Dermatology nurse

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 79)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Leah in Madison, Wisconsin

76 months ago

JoIn Rockford..OMG...Why ..OH Why..are you still.. a nurse..if you hate what your do and the importance behind it >? Why do you hate it so..much? I also was wondering since I just recieved my CNA and did exceptionally well and would like to work only in a docotors office, would it be wise to now..after CNA to go and get a CMA and then LPN or.. to go for LPN and forget CMA. Nowadays it seems the more on your resume the better. I live in WI and some clinical director posted a blog that said in WI.LPNS, CNAs and CMAs get hired most and first to cut cost of hiring a RN.Please help me out here. I need to pay my way and support myself and I dont think CNA will do it through RN school. Quite a few LPNS said they are making 20.00 and hour and more. I also.. doubt a CNA will be hirable in a doctors office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

GOING TO SCHOOL TO BE A RN in Fort Worth, Texas

69 months ago

YES I HEAR AND READ ALL OF YOUR POSTS UP HERE AND NOW A DAYS THE ONLY THING THAT YOU CAN DO TO MAKE A LIVING IS TO BECOME A WORKER IN THE MEDICAL FIELD!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

COCO45 in Atlanta, Georgia

68 months ago

I LIVE IN ATLANTA,GA..DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT SCHOOL I SHOULD ATTEND TO BECOME A DERMATOLOGY NURSE OR WHAT I SHOULD FOCUS ON TO BE IN THAT FIELD..IM 28YRS OLD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Fort Wayne, Indiana

67 months ago

jane smith in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I have been a BSN, RN for 6 years. I have wanted to
work in a dermatologist office for a long time. I have
been unable to find a job. Doctor's offices hire either
MA or LPN's. If this is what you want to do. Just become a
MA or LPN. If they do hire a BSN RN it is to be the office
manager. I went in to nursing to be a nurse not run an office.

I thought ur post was helpful. I was considering the same. I wanted to work for a DERM, but I don't want to be an LPN or MA you know. I want to be an RN and then continue on. I am currently taking Dental Hygiene. I hope to continue on to be a PA. Do DERM's hire PA's or even NP for that matter? I want to go in the right direction. Should I stay a DH and go on to PA or switch to Nursing and go on to NP. Also, I do have my CNA lic. do they hire them for anything at all? Thanks, Liz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Meg in Sudbury, Massachusetts

67 months ago

Liz in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: I thought ur post was helpful. I was considering the same. I wanted to work for a DERM, but I don't want to be an LPN or MA you know. I want to be an RN and then continue on. I am currently taking Dental Hygiene. I hope to continue on to be a PA. Do DERM's hire PA's or even NP for that matter? I want to go in the right direction. Should I stay a DH and go on to PA or switch to Nursing and go on to NP. Also, I do have my CNA lic. do they hire them for anything at all? Thanks, Liz

Hi - am an RN for 17 years and want to break into dermatology field, but am finding also that offices of derm's and plastics only hire PA's, medical techs or maybe LPN. It's truly discouraging. Any tips out there? I really don't want to work in a burn unit but I understand the wound-care route.
HELP!!!! Thanks, M

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Fairfax, Virginia

67 months ago

One reason for all those jobs in the health care field (especially in certain regions), is that few people want to do them for very long. Hence, lots of openings. I was fooled by the lure of job security by seeing all those Nursing jobs out there. Tough, tough job - in many ways pretty horrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

derm nurse in Melrose, Massachusetts

64 months ago

jane smith in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I have been a BSN, RN for 6 years. I have wanted to
work in a dermatologist office for a long time. I have
been unable to find a job. Doctor's offices hire either
MA or LPN's. If this is what you want to do. Just become a
MA or LPN. If they do hire a BSN RN it is to be the office
manager. I went in to nursing to be a nurse not run an office.

Yes you are correct, I worked as a derm nurse (LPN) for many years. I was told they could only keep LPNs and MA , they cannot afford to hire RN as derm nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

RNKM in Woburn, Massachusetts

64 months ago

I think the truth is the derm MD's don't want to pay for an RN, even though they can certainly afford to pay for one. One Botox injection can cost $500, out of pocket - no insurance involved. And think about how many they do in a week....They can't pay an office RN $ 30 an hour? Give me a break.
If they were really savvy, they would train the RN's to do more injectables and peels, therefore making them more money as they did other visits. An RN - a good RN - has assessment skills others don't possess. Too bad the MD's are essentially just greedy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NELA in Dallas, Texas

64 months ago

i want to be a nurse, but im so lost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bs591

64 months ago

Hello, I am an RN but I have not worked in the nursing field for several years. After graduating from high school I earned a technical degree in OR and worked in surgery for several while completing my RN degree. After starting family I worked in community mental health for 10 years. In early 90's government implemented DRG's and the facility I worked for closed inpatient unit. Since then I have started a business but want to get back into nursing. Recently I completed an RN Refresher course but am having difficulty finding a job. Seems all want recent experience. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

justina2320 in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

I just graduated with my nursing degree in December 08. Took the boards and passed but have been looking for my first job for two months. You hear all the time about the nursing shortage but all employers want in these bad economic times are experienced nurses. I am soooo frustrated with job hunting. I thought nursing school was bad and studying for the boards but I never thought finding a job would be this difficult. Any suggestions??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

63 months ago

Keep trying and widen your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pranu in Ashburn, Virginia

61 months ago

Milda in Brooklyn, New York said: I have been working in a dermatology office for the past year and I love it. It is a great area to work as a nurse and your right. Once you are a nurse you can go down many different avenues. Good luck in school.

what do i have to do in college to become a dermatology nurse? i just graduated highschool and i want to do what you are doing, work in Brooklyn :) I am so confused on what i should be doing right now, please help me! Are you a nurse aswell?

Pam in San Rafael, California

61 months ago

I am an RN and have been working in a derm office for 3 years. Derms in many states utilize CMA's and LPN's because it is more affordable than hiring an RN. I work in California where you have to be at least an RN to run lasers. RN's are also licensed here to do injectables and Botox. The office that I work in is both medical and cosmetic so I get to enjoy the hands on, slightly more traditional nursing of the medical side but I am profitable for the cosmetic side because I'm licensed to do things that an medical assistant can't. To all of you who are frustrated with lack of RN positions in derm offices, are you willing to relocate to an area that requires RNs to do certain procedures? Another route to go would be to get an NP and then specialize in derm. There is a new Dermatology Nurse Practicioner certification that is out for people who've already earned their NP. I recently because Dermatology Nurse Certified - I'm an RN, not NP. I recomend checking out the dermatology nurse association website- www.dnanurse.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

SRiker in Taunton, Massachusetts

59 months ago

I'm a 25 yr. old esthetician working in a day spa who just started an RN program but all I keep hearing is that nursing careers are few and far between these days and I worry I will finish school and I will not be able to find a job. Also my dream would be to work in a derms office but that dosen't seem like much of a possibility either. Should I risk all this time, and lets face it, tons of money to not get the job I truely desire?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Stockton, California

59 months ago

SRiker in Taunton, Massachusetts said: I'm a 25 yr. old esthetician working in a day spa who just started an RN program but all I keep hearing is that nursing careers are few and far between these days and I worry I will finish school and I will not be able to find a job. Also my dream would be to work in a derms office but that dosen't seem like much of a possibility either. Should I risk all this time, and lets face it, tons of money to not get the job I truely desire?

Why don't you do a little research. Try calling the Dermatologists in your area and ask if they have any RN's working in their office. It might help you make an informed decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Norma in Oakland, California

58 months ago

mike said: does anyone know what nursing program would except random people in the bay area, california. It's so hard getting accepted to one, it's ridiculous, you'd think I was trying to be a doctor with all the white hair growing on my head and i'm only 20.

thank you.

I totally agree with you..your post was written 23mths ago...what has go on in between. You get into nursing school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Faith in Acton, Massachusetts

58 months ago

Pam in San Rafael, California said: I am an RN and have been working in a derm office for 3 years. Derms in many states utilize CMA's and LPN's because it is more affordable than hiring an RN. I work in California where you have to be at least an RN to run lasers. RN's are also licensed here to do injectables and Botox. The office that I work in is both medical and cosmetic so I get to enjoy the hands on, slightly more traditional nursing of the medical side but I am profitable for the cosmetic side because I'm licensed to do things that an medical assistant can't. To all of you who are frustrated with lack of RN positions in derm offices, are you willing to relocate to an area that requires RNs to do certain procedures? Another route to go would be to get an NP and then specialize in derm. There is a new Dermatology Nurse Practicioner certification that is out for people who've already earned their NP. I recently because Dermatology Nurse Certified - I'm an RN, not NP. I recomend checking out the dermatology nurse association website- www.dnanurse.org

Hi Pam, thank you for the information. I found it really useful and encourage. I will be a nurse student in January 2010, and I am interested in working in a derm office. After reading many negative views about how hard it is to get a nurse job in a derm offices, does make me worried a bit. But your input gives me a light. I am living in MA now. When I finish my school 2 years later, I might move to CA. Can you give me a suggestion where to get a laser or Botox license? Thanks a lot!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pam Clayborn in San Rafael, California

58 months ago

At least in California, there is no special license to do lasers or Botox above and beyond your RN license.

Ana in Deltona, Florida

57 months ago

meredith in Collierville, Tennessee said: i am an aesthetician currently working at a day spa. i have always wanted to work in a derm office practicing deeper peels,laser,injections etc... i feel like i am about to reach my maximum potential and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as of what to do or what to persue

I too am an esthetician wanting to break into a derm office. From what I have seen it seems like they hire mostly nurses or medical estheticians.

Michelle Merritt Gallien in Sarasota, Florida

57 months ago

Hi I am an RN who loves skin care. As you all know Skin Is Your Largest Organ.
You must take care of it From the inside out. I have just joined a company whose skin care products are from Paris and made from the finest botanicals in Europe. The Company just launched in the States in January. I am making more than I do as a Nurse..I am working Smarter and Not Harder now. I know why estheticians want to be RN's and Why RN's want to be estheticians!! Estheticians want the money and RN's want a life!
check out www.votrevu.com/michellegallien

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ana in Deltona, Florida

57 months ago

meredith in Collierville, Tennessee said: i am an aesthetician currently working at a day spa. i have always wanted to work in a derm office practicing deeper peels,laser,injections etc... i feel like i am about to reach my maximum potential and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as of what to do or what to persue

I too am an esthetician wanting to break into a derm office. From what I have seen it seems like they hire mostly nurses or medical estheticians.

Ana in Deltona, Florida

57 months ago

are you implying that as an esthetician you have the abiltiy to make more money selling your new line of skincare, than working for a dermatologist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

morgan,ms in Greenville, Mississippi

57 months ago

RNKM in Woburn, Massachusetts said: I think the truth is the derm MD's don't want to pay for an RN, even though they can certainly afford to pay for one. One Botox injection can cost $500, out of pocket - no insurance involved. And think about how many they do in a week....They can't pay an office RN $ 30 an hour? Give me a break.
If they were really savvy, they would train the RN's to do more injectables and peels, therefore making them more money as they did other visits. An RN - a good RN - has assessment skills others don't possess. Too bad the MD's are essentially just greedy.

i AGREE AND I AM A NP WITH SP0ECIAL CERTIFICATION IN BOTOX AND DERMAL FILLER CERTIFICATION AND STILL CANNOT DO THE PROCEDURE UNLESS I HAVE A MD TO SIGN A LETTER SAYING IT OK EVENTHOUGH MY BON OF NURSING HAS APPROVED THE PROCEDURES. AND I CARRY MY OWN MALPRACTICE INSURANCE!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Gee in Orange, California

56 months ago

Liz in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: I thought ur post was helpful. I was considering the same. I wanted to work for a DERM, but I don't want to be an LPN or MA you know. I want to be an RN and then continue on. I am currently taking Dental Hygiene. I hope to continue on to be a PA. Do DERM's hire PA's or even NP for that matter? I want to go in the right direction. Should I stay a DH and go on to PA or switch to Nursing and go on to NP. Also, I do have my CNA lic. do they hire them for anything at all? Thanks, Liz

If you want to be PA, you are just doing fine and stay as DH. Going for nursing, then NP or PA is just a waste of more time, money, and effort.

maritza leon in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

56 months ago

Etta in Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee said: I,m a 42 years old cosmetologist been in this field for 20 years and decided to fulfull my dream of becoming a nurse. I will be finishing my prerequisite starting this fall and will be applying for the nursing program next fall, since being familar with skin, hair and nails I through about dermatology nursing. Nursing has so many avenues that you can go into is anyone familar with this area of nursing.

That sound so interesting.I am a registered nurse.I have been in nursing 11 years
now and i always have been very interested in skin care.I am thinking to go to school and i get a diploma in paramedical advance program.Do you think this is what i need to become a dermatoly nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ana in Deltona, Florida

56 months ago

I too have been in the skin care field over 20ys with spa and retail experience mostly. Would love to work for dermatologist/plastic surgeon. I have no medical experience however. How do I manage to get a job with a doctor if they will not hire unless with medical experience? Also, do they expect you to get botox, etc. to look younger? Ana in Deltona, Fl.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Saint Louis, Missouri

55 months ago

I find everyone's comments interesting, somewhat helpful, but truthfully a bit depressing. I have been a Registered Nurse for 14 years. I have developed a great interest in working in the derm/plastic surgeon/cosmetic surgeon/medical spa area. I am willing to pay out of my own pocket to go back to school to get my estheticians license as well as pay to get certified in lasers/botox etc. (national laser institute in Scottsdale,AZ). With all I have read I am VERY nervous about moving forward. I wonder if I will be able to get a job! I would welcome any advice fellow nurses or others already working in these areas could give. HELP!! Please. thanks!

arizonajo@comcast.net in Tucson, Arizona

54 months ago

justina2320 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I just graduated with my nursing degree in December 08. Took the boards and passed but have been looking for my first job for two months. You hear all the time about the nursing shortage but all employers want in these bad economic times are experienced nurses. I am soooo frustrated with job hunting. I thought nursing school was bad and studying for the boards but I never thought finding a job would be this difficult. Any suggestions??

Hang in there, baby. God has a plan for you. Maybe it is next month, or next year but CONGRATS on passing the boards!

Yes, there indeed is a shortage for nurses across the country, Doesn't it seem like everything is in "shortage" mode? Check the closest hospital an d get the best experience you could get by working in the E.R.

Good luck, I'll say an extra prayer for you. Be proud of yourself, girl. Mary Jo

arizonajo@comcast.net in Tucson, Arizona

54 months ago

prospectiveadmin in Greenfield, Indiana said: I've worked in healthcare for around 17 years and have neve heard of a "dermatology nurse".

Hey, it just means that your nursing is involved or specialized to dermatology, DUH. If you have been a nurse for 17 years and don't understand specializing and excelling in one particular area, I pray to the Lord I don't need your nursing skills when I need a nurse. Sounds like you are jealous of all the men and women nurses who provide care and patience with their patients. I wish you luck. And yes, dermatology nursing, is indeed an important practice, as we can find dermatological symptoms and provided preventative care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Robyn williams in Oak Ridge, New Jersey

54 months ago

Becky in Fairfax, Virginia said: One reason for all those jobs in the health care field (especially in certain regions), is that few people want to do them for very long. Hence, lots of openings. I was fooled by the lure of job security by seeing all those Nursing jobs out there. Tough, tough job - in many ways pretty horrible.

I am so happy to see that real nurses are telling the real truth about what crap we go through every day...does anyone ever wonder why they say in nursing school (mine anyway in the 70's) that 8 out of 10 nurses will become impaired? Its the stress and burn out don't believe it? i didn't either, i was young and wanted to "help others" Now i work in alcohol and substance abuse with many RAMP nurses and physicians too who are in recovery. its an epidemic and thats why the RAMP program was created... we were losing too many good people to the job of "caring for others" your own life is sucked out of you to the point that nothing is left to give to yourself or your family. Be wise if you go into the nursing field, LEARN TO SAY NO EARLY, it will save your life and career. good Luck nurses, love all of you for wanting to still try to make a difference. I work in psych and substance abuse, even in med/surg you will find the same kind of patient... i started in med/surg to Oncology to psych and then substance abuse.... everyone, including the professionals are under the influence of something either legally or not....think about it.... now thats a field to comsider going into, doesn't pay very well, not one of the "cared about diseases' like cancer, diabetes and heart conditions right?

stace in Amherst, Ohio

53 months ago

Etta in Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee said: I,m a 42 years old cosmetologist been in this field for 20 years and decided to fulfull my dream of becoming a nurse. I will be finishing my prerequisite starting this fall and will be applying for the nursing program next fall, since being familar with skin, hair and nails I through about dermatology nursing. Nursing has so many avenues that you can go into is anyone familar with this area of nursing.

I am a new grad as of December and I am also a cosmetologist who has always been interested in skincare and dermatology.I am currently searching for jobs as well- I will keep you posted on what I am finding to be available in that field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stace in Amherst, Ohio

53 months ago

jackie in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I was in a similar situation, as nursing being a second career. I found allnurses.com to be a wonderful resource of support and information for me. Their Nursing Student section is amazing: allnurses.com/forums/f196/

Hope that helps

Are you still doing nursing and cosmetology both? I am a new grad and interested in finding something in the skincare field.I have just begun looking for a prn job because I really love my cosmetology job! I would appreciate any suggestions you have for me ! Thank you!

eaustin@hotmail.com in Greenbelt, Maryland

53 months ago

Unfortunately as a new grad, no one is going to hire you PRN. Most PRN positions require at least 2 years of nursing experience. Then dependent upon what your experience is in, will you be able to find PRN work. And in order to work in a Dermatology office or in some type of skincare area, you need to have worked in that field (say in a hospital) for at least 2000 nursing hours. And more then likely they will want you to be a DCN( Dermatology Certified Nurse), which is an exam that you have to pass in order to become certified. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

vonny in Medan, Indonesia

53 months ago

I'm an aesthetician and looking forward for dermatology nursing career. But i prefer to do online study. anyone can give me some references, please?
my email is vonny.wyllie@gmail.com

roseisarose in Los Angeles, California

53 months ago

It's a geographical issue! You do have Dermatologists, don't you?

vonny in Medan, Indonesia

53 months ago

well, i don't have Dermatologist. Is it needed for nurse?
what i've been done is beauty aesthetic and get a Diploma in Beauty Therapist. I'm the owner of the beauty salon , so i need to increase my qualification especially in skin care and healthy diet.
what can i do??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

poohpop in Mansfield, Georgia

51 months ago

never new there was a such thing as a dermatologist nurse!!!!!!

poohpop in Mansfield, Georgia

51 months ago

i am very confused about what dermotologist nurse is !!!!!

student doctor in San Jose, California

51 months ago

You can become a derm PA from what I have seen. I went into an office for an appt and it was a PA, not the dermatologist who saw me. As for docs being too greedy to hire RNs for their office, consider going to school at least twice as long as a nurse, working harder to get into med school, then very competitive residencies, owing $100- $400k in loans, paying malpractice insurance ($20 to 40k and up to $260k a year in some specialties), paying a lease, receptionist, MA, etc... why would they want to fork over another $40-$100k a year for a nurse? You're not going to do any of the cool stuff unless you are the doc or PA. You won't change anyone's life either in an office type setting. You WOULD if you were a nurse in a burn unit though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dermnurse in Boston, Massachusetts

51 months ago

student doctor in San Jose, California said: You can become a derm PA from what I have seen. I went into an office for an appt and it was a PA, not the dermatologist who saw me. As for docs being too greedy to hire RNs for their office, consider going to school at least twice as long as a nurse, working harder to get into med school, then very competitive residencies, owing $100- $400k in loans, paying malpractice insurance ($20 to 40k and up to $260k a year in some specialties), paying a lease, receptionist, MA, etc... why would they want to fork over another $40-$100k a year for a nurse? You're not going to do any of the cool stuff unless you are the doc or PA. You won't change anyone's life either in an office type setting. You WOULD if you were a nurse in a burn unit though.

There are many capable Nurse Practitioners whose specialty is Dermatology. PA is not the only way to advance one's practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

IBRAHIM in Palma, Spain

50 months ago

I remedy for the dermatitis

I give free remedy for the dermatitis.It is totally natural. Send a message to sanbenito10@hotmail.com, (subject:dermatitis) and I will send a message with the remedy free

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sandy122 in marlton, New Jersey

50 months ago

Ok...im a single mother of 2 boys & need to follow a career choice ive always had interest in....skin care. Ive always wanted to work in a dermatologist office.I read to become a PA it is a 26month program...but it also says this is usually a career move for people that have had previous experience in the medical field. Am I able to become a PA with no prior experience...will i be accepted into a program?? I need some guidence...please. TY

student doctor in Marysville, Washington

50 months ago

There is a need for PAs and I hear that this medical experience prereq thing may become less of an issue do to this need. But since it still is an issue, you can get your way in as a phlebotomist - that's either 2 quarters or a semester at the community colleges here in WA. Once you do that, and work for a while making $12 or $15 an hour here in Washington state, you can try to support your family for a while doing that while gaining "medical" experience. When I did the training the prerequisites were just a strong desire to do phlebotomy and make it a possible career.

There's no quick way into medicine, and to me it seems almost harder to become a PA. By the time you finish your required classes to get in you've probably got the prereqs for medical school - though, getting a dermatology residency is nearly impossible for new grad Doctors, so it might be for PAs as well... something to keep in mind. You have to go into that to practice MEDICINE too, by the way, because if you don't get to work with skin you may not be happy and will have over $100k in debt.

The other option is to become an esthetician, but you'll most likely end up working at a chain "beauty" place for a bunch of skeezy people. They have an MD overseer somewhere in a different state, and have crappy machines to use (though they'll call it state of the art), and work with used car sales type of people. That's a cosmetic type of dermatology. You may get luck and work for a plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist, but they may prefer a nurse.

All this said, you need to know what kind of work you want to do in derm - every day crusty skin and warts, or facial peels and laser hair removal. There are a few ways in, but they are hard to do. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of those beauty facilities, but there may be some decent ones around if you don't go into the mall...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

td in Boston, Massachusetts

48 months ago

Milda in Brooklyn, New York said: I have been working in a dermatology office for the past year and I love it. It is a great area to work as a nurse and your right. Once you are a nurse you can go down many different avenues. Good luck in school.

I am going to be a dermatology nurse and was wondering what to you do throughout your day....

BSN2 in Dearborn, Michigan

47 months ago

I am a proud Registered Nurse, and it REALLY BOTHERS ME WHEN PEOPLE ATTEMPT TO PURSUE THIS FIELD FOR THE MONEY! Please if your heart is not unselfish, and you are not willing and ready to help do for those what they can not do for themselves. DO NOT and I REPEAT DO NOT BECOME ANY TYPE OF NURSE. People are sick & ill as it is! No one on their death bed needs to be bothered with someone who views their position as a "trade or just a job". It is a career that requires scientific knowledge & clinical expertise. I'm so sick of everybody wanting to be a darn nurse saturating the field w/ Nurse Hatchett's while us good nurses struggle to find jobs..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Dolly in Township Of Washington, New Jersey

45 months ago

Jo in Rockford, Illinois said: First of all....Are you sure you want to be a nurse? It is truly a horrible profession. I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT if you are convinced you want to be a nurse, the try Santa Rosa Junior College in Santa Rosa. They have a great program and it is not very difficult to get in. Good luck to you!

Hmmmm...you don't state why you hate being a nurse...maybe what you hate, someone else would love and vice versa. Can you elaborate?

45 months ago

You should probably do some research and contact dermatologists in your area. I became an esthetician 11 years ago and where I live derms hire us...in fact I'm thinking of doing the same as you, NP probably. I do know that I have made more than nurses in esthetics...but NJ/NY is very competitive and has an abundance of med spas...call and do research first.

45 months ago

BSN2 in Dearborn, Michigan said: I am a proud Registered Nurse, and it REALLY BOTHERS ME WHEN PEOPLE ATTEMPT TO PURSUE THIS FIELD FOR THE MONEY! Please if your heart is not unselfish, and you are not willing and ready to help do for those what they can not do for themselves. DO NOT and I REPEAT DO NOT BECOME ANY TYPE OF NURSE. People are sick & ill as it is! No one on their death bed needs to be bothered with someone who views their position as a "trade or just a job". It is a career that requires scientific knowledge & clinical expertise. I'm so sick of everybody wanting to be a darn nurse saturating the field w/ Nurse Hatchett's while us good nurses struggle to find jobs..

Good for you! You tell them!

45 months ago

Faith in Acton, Massachusetts said: Hi Pam, thank you for the information. I found it really useful and encourage. I will be a nurse student in January 2010, and I am interested in working in a derm office. After reading many negative views about how hard it is to get a nurse job in a derm offices, does make me worried a bit. But your input gives me a light. I am living in MA now. When I finish my school 2 years later, I might move to CA. Can you give me a suggestion where to get a laser or Botox license? Thanks a lot!!!

You can also do laser and peels with plastic surgeon's not just derms..I an a licensed esthetician and did deeper peels and laser for 6 years in med spa run by plastic surgeons...you gotta just network and get out there because many jobs aren't posted...good luck.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.