THE CON of BEING AN RN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 2414)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

cavitron in Hollywood, Florida

84 months ago

Hello,

I 'm a dental hygienist and it's very hard to find a job. I 'm seriously thinking about becoming a nurse. However, before I jump the gun , I just want to hear from different RN of the cons working in this field. I do not want to make the same mistake as I did before. Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (311) / No (90) Reply - Report abuse

ibflossing1 in hollywood, Florida

82 months ago

May I ask you what are you doing now since you left nursing?

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (52) Reply - Report abuse

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida

82 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: These were your words:

[QUOTE="magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida"] [W]hy are there so many RN jobs? I'll tell you why, the nurses are assigned a high patient load and a ton of paperwork. You never finish on time and you barely get any appreciation. What you get is the blame for everything that goes wrong and you get treated like crap most of the time. There is no nursing shortage. As you can see there is always a waiting list to get into nursing school.

Whereas the article blamed the nursing shortage on unavailability of training - something you did not or will not address. I'll go with the article. It is more persuasive because it cites facts and figures and you don't.

Nonsense comes with the territory of nearly all jobs anymore. I know; I worked for attorneys for more than eleven years. Good luck with your next career.

(corrected)

I've been working in the health field for over ten years and I'm still in it. So I know what I'm talking about. I just don't do nursing anymore. Good luck to you if you decide to do nursing. You never know, you may just like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (84) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Allen, Texas

77 months ago

I'm an RN and have been one for 4 years now. The thing about nursing is that you will always have stability and flexabiltiy with your job. There are also so many different career paths you can take in nursing. You can also have a family and work. Yes it can be a very fast paced, high stress environment, where the RN is responsible for the collaboration of doctors, OT, PT, RT and PCT's. However it can also be the most rewarding job if you are doing it because you love to help others. So if the number one reason you want to become a nurse is because of your compassion and want to care for people the I say you should go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (167) / No (64) Reply - Report abuse

J Bach in Jackson, Michigan

76 months ago

No one wants to hear the truth when they ask opinions about going into nursing.

See for yourself and check back with us.

Handling 8 or more patients is a piece of cake. You will love it. Invest your money and time and see for yourself because people must simply be lying about conditions in nursing. There is absolutley nothing wrong with trying to manage and prioritize several different issues at hand every minute of the day.....it's just like any other job. Sure....and I'll have what she's smokin'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (183) / No (75) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

"One day,they too will be a NUMBER"

I really never thought about that.....one day they will be a patient in this mess they created.

All I can hope is that the new generation of nurses has the energy and power to change things for the safety of the patients.

It is simply not right the way things are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (116) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

All of these other "classes" for legal nurse consulting and more lead people on into believing there are glorious money making jobs out there. Most legal nurse consultants work in hospitals and TRY to pick up the other. There isn't a big market for that. Don't believe everything you hear or read. When you read posts like Candice's you have to decide if you are like her. There are people that are gluttens for punishment out there. Can you feel the way she does about something so aweful? You have to ask yourself.

Chances are that you will regret the decision.
www.ihatenursing.com

Don't let them kid you that it is just like any other job. You are messing with people's lives, their safety and their demanding personalities. You have no clue. You can't even begin to imagine how people can be until you are a nurse (or a cop).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (118) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

deborah in Columbia, South Carolina

75 months ago

J Bach in Jackson, Michigan said: thevalueofhumanlife.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately, with the way nursing is today you become part of a system that makes you either guilty of participating in unsafe care or black-balled for speaking up about it.

Conditions are BAD! Nurses are overworked and unappreciated. It is very hard to train to do a job that your employers prevent you from doing in order for them to profit. Managers are more concerned about keeping their job and paycheck and have no loyalties to you.

Stay away from patient care and hospitals. They brought this shortage of nurses on themselves. Let them figure it out.

You will never understand how bad it is until you are in it. Even those people that tell you of all the rewards are not being honest about the intense demands. It is multi-tasking in a sense that you can never imagine....pushing humans beyond reasonable limits.

Speaking up will send you to the unemployment line where they will continue to tarnish your reputation.

Consider yourself warned.

i think this sums up the whole thing excellently!!!!! every point true, well established, and reasonable. i regret my choice as an lpn and i understand the rn as in the sense of dilema. we do the same things 99% of the time, but the pay isn't something you can count on to live. you will be one of the working poor. at least for now. there are only so many dollars in the healthcare system pocket, and nurses are not getting the same slice nearly as much as others. at least if i had a 4 year degree, i might be able to find a suitable job. i have a minor health issue, and with that could go out of patient care. too late now. can't do school either.
i think this comment above says it all, and i do not think it selfish to say, for once ,or for at last, let them figure it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

deborah in Columbia, South Carolina said: i think this sums up the whole thing excellently!!!!! every point true, well established, and reasonable. i regret my choice as an lpn and i understand the rn as in the sense of dilema. we do the same things 99% of the time, but the pay isn't something you can count on to live. you will be one of the working poor. at least for now. there are only so many dollars in the healthcare system pocket, and nurses are not getting the same slice nearly as much as others. at least if i had a 4 year degree, i might be able to find a suitable job. i have a minor health issue, and with that could go out of patient care. too late now. can't do school either.
i think this comment above says it all, and i do not think it selfish to say, for once ,or for at last, let them figure it out.

At the bottom of this blog....

thevalueofhumanlife.blogspot.com/

is a link to a petition for LPN's, read it and sign it if you agree. There is another petition at the top in the left hand column for the nursing shortage. Check that out and sign it as well, if you agree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

reba in Fort Thomas, Kentucky

75 months ago

I am an LPN. I work with as many as 30 patients at a time. The only thing I cannot due in my position is push IV meds. I work so hard and watch our RN's walk around and "supervise". Most of the time I don't even see them or know what they are doing. I am going to school for my RN right now and I can say I am looking forward to better pay for more respect and less patient load. I believe my oportunities are going to sore. I have RN's come to me for advice or help at times. An LPN is a nurse period. An LPN that keeps up with clinical skills and latest information is no less qualified. I carry a much larger load and feel I am better prepared for time management and prioritization. Being an aide and then an LPN will help me to be a better RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (54) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Klamath Falls, Oregon

75 months ago

I am a retired RN. I retired almost 3 years ago after 41 years in the field-mostly ICU (adults and children) and surgery. Did lots of stuff including critical care education and training CNA's-opted out of bedside for 5 years and went into the insurance buisiness.
I retired because I was just plain tired. No matter where you work, it is never going to be a 9-5 job. You do have to take a lot, but you still do not have to take as much as that poor helpless person lying in that hospital bed. I feel for them still. If I had my choice as a patient, I would want a smart competent nurse at my bedside instead of a distant out of touch doctor.
I wish all newcomers in the field the very best and simulateneously-my condolences. It is a great profession-interesting, challenging, rewarding and it needs smart people to do it. Best of luck, and may you enjoy it when it is good-and believe me, it can be very very good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (94) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Yeah I said it. in Hilliard, Ohio

75 months ago

I am a male registered nurse 26 years old, and have been an ICU RN for 4 years. Boy, what a miserable way to earn a living. As for J Bach's comment: "Not to mention.....it is a women's field and women are evil to eachother," this couldn't be more true, except they are evil to men too (you have to tread lightly if you are a man or if your face is youthful). I am thinking about going to medical school just to repay nurses for the way they've treated me. They have problems with their husbands, they bring it to work, etc. Stressed, fearful, zombies, all true, but mostly not because of the workload, but because of the way co-workers treat eachother and the politics. And any place that is "cush" is not any place you would want to work because it's probably so backwards your skills might stagnate. If you want to move on, you better have connections because recommendations involve politics, and are not necessarily merit-based, which also applies even to just leaving one hospital and going to another. Teaching is a joke post-grad. Anything you don't know is a weapon for "knowledgeable" nurses with "BNS" (Bitter Nurse Syndrome)to use against you.
As for the difficulty and "know-it-all new grads", I disagree with J Bach. Nursing is not rocket science, and after 4 years in various ICUs at many hospitals as a traveller, I feel I have plateaud and am bored, but I guess it would be like that in any profession, even medicine (you do 5000 bowel resections, whats another?) Older nurses put too much weight on their 'experience' when it's really just their fault they didn't move on. I like travelling because in addition to good pay, it's non commital and I can leave whenever I'm fed up. However, the downside is you don't get the comfort zone that you get as a staff nurse(and staff like to treat travellers poorly for a variety of reasons), so basically there is no ideal situation.
Nurses are the "whipping boy" of the health care profession, don't be a sucker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (243) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Yeah, you said it.

Another very well said statement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Brooklyn, New York

75 months ago

Carole RN in Royal Oak, Michigan said: I am an RN, RRT in Michigan. I busted my butt to become a RN as I was working as an RRT and I am so very sorry I wasted my time. I agree with you 100%, nursing is just a beating mentally and physically. Here in MI, all that is offered is variable shifts or contingent with no benefits. I work in critical care, and your load is 5 pts. No equip, no help, no breaks, just work like a dog and, yes, take the blame for everything. How sorry I am.

Hello,

What would you have rather of been? Do you think you would have a better career as a PT or occupational therapist? Nursing is a lot less school and starting salary is very good as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Candice in Lincoln, Nebraska

75 months ago

Looking into nursing? Community colleges are MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE, however, the wait lists can be long. My advice? Check the pass rate of the universities that you are considering. (If a BSN is the route of choice.) "Pass rate" is the number of graduates that pass the state board of nursing exam on the first attempt. (Which of course, is the only way a graduate of nursing school can work as a nurse...by passing the state exam.) Also, network. Talk to other nurses, students, people that have attended the schools you are considering. Once you decide on the school, get thyself to the financial aid office and ask for the scholarships that the school offers. (Some schools are really good about informing students of community scholarships, too.) You can also look online- but I have had no luck, as I don't know anyone who has actually received monies this way. I have no doubt some of the online scholarship programs are valid, I just can't recommend any at this time. Pre-reqs vary from school to school...In my experience, private universities/colleges generally have more--due to graduation requirements for that particular school (ie: religion courses). State universities have a few more than community colleges. So, that time span will vary from 1-2 years, give or take. (Although, if you already have some of the basics, should be less..) One can usually expect to have to take their colleges requirements, along with Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology, Nutrition, Sociology, Psychology x 2, English x2, College Algebra, Statistics...to name a few. So, another requirement for some nursing programs, is becoming a certified nursing assistant. THIS HELPS IMMEASURABLY, in my opinion. You are ahead of the class if you are comfortable with the basics. Becoming a CNA will allow you to apply at home health agencies, nursing homes, long term care facilities, rehab hospitals, and acute care hospitals.
PLEASE SEE MY NEXT POST

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Once a student AND a CNA, you will then get a wage increase. (at the hospitals anyway) And you have heard right, some hospitals will give you scholarships. I received on from my place of employment. I see you live in Kearney? Creighton has an off campus program...Not sure of all the details though. I went to CCC in GI and worked in Maternal Child at St Francis while in nursing school. Let me know if I can help otherwise! Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

niharet in Gainesville, Florida said: Sorry for you all. I have been an ICU/CICU/ED nurse for 30 years. Has it been hard? Yes. Am I proud? Yes. I never wanted to do "easy" nursing--I've always gravitated to the hardest thing. I work 3 12's a week, more if I want. Did 70 grand last year. I married twice, when it sucks, get out. Don't bring your psych problems to work. Guys, sorry, they don't work as hard and don't like doing the baths, iv tubing changes, other stuff below what they think they are worth. Most young folks think they should make a living playing on the computer, and all this pt care is below them too. You have to be smart, work hard, and try hard every day. If you think you will make this much money doing something else, go back to school. Unfortunately, we have enough 2 year nurse ARNPS.

Hi niharet!! You bet this career is hard--THATS WHY WE LOVE IT!
Wish I could work with you! You hold a wealth of knowledge! I have the utmost respect for your hard work. Thank you for your service!
Candice (a "newbie" of 7 years ;) )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Lexington, Kentucky

75 months ago

I have been an RN for 8 years and work in a local ER. That is where I started fresh out of school. I had a BS in Health Care Administration before nursing. Going back to school was one of the best things I have ever done. You can save lives and truly make positive impacts on people's lives. True, many times, you are under-appreciated by patients, but then you touch so many lives....others give you the true respect you deserve and it makes it worthwhile. Those not getting respect of their doctors are working with the wrong doctors. I say go for it!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

75 months ago

"What would you have rather of been?" That is a hard question to answer at this point. I am trying to figure that out desperately at this point. Being in my 40's and having invested near 20 years into this field, it makes it hard. I picked it because I felt I was always taking care of people any way and it was the quickest degree to take care of my kids as a single mom. It provided me with the means to raise my kids alone since the courts do not help you get child support and their dad was a dead beat. But, the truth of the matter is that it is abusive and traumatizing. You are taking a risk investing into nursing. Are you going to become the person in the last few posts that say "go for it" or are you going to be one of the people that regrets it. Even the nurses that "love nursing" may exhibit burn out. I have worked side by side with people that speak of nursing the way some have here. Many of those are burned out and evil and deny it. They are mean and nasty to new nurses and co-workers. They complain. They have unhappy home lives, etc. They bring their miserable attitudes to work. They are in denial that they are miserable and negative. They are often the cause of other nurses leaving or feeling so terrible about nursing. "Saving lives", "appreciated by patients" - it's not all that. It is not that glorious unless you are actually saving a life in an emergent situation - ER, ICU, Code, etc. Appreciation is a small percentage of those that you care for. You aren't going to be in any parades or receive rewards. It comes from WITHIN you. That's the flower version of nursing.....more.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (116) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

75 months ago

Possibly the wounds smell because nurses don't have the time to take care of patients properly and they were rarely done right. Maybe the time that nurses don't have is the reason the wounds smell. Maybe not. Can guarantee you that with all the dressing changes needed, not everyone is doing them right. Are you going to save this guys life? Probably not, you know he will die and there is NOTHING you can do about it. You still need to clean the poop and change those dressings when they poop on them or get saturated through. In those two hours, did you turn any patients? Your charting has hourly slots that you have to sign stating that you rounded on each patient and offered them water, food, repositioning and toileting. Did you? You have at least 5 patients and mostly you have 9-11 or more. Two hours on two patients. Got a calculator? How many patients do you have on your assignment that you didn't get to EARN APPRECIATION on by 10pm? You still have meds to pass. Bet at least one of your patients can only take one pill at a time or you have to crush them and put them in something and you might be at the bedside for 15-30 minutes getting those pills in that patient. Or you hand the pills to the patient in their med cup and they go to put them in their hand to take them and drop them all over. Now you have to FIND them so a nurse following you doesn't find them and write you up. Depending on where they land, you now have to replace them. Maybe you don't have replacements. Now you have to contact pharmacy to replace them. Maybe they are busy and they don't come to you and after an hour or so you have to contact them again. Don't think for one minute you are sitting waiting to locate those pills. You WILL be busy. Hours fly by like seconds. Liking fast paced work doesn't make this job fun, glorious or rewarding. It makes it very stressful and concerning because you are concerned about doing something wrong, making a mistake, getting things done

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (224) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Oh, I want to mention, another position that I loved- I worked as an LPN for the American Red Cross. I worked in Blood Collections. (Sweetest people ever, the donors!) Great benefits. Great income. I worked there for 2 years--before I went back to RN school.
As an LPN, I worked in the jail, too. Crazy busy-AND I LOVED IT! (The inmates called me "the new boss"...) lol
I definetly wasn't. I just worked, as a good nurse does. ;) Correctional nursing takes a certain type of person, and is not for everyone. Although to date, It was one of my favorite jobs.
I loved working in Maternal Child as a nurse assistant. I worked in the NICU, pediatrics, mother/baby, gynecological care, and also floated as needed.
I have worked pediatric home care as an LPN and an RN. Some of my pediatric home care patients have trachs, some have tube feedings/meds, a few are vented. I get to care for these kiddos in their home to allow their parents a break/or work.
Awesome pay, too. This position allowed for total flexibility while I was in RN school (with the 3 children & full-time-college-student-stay-at-home-with-the boys husband of mine).
I still work with the same pedi home health company(along with my full time position) at a nationally known rehabilitation hospital.
I have been charge nurse (well, the only nurse on the floor, really) for 64+ patients and have learned time management quite well. I am fully aware of what I am capable of and when I need to delegate or ask for help. Again, my duty as a nurse to do so.
The reason one becomes a nurse may or may not lead to eternal happiness in the profession. The average person changes careers what, like 5 times in a lifetime?
Nursing is not exempt from that, I am sure.
If a person job shadows, researches, and educates themself before choosing, chances are better for longer life of happiness in the profession. Good luck. Again, I am always available if I can be of assistance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

hoping to be RN/BSN in Kearney, Nebraska

75 months ago

Candice in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Once a student AND a CNA, you will then get a wage increase. (at the hospitals anyway) And you have heard right, some hospitals will give you scholarships. I received on from my place of employment. I see you live in Kearney? Creighton has an off campus program...Not sure of all the details though. I went to CCC in GI and worked in Maternal Child at St Francis while in nursing school. Let me know if I can help otherwise! Good luck!!

Candice, thank you very much for the responses.
Yes I currently live in Kearney. can u give me some more info about off campus programs of the Creighton plz? I am hoping to start taking pre-reqs next semester along with my business classes. When I get done with my accounting bachelors degree I want to go for BSN. I am really hoping to find hospital which can sponsor me. Do u know any hospital which can offer full tuition reimbursement or scholarship in NE? If there are some, do they sponsor pre-req classes too?

thank you very much for incouragement. I really want to be a nurse like u who enjoy and takes pride on what she does.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Robert R in Bohemia, New York

75 months ago

cavitron in Miami, Florida said: Wow, I'm listenin ladies ad gentleman. Keep the truth coming. Thank you for not sugar coating the truth.

yes thank u i just got my nursing home administration licence and was thinkin of getting an RN licence to get me in the door

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Candice, if you know any nebraskan hospital or school which can sponsor me if I agree to work for them after being done with school under contract, could you let me know plz. I greatly appreciate your help. my email: uzfamrah@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I guess by "sponsor" you mean give you a scholarship? You will have to contact human resources at the hospital you are interesed in and ask about pay for nursing assistants, and if there is a pay incentive (to continue to work there as a nurse). Every hospital is different....The hospital I worked at is St Francis. (That was 8 years ago.) Let me know if you have another question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

75 months ago

Basically, you have to be an employee to get tuition reimbursement. It's that simple. Most hospitals offer some form of tuition reimbursement. It won't be the whole tuition, it is a set amount based on your job and earnings.

I did the same thing. Owed them 6 months of employment for some money. I don't even remember how much it was.

So what you do is ask about tuition reimbursement. They don't "sponsor" people. And you won't get all of your tuition paid either. It is usually about $1,000 to $2,000.

If you are a male, they were offering FREE scholarships for nursing programs due to the shortage. Contact your states nursing board and see if they know anything about that.

A lot of students go through FAFSA and make it a point to apply for grants. They aren't very much but the more you qualify for and get, it adds up. That can be very time consuming.

Basically, we are all footing the bill for the bulk of our own education. In the end, you will owe for it. Hope you really want it and like it. We see tons of newbies, especially men that want to get in this field and fly right through to administration or some glorious power job. Most of them can't get through the dirty butt cleaning steps on the way. Good luck, you will need it. As a matter of fact, your co-workers will pick up on your plan and as described before, women are evil in this profession. If you think you are too good to do the dirty work, you won't get past them. Statistics are starting to show that men in this field don't think they need to clean butts. There was a big rage to pull men into the field but it's a women's field and it seems they are changing that. I have worked with guys that claimed they were "moving on" and avoided all the hard and dirty work. They didn't make it. They were run off. Just a heads up. Be careful how you play the game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

75 months ago

Sorry, thought there was a male in this posting as well, just noticed it was Candice asking about "sponsoring." As far as I know that doesn't exist. See, hospitals screw their nursing staff over to make money, they aren't going to give away money to pay for any one's education. They do offer a small amount for tuition.

As I said earlier, be careful how you play the game, if you let everyone know you are passing through to administration, it could backfire on you. Especially if you give any impression that you don't have to do the hard, tedious dirty work along the way. Won't make much for allies and friends there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cavitron in Miami, Florida

75 months ago

that's what my professor told us,the exact same thing u said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stewart in Clinton Township, Michigan

75 months ago

Candice in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Sorry, I ran out of room. (Can you tell I am passionate about nursing? lol)
I would like to mention, I began LPN school when I was 20 and my son was 3 months old. I was working 24-36 hours a week (night shift), going to school full-time, and (exclusively) breastfeeding. I graduated in 2001. I then went back to school to finish my RN. My husband was also a full time student (and had been for the last 4+ years). We have 3 sons, and no other family around. I worked 30-50+ hours a week while attending full time for my RN. (This is difficult..and not reccomended. Our instructors cautioned us. The preference was for students NOT to work at all. However, I was able to maintain a 3.7 GPA. Unfortunately, I thrive on chaos. :) But a heads up that it is recommended to lighten your load while you are in classes.) Life was (and continues to be) very busy. But MY POINT IS, it can be done. If I can be of assistance, just let me know. Thank you.

At least someone is sticking up for nursing, nursing is great. Everyone sounds so bitter, get off your butt and find better jobs, and they'll be a new graduate nurse to take it from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (65) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Hey (hoping to be a nurse in Kearney), Bryan LGH (Lincoln) pays you $800-1,500/year while you are in school (without commitment). They also have other tution programs. I am not sure about St. Elizabeths in Lincoln. I applied for federal aid/grants with FAFSA and financial aid through state programs. I had my entire education paid for (and most of my living expenses). There is a scholarship in Nebraska called the "Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation" scholarship-Warren Buffetts wifes foundation. (Google it!!) I received that one and so did my husband. I also received a full PELL grant and Nebraska state grants through FAFSA. If you are a minority, there are MANY monies available. BUT, you must plan ahead. Scholarships have their own deadline. Talk to the financial aid office at the school of your choice. That is a good starting point...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Oh, wanted to mention, too-PELL grants and scholarships are FREE money. (You don't owe anything...)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Candice in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Oh, wanted to mention, too-PELL grants and scholarships are FREE money. (You don't owe anything...)

thank you Candice for the information,
I am an international student with F1 visa. I will google the ones u mentioned. U guys are great help. I greatly appreciate your help.

keep posting useful posts for new users

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

75 months ago

stewart in Clinton Township, Michigan said: At least someone is sticking up for nursing, nursing is great. Everyone sounds so bitter, get off your butt and find better jobs, and they'll be a new graduate nurse to take it from you.

Please. Spare me. So, why don't you just join up with your denial. Funny thing is the newer nurses are the most overwhelmed and we have found that men are lazy in this field. So take your daring antagonistic wise remark and climb aboard. THEN speak up. We have seen enough newbies like you with your denial. Truth is that when you people come looking for the CON's, you have no intention of HEARING a word. Then you always have to come off with some antagonistic comment like you did to PEEVE those that know. So, don't bother reading our comments and don't bother looking for advice or anything else. Do what the rest of us did - jump in with both feet and see for yourself. Then see how easy it is to CHANGE careers after 20 years invested. Big mouths like yours are a dime a dozen in this field. You might want to hold your tongue until you have all the experience and rights to flap it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (90) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

75 months ago

"nursing is great"

LMAO

You better start planning now how you are going to avoid wiping butts, cuz that's what most male nurses do and the rest of your co-workers are NOT scammed one bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

75 months ago

Candice in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Sorry, I ran out of room. (Can you tell I am passionate about nursing? lol)
I would like to mention, I began LPN school when I was 20 and my son was 3 months old. I was working 24-36 hours a week (night shift), going to school full-time, and (exclusively) breastfeeding. I graduated in 2001. I then went back to school to finish my RN. My husband was also a full time student (and had been for the last 4+ years). We have 3 sons, and no other family around. I worked 30-50+ hours a week while attending full time for my RN. (This is difficult..and not reccomended. Our instructors cautioned us. The preference was for students NOT to work at all. However, I was able to maintain a 3.7 GPA. Unfortunately, I thrive on chaos. :) But a heads up that it is recommended to lighten your load while you are in classes.) Life was (and continues to be) very busy. But MY POINT IS, it can be done. If I can be of assistance, just let me know. Thank you.

Thanks for all of your encouraging words you wrote above. It is glad to see someone who is passionate about what they are doing. You find so many people who complain about their jobs, and it was truly inspiring to read your point of view on the nursing profession. You have to always look at the pros and cons of any profession. There are teachers who feel the same way about their jobs. They feel that they are underpaid, unappreciated, bogged down with paper work, teaching bad kids, dealing with silly parents, etc... The list goes on and on. Teachers and nurses are very similar in demands. So with any profession there are some cons, but most of the time the pros outweigh the cons. With teaching and nursing, you are making a difference in people's lives whether you feel like you are or not. Sometimes it might seems like you aren't making any difference, but that is a lie. You are making an impact on your jobs everyday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

J Bach in Jackson, Michigan said: ALSO....they have to understand that it's like being in prison. Rules and expectations and patient needs makes it very intense with little to no appreciation from management. MANY nurses feel picked on or harassed. They feel that they never receive any appreciation for working hard, they only get knocked down for not being able to keep up or for any mistakes they made.

I'm going to give you this bit of advice, and I hope it will help you. Don't expect any appreciation on your job. Don't expect a pat on the back of appreciation. Appreciate yourself! Give yourself your own pat on the back and go to work and do an excellent job and expect pay for your services. Jobs should be looked at as a way to support yourself and expect pay for your services. Jobs should not be thought of anymore than that. That will save you a lot of heart ache from expecting people to appreciate you. When you come to that point of realization, it will free you from a lot of things. People get so caught up on the wrong things or expectations. Jobs are strictly a way of providing income and you provide a service. I mentioned this before, teachers feel the same way about their profession. They feel that they are unappreciated. So it comes to the point, that you have to change your mindset about work. A job is a job and you need to view it as such! Anyway, I hope this helps! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

hoping to be RN/BSN in Kearney, Nebraska said: wow, good job!
I am majoring business administration/Accounting. But, I like being a nurse too. I am planning to do Accelerated 1-year Nursing program for non-nursing bachelor degree holders.

I am little scared to start though. I have to do my pre-reqs first. and getting accepted to that program is also though. Which school did u go to? where do u suggest me to start? How long the pre-reqs usually take? I heard that I can get scholarship or tuition sponsorship from hospitals. How does it work do u know?

thank you.

I thought about doing an accelerated program also. There are only a few colleges in the U.S. that have this program. There's an accelerated degree program at UMC here in MS. I heard that the program was really intense! 8 hours classes M-F. There is no down time. You even have to go to class during holidays. I think you only get two days off for Christmas. You eat, sleep, breath nursing with that program. I'm not sure if I want to cram 2 years of nursing into 1 year. That might be a little bit much. Anyway, you might be able to handle it. Also, they suggest for people NOT to work a job, not even a part-time job during that program. For one thing, you wouldn't have time because the classes are eight hours a day Monday thru Friday, and the time you have off after class; you have to use that time to study. I would only suggest those who are married and have some income coming in from a significant other, to do an accelerated degree program. Now if you are staying on a campus and have some support from family members, that might help out. Anyway, good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

75 months ago

It's not about appreciation. It is abuse. Unless you are a nurse you will not understand. You have to be a nurse to understand how UNSAFE it is. Everyone goes into this with denial. I was warned years ago and it is worse now than it was then. I watched it get worse for near 20 years. Many nurses will say what I have said here. Many people considering the field will look for pros and cons and then get turned off towards the truth of the cons and some will get nasty as seen here. But, when they get into the profession they get SMACKED with reality and see how true it is. Helping people? Taking part of the understaffing and nurse to patient ratios is NOT helping people. It is putting them in danger and jeopardizing their health. Again, you need to do it to see it. I don't know why people bother asking for "cons" when they don't want to hear it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (98) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

JB in Jackson, Michigan said: It's not about appreciation. It is abuse. Unless you are a nurse you will not understand. You have to be a nurse to understand how UNSAFE it is. Everyone goes into this with denial. I was warned years ago and it is worse now than it was then. I watched it get worse for near 20 years. Many nurses will say what I have said here. Many people considering the field will look for pros and cons and then get turned off towards the truth of the cons and some will get nasty as seen here. But, when they get into the profession they get SMACKED with reality and see how true it is. Helping people? Taking part of the understaffing and nurse to patient ratios is NOT helping people. It is putting them in danger and jeopardizing their health. Again, you need to do it to see it. I don't know why people bother asking for "cons" when they don't want to hear it.

I didn't ask for the cons someone else did who started this forum. I already know the cons of nursing, and I also know the cons of other professions. Every profession has cons, even if you are working for yourself you will have cons. So wherever you turn, whether it's nursing or another profession, you can't run from things. If you decide to go into another career, there will be cons. So what will happen is that you will run from everything. I just know in this economy, people are looking for a career that has a lot of openings. If you go and quit your job as a nurse, you will see how fast you will be running back to your job! Regardless of how many butts you have to wipe and dealing with bad attitudes, you will appreaciate your job because it provides food on the table and helps you pay for these high gas prices! So I really don't like to hear a bunch of complaining from anyone as far as a job goes. Be grateful that you have a job and found one in a profession that no matter where you go, you will always be able to get a job. *Continued below*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in Abingdon, Maryland

75 months ago

Can anyone who is a nurse tell me what the salary is because I try searching for it but I get all of these different salaries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

75 months ago

52-64k is not starting - starting is in 20's. Look up RN positions for hospitals in your area and it will give pay range - lowest is new nurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

(On a new nurses salary)...Can vary greatly. (location, facility, job requirements, ect) At a rehabilitation hospital in Nebraska, I started at (near) $40, 000 + benefits. However, there are many positions nationwide that I have considered that offer much more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

JB in Jackson, Michigan said: 52-64k is not starting - starting is in 20's. Look up RN positions for hospitals in your area and it will give pay range - lowest is new nurse

Where are you from that RN's start out in the 20's. Do they get paid that in Michigan? Even here in MS, they start out in the $41,000-42,000 range. Did you mean CNA's when you wrote 20's? If they work at clinics, they usually start out in the 30's here in MS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Patrick in Abingdon, Maryland said: Can anyone who is a nurse tell me what the salary is because I try searching for it but I get all of these different salaries.

Also, you could try salary.com to find out salaries in your state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

75 months ago

Sorry, the "20's" is HOURLY, not yearly. So 30,'s to 40,s' yearly would be right. I pulled in 50-60k in my early years doing overtime.

The pay for nursing is good, finding a job is easy but normally if they are hiring there is a reason and you will quickly find out that reason.

Nursing is VERY ROUGH! There is no way to compare it to "other" jobs and people not being satisfied with "other" jobs. You are dealing with patients lives. Every minute is pressing with demands and you have to be sharp, you can't afford an "off day." Unlike teachers, an off day could have a serious affect on your patient or a serious mistake or injury whereas an off day for a teacher could mean the papers don't get graded or the kids don't have to do as much work that day. Their lives are not jeopardized.

People always want to say things like...."deal with it" "change your career" "it's just like any other job" "you can find job dissatisfaction anywhere" we are "miserable" we "complain" - you will never know until you are in it. Most of the people that I know personally could NOT handle this job. I have tolerated it for years. UP2-sexy's two posts about job satisfaction were very appropriate and right-on. BUT, you have to take a look at yourself. Can you be that person under EXTREME STRESS? Can you handle the backstabbing and vicious nature of women in this field. I think I have seen more women with severe emotional problems and social issues in this field than anywhere. It is the extreme of the childhood playground behavior that women have NEVER outgrown. Miserable - jealous - catty - evil - devious - liars. I have seen what this field does to people. I have seen the fear and anxieties on humble new nurses. I have seen the most patient and stable - SNAP. Reading the flowery discriptions of the field do not phase me any more because there is little "beauty" left in this field. I am not opposed to hard work. Hard work makes me shine. But unsafe work...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (93) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

75 months ago

Difference between new grads of regular programs and students and grads of accelerated and I am surprised they are still doing the accelerated. But, this field has never cared about safety - just bodies and money. I know that accelerated programs are very appealing but you are totally short-changing yourself and certain personalities will NOT benefit by it. Clinicals and experiences are MINIMAL. Those people are the most overwhelmed upon graduation and in orientation.

All my advice and experience here has no value. I have seen how people enter this field for 20 years. No matter how many of us tell it like it is, people see us as complainers or whatever - but then I see how they enter.

There is a new breed of young nurses that have found a way in and never seem to ever leave the desk or lounge. They have figured out how to socialize for 11 out of 12 hours of their shift. The rest of us are too busy working to figure out there secret. I do know that when I work with them, their patients come to me for anything and everything as if they never see their nurse and I find myself caring for 2-3 times the patients. Have fun in that environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

To JB in Jackson Michigan,

So what are you going to do? Since you are that dissatisfied are you going to consider quitting? What area of nursing do you work in? It sounds like you are on a MED Surg unit. Well, like someone else said on this forum there are a lot of areas of nursing that you can work in. Have you considered a clinic, home health, or a school nurse? There are viscous females in every work environment. There will always be someone you won't like on a job. Also, with teaching they do have people's lives in their hands. What teachers do can make or break a child. Are they going to allow a young child to become a potential drug dealer or gang banger on the streets, or are they able to keep a young child off the streets and be able to produce the next Barrack Obama or Bill Gates? So yeah, teachers and nurses have people's lives in their hands and it's a serious service job and both can sometimes be stressful.

Anyway, you do a wonderful job of painting the picture of the cons of nursing. Can you enlighten us on some of the pros of nursing? I like to know all sides of things. :-) This might help both of us to know some of the pros. That way you can recognize the positive side of your job, and at the same time you will be providing helpful information for others who are considering the field of nursing! You might realize that your job is not so bad after all, and that you are actually making a difference in someone's life. You might even realize that the pros outweigh the cons. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

^^^Also, I'm not disregarding your concern or your complaints about the profession. I do agree that it is extreme to have people to work 12- hour shifts and expect them to be at their peak performance. That is very dangerous to have someone working who is sleep deprived. I'm sure most of the mistakes nurses make are probably when they are deprived of rest. There are only a few hospitals that have 8 hours shifts, and I guess for the reason of not wanting to hire enough staff or it could be because of the nursing shortage. I guess everyone is different because I know some nurses who are actually positive about what they do. I know a neonatal (ICU) nurse, and I know she has extreme pressure on her job, but she seems to be happy go lucky about the job. She also tends to not take the job home with her. She leaves work at the workplace. I guess people have to learn to detox there at the job and don't bring it home with you. I guess it is best to just not talk about work at home, and enjoy spending time with your significant other if you aren't tired. Go out for a drink or two after work! LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

cavitron in Miami, Florida

75 months ago

Charisse aka Cinnamon in Las Vegas, Nevada said: The Pell Grant have changed. You will have to pay it back if you grades fall below 2.0. The government has changed the laws and if you get like a C or above in your classes that is over the 2.o GPa you wont have to pay it back. So beware of the new regulations on pells. The gov did cause too many students were failing and keeping the money and not attending school and keeping their grades up.

Hello,

I was the one who posted this topic many months ago. I do appreciate all the responses from every single nurses. I'm listen to the pros and the cons and I'm weighing my options. Thank you to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

deborah dean in Columbia, South Carolina

75 months ago

why don't we unionize or strike? this is getting ridiculous!!!!! i think the public should be aware. it is them we serve!!!!
where is the action????? are nurses still snivelling and afraid to unite and make the profession what it should be???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.