DWI and CORI check

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 439)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

wookieyear in boston, Massachusetts

82 months ago

I was in the process of changing career paths and have signed up for a ASN at a local college. This past semester I began taking some academic requirements for the program (A&P I & Human Development), then towards the end of the semester, I received a DWI. The charge is pending, and I have a lawyer. I am strict about drinking and driving, but this was purely impulse, and I don't believe it's a detriment to my moral character. It's a decision I regret immensely, and needless to say, lesson definitely learned.

However, if I am charged will this result in a failed CORI check? I live in MA (not sure if it varies from state to state).. I've been searching online for this answer weeks, but to no avail. Also, my court date is scheduled after the start of the Spring semester. I had planned to take A&P II a Microbiology, but if I have no shot at becoming a nurse (or even working in allied health in general), then I would like to drop said classes before being charged for them.

ANY input would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Millersville, Maryland

74 months ago

Be honest about you past. if you don't explain it to the board and they find out, they will question fraud. The board will review all information and determine if you should become a nurse. The boards know that nobody is perfect and look at the big picture. Don't hide anything and have a letter explaining in your words what happened, how you made it past that and where you are or are going with your life. Don't worry too much about it and good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

good guy in Natick, Massachusetts

69 months ago

Curious in Boston, Massachusetts said: I'm in nursing school in Massachusetts now but I did do part of my undergrad in NH where I was convicted of operating after suspension of license (I forgot to pay a speeding ticket and they suspended my license without ever notifying me). The conviction was in NH will that affect my CORI check in Massachusetts?
Thanks.

I saw my own cori recently.
There was an offense that I had in NH and it didn't pop up on the cori, so I think you will be ok.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

good guy in Natick, Massachusetts

69 months ago

Can anyone tell me if past drug convictions (felony) and dui's would absolutely prevent a person from going to work as a medical coder/biller? I've been clean and sober for quite a few years now and am looking to change careers. I'm taking some classes and doing very well. Is it to late for me to change or what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Weirdo in Woodland Hills, California

69 months ago

good guy in Natick, Massachusetts said: Can anyone tell me if past drug convictions (felony) and dui's would absolutely prevent a person from going to work as a medical coder/biller? I've been clean and sober for quite a few years now and am looking to change careers. I'm taking some classes and doing very well. Is it to late for me to change or what?

Absolutely will not stop you from being a biller or a medical records coder. It may well stop you from working in a facility setting, as they do criminal background checks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

shira in Bat Yam, Israel

68 months ago

Weirdo in Woodland Hills, California said: Absolutely will not stop you from being a biller or a medical records coder. It may well stop you from working in a facility setting, as they do criminal background checks...

this may not be accurate check here public-records.wetpaint.com/page/Cori+Massachusetts+Background+Check+(checks)+Search+ma+mass+cory+corey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

person in Winston Salem, North Carolina

68 months ago

wookieyear in boston, Massachusetts said: I was in the process of changing career paths and have signed up for a ASN at a local college. This past semester I began taking some academic requirements for the program (A&P I & Human Development), then towards the end of the semester, I received a DWI. The charge is pending, and I have a lawyer. I am strict about drinking and driving, but this was purely impulse, and I don't believe it's a detriment to my moral character. It's a decision I regret immensely, and needless to say, lesson definitely learned.

However, if I am charged will this result in a failed CORI check? I live in MA (not sure if it varies from state to state).. I've been searching online for this answer weeks, but to no avail. Also, my court date is scheduled after the start of the Spring semester. I had planned to take A&P II a Microbiology, but if I have no shot at becoming a nurse (or even working in allied health in general), then I would like to drop said classes before being charged for them.

I'd pull out of there. Nursing Boards need reform on their punishment of these offenses, but its not going to happen anytime soon. Many people have blown a lot of money trying to repair their lives after dwi. The Board will encourage you to continue the courses, but they will require you to pay a lot of money in random urine checks for a year, and having mentoring about your "problem." You'll be expected to label yourself as an alcoholic for the rest of your life. Trust me, nursing is not worth all that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Weirdo in Woodland Hills, California

68 months ago

shira in Bat Yam, Israel said: this may not be accurate check here public-records.wetpaint.com/page/Cori+Massachusetts+Background+Check+ (checks)+Search+ma+mass+cory+corey

I dont know what link you are referring to, but I am a medical records coder and background checks are done and extensively so for any facility you want to work in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mrslgrn in Corpus Christi, Texas

68 months ago

wookieyear in boston, Massachusetts said: I was in the process of changing career paths and have signed up for a ASN at a local college. This past semester I began taking some academic requirements for the program (A&P I & Human Development), then towards the end of the semester, I received a DWI. The charge is pending, and I have a lawyer. I am strict about drinking and driving, but this was purely impulse, and I don't believe it's a detriment to my moral character. It's a decision I regret immensely, and needless to say, lesson definitely learned.

Hello: You should have your Attorney plead you to a lessor violation (such as reckless driving or another)which may inviolve XX hours of community service and/or 1 or more months probation. The laywer will usually make this agreement with the prosecutor before you would go before a judge. The law does not to have to punish you beyond the intent and seriousness of the alledged offense. If a DWI would preclude you becoming/ completing your degree and you are otherwise a responsible citizen, then this is the best route to take. Cost should be from $1000.00 to $2000.00. I wish you luck. Steven

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lucy43 in New Hope, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

person in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: I'd pull out of there. Nursing Boards need reform on their punishment of these offenses, but its not going to happen anytime soon. Many people have blown a lot of money trying to repair their lives after dwi. The Board will encourage you to continue the courses, but they will require you to pay a lot of money in random urine checks for a year, and having mentoring about your "problem." You'll be expected to label yourself as an alcoholic for the rest of your life. Trust me, nursing is not worth all that!

Where did you get this information from? Is this the same for someone who has a DUI that is years old?

68 months ago

Hello " Nursing is not worth that!"
Your last remark says it all for "your outlook" on nursing.

There are those peole for whom it is well worth it. A person may only have a few things in life JUST EXACTLY the way they want it; therefore for them this would be a method of "Having your heart's desire."

This defence is how the near-wealthy and very wealthy achieve their
way in this society! Steven

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Binghamton, New York

68 months ago

I have been convicted of a dwai and marijuana possession in nys and a dwi in nj. I am graduating from Binghamton University 2009, but I contacted the NYS board and they informed me as long it is not a misdeamnor or felony, I don't have to list it on my RN license application. The only problem is getting hired becasue it depends on the hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I understand completely what you are saying but believe me when I say I don't want to touch any of these things ever. I do not want to ever go through the experience of being arrested ever again. I never thought of myself as a "hardened" criminal but employers may see differently. I was just happy to learn that I could still obtain a RN license after putting a lot of hard work and time. I already feel the difficulty of obtaining a position in a local hospital especially when everyone in my class are getting offers. I would never put a patients life in trouble as it would affect the only means I have of earning a decent salary. If I am able to obtain an interview, I would make it a point to tell perspective employers to test me anytime, anywhere. They could test me everyday for all I care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I definately think tour suggestion is very good advise for MA person!
Steven

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

StudentRN in Yosemite, California

68 months ago

I was just accepted to a BSN program in California. I have worked very hard to get accepted due to long waiting lists here. My question is, will a Marijuana ticket back in 2003 prevent me from getting licensed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anna in Brooklyn, New York

68 months ago

I'm a nurse graduate and has applied for my nursing license and is going crazy to know if i'll be permit to take the NCLEX Exam i've been arrested in 1993 for being in a van with some friends. highway patrols pull us over search the van and fing some stolen articles, such as, clothing and caps and other less significant items. these items belongs to a couple of guys that was in the van. i was innocent to the knowledge of these items. but i was also charge with a misdemeanor. and had to pay a fine of $145.00. Would my past prevent me from being a nurse. I'm living a very decent life putting God first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

tim in Binghamton, New York

68 months ago

annette in Dallas, Texas said: Just FYI. I am a R.N. in Texas. The Board here is totally unforgiving. I got a PI charge after my grandparents were murdered and went to jail in Austin, Texas where the R.N. jailer sent my name to the Board. From there I was investigated for a year. I had 2 DWIs 16 and 18 years ago abut did not report it and my license was suspended for a year. I now have a probated license which means I attend AA every week, call a 800 number every day for a random drug test and have so many restrictions on my license I can not get a job.

You should call the MA board of nurses and ask to speak to an investigator. Ask them directly what that DWI will do to you.

Good Luck & be happy you do not live in Texas.

Annette

Damn....that sucks....How come doctors get off some much easier? Anyway I just had a question...did you get your Dwi and PI while you had the RN license or before it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Telisha in Gary, Indiana

67 months ago

I live in the state of Indiana. Any DWI on your record out here you will not be accepted in any medical programs. I don't know if it is different in your state. Better to ask the school before you pay for those classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Timmy in Binghamton, New York

67 months ago

studentnurse in Oakhurst, California said: I live in California and a DWI will make it harder, though not prevent you from getting licensed. A good friend of mine got one a few years ago and he was told he needs some letters of recommenedation and to be prepared to explain himself in front of a panel, but that he can still get licensed. He actually just started the RN program a few months ago. Good luck!

I just graduated from a nursing program, is it difficult to get your RN license in California. I getting my RN from NYS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Timmy in Binghamton, New York

67 months ago

Telisha in Gary, Indiana said: I live in the state of Indiana. Any DWI on your record out here you will not be accepted in any medical programs. I don't know if it is different in your state. Better to ask the school before you pay for those classes.

What about a RN who wants to practive there but has a DWI before being licensed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Telisha in Gary, Indiana

67 months ago

Timmy in Binghamton, New York said: What about a RN who wants to practive there but has a DWI before being licensed?

Well in the State of Indiana a DWI is a felony, they do not take lightly to DWI's. A felony keeps you out of any medical program so you wont event be able to apply for the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Evan in Levittown, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

Hello All.
I am a 25 year old Penn State Grad who has a bit of a past. Unfortunately, I was an opiate addict for a couple years in college and managed to rack up a few misdemeanors. No felonies, no theft charges, no distribution or anything like that - just a handful of paraphernalia and possession of a small amount of marijuana charges. I am having trouble finding a job that I like, so I am considering going back to school for nursing. I love helping people and I think the career would be very rewarding and fitting for me. Will these black marks on my past prevent me from perusing a career that I may truly love? What should I do?
Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1mrnurse in Corpus Christi, Texas

67 months ago

As Recovering Alcohols know by heart, You must not be around what you have/ have had an addiction toward. I very strongly advise/recommend that you should not persue a nursing career because you would always and forever to around the very substances that you have already been tempted by. Besides being a temptation to you; it would jepordize the patients who would be under your care. There is an old axiom in nursing: the nurse cannot be more needy than the patients they care for. Sorry, 1mrnurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

You did not answer my question at all. I know where to get those substances and could if I so chose daily. My brother is a type one diabetic so there are needles all over the house. They rub it in my face as much as anything could. I have made the active decision to no longer use. I am over the temptation. My question is, **will the board consider me?** Not can I handle the job myself, oh wise one.
Not to mention the fact that it would be absolutely ridiculous to risk my entire career over stealing medication... I pitty people with that little self control.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ferreira C in Springfield, Massachusetts

67 months ago

It is so great that you are not confused by that response. Be yourself, trust your heart, mind and your spirit. Because you have done some mistakes in the past, they should be in the past. Any organization, institution or person that still hold mistakes of the past in the present has lots to learn. Its their problem not yours,

Best,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MrT in Binghamton, New York

67 months ago

The problem is many people seem to automatically assume that once you get a dwi, you are an Alcoholic. This could further from the truth depening on the case. If you were to look at this statistically, I think many of the people who are arrested for dwi's young adults who were drinking because they were partying and/or socializing. It is completely wrong to assume that people with dwi's are alcoholics. There are people who have never committed a crime in their life besides dwi. This is not to say that this acceptable but they are not violent criminals. To keep someone out of the profession is completely wrong. Do you have any idea how many doctors are caught using illegaL substances, but you never hear about it because they have diversion programs set up to help them overcome their addictions and still allow them to practice medicine. So, to all the peoplewho feel so strongly against the licensing of medical professionals who have/had substance abuse problems, where's your logic now? IF doc's can get away from it, then why can't nurses have a similar opportunity to help themselves. Seems like a double standard to me. If you have ever been convicted of a crime you can always tie it to job performance. I could connect disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, blasting loud music, etc to risky behavior in a medical profession. Therefore, the incentive of changing your life goes out the window.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Hello: One thing you said stood out prominently. California wants arrest record, then convictions listed. Most citizens are not aware that even if you were found totally innocent of DWI, your employer would FOREVER (40,50 or 100 yrs) should show your arrest for DWI. How many people know that fact. 1mrnurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Hello: As you should know, an arrest record will forever show any, any, any arrest you have ever been arrested for. You do have the option of showing by certified court record that the charge was dismissed. But how many employers would even ask; most presume that if you were arrested for a charge obviously you were guilty.
It is not fare but it is true. 1mrnurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Isabel in San Bruno, California

67 months ago

Yes 1mrnurse. That is why I listed that fact. California is that strict. Even if my DUI was dropped, which I doubt will even happen, my arrest for the DUI would need to be disclosed to the California Boards. I am totally aware of this. Any arrest even if NOT convicted MAY hold me back from being licensed in California. That is why I am terrified that I may never become licensed in California. I have never been so devastated. :(

Advice anyone? I am still losing sleep over this dilemma.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

"You have a person's life in your hands @ all times. This is not a job to play around with. Sorry if I upset anyone."

You only upset me because you sound like an idiot. Clearly we all feel the job is important and I would assume that we all understand someone's life is nothing to toy around with. Once again, most of the people here on this board are looking for advice on how to overcome mistakes they have made in their PAST. Thanks for the holier than thou commentary though, I'm sure you've never done anything wrong in your life...

Seriously though, here is an example of our horrible "justice" system at work. One of my closest friends does the hiring (of Therapeutic Staff Support) for a company that helps children with autism. She interviewed a candidate who was practically perfect for the job. She was excited to get him on board and excited that he was even more qualified than the people she usually hires. However, when her company ran a background check, he failed because in 1972 he was arrested for possession of a small amount of marijuana. He could have been the best TSS ever. Helped hundreds of kids all over the autism spectrum. Changed and potentially even saved lives. BUT company policy prevented her from hiring him (because they are a bunch of closed minded idiots.)

These types of situations are heinous. Sad. Unjust.

If he was hired, I don't think he would have "played around" with his job either.

This same closed minded logic is keeping me and many others from advancing our careers. Can anyone justify this ridiculousness??? I'd like to hear you try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ferreira C in Springfield, Massachusetts

67 months ago

your should keep your logic for yourself. Don't sell it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

hello: As you say, it probably cannot be justified; BUT it is reality. Their are so many things in this world that should not be but ARE. Just to let you know any miscues I have had, real or imagined in the eye of the beholder, I surely have bourne the price 1001 times. It is the cost of "doing your thing." If one cannot pay the price over and over again, they probably should not work in that particular kitchen. 1mrnurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Hello: I could only sell it to those who could buy it.
Reality is a harse task master and many times in life, as a nurse, one is subject to the other's concepts of reality. 1mrnurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Manilaboy in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

i got charge of property theft in Cali while i was working as a cashier in a retail store 2 yrs. ago it was really stupid. I didn't even steal anything, i just rang a coworker knowing that he was changing prices on the items. It was really stupid of me for doing it and i learned my lesson.

My question is, once i get my misdemeanor expunged, do i still need to tell the RN Licencing Board about my arrest or will my misdemeanor record still show on the background check even though its been expunged?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

hellO; Of course you should check with the local police department by requesting your own "arrest record" from them. This will be the same information given to a licensing board and EACH prospective employer for the rest of your work career. Arrest records ALWAYS show what you have been arrested for; NOT what you have been convicted for, or had expunged. You must request yourself your conviction record in that applicable court.Even if as you say "it was expunged," tou need to have your documentation ON-HAND IN ADVANCE if questioned by a licensing board or prospective employer. 1mrnurse

66 months ago

Hello: Of course you will need legal council; The ONLY way to methodically attack this problem will be or can be successfully handled by a professional, a lawyer. I consider that you will have to post bond (whatever the cost), then at your arrangement appearance you will be represented by council who would enter a plea of not guilty ( Not NOLO- CONTENDERE ). Then the next step by the lawyer would be to bargain to a lessor plea such as reckless driving to dismiss the DWI. This would assuredly involve court ordered comunity service of XX hours to be performed while on court ordered probation, as well as a montary fine, court cost and your lawyers fees.
What you would get from this is: your arrest record would FOREVER show up as DWI and your would have to answer YES to "Have you ever been on court ordered probation?"
The good news is that you would have avoided a CONVICTION of DWI (despite the immediate cost) and with your lawyers finess will still be
able to satisfy your states requirements for licensure. Your laywer could successfully argue that your possible contributions as a nurse to society would be the basis for a lessor charge. It is an addage of the court that: the punishment should be preportional to the offense." 1mrnurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

zarskyspace in New Bern, North Carolina

66 months ago

I'm trying to get a Respiratory license in Nort Carolin. i have 3 DUI's and lost my license in AZ in 2005. My DUI's were during a 2 year period following my husbnds suicide. I was also diagnosed after all that as bi-polar. I've been through extensive substance abuse treatment as well as on-going counseling and meication. One was a felony DUI as it was the third. I'min my 2nd year of 3 years probation. Do I stand a chance,or did I waste all that money for nothing?

Hope sombody can answer.

Thanks

66 months ago

In your case, I think you are wasting your time but I would check with the licensing board anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Hello: I am sincere when I say that I sincerely feel your pain in your situation. Please allow me to explain this by saying that in my case, having to carry around the mental baggage of being a Viet Nam Combat veteran and then trying to serve others in a consistant humanitarian manner for 40 years makes me infinately sympathetic ti you in your situation. However the overriding thing to consider here is: Some times very bad things happen to good people. It may not feel right or fair but it is society's and should be your reality. In my case, I wanted genuinely to have a humanitarian worklife; however I spent 40 years doing entry level work as a nurse. It was a choice that I made because despite being very book-wise intelligent and very, very hard working AND willing to tolerate very,very shabby everyday treatment by co-workers, I knew that WAS THE PLACE/ POSITION I WOULD HAVE TO REMAIN because my veteran related periodic depression, sadness and other factors would not be fair to the patients I would have in my responsibility If I had the added lifetime stress of trying to work in more administrative and responsible positions. I know that sounds kind of hard to describe but it is the best I could do.

Whwn I look back on it, I did the best job I could in many positions, but it was always trying to run a footrace with an anchor tied to one foot. Sure I could do it (and did)but to what purpose. For the patient or me.

So, looking at your situation from my experiences, would it not be a more enjoyable life for you IF you did reconsider and choose another line of work. Life is so short, why work in a line of work that may be a qustion mark over and over again and again, whether it is fair or not. It would be like being a STEPFATHER, you would start of with an imaginary BLACKEYE and go on to earn a real one over and over again. Pick something fun, something that makes you feel better not worse about yourself. May GOD hold you in the hollow of his hand. 1mrnurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

zarskyspace in New Bern, North Carolina

66 months ago

Thank you for your thoughtfull and heartfelt respons. I was very surpized by your comment. Your very personal take on my situation, gives me cause for thought I had not considerd.

Thank you

zarskyspace

Byron in Woburn, Massachusetts

65 months ago

Here's my spin. If you have convictions on your CORI, be prepared to be asked about them in the employment process. If you have charges that resulted in a non-conviction (CWOF-DISM, DISM, etc), then you MAY or MAY NOT be questioned about them, depending on the level of CORI access your particular employer has. Many MA SARP graduates, after completing the 5 year non-disciplinary program, have NO PROFESSIONAL RECORD of any wrongdoing, nor are they required to disclose this to future employers. However, some employers who have access to expanded CORI (childcare, schools, taxicabs, volunteer orgs, hospitals, etc) may still see you were charged. As a general rule though, if the charges were 5 or more years ago and resulted in a non-conviction, most ORGs will not even bother asking you about them, because of the potential slippery-slope in terms of the anti-discrimination statues in the state. According to the statute (c151B, S4 part 9), it is unlawful for any employer to ask about anything that resulted in a non-conviction. For this purpose, most employers, although curious, will not ask for fear of civil litigation. If your license is valid with the Board, your charges were dismissed, you will likely be OK 90% of the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nursing101 in Leesburg, Florida

65 months ago

Byron in Woburn, Massachusetts said: Here's my spin. If you have convictions on your CORI, be prepared to be asked about them in the employment process. If you have charges that resulted in a non-conviction (CWOF-DISM, DISM, etc), then you MAY or MAY NOT be questioned about them, depending on the level of CORI access your particular employer has. Many MA SARP graduates, after completing the 5 year non-disciplinary program, have NO PROFESSIONAL RECORD of any wrongdoing, nor are they required to disclose this to future employers. However, some employers who have access to expanded CORI (childcare, schools, taxicabs, volunteer orgs, hospitals, etc) may still see you were charged. As a general rule though, if the charges were 5 or more years ago and resulted in a non-conviction, most ORGs will not even bother asking you about them, because of the potential slippery-slope in terms of the anti-discrimination statues in the state. According to the statute (c151B, S4 part 9), it is unlawful for any employer to ask about anything that resulted in a non-conviction. For this purpose, most employers, although curious, will not ask for fear of civil litigation. If your license is valid with the Board, your charges were dismissed, you will likely be OK 90% of the time.

ok i was arrested when i was 11 for stealing collectable cards then i was arested for vandilisim and trespassing when i was 15 then i was arested for a paraphaneliya charge when i was 17 befor i got off probation i was arrested for a marijuwana and parapheneliya charge when i was 3 mounths past 18 years old the 17 and 18 charges are the only ones that were convictions i am 21 years old now and i want to get into the nursing field i have been clean for 2 1/2 years now and have records of passed drug testing will i be able to pursue my dream???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

fin in New York, New York

65 months ago

Hi, I have a friend who is a RN and would like to go to rehab for drug abuse. Will she lose her license and tenure at her current Hospital? I looked at NYS's NPA and was unable to identify the procedure for voluntary drug rehabilitation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SHANTEL in Brooklyn, New York

65 months ago

HI, I'M HAVE TAKEN THE ENCLEX EXAM AND PASSED,MY QUESTION IS I WANT TO KNOW IT I WILL BE ABLE TO GET MY LICENSE AFTER BEING CONVICTED FOR SHOPLIFTING 10YRS AGO? I HAVE PROVIDED THEM WITH MY DISPOSITIONS AND IS NOW WAITHING TO HEAR FROM THEM. PLEASE ANYONE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW SOME ONE WHO DID.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

NursingStudent

65 months ago

I had a similar situation. I was arrested for misdemanor possesionof marijuanna in the state of Fla and believe me this will haunt you! I didn't get booked or anything and I was not convicted but the medical profession will treat any arrest as a conviction. Unless you get your record sealed/expunged you will not be allowed into clinicals and will be unable to complete your program requirements. I had my record sealed and I am now in my last semester of nursing school but the battle is not over. I have to make a special appeal to the board of nursing complete with notarized sealed copies of all documents pretaining to this arrest to have the priviledge of sitting for the boards. I have been on the dean's list since I got into college and will graduate with honors but that doesn't mean anything if I can't take the NCLEX. Dot your i's and mind your q's YOU HAVE TO ADMIT ANY/ALL ARRESTS to the board of nursing.

queen in Hyattsville, Maryland

65 months ago

Hi,my question is I am worried to death because I just got my drug test results back from a CNA agency who said I was positive for marijuana. (Which I knew I was chancing it but that detox stuff doesn't work!!!) I am in Nursing school and the recruiter mentioned that this positive drug test result will be on my background check paperwork and can stop me from getting my RN license. Is this true? Just a positive test can stop you from getting a license in MD? Can this positive drug test think stop me from getting a job anywhere else? If this is true I am so screwed because I want to be Nurse more than anything...

Mr.T in Binghamton, New York

65 months ago

Florida is tough on your Background......I guess get licensed in any state and then switch .....work for a yr...and then go to another state......

Mr.T in Binghamton, New York

65 months ago

I dont understand your question if the BON approved you to take your NCLEX then should be no problem.....You cant take the NCLEX without getting cleared by the BON.....and you siad you passd and cleared the exam.

Telisha in Gary, Indiana

65 months ago

I am very surprised by the things I am reading in these discussions from nursing students and potential nursing students. Sorry if I upset anyone about what I am about to say... If being a Nurse is so much a dream to some of you why are you doing all the things to keep you from that dream. I don't know how every state operates when it comes to obtaining an RN license or a LPN license, but I am sure it is strict. They don't want just any one taking care of patients so they make it harder to become a nurse. Having DWI's and felonies on your record is really not good. I am not saying that one mistake made should keep anyone from becoming a nurse, but people really need to think about the field they are going into. Nursing is not a game to play around with and hope you win. Once again sorry if I upset anyone out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

SHANTEL in Brooklyn, New York

65 months ago

I must thank you guys for your support, i just was cleared by the BON to pratice nursing. i've recieve my license and would like to thank God for his mercies. i'm highly favor by the Lord who is forgiving.
Thank you guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.