Hospital Unit Descriptions??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

kmicks in Batavia, Illinois

35 months ago

Hi,
I'm looking into nursing as a possible career choice, and I was just wondering, what is the average patient load/stress levels/burnout rates in various hospital units (ICU, L&D, LTAC, ER, OR, etc?)? Which ones are considered "cushy" jobs with fewer patients, and which ones are well-known as the more hectic/stressful/exhausting units?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Muskegon, Michigan

35 months ago

Hello Kmicks, Nursing-well! let me tell you the truth---I have been a nurse for over 40 years and it is the most wonderful, awful job you could ever have----patient load--any given day it could be between 1 patient and 10 on a good day-depending what area and shift you work, also, you get to work week-ends, holidays, summers, double shifts, any shift, short of help, Your bladder will always be full and your legs tired. But-I also have met some wonderful people, I have helped bring new life into this world and helped others leave this world, i have seen wonderful things and terrible things, I have cried with my patients and laughed at life. "Cushy" very few nurses have cushy jobs. good luck Linda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmicks in Batavia, Illinois

35 months ago

Wow, 40+ years of experience! Thank you so much for sharing your insight Linda.
I'd like to someday end up as a RN in Labor and Delivery, could you maybe tell me a little of what that's like?
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.