your accomplishments.
New York City is not on your ideal list of cities to relocate to; but there are
a multitude of opportinities to work with the underserved in NYC. Your are doing
great work, and are well appreciated by those you serve. PP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yetzer in Nashville, Tennessee

54 months ago

Hang in there. I obtained my NP certification in July. I sent out several CV's to employers and some called and some didn't.

thanks. Still looking. Just gets wearisome and frustrating. How goes it for you all? Anyone know of a good study aid out there for the ANP Boards?

Shannon in Mililani, Hawaii

54 months ago

Hello everyone. I will be graduating as a FNP very shortly. I am running into the same exact issues.... EVERYONE WANTS EXPEREINCE! Is it ok to apply to jobs that require experience and hope they will call you anyway?? Any one know of any jobs for new NP's in Florida, near Pensacola? I thank you in advance!

54 months ago

Try posting "New graduate pensacola, FL" in the job boards. Good luck to you, I am in the same fix and I would love to relocate to Denver but no luck as a new grad. Maybe after a year or twwo in a less preferable job I will be able to relocate to Denver.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Hi all,

One route to this "experience only" is to work on getting some through volunteering some where. I am going to start soon at Planned Parenthood but there is also the National Coalition for the Homeless, hospice, etc. These may not be the ideal position but it is an "in"; and many places do hire from their volunteer pool. Also, you can still be looking for work while you are volunteering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

guidingangelsllc@hotmail.com in Dallas, Texas

53 months ago

donna foster 281 in Houston, Texas said: yes, please email me asap

donna pls. email me thanks so much

53 months ago

LaQuay in MetroAtlanta, Georgia said: Hi Dee,I have a younger sister called Dee.Anyway,I am a certified Adult NP with more than 15 yrs of experience and was laid off from my job of many many yrs.I am also looking for work.Where have you applied?

lots of openings in texas. pls. email me guidingangelsllc@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Yetzer in Nashville, Tennessee said: Hang in there. I obtained my NP certification in July. I sent out several CV's to employers and some called and some didn't.

thanks. Still looking. Just gets wearisome and frustrating. How goes it for you all? Anyone know of a good study aid out there for the ANP Boards?

pls email me at guidingangelsllc@hotmail.com

Andrew Brown in Raleigh, North Carolina

53 months ago

I have two NP positions available even will consider new grads in North Carolina...

1)Pain Med- central, NC

2)Psych mental health center Eastern, NC brown@reef-sys.com

A-Brown

burkhart in Wheeling, West Virginia

53 months ago

I notice that as soon as obama and the health care scare took over, many jobs disappeared or now we are looking at old job listings that nobody has taken. Maybe when things get sorted out the job market will be better hang in there. Many people I talk with have problems too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Conyers, Georgia

53 months ago

Jobs disappeared long before Obama and health care reform. I encourage everyone to stay positive and keep looking. The right job will come along in due season for you. Lets stay focused on helping each other find jobs rather than placing blame. Stay positive and keep looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NPChappell in Hollywood, Florida

53 months ago

I agree 100%, with the new Obama health care scare, facilities are cutting back, everyone is scared about what will happen so new jobs are not opening up. Employers are already squeezed so tight on billing fees, it's an uncertain situation. Plus with all the small business new taxes Obama is going to place on employers that means even less jobs in every field. Sad situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Badger in Nashville, Tennessee

53 months ago

NPChappell in Hollywood, Florida said: I agree 100%, with the new Obama health care scare, facilities are cutting back, everyone is scared about what will happen so new jobs are not opening up. Employers are already squeezed so tight on billing fees, it's an uncertain situation. Plus with all the small business new taxes Obama is going to place on employers that means even less jobs in every field. Sad situation.

Can you be specific: what are the new taxes and bills that our President is going to be placing on healthcare employers. I haven't personaly ready the healthcare bill and am so releived someone has. Please inform me!!! Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NPChappell in Hollywood, Florida

53 months ago

It's not a tax on healthcare workers or employers Obama has proposed. It's a tax increase on ANY private person or business (in any industry) that makes over $250k per year. That tax burden placed on the small business means less money available to spend on employee salaries and benefits. Less money to spend period. With the economy in the dumps, any new tax increase on small business means no new jobs.

As for the healthcare bill, it changes as often as the weather so I don't think anyone can keep up with it. I do think if Obama gets his bill passed for gov run care it would stand to reason there will be new nursing jobs as demand will increase. However, the bill has us paying for it now but healthcare not actually starting until 2014 (or some date, can't remember, when Obama is no longer in office or re-elected in a second term). So those jobs are years away. Does not help the unemployed nurse now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

m.floyd in Rome, Georgia

51 months ago

would like to hire a np in rome, ga for NHRT clinic. if interested please reply

Patty in New Rochelle, New York

51 months ago

What is a NHRT Clinic ?

Patty in New Rochelle, New York

51 months ago

guidingangelsllc@hotmail.com in Dallas, Texas said: pls email me at guidingangelsllc@hotmail.com

Highly recommend Fitzgerald's Adult/Family Review Book. NEW Edition recently
available.
Attend review course if you can. FHEA Assoc-chek Internet. Good Luck

Margie in Tucson, Arizona

51 months ago

Patty in New Rochelle, New York said: Highly recommend Fitzgerald's Adult/Family Review Book. NEW Edition recently
available.
Attend review course if you can. FHEA Assoc-chek Internet. Good Luck

Fitzgeralds class and review book is fantastic, read it studied it and went to the course and passed both AANP and ANCC, also listened Amelie Hollier's CDs too.

Margie in Tucson, Arizona

51 months ago

Margie Sessions in Tucson, Arizona said: Try posting "New graduate pensacola, FL" in the job boards. Good luck to you, I am in the same fix and I would love to relocate to Denver but no luck as a new grad. Maybe after a year or twwo in a less preferable job I will be able to relocate to Denver.

Hi Have several interviews in Denver as a new grad FNP, and was told my 30 years of RN experience is an asset. ALso saw lots of helpful job leads in the local CAZNAP networking group. Maybe your area of the US has a networking group of NPs or PA's online, or an association of them in the state.

51 months ago

Were did you end up interviewing?

m.floyd in Rome, Georgia

51 months ago

natural hormone replacment therapy, pellet form. surgicaly inplanted subq in the hip.

ToddLPN in Atlanta, Georgia

51 months ago

CHUNGA in River Grove, Illinois said: son of a bytch, why is it so hard to find a job in nursing, i thought there was a nurse shortage, god damn liars

Are you kidding?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Maddie in Smithfield, Rhode Island

51 months ago

Hello fellow peers! I graduated over one year ago from a FNP program and became certified last summer. I have been looking for employment as a FNP full time for well over 6 months and have not gotten one final job offer. I have 10 years of experience in acute care settings as a RN (ICU, ED, etc). The majority of companies and practices that I apply to require prior NP experience and do not equate prior RN experience with any value. It is also discouraging because many times I have been told that I am a "top candidate" for the position and invited to 2nd and 3rd interviews, yet to be told in the end (after 1 to 2 months of ongoing unknown and no commitments)that they chose someone more qualified. Another frustrating trend that I have encountered is going for interviews (we all know how much time and effort it takes to research a potential place of employment and the stress involved with interviews) and never hearing back. One interview I had was literally 3 hours long, very academic and formal. I sent my thank you letter immediately after, and never heard back. I find this very disappointing and unprofessional. I am finding that all of this rejection of not getting hired as an NP is negatively effecting me. I am losing my hope and confidence. Never would I have thought this would be my destiny after NP school. I am concerned for my future professionally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Lawrenceville, Georgia

51 months ago

Maddie in Smithfield, Rhode Island said: Hello fellow peers! I graduated over one year ago from a FNP program and became certified last summer. I have been looking for employment as a FNP full time for well over 6 months and have not gotten one final job offer. I have 10 years of experience in acute care settings as a RN (ICU, ED, etc). The majority of companies and practices that I apply to require prior NP experience and do not equate prior RN experience with any value. It is also discouraging because many times I have been told that I am a "top candidate" for the position and invited to 2nd and 3rd interviews, yet to be told in the end (after 1 to 2 months of ongoing unknown and no commitments)that they chose someone more qualified. Another frustrating trend that I have

Don't loose heart! You are doing the right thing.I have had the same situations.I have been through interviews where I was given a real patient to review the chart and tell what I would do and the patient was told I was interviewing for a job.
Do check out free clinics in your area and volunteer time with them as an NP.Put in as much time as you can with this clinic while working your RN job.Let them know you are a new NP and have not secured a NP job but want to not loose the skills you have already while gaining new skills with them.You will find a place that will teach and work with you while you search for an NP job.Be sure and take your time with the clinic seriously since most places consider this NP experience.I would advise that you do this for 3 to 6 months if possible before using them on your resume.Learn as much as you can.When you go for a job interview for a job you like,agree to low pay for the curve of being a new NP or agree to learning the Job for 4 weeks and then stepping into the role.These I tips I received from others who used them to secure great jobs.Remember,the only thing standing between you and your ideal job is experience.That's it.Nothing more.Goodluck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.