THE CON of BEING AN RN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 2403)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

cavitron in Hollywood, Florida

94 months ago

Hello,

I 'm a dental hygienist and it's very hard to find a job. I 'm seriously thinking about becoming a nurse. However, before I jump the gun , I just want to hear from different RN of the cons working in this field. I do not want to make the same mistake as I did before. Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (384) / No (102) Reply - Report abuse

ibflossing1 in hollywood, Florida

92 months ago

May I ask you what are you doing now since you left nursing?

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida

92 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: These were your words:

[QUOTE="magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida"] [W]hy are there so many RN jobs? I'll tell you why, the nurses are assigned a high patient load and a ton of paperwork. You never finish on time and you barely get any appreciation. What you get is the blame for everything that goes wrong and you get treated like crap most of the time. There is no nursing shortage. As you can see there is always a waiting list to get into nursing school.

Whereas the article blamed the nursing shortage on unavailability of training - something you did not or will not address. I'll go with the article. It is more persuasive because it cites facts and figures and you don't.

Nonsense comes with the territory of nearly all jobs anymore. I know; I worked for attorneys for more than eleven years. Good luck with your next career.

(corrected)

I've been working in the health field for over ten years and I'm still in it. So I know what I'm talking about. I just don't do nursing anymore. Good luck to you if you decide to do nursing. You never know, you may just like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (90) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

deborah in Columbia, South Carolina

85 months ago

J Bach in Jackson, Michigan said: thevalueofhumanlife.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately, with the way nursing is today you become part of a system that makes you either guilty of participating in unsafe care or black-balled for speaking up about it.

Conditions are BAD! Nurses are overworked and unappreciated. It is very hard to train to do a job that your employers prevent you from doing in order for them to profit. Managers are more concerned about keeping their job and paycheck and have no loyalties to you.

Stay away from patient care and hospitals. They brought this shortage of nurses on themselves. Let them figure it out.

You will never understand how bad it is until you are in it. Even those people that tell you of all the rewards are not being honest about the intense demands. It is multi-tasking in a sense that you can never imagine....pushing humans beyond reasonable limits.

Speaking up will send you to the unemployment line where they will continue to tarnish your reputation.

Consider yourself warned.

i think this sums up the whole thing excellently!!!!! every point true, well established, and reasonable. i regret my choice as an lpn and i understand the rn as in the sense of dilema. we do the same things 99% of the time, but the pay isn't something you can count on to live. you will be one of the working poor. at least for now. there are only so many dollars in the healthcare system pocket, and nurses are not getting the same slice nearly as much as others. at least if i had a 4 year degree, i might be able to find a suitable job. i have a minor health issue, and with that could go out of patient care. too late now. can't do school either.
i think this comment above says it all, and i do not think it selfish to say, for once ,or for at last, let them figure it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (95) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Yeah I said it. in Hilliard, Ohio

85 months ago

I am a male registered nurse 26 years old, and have been an ICU RN for 4 years. Boy, what a miserable way to earn a living. As for J Bach's comment: "Not to mention.....it is a women's field and women are evil to eachother," this couldn't be more true, except they are evil to men too (you have to tread lightly if you are a man or if your face is youthful). I am thinking about going to medical school just to repay nurses for the way they've treated me. They have problems with their husbands, they bring it to work, etc. Stressed, fearful, zombies, all true, but mostly not because of the workload, but because of the way co-workers treat eachother and the politics. And any place that is "cush" is not any place you would want to work because it's probably so backwards your skills might stagnate. If you want to move on, you better have connections because recommendations involve politics, and are not necessarily merit-based, which also applies even to just leaving one hospital and going to another. Teaching is a joke post-grad. Anything you don't know is a weapon for "knowledgeable" nurses with "BNS" (Bitter Nurse Syndrome)to use against you.
As for the difficulty and "know-it-all new grads", I disagree with J Bach. Nursing is not rocket science, and after 4 years in various ICUs at many hospitals as a traveller, I feel I have plateaud and am bored, but I guess it would be like that in any profession, even medicine (you do 5000 bowel resections, whats another?) Older nurses put too much weight on their 'experience' when it's really just their fault they didn't move on. I like travelling because in addition to good pay, it's non commital and I can leave whenever I'm fed up. However, the downside is you don't get the comfort zone that you get as a staff nurse(and staff like to treat travellers poorly for a variety of reasons), so basically there is no ideal situation.
Nurses are the "whipping boy" of the health care profession, don't be a sucker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (284) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

J Bach in Jackson, Michigan

85 months ago

Yeah, you said it.

Another very well said statement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

stewart in Clinton Township, Michigan said: At least someone is sticking up for nursing, nursing is great. Everyone sounds so bitter, get off your butt and find better jobs, and they'll be a new graduate nurse to take it from you.

Please. Spare me. So, why don't you just join up with your denial. Funny thing is the newer nurses are the most overwhelmed and we have found that men are lazy in this field. So take your daring antagonistic wise remark and climb aboard. THEN speak up. We have seen enough newbies like you with your denial. Truth is that when you people come looking for the CON's, you have no intention of HEARING a word. Then you always have to come off with some antagonistic comment like you did to PEEVE those that know. So, don't bother reading our comments and don't bother looking for advice or anything else. Do what the rest of us did - jump in with both feet and see for yourself. Then see how easy it is to CHANGE careers after 20 years invested. Big mouths like yours are a dime a dozen in this field. You might want to hold your tongue until you have all the experience and rights to flap it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (106) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

"nursing is great"

LMAO

You better start planning now how you are going to avoid wiping butts, cuz that's what most male nurses do and the rest of your co-workers are NOT scammed one bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

84 months ago

Candice in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Sorry, I ran out of room. (Can you tell I am passionate about nursing? lol)
I would like to mention, I began LPN school when I was 20 and my son was 3 months old. I was working 24-36 hours a week (night shift), going to school full-time, and (exclusively) breastfeeding. I graduated in 2001. I then went back to school to finish my RN. My husband was also a full time student (and had been for the last 4+ years). We have 3 sons, and no other family around. I worked 30-50+ hours a week while attending full time for my RN. (This is difficult..and not reccomended. Our instructors cautioned us. The preference was for students NOT to work at all. However, I was able to maintain a 3.7 GPA. Unfortunately, I thrive on chaos. :) But a heads up that it is recommended to lighten your load while you are in classes.) Life was (and continues to be) very busy. But MY POINT IS, it can be done. If I can be of assistance, just let me know. Thank you.

Thanks for all of your encouraging words you wrote above. It is glad to see someone who is passionate about what they are doing. You find so many people who complain about their jobs, and it was truly inspiring to read your point of view on the nursing profession. You have to always look at the pros and cons of any profession. There are teachers who feel the same way about their jobs. They feel that they are underpaid, unappreciated, bogged down with paper work, teaching bad kids, dealing with silly parents, etc... The list goes on and on. Teachers and nurses are very similar in demands. So with any profession there are some cons, but most of the time the pros outweigh the cons. With teaching and nursing, you are making a difference in people's lives whether you feel like you are or not. Sometimes it might seems like you aren't making any difference, but that is a lie. You are making an impact on your jobs everyday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

J Bach in Jackson, Michigan said: ALSO....they have to understand that it's like being in prison. Rules and expectations and patient needs makes it very intense with little to no appreciation from management. MANY nurses feel picked on or harassed. They feel that they never receive any appreciation for working hard, they only get knocked down for not being able to keep up or for any mistakes they made.

I'm going to give you this bit of advice, and I hope it will help you. Don't expect any appreciation on your job. Don't expect a pat on the back of appreciation. Appreciate yourself! Give yourself your own pat on the back and go to work and do an excellent job and expect pay for your services. Jobs should be looked at as a way to support yourself and expect pay for your services. Jobs should not be thought of anymore than that. That will save you a lot of heart ache from expecting people to appreciate you. When you come to that point of realization, it will free you from a lot of things. People get so caught up on the wrong things or expectations. Jobs are strictly a way of providing income and you provide a service. I mentioned this before, teachers feel the same way about their profession. They feel that they are unappreciated. So it comes to the point, that you have to change your mindset about work. A job is a job and you need to view it as such! Anyway, I hope this helps! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (94) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

hoping to be RN/BSN in Kearney, Nebraska said: wow, good job!
I am majoring business administration/Accounting. But, I like being a nurse too. I am planning to do Accelerated 1-year Nursing program for non-nursing bachelor degree holders.

I am little scared to start though. I have to do my pre-reqs first. and getting accepted to that program is also though. Which school did u go to? where do u suggest me to start? How long the pre-reqs usually take? I heard that I can get scholarship or tuition sponsorship from hospitals. How does it work do u know?

thank you.

I thought about doing an accelerated program also. There are only a few colleges in the U.S. that have this program. There's an accelerated degree program at UMC here in MS. I heard that the program was really intense! 8 hours classes M-F. There is no down time. You even have to go to class during holidays. I think you only get two days off for Christmas. You eat, sleep, breath nursing with that program. I'm not sure if I want to cram 2 years of nursing into 1 year. That might be a little bit much. Anyway, you might be able to handle it. Also, they suggest for people NOT to work a job, not even a part-time job during that program. For one thing, you wouldn't have time because the classes are eight hours a day Monday thru Friday, and the time you have off after class; you have to use that time to study. I would only suggest those who are married and have some income coming in from a significant other, to do an accelerated degree program. Now if you are staying on a campus and have some support from family members, that might help out. Anyway, good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

It's not about appreciation. It is abuse. Unless you are a nurse you will not understand. You have to be a nurse to understand how UNSAFE it is. Everyone goes into this with denial. I was warned years ago and it is worse now than it was then. I watched it get worse for near 20 years. Many nurses will say what I have said here. Many people considering the field will look for pros and cons and then get turned off towards the truth of the cons and some will get nasty as seen here. But, when they get into the profession they get SMACKED with reality and see how true it is. Helping people? Taking part of the understaffing and nurse to patient ratios is NOT helping people. It is putting them in danger and jeopardizing their health. Again, you need to do it to see it. I don't know why people bother asking for "cons" when they don't want to hear it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (116) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

JB in Jackson, Michigan said: It's not about appreciation. It is abuse. Unless you are a nurse you will not understand. You have to be a nurse to understand how UNSAFE it is. Everyone goes into this with denial. I was warned years ago and it is worse now than it was then. I watched it get worse for near 20 years. Many nurses will say what I have said here. Many people considering the field will look for pros and cons and then get turned off towards the truth of the cons and some will get nasty as seen here. But, when they get into the profession they get SMACKED with reality and see how true it is. Helping people? Taking part of the understaffing and nurse to patient ratios is NOT helping people. It is putting them in danger and jeopardizing their health. Again, you need to do it to see it. I don't know why people bother asking for "cons" when they don't want to hear it.

I didn't ask for the cons someone else did who started this forum. I already know the cons of nursing, and I also know the cons of other professions. Every profession has cons, even if you are working for yourself you will have cons. So wherever you turn, whether it's nursing or another profession, you can't run from things. If you decide to go into another career, there will be cons. So what will happen is that you will run from everything. I just know in this economy, people are looking for a career that has a lot of openings. If you go and quit your job as a nurse, you will see how fast you will be running back to your job! Regardless of how many butts you have to wipe and dealing with bad attitudes, you will appreaciate your job because it provides food on the table and helps you pay for these high gas prices! So I really don't like to hear a bunch of complaining from anyone as far as a job goes. Be grateful that you have a job and found one in a profession that no matter where you go, you will always be able to get a job. *Continued below*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (57) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in Abingdon, Maryland

84 months ago

Can anyone who is a nurse tell me what the salary is because I try searching for it but I get all of these different salaries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

52-64k is not starting - starting is in 20's. Look up RN positions for hospitals in your area and it will give pay range - lowest is new nurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Candice in Lincoln, Nebraska

84 months ago

(On a new nurses salary)...Can vary greatly. (location, facility, job requirements, ect) At a rehabilitation hospital in Nebraska, I started at (near) $40, 000 + benefits. However, there are many positions nationwide that I have considered that offer much more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

JB in Jackson, Michigan said: 52-64k is not starting - starting is in 20's. Look up RN positions for hospitals in your area and it will give pay range - lowest is new nurse

Where are you from that RN's start out in the 20's. Do they get paid that in Michigan? Even here in MS, they start out in the $41,000-42,000 range. Did you mean CNA's when you wrote 20's? If they work at clinics, they usually start out in the 30's here in MS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Patrick in Abingdon, Maryland said: Can anyone who is a nurse tell me what the salary is because I try searching for it but I get all of these different salaries.

Also, you could try salary.com to find out salaries in your state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

Sorry, the "20's" is HOURLY, not yearly. So 30,'s to 40,s' yearly would be right. I pulled in 50-60k in my early years doing overtime.

The pay for nursing is good, finding a job is easy but normally if they are hiring there is a reason and you will quickly find out that reason.

Nursing is VERY ROUGH! There is no way to compare it to "other" jobs and people not being satisfied with "other" jobs. You are dealing with patients lives. Every minute is pressing with demands and you have to be sharp, you can't afford an "off day." Unlike teachers, an off day could have a serious affect on your patient or a serious mistake or injury whereas an off day for a teacher could mean the papers don't get graded or the kids don't have to do as much work that day. Their lives are not jeopardized.

People always want to say things like...."deal with it" "change your career" "it's just like any other job" "you can find job dissatisfaction anywhere" we are "miserable" we "complain" - you will never know until you are in it. Most of the people that I know personally could NOT handle this job. I have tolerated it for years. UP2-sexy's two posts about job satisfaction were very appropriate and right-on. BUT, you have to take a look at yourself. Can you be that person under EXTREME STRESS? Can you handle the backstabbing and vicious nature of women in this field. I think I have seen more women with severe emotional problems and social issues in this field than anywhere. It is the extreme of the childhood playground behavior that women have NEVER outgrown. Miserable - jealous - catty - evil - devious - liars. I have seen what this field does to people. I have seen the fear and anxieties on humble new nurses. I have seen the most patient and stable - SNAP. Reading the flowery discriptions of the field do not phase me any more because there is little "beauty" left in this field. I am not opposed to hard work. Hard work makes me shine. But unsafe work...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (117) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

Difference between new grads of regular programs and students and grads of accelerated and I am surprised they are still doing the accelerated. But, this field has never cared about safety - just bodies and money. I know that accelerated programs are very appealing but you are totally short-changing yourself and certain personalities will NOT benefit by it. Clinicals and experiences are MINIMAL. Those people are the most overwhelmed upon graduation and in orientation.

All my advice and experience here has no value. I have seen how people enter this field for 20 years. No matter how many of us tell it like it is, people see us as complainers or whatever - but then I see how they enter.

There is a new breed of young nurses that have found a way in and never seem to ever leave the desk or lounge. They have figured out how to socialize for 11 out of 12 hours of their shift. The rest of us are too busy working to figure out there secret. I do know that when I work with them, their patients come to me for anything and everything as if they never see their nurse and I find myself caring for 2-3 times the patients. Have fun in that environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

To JB in Jackson Michigan,

So what are you going to do? Since you are that dissatisfied are you going to consider quitting? What area of nursing do you work in? It sounds like you are on a MED Surg unit. Well, like someone else said on this forum there are a lot of areas of nursing that you can work in. Have you considered a clinic, home health, or a school nurse? There are viscous females in every work environment. There will always be someone you won't like on a job. Also, with teaching they do have people's lives in their hands. What teachers do can make or break a child. Are they going to allow a young child to become a potential drug dealer or gang banger on the streets, or are they able to keep a young child off the streets and be able to produce the next Barrack Obama or Bill Gates? So yeah, teachers and nurses have people's lives in their hands and it's a serious service job and both can sometimes be stressful.

Anyway, you do a wonderful job of painting the picture of the cons of nursing. Can you enlighten us on some of the pros of nursing? I like to know all sides of things. :-) This might help both of us to know some of the pros. That way you can recognize the positive side of your job, and at the same time you will be providing helpful information for others who are considering the field of nursing! You might realize that your job is not so bad after all, and that you are actually making a difference in someone's life. You might even realize that the pros outweigh the cons. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

^^^Also, I'm not disregarding your concern or your complaints about the profession. I do agree that it is extreme to have people to work 12- hour shifts and expect them to be at their peak performance. That is very dangerous to have someone working who is sleep deprived. I'm sure most of the mistakes nurses make are probably when they are deprived of rest. There are only a few hospitals that have 8 hours shifts, and I guess for the reason of not wanting to hire enough staff or it could be because of the nursing shortage. I guess everyone is different because I know some nurses who are actually positive about what they do. I know a neonatal (ICU) nurse, and I know she has extreme pressure on her job, but she seems to be happy go lucky about the job. She also tends to not take the job home with her. She leaves work at the workplace. I guess people have to learn to detox there at the job and don't bring it home with you. I guess it is best to just not talk about work at home, and enjoy spending time with your significant other if you aren't tired. Go out for a drink or two after work! LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

cavitron in Miami, Florida

84 months ago

Charisse aka Cinnamon in Las Vegas, Nevada said: The Pell Grant have changed. You will have to pay it back if you grades fall below 2.0. The government has changed the laws and if you get like a C or above in your classes that is over the 2.o GPa you wont have to pay it back. So beware of the new regulations on pells. The gov did cause too many students were failing and keeping the money and not attending school and keeping their grades up.

Hello,

I was the one who posted this topic many months ago. I do appreciate all the responses from every single nurses. I'm listen to the pros and the cons and I'm weighing my options. Thank you to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

deborah dean in Columbia, South Carolina

84 months ago

why don't we unionize or strike? this is getting ridiculous!!!!! i think the public should be aware. it is them we serve!!!!
where is the action????? are nurses still snivelling and afraid to unite and make the profession what it should be???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Brooklyn, New York

84 months ago

JB in Jackson, Michigan said: You rarely can leave anything for the next shift because they get nasty about it even though it is a 24 hour institution. Maybe you have to pee. Maybe your mouth is dry. Think you have time to go to the bathroom and get a drink? Not really. You really don't have time to take your break. Getting out on time at the end of your shift is a treat! Want more?

JB, Oh my God! that sounds scary. I was thinking of going back to school for nursing because I heard it pays well, but after this...I am not sure. Thank you for your honesty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: Your job as a nurse is about the same as other people's jobs. You will be surprised at who hates their profession. The reason why there are a lot of openings for teachers and nurses, because they are service jobs. You are in service to others. Teachers and nurses are parallel. You are in service to patients/students, parents/patient families, doctors/principals, etc. My sisters who were in the classroom hair eventually started turning grey and was coming out in places. Their stress levels were extremely high being a teacher in the classrooms, but they stuck through it. Now one of my sister's is a principal and the other one is a division director for the MS Dept of Education. They waited it out and stuck through it and now they are promoted and running things. The key is to stand firm and don't run! No matter how bad it gets with nursing don't run! Just try to wait it out and see if there are areas where you can be promoted. If you come in there with a smile on your face and play the game like some of the other people do and do your job with excellence, you will be running things eventually. The nurses that have the worse attitude about their profession, always remain working as a floor nurse and never get promoted. You need to learn how to play the game, because there is one! People that have learned the game, get promoted fast and eventually be in hospital administration running stuff even without the years of experience. I have heard people who never had experience working on the floor as a nurse, get promoted to hospital administration. For one thing, they have positive attitudes and credentials and they move up quick.
I disagree, teachers and nurses are NOT parallel. Yes, both jobs require dedication and patience. But it does not mean that they are similar, because they are not. Now, if a teacher works for a school with children with disabities, of course it is going to be more challengin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: To JB in Jackson Michigan,

So what are you going to do? Since you are that dissatisfied are you going to consider quitting? What area of nursing do you work in? It sounds like you are on a MED Surg unit. Well, like someone else said on this forum there are a lot of areas of nursing that you can work in. Have you considered a clinic, home health, or a school nurse? There are viscous females in every work environment. There will always be someone you won't like on a job. Also, with teaching they do have people's lives in their hands. What teachers do can make or break a child. Are they going to allow a young child to become a potential drug dealer or gang banger on the streets, or are they able to keep a young child off the streets and be able to produce the next Barrack Obama or Bill Gates? So yeah, teachers and nurses have people's lives in their hands and it's a serious service job and both can sometimes be stressful.

Anyway, you do a wonderful job of painting the picture of the cons of nursing. Can you enlighten us on some of the pros of nursing? I like to know all sides of things. :-) This might help both of us to know some of the pros. That way you can recognize the positive side of your job, and at the same time you will be providing helpful information for others who are considering the field of nursing! You might realize that your job is not so bad after all, and that you are actually making a difference in someone's life. You might even realize that the pros outweigh the cons. :-)

Wow, are comparing a classroom with an emergency? I am gonna have to disagree with you once more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

reba in Newport, Kentucky

84 months ago

Some days I hate my job to the point I could cry. At the end of the day though I realize I don't really hate my job. I was just pushed to the limit that day. Stress got the better of me and made me forget all the wonderful aspects of my job. In nursing the pros are sometimes unspoken and suttle whereas the cons are in your face. My sweet dear husband reminds me of the pros when I have a bad day. He says he is in awe of nursing. We change peoples lives and leave impacts on them every day whether they realize it or not. What we do is necessary even though not many people will thank us. It is so true when they say a nurse goes un-noticed when she is doing her job well but is only noticed if she is not there. People are usually not at there best when we see them. I have had people actually come back after they are well and say thanks because they realize how much we have done for them. So now I just take things day by day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

reba in Newport, Kentucky

84 months ago

I feel the frustration of this comment. I too have had days, many of them, when I realize I have been at work for ten hours and have not had a drink, gone to the restroom, or had a break or lunch. I am so busy that I can find that break where no one needs me or I don't have a task to attend to. Some of this is the place that I work. I hear not every facility is like this and that at most you just have those days from time to time but it is not constant. Anyone getting into nursing for the money. Don't. You will quickly realize that you have to have a passion for this field to succeed. You will become burned out quick because it is not really something that you have a desire for. The money is nice but it is not everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

Rose, I can't come up with much for pros to make it worthwile looking back.

1) It allowed me to raise kids as a single parent but it wore me out and sometimes affected my time off so I wasn't as good of a mom as I could be.

2) I owed a lot of money to get in this field and realistically there are other jobs that pay well now that aren't as abusive - yes there will be personality issues on the job but you will never understand how a day in nursing is until you live it.

3) I can't flower-puff it with all the "beauty" of "changing people's lives, etc. Yes, I can do something nice for someone or do something well that I know was done well but that doesn't mean the people before me are going to do the same. Also, as far as that "flowery" side of the job, more often than not your patients need something that you CAN'T give them because there isn't time.

4) Gone are the day of keeping wrinkles out from under patients. You will find that aides are so busy that the beds are thrown together and draw sheets aren't set right and things that could make you job go easier make it harder because other people do not put pride in their tasks. This lack of pride adds to you work day. Again, you can't understand until you live it.

On days that I feel that I succeeded in getting my tasks done without rushing unsafely, made my patients KNOW that I actually cared about how they felt and got through the challenge of the day, I feel good - successful. But that feeling isn't enough to make up for the flat out abuse in the field. Most managers are down-right evil. Charge nurses will give their favorites better assignments than others so certain people can count on horrible days and all the dumping patients. The intensity of the energy level required, inability to eat right, drink fluids or go to the bathroom and other areas of abuse make the pay not seem all that great - leaving many of us wishing we picked something different. I have been in the field for years..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

Rose, chances are you will not like the job. Only certain people like the stress and can overlook the abuse with their love of the medical field or making a change in people's lives. When you read those stories, you really have to do some inner-searching and decide are you "Florence Nightengale?"

The field keeps getting worse as far as the demands and lack of resources. When it takes you 15 minutes to get a blood pressure because of lack of equipment or equipment that doesn't work and you find this a common occurence - again - I have seen this in many facilities and many floors. When the lack of pride in other people's tasks and end products makes your job harder. You are spread beyond thin and it is a game that is played that for every second of your day you have so many things going on - so many interruptions - so many pressing things to get done. You are using every second of your time trying to stay sharp and prioritize and balance and deal with multiple interruptions while you have multiple tasks piling up on you. Most managers are unavailable and could care less how hard you are working. Others make themselves a nuisance when they are present. Most managers are totally unfit for the job but you have to deal with them. It's hard to get out of work on time, difficult to fit a meal in, go to the bathroom or drink fluids. That is more the norm than not even though you will hear it isn't like that everywhere. I have been to enough places to know that the odds are you will find that in most places and leaving one place for another won't change it. The reality is that if they are hiring, there is a reason and that's where those jobs are. It is hard to get into the better areas or units.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

deborah, nurses will NOT unite together enough to do anything. They will complain and show their misery but remain in denial or hide from any potential to fight to change anything. It has been that way forever. Nursing petitions are lucky to pull hundreds of nurses let alone thousands.

It's not going to change for a long time. The hospitals and government are comfortable with the deaths and injuries and those numbers are of no concern to make any changes. Patients will continue to be at risk in this environment because the hospitals and the government doesn't want to hear it. They know of the statistics but you will continue to read about it and never see anything done about it.

Any nurses that have grouped together are against the other group's "wording" or "resolutions" and cannot unite. Those groups are small.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

vhcHAWAII in Honolulu, Hawaii

84 months ago

Nurses, I work here in Hawaii as a Travel Nurses Recruiter. I have never heard any of my nurses say they wish chose another career. I have an idea :)I you know any nurses that are willing to jump on the "Nurse Travel Wagon", have them call myself or one of our recruiters and I reassure you that if you are a "traveler", you will love the job, the experience, the challanges and most importatnly, the people you come in contact with on a daily basis. Maybe its just travel to Hawaii, Im not sure but Nurses love working here! Aloha!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

vhcHAWAII in Honolulu, Hawaii

84 months ago

Hawaii has an awesome MDS assignment!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Tell me about it Honolulu!! I am seeking advice on travel nursing! Also, JBach, what facilities have you worked in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Rose in Brooklyn, New York said: Wow, are comparing a classroom with an emergency? I am gonna have to disagree with you once more.

Well, for a person who has never taught of course you wouldn't understand the comparison. Ask someone who's in the classroom, they would understand and agree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Rose in Brooklyn, New York said: JB, Oh my God! that sounds scary. I was thinking of going back to school for nursing because I heard it pays well, but after this...I am not sure. Thank you for your honesty.

Also, your motives might have been wrong to begin with if you let someone's opinion run you off. You need to have the desire to help the sick, and that should be the main reason that you go into the field. It's not always about the money, because they would never pay you enough to do what you do in the nursing profession. So you better not go into it for the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

vhcHAWAII in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Nurses, I work here in Hawaii as a Travel Nurses Recruiter. I have never heard any of my nurses say they wish chose another career. I have an idea :)I you know any nurses that are willing to jump on the "Nurse Travel Wagon", have them call myself or one of our recruiters and I reassure you that if you are a "traveler", you will love the job, the experience, the challanges and most importatnly, the people you come in contact with on a daily basis. Maybe its just travel to Hawaii, Im not sure but Nurses love working here! Aloha!

I know of people that have done traveling nursing, and it is about the same amount of work load that they would do where they are from. For one thing, they are too tired to even go and enjoy sight seeing after those long shifts. Also, they normally get the worst shifts when they are doing traveling because that is where the vacancies are. (7p.m-7 a.m shifts) So really, it is not a vacation it is hard work. I would rather travel to Hawaii on my own time, not for work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

Travel and agency nursing can be worse. You are contracted to places with severe shortages so desperate to pay the money for travel or agency nurses. You tend to get dumped on. Nursing is the same where ever you go. As far as that goes, it's just about getting the money to go somewhere else and work under the same conditions. Most agency nurses get dumped on and are scrutinized worse than the regular staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

I actually agree (with the teaching comparison). The fact remains folks, without teachers, there would be no nurses. Teaching is the foundation for every position. Now, how is there possibly enough gratitude shown to them (or compensation-for that matter-we all know how little teachers make in this country.)I believe the parallel to be true. For example, if 2Sexy means that the driving force behind ones deciding to teach is recognition, maybe they should get a hobby. There will never be enough "pats on the back" for those who guide/mentor our youth. I suspect most who teach do it for other reasons. The same should be said for nursing. In teaching, as in nursing, (and lets throw in firemen and law enforcement for good measure) perhaps the only factor great enough to motivate, is the self gratification for a job well done. And I suppose if a person is not resourceful enough to find a nursing job that suites them, I might go out on a limb with this one, but I am guessing that person probably has no true desire for change and would be unhappy no matter where they are or what they are doing.I have said it before and I will say it again. THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF OPPORTUNITIES FOR NURSES. Most of these "cons" are redundant; in that references are made to having multiple patients, upper management issues, no time to use the bathroom, get a drink, ect. I am not saying that those positions do not exsist. I am saying, as a nurse with substancial experience as well, that I personally have held several jobs that require ONE patient (pediatric home health) and TWO-THREE patients (hospital). (4 when we are short staffed...and before anyone says "Well, the patients must not be that sick"--Yes, in fact, we have some very ill patients.) The unit I work on is primary care. AND IT IS TOTALLY DOABLE. I have worked a few jobs that have allowed for weight gain, as I was not moving a whole lot. (Ugg.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Schools, state/govt, health offices, clinics, spas, radiology offices, home health agencies, hospitals, long term care facilities, rehab clinics/hospitals all need nurses....just to name a few. These jobs are everywhere. And I don't need to explain that--If one opens ones eyes- one could see for themself. The bottom line is this: job shadow. Network. Look online. RESEARCH THE PROFESSION. Make an educated choice. And hopefully, we can work as a team for the good of the patients. (One day, you will be the patient, too...Be the nurse who you will allow to care for you.-Peg Radke, MSN)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

As far as teachers.....I would never down-play the teacher's job or role. I have always told my kids to respect the teachers because they will never understand their job until they walked in their shoes and I personally could not imagine a classroom with over 30 students and over 3/4 them needing "extra" attention or not even wanting to be there - not to mention their behaviors.

God Bless all teachers as well as nurses!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Candice in Lincoln, Nebraska said: I actually agree (with the teaching comparison). The fact remains folks, without teachers, there would be no nurses. Teaching is the foundation for every position. Now, how is there possibly enough gratitude shown to them (or compensation-for that matter-we all know how little teachers make in this country.)I believe the parallel to be true. For example, if 2Sexy means that the driving force behind ones deciding to teach is recognition, maybe they should get a hobby. There will never be enough "pats on the back" for those who guide/mentor our youth. I suspect most who teach do it for other reasons. The same should be said for nursing. In teaching, as in nursing, (and lets throw in firemen and law enforcement for good measure) perhaps the only factor great enough to motivate, is the self gratification for a job well done.

You are exactly right! People should never go into teaching or nursing for recognition or money. They could NEVER pay teachers or nurses for what they are truly worth! There is a whole lot of work and dedication involved in being a teacher or a nurse. People that are outsiders wouldn't understand how much pressure there is involved with teaching in these days. Teaching is not what it used to be back in the day. With the laws of No Child Left Behind, and pressure for test scores; teachers actually have to work their butts off in the classroom. The days are OUT for lazy teachers. There is no more sitting behind the desk and reading to students from a textbook. Also, the pay is not what it should be, but it is getting better. As I said before, both teachers and nurses feel unappreciated and underpaid. Yet, with both professions there are some positives whether folks want to recognize them or not. Teachers receive laughter and joy from some of their students and wouldn't ever exchange that joy of knowing that they played a part of a student's success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

continued.... The same with nurses, there are moments and memories that they wouldn't exchange. There are times where patients make them laugh and bring joy to their day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Candice in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Schools, state/govt, health offices, clinics, spas, radiology offices, home health agencies, hospitals, long term care facilities, rehab clinics/hospitals all need nurses....just to name a few. These jobs are everywhere. And I don't need to explain that--If one opens ones eyes- one could see for themself. The bottom line is this: job shadow. Network. Look online. RESEARCH THE PROFESSION. Make an educated choice. And hopefully, we can work as a team for the good of the patients. (One day, you will be the patient, too...Be the nurse who you will allow to care for you.-Peg Radke, MSN)

I do agree with you that a person has plenty of areas to choose from with nursing. If they don't like one area, they can easily go into another area. If you are the type who likes beauty and fashion, you could easily work for a Spa. So those who hate their particular area of nursing, should step out of the box and try something different. At least with nursing, you aren't in a box! You can go into teaching nursing at a university, administration, or a director over a nursing program, etc. Also, you can even advance and become a Nurse Practitioner or a Nurse Anesthetist. So there are so many opportunities with nursing if you hate working in a certain particular area. I also agree with your statement that those who aren't willing to find another area just might not be content with anything that they do. They think that nursing is the issue, but actually they are the root of the problem. They will end up changing professions all together and find that they will run from that new job. The key is to stand firm and find other areas you can move into and advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

unfortunately the lpn has difficulty with these options. seems fairly dead end to me. in inquiering into travel and various positions, i am finding mostly only long term care opportunities for lpn's. some private duty. i have alot of experience and extra training, but am not deemed as a sutible candidate for these other jobs posted. even doctor's offices seem to prefer rn's unless you have had at least one year of prior office experience.
i am disillusioned with the lpn thing and have been at it for over 20 years. not much room for growth in the end. and i wouldn't recommend it for anyone interested in nursing. you just have to be an rn to survive in the long run. i even got accepted for a travel assignment....with the same pay as my local location offers, and the recruiter slipped up when i asked about per dieum saying, oh, we only offer that to nurses.......can i say 'huh' or 'duh'?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

wish the same was true for lpn's. there are some, but being an rn definately makes your options wider.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

oh, and forgot to mention, as far as all those opportunities, i disagree to a point. i know here and all over the country, they broadcast this nursing shortage all over the papers and news, but if 100 nurses went to any local hospital to apply, they will only hire the bare minimum they can get by with to save money. stretch one nurse 1 1/2 times at least.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

well, in ca i understand they have a nurses union and it is illegal for a nurse to have more than 5 nurses. tell me if that is incorrect.
otherwise, someone got their collective act together.
thanks for the response

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Jackson, Michigan

84 months ago

People act like there are so many options in nursing....there is more reality to that.

1) Most often times you need experience and you don't have it
2) It might require a bachelors or masters that you don't have
3) If it's that great of a job you are applying along with HOW MANY other nurses and it's like winning the lottery
4) They don't have as many openings as a hospital does so those opportunities are limited
5) There might be a TREMENDOUS pay cut

It's not right nor fair to lead non-nurses on into believing that it is that easy and that simple and there are SO MANY options. There ARE NOT.

Everyone is so quick to jump to stating that. Out of all the people that have state it how about answering these questions:

What is it YOU do?
What other of those opportunities have you done if you aren't now?
If you are doing something different - what is your pay scale?
How many other nurses are there in YOUR department - in other words - potential spots for the rest of us.
What experience did you need to get that job?

I see people make this statement over and over but I don't see the OTHER jobs that THEY have taken and know so much about.

Please don't use home care or hospice here. I want the UNIQUE OTHER areas!

Also, don't use Legal Nurse Consulting because that is almost a joke. That whole idea was created for places to make money on the education and certification of. Most of those nurses are working real nursing jobs to pay their bills and hoping consulting will work out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.